homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I'm beginning to realise, reading the posts here, how lucky I am to be signing on at my local Job Centre, which is clean, comfortable, and has pleasant and friendly staff.

It's good to know that they are not all unpleasent places to visit. [Biased]

Then again, you would appear to live in Hay-on-Wye.

*Papio tries, and fails, not to be envious* [Biased]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You live in book heaven and you get a clean job centre.

Why does nt this happen to me??? I'm a good person *wails at god*

There is a very nice Oxfam bookshop over the road from said job centre. I'm tempted to ask if they want help on Friday mornings and then going to the job centre wouldnt be so foul, but last time I was in they had two people reading at the till and didnt look they needed help at all. I got shy too.

Best of luck off centre view. What sort of thing are you looking for?

Posts: 266 | From: birmingham | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey folks, might have a job interview for a job working at a major recruitment company in Central London. I'd applied over the 'net a few days ago, and they gave me a phone call this morning (13th september), and sounded positive and the bloke told me that it pays well, so I can also see it helping to fund further studies that I'd like to undertake.

I've been told that they will contact me tomorrow to let me know some more details, so I will see if I've got an interview soon. Actually getting the job may be another matter, but things are looking up.

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms Lilith:
You live in book heaven and you get a clean job centre.

Why does nt this happen to me??? I'm a good person *wails at god*

There is a very nice Oxfam bookshop over the road from said job centre. I'm tempted to ask if they want help on Friday mornings and then going to the job centre wouldnt be so foul, but last time I was in they had two people reading at the till and didnt look they needed help at all. I got shy too.

Best of luck off centre view. What sort of thing are you looking for?

They may still need some help some of the time.

Just because there are people on the till, it doesn't mean that anyone is out at the back actually sorting the books, for example.

Really, they can only say "no" can't they? Might be worth a try.

A word of warning though: I'm a book addict and I do the books at my local Oxfam. This is ok, but my personal library has grown so rapidly that I now have several very large (as in, each is several foot high) book piles on the floor next to my plural book cases as they won;t fit on.

Not sure whether to be [Big Grin] or [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:
Hey folks, might have a job interview for a job working at a major recruitment company in Central London. I'd applied over the 'net a few days ago, and they gave me a phone call this morning (13th september), and sounded positive and the bloke told me that it pays well, so I can also see it helping to fund further studies that I'd like to undertake.

I've been told that they will contact me tomorrow to let me know some more details, so I will see if I've got an interview soon. Actually getting the job may be another matter, but things are looking up.

Excellent.

Best wishes from me and hope you get the job. [Smile]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
quote:

Excellent.

Best wishes from me and hope you get the job. [Smile]

Thanks Papio, still haven't heard from them again yet, but am sure they will call me soon.

Best wishes to everyone else searching for a job.
OCV

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
They may still need some help some of the time.

I think I will ask. If nothing else I need more things to put on my CV so it doesn’t look like Ive been sat on my arse since April. I haven’t, it will add to: archiving for SCM (fascinating old documents from when they set up hippy communes in the 1970s) writing for the student stop aids coalition and mentoring some volunteers.
I think it would be a lot worse if I couldn’t talk about those things in interview
quote:
A word of warning… my personal library has grown so rapidly

It's bad enough just walking past it fortnightly.
It refuse to think of it as a source for shame tho. My body may need bread etc. but my soul needs books.
quote:
still haven't heard from them again yet, but am sure they will call me soon.

Put on your most cheery 'nonchalant but professional' voice and call and say "I was just calling to follow up on that" I keep saying that lately. No one minds and it shows you are keen.

<tangent>
quote:
Saddened that the Guardian has gone tabloid

I simply cant let this pass. This is the best thing that has happened to me all week (but I am jobless and joyless at the mo so it doesn’t take much) And it has Not gone tabloid. I think you will find it has gone 'Berliner'
</tangent>

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

<On the tangent> I must admit that I by far preferred the broadsheet version, but there you go. It seems to me that we are now paying the same price for fewer stories which are shorter in length and I expect to see dumbing down in the near future. Maybe I am just cyncial.

And ok, "Berliner", but it still feels like buying a tabloid. Really not very happy about it, since there is now no daily broadsheet.

(Tangent)

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ms Lilith - do you mean the Guardian is now a doughnut? [Ultra confused]

And Papio - you can never have too many books (well, okay, if you need to re-inforce the floor, maybe, but otherwise, no).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Papio - you can never have too many books (well, okay, if you need to re-inforce the floor, maybe, but otherwise, no).

I know, both on the ship and IRL, many people who have thousands and thousands of volumes, even tens of thousands in a few cases. A lady I work with at Oxfam has a large house with many rooms and each and every room is crammed with books. Her staircase is as well, as is her attic.

She seems to buy armfuls of books every time she comes in to work there, which is to say, about 3 times a week.

Given that I currently have just over 1000, I guess that I am hardly excessive.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

Mmmm doughnuts. But no I dont think they intended to speak German. [Biased] But it's great. I used to read it online and when I had time to spread it over my coffee table and hover over it (like on Saturdays). When the independant and times went little I walied and moaned that you still couldnt read the guardian without either the coffee table or having your arms ache, or whacking unsuspecting strangers who were sat within three feet of you. I have long suspected that broadsheets were part of a plot by long armed interlectuals to keep the rest of our heads filled wih handbags and celeb divorces so we dont meddle in politics.

yesterday I bought a copy to Read On The Train. So chuffed.

I am procrastinating by posting on a job support thread about the Guardian instead of filling in a job application for a maternity cover post I'm not really interested in but would get me some money.

[ 15. September 2005, 11:23: Message edited by: Ms Lilith ]

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Ms Lilith:
I have long suspected that broadsheets were part of a plot by long armed interlectuals to keep the rest of our heads filled wih handbags and celeb divorces so we dont meddle in politics.

yesterday I bought a copy to Read On The Train. So chuffed.

Before the Independant and Times "went little" I bought the Indie. I then switched to the Guardian on the basis that A) It was still a broadsheet and B) I might as well admit that I'm a liberal-lefty at heart.

I like broadsheets.

Surely one of the prime factors that made a broadsheet preferrable to a tabloid was the fact that it was more intelligent? Plus, I have read broadsheets on trains loads of times. What is the problem? [Confused] [Confused]

If the Guardian dumbs down even fractionally then I will stop buying it. Frankly, I almost stopped buying it already since, as I say, it feels like buying a tabloid. I have no problem with people who would rather read a tabloid, but I don't really see why I should be denied the option of a daily broadsheet. I'm not sure if the Torygraph is still a broadsheet but, if it is, then that is crueller still. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Queen Mousie
Shipmate
# 9925

- Posted      Profile for Queen Mousie   Email Queen Mousie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Gang,

I had a nice interview Tuesday for a data entry job at a YMCA ten miles east of here. It is a 6 hour day Mon.-Fri. the pay is okay, and if it is offered I am going to take it. Need the $! I must admit I was nervous going in, it has been a while since I have had a face to face interview. They will let me know Friday, it starts the 26th. [Smile]
[Votive] for all who are still looking, or are going thru difficult times at a job they have, or are in midst of change.
Queen Mousie

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 167 | From: On a clear day you can see L.A. L.A. Land | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I have an interview on Monday (which is not bad going when I've only been out of work for a couple of weeks). And its working in libraries, which is what I wanted.

However its a 'relief branch assistant' post for libraries in Mid Suffolk, which means places about 45 minutes drive away. Which wouldn't be so bad, just that in the meantime since applying for that, three other suitable (part time or relief) library jobs have come up in my local library. Which would of course be much better for me as less travel. But the closing date for those wasn't until yesterday - so I've no idea at this stage whether I'll also be shortlisted for one of those.

So my dilemma is, do I mention the fact at Monday's interview that I would really prefer one of the more local posts (they will know I've applied anyway I'm pretty sure, as it was through the same recruitment office) - or will that scupper my chances of being seriously considered for this one? The worst case scenario is where I might have been offered this job, but wasn't because I mentioned the others, but then I don't even get shortlisted for any of the other posts.

Or do I keep schtum, take the job if offered, then still hope that I get shortlisted for the other posts, then ditch this one if I get offered the other one?

My ideal scenario would be for this one just to act as interview experience (something I desperately need anyway, having been in my previous job for nearly 21 years), to help me to actually get one of the other jobs later in the month.

Ho hum, why is life so complicated?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I didn't get the job today anyway, so that's the end of that dilemma.

For feedback I was told that:
1) I didn't know enough about libraries (something I guess I can remedy before the next interview, that's assuming I get shortlisted again)
2) I had little or no 'customer service' experience. Which is kinda true, but how on earth are you supposed to get the experience unless they let you do a job without previous experience?! [brick wall]

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
how on earth are you supposed to get the experience unless they let you do a job without previous experience?! [brick wall]

At the risk of being patronising, I find that most of my work skills come directly from the voluntary sector. It might be worth finding out if there is something that you can do for free for, say, 15 hours a week and which will give you said experience, even if only a limited amount. There is often more out there then is immediately apparent and it shows employers that you are serious about getting your hands dirty. Esp if your volunatary work is related to the job you want them to pay you for doing.

I know that you may already have looked into this, and that there are drawbacks to voluntary work, but it is something that I have found useful.

Sorry you didn't get the job. [Frown]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Queen Mousie:
Hi Gang,

I had a nice interview Tuesday for a data entry job at a YMCA ten miles east of here. It is a 6 hour day Mon.-Fri. the pay is okay, and if it is offered I am going to take it. Need the $! I must admit I was nervous going in, it has been a while since I have had a face to face interview. They will let me know Friday, it starts the 26th. [Smile]
[Votive] for all who are still looking, or are going thru difficult times at a job they have, or are in midst of change.
Queen Mousie

Have you heard anything yet?

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

quote:

For feedback I was told that:
1) I didn't know enough about libraries (something I guess I can remedy before the next interview, that's assuming I get shortlisted again)

So it was definately worth doing. You can read up on your dewey decimal or what ever it is you need to know beforehand. Have you been to the library you want to work in and had a good mooch about?

quote:
2) I had little or no 'customer service' experience. Which is kinda true, but how on earth are you supposed to get the experience unless they let you do a job without previous experience?! [brick wall]
Get thee to thy nearest Oxfam bookstore? It might be fun and and you can talk about it at interview.

Have you sat down and thought about what you have done. Is there anything that you can talk up which would have given you the skills you need in customer service. Try asking a friend as well, sometimes they see things you have missed that you can make something of. Good luck.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

quote:
quote:
how on earth are you supposed to get the experience unless they let you do a job without previous experience?! [brick wall]

At the risk of being patronising, I find that most of my work skills come directly from the voluntary sector. It might be worth finding out if there is something that you can do for free for, say, 15 hours a week and which will give you said experience, even if only a limited amount. There is often more out there then is immediately apparent and it shows employers that you are serious about getting your hands dirty. Esp if your volunatary work is related to the job you want them to pay you for doing.

I know that you may already have looked into this, and that there are drawbacks to voluntary work, but it is something that I have found useful.

Sorry you didn't get the job. [Frown]

Not patronising at all Papio, and something I've already set the ball rolling for - filled in the application form for Oxfam 2 weeks ago, and waiting to hear from them (the guy did phone me to say he was about to go on 2 weeks holiday and would be in touch after then).

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to the Job Fair at Hereford Town Hall today, which was interesting - and it's a good job I know my NI number off by heart because they were taking details at the door!
So, I applied on the spot for a couple of Christmas shop assistant jobs, found out the truth about the local myth "there's always jobs at Brecon Pharmaceuticals" (there aren't) and had a nice chat to a man from the council, who gave me a list of their latest vacancies - a pity most of the ones I'm interested in are at the other end of the county.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

quote:
Went to the Job Fair at Hereford Town Hall today, which was interesting...

Hope something comes of it.

What sort of jobs do you get at a charity fair? I'm looking for graduate/charity/religious/do gooding leftie sort of stuff. The job points at the job centre are a bit of a waste of time for me. Although I shall have to think about temping soon.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Got a phonecall yesterday to invite me to a 'recruitment day' at the County Library, for these three vacant posts that I'd applied for. As there are several posts (4 in total - there's a full time one as well that I'm not interested in) and many applicants, they are going to run 'team building' type exercises for all the candidates in the morning, then select people who did best at those to be interviewed in the afternoon.

Anyone had any experience of this style of recruitment? Anything I need to watch out for? Anyway it will be interesting to meet and work with the other candidates - at least I will know what I'm up againt!! [Paranoid]

[ 22. September 2005, 07:49: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Hello folks,
Just wanted to say that I have an interview for the major recruitment company as a trainee recruitment consultant on monday, so hopefully this will be the first in a series of interviews.

Even if this particular job is not exactly what I had planned to be doing, it will be good to get the job and to see what it's like to work in Central London for a bit, and if I don't get the job then doing an interview will have been great experience.

I'm hoping to get some other interviews soon as well, but this one will be a great job if I can get it.

Good luck to everyone else searching for jobs at the moment [Votive] .

All the best,
OCV

--------------------

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

quote:
they are going to run 'team building' type exercises for all the candidates in the morning, then select people who did best at those to be interviewed in the afternoon.

Anyone had any experience of this style of recruitment?

I think I'd hate that. I haven't had experience of recruitment like that but I have led those team building exercises (against my better judgement). This might be telling you what you already know but..

Don’t get caught up in the task. Nobody actually cares if you can throw an egg from the car park with a carrier bag, some straws, string and a piece of blu tack - they are looking at how you interact with the other canditates. (So no stabbing them with the scissors [Biased] )
Don’t try to be the sort of team player you think they want to see, be the kind you are. If they are any good they will spot that. Also, you need to know that you will be comfortable as yourself in the team you are placed in if successful.

Although it sounds to me like they are looking for someone who first and foremost fits in with their existing teams and then will see about your ability to do the job. This strikes me as slightly dodgy.

A friend of mine just met with ACAS to check that his recruitment processes were all above board and good practice. What I've learnt from him about this shocks me about how much bad practice there is out there.

Good luck tho. And to OCV

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I've got an interview next week at the local high school, for Learning Support Assistant. It sounds interesting, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eigon, I do something like that at University, basically providing support to students with a disability ranging from dyslexia, mental health probs, autism to physical disabilities.

It's a brilliant, rewarding job where you can learn a lot.

I mainly provide study support, help with organisation of work (and life), and do some study skills help.

If it's anything like the job your going for PM me, and I'll tell you the questions I got asked in my interview (in case they might help). If not good luck, and that goes out to all the job seekers!

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensnog
Shipmate
# 8017

- Posted      Profile for Evensnog   Email Evensnog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks as though I'm going to be job hunting very, very soon. I work for a non-profit and we're having severe financial problems, and my job is one of the less essential ones.

*sigh*

I absolutely hate interviewing.

Posts: 507 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Well, despite their "complete assurance" that I would have started work before tomorrow, I have not done so.

This leaves me having to sign without having applied for anything, apart from any emials I can send this evening asking companies to send out application packs, and then to have a meeting with the jobcentre about Why I Haven't A Job under those same circumstances. Besides which, I still have no money and I do seriously mean that the £50 a week is all I have. No savings left.

If that were not bad enough, there is apparently a "for sale" notice outside the charity's head office.

[brick wall] [Mad] [brick wall] [Mad]

They have pissed me about for too long now.

Tomorrow, the CRB will get a phone call informing them, yet again, what a difficult position they have put me into and making it VERY VERY clear indeed that Mr. Papio is Not A Happy Baboon.

The charity will recieve a call asking them for to either let me know what is going on or else forget the whole thing. This is not a step I want to take, but I simply cannot live on fresh air waiting for a job that may not materialise despite their "assurances". I just can't. Apart from anything else, I finished my degree over a year ago and have still not got a full-time job. This is not acceptable.

I am considering contacting my families lawyers over this with a view to suing the CRB, whom I think could not have handled my case more incompetantly if they had tried to do so. Right now, I am really very angry with both the CRB and the charity. Am I just supposed to put my whole life on hold until they get around to pulling their fingers out? [Mad]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Right.

I have, finally, managed to extract the story of What Is Going On from the CRB.

The charity originally gave the CRB an inaccurate date of birth for me which, as it clashed with the date I gave them, had to be sorted out with the Bureau of Births, Deaths and Marriages (or whatever it is called.)

The CRB then immediately informed the charity that they needed some more information from me. The charity then took about three weeks to inform me that I needed to give them more information. The charity said I had to give it to themselves rather than the CRB. I promptly Dropped Everything and ensured that the charity had the extra information on first day possible after I received the request. This was all well over two months ago.

Having just spoken to the CRB, one of the following seems to have happened:

• The charity forgot to send the information to the CRB
  • The information got lost in the post
  • The CRB lost it

Whatever.

The CRB have not got the information and have, after 4 months, precisely zero idea as to whether or not I have a criminal record. They ain't got the foggiest. After 4 months.

So, I am back to square one.

I have to do go through the CRB all over again anyway, and the charity have shown themselves to be incompetant.

So what now?

Do I tell the charity I am no longer interested (by the rules of my "job seeker's agreement" I am not allowed to turn down work and neither is anyone else in the UK so far as I know)?

Do I tell them to give me a definate start date and then either stick to it with no excuse or forget it?

What?

[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, I suggest a several pronged attack.

1. Go to the charity and ask them what the deal is. Explain that your situation is beyond dire and you need to know now where you stand, job or no job. If they fail to give a conclusive answer, they are not providing you with a job.

2. Don't sue the CRB, I know they are useless at times but they will pass the buck as to who is to blame for your predicament and the situation may never be resolved. Besides wasting precious funding on solicitors might not be an idea either.

3. Go back to the job centre and ask for advice off your adviser person. Surely the point of the don't turn down a job rule is to get you off jobseekers asap. If this job is not happening, or likely to happen in the near future, then you are wasting time that you could be spending getting a real job that will exist.

I hope it works out for you. c x

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Hey folks,
had the interview today. It took a bit of time, but both the interviewer and I realised it wasn't the right job for me, so am still searching.

All the best to everyone else still searching [Votive]

Off Centre View

--------------------

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've found the ideal job search website for you all:

http://www.jobs4christians.co.uk

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Hm, I've just had a look at that jobs4christians site, and got an awful lot of "Ooops, there are no matches" out of it.

--------------------

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you look deep enough, they have 6 full time positions listed.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

quote:
Originally posted by strathclydezero:
If you look deep enough, they have 6 full time positions listed.

Just six?

--------------------

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

I just thought "urgk". I haven't done a secular job yet but hate the idea of getting a job just because of my faith. The whole "I am a christian plasterer" really bugs me, I have no time for it.

[ 27. September 2005, 19:36: Message edited by: Ms Lilith ]

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Hi folks,
in looking for jobs, I have also been in contact with an organisation who work in public policy, and working for them as a publishing assistant in Sunningdale. It sounds like an interesting role, and I spoke with the company on the phone this morning and have just emailed them a copy of my CV along with a covering letter.

I have been praying about getting a good job that interests me and I believe that this job could be an excellent one that would suit me.

All the best to everyone else still searching. [Votive]
OCV

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

I went along to the Library recruitment/assesment day today. After doing the exercises in the morning and enjoying the free lunch, I was unfortunately one of the candidates who were sent home at that point, not being invited to stay for an interview. So its on with the search.

Was interesting to meet the other candidates though - there were 18 of us there after 4 posts.

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ive been accepted by a supply teaching agency....

all depends on how well the first few go tho, as to whether i get prioritised for more work etc... Very not dependable but would be fab if i can make it work [Smile]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Gracious rebel - at least you got the free lunch!
I've got my first interview tomorrow (slight gulp).

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Well, I've had the interview, and I just have to wait until Monday for the decision now.
Gosh, schools have changed since I was a pupil! But the girl who needs the special support seemed like a nice kid.
One slightly odd thing was that I knew the other person being interviewed today. We met on the way up to the school, on the bus, and wandered round the local garden centre for half an hour before it was time to go in for the interviews.
Two more people are being interviewed tomorrow.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

And one of the other two got the job. Oh, well, at least I was in the final four.

--------------------

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

quote:
And one of the other two got the job. Oh, well, at least I was in the final four.

Sorry to hear that, Eigon, (but you stil get to live in Hay on Wye so my sympathy is tempered by my jealousy). All interview practice is good for you so well done (trust me, Im very practiced)
What next?

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

Hello folks,
Had another interview today, for a company that organises conferences on major issues of public policy. I was told that they are expanding their organisation and that they are looking to nearly double their number of employees.

I had applied for a fairly low job in the organisation, but they told me that they wanted me for a higher job, and one that would lead to me organising these important events. They didn't call the meeting an interview today, and it was a bit strange as I couldn't really read the body language of the two people interviewing me. I showed them my undergraduate dissertation, and they told me that it was very impressive and then we talked about that.

At the end of the meeting, they told me they still had a couple of people to see and that they would be contacting me shortly. I feel that they can see a position for me in their organisation but that they are still seeing other interviewees and so cannot confirm who they are hiring. I think I just have to wait!

All the best to everyone else who is still searching for work.

God bless,
OCV

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
I think I just have to wait!

Good luck. [Smile]

Eigon - What Ms. Lilith said.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Thanks, Ms Lilith and Papio.

I'm waiting to hear now from a couple of other jobs I've applied for, both office based.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to wring some money out of the benefits agency. Eight months in Greece three years ago has really thrown a spanner into the works, even though two Job Centre people initially said it would all be fine and not to worry about it....

--------------------

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

A friend called me today and persuaded me to go to this recritment and training thingmy.

So to bed with me as I've an early train to catch tomorrow.

It is also on on thursday. Bit short notice but thought it was worth a mention.

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did first day supply teaching today.

it was a nightmare... i think i need a Real Job that isnt teaching asap!

or some better cattle herding skills.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Emma, do not despair! There is a supply teacher at our youngster's school who didn't enjoy the first few days/weeks etc at all. She is fine now though although she does have experienced shoulders to lean on.

Once you know who's who in a class, it pans out much better. Or so I am told.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

but theyre evil!!!!!! (i know you might well be right, ideally not going to different schools all the time and geting established somewhere might be A Good THing!)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016