homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:
Didn't get the job I really wanted. I was told that I was in the top two candidates and was just edged out in favour of someone with a little more experience, but I was told it was a "photo finish" really and that they had wanted to hire both of us (though could not due to budgetary things).

Have you considered asking them for a referral? Unless things are really competitive, they would likely be able to put a good word in for you at another similar company. Perhaps one of their corporate clients? It couldn't hurt to ask.
Thanks for your advice, Campbellite. I've already asked them if they would be willing to be contacts for me and to keep an eye out for me in their particular field(s), so I am going to consider asking them for a referral. I'm going to mull it over for a day or so, at least get this interview over tomorrow.

I'm going to keep on going!

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you one and all!

I'll continue to lurk 'til am in paid employment though. ...if that's ok

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course!

I just got a call from a private security firm -- not a financial security firm, investments & stuff, but a security security firm.

They wanted me to be an armed guard at a government office.

I was fine with that. I like guns.

But not at $8 an hour!!!!

Lord ha' mercy.

How would I even keep myself in bullets at $8 a blinkin' hour?!?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it looks like I've got an offer! All a bit vague at the moment - frustratingly so, after all this time - but nonetheless, nice to feel that someone wants me. Apart from the good folk of the Ship of course. What? You don't want me? [Waterworks]

Not sure about a career move as such, because in two or three years I may be facing the same dilemma again having got as far as I can. However for the moment I'll be learning new skills and be on the next band up the pay scale - where finally I am entitled to help from the Careers Service instead of having to beg for it.

If someone will employ me, everybody has to have a hope!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The job I was due to start on Monday has fallen through, so I'm technically unemployed from Saturday - though with a high likelihood that my current employers will have me back. I'm not sure what processes they will have to go through, as my position has been advertised externally to the company; I may have to apply and be interviewed.

I'm also moving to Glasgow this weekend having packed up my house in Wales, so I would have to crash at my sister's if I'm to be physically present at my current employers. I've written to the company that I was going to, stating that the contract I have from them entitles me to basic relocation costs and four weeks paid notice. It's all a bit of a mess.

TME

[ 14. November 2007, 19:33: Message edited by: The Machine Elf ]

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TME That really sucks big time. No helpful words of wisdom to offer, just sympathy.

I have a couple more interviews lined up but am feeling treacherous about the whole process. The guy I work through is having a horrible difficult personal time and I feel a bitch for imposing a new problem on him. Sure he knows I should look after myself but my nurturing genes are fighting against it. Pathetic really.

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's such a tough break TME. Hoping for a resolution soon for you.
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The second interview was okay, though they expect me to work a crazy amount of hours for not a great amount of pay. I'm not terribly interested in the role or impressed by this second company, but I should find out whether or not I have the job. My parents want me to get the right job rather than just "any" job in my particular field, though.

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It depends, I think, on the size of the organisation. When I first joined the Canadian civil service, I took a job for which I was definitely overqualified (and due to the weird pay structures at the time, I earned more money than my nominal supervisor!). But it was always clear to everyone that I would move on once a position opened. My supervisor left, and I took her job, and then a few years later a promotion opened in another area. Nearly thirty years down the road I retired, full of years and honour.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The time has come to move on and move out of London [Smile]

I've registered with an agency in Boston (Lincolnshire, not USA) but the man & I are hoping to be based in the Horncastle area.

Please pray that I can find work, if not before we move, then shortly after.

I'm not bothered about doing the same type of job as I do now, in fact a complete change would be wonderful.

Any ideas how I could go about it? I was thinking along the lines of being a classroom assistant [Eek!] as there are 2 secondary school there, as well as a couple of junior ones.

[ 15. November 2007, 19:45: Message edited by: Nanny Ogg ]

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:
The second interview was okay, though they expect me to work a crazy amount of hours for not a great amount of pay. I'm not terribly interested in the role or impressed by this second company, but I should find out whether or not I have the job. My parents want me to get the right job rather than just "any" job in my particular field, though.

I don't know how old you are OCV, so I may be way off here.... but if its your first job post-uni then I personally wouldn't worry about it being the One True Perfect Job. These days its quite normal to get a couple of years experience of work in after uni, and some places would even prefer you to have proved yourself before looking at a graduate. Its also worth bearing in mind that whatever you do you aren't stuck in it forever!!

On which note it looks like my health issues might make teaching no longer an option for me -so I will be looking for something new next year I think! I'm going to have careery/job thoughts in the back of my mind for the next few months but not actively panic about it until I've been for treatment at the hospital! I'm hoping I can claim "transferable skills" [Smile]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nanny-O! Hi! You want into the schools and Emma wants out! How waltz-like our lives can get.

Re: getting into the classrooms, things are different over here, so any advice I offer may have limited benefit --

But, there is always a shortage of good, qualified teachers here -- and sometimes, in the midst of 'flu season or when several teachers in a district take a leave (maternity, for example), there is a simple need for a good person.

I signed up, turned in copies of my uni transcripts, spoke to the personnel lady at the School Board, passed a background check (through the LA State Police, I believe), and there I was, on the substitute teacher roll.

I got the occasional call, and if I had bothered to go around introducing myself to the principals of the schools -- if I had promoted myself, if I had "schmoozed" -- I could have been working pretty much every day. And this without a completed college degree, and what education I had not in education.

I didn't chase after it, since the pay was only something like $50 to $75 daily, depending upon the situation. But, it was nice to have that there to fall back on when I needed it.

IMO, getting on in any sort of substitute or aide position that you can possibly sign up for is the way to go. Get the foot in the door. Then you can take stock, meet people, find out in detail about needs and trends in hiring, etc.

IMO also, more specialized aides, such as those who work with special-needs kids, are hard to find. I mean, even a person with all the right degrees has not necessarily got the proper mindset and heart for a job like that. But someone who can be consistent and conscientious and encouraging, someone who would educate herself re: what the law demands, what the school demands, what the client needs, etc. -- an aide like that is worth her weight in gold.

Then there are administrative aides, office assistants, etc. -- they are so vital things grind to a halt when my boy's school loses one.

Have you an interest in a specific focus, if you can get on at one of the schools?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The UK system is very different from that, Janine, says another person signing in having left the school system. Learning support assistants in classes are often mothers working around their children, at least initially, and their qualification levels vary. The teaching unions in this country would infinitely prefer that the only people in front of a classroom are those with a degree (either teaching or subject with teaching postgraduate certificate). Cover teachers brought in to cover teaching of classes where a teacher is off sick are qualified teachers. In fact, following big discussions about teaching hours, there are some cases where the person in front of a class is a cover supervisor, basically getting the students to sit and work on the work set by the teacher, who is on a trip, or off sick or a teaching assistant - but that's difficult to do as the roles are very different and even if the person involved can handle it, the students can't always handle that the person who would be supporting their special needs is now the person dealing with the whole class.

There is also entry via HTLA (Higher Teaching and Learning Assistants) who are higher qualified teaching assistants who can take classes, and often do in primary schools to cover PPP time (paperwork, planning and preparation time).

Teaching assistants are paid appallingly badly, certainly in this area. The current pay scale is roughly £12,000 pa, but pro rata for working 25 hours per week and only 44 weeks (including 4 weeks paid holiday), so comes in at around £8,000 actual gross pay. This is current pay scales with outer London fringe allowance, as I employed a number of them last year as their line manager. And in secondary schools, the learning assistants are often in difficult classrooms as that's where the students who need help are - or with children with behaviour difficulties, either as their major difficulty or as a result of their learning difficulties. Current experience suggests that there is more money in the system for behaviour students that those with learning difficulties. Being deaf to a lot of swearing unless directly addressed at someone is a useful skill in secondary schools.

I've just come out of a school job (at the beginning of the month) and am job hunting. I didn't enjoy the job of SENCo, being purely admin, 97% meetings and paperwork, when I enjoy being hands on. And working 60-70 hours doing something I didn't enjoy was making me ill, as was never having any time for things I did enjoy.

I have a job interview for something completely different on Monday, which would be brilliant except for location - it will mean travelling time of, I guess, 2 or 3 hours a day - which could be where I catch up with reading and knitting, but could be impossibly busy. And I ought to be preparing the 5 minute presentation I have to give!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Teaching assistants are paid appallingly badly, certainly in this area. The current pay scale is roughly £12,000 pa, but pro rata for working 25 hours per week and only 44 weeks (including 4 weeks paid holiday), so comes in at around £8,000 actual gross pay.

That's actually rather more money than:

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

I didn't chase after it, since the pay was only something like $50 to $75 daily, depending upon the situation.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Though don't forget Ken that the parts of Lousiana I know tend to have a lower cost of living than many parts of England. It may be more comparable than it looks.) Or not of course.

[ 16. November 2007, 14:54: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The other little wrinkle with that LSA pay is that it's a 12 month contract so the £8,000 is spread out over 12 months and there are hassles if you want to earn in the holidays (but it's very convenient for parents wanting to work around children) so the pay is £750 per month, minus national insurance and pension, so around £27 a day, currently approximately $55 dollars, so at the low end of Janine's pay scale.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Here, the laws all butt heads and balance against each other I guess.

Of course only a teacher with all appropriate degrees and certifications should stand before those kids --

But when there's a shortage, a lot of illness, perhaps not enough teachers simply because the pay is abysmal -- or God forbid, a strike, as has happened a couple times in my lifetime here -- There is a need for just about any articulate adult who can pass the background check and make some kind of attempt to teach.

Laws at the local, state, and federal level would have something to say about the degree/certifications; other laws that kick in when students are in danger of not being taught -- especially any kid that falls into special guidelines that the Feds keep an eye on -- those other laws kick in and make sure all possible attempts to teach are made.

Thus, I can walk into a classroom at the invitation of a school principal and teach any class any subject I'm asked to teach. No degree -- Art & Design background, from 25 years ago.

In fact I was once asked to step in as a sort of permanent substitute for one high school choir, because the teacher shortage had left them without an instructor for two or three months, and the choral competitions were coming up. They needed someone willing to teach for $75 a day, to hustle the kids through their performance pieces and organize their trips to the competitions.

Hey, better me than a couple dozen talented kids getting no vocal music education at all for most of a school year.

They found a "real" teacher to come back out of retirement at the last moment -- lucky kids!

There might have been a few quirks and irregularities about their performance style by the time I finished with them. (Have you seen the Bill Murray movie Stripes?)

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*sigh*

I am both fuming [Mad] and confused [Confused] [Paranoid] at the same time.

Back in the beginning of October, I put my CV into an agency (let's not name names, but suffice to say they are a UK-widely known company with a name that sounds like an artistic movement of the 1920's often seen in episodes of "Poirot")
It was a position I thought I could fill well,for an ideal salary, and I was glad to go in and see the agency for a talk about the postion. The "interview" went very well, and I was told:
- I was an ideal candidate
- They had only sent off my CV and that of 1 other person
- the company had asked for a quick turn-around, so the Agency guy (let's call him, er, Dave) said he expected news of interviews soon.

A week passed with no response. what I chased Dave about this, he said that he and hte company person had failed to get together (voicemail tennis etc) so far, but we was awaiting a call very soon.

Second week, after chasing, I got an email saying contact had finally been made, and a decision on interviews would be geven by lunchtime the next day (Thurs).

Lunchtime came and went with no news, so I chased by email. no answer.Then I called on the Friday to be told "Dave" was off sick. SO I followed up with another email on the next Tuesday, and another call the next Wednesday. "Dave" always managed to be busy whenI called, and I never got any calls or emails back.

Not sure if there genuinely was no news from the company (unlikely) or they didn't like me and "Dave" just didn't want to pass on the bad news, or "Dave" messed up my application somehow and didn't want to admit it.

So, (rather than going into their offices for a confrontation) I just wrote it off and chalked it up to experience. Why should I go chasing after hima nd looking desperate ?

the thing that's got me all [Eek!] [Mad] [Confused] now is that the agency have posted an IDENTICAL job opportunity on the same jobs website where I saw the original vacancy nearly a month ago. And I know they're the same becuase I took copies of them each time.

I'm sure it's for the same job. Does this mean that they definitely didn't want me and I should stay away, or should I try again and see what "Dave" has to say about it ?

[ 21. November 2007, 16:06: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It depends on how much you want the job. Do you know who the company is? Because having been mucked about by the agency, you might have no conscience about going direct. Or you could go and see "Dave" and find out what happened, but know that you may well blow your chance of using the agency (or at least that branch) in the future.

I went for an interview on Monday for what is my ideal job in the wrong place: it would mean a lot of commuting for a job that needs a lot of travelling around as part of the job. I got offered the job, but was also told they were trying to set up a similar operation in my area, maybe in April 2008. If I took the job I got they were looking for consistancy - sensibly, it's all to do with building something up and making the contacts - so a number of years commitment, which would be extremely frustrating if the local operation gets up and running. I've made the decision to gamble on the operation happening in this area and now have to find some short term contracts or temporary work for the next 4 - 6 months! With no guarantee of a job at the end of it.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I stayed calm, and just called them this morning.

Apparently, there was a "situation" at the company, freezing the process for the new position, and combined with an office move/reorg at the agency, "Dave" never got round to telling me.

So the postion has been re-opened, - "Dave" was
quote:
just about to re-contact the people who had previously applied
and the agency have said they'll put me forward for it again. He says he'll call me with progess by tomorrow afternoon - what's the bets I'll end up chasing him on Monday morning? [Biased]

--------------------

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got an interview the other day for a job I applied for which would be rather fun and a little random. Unfortunately it's not til mid-December, but if I haven't got soemething by then it'll be a good one to go for. And the section in the job description on who you have to build working relationships with is frigging awesome [Big Grin] [Smile]

I may be limiting myself cos I've also applied for professional training for next year, so not sure how "yes I'd like this job but I'm gonna leave in 10 months time" will go down. Ah well.

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

does the professional traing need you to stop your job ? Do you think they'd allow you a "career break" to go do it, and then come back ?

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also if you have only applied and have been successful you can defer for a year dependent on the type of training. I wouldn't say anything to your employer as a lot can happen in 10 months, and you say you have only applied for it.

Good luck with the new job.

Wet Kipper, I know the situation is mostly passed now, but remember that agencies don't get commission if they don't fill the role. They should want to keep you on side, and should be able to tell you whether someone considered your CV unsuitable for the role. The 'Dave' character seems to have forgotten that "Wet Kipper in a job"="commission"="happy Dave's boss". This wouldn't be surprising in many respects as I've often found most employees of agencies to forget this simple fact. Anyway, good luck with it.

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wet Kipper: my experience - past is that if you don't hear from an agency, it is because you haven't got the job. Whether that is because the situation has changed or you simply didn't cut the mustard, I really don't know. But, I have found them notoriously bad at passing on the negative.

Until: I turned this on the head and explained to them that they were investing their time on me and I would interview better with feedback and then they would get their commission. OK. I didn't put it quite like that. But it has helped - and there is a better communication.

And, now I have two second interviews from last week. I had already told the agency that I didn't want one of the jobs at stake and so I won't be going to the second -- but how happy am I that I was selected. The other is a very interesting option with a crap journey so I am not sure about how I really do feel about it, so I will just have to see how it goes.

I know that I am in such a fortunate position by being able to take my time.

Manda: hold out for the good job, mid-December isn't that far away. At the same time, don't stop looking as there may be something else more immediate, else could you temp to bring home the bacon?

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I've been working at a well-known electronics retailer, a few hours at peak sales times on these holiday weekends, as an employee of a marketing firm which has hired me out as a temp to a big communications company which has stationed me at said retailer to schmooze the public ambassadorially about the communication company's service/products as sold in the retailer's stores.

(Hah! Read that fast!)

Just a temp job, will end early Janurary, but it pays well for the little work it takes.

This morning I'm off to become a full time appointment scheduler/office drone person for some doctors. Will report back on whether or not it looks like a keeper.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Things I like about the new job:

• The people seem to be pleasant or at least professional
  • The pay, while nothing to write home about, is higher than normal for the position (in order to snare me!); also, after my training period is over, I'll get a raise up to what I consider the OK first-year pay for that position. After I've settled in and become indispensable [Razz] , I'll be in a position to demand more. And hopefully, due to the FG's upcoming pay raise, in a position to up and leave if they don't treat me well.
  • Close enough to home that I can probably start riding my bike to work again. Will check mileage this morning. And they will pay for my gym membership at the YMCA if I want it.
  • Fast pace of the day and 1/2 hour for lunch means I can no longer easily do personal business during the business day. This I choose to list as a good thing because at least FG and everyone else in the free world cannot now presume to dump a lot of tasks on me. Heh.

Will see how it continues, over the next couple weeks -- how they honor (or don't) the arrangements and provisos I wanted when I accepted the job.

As for helping to answer the phones -- it's only about a 6-line system, piece of cake -- And as for helping to schedule patients' appointments -- And as for using a Web page to confirm insurance coverage --

No problems! Would be slow, being new, but could do it all by myself in an emergency after only one day's training. The part that will take a little time is learning the ethos of the group, the factors to emphasize and downplay, the unwritten and only rarely spoken things about the various physicians that will allow me to schedule things most efficiently for them. Shouldn't be too hard.

[ 27. November 2007, 12:38: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hopefully this will help someone - by the time I realised that it had happened, it was pretty much immaterial.

If you have your CV lodged with an agency, and you decide to revise it make sure that the agency are using the revised version! I discovered that one I was using were still two versions of my CV behind (one a minor alteration to update a course I'd finished, one a major rewrite with skills from outside work put in, and interests taken out).

A) They may not have the best information on you in use

B) They may not even have, as in this case, your current address!

Both of these had been emailed, with a note pointing out that I had changed address. The moral must be that you need to chase every email with a phone call to make sure that it has arrived, and is on file and being used!

Good luck!

Adrian

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Oh, yes indeed. My experience, too. You can go ahead and assume they are not handing out your most up-to-date resume, unless you personally appear face-to-face with the biggest bigshot that has anything to do with "shopping you around" and place the updated one in his/her hands yourself.

And you're not even positive then.

Just do the best you can.

I've been wondering -- When we've found a job, and want to discuss happenings or field advice from others about how it's going, should we have a different thread? This one focused on The Hunting and that one focused on The Keeping?

What do you think, frequenters of the thread, and what would AS Hosts prefer?

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmmm, I'm weighing up how long I can go with a big gap (when I'm not working) on my CV. I was an SEN TA in the UK, qualified as a TA and a nursery nurse, with a whole heap of experience. Also because I had a degree (in a totally unrelated topic, but a degree nonetheless) I walked getting jobs. (Not boasting, just I was over-qualified for the jobs I wanted)

But here in Canada. Zilch. There's not a single job I've seen advertised that I meet all the requirements for. No one will touch me because I have UK qualifications, and not all the relevant Canadian stuff (eg Canadian 1st aid, Canadian nonviolent intervention etc). I can't go about getting those little bits of training because my work visa says I can't get any education.

I'm considering cutting my losses and going back to the UK, and am weighing up how long I leave it. For every week that I don't get even near to getting a job, it's a gap in my CV, which if I end up back in the UK is an unexplained gap.

I know I need to give it more time, which I will, but I also need to know when the gap will become a problem from UK.

ij x

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would think that at least some of this time will be understood in the UK as an attempted move. If you explain you couldn't get a job because of UK certificates etc. vs. Canadian, I doubt a UK employer could blame you for it, so I ignorantly think you have some safe time.

(Good luck!)

ETA if you get a red cross first aid degree or whatever how serious will they be about finding out and smiting you? Some of those things are pretty easy and quick to get.

[ 06. December 2007, 02:34: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Also, if you just test for a certificate that's not education right? Are there any qualifications you can test for without having to take a big class in?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Jen, a lot of people with your background have big gaps in employment history around bringing up families - having interviewed rather a lot of people for these jobs in UK secondary schools.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Getting Canadian first aid training is a weekend thing for most people - advanced first aid is offered free of charge or minimal cost by the St John Ambulance people. Non-violent intervention is offered on weekends too, I'm sure. It is not necessary to sign up to a long term community college or university level course. Have you considered asking a college if you can sit an equivalency examination in ECE or something similiar?

I work 2 half days a week as a volunteer Teacher's aide with no other experience than willingness, a love of reading and the joy I take in working with kids. I move from advanced readers to teaching from phonic cards with ease.

Hang in there. Something will come your way.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, my sister gave me a good talking too about not being too idealistic, and taking the least bad of all the options. I've spent the day weighing up all the pros and cons, and all the options. I do really wanna stay in Canada (and not just for the donuts Pete!). So I'm gonna keep the longer term in mind.

So in summary I am banging my head against a slightly softer wall!

ij x

--------------------

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like Janine's suggestion above about thread.

On another note, I may have a good lead or two and would appreciate your thoughts and prayers. thanks.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

The Provincial government have said I can do a 14 week top-up course, to count as qualified here. If I do that, and put myself through 1st aid, nomviolent intervention etc, then by the summer I can apply for jobs on an equal footing with Canadians. So have accepted a job I don't want, but to do this process.

So that's a much better situation. It means I get to stay here in Canada, as I can pay the bills, but also have hope that I can get a job that I want in the future.

I guess I need to learn to compromise. ij x

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Bravo! Icklejen! That's good news, indeed.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
retraining went kinda well.
need to volunteer for another six months before can chase paid posts.

office politics bananas + coinciding with me running outta patience with key people= a deep desire to jump ship.

Prayers would be appreciated for sanity.
Advice would be appreciated for handling of office politics, never been office based before...seems all very, very petty.

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meh. The latest potential-employers are doing initial sifts via online tests. I know, I know, the world, his wife, dog and goldfish use PCs but I don't. Anyway, the first two tests went through OK from my mac & firefox but then the *review application status* page indicated that the most recent (3rd) test was *in progress*, i.e. hung up in the system somehow. E-mail to their Techs yields the helpful suggestion of disabling pop-up blockers [Mad] - though they HAVE *re-set* the test page.

Gotta find someone with a pc + IE 5 pdq.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had an interview today for the rather cool job.
Not sure how it went really - seemed OK, but was rather short (or maybe it just felt like that). May have put myself at rather a disadvantage by telling them I have applied for professional training courses in September but thought I had to be honest really.

Fingers crossed

--------------------

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Am now into the beginning of the fifth week at the new permanent office job @ a pediatric practice. We get paid every two weeks. What with the usual holdback, the holidays, the head of the office team being Up North over Christmas, the agreed-upon wage has not shown up.

The first paycheck showed me at 50 cents lower per hour than I'd told him I needed to come to work. I addressed this with him at that time; he told me he was fixing it right then, as I stood there he was tapping notes into his laptop.

After lots of holiday turmoil and his trip, I got the second pay stub and it too was 50 cents short per hour.

I am in a 90-day probation period, altogether. 30 days is the mark to pass for some things, but the training stage is a full 90.

So -- when I see him, do I remind him again in passing and leave it to see if it gets fixed?

Or do I put it in writing, remind him he said it would be fixed, and ask for my missing retroactive pay?

Or do I say, "Would you rather leave me at that incorrect amount for now, but pay me $1.50 cents more an hour when I get past my probation, rather than the original $1 more?"

Advice?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I'd ask, "How would you suggest we rectify this?"

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

[Big Grin]

The I'll demand my retroactive amount and the slightly higher hourly wage!

Hah. No, seriously, the main point is not the actual $20 a week (plus overtime pay) that I'll miss if he does not fix it.

Although I want that. I can take a lonely person out to dinner with that, or buy a stranded job-seeker a can of gasoline, or my Valentine's Day-scheduled new granddaughter some newborn supplies.

Really, though, I want it because I always do my best to live up to what I've arranged to do for an employer, and I expect them to do the same for me.

--------------------

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

Well I had a slightly unexpected phone call the other day from the latest job interview, who seem to have a different meaning of 'we want to get this sorted and we'll make a decision really quickly than I thought'.

"You didn't get the job, we gave it to an in-house candidate, but that was more of a junior administrative post and we have a more senior position coming up in the next month with more [stuff thats relevant to my longer term career plans] in it - would you like to apply for this". Well, yeah!

Obviously, would be nice to have an actual job sorted but thats much better than a straight no I reckon. Given the post I was interviewed for paid more than anything else I applied for and the one theyre talking about is more senior I'm assuming it'd be paid more, which would be nice and possible allow me to save up a little. And presumably telling them about the possible professional training didn't put them off too much and I didnt totally flunk the interview. The person who called me up was the one who seemed to be only an observer to the interview though, so I dunno whether thats based on detailed assesment of my chances for the next one I dunno, but am feeling positive at the moment.

And my temping people are making plans for me for about the next 6 months it seems, so I think I can stay there as long as I like, which helps, though have to keep making sure they know I have said I'm only there till I find something permanenet and I'm not promising a particular length of time.

Still, am looking forward to the day when I don't ave to come home from work and do blasted application forms, even if only temporarily.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

How great is that -- you don;t get the job, but it's a blessing in disguise if you get the better one...

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a chaplaincy position at the local hospital which I have applied for. I worked for them about ten years ago, and have friends still working in that department. It is by far the thing I most want to do. And it is only three blocks from where I live, walking distance!

A few prayers would be appreciated.

[ 27. December 2007, 18:14: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Oooh, Campbellite... it sounds made for you.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Well, I agreed to come to work as a particular rate of pay -- and now, after a verbal mention of the slightly lower pay rate on my first paycheck stub, and after I put a query about it in writing after it wasn't corrected on the next paycheck, I just got paid again and it still wasn't corrected.

So what now? Another written request to rectify the problem, complete with a tally of all the back pay they owe me, sent to the first guy (the business manager) and his boss?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prepare the tally, present it in person to the business manager, explain to him why it is a problem, and then ask him, "How do you suggest we rectify this?"

In other words, make it seem that the decision to fix the problem is his, rather than yours. That way, he is less likely not to live up to his own decision. (One hopes.)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

I have an interview on Friday

It's not the company I spoke about before (the situation with Dave - they ended up not wanting me) but it's my first since leaving my previous job.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016