homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is this "apply in your own handwriting" stuff about? [Paranoid]

Are we talking graphological analysis? Ability to write clearly and neatly without making mistakes? And whose handwriting would one use if not one's own?

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(My guess would be that it's about ability to write clearly and neatly and that you might type it or get somebody else to write it out for you if your own handwriting is appaling, Ariel, but it's just a guess.)

A question about referees (my qus are always about referees - doh!):

I'm trying to apply for social-care jobs. My most recent and relevant experience for these jobs consists of volunteering with a student charity while I was at uni. Each year the charity employs somebody (usually a recent graduate) to be a full-time, paid 'co-ordinator' for a period of one academic year. The best person to be a referee for me is the bloke who was co-ordinator 4-5 years ago. I've tracked him down and sent him an email asking if he would be willing to be a referee and if so could he give me his work contact details? He's replied saying that he's very happy to be a referee, but maybe he should give me his personal contact details since he no longer works in social-care and that might confuse potential employers. However, I'm slightly worried about just giving a referee's home address, personal yahoo email address, etc. Will employers think I'm getting my best mate / cousin / random bloke down the pub to fake a reference for me if I do that?

What does anybody else think?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you put against his name 'former coordinator etc etc at organisation x' and give details of how to contact organisation x as well as his current contact details, your interviewers can contact them to verify that he did work there. That should be all right.

If his current work is something else his work email address wouldn't help in itself. JohnSmith@BritishAirways could be your mate from the pub just as easily as JohnSmith@hotmail

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good point, thank you. H'okay, I shall do that and I'll email him back about it this morning ... really ... I will ... I'm not procrastinating on the Ship or anything ... oh no ...

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
What is this "apply in your own handwriting" stuff about? [Paranoid]

Are we talking graphological analysis? Ability to write clearly and neatly without making mistakes? And whose handwriting would one use if not one's own?

I did actually encounter an application which was clearly written by two different hands. However when I mentioned this instance in a Recruitment and Selection training day, apparently one would not be allowed to disregard an application on these grounds alone - the applicant might have a disability that prevented them writing more than a few lines at a time.

So I suspect the stipulation is to prevent the application being penned by your mother/hired amuensis/desparate-to-get-rid-of-you present employer, or at least allow them to bin it if it is.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re: handwritten applications --

There is at least one business here near me that needs new employees fairly frequently -- at least, I see their "help wanted" ads frequently -- which makes me wonder what the heck they do to people, to chew them up and spit them out so frequently --

Anyway, I always figured they specified handwritten apps to pre-screen for whether or not the person's notes and memos would be legible, in a small office environment.

Also I figured maybe someone high in that business might be into handwriting analysis.

But, a third thing that occurred to me is this:

The job is an entry-level sort of position with potential to accept a bit of higher responsibility in that same office after some training, or to use the training of 6 months or a year there and parlez it into something with a little more substantial paycheck at nearby, larger, similar businesses.

So, given the relatively low pay they start people with, and the young people or "job-inexperienced" midlife ladies they probably draw, they may simply want to make it easy to apply, even if you do not own a computer/word processor, even if you cannot type.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While we're on a recess from blow-by-blow descriptions of interviews . . .

How many ads have you answered where the employer is described as a "Growing and dynamic company?" If everything you read in the ads were true, then our economy would be expanding at a breakneck pace!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you want more detail about my job interviews? [Big Grin]

Heh.

Yeah, too bad a description like that so often means it's growing because there's nowhere to go but up!

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Did we congratulate Marvin the Martian yet on his new job?

--------------------

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had some good news on my own work situation - I had an interview for a Political Lobbying/Media relations group in London on last thursday, and they were impressed with me and asked me for a second interview meeting with some of senior members of the company on monday.

It could be a very interesting job, putting me in contact with a lot of different people and company, as well as offering a variety of roles in the job (something different everyday). I am naturally quite nervous about the second interview on monday - please pray for me on that day.

My thoughts and prayers to all those jobhunting at the moment.

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woo yay OCV! Good luck with the second interview!
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can think of at least one case, where if they ask for handwritten applications and then analyse it they will get the wrong impression.

The guy is dyslexic, to get a decent application in, his wife always does it! He just signs it.

He has two degrees and a teaching qualification (for Mathematics at senior school)

His wife has one degree and is a trained Librarian, but absolutely brilliant in her field. We just have not got her confidence up to a level where she will start her PhD.

Jengie

[ 03. November 2007, 11:37: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Right now all I've got cooking with any degree of certainty is the online training I need to complete to represent a computer/software manufacturer a few hours a week in a local electronics store.

Well, there's also a 3-days-a-week office job on the back burner, but since I have heard nothing from them in the week+ since my initial interview -- they were waiting for the Boss to come into town from his other location, so he could meet with me... I assume either he did not bother to come into town, or else he has already settled on one of his other possibilities. But we'll see.

With all I have going on right now, part-time work looks very very good to me.

--------------------

Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dang, Janine. I wish you were in Charlotte. I'm looking for someone to replace me in my part-time bookkeeping job, and from what I know of you, you'd be fabulous. [sigh]

I hope the right thing falls in your lap soon.

--------------------
~Penny

Posts: 1130 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

[Big Grin] Ask them if they want me to telecommute!

--------------------

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please pray for my interview in about 6 hours time.

OCV

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Done OCV- good luck !
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Went to the second interview with that company and have been told that they will be letting candidates know their decision on thursday, so it's a bit nerve-wracking at the moment.

Nonetheless, the pay for the job will be decent and for a small company they have a wide range of clients, and so expect new Executives to get working straight away on serious client work rather than just spending the first three months only doing the photocopying and "learning the company ethos". They've already discussed the salary being offered and asked me several times when I would be ready to start work. Thursday feels like an age away!

Anyway, also had a phone call yesterday and have been asked for an interview with another firm in central London tomorrow afternoon - so it seems like several things are going on at the moment. It could not harm me if the first company makes me an offer and then I mention that I had had an interview the previous day with one of their competitors...

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Got a call from a staffing agency about one of those data entry/office assistant type jobs that puts you at the heart of a big company -- long-term temp placement, so I could chase after getting on with the company, or I could just enjoy what I'd learn and who I'd meet, and go on my merry way in a year or two.

I have to wonder, with the possibilities right now of major health changes in my mother-in-law, and our plan to eventually merge households to help Grandpa care for her -- I have to wonder, do I even want a full-time job any more? Even one that seems so perfect for me?

The location is a refinery down south-and-east of New Orleans. I live south-and-west. The commute would be... not horrible. A time to be alone with my thoughts, listen to something worthwhile on CD, look at the changing seasons and the little towns along the older highway I would be taking.

(Yes, south-and-east of New Orleans ain't what it used to be. Katrina took away a lot of land down there.)

But then there's the expense of gasoline and wear on my vehicle. Even driving across town to jobs, at least I was in my immediate area. I could be home rather quickly if an emergency came up, and I'd usually have the chance to run off and pay a bill or run some other errands before or after work, or on lunch break.

Perhaps what I'll do is go ahead and submit my updated resume, as he recruiter asked, but tell him I'd need my hourly pay to be up at the highest end of the range they advertised.

That way, if they still want to see me, I'd go ahead and interview and see what happened -- and if not, or if they didn't want me thereafter, ah well, c'est la vie, c'est la guerre, que sera sera...

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, well. Here I am. I am in the fortunate position of being in a great job, so in no real hurry to move. The motivation to move is a result of 60hr week most weeks, I am truly wasted. Overtime is paid at a rate of 0p / hr. I laid my threats that if the working hours didn't change, then I would be on my way, and so here I am. I have done the agency rounds and been trilled at by the agents, have had one interview which I truly screwed up - but then it was my first interview in a long time and so I am just out of kilter with it.

I guess I am looking at a time frame of 6months for a new job, as I am really happy with what I a doing so I wouldn't be distraught if nothing happened for a while.

My boss knows my plans, he was the recipient of the threats to leave. He is giving me double-messages "I don't want you to leave", "i am not going to change your workload as I need you to do all this stuff". Shame really.

Well, I guess I just wanted to add solidarity to those job hunting - interviews are hideous and I am rubbish at them. I am excited about the new opportunities ahead of me.

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds reasonable to me, Janine.

My 2nd interview of last week was pretty much a waste of time.

feeling a bit in the "depths of despair" atm.

oh well...

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I don't despair too often... Mostly, I am rather incredulous when some interviewer doesn't fall at my feet, acclaiming my marvelousness.

--------------------

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, I can feel that way too, Janine. I just don't understand how they're having such trouble comprehending my marvelous-ness [Biased]

looking for that happy medium...

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
likewise, ebeth - i've had a call today from the so-called *job-support* company (quango jobs only for its own employees more like) and apparently, I have to be re-assigned to a different department because they have misunderstood my needs. This means another interview with a civil-servant type who then makes a *referral* back to the quango so that they can move my file from one filing cabinet to another (or switch me from database y to database x, that is, if they are even advanced enough to have DBs). [Mad]

So, this afternoon and evening I have spent signing up to a *www.jobsthisisyourlocale* site - very finickity to navigate and, even though I obeyed instructions to submit CV in RTF, it kept coming out a right mess needing amendment after amendment. Managed, at last, to apply for one job online and catch the last post for another which closes on Friday (which sounds quite fun - vehicle hire & waste carrier operations with bio-diesel an' all!)

Anyone else in the UK had experience of this type of website and, more importantly, any luck through them? (It appears to carry quite a number of positions that aren't advertized in the local paper.)

[ 07. November 2007, 22:25: Message edited by: Jahlove ]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bittersweet
Shipmate
# 10483

- Posted      Profile for Bittersweet   Author's homepage   Email Bittersweet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As far as I can tell, they're rubbish. They mangle your CV, and most employers don't trust them. I'll be intrigued if anyone has had any success from them at all...
Posts: 237 | From: Here and Now | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Please pray for me - it's the afternoon of the day that I've told I'll found out whether or not I have the job that I'd really like to get. I'm just holding on to the thought that no news is good news at this point: all the previous times that this company called me were all late in the afternoon, so it seems to be their M.O.

OCV,
feeling kind of shaky over the whole job-thing

--------------------

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

OCV,
If they've got any sense, they'll know you're absolutely right for the position!!! well, that's my take on it anyways.

best of luck to you

--------------------

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Thanks ebeth,

I decided to just call them and find out what had been happening. It turned out that they have been checking up on references and that sort of thing, and will let people know of their decision by tuesday at the latest.

Feel like I'm in limbo at the moment (and not on the ship), just waiting for the right job to come along and get a bit more of a direction for my life.

--------------------

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

Feeling a bit wobbly on the job-search front here. Not had a productive week at all, for one reason + another. Going to try and get an early night now, so that hopefully tomorrow I'll have some gusto available and might be able to make a bit more progress.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Sounds good. Me too. Of course that won't be for another five hours yet...

Got a reply to my emailed enquiry re: the outcome from an interview I had a couple weeks ago.

Turns out the lady has been sick, that's why she didn't reply right away; and that the boss wants to build up a few more prospects before he interviews.

Ah, well, I'm wandering around doing a million daily errands, it's not like I'm not doing anything at all. (I work much harder for myself and the family when I'm not working than when I'm working.)

Interview in the morning for more hours (different manager and product line) of public relations & merchandising & manager schmoozing at an electronics store.

--------------------

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

yes, I've had not such a productive week as well...

trying to reverse my fortunes

[ 09. November 2007, 11:54: Message edited by: ebeth ]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Interview this morning went well, AFAIK. I brought her my full resume (even though she should have been able to access it through HR at the marketing company she and I work for). Just as well -- at least I am in control of the format that way. [Smile]

Nice young lady, from Atlanta. Visited Bourbon Street for the first time last night. Should have seen her wide eyes as she described what she saw! [Razz] (She went late in the evening and sure didn't stick to the tame end of the street.)

I have one conflict day -- I'm an election commissioner, so should be tied up Nov. 17th; other than that I will be free to wander around a couple of electronics stores and tout some tech for a few hours on the weekends. This will crescendo at Christmas then probably end. (Unless I want to continue -- all I have to do to keep that up is keep wading through all the online training training training training training and conference calls...)

(eta more training, for realism)

[ 09. November 2007, 16:04: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

I've got another second interview on wednesday with a company I really didn't like the first time I went to an interview with them - but I'm going to go anyway for the experience of an interview. This company basically told me that the hours are "9-5" but "everyone usually works from 8-6".

I want a job, but I also want a life as well, and am also steaming ahead with my own project that you can see below. I figure that with my brains and my connections I could create something that gives me a good income and a lot of freedom, much more so than just becoming another corporate creature.

Here's hoping that the first company actually offers me the job - I really like the ethos of the place, the people there and the challenges offered. I've been told that their decision as to appointing the new candidate is now resting on their contacting references and getting further details. It now feels like a long wait until tuesday to get their final response [Frown]

--------------------

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another one sticking my head over the parapet, though I've been reading the thread for a while.

Am finding it fustrating at the moment that I can't even find many jobs that sound particularly appealing to apply for. Then demoralising when they don't even bother to reply just to say 'no thanks'

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Manda, welcome.
I'm sorry it's tough, but I think we develop a thick skin in the end. "Keep going" are the only words of wisdom from me.

Anyone willing to shoot up requests heavenward at 2pm UK time ...I would be grateful.
This is when I discover whether I can hack the great world I've re trained for.
Or whether I need to crawl back into my hovel and sit out my years doing daft jobs I would hate.

Thank you

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

Emailed my CV to an agency at about 11 this morning. Their ad mentioned phoning for "immediate interview", but I have mild phone phobia / don't think I'd present myself as well as possible over the phone, so emailed instead. Stated that I could be available for interview any time, including today. So now I am sitting checking my email every 10 minutes and hoping ...

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You may have to phone anyway - apparently email fixation is common in scientists, and leads to them missing things that a phone call might have gotten...

Me, I've just found that one of my referees is being elusive... That's all I need!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
You may have to phone anyway - apparently email fixation is common in scientists, and leads to them missing things that a phone call might have gotten...

[Waterworks]

I'm not a scientist. I just don't like talking on the phone much at all. Although, it's true that at least if you phone the employer has to respond to you somehow, rather than just never replying to an email (which seems to be what's happening with my applications so far).

Okay, who's hidden the confident-and-assertive - self-presentation-during-jobseeking pills?

[Frown] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only because it may help MST, try thinking around things this way:
  • I don't need any old job just to survive. I am not going to take any old job!
  • The application process is mutual. We are looking at each other. It is not just them looking at me.
  • I will make a list of things I want in an employer.
  • Phoning them to inquire about jobs gives me the opportunity to ask questions about what I want and GET ANSWERS THERE AND THEN e.g. How flexible are they over leave? Do they say 9-5 when really it is 8-6? Are they signed up to all the relevant equal ops legislation. Are they inspected? If so by whom and how do I get hold of the last report?
  • I therefore am going to set aside a specific time for phoning so I can be prepared and have the awkward questions ready.
  • I am free to end the phone call if I decided I do not like the employer or just that this is too much stress.
  • afterwards I will treat myself to .... for just having phoned
  • any that don't produce results are just practice and I can learn from them. Even if it is only NO-WAY do I want to be employed by that employer.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
[QB]

I'm not a scientist. I just don't like talking on the phone much at all. Although, it's true that at least if you phone the employer has to respond to you somehow, rather than just never replying to an email (which seems to be what's happening with my applications so far).

I'm not a fan of the phone interview or of phone communication in general.

But, unfortunately, people aren't all like you and me.

Would the job you applied for involve using the phone occassionally?

If it does, expect employers/agencies to phone you.

BTW, if the agency/employer has a preferred procedure, and you don't follow it, they may think you can't follow instructions.
I know I do with applicants who mail me resumes or put them on my desk.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

No phone-call making or taking involved in the jobs and I've only applied by email when the ads have actually stated "phone 0181 888 888 or email jo.bloggs@potential.employer" (okay, so so far all the job ads I've responded to have had email addresses in the ad, but still), so hopefully I haven't managed to commit any huge faux pas on that front so far.

Will definitely consider trying to pluck up enough courage to pick up the phone at some point and do my best impression of a confident phone-call-maker. Will see how life goes ...

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
wheeeeeeeeeeeee!
success.

Now I need to successfully volunteer for a while and a half.
Then apply for paid posts.

(this training is tough)

thanks

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy to hear one success in. Congratulations Ethne Alba.

Re: phone interviews, my sympathies. No words of wisdom. I couldn't do it, I know. Except, I guess, if I had to then I would find a way and I am wondering whether you could use visualisation to imagine yourself infront of a real live person instead of being on the phone?

Well, I had another rejection today which I am happy about. I didn't enjoy the interview, one of the girls was downright hostile, the other girl interviewing me made me feel uncomfortable by justifying being a bitch "well, we are all girls aren't we". Not the sort of place I want to work. Maybe I am spoilt at the moment.

It has to be right, yes I do want a new job but I am not going for just anything. I am fortunate in that I can afford to be very choosey.

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I got one call today, the marketing company clearinghouse thingy I'm signed up with has connected me with a company -- a large communications-related mega-Godzilla of a company which I shall not name lest they find out I did and sue me like Scientologists --

hah --

Anyway, I can pick up some few hours on the weekends coming up, representing them in some retail stores around here, merchandising and schmoozing. That's nice. Not sure I want too much more work than that anyway right now with my life in such transition.

The other computer/tech type company I originally signed up with, I'm not done with all the online training. Having three family and other close deaths in rapid succession the last few days, with all the extra running around that involved, sort of tore up my calendar and my mind.

I suppose I ought to tell my handler/manager/recruiter dude that. Somehow when he called to egg me on and tell me he was fending off his manager because I wasn't up and running yet, I just somehow didn't feel like telling him. It felt whiney.

But, really, I should tell him. Will continue the stupid online testing tonight and I guess email him with the info re: my schedule being messed up because of, like, DEATH. I'll leave that with him and he can pass it on to his superior or not as he likes.

--------------------

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Congratulations Ethne Alba! It's great to hear people getting on in the job market.

I'm waiting today to hear whether or not I have a job I'd really like. The post came this morning and there was no letter telling me that I don't have the job, so that makes me a little confident. I'm feeling a bit nervous about the whole thing to be fair, but if I get this job it could open a lot of doors for me in the future.

Having said that, I have another job interview (another second round one) tomorrow afternoon, so I figure that I'm doing something right.

Please pray for me today.

Off Centre View

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck OCV, with both. Good work Ethne Alba
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Didn't get the job I really wanted. I was told that I was in the top two candidates and was just edged out in favour of someone with a little more experience, but I was told it was a "photo finish" really and that they had wanted to hire both of us (though could not due to budgetary things).

I'm disappointed, but I also am positive that I got to a situation where out of 60 applicants for a jog, I reached the top 2 and the company I interviewed for described me as having a bright future. In fact, however, I am getting a little fed up with all those people who tell me that I'm going to have a bright future without providing me a bright present [Mad]

I'm going to this second interview for another company tomorrow. I'm going in with a bit of a devil-may-care attitude and seeing what they can offer me (particularly after they essentially said they expect everyone to work from 8-6 everyday for peanuts).

Peace to everyone else jobhunting at the moment.

Off Centre View

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:
Didn't get the job I really wanted. I was told that I was in the top two candidates and was just edged out in favour of someone with a little more experience, but I was told it was a "photo finish" really and that they had wanted to hire both of us (though could not due to budgetary things).

Have you considered asking them for a referral? Unless things are really competitive, they would likely be able to put a good word in for you at another similar company. Perhaps one of their corporate clients? It couldn't hurt to ask.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Sorry to hear that OCV. Hope that the job tomorrow is either positive or will be better than you anticipated.
Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grrr, having found a job that vaguely appeals, and written my application for their online form (fortunately saved elsewhere) the whole thing crashes when I try to submit it. If it doesn't work again tomorrow I think I will just email it to them and explain and hope they don't penalise me for that.

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016