homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TrudyTrudy (I say unto you):
Pray for me guys -- this weekend THE job, the one that would be perfect for me, was advertised in the paper. It's the perfect combination of working my field of interest, working the schedule I want to work (school hours) and excellent pay.

Here's praying for you, kiddo!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all those hunting, and particularly for Trudy this week. May God grant you the wisdom to know who's ass to kiss and when. [Biased]
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mad Hatter
Shipmate
# 5879

- Posted      Profile for Mad Hatter   Email Mad Hatter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At last I have a job - only temporary for 5 or 6 months and it doesn't start until September but paid employment!

It's taken 18 months, 200 or so applications and nearly fifteen interviews!

[Votive] to everyone out there still searching -

--------------------
www.fsscconference.org.uk - a conference for people whose faith informs their action for social change

Posts: 267 | From: Winchester | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats, Mad Hatter!

I have two interviews coming up on Tuesday. Neither one of them is for Dream Job (the application for that goes in today). One is a short-term job that would not interfere with Dream Job should I get it; the other is a longer-term job that would eliminate the possibility of accepting Dream Job. I am wearing myself out analyzing which one I should take, if I were offered both -- and have to keep reminding myself that the cart is WAY before the horse; I should focus on doing well in the interviews, not about the hypothetical scenario of being offered both jobs!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mad Hatter
Shipmate
# 5879

- Posted      Profile for Mad Hatter   Email Mad Hatter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks and all the best TrudyTrudy.

I have to say that although my job isn't permenant it is my dream job which means I've been extra lucky [Axe murder]

--------------------
www.fsscconference.org.uk - a conference for people whose faith informs their action for social change

Posts: 267 | From: Winchester | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm graduating soon and have been applying for jobs for a while and signing up to different networks and graduate services, but it feels like an uphill struggle at the moment, so I may have to work unpaid for political organisations in order to get some more experience (I'm graduating in Politics with European Studies).

Ideally my plans is to work for a year and then to take my masters degree hopefully in International Studies, so we'll see what happens, but I would appreciate prayers for guidance, for work and direction at the moment.

Thanks a lot,
Off Centre View

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reluctantly starting to job hunt - I'm in my Dream Job at the moment, but sadly my boss can't keep me on beyond the end of the month.

So far, the fudge shop looks interesting; an old friend who runs an archaeology company is looking for volunteers for a project - pay is probably optional, but it sounds like fun; and the local surgery wants part time admin.

Or, of course, someone will recognise my immense talent and I'll become a best-selling novelist!
Somehow I think the fudge shop sounds more likely....

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, Interview 1 of 2 is over for today, and while the interview went well, I won't be taking the job even if they offer it. The hours are exactly wrong for me and I couldn't afford to work for what they're able to pay (it would barely cover my childcare).

On to Interview #2 !!

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interview on Thursday with the Fellowship of Reconciliation an interesting job in a field where Ive a lot of experience. I think I have a good chance but I've thought that before and been unsuccesful. I've been unemployed for a few months now and if I dont get a job soon my brain will rot.
Posts: 266 | From: birmingham | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Hatter:
At last I have a job - only temporary for 5 or 6 months and it doesn't start until September but paid employment!

It's taken 18 months, 200 or so applications and nearly fifteen interviews!

[Votive] to everyone out there still searching -

Well, I heard today that my references and CRB check are fine. So, I have almost certainly got the job I mentioned on another thread (Support Assistant for a well-known health charity). It is VERY unlikely that I will be turned down at this stage, although it is just possible still...

Still not been offered the job in writing...

It has taken one heck of a lot of applications and about twenty interviews, but it looks likely that I shall have paid, permanent employment before much longer.

I graduated in 2004, and have had spells of temporary work for job agencies mixed with spells of unemployment, so this is very good news indeed.

[Votive] for everyone else.

[ 12. July 2005, 15:41: Message edited by: Papio. ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
It is VERY unlikely that I will be turned down at this stage, although it is just possible still...

Hope it goes well for you papio. My last job took ages to confirm in writing and I remember the "yea! but actually.. dont get too excited" limbo feeling.
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Continuing to pray for those searching. [Votive]

My temp job is rolling along quite nicely (well, except for the crap pay and crap holiday accumulation), and I've decided that even if it doesn't go beyond 10 months, the experience I've gained will be of great benefit in finding something more permanent locally.

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for everybody posting, and lurking, on this thread.

Just did one of our job searching workshops in a 2nd floor school with no AC - 35 degrees outside and not much less inside. Sapped me so I know this heat must be taking away the energy of the unemployed.

[Votive] for all those looking for work during bad weather. It doesn't help.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms Lilith:
quote:
It is VERY unlikely that I will be turned down at this stage, although it is just possible still...

Hope it goes well for you papio. My last job took ages to confirm in writing and I remember the "yea! but actually.. dont get too excited" limbo feeling.
Thanks. [Smile]

Yes, it's exactly that "probably...but only probably" limbo feeling.

It could be a LOT worse, but it could also be better.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Supervisor from Interview #1 left a message on my machine this afternoon to call her back. Perhaps she's going to offer me The Job I Don't Want. Hope I have as much luck with the jobs I DO want.

All best wishes to the other job-hunters.

--------------------
Books and things.

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

I didn't get the job.

Don't what more I can do. I go to interviews. I know my field well. I give good answers. They smile they nod and then they say "unfortunately you were not successful on this occasion."

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having been looking for a while, thinking that my employer was underpaying me, I have gradually been ramping up the salary I've been asking for. I started asking 15K more, and I've suddenly got seven interviews in the next couple of weeks. I think I may just give my notice in on Friday, seven being a good number, and it would mean I can take a couple of weeks off at the end of August.

TME

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm looking for a job after spending 13 years at home with the kids.

Can anyone tell me what the interviewers want to hear when they say 'why do you want this job?' I can blag my way through most things as I'm an ex sales person and I have a degree in advanced blagging (PPE from a minor Oxford College) but this one stumps me every time.

The honest answer is that Mr P's company is going through a cash flow crisis and we need the cash and voluntary work is interesting but pays nowt.

I'm looking at support/research officer roles or coordinator jobs in education or charity work.

I've got myself an interview with an advocacy service at the end of the month because I applied by letter and I avoided the question of why I wanted the job. I just sold the fact that I could do it. Now I'm faced with an automated application form for a job in the local council that asks the quesiton 'why do I want the job?' and I would appreciate any help in understanding what they want to hear.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Poppy:
*snip*
The honest answer is that Mr P's company is going through a cash flow crisis and we need the cash and voluntary work is interesting but pays nowt.
*snip*

Why not just tell 'em that? I don't mean it as flippantly as it reads, I think needing money is a good and honourable reason for anyone to look for work. Good success [Votive]
(and for Mr P [Votive] )

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I didn't get the job.

Don't what more I can do. I go to interviews. I know my field well. I give good answers. They smile they nod and then they say "unfortunately you were not successful on this occasion."

[Frown] (((Ms. Lilith))) That must be horribly dissapointing.

Hang in there.
[Votive]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Foaming Draught. I've worked the need for cash into statment about using my skills in a move from voluntary to paid employment. I'm pretty worried about money situation and I don't want it to leak into the application form.

Ms Lilith [Votive]

Been there, done that. I hate the moment in the interview when you've answered all their questions, asked relevant and inciteful questions, demonstrated all the skills that they are looking for and then the penny drops. They have already lined someone up for the job and they are interviewing because they have to. Either that or your face just doesn't fit. I've interviewed people who would have been very good at the job but wouldn't have fitted in with the team we already had. I have been tempted to sack the team we have and take on the new people but you can't do that.

Horrible, horrible, horrible. [Votive]

[ 10. August 2005, 08:05: Message edited by: Poppy ]

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Poppy:

Hidden in that question, is a second subtler question which you might like to consider:

"Why have you applied for this job rather than another e.g. one as a sales executive?"

I can think of plenty of reasons:
  • work hours (although this may not impress, as some RA work extremely long hours)
  • curiousity, want to be learning new things (make it clear this is what they are investigating, not learning research skills)
  • Wanting to be in an academic enviroment
  • Want to put things back into society, but need income due to Mr Ps job
  • a friend has worked there in the past an recommended it as a good place to work

Jengie

[ 10. August 2005, 09:48: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I am currently at the near-suicidal-despair phase of the job hunt (swinging wildly between that and bizarre overconfidence everytime I apply for a job and start actually believing the self-hype in my cover letter). I was offered one job, which I literally could not afford to take because they were paying so little. For another I had an interview but someone else got the job. My other applications have so far produced no interviews, no response at all, including one for which I thought I had an extremely good chance. I know I'm a good candidate, I'm applying for a very few jobs available in a field crowded with good candidates, and that God is in control and ultimately wonderful things will happen in my life ... I just have moments when that perspective is a little hard to maintain.

--------------------
Books and things.

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Ms Lilith - I had a something like that (sort of) shortly after I graduated. A job that would have used my brain, benefitted others, paid a graduate salary, and given me excellent experience and training/professional qualifications. They told me I interviewed well and they liked me etc etc.

I didn't get it, though. Sometimes, I think they already have someone in mind for these things.

TrudyTrudy [Frown]

and [Votive] for everyone.

It turns out that the police had a query about my CRB check, which has hopefully now been rectified. The job is still there for me, and they have no intention of giving it to someone else. They are apparently as frustrated as I am by the delay, although they don't have to live off £50 a week in the meantime.

[ 10. August 2005, 12:30: Message edited by: Papio. ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Thanks for the good thoughts...they must've worked. I have an interview Monday, not for Dream Job, but for Possibly Quite Good Job (distinguished from Dream Job only by the fact that it pays less)...so continued thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

[Votive] for all those still job-hunting.

--------------------
Books and things.

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quick question: if one was looking for a job in the Birmingham, Leamington or South Warwickshire area, what would be good local papers to get?
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Time to familiarize myself with what's been going on with this thread. I heard today that I've been successful in my application for a voluntary redundancy package - my employer is willing to pay me nearly 2 years salary to leave the company, so I'm pretty happy to leave. But I have to leave on 31st Aug (less than two weeks away!) having been working there since 1984 - its a bit of a scary prospect stepping into the unknown.

I'd been pretty unhappy at work for a good while, and didn't like the way things were going with IT (my work area) so it seemed a good opportunity to leave with some money in my pocket. But although we have paid the mortgage off, and my husband has a reasonably well paid job now (senior lecturer) at 45 I will still need to find some sort of employment. And I've not had to apply for a job at a new place since my early 20's.... see what I mean about a scary prospect!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

I havent looked at this for a while and have just seen all the nice replies. Thanks people.

Interview tomorrow. It a temporary job but would be interesting and stop me going wild with boredom and increasing lack of self confidence. It's not the thing Im most skilled at but they liked my application enough to interview me. Im going in thinking "nothing to lose" rather than "i really really want this"

There is a job coming up with the charity I worked for last which ended really badly. It's exactly the kind of work I want to do but Im not sure I want to do it with them. Any thoughts?

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Best wishes Gracious Rebel, Ms. Lilith, and everyone else who's still hunting.

I got a job!!!!! And it's one I'm very happy about. It's a teaching position at the same alternative school where I did my counselling internship last year, a place I really love working. Although it's an instructional not a counselling position, I'll be working with at-risk youth and still have the opportunity to use a lot of the skills learned in my counselling program, and even continue my research into therapeutic uses of journalling and creative writing, since I will be teaching two writing courses. The job I originally interviewed for was a full-time position teaching English and Science -- the science would have been a bit of a stretch for me, and I didn't think I had much of a chance -- but they re-evaluated things a little after my interview, asked would I mind part-time instead of full-time (not at all!), and finally offered me a 3/4 time position teaching all English/writing courses. Ideal for me! The pay, while not as good as in the public school system, is more than adequate to improve our family finances.

The only hair-raising thing is that they told me I had the job yesterday at 4 p.m., and it starts on Tuesday, the same day my kids start school -- so with Monday being a holiday, I have only today to confirm arrangements for after-school childcare, etc (which I had applied for, but sort of left up in the air since I didn't know whether I'd be working or not).

Praise the Lord, I'm very glad to have this job and hope for such happy outcomes for all the other job-searchers.

--------------------
Books and things.

Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

<does a little happy dance for Trudy> Many congratulations! May you find your new job richly rewarding. [Yipee]
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news Trudy!
[Yipee]

Me, I'm applying for a few posts that interest me (I quite fancy working in libraries for some reason) and haven't got any further than that yet. But my previous job didn't finish until 2 days ago, so its early days yet.

Feels so weird to be 'unemployed' when I was in that last job since before I had kids (now teenagers) and before I was married even.... strange.

Just filled in a form to volunteer at Oxfam one day a week in the meantime - to support a favourite charity, give me something to do, and provide some 'customer service experience' for my job applications.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Following an interview on Tuesday, I got an offer today doing AI research at 30% above my current salary, and told my boss I'd be leaving for south Wales shortly. Have another interview Monday (chaos theory based modelling for traffic planning), but I think the AI one's the one.

No more Fortran 70 maintenance!!! [Yipee]

TME

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Yay for Trudy. [Overused]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

well done trudy

I didn't get the temporary job I was going for.

I didn't really expect to. I rang for feedback and the woman was really nice. She said that out of the six she had interviewed there were three who were definitely appointable including myself. That I was clearly very strong on public speaking, that I used humour well and gave very thoughtful and thorough answers. Also, that being late had no bearing and she thought it was a real credit to me that I gave such a good interview when I must have been feeling terrible. (got very lost, ran around a church near there 3 times before finding the place, arrived ten mins late red faced and breathless) But that I wasn't really a fundraiser, was I? and I didnt have as much experience in that area than the person they appointed. I thought that was fair enough.

I said to her that I wished she could tell me something that I could fix, like "just paint your toenails a different colour and you'll be Ok" but she said yes that must be frustrating but really she wouldn't be afraid to tell me if there was something but she thought I was great.

While it's great being great I just wish there was something else I could do.

I applied for the job at the Charity I Cant Decide If I Want To Go Back To but still not sure if it is the right thing.

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am still looking for a position working at a library. Sent off for a part time position at George Fox Uni. which would be wonderful for us. They'd like someone to start possibly next week. Lord D just started working in that same town, so we would move and eliminate the commute for him.

I am supposed to be back at my normal job starting Tuesday, but feeling very much like I'll be walking into Dante's seventh circle of Hell. I've tried in the past couple of years 5 times to get promoted in that company (including just last month) and still am at the same place I was. Part of that I must fess up is that I'm great at what I do, but my heart isn't in it.

It gets so frustrating to decide that this career or job (for me to work in a library) is what you'd finally like to do, and for various reasons, no one gives you a chance to do it. I also agree that in a lot of jobs, they already know who they want in that position and are just trolling to see what else might come into the net. I often feel like Donkey in Shrek, jumping up and down saying "Oh! Oh! Pick Me! Pick Me!"

Great news Trudy! What a miracle it is to have a job you really want and am excited about! That is really awesome!

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I applied for the job at the Charity I Cant Decide If I Want To Go Back To but still not sure if it is the right thing.

Probably not, actually, from what you've said so far. If it ended badly as you say then you need to consider whether you'd be happy working in that environment again and possibly having daily contact with the people who were directly involved. Also, it's not entirely impossible that you might even end up working for one of them again.

If all this happened a few years ago and is a large organization then it could be OK, but if it's fairly recent, or a small company, then I have to say don't be surprised if you are not called for interview.

As for my own news - I had an interview last week. All was going reasonably OK until they sprang roleplay on me in the middle of it, which was my first experience of it. This was rather disconcerting, but I expect it was meant to be. Not surprisingly after that I didn't get the job, but on the other hand, they hadn't specified that acting skills were part of the role.

I can see why they do it, but at the same time, it does seem a bit childish in an interview situation to suddenly break into an overt game of "let's pretend".

Queen Mousie
Shipmate
# 9925

- Posted      Profile for Queen Mousie   Email Queen Mousie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been searching for a year now. Some very good interviews, but not one job offer.
[Votive] [Votive] Please, much appreciated!
Thanks [Axe murder] Q.M.

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 167 | From: On a clear day you can see L.A. L.A. Land | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

If all this happened a few years ago and is a large organization then it could be OK, but if it's fairly recent, or a small company, then I have to say don't be surprised if you are not called for interview. [/QUOTE]

Happened 5 months ago but it's in an organisation of several hundred people and in a different department at the other end of the country.

Have been called for interview on Thursday.

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

I went for the interview. it went well and I was reasonably confident. The "why did you leave your last job?" question I was dreading didnt come up.

Then they phoned to tell me they didnt think I had enough youth work experience. Well duh. Ive worked with students for the last six years. You could tell that from the application form. If the 11-18s stuff was so important why on earth did you shortlist me?

And I gave a disapointing answer to the question about fundraising with youth and students. Well if fundraising is going to be your main priorty with students, good luck to you. It's pioneering work. No other charity in the student sector is doing it, its all campigning and education work, with good reason, but you carry on and much good may it do you.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just applied for a job as a Support Assistant at the local High School, which looks interesting. It's the first job I've applied for since I lost my bookshop job, so it's probably wildly optimistic to hope that I'll get it - but it would be nice....

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Well, I have still not recieved my CRB clearance, although I did get a call the other day to say it should only be another couple of weeks. Hurrah! [Roll Eyes]

Because the CRB are not doing their job, I not only have no money but am in the incredibly unpleasent position of having to try and pursuade the dole that I am seriously looking for work (which, frankly, I'm not*) and that there is nothing on the horizon (which there is). I HATE having to do this, but I see no alternative.

The CRB fiasco has now gone on for so long that I will definately not under any circumstances have enough to last till I get paid. [Mad]

Why oh why oh why can't they hurry up? [Frown]

*Apart from anything else, anything I would be likely to get permanent-job-wise would require a CRB check, and the little office temping places claim not to have any vacanies.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

Thats grim Papio.

In my experience CRBs have always come through fairly quickly. I always think its daft that each place needs a new one. I have a number of letters from them informing me that i am not a criminal. I always think it would be better if you could apply for a card which could be updated fairly regularly as a CRB is only really any use on the day it's given anyway. You could do anything the day after. That way it could travel with you from job to job.

I understood that it was the place you were working that applied for it tho. does that mean you have a job to go to when it comes? And cant they ring up/write and chase it for you? Hope it works out soon.

Also living on JSA. Althougth they dont seem to care whether I am looking for something or not. Their stairs smell like a toliet,tho (just to add to the joys of going there) who is doing that? and why havent they cleaned it? does it happen regularly?

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

I have a job to go to when I get my CRB, which is another reason why I am not seriously looking at the moment. Pretty much as soon as I get it, I'm sorted as far as I can tell. I haven't got an offer in writing (which would mean I had to sign off) but have had repeated verbal offers and assurances from the charity in question. I know others who have worked for them, and am not too bothered about the verisimilitude of these verbal offers. I believe them.

Apart, that is, from the fact that I will have to wait a long time before I get my first paycheck and in the meantime I have faires to buy, food to buy and all the other bills.

Both I and the job are chasing them, but they do seem almost breathtaking laxidaisical, to be frank.

I agree with you about the stupidity of the system and for the same sort of reasons.

On at least two occasions when I have signed on, the person has not even looked at my so-called "Job Seeker's Diary". Not even glanced at it.

Given the fact that I write down that I did something does not mean I actually did do it, and that they again don't seem to care anyway, and that the idea that there will be 3 suitable jobs each week is just plain daft, I do not have a lot of faith in the system.

To a certain extent, I am stringing the dole along till I get my clearance. A bit dodge, I admit, but it is hardly my fault that this is taking so long and if they would get it sorted then I wouldn't have any need to take the tax-payer's money. I already have no desire to.

My job centre stinks of piss as well. I wonder if it is company policy? They do seem to go out of their way to make life unpleasent. I suppose that's because we are all dishonest workshy scum. [Biased]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

quote:
My job centre stinks of piss as well. I wonder if it is company policy? They do seem to go out of their way to make life unpleasent. I suppose that's because we are all dishonest workshy scum. [Biased]

That would explain why burly security guard hasnt stopped people pissing on the stairs. Maybe it's him who is doing it. It's in his job description refresh the scent regularly and keep the corparate image up.

I had to go there today to pick up a letter for the student loans company (now there is a shower of bastards) and I got the guy who uses my first name every ten seconds in faux friendly way. Is that standard or is it just him?

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi folks, am still applying for jobs and looking for something in London idealy. It's getting me down a bit. Had an interview for a temporary job (which could have lasted for a year), and although they liked my interview they brought up my CV and asked why I was applying for the job (it was a temp job I had been told about two days before) as it didn't seem to fit into what I've done before, which was a bit odd. Even though they liked my interview, it has fallen through, as four other temps from the agency I was there from did'nt turn up - I was the only temp from my agency to turn up there.

Anyway, I'm going to keep applying for jobs, and am confident I will find something. I'm going off to Copenhagen on thursday to see a friend from my time in Sweden, so I'm focussing on that.

All the best, and prayers to all others searching for jobs at the moment.

Off Centre View

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Is that standard or is it just him?

I think that's just him.

I get the guy who seems to think that every single signee is, without exception, working in paid employment.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I'm beginning to realise, reading the posts here, how lucky I am to be signing on at my local Job Centre, which is clean, comfortable, and has pleasant and friendly staff.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016