homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eigon, that is wonderful!

I come in and fill out paperwork today at 1 PM! I will work one week at my new job...inside sales. If after a week it works out (which it should since I ROCK...pep talk to myself here)...I will 100% have a job! [Big Grin]

Yay!

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay Duchess! [Yipee]
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay Duchess!

I interviewed so horribly badly for that job yesterday. Please don't let me have screwed it up because it will just be [Axe murder] lovely [Axe murder] if I get it.

Like, there's a free gym!

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3509 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sweet! will pray Telepath...

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news, Duchess!

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:
Great news, Duchess!

After all the crappy stuff I went through in March which I won't list here, it looks like I finally will have a more positive month...in April. Things are finally looking up. And a positive boss who really seems to be professional yet a kind person. That is something to look forward to...to work hard and prove myself.

I was this close to cashing out my 401K...scared... [Frown]

[eta: plus I have lost weight and plan to continue...Huia nag me all you want about my walking...I will continue! [Big Grin] ]

[ 05. April 2008, 20:30: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah March was The Month From Hell, but April is going to be better for all of us [Votive]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Amen to that! [Votive]

My boss told me I need to be more patient, and I did not say much or do anything I thought that showed I was impatient. I have to be busybusybusybusybusy doing stuff or I die...and first days you are ordered to "take it all in".

My brain overloaded and but I must read things to death..

and then be like a typical sales ... go out and hunt/kill without reading the manual anymore as much as possible.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey! Remember the peeps with the weird *waiting list* for jobs?

Well, I've been at my mother's all last week - her house is a total dead zone for mobiles - Monday evening though, I wandered down to the bottom of the garden, a place where most people have fairies but where she has a teeny-weeny mobile signalette. Voice message from *Will* asking me to call back if I'm still interested in the job. I call back. It's 4.30 pm and a colleague says Will has gone home. "OK", I say, "I'll call tomorrow at 9". "Better leave it until 10" says colleague - what sort of hours do these people work, I wonder [Confused] .

Anyway, I called back this morning at 10 - Will sez "are you still interested? - we are looking to take people on now"

"Yes, I am still interested"

"OK, I'll send the documentation out, you start on 28 April (subject to refs and health check*)"

*Refs are fine - health thing I'm a little worried about +prayers+

People, I appear to have a job - at long last, somebody wants me [Yipee]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fabulous, Jah, just fabulous!!!
[Axe murder]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
congrats jah! [Yipee]

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just another back-slap for JahLove joining the love-in! [Big Grin]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you so much, everyone. I'll probably be moaning about it by the summer but for now I'm looking forward to being a working gal again. [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hum
paid employment is getting nearer
interview today is ( more than ) hopeful

holding breath now.....

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay for Jahlove! Yay! And you are right, after the euphoria dies down, you realize you have to go to work...

Until then! [Big Grin]

Anyway. Today I got my ASP book which is going to get me my next job. From doing a bit of maintenance on the website of a company I temped with, and liaising with the web development company that created the site, I have secured an interview with one of the directors of said web company.

I have nine working days between now and the interview, so it should be straightforward enough. Wish me luck, peeps!

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

Good luck, Telepath. Fingies & toesies crossed.

--------------------

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Good luck, Telepath. Fingies & toesies crossed.

Most definitely

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Fingies & toesies

[Paranoid] Fingies & toesies???

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Fingies & toesies

[Paranoid] Fingies & toesies???
You know, what you use to caress any passing dear liddle Mr Tiddlywickleickums pussycatkins. [Biased]

Contract not arrived yet - given the inertia of this organization I may have it by Advent!

--------------------

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, I put in an app for the graduate recruitment of one of the places that I already interviewed at (but didn't get the job). Had an email this morning to say that I have passed the paper sift and they will get in touch again when interviews have been arranged. This really would be the best place in the country for what I want to do, so if I don't get in this way it's time for a complete rethink.

Well done Jahlove, and good luck Telepath.

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
an aside:

I was driving around town yesterday and was behind a car with a bumper sticker that read:
Jah is my co-pilot!

So that explains Jah's recent career development [Eek!] [Cool] [Biased]

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:

quote:

Fingies & toesies

Fingies & toesies???

You know, what you use to caress any passing dear liddle Mr Tiddlywickleickums pussycatkins.

[Two face] I'm in ur allsaints fluffybunnifying ur jobseekrz [Devil]

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

I screwed up one of my calls to a customer...in front of the big boss and a coworker. Got feedback that the way I said something "made me sound weak". But I got told "Good job for the first week".

I was asked "do you want another week to make up your mind? Do you want to work here?"

I said "I think I can manage the job" and I will now get a formal offer letter.

It's the way of the world...

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow...lotsa good news on here of late.

Big steps and l'll uns.

[Votive] for those with bad news of late

Patience, peace, grace, energy, passion......may those of you job searching have these in abundance.

[Votive] for your families

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
About the waiting list thing....not sure what was up in Jah's situation, but I've seen something like this before.

Some companies with multiple pending contracts often do a heck of a lot of screening of potential employees before they get the go ahead to do any of the work.

Rather then offer when they may not have the work for the number of people they will need, they put you on a list and then call you when the work is available.

Thus, they can get the right people in when they need them, and not before, saving money, while not over committing to staff or creating a mad scramble , which often causes mistakes in hiring, by doing all this when work needs to happen.

There is a sound management idea behind it and it does not by itself indicate a bad company to work for.

Think of it as "Just in Time" Human Resources where you are the delivery truck taking the part, in this case "you", to the factory just when its needed.

A good employment worker/counsellor/mentor can suggest to people how to handle that situation, both before the hire and once the work starts; that advice is usually best when its individualised to your situation and personality. Another example where the Ship's "Do not Counsel People!" rule makes a lot of sense.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How *essential* are essential criteria on a job specification?

The one I'm looking at has rather a lot of essential criteria, which I meet 99% of rather well. I also meet nearly all the "desirable" criteria....

I'm thinking of applying anyway but I wonder whether anyone had any wisdom on this?

It looks a fab job (it may all just be hypothetical anyway as tey may reject it on health grounds. Ho hum!)

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

Go for it Emma. A friend of mine (who has worked in HR) said not to apply unless you meet 90% of essential criteria - 99% should be fine! She also reckons that 70% is fine when the criteria is not split into essential and desirable.
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Essential doesn't really mean *essential* then [Biased]

My theory was that it would depend on the batch of people applying.... If there were other very well qualified peeps who met all the criteria I might not be considered, but if I was called for interview then surely that would mean on principle I'd met enough.

I'm wondering about a move into corporate education from teaching, and currently trying to tweak my cv to try and make it fit!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

I think "essential" means "this is what we really really want the newbie to have". But then they find that candidates are real people, and cannot be designed to order. So they take the closest they can find.
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Go for it Emma, they can only say no.

And if they say anything else besides "no", that may be useful feedback as to what you need to do next.

Or not - quite often they tell you stuff that they say just to say something, or is only an expression of their prejudices. So remember to take it all with a pinch of salt.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi All,

I have now joined the ranks of job seekers, having sent off applications to two jobs last week. I've decided I'm sick of being overworked and taken for granted at my current job and want to move on... (of course, the perfect job doesn't exist, but the new one will be annoying in a different way, and will hopefully be okay for another 2-3 years).

Anyway, does anyone know about how a good recruitment agency works- do you get to meet them/ talk on the phone, can you change your CV to suit different jobs or do you just have the one? Can they advise on what sort of jobs you're qualified for?

Ta
EJ

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

Essential means different things to different managers. To some, its a screening tool to weed out timid people. To others, it means have most of this list or you will not get an interview. In other situations, its a wish list to be checked off.

[ 16. April 2008, 04:15: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

I've always taken "essential" to mean, ideal. Sometimes ideal is rather negotiable.

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Thanks everyone [Smile] I've decided not to apply for the job in the end, as I think I should be looking for something with rather less , having not worked for a while - but knowing that about the person spec is really helpful when looking!!

emma x

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

I have been offered an amazing position - YAY! - in my dream field. It requires moving yet again and saying good bye to co-workers I really like, but it's such a step forward for me <bounce, bounce, bounce!>

If you have any spare, a prayer or two that the HR process, visa etc runs smoothly would be appreciated.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
Hi All,

I have now joined the ranks of job seekers, having sent off applications to two jobs last week. I've decided I'm sick of being overworked and taken for granted at my current job and want to move on... (of course, the perfect job doesn't exist, but the new one will be annoying in a different way, and will hopefully be okay for another 2-3 years).

Anyway, does anyone know about how a good recruitment agency works- do you get to meet them/ talk on the phone, can you change your CV to suit different jobs or do you just have the one? Can they advise on what sort of jobs you're qualified for?

Ta
EJ

What I did in a nutshell...when I did my CV after 9 years...

got on Monster and used their template to fill out everything

when done, threw it in on Word

had some friends send me their CVs as examples

looked up my job (inside sales) on monster.com, careerbuilder.com, linkedin.com, hotjobs.com, etc...and I copied and pasted key words. Why? Because a lot of HR places use scanners for certain "key words"

had some friends look it over

had a friend who is a recruiter look it over, made changes

I have no degree outside high school but I got lots of interviews after this.

And I now have a job. It took one month of actively job searching. I found my job off of Craig's List, something I never expected. [Smile]

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Duchess (Your Grace?). I'll have a look at some of those websites.

I had an interview for a job this morning. Seemed to go pretty well but they said they had lots of good candidates (including myself)so we'll see. They should get back to me in the next week. I'd love some more money, to be perfectly honest!

EJ

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

Good news neandergirl, well done.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Thanks Duchess (Your Grace?). I'll have a look at some of those websites.

I had an interview for a job this morning. Seemed to go pretty well but they said they had lots of good candidates (including myself)so we'll see. They should get back to me in the next week. I'd love some more money, to be perfectly honest!

EJ

Good luck on your interview! I hate it when they have 30 candidates...ugh...for one job or more.

Try Craig's List for looking for a job took!

--------------------

Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Hi All,

Ta
EJ

I only have experience of recruitment agencies when looking for temporary work, but the process went something like:

(1) Go into/call agency saying I am looking for work
(2) Provide CV and references
(3) Have an interview with an advisor about what type of work I was seeking, and what they might be able to offer. Advisor also clarified parts of my CV and gave advice as to how to tailor it to specific employers
(4) Wait for agency to call with possible jobs.

The best agency by a long way was 'Hayes' (found me a very good temp job within days) and the worst 'Reed'.

Good luck.

BL

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

Hey peeps.

Interview today. I was fixated on closing the deal right away, but he's going to think about it until Friday, see if he has enough work to keep me occupied and at which I can be productive. This seems likely, as much of my previous experience maps to the technology they use, and I have lots of ability in testing, relating to users, documentation, and even proofreading and content production. And there are no other candidates competing with me.

Meanwhile, I'm to get to grips with another technology, but though not to spend so much time on it that I have to turn down other work, and I'm not to incur any expense that I wouldn't otherwise have incurred.

Perhaps he's setting me up for a "no", but then again, perhaps unlike some people, he actually is considerate enough not to overpromise.

Hmmmm. Well, I've been this optimistic before. And we all know how that turned out - over and over again. [Paranoid]

Anyway, I pray daily for all of you.

--------------------

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Best of luck, Telepath

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

[Votive]

--------------------

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

Fingers crossed Telepath! The job I've just been offered (and accepted - so YAY!) is the exact same job I came second for last year. Apparently the winner has decided that she'd rather work in another research area so they contacted me to see if I was still interested. Anyway the point of that longwinded ramble was to say you just never know what's around the corner for you.

Chins up, seekers, chins up.

--------------------

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

So, yeah, I have been offered another interview for something sometime in May.

I can't wait until freakin' May. Please pray that I have a suitable job by the end of this week. kthxbai

[brick wall]

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I received another rejection letter from the Public Service.

I'm wondering if people are right when they say that a political science degree is worthless.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Hey All,

thanks for the advice and any prayers that might be floating around.

I had a meeting on Monday (at my current job) that felt like the business equivalent of gang rape. I *have* to get out of here ASAP. I need a job offer within the next two weeks so I can give four weeks notice and avoid going to the national conference. (please God!!)

The job I interviewed for last week said they'd get back to me by the end of this week. It's a public holiday tomorrow (Anzac day) and they haven't gotten back to me yet...

I found another good job and submitted my CV and talked to the recruitment consultant on Tuesday. She seemed to think I was a good fit, but I haven't heard from them yet, either. I'll have another look and apply for anything else suitable this weekend.

[Votive] for all as we search...

EJ

Caty S.

I read, therefore I am.
# 11996

- Posted      Profile for Caty S.   Email Caty S.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm finally getting around to serious job-hunting; I'm leaving my current job at the end of May.

After spending the morning going through job listings online, I'm feeling somewhat discouraged. I found a few that I could apply for, but the only ones I actually really liked were at the wrong end of the country. I'd forgotten how depressing this process can be.

[ 25. April 2008, 12:45: Message edited by: Caty. ]

Posts: 2119 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
Originally posted by Caty.:
I'm finally getting around to serious job-hunting; I'm leaving my current job at the end of May.

I'd forgotten how depressing this process can be.

Poor Caty, but think how much more depressing it would be to stay in your current job!

Chin up and good luck in your searching!
[Smile]

EJ

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016