homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am back to being a user rather than pray"er" on this thread.

I have been on a contract since October, and slowly my role has been whittled down to one manager. All the interesting parts of my post were taken from me over Christmas [Mad] , leaving the financial PA stuff. (If I ever wanted to be a financial PA, I would have applied for one).

Things came to a head this morning when the "restructuring" process was announced. - there will be no post for me in the "big new order". I knew it was coming, and was trying to get out, before things got really bad!, however now I know I have to go, it makes the future much less certain.

A few weeks ago, I decided that it was probably time to move on and started looking around. I found two jobs whcih I applied for. Both would be good, one is a "charity" post which would give me the design stuff back,both are within "education" of some sort.

I want the charity job [Big Grin] , (please God, X100 [Big Grin] ) however it has been extended after the closing date. (Me being the cynic I am thinks this is bad news! [Paranoid] ), however I am such a good fit for this role, and would stay a long time, etc etc. This applies for both roles, but one is a preferred role.

So back to the drawing board, to find Agent Smith a role which may last longer than 6 months as I haven't had a permanent job since I went travelling 3 years ago, and the paranoia of "no permanent job, no commitment thing" is rearing its ugly head again. [Paranoid]

Sorry this post has been waffly and long, I am now back to the "looking for work", and dreading the fact it will take 6 months (as that is how long it has taken in the past) of doing "agency" work and "looking".

It would be too easy for me to get one of the roles! [Confused]

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telepath:
Did you make this phrase up yourself?

quote:
On the one hand, the job is so far up my street that it's practically parked in my doorway.
Because I'd like to steal it.

Help yourself.

Good luck with the interview.

It will be April before I hear anymore about this one. At least. (HR Motto: The longer you take to appoint, the more you save in wages)

[ 20. March 2007, 14:25: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't usually post at work but am having a major panic attack about the future. The last two weeks have been fine as I've realised that I'm actually quite good at my job, just not in the right environment and definitely not doing the sort of job that I was led to believe I'd be doing when I joined. I've also had a strong sense that God has A Plan and that all will be well.

However, I told my manager today that I don't want to sign a contract after my six months' probation and so will be leaving on 30 April. What the hell have I done? How on earth am I going to find a fulfilling/rewarding job in less than six weeks? How do I avoid making the same bad choices that I made last time I was jobhunting? Am I even going to be able to find work to pay the bills? I'm absolutely terrified, scared witless, worried about the future and in need of a big hug. I know that my friends will think I've lost the plot by resigning so I need to be upbeat and positive when I talk to them about my situation - I just can't cope with any negativity right now. In my heart of hearts I know I've done the right thing but I really am worried about the future. Prayers would be much appreciated.

Posts: 544 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
EnglishRose - chill. Just sign up with a lot of temping agencies and you'll be fine. You have a lot longer than six weeks to find the right job, believe me.

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3509 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
English rose,
Your heart of hearts seems to be a good place to stay close to then!

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
EnglishRose, Telepath speaks a lot of sense. Take it easy, it's often difficult to step into the unknown and to close doors behind you, however, often if it feels wrong, the door needs closing.

Many prayers for you, but you'll be fine!

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yowza!

So, the other day a job was circulated through my college, I applied, the guy emailed me today saying he really wanted to talk to me!

He even knows me a bit - we were on at least one uni course together [Eek!] but hopefully he's forgotten who I was. Phone screening Monday at 3pm!

Plus, I idly applied for something I spotted on a job board - and the agent rang me straight back, all excited! And she put me in for the job! Makes a change from all the agents who have been telling me to take a flying leap. Plus... I told her my salary range, and she agreed, "yes, with eight years' experience, you certainly should be asking for that." [Razz]

So that's one interview, one definite lead; and tomorrow at 11am BST, I phone the company I interviewed with on Wednesday.

This is not bad, considering I'm not particularly looking right now!

Hopefully I'll manage to squeeze in some dissertation writing around all this...

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praying for you!!!!!

Hope this leads to something great. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
English Rose---deep breathing exercises are very helpful for stopping/managing anxiety attacks that crop up when doing something that is radically different and scary, and involves waiting in an in-betweentime. I am serious about the breathing bit. [Smile]
Telepath--great news! It's about time your worth was appreciated. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

So that's one interview, one definite lead; and tomorrow at 11am BST, I phone the company I interviewed with on Wednesday.

This is not bad, considering I'm not particularly looking right now!

That's great news! I'm glad things are going well for you. How's everyone else getting on?

Thanks to all for the advice and prayers. I'm feeling slightly more rational this week and signed up with a PA job board on Wednesday. Since then I've had several calls from job agencies. On the one hand that's really good news as I need some work PDQ. However, they're all very keen to get me more work as a PA/EA and I don't know whether that's where my heart lies - but it's a route I have to explore if I want to pay the bills! I'm off to see two agencies this morning so we shall see what they have to say. Hopefully they'll have a PA type role in the HR/not for profit/charity/government sectors, which I think would suit me reasonably well.

Incidentally, if anyone else is looking for PA-type work in London, the job board I registered with is Secs in the City Despite the awful name it seems to be quite popular with big name, reputable agencies.

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

EnglishRose, years from now when you're doing whatever it is that you really want to do, you'll realize just how much you learned from being a PA. I'm realizing it myself.

Anyway, phone conversation this morning; I have a second interview! More in the way of spending time with them so they can assess my technical skills and see how I approach learning new stuff, as there would be a lot of new stuff to learn in said job. That won't be until after I hand in my dissertation, thank goodness!

--------------------

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Phone interview with entirely new company in just over an hour [Eek!]

--------------------

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Well, as interviews go, it wasn't a bloodbath, but I don't think I did myself proud either.

It could go either way; I'll find out by the end of the week whether they want to meet me in person. The reason I think that they will not want to meet me in person is this. When I asked if they wanted to arrange a face-to-face meeting, they gave two reasons for postponing the decision to the end of the week: a) I'm busy with my dissertation until the 23rd and b) they are talking to several people and need to see how that goes.

Now even if a) is actually true, and they genuinely prefer not to make appointments three weeks in advance, b) is still the worst possible answer.

So, I'm not going to hold my breath for this one.

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Telepath, I don't think all is lost, some employers don't like to give anything away. Fingers crossed that this comes off for you.
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Telepath,
Is this a position you are really interested in?

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Well, yeah. It's a pretty cool looking product, and one that's receiving a lot of attention and publicity because of its perceived value.

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

Well, then, holding my breath. I wasn't being dense, I hope--just that in the wealth of recent interviews I had lost track of which were the ones that particularly grabbed you.
Hey, I still think that with all the possbilities you will come out with a great job!

--------------------

EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

quote:

Now even if a) is actually true, and they genuinely prefer not to make appointments three weeks in advance, b) is still the worst possible answer.

Not necessarily. Some companies have a policy whereby they *have* to speak to several people about the position, even if there's only one obvious candidate. They may just be box-ticking. Fingers crossed for you.

Last Friday's agency meetings were a complete waste of time. I wasn't impressed with either consultant and got the strong impression that they wanted to squeeze me in to whatever they had available rather than listening to what I wanted. Oh well.

The good news is that I had a phone call yesterday from an agency that handles PA jobs in my dream field. OK, so it's still PA work, but it would help me get a foot in the door. They're really impressed with my CV and want to see me on Wednesday morning. I'm so excited that they're prepared to interview me: I thought they wouldn't take a second look as I've been working in a different field. I just hope that it all works out as I really, really, really want this to be the answer I've been seeking!

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck English Rose, fingers crossed
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Smith:

So back to the drawing board, to find Agent Smith a role which may last longer than 6 months as I haven't had a permanent job since I went travelling 3 years ago, and the paranoia of "no permanent job, no commitment thing" is rearing its ugly head again. [Paranoid]

Any news on the job front, AS? All's been quiet from you lately, which I'm hoping is because you've been inundated with job i/v's!
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

EnglishRose, if you're a PA it won't matter much if you've been in a different field. At least not in my experience.

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by EnglishRose:
Hopefully they'll have a PA type role in the HR/not for profit/charity/government sectors, which I think would suit me reasonably well.

Do you know about the Charity Job jobsite?

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by EnglishRose:
quote:
Originally posted by Agent Smith:

Any news on the job front, AS? All's been quiet from you lately, which I'm hoping is because you've been inundated with job i/v's!
Thank you for responding, I nearly missed this one!

I am looking at roles within higher education, some I have found sound interesting, and the closing date for the one I really, really want has now passed. I am hoping for an interview for that one. (Please! [Help] )

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck Agent Smith. Interview this morning, panic, panic, panic...
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
Good luck Agent Smith. Interview this morning, panic, panic, panic...

Guess it's a bit late to wish you luck now! However, hope things went well. When do you hear the results?

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Smith
I am looking at roles within higher education, some I have found sound interesting, and the closing date for the one I really, really want has now passed. I am hoping for an interview for that one. (Please! )

Fingers firmly crossed for the job you want. I presume you already know about the Jobs.ac.uk website?
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Thanks for the support, EnglishRose, however, it went awful, I managed to keep my brain firmly in the off position all through the interview. I'm cringing just thinking about it [Eek!] . Still I suppose it's all a learning experience or something.

I hear about my non success within 7 working days, hurrah!

I have some other forms to get a filling in too, so at least theres some hope for more.

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A cuppa for Catrine - sometimes we're harsher on ourselves than others are. Fingers crossed that all will turn out best for everyone searching.

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

In a bizarre twist of events, I got the job. Shocked is not the word. (Thanks for your kind words Neandergirl, turns out you were very right!).
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurray! And congrats.

Still waiting for the results of their very, very LEISURELY search process.... [Help]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

Catrine, you go! Be more gentle with yourself in future. [Yipee]

--------------------

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay!

--------------------

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Hum! You know that interview I thought I had fluffed? Well, I haven't been asked for a second interview for that role, for these reasons: my lack of experience in the specific technologies in a distributed environment, and my asking price. He said he didn't lack confidence in my ability to learn, he just couldn't afford the time it would take me to learn right now. What he said also suggests that my asking price is appropriate for my experience, but more than he'd pay for someone who couldn't hit the ground running in the role I interviewed for.

What he did suggest was that I consider interviewing for a QA Engineer role that he's also recruiting for. He said he wouldn't mind my lack of experience in that area, so long as he was convinced of my commitment to the career change.

The thing is, I really don't want to be a QA Engineer. I have explicitly had the thought that I don't want to be a QA engineer. The evidence, such as it is, suggests that I'd be good at it. For one thing, I got the highest mark for testing out of all my uni courses; but while I was doing the assignment I just wanted to bang my head against the screen and end it all.

I'm sure I'd be very good at it, but, well, isn't it a stereotype that QA is for girls? Kind of "mommy will clean up after you boys, and doesn't want to be paid very much", reminds me of when I was a secretary. Maybe I've incurred the wrath of all the QA engineers out there who LOVE their jobs, are totally devoted to their craft, and earn more than any eight developers put together. I'm very happy for any such folks... I don't exclude the possibility of changing my mind, but I doubt that I'd ever really be one of them.

I guess I've got a little bit of the "go for anything that anybody offers you! beggars can't be choosers!" mentality.

I still have got at least one other thing on the front burner; the other ones don't know about my asking price, which would be near the top of their very wide range. They probably have figured out by now that it would be near the top, because every time they've asked me to talk about it I've suggested that we talk about it when we're more sure we're suited to work together [Snigger]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My w/end post contained the official notice of redundancy for my present post, and an invitation to interview for the one I applied for elsewhere in the organisation. So, so far, so good.
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

quote:

The thing is, I really don't want to be a QA Engineer. I have explicitly had the thought that I don't want to be a QA engineer.

Do you need to secure a job offer in the near future? How many developer jobs have you gone for and not got - would you be giving up at the first hurdle if you abandoned your dreams? Are there plenty of developer vacancies about at the moment?

Life's too short to do something you don't want to do unless there really is no other option. Don't go down the QA route just because it's the easy option.

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Originally posted by Firenze:

quote:
My w/end post contained the official notice of redundancy for my present post, and an invitation to interview for the one I applied for elsewhere in the organisation. So, so far, so good.
Yay Firenze! It looks like it's all going smoothly. With any luck, you'll have not only the new job you wanted, but a few quid's redundancy money in your pocket, and maybe even a little bit of time off before the new job starts, and minimal disruption to your life. I guess you think your chances of getting the new job are good, yes?

EnglishRose, very pertinent questions. I've only really gone for one developer job and not got it; that was the one I talked about a while back. And they strongly encouraged me to apply again later, when they might have vacancies more suitable for me.

The other one I'm going for, which I feel very comfortable about, has the interview on the 23rd. I'll go there and spend time with them and they'll see how my working and learning styles operate. The only potential issue there is that I've been working in a technical desert over the past several years, so haven't had daily experience of the tools and languages most places take for granted these days. A potential issue with that company is that they're in the process of being taken over, and it's going quite slowly. I would appreciate prayers that, if it's the right place for me, that it all falls neatly into line [Help]

And then there's this other thing that an agent has put me forward for, but I haven't heard more yet.

What makes me reconsider going the QA route, is simply that this guy seems to like me a lot and to be really keen to find me a suitable vacancy. He even offered to drive over to me for any putative interview, so that I wouldn't have to cut into my dissertation time! Isn't that the sweetest?

However, I've got to be realistic about my commitment to QA. Although I'm very good at testing, inspection, and all things involving scrutiny and methodically setting up lists of things to check - it just drains the life out of me. It makes me feel leaden and weary. The things I've done that energize me most, are pulling projects together in a way that involves being perceptive and creative, not only methodical. If I went into QA I'd feel like only half a person. At this point in my career I really have to make the right choices, because the next thing I do might seal my fate for quite a while. That's why it's also extra-important not to compromise on price.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
I guess you think your chances of getting the new job are good, yes?

I should be in with a shout, since it is the job I was doing 10 years ago. But there's the rub. I need to remember not to treat them to 20 minutes on what fun it was admining a library system with dumb terminals, phone lines and a processor running some weird pre-AIX dialect of Unix.

On the eager QA guy - I am always slightly suspicous of pressing offers. They may be totally dazzled by your multifold talents (checking how much more money might be on offer is usually the test for that one), or it is The Job From Hell. Plus, if he comes to you, and not you to him - you miss the opportunity to suss out the workplace, pick up on those little clues (bars on the windows, muffled screaming) which are so often helpful in deciding.

[ 11. April 2007, 12:36: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well having had a temporary job for nearly three months I'm back on the dole, sorry Job Seekers Allowance. Nicely my job was just under the 12week cut off so I could reclaim quickly. Am currently supposed to be attacking the PhD as well as job hunting, but that's not been happening, partly because a couple of interesting jobs (translating and subtitling) came up (pointed out to me by a colleague before I left) and I ended up spending much of Holy Week tackling the forms and test pieces for them. I now have an interview for the subtitling one next week. But as I said on the vocations thread, I'm not great in interviews. However, because I've gone for this job via a website that recruits Welsh speakers I've got a meeting with them the day before which promises practice questions which sounds useful at least. I was chuffed with my translating of some of the test pieces especially the one where I replicated the alliteration in the translation; that was satisfying.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

I have a telephone interview tomorrow for a job in the field for which I've just recently qualified (Yay!). If I were lucky enough to get it it would involve a whole lot of change including moving from one continent to another (Yay! and not so Yay!)and leaving a position (temporary and not in my chosen field) I've just contracted for (whoopsie!) but the position seems so very, very perfect. Very nervous and confused but so excited at the same time.

--------------------

EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

On the scary side, I finished work on Friday. [Ultra confused]

On the positive side, I've got an interview at 11am next Thursday with a leading art gallery. It's a PA job but in a field that I adore. I really, really want this job. Fingers crossed....

LC
Apprentice
# 12531

- Posted      Profile for LC   Email LC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Do you know about the Charity Job jobsite?

Thanks for posting details of this. I too am keen/desperate for a new job and the Charity Jobsite looks like it could be very helpful in my search.

--------------------
There is a crack in everything - That's how the light gets in.

Posts: 9 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck with the hunt LC, and good luck with the interview English Rose.
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Exhausted yay for neandergirl and EnglishRose. Bonne chance.

I told the eager QA guy today that I'm not an eager QA girl.

Second interview/tryouts with the most promising company on Wednesday week. Would be nice if I got it because I wouldn't be able to start for at least a month... I could watch telly for a month and eat crisps in bed.

--------------------

EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

Didn't get the job [Frown]

Had been promised an answer on Friday morning but heard nothing. Spent Friday afternoon and Monday trying to get hold of my consultant to find out what was happening (strange how they're always 'on the phone' when you want to ask them a question...). Was promised a phone call yesterday between 4.30-5.30pm but heard nothing. No phone call this morning but have just received an email:

"...there has been some confusion in the office recently and we just wanted to say that unfortunately you haven't been chosen for the xxx job..."

No useful feedback about why I didn't get the job. Am not happy and not impressed. Ho hum.

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

A cuppa for English Rose - maybe such a upsie-downsie sort of place isn't the best working enviro anyway.

I, much to my surprise, have been shortlisted for the perfect (or so it seems to me) position and they will 'be in touch soon'. Keeping my fingers, arms, eyes, legs etc crossed but tbh I'm really thrilled to have gotten this far and have a really silly grin plastered all over my face today. [Big Grin]

[Votive] for happy/good outcomes for all looking for work.

[ 24. April 2007, 21:22: Message edited by: neandergirl ]

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

{{{EnglishRose}}}

--------------------

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Aw, EnglishRose. They didn't have to be so rude and so flaky!

If it's any consolation, you'll get something else very soon.

So, I really feel that I want to work for the company that I've been talking about intermittently. I get the impression that they really want to hire me, too.

However, the company takeover is dragging on and on and on, and they can't give any firm offers until that's sorted out.

Today I had agents ringing me left and right. One is threatening to send me for interview for some horrid corporate thing with some big, big management consultancy jail. The way he was enthusing, I fear I might get it.

Then this other agent was ringing me up and sending me FIVE job specs to evaluate.

Where are the old-fashioned agents who'd just tell me I was crap and hang up? These other guys are just coming out of the walls! I feel like an extra from Dawn of the Dead.

Yeah, I'm aware of the supreme ironical ingratitude of complaining in this fashion. This is all good. But it feels bad, because I like the original company and, therefore, I hate all the others.

The company I like are going to phone me up at 11 tomorrow morning and tell me what stage they're at with getting their lives sorted out.

Please pray that, unless the company I like have some kind of mystery fault or incompatibility which would make us completely unsuitable for each other, that they could give me something positive on which to base my plans when we talk tomorrow! [Help]

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

Telepath,
Not wanting to put a damper on your hopes for one particular company, but have you met the buyout people? Do you have any information about them, and what their intentions for the company might be?

And hang in there.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keep going Telepath. The fact that you are getting a lot of interest is good!

I had a good week last week and seem to have collapsed this week. Working on tracking better.

I also determined that I do rotten in phone interviews so am working up "a script".

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

Sounds promising Telepath. Fingers crossed.

I'm still miffed with the really flaky way that the agency treated me earlier this week (they haven't even had the grace to reply to my requests for feedback about *why* I didn't get the job). Unfortunately I can't write them off completely as they're the only specialist agency in one of the fields that I'm targetting. Grrr.

On the plus side, it looks as though I might have a temp contract through another agency as from next week. I'll find out today. It's in one of my fields of interest and would add some new skills/experience to my CV so I hope it works out.

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why are people so vague about when they're going to tell you? My interview went alright last week (but that's what I always say) and they said I hear probably `at the end of next week' (i.e this week). It is now after midday on Friday and I have heard nothing! Grrrrrr

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016