homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
StJerome
Shipmate
# 9276

- Posted      Profile for StJerome   Email StJerome   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got another temp job. Its better than the old one anyway - its in local government. They have a proper lounge just like BBC's "Smoking Room" comedy! Pity you can't actually smoke there cos of some health blah blah.

--------------------
Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto: Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen

Posts: 264 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
eek! Got another interview for friday, that'll be one at 10 and one at 11. Got to see if I can change the times/dates, I don't think that I can do 2 interviews in such quick succession (they are about 15/20 mins apart.

Gosh, after interview drought, comes interview torrent.

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
StJerome
Shipmate
# 9276

- Posted      Profile for StJerome   Email StJerome   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
eek! Got another interview for friday, that'll be one at 10 and one at 11. Got to see if I can change the times/dates, I don't think that I can do 2 interviews in such quick succession (they are about 15/20 mins apart.

Gosh, after interview drought, comes interview torrent.

Good luck with those. I once did 3 interviews on the same day! I got confused with two of them and started talking about job 3 in interview 1. not good - didn't get that job!

--------------------
Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto: Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen

Posts: 264 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
3 interviews on the same day- that's hardcore jobhunting. [Eek!]
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for your encouragement - I have been offered the job I was interviewed for!

I'll drop by still to pray for you. I have no advice that has not come from here already: network, do a functional cv if trying to move sectors, prepare well.

Now all I have to do is deliver what I promised, but that's a worry for another day!

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

I got one of the jobs I interviewed for on Friday. I am now an equality researcher (civil service post) for 20 hours a week- I'm a PhD student for the remaining 148 hours per week...

... Good luck everyone!

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats Catrine!! [Smile]
And good luck to the rest of you (okay, us) who are looking for jobs!

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Catrine

Well done! Good luck when you start.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello everyone.

It appears that I am combining moving with finding some partime work.

All before Christmas.

All advice greatly fully recieved!

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well having submitted my PhD at the start of September, the world of work beckoned. Well maybe. I'd tried for various Lay Pastoral Assistant posts since January with no luck. Positive feedback, but no job [Frown]

So, since the start of October I've been job hunting. By Wednesday, I was fed up, only responses I'd had was rejection letters and the others said they would say if your weren't shortlisted. That evening, I registered at Monster. Then yesterday morning, I came down to a letter inviting me to interview on 14th Nov then that afternoon I got a phonecall from someone from a temp agency who'd noticed my details on monster and had a possible (temp) job for me and wanted an English version of my CV which I sent a cuople of hours later.* Haven't heard any more, but I'm a bit confused about etiquette. The temp job is only til the end of December so the other would be better, but if I could start the other one first do I take it? What if I get offered the other?

Carys

*I'd been meaning to do stuff to my CV all through October but procrastinated because I hate doing CVs

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never understood the etiquette of temp jobs either. Is it for a fixed term?

Sent in an application today ...

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*bump*

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

Took me a while to find this! We've slipped down to p. 3!!

Phoned up a personnel dept. yesterday to enquire about 2 jobs I'd applied for - I've not been shortlisted for either. Grr. Sometimes I wish I could have a rejection letter - better than not being told at all! But I suppose it's to save on paper and time and so on.

Well - next week I'll have to keep trying!

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Found a part time job!

I am picked up from my home and returned to my home.
(Glory)

I work when I want to and not when I don't.

Apparently they want me.
But there's no interview until I actually move.

So waiting...........

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all. Just been told I've got 4 months before my job disappears. Feeling seriously pissed off ATM, but it looks like I'll have to dig my CV out, tart it up and start applying for absolutely any job going.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Hi all. Just been told I've got 4 months before my job disappears. Feeling seriously pissed off ATM, but it looks like I'll have to dig my CV out, tart it up and start applying for absolutely any job going.

That's nasty. Hope you can make use of the 4 months.

I've still not found anything. Nothing came of the nibble from the recruitment agency and I didn't get the job from the interview either.

I came across a job that looks very interesting today. I could do all the things in duties and I meet all but one of the necessary qualities. The one I don't meet is that I do not have a clean driving license and the use of a car. However, nothing in the duties appears to require the use of a car. I was thus wandering what rules there are about requiring a car and driving license for a job. Obviously, jobs where driving is the job must have one, but what about jobs which require a lot of visiting -- health visitor, social worker etc? I have known a vicar who didn't drive. Especially in the light of the DDA, there must be some rules about the circumstances in which requiring a driving license and use of a car are necessary.

Carys

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd apply anyway. I don't know how it works in general, but local government jobs usually have a clause about the role being subject to reasonable adjustments. I also know of someone who applied for and got a job in the NHS which specifically required a car and licence, despite having neither. That job involves a lot of travel, and I think it's all being done by public transport.

Basically, if you're the best candidate, I think a lot of (most?) employers will find a way round it, DDA or not.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Phoned up a personnel dept. yesterday to enquire about 2 jobs I'd applied for - I've not been shortlisted for either. Grr. Sometimes I wish I could have a rejection letter - better than not being told at all! But I suppose it's to save on paper and time and so on.
Last time I was doing the job search thing I noticed that the employers who I sent Thank You notes to were the only ones who sent me rejection letters, almost to a one. I don't know if that's your experience, or if you are sending them, but it might make a difference if you're not. And yes, I hate writing them, and they had no effect on my eventual employment (as I was picked up after the first interview).

Hmm... I'm thinking of changing jobs in the foreseeable future (nothing particularly horrible about current job aside from it being part time and kind of dead-end). I'm also not sure I'm cut out to be a typist. [Help]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

quote:
Originally posted by mirrizin:
Last time I was doing the job search thing I noticed that the employers who I sent Thank You notes to were the only ones who sent me rejection letters, almost to a one. I don't know if that's your experience, or if you are sending them, but it might make a difference if you're not. And yes, I hate writing them, and they had no effect on my eventual employment (as I was picked up after the first interview).

Thank you notes? I'm not sure I know what you mean. Thanking them for what? [Confused]

Perhaps my total ignorance of this is why I'm not getting anywhere ... [Paranoid]

[ 04. December 2006, 19:18: Message edited by: Pure Sunshine ]

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
I'd apply anyway. I don't know how it works in general, but local government jobs usually have a clause about the role being subject to reasonable adjustments. I also know of someone who applied for and got a job in the NHS which specifically required a car and licence, despite having neither. That job involves a lot of travel, and I think it's all being done by public transport.

Basically, if you're the best candidate, I think a lot of (most?) employers will find a way round it, DDA or not.

Well I did apply and got rung to say I'd been shortlisted within 3 hours of submitting the application. Interview tomorrow. I have said I'm going to re-start driving lessons (and I've got as far as sorting out my licence which had gone when my wallet and mobile where stolen in May). Their reasoning is that the job involves a certain amount of travelling and given the state of public transport in Wales, it is not always feasible to do it by public transport, but they noted that for the temporary post travel might be less of an issue.

Rejection letters (or lack thereof is annoying). One application I did last week said they preferred emailed applications and then said that they didn't send rejection letters although they'd like to because the cost was prohibitive. If we are expected to email applications, why can't they email rejections? Similarly with online application forms. Surely there the process could be automated even!

Carys (who ought to go to bed or she won't be with it for the interview)

--------------------

Bittersweet
Shipmate
# 10483

- Posted      Profile for Bittersweet   Author's homepage   Email Bittersweet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Carys - how did it go?

I had an interview today too..I don't think I disgraced myself, so it's all down to how good I am compared to the other candidates.
Prayers for all in times of waiting...

Posts: 237 | From: Here and Now | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

Good luck Carys and Bittersweet!

I'm seeing someone about temp work tomorrow, so ...

--------------------

Bittersweet
Shipmate
# 10483

- Posted      Profile for Bittersweet   Author's homepage   Email Bittersweet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Didn't get mine - haven't dared ring up for feedback yet either...I hate failing!
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

((Bittersweet))

I hate getting feedback about interviews, but I was talking to someone in HR yesterday about how much information you can get if you ask the right questions. If there's an area you're worried about, ask "Did you think I was too x", or "Was my answer to y OK?" I'm going to give that a go next time I have an interview (hopefully before long!)

Any news, Carys?

--------------------

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

I have temp work sorted out for early January. [Yipee]
Hopefully I'll be able to get more when it comes to an end.

[ 21. December 2006, 13:54: Message edited by: Pure Sunshine ]

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Any news, Carys?

Once again, `it was a difficult decision but you didn't get it'. I'm bored of that now. However, the registration with a temp agency looks like it might yield something in January, although we delayed putting my CV forward for it until I'd heard about the interview.* I told them today to put it forward, but I've heard no more although the consultant said she'd phone in the next couple of hours (at about 1515). Hopefully I'll hear first thing. Possibly the relevant person wasn't around. I hope that does not mean that I have to wait until after Christmas to hear. But on the other hand, I put in another application last week for a job whose deadline was 2pm today** which I'm hoping means that they'll shortlist tomorrow so as to have interviews in January, otherwise why have a deadline on a Thursday just before Christmas? So, if I don't hear about the agency one until after Christmas I might have got the other. Aaaaaargh, it's all so complicated.

*Which took until this morning though on Tuesday they'd said they'd hoped to make the decision that day and in fact the letter implies that they did. They just did not bother to phone the unsuccessful candidates.

**I checked. The advert in the paper said the 21st but the info which one downloaded from the website (with the application form) said the 14th. I got it in on the fourteenth and then checked and found out that the advert was right.

Carys

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:
Any news, Carys?

Once again, `it was a difficult decision but you didn't get it'.
[Frown] I hate that phrase. [Votive] for the other irons in the fire.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
*Which took until this morning though on Tuesday they'd said they'd hoped to make the decision that day and in fact the letter implies that they did. They just did not bother to phone the unsuccessful candidates.

It probably does mean that you were close - we phone the successful applicants first and hold over some second choices in case the successful people don't want the job when they've had a chance to think about it - or have been offered their preferred job at the other interview they had that day. The people who are definite nos get phoned fast too, it's the second choices who are last to be phoned, when all the other answers are in.

I was interviewing on Wednesday, for the second time this term.

Hope that you find something in the New Year.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Interview on Thursday morning. I think I could do the job quite happily, although it's further away than I'd want to work in an ideal world. It's a good opportunity, though. I'm going to do a lot of preparation, so hopefully it'll pay off.

--------------------

Bittersweet
Shipmate
# 10483

Registered with an agency yesterday, got a phonecall last night re: a temp job (which I may well have an interview for this afternoon, just needs time confirming), and one this morning re: a possible perm one (part time)for about March time.

They're certainly efficient!

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Hoping for some more opportunities around the corner Carys.

Good luck on Thurs TGG

Bittersweet, how did the interview go?

Bittersweet
Shipmate
# 10483

Not this time, but only because I couldn't start tomorrow(!), having committments at our local children's project.

They didn't give any other reasons for picking the other candidate, so I presume I interviewed OK.

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

The interview went OK, but I'm still irritated at myself for not being able to remember how to do something they asked about in the test beforehand.

Never mind, I think I interviewed better than I normally do, so I'll just have to wait and see. They should let me know tomorrow.

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck TGG, fingers crossed
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
Hoping for some more opportunities around the corner Carys.

Well, I've heard nothing from the other application I put in and we're not at the three week if you haven't heard you weren't shortlisted stage. However, it doesn't matter seing as I'm typing this from work! The opportunity through the temp agency worked out and I started on Tuesday. Pay's not great, but it's better than JSA. I'm down in Cardiff Bay which means I have a half hour cycle ride each way. Well usually half hour it took me 40 mins in the wind today. Luckily I'd managed to leave 10 minutes earlier this morning. Back to printing reports

Carys

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
I'm typing this from work!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Nice one Carys!
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Ooh! Ooh! I got the job!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Just in time for me to be able to relax with a new little baby. [Big Grin]

--------------------

les@BALM
The Ship's Visionary
# 11237

- Posted      Profile for les@BALM   Author's homepage   Email les@BALM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm currently looking for work in Canada, but coming against the proverbial catch 22, without a work permit I can't get a job, without the offer of a job I can't get a work permit. But I keep trying.....

--------------------
il sole d'Italia mi è rimasto nel cure
Italia campioni del mondo ****

Tiggs the cat.

Posts: 1863 | From: Canada, eh! | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bittersweet
Shipmate
# 10483

Well done Carys and GG!
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Congratulations TGG, on both counts!
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Welp, just lost the job I'd had for the past six months. Since I think it was a bad fit from the start and a short term fix in general, I don't feel particularly despondent, though that could easily change if nothing happens for the next two or so weeks.

It's funny, as I was riding the train downtown so I'd have something to do before going home, I was even daydreaming about joining seminary as I didn't think I could be good for much else (and I mean that with no disrespect for anyone else on the boards, honest!

It's all kind of confusing right now. I really need to figure out what it is that I want to do so I can just get my rear out there and do it instead of try to find work "in the meantime."

All prayers and advice deeply appreciated.

[Smile] to those who have found, [Votive] to those who are looking, and good luck to all!

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ouch.

Just had a job interview of my own, please, please God.... it would make all the difference to my family's finances. The job I currently have has no benefits at all, not even sick days. I try to think of it as a paid internship...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Don't feel bad. Your current position sounds a lot like my last position. [Votive]

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Praying for you both mirrizin and LC, and for all those others looking for jobs atm
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you! [Axe murder]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just put together an application for a job from the weekend paper that seems perfectly crafted to match both my skill-set and career goals.

I hate this. Getting turned down for jobs for which I'm only marginally qualified isn't so much of a sting.

When nothing comes of this, it's going to hurt.

(Way to think positive, Took!)

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Fingers crossed Took!
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been laid off, after six years, since the previous lay-off. I'm keeping a positive attitude, updating the resume, working with a top-notch resume coach, who happens to be my wife, and not taking it too seriously this time.

So far, I've resolved six years of work into a page-and-a-half - needs to be tightened up. I'm writing a profile, but it's too much "I'm half horse and half alligator" right now. Maybe that's good - it's a brag, but one that I can support...

Henry

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016