homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it makes you feel any better, Loveheart, the career I want is utterly untenable for a dozen reasons.

It probably doesn't, because things often don't in your situation, but people are thinking of you and hoping.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Sandemaniac.

I have now got a job interview, as a Finance Administrator in a school. Its 25 miles away, so I'm not sure how feasible it is with travel etc, but its 25 hours a week, term time plus 5 days, so a lot more manageable.

Please pray for discernment for me - I only want this job if this is part of God's plan for me... there are many pros and cons to work out and think and pray about! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
References have been contacted already!!! My current job, I've had a lot of sickness from, mainly due to stress (although sickness reasons tended to be stomach upset/migraine rather than anything else), but also due to a lot of family stress. Any suggestions on how to handle this at interview?

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Its a good question that I don't know the answer to... similarly I will be applying for teaching jobs at some point in the next year and I don't quite know how to put the "reason for leaving" as having had ME/cfs and needing to recover but now I'm ok.... without instantly going int he reject bin!!!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
Well, I am looking for some part time work on the permitted work scheme, as I am bored stiff.

When I did this, I first signed up with the local agency who had the contract for getting disabled people back into work. They did look for things on my behalf, and they were very useful for squaring things with the permitted work scheme in terms of paperwork. I also kept an eye on the job centre website at things with incredibly part time hours. My situation was slightly worse, as it was my first attempt to seek normal employment and after 5+ years with fatigue. But After 2 or 3 interviews I found one in the third sector (social services) which took me seriously, gave me an interview, and took me on for 8 hours a week spread across 2 or 3 days. Weird jobs like this exist, but they are advertised in strange places. Some of them aren't even advertised, and it is worth talking to everyone you know about how you are looking for a job for a few hours a week. Someone might know something.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Emma in your line of work would it be an option for you to do some supply teaching while applying for longer term jobs to prove that you were well enough to work again ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'frin,

Thanks for the tip. The jobcentre person mentioned something about there being a service to help me back into work and I had completely forgotten about it. I'll give them a call later in the week!

Jenn

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So I've jsut had this interview. And I really think I'd like to work for this particular company. And I think I did OK at the interview - I didn't fall flat on my face or anything.

So now I wait. I was the first person interviewed, so it might be a long wait.

But at least I had an interview, for a real job, a job that I could do, and probably be successful at! Yay for that, because I was starting to feel like a useless lump.

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keeping fingers crossed for you Izzybee. For everyone else still looking as well.

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Emma in your line of work would it be an option for you to do some supply teaching while applying for longer term jobs to prove that you were well enough to work again ?

Supply teaching could be a way back, but it is not the easy ride some people seem to think. OK, you don't have the planning, reporting etc. But you do have the stress of trying to teach a class who "always play up the supply teacher".
I do enjoy the challenge, but it is not an easy route into work!

--------------------
Less is more ...

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Emma, what age group did you teach? There seems to be a need at the moment in Primary schools for a teacher to cover PPA time - it looked an ideal 'way back in', seeing the teacher in my son's school go from full time (having had a lot of extra time off due to pregnancy complications) to two days a week to fit round her son, then another baby, up to 3 days and eventually full time again, when someone else moved on.

[PPA time leaves a teacher a free morning or afternoon a week for planning, prep and assessment, for those of you not in the profession]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By no means was I suggesting that supply teaching was easier. I was simply thinking of Emma's concern that employers would worry sbout choosing someone returning from lengthy fatigue related illness. I don't know, but thought they might worry less about employing someone for short term work than for a permanent job, because there is less risk to the employer.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moonlitdoor is right and - I think that would be the ideal situation to show reliability at work etc I'm secondary trained though and my problem will be regular childcare. When it comes to it I will ask the agencies if its possible to sign up part-time but when I last did supply they tend to want a week here, week there. (It might be easier to do part-time with primary, I'll have to look to see if I'd be accepted...) I'd also end up paying a part time nursery which if I didnt get all the shifts wouldn't cover costs.... but if it got me back into work eventually maybe its worth it!!! I'd also probably need a car for supply which I'd think about getting for a permanent job but for something irregular might not work out. *puts thinking cap on*

Thanks for ideas.. I'll come back here in a few months when I have to start applying!!!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Emma, I know quite a few supply teachers who are secondary trained, but cover both secondary & primary (although they do tend to panic a bit when asked to cover Reception classes). I am primary trained and have as much work as I want (minimum 3 days a week). Most of the time it is great - I love the variety, but the uncertainty is not so good, especially as you will also need to arrange child care. You can say what days you are available, but may find out you are paying for child care without getting any work.
Good Luck!

--------------------
Less is more ...

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mother-in-law is a supply teacher and gets about three days a week on average. The downside is the uncertainty. She often gets calls early in the morning asking if she can teach that day. Journey times can also be long (she lives in a semi-rural area though, so it would probably be easier somewhere else).
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

Signed on at the job centre today...

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

I've got a interview [Yipee]
Only trouble is, now I'm not really sure I do want a permanent post, as I really enjoy the variety of supply teaching [Big Grin]

--------------------
Less is more ...

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Fingers crossed for all those looking for suitable work.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If anyone is looking for work as a Statistician, Researcher or Economist in the Civil Service at Titchfield (nr Portsmouth) or Newport (South Wales) the Office for National Statistics is recruiting.

I don't know about Titchfield but Newport isn't really *that* bad [Biased]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

I have a friend who lives in Newport!

I have a job interview, 5 June, Finance Manager in a school... 15 hours a week.

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

Another interview, another rejection. [Waterworks] No real reason given, except someone else fitted the bill better. [brick wall] At least I know I can interview well now!
And, to be honest, I'm not sure I do want full-time work anyway!

[ 18. May 2009, 15:46: Message edited by: The Kat in the Hat ]

--------------------
Less is more ...

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

I came second [Waterworks]

I interviewed very well. I answered all questions well, some questions very well indeed. But someone else had more experience. They only interviewed 4 people as well.

I take small comfort from the feedback, but its a bit like getting 5 numbers rather than 6 on the lottery!

Wasn't meant to be [Waterworks]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I hope that fact that no-one has posted here for months is good news generally!

I know the Ship has a number of scientists aboard - a couple I know by their Shipname, others I recall but can't remember their ID. I'm once again wondering what on earth I'm going to do with the rest of my life as I've spent a number of yeas wandering from one technician post to another without any real interest in the subject. As my age and experience levels have risen (allegedly, in the case of one of those, sometimes!), so has my salary and I'm sure I'm at a point where I will be too expensive to employ for what I have to offer in return.

I have a long list of things that I don't want to do, but a pathetically short list of things that I do want to do. So my $64,000 question is do any Shipmate scientists know people who've gone from lab techs to something else? I'm trying to get hold of people to talk to by way of getting ideas and networking, and it's (a) something I'm not very good at and (b) a hard slog - I get the impression that techs either stay until they die or just vanish!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

AG

PS reading that, adding the field might help - I did Biochemistry.

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've known school and university lab techs who retrained as either teachers or youth workers.

You know there's a free version of the Stamford test on the UCAS site?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I wasn't aware, no - possibly because UCAS was still UCCA the last time I was interested... [Hot and Hormonal] Thanks! Will try that.

I have to say that I did a Diploma course four years ago and the stress nearly did for me. I'm not desperate enough to do another course - yet. So retraining is out until desperation strikes. Which illustrates perfectly a major worry of mine which is that I have a huge list of things I don't want to do, and a very small, and not-sensibly-attainable list of things I would like to do. Self-made hurdles are often the biggest...

AG

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

I'm glad someone has found this!

I sent my application form in for a job yesterday. I've got a really good feeling about it, the hours are right, the work sounds brilliant and I reckon I'd be good at it, now just have to wait to see if I'm called for an interview!

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds great, Loveheart.

Now that I have a new job, I will have way more time for prayers for you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Now that I have a new job, I will have way more time for prayers for you. [Big Grin]

Thanks, all prayers appreciated! [Smile]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Hmmm, the Stanford test results are quite interesting. Given my tendency to immediately pick out the bits I don't like, I think I will get the Knotweed to look at my results, then see what I get if I take out all the "possibly" answers.

Thanks for pointing me that way, CK!

AG

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Joining in the thread at a bit of a low point - TME has been out of work now since Christmas, has had a million interviews (that's what it feels like anyway), getting close with several, but it's just not happening yet [Frown]

In the meantime, I have an interview on Monday (it's not a bank holiday up here north of the border) for a job I don't particularly want, doing what I was doing in London before moving here to do my PhD, but our financial situation is difficult so if they offer it I'll have to take it. At least if I get it then I'll be jobhunting from the position of having a job already (though if I got offered a better one and resigned after only a couple of months I'd feel really really guilty), and it would mean that I could finish writing up my PhD whilst not in a whizzy high-powered job. So I really don't know what to ask prayers for - that I get the job, or that I don't but one or both of us gets something we really want? Actually the most important thing for anyone who wants to pray for us is that TME gets something. It's really tough out there (as you all know) [Frown]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I should have posted here months ago! [Biased] I got offered the job, and have accepted (subject to references and criminal record check etc). It will keep us going for a bit, and I've decided not to apply for anything else for the time being, as leaving after a couple of months to go to another job isn't really on. TME is still looking, so if he's successful elsewhere then I might still have to leave after a couple of months, but it will be a much less guilt-inducing reason, if that makes sense. Anyway, I'm very thankful and relieved (which is a much better state of affairs than being stressed and tearful!). Thanks for prayers [Smile]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

Fantastic news, JTE! I am waiting to hear whether I've got an interview for the job i've applied for - here's praying I get the same result! [Yipee]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

I hope so Loveheart - hang on in there, it's so dispiriting waiting isn't it? Best wishes.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Pretty Butterfly
Shipmate
# 15024

- Posted      Profile for Pretty Butterfly     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to an interview the week before last and just found out I didn't get it (having waited over a week for them to tell me).

I can't see any jobs I even want to apply for today, here's to hoping some more ads are posted tomorrow.

I feel very grumpy about the whole thing.

Posts: 121 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

[Votive] Fingers crossed for all those in the search.

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

quote:
Originally posted by prettybutterfly:
I can't see any jobs I even want to apply for today, here's to hoping some more ads are posted tomorrow.

I feel very grumpy about the whole thing.

Grumpy is better than anxious and depressed, which is how I feel about it atm... closely followed by wanting to ram the newspaper down the throat of well-meaning friends who trot out platitudes.

--------------------

les@BALM
The Ship's Visionary
# 11237

- Posted      Profile for les@BALM   Author's homepage   Email les@BALM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All the best to all those seeking work, it ain't easy at the best of times, but currently it's even that bit harder.

I'm currently looking for work in Canada in Adult Ed, currently awaiting my residency approval from the CHC office in London, UK. If anyone has an advice or know of any suitable openings or useful contacts, please do PM me. Thanks, Les.

--------------------
il sole d'Italia mi è rimasto nel cure
Italia campioni del mondo ****

Tiggs the cat.

Posts: 1863 | From: Canada, eh! | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

I've not heard anything [Waterworks]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, my name is Mousethief and I am newly unemployed. (This is a 12-step group, right?) I'm still in the very early stages (just found out today) so I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. Still kind of numb, as I'm sure you're all familiar with.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] MT

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] MT
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

[Votive] MT - really sorry to hear that. I hope and pray the way forward becomes clear for you soon.

TME has another interview tomorrow - after not working all this year, and only having contract work at the other end of the country last year (meaning we spent much of our first year of marriage apart, with me commuting between Scotland and southern England each week) it would be great if he could just get something so we can be settled for a bit. It's not a great job, but it really would do for now, and it's here in Scotland. All prayers gratefully received - thanks.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pretty Butterfly
Shipmate
# 15024

- Posted      Profile for Pretty Butterfly     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry to hear that mousetheif. [Frown]
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

[Votive] MT

JTL, hope the interview goes well today.

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just checking in to offer the support of thinking of you who are searching and sending up prayers. MT, numb is exactly what has happened to me when I have been out of work...then I usually panic...and then eventually I get around to being able to think enough to search.
A miserable process all around.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pretty Butterfly
Shipmate
# 15024

Submitted another application yesterday, hope it's the one for me.

I've got some more applications to get on with writing, too. (Even though if I fill out one more form I think I might scream)

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

I think I might join you in screaming. I've got 2 application forms to fill out, neither for jobs I particularly want...

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just, to my relief, been turned down for a job I didn't want!

I know I did absolutely fine at all levels, which was confirmed when they rang back to tell me I'd not got it, and just doing that has done far more good than anything else really.

It means the search is back on, but I'm much clearer in my own mind about what I want/need, and that if I'm juggling two part time jobs, I don't need both of them to be people-intense responsible ones.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

That sounds incredibly positive No Socks!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016