homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck with the job interview, Wet Kipper

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wasn't sure whether to laugh incredulously or get steamed or what...

Today the office manager called me off to the conference room to deliver his collected thoughts about all the many ways I need to shape up my performance. Apparently I actually speak conversational words and complete sentences to the people calling in to the pediatric office where I work. This is a no-no.

The perfect examples of how it ought to be done are the "other girls"... Two of whom grunt incomplete sentences and do their best to rush the caller off the line, even to the point of being abrupt and rude. The third lady has been there several years, started out in the humble little first clinic location when today's lead physician was the only one there. She can chatter and console and have an actual conversation with a caller -- that's OK. I am not to do that, apparently.

As was pointed out to me almost my first day there, most of our patients are on welfare. That makes for many young inexperienced mothers, a significant number of mothers hampered by a severe lack of education, or mental problems... You can't be abrupt with them, sorry! You need to engage them, you need to keep their attention on you while you flip from screen to screen arranging their appointments and gathering information.

The others working around me are likely to give up on a caller with a thick accent, or to hang up on an over-excited little mama who simply needs a calm voice to re-direct to the task at hand.

Re: the difference in my current pay, the guy stated that he simply recalled our telephone conversation, the day I accepted the position, differently. OK, fine, I can see that happening. I am content to stay at the current pay, then. Why he could not tell me that at the time I first brought it up, I don't know.

But he also is trying to wienie out of the pay increase I demanded at the beginning, which would take place at the point at which my training/probabtion will be over. He is trying to tie that increase to performance, separate from me being there training and working full time for 90 days.

I asked for it as part of the agreement to come to work there. He seems to be setting it up as something he can give me or not almost on a whim.

I contend that, if after the probabtionary/training period, I am good enough to keep, good enough to accept as a full-fledged trained employee, then I am good enough for the higher pay.

If he tries to keep me there, without the pay increase, I will know it's all a product of him regretting hiring me. They were desperate for more help, and thought they wanted to switch from the usual run of little office girlies who'd come in with little prior experience for not much more than minimum wage.

Such get trained and mysteriously get drawn off to other similar jobs at higher pay elsewhere (geez, wonder why). He addressed that in the first interview, how they were going a different route, looking for more experience and someone who planned to stick around. Well, buddy, ya gets what you pays for.

If he dares to say I am not worth the extra (promised!) pay when I hit the 90-day mark, but yet I am somehow worth keeping there... I will know it's all simply a function, a result, of him regretting spending the extra money.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't been dropping by this thread for some time now, though I've still been mostly unemployed.
A few weeks ago, though, I was sent on a New Deal course with A4e, an agency which is supposed to help the long term unemployed to search for jobs, and tutor them in basic literacy and numeracy as needed.
My first impression was that it was a complete waste of time, and designed to get the dole figures down - while on the course, you're not claiming Jobseeker's Allowance - you're in training .
The office is short staffed - and all the staff that are there are searching for other jobs themselves. Just before Christmas, there was a problem with the girl in the office. I'm not sure of the details, but the bosses are thinking that it may be a serious enough problem that they will have to sack her.
So, no-one can find anything in the filing system black hole that this girl has created, and there is me in the next room looking competent and twiddling my thumbs.
They got their heads together that afternoon and gave me a placement (a sort of training position) by the next morning, at that office. If the other girl is actually sacked, the job may be mine!
Strange how these things happen!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
If the other girl is actually sacked, the job may be mine!
Strange how these things happen!

Many years ago a friend of mine was signing on the dole every week. One week they told him to go to such and such an office in the building and offered him a job. The following week he was sitting on the other side of the perspex panel.

Didn't stay there long but did meet the woman who is now the mother of his child there...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got an interview on 4 February - Civil Service again, different department. They've conducted their initial sifts via online tests so this is stage 3 of their recruitment process.

[Votive] St Joseph

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I work in a clinic -- pediatric waiting room and treatment areas on my right side, mostly adults on the other (urology, allergy).

In fact a significant number of patients who check in over there are older men, needing urology-type things. Many of them elderly, in fact.

The office drone roughly analogous to me over there in Urology (all of 10 feet away), a well-spoken woman about 10 years older than I, having been there many months, takes a call last week and starts asking around, "What is a geriatric patient?" [Disappointed] Someone had called wanting to know, and she couldn't answer.

I've also had a co-worker ask what prostate cancer was, was it in your penis?

I had a worried grandmother call in and ask me if she should allow her girl to wear tampons, since she was a virgin...

Every day all day long, the patients call and the co-workers talk, and I hear the most amazing things.

One phone conversation a urology nurse's aide took involved a wife calling to ask about what, exactly, in great detail, she could do to help her husband out, when it came time to secure a semen sample after his vasectomy.

[Snigger] I may be working on the wrong side of the building.

--------------------

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Janine,
Bless you for working in a coherent fashion taking the calls at a medical office. Given my experience dealing with the usual "front line" at these places, you're clearly overqualified. You'd better be pounding the pavement, still....... [Snigger]

and my search goes on, and on and on. kind of like that dreadful celine dion song. argh!

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

It's a balancing act. Lord, help me find where I put my fulcrum...

One wants to be bringing in some money -- in my case I am blessed with a good local economy & job market, so if I had to, I could always get a job of some sort. Maybe not the start of the career of my dreams, but there is some sort of a job out there for me the minute I leave or lose the one I've got. ("May I take your order? Would you like fries with that?")

I am blessed to have a husband with as secure a shipyard job as exists in this world. So we surely would not starve to death if I lost my job today. Fewer frills and lesser plans and goals, but we'd live, you know?

So one tries to balance. You find a job you can stomach that uses at least some of your skills and pays somewhere within stabbing distance of a wage you think reasonable, and you either settle in and make it a good job, or you have that place to stand while you cultivate a better job.

No problem. Assuming the palatable job is out there... If you can't see it, then you start a lesser one or you remain unemployed and searching. It's your balance to find, isn't it!

I know, I know, the hunt makes me crazy too.

Hey! Interesting thing happened to me today.

The office mgr type with all the complaints about my performance was actually out amongst us when we were burning down the house busy this morning, asking about this and that specific point in the process --

Especially as relates to my two major tasks in the busy times, scheduling appointments and "running charts", that is, asking a computer program online if patient XYZ is active with Medicaid or pvt. insurance. He was (nicely) asking about what we could do to speed up my output.

I very politely restrained my tongue and ignored him -- he was standing right over me -- as I went on accepting about half a dozen calls right under his nose, rapidly flipping around from screen to screen, setting appointments and routing telephone calls and taking messages and in between returning to the Medicaid screen to slip through another approval or two. Huff puff pant gasp pant...

While I did that, the other ladies showed him what they do around me and told him I was already moving as fast as possible given my duties. Hah. Shut him down there.

Then, in a lunchtime meeting, the lead doctor I actually work for met with my department of four and chatted with us, reminding us of things we need to strive for -- like a professional yet personal, friendly touch with the patients, and more hands-on discussion with the callers re: what they need, so as to handle more calls ourselves.

*snort*

What she wants us to focus on is exactly what I've been doing all along, and what the office manager apparently wants me to stifle and snuff out.

Hoo-hoooo.

I can see some interesting conversations ahead.

<<eta a whopper burger and a or'nge coke, coach...>>>

[ 16. January 2008, 03:55: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...(last week):
Good luck with the job interview, Wet Kipper

sorry, I forgot to let you all know how it went.

I had the interview, and it seemed to go well. As I was discussing with the agency afterwards, they told me that another company I had applied to had asked me for interview, which I scheduled for tomorrow (18th)

thing is, since then (today) I have been offered a position with the first company. Now the pay is a fairly hefty step down from what I was on, but it seems a good place to work, with plenty of chances of progression (in fact, the feedback from the company to the agency said they could see me going far). I'll probably take it, but owe it to myself to at least attend the other interview tomorrow and check out the second place, just in case (pay is similar). I've been allowed to wait til Monday to make my decision.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
and a or'nge coke,

is that like a mixture of cola and fizzy orange ?
they don't go in for that here in the UK, but it's a big hit in Germany.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck with the interview for tomorrow and with making the right decision for you.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
and a or'nge coke,

is that like a mixture of cola and fizzy orange ?
they don't go in for that here in the UK, but it's a big hit in Germany.

We call that mixture of various sodas a "Suicide", here. [Smile] In much of the Deep South, "a Coke" might mean a Coca-Cola, or it might mean any soda pop/fizzy drink of any flavor.

"Yew wanna Coke?"
"Yeah, thanks!"
"Whut kahnd?"

As for mentioning it, I'm sorry, I was being too colloquial. I was quoting an earnest but perhaps not perfectly articulate behemoth football player, being interviewed after The Big Game. When asked about his great performance, he credits it to Coach, who promised him fast food as a reward if he did well in the game: "Coach say he gon' get me a Whoppuh burgah an' a or'nge Coke".

All that to say this: I am sticking it out, I am in for the long haul. I am in the game and will do my best until the situation at the new job rights itself or they kick me to the curb, one way or the other. And having reminded myself of that--- I got my little seemingly unimportant pay adjustment, it was on my paycheck stub today. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm about to phone two agencies which advertised jobs I'm interested in in yesterday's paper. **phone**. I've always emailed in the past. Which has always got me precisely nowhere. I strongly dislike making phone calls. I am nervous.

[Help]

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
grump.

both agencies wanted car-drivers (that was the first thing they asked on the phone). understandable that they wanted car-drivers. annoying that they didn't pay the extra 50p or so to mention that in the advert.

i don't drive.

grump.

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensnog
Shipmate
# 8017

- Posted      Profile for Evensnog   Email Evensnog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have an interview for my dream job on Monday. (I've actually been doing the job for the past several months, as an independent contractor, and my direct manager wants to hire me, but I've got to go through the whole process of walking on fire and jumping through hoops, and dealing with HR and getting the stamp of approval from corporate . . . so anything could happen).

All prayers gratefully accepted. Hell, I want this job so badly, I'd sacrifice a bucket of fried chicken to the Cat God, if I thought it would help.

Posts: 507 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck, evensnog!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] For all those looking.

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello,

this is my first post to this thread, though I've been lurking for a few weeks. I am currently applying for my first Real Job (having spent far too long in full time education).

I have applied for one (closing date this friday) and am currently filling in an application form for another. Can't help thinking that I should have done a lot more by now, but haven't seen many vacancies in my field for which I have enough experience.

Any tips?

Cheers,

Rufiki

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

do you have the luxury of volunteering or interning in your field for a while?

--------------------

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, my current department (where I've just finished my PhD) are quite happy for me to hang around, so I do have an office to go to in the meantime. This keeps me sane!

I haven't seen any internships advertised, except for the ones aimed at undergrads, but you've given me something extra to think about/look into. Thanks!

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know what your field is, but in some fields you can call people and say "So, I'd like a job, but what I really need is experience. How about you take me on at this rate for six months and we see how it goes." Well, don't say exactly that, but you get the idea. My sister just got a excellent deal doing that, so it can work.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
chasee#1
Shipmate
# 10909

- Posted      Profile for chasee#1   Author's homepage   Email chasee#1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a freshman in college, looking at a tuition of $40,000 a year. And no one will hire me [Frown] But I've been applying like crazy, and I'm praying that one of them will come through. I'm hoping for the book store job. But I have NO idea how to write a resume, and so there are limited jobs that I can apply for, and none of them are the kind of jobs I really want.
What is a resume supposed to look like? I've never even seen one before...

--------------------
"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section..."-(Chasee Disclaimer)Not Chasee's quote...

Posts: 155 | From: Riverside, RI | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chasee,

Google is your friend. (Are resumes expected for bookstore jobs now?! Things have changed since I was your age.)

Can you call up a business owner/manager you know well - especially if you know for fact that s/he is not hiring - and ask what s/he expects to see for a summer job application? Application+ cover letter, resume+ cover letter, what?

But you may wish to start with Job Hunters' Bible, a site by the same people who gave the world "What Color is your Parachute?"

I am back in the hunt again - my wonderful contract job has not gone perm because the company is slightly skint right now and it ended Friday. My resume has now gone to three pages, which used to be a big no-no, but I am applying for mid-senior level jobs and selling my experience.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chasee, I've been trained some in what people our age (you're not that much younger than I unless I'm much mistaken) can to improve their resumes. Feel free to PM and I'll take what you have and show you what I think. Then you can use or ignore my thoughts.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Chasee,

I'm a careers information officer in a university here in the UK so i think i might be able to give you a few ideas as well!

First of all, does your college have a careers service? We usually help with part time work as well as 'sort my life out' type careers. You are definately not the only person at uni who needs a part time job to survive (I had significantly less fees to pay, but was still doing two jobs most of the way through).

Secondly, Resumes. Now - as a UK person, I am not the most qualified to help you with format. We go for a 2 page CV, which involves a lot more detail than your typical 1 page US resume.

BUT

The priniciple is the same. You want this piece of paper to get you through to the next stage, the interview. At the interview stage they will get to see the 3D version of you, the real you.

So - what skills and experience do you have that will get you that job in the bookstore? have you previously worked in sales? are you enthusiastuic about books (who isn't [Big Grin] ) Do you live round the corner? Think about all these questions, and more, and think about what you would need from an employee if you were the manager. This is often very useful as it can help focus a resume.

Expect to write a different resume for each position, tailored to each job/store/sector. I understand you don't have the most room to do this on a 1 page resume, but try. Remember, one of the most important set of skills in sales are communication skills. sucinct, focused, orgainsed writing can show these skills well!

Lastly. try the psychology. don't email or post a resume, go in to the store with it. politely enquire after the duty manager (get a name), give them the resume (along with a covering letter - your real chance to explain why you are the most impressive employee, ever.) and then, saying you understand how busy they are, and thanking them for their time, go off to a different part of the store to browse for a minute or two, then leave. If you don't get a response in a week, follow it up with a phonecall to the same person you spoke to in store. just enquiring as to whether they had had time to consider your application.

I hope this is useful, and not butting it [Big Grin]

J.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

well, Friday's interview (B) went okay, and it seemed a nice enough place to work, and an okay position. But they were interviewing a few people and can't get back with an answer before the people who offered me a job(A) want to hear back.

There was nothing so majorly fantastic with (B)that would want me to postpone (A) any further, and besides, I shouldn't be so presumptious to expect that (B) will want me anyway.

So - unless a fantastic offer from (B) comes in before lunchtime (unlikely) I shall call the agency at lunchtime, accept the offer from (A), and this time next week I'll be in gainful employment.

Oh, and well done MST for calling agencies - I found that it's all too easy for them to ignore/reject your CV or application by email; calling them forces an acknowledgement (if you get through) and then you can find out if it's worth your while going further.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Yeah, and there's still something about that paper resume showing up on the right desk...

--------------------

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats! Wet Kipper!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
chasee#1
Shipmate
# 10909

- Posted      Profile for chasee#1   Author's homepage   Email chasee#1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The book store job didn't require a resume, hence the reason it was already completed and sent in.

But some of the other jobs I would like to apply for do require a resume. (a college student in desperate need of cash, i'll take what job I can get, so I've been filling out applications until my head spins)

I have never written one before, nor do I know what one looks like, or how to even begin. Would it be possible to see someone's resume so I can get an idea as where to start? Or is that getting a little to creepy and personal? Any one know where I can find a resume example online? I've googled, and maybe I'm just coming up with the loser sites, but I can't find anything that shows me what it looks like.

I appreciate the help!!!

--------------------
"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section..."-(Chasee Disclaimer)Not Chasee's quote...

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curious - I just checked out potential employer's website and find that they are advertizing the same position I've applied for (closing date 21 December 2007) but with a closing date of 25 January. Why would they readvertize before they've finished (or even started) interviewing from the first ad. (my interview date 4 Feb)? Can't work out if this is a Good or Bad indicator for my chances. [Confused]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chasee#1:
I have never written one before, nor do I know what one looks like, or how to even begin.

Here are somedetails on how to write one and some basic examples

I could send you mine but it's an academic one, so it's long and super boring! PM me if you would still like it.

You say that you are a student so this might be more appropriate pdf guide

Remember keep it as clear as possible, try and write about your strengths in concise detail, i.e. instead of saying 'team player who has initiative to work on own' say something that conveys the contribution that this team player attitude made, or give an idea of an initiative that saved money, made things more efficient or saved time.

Good luck!

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
chasee#1
Shipmate
# 10909

Thank you guys so much for the help, I think I can draft a decent resume now! I'll keep you all posted!
Thanks again!

--------------------

Evensnog
Shipmate
# 8017

- Posted      Profile for Evensnog   Email Evensnog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quick update: Interview went fairly well. I'm not the most impressive in an interview, but I feel I came across as fairly solid. Thankfully, none of the questions were of the "If you were a candy bar, what kind of candy bar would you be?" variety.

Now, I get to wait for up to 2 months, while Corporate sits on my file before making their decision. [Help]

Posts: 507 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Ugh. Long wait. You'll be NextMorningSnog by then.

Hee. Good luck, though.

One thing about resumes -- if you go to the job-hunting websites like Monster and CareerBuilder, the system there will help you set up the information you need.

--------------------

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I've committed myself to leabing my current temping job, eeek.

I have at least one offer for my professional training course so decided that when I know which city that'll be in I'll move uyp there early and try and temp there for a bit (or if I go for a part tie course find a longer term part time job).

Heres hoping I can find work and a place to live in a new city now and haven't shot myself in the foot.

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

Manda - that's exciting and well done for biting the bullet!

Wet Kipper - so are you all set to start now?

[minor rant]
I am currently filling in a job application which has the question "Please give an example of a (recent) problem that you solved and how you solved it. What decisions did you have to make?" There are about two inches of space to answer it. What kind of problem solving exploit would be complicated enough to impress an employer but simple enough to fit in this space? I think I know what I'm going to put - but I think it's going to look a bit naff.
[/minor rant]

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chasee, I'm on the other end of things. I'm filing resumes right and left to anything that remotely looks promising. Unfortunately, most seem to want someone under 50 years old.

I am this close to trying out for a greeter at W*lmart. (and I hate W*lmart.)

Another website I have been told about, and it looks pretty helpful (we'll see if it gets me a job) is www.indeed.com

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
Wet Kipper - so are you all set to start now?

pretty much - I'm due to start on Monday morning. The agency said that the firm would send me paperwork and details, but they haven't arrived yet.

I have visions of me standing at the door on Monday and no-one expecting me.

--------------------

Portsmouthian
Apprentice
# 13378

- Posted      Profile for Portsmouthian   Email Portsmouthian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello fellow job-searchers! This is tough isn't it? I rocked up back to the UK after living abroad for 3 years in September and I knew it would be hard getting a job, but not THIS hard. So far I've collected an impressive (virtual) pile of rejection e-mails, but I guess you only need one job, so I only need one of these applications to be accepted right?! Oh well enough of this procrastination, I guess I should get back on the application e-mail horse! Thanks for listening!
Posts: 1 | From: umm Portsmouth... | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
chasee#1
Shipmate
# 10909

Ok, resume written. I'm hoping it's good, but if anyone would be willing to read over it for me, and any feed back... that would be helpful!
I'm going job hunting tomorrow (third time this week) I'm just applying everywhere, and hoping one or another will come through. *crosses fingers* Wish me luck!

--------------------

Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm happy to proofread/spellcheck your effort, chasee. Send me a copy (via PM or e-mail) & I'll do the best I can to help you. I only learnt how to write a decent CV in my 20's!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
chasee#1
Shipmate
# 10909

Thank you!!! Oh, and thanks again for those of you who sent me resume samples, they really helped me when I was drafting out my own!
You guys rock!

--------------------

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh how I wish I wasn't posting to this thread anymore...

applying to anything that looks remotely viable, yep.

I even pondered one totally outside my professional area, but realised they needed someone who could operate a tractor. [Roll Eyes] oh well.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Hah, "transferable skills", ebeth, transferable skills!

--------------------

chasee#1
Shipmate
# 10909

This past week and a half, I have been filling out 5-6 job applications a day, and sending them in. I've walked around handing out my resume to place I see that are hiring, and i've sent my resume out to a million (slight exaggeration) different places.
Not a single phone call back.
This royally sucks eggs.
Why am I so scary no one wants me to work for them? Compared to some Alaskan girls, I'm pretty tame! I don't bite (hard) I swear!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I don't bite hard! I swear!
(slightly edited. Sorry, couldn't resist! [Hot and Hormonal] )

[ 28. January 2008, 13:44: Message edited by: PeteCanada ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonm
Shipmate
# 1246

- Posted      Profile for Jonm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've finnally decided that the job I am doing now (basic statistics) is driving me to despair and I have to do something about it. I got an MSc (with good marks) in the subject I'd really like to work in (bioinformatics) last year but have concluded that the chance of getting any work in that field where I live is precisely ziltch. I'm going to admit to myself something that I've been curiously afraid to own up to, that what I really love doing (apart from bioinformatics) is programming. So I'm going to start gathering information about how someone with rather random bits of programming knowledge can get into computing , and what knowledge/skilss/further qualifications I need to aquire.

--------------------
"My God, My God, why hast thou accepted me?"---Caedmon's Call

Posts: 264 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chasee, you could try calling them/going in to ask. They may have just set it to the side, or whatever. Be prepared to sell yourself, perhaps they just saw the stack of CV's and wonder how they are going to choose. By making the contact yourself, you will set yourself apart by demonstrating initiative.
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

I think that Catrine's advice about "demonstrating initiative" is a good one.

I'm probably overly polite waiting for the phone...........

I sent off another "good fit" today. We'll see. and yes, where did I put that phone number??

For the love of God, someone hire me and get me off this thread [Ultra confused]

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Catrine said, chasee.

A follow-up visit/call/written note lets them know that you are seriously interested. You'll want to include who you are (obviously), when you submitted the application, a short one/two sentence plug about why you really want this particular job/why you'd be so great for this particular job, and a polite request for an exact date when you can expect a response.

Job hunting is a lot of work and a pain in the ass. Best of luck.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016