homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 43)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Frown] Sandemaniac. I think the waiting and not knowing, especially if there are no other applications on the horizon, is the worst thing of the whole horrible business. I hope they get their finger out and tell you soon (and that it's good news, obviously).

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Although I was lucky and did have a job while I was looking, it wasn't where I wanted to be (understatement), and I think it took me about a year and a half of seriously applying for academic jobs to actually getting one, being miserable in work meantime. I was getting to the point where I was about to give up, as I was beginning to think that I just obviously didn't have what it took. That was a bit soul-destroying, so I'm really grateful for the chance now.

Non-platitudinous finger-crossing for everyone here still looking, especially Sandemaniac.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Non-platitudinous finger-crossing for everyone here still looking, especially Sandemaniac.

That turn of phrase is well worth a [Big Grin] , Jack!

I did something constructive this evening, had a bloody good venting session with someone else wondering why the hell she is in science, and am now well down my second glass of something nice. I think the crash has passed, and I can face up to it all (again...).

AG
(You can unlock the sharp implements)

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fuck it. Fuckingfuckingfucketyfuckfuck.

And to top it off, the fucking arsebicuit who filled in the rejection letter can't even fill in a pro-forma properly - I have a letter signed <ENTER SIGN_OFF NAME>
<ENTER SIGN_OFF TITLE>

Fuck the lot of them.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

OK, addendum to that above. I rang for feedback and their big cheese, who had been in a meeting, rang me back. As ever, I performed really well, was positive, fitted in really well blah blah blah, but someone else had exactly the experience they were looking for.

Time to dig out that old copy of Kind Hearts and Coronets, methinks.

AG

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I kinda fell out of financially rewarded employment about two years ago. Tried to return to anything that i'd previously done....and failed at the lot of it. Had the opportunity, just couldn't do the wretched work anymore. Any of it.
After about three months i decided that constant failure was not getting me anywhere, so took a year out. In that year I've concentrated on other stuff, taken on a few clearly definable projects and discovered that I can apparently work in totally new ways now.

All that needs to happen now, is to find some way of being paid for what i am currently doing
or
Find some paid work that brings in the money, while i carry on volunteering where i am now.

All this to say: Hello again [Smile]

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi folks.

Am currently updating my CV for the first time in a while. The most recent version I can find is 2004, when I was not long out of Uni. So some advice would be appreciated.

I have a vague memory of being told that job histories should only go back 5 years. Is that right? What about skills, etc? If my best example of Team Work was something I haven't done since 2007, would a potential employer care about it?

On references, I have been told that it is Against Policy at my current organisation for my manager to give me a reference. HR can provide confirmation that I work there and give stats about my sick leave, etc. but that's apparently about it. Is this a common problem?

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I suspect that the five years thing might have been aimed at recent graduates, who are unlikely to have much work experience anyway (and even less these days...). A well known dark blue university specifically requests that CVs from job applicants should cover at least the last ten years. So if you did it in 2007, get it in there.

As for the second question, frankly, I'm gobsmacked - I would have thought that it puts their staff at a huge disadvantage when moving on. I think you need to talk to someone in the recruitment business, perhaps even the CAB, about that. I think it stinks!

AG

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly the "can't give a reference" dictat is trotted out more and more....
Worst culprit? CAB itself [Frown]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
On references, I have been told that it is Against Policy at my current organisation for my manager to give me a reference. HR can provide confirmation that I work there and give stats about my sick leave, etc. but that's apparently about it. Is this a common problem?

Yes, it's increasingly the case. I can't get a reference from mine either, and when I've mentioned that at interview the interviewers invariably say, with some regret, that this seems to be true for most people these days.

I'm afraid all you can do is give that but also try to approach someone from your previous employment and ask if they would be prepared to write you one if necessary - provided it hasn't been too long ago.

I wouldn't worry about the five years' job history on your CV. It's going to look odd if you just limit it to that - employers like to get a perspective on someone's history, and they always ask for it on application forms.

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks All. You're right, it did look odd without the older employment stuff!

Is it acceptable to provide a CV without references and then wait until they're specifically asked for? There is a guy from my previously place (2008) who could write one for me, but I'd rather not make demands on his time until I've found some serious-looking prospects. At the moment I'm in "exploring my options" mode. The most interesting looking vacancy I've seen is through an agency, and they don't even give the name of the employer.

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Rufiki,

I'm no expert but I think that employers really *should* pay attention to skills and experience gained some years ago, as well as recent ones.

I've been working full time for about 10 years and I put all my jobs in. I started off teaching which is fairly irrelevant to the jobs I'm going for now, so I've only got a couple of bullet points under that heading.

Of course the standard advice is to tweak your CV for every job application to show how you meet their criteria. SO much work, but necessary to get that interview, I think.

In terms of references, I'd say put them in anyway. If the organisation contacts them and just hears you worked there for that length of time, then that's fine. (I wish I could do that for my most recent boss - we had a bit of a clash of personalities, sadly!). If you don't put them in, it may look like you've got something to hide.

Good luck to you and all of us on the hunt!

Eleanorjane

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Is it acceptable to provide a CV without references and then wait until they're specifically asked for?

I always do that. Some employers like to take up references as a means of sifting through applications, then decide they don't want to interview you, which wastes your referees' time. It's kinder on referees if they only get called on when there's a good chance you might actually get a new job, rather than just for form's sake.

Others will have different viewpoints on this though. [Biased]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My employer, back in the old days, only requested references later AND HR only allowed notice to be taken of them if they were very negative.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Education over here in the UK, references are only taken up if you get the job (although plenty of unofficial phone calls are made)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Others will have different viewpoints on this though. [Biased]

But I like your answer so I'll take it! [Smile]
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I've just managed to gobsmack Sandemaniac further by pointing out that the Public Sector Organisation I work for has much the same policy on references. Not actually sure if all the staff there know - I spent some time in HR, hence my knowledge. Yes, a great many places will only confirm dates of service & possibly sick leave. If I can find my employment law notes (I am not a qualified lawyer) I might look up which case it was started getting companies nervous about what they said in references.

Most places I've been only contact your referees after offering the post (offer is made subject to satisfactory references & sometimes also checking qualifications).

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I have been told that it is Against Policy at my current organisation for my manager to give me a reference. HR can provide confirmation that I work there and give stats about my sick leave, etc. but that's apparently about it. Is this a common problem?

It is a very common practice. Apparently a less than favorable reference, or a good reference for an employee who later turns out to be less than satisfactory in the new position, can leave the former employer open to legal action. So it's best simply to say nothing.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
In Education over here in the UK, references are only taken up if you get the job (although plenty of unofficial phone calls are made)

Depends on the employer. Some will take them up before interview as a matter of course. This happened twice to me even though I had specifically ticked the box asking for referees not to be contacted beforehand. I did mention this at interview and the interviewer was quite unrepentant – "it's our policy." After that I not only ticked the box, but also deliberately ceased to include any details of referees at all, just putting a note that said if they wanted to interview me I'd provide them then.
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good interview yesterday... on tenterhooks today, although I might not hear 'till the end of the week.

If I don't hear today, I'll have to hire a car for Thursday and bone up for an interview that's about an hour and a half's drive away (working from home if I got the job). I'd rather not, if possible...

<crosses fingers and toes and hops about excitedly>

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
Good interview yesterday... on tenterhooks today, although I might not hear 'till the end of the week.

If I don't hear today, I'll have to hire a car for Thursday and bone up for an interview that's about an hour and a half's drive away (working from home if I got the job). I'd rather not, if possible...

<crosses fingers and toes and hops about excitedly>

Well crap. Didn't get it. Very disappointed, but will have to pick myself up and prepare for another interview on Thursday. Less desirable position in some ways, but any port in a storm! We really need me to get a job soon!

How's everyone else doing? Any interviews upcoming? Any disappointments or successes?

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dang! Sorry to hear that, Eleanor Jane.

Both Mr. Red and I had interviews this week for positions that would really be ideal in terms of location and hours. Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding out a great deal of hope. Nice thing is, both jobs are at or near train stations and we could be to work in 15 minutes (it's nearly an hour each way for me now). Ah well, a girl can dream, can't she?

Good luck to everyone still searching!

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear all,

I'm back on the ship for the first time in a long while.

Was told I was being made redundant first thing on Monday morning this week. There had been a very messy management bust-up in January, leading to the company losing a load of clients. The management was supposed to have told me on Friday but they were too busy apparently [Roll Eyes]

I'm still in a bit of shock, there had been redundancies expected but this was a surprise - they made about a third of the staff redundant.

I'm ok, and trying to be positive. I'm going for coffee with a senior contact of mine tomorrow , and the consensus among most of my now former colleagues is that I'll walk into another job before too long (with the experience and contacts I have) and that they are jealous that I've escaped a worsening situation. However, that doesn't make it any easier to appreciate what has happened.

My thoughts are with all of the others who have found themselves in this situation recently.

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome back Off Centre View.

Sorry to hear about the redundancy [Frown]

My husband was made redundant today too. It's been on the cards for ages, but is still not easy to take.

<tightens belt>

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Dang, redundency sucks! My father in law has been made redundant from the job he's had for around 20 years a *year* before he was due to retire! Bastards! And they made my mother in law (who worked part time as the same place) redundant too!

I've been boning up today for the interview tomorrow. I'm quite anxious as it's kind of my last chance for the mean-time. I can't see any jobs on any of the websites that I'm qualified for/what/are in the right area. I expect there would be again in future, but we're getting to need money now...

(crosses fingers...)

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finally found out why I failed a job process I applied for, one I really wanted too. Totally non-obvious reason. But at least I know and they won't get that one over on me next time.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great attitude, SPK. It's crappy not getting a job you have high hopes for, but it's worse if you don't know why. I'm pretty sure I lost out on a job last fall because they felt I was overqualified, but all the explanation I got was a form letter 3 weeks after the interview. At my latest interview, they actually came out and asked me that question, for which Imade a point to thank them.

Speaking of which, I should hear back today. I've already prepared my "thanks anyway for considering me" speech. Just call me Eeyore.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Ooh, good luck Meg and I hope that you find something else good to apply for, SPK.

I drove 400ish miles back and forward to an interview today. Seemed to go well, so here's hoping there isn't anyone better qualified who will pip me at the post. They did seem to only advertise on a smallish job website, so hopefully that cuts down the competition.

It would be a major commute (I'd be looking after a region about 40 min drive away at the closest point) and I've be working from home most of the time, which wouldn't suit my extroverted self, but otherwise it's a cool job and I'd really like it. It'd be good for my career development.

Kia kaha (stand strong) everyone!

Cheers,
Eleanorjane

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Meg. Good luck. A rejection letter is a plus, IMO, most employers don't have the manners to send one. I consider myself lucky to get an e-mail. I have low standards.

It was a federal Public Service job, one I wanted for many reasons, it was in Montreal (lovely city), the pay was great, it was in my field, I could purchase a ski membership at a local hill in the Eastern Townships and have the money to enjoy winter Saturdays on the slopes. Ah, c'est la vie.

The Public Service of Canada has a (fairly) systematic way of going about hiring, the process of tests and interviews is designed to cover the Statement of Merit Criteria, which is the job ad but also the ruler by which candidates are measured.

I just found a good online French as a Second Language service to take me up to BBB (mid-level) Public Service French. BBB is attached to most jobs that are posted. Ottawa makes an industry out of French lessons for English-speakers, this service extends that to the rest of the country. The lines for BBB jobs are shorter, it's a great screening criteria.

I shall fear no FSL test.

The other thing was an arcane definition that they won't catch me on next time. [Snigger]

The rest is really soft stuff like customer service skills, I worked in a call centre for a year, I have lots of experience there. I've had interview questions with the Public Service where it was plain to me I knew more about cranky customers and how to handle them than the Public Service staffers who were interviewing me did.

I'm the troll who haunts jobs.gc.ca [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

Got the job - will start in a few weeks. I know I should have incuded an exclamation point, but I'm feeling I'm leaving my current position as a bit of a failure. Everyone's been wonderfully supportive, but the job description presented to me on hiring didn't match reality. In a similar situation a few years ago, I forced myself to soldier through something I detested until I mastered it, and then moved on. Now I'm just cutting my losses - sign of advancing age and subsiding patience, I suppose.

I'm sure the new job will be great. So here goes: "Woo!"(and on further reflection) "Hoo!".

Thinking good thought for everyone posting here. And SPK, go kick gc.ca butt!

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Well, I got the job! [Yipee]

I don't start for a good three weeks, so we're scrimping till payday (whenever that might be). And I need to buy a car for the job. It's a bit yikes, but once I'm actually working and being paid all will be well. Anyway, yay! I got a job! [Smile]

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

[Yipee] WOOOO HOOOO!!!!! [Yipee]

--------------------

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Welcome back Off Centre View.

Sorry to hear about the redundancy [Frown]

My husband was made redundant today too. It's been on the cards for ages, but is still not easy to take.

<tightens belt>

Thanks Boogie - my redundancy was a surprise, though there had been some hints that a few of us would be made redundant. I hope your husband is doing ok, it's a pretty rotten time.

I've been following up with some of my own contacts; I got pretty badly burned by my now previous job (massive management bust-up turning a profitable business into a shadow of its former self), so am now not really sure if I want to do a similar role again.

I've already had one possible vaguely-worded job offer (no full details yet, so nothing concrete), and a few other leads, but I now want to take time to reflect and then to make the right next step. Am praying a lot about my situation and seeking God's guidance in a really weird time.

Peace to all other shipmates and their family members going through a similar time.

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today was the closing date for my dream job. I got my application in in good time and now the waiting starts. Provisional interview date (advertised) is the 4th April, so not too long to wait I suppose.
I really need this job!

--------------------
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again"

Posts: 1327 | From: Wessex | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Gosh, that must be difficult, Off Centre View, but at least it sounds like you have some options floating about. Sounds like a good idea to stop and take stock for a bit after such a bruising time.

Good luck Jonathan S! It's hard in the waiting and trying not to get your hopes up bit. Have you got anything else you can apply for so there are other irons in the fire if (God forfend) you don't get this one?

Thanks, Meg the Red. [Smile] We've just got to be really rigorous for a month or so then hopefully I'll get my first pay cheque and joy will come in the morning... And we're moving into a new flat with nothing but a couple of suitcases, so we need everything from a vacuum cleaner to a coffee plunger... Oh well, we'll get there.

Cheers,
EJ

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Hurrah for Eleanor Jane! It's about time someone posted some good news on here!

Meanwhile, the meeting I had with someone yesterday turns out to have been a spectacularly non-formal interview, should hear Monday/Tuesday (this would be a good job to be in), and another interview Wednesday (which would pay better in the short term, and they seem to be in a tearing hurry to recruit which would stand me in good stead). So it's keep researching, and trying not to scream too much...

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Back to the screaming. Another disappointment. What the fuck do I have to do?

AG

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Ooh, that sucks Sandemaniac! Poor you! [Frown]
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

I'm so sorry to hear that, Sandemaniac - I really wish you could catch a break. You really have to wonder WTF personnel managers are thinking. Or if they are.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I often wonder why I can't find an employer as enthusiastic about filling a job as I am. Or why it seems to be criminal to be young, educated and want steady employment?

That's why I've taken French lessons.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Folks -

Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes:

I'm at the start of an (academic) redundancy process - the 90 day consultation period.

In terms of being 'not-amongst-the-biggest-w*nkers_in_the_group' - I won't be amongst the lost. I'm a solid plodder, I get good teaching feedback, and I even bring in some consultancy income (don't mention the R*****ch word).

In terms of being 'solidly-on-message-going-forwards-with-a-commitment-to-novel-pedagogical-methods-and-with-a-market-oriented-approach-to-syll abus-development' - I'm first out the door. Voluntarily, even, possibly - I don't know if I can farm 18 yr olds any longer with a clear conscience, especially since their financial straights are more dire than mine are.

And to the question - how do you pray? I know most here are looking for something new - so in that context, do you hope for (the much hoped-for) sense of peace when the 'right' decision comes along? Do you (as I do) pray a bit, and then stagger around in the dark as usual? Do you play with a pin, opening the bible at random pages and stabbing for a 'word'? [Biased]

(Judas went out and hanged himself.)

(Go then and do likewise.)

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I applied for my dream job at the National Trust. The closing date was a week ago - last Friday. I've not heard, so I've assumed that they don't even want to interview me. This is about the 99th job-related disappointment since the autumn.

This morning AQA wrote to me to tell me - a qualified teacher (or rather ex-teacher) - that I am unqualified to mark their exam papers.

I'm somewhat miserable.

--------------------
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again"

Posts: 1327 | From: Wessex | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Jonathan S - my sympathies! It's damn hard to keep going... look after yourself. Try a beer?(just one).

Mark - I've decided that as long as I'm not doing something immoral, God doesn't actually care what job I do. Some folks think God is ordering every step in their lives from their partner to their jobs, hobbies, cars etc. and it's their job to discerne His will for their job, hobby, car etc.

I think that God's will for my life is very generally about me growing in being able to love Him and love others. Any (not immoral) career path I take will lead in the same direction, (more or less if I'm doing it right) 'cos it's not about whether I'm a project manager or a teacher, it's about my attitudes, habits, actions etc.

So I pray that I get a job 'cos I need one, but I don't have much faith that God is likely to supernaturally intervene to get me a job. For me, I think these last few months have been attempting to be like Paul, learning how to be content with much and content with little.

Thoughts, anyone?

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks EJ. I think I see things rather as you do, as far as paid work goes. I guess vocations are something else, which probably belong on another thread...relevant since preaching (lay, I think - unless God plans to do something new with my arrested pastoral development) being about the only other thing (rather than the lecturing I'm currently employed to do), I can imagine doing. Whilst also finding the idea horrific and unimaginable.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I've finally done it. The current job has been getting to me for a while, and I've just submitted an application for something else, with someone else. No idea if it'll get to interview, but it's a start. Also checking the internal job site, since it's always possible I'll see something worth trying for. [Razz]

Think this household may get even more fraught, with me and Sandemaniac both job-hunting... [Help]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Aye, it could be a bit hairy...

I braced myself for bad news yesterday, rang where I'd last been interviewed (for a job they'd advertised for quite a short length of time, and interviewed very quickly after the closing date...) only to discover that they haven't made a decision yet! It might be a while as one of the panel is away at a conference all week as well. Ho hum - just try to forget it, and find the next thing to get pissed off about.

I'm fine so long as I don't care - the trouble is that I DO care about having a meaningful job. [Frown]

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If they haven't made a decision yet, then you haven't not got it yet.

Best of luck to both you and CK in your hunting. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

True, piglet, but false hope is crueller than disappointment.

AG

[ 04. April 2012, 07:52: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
If they haven't made a decision yet, then you haven't not got it yet.

Best of luck to both you and CK in your hunting. [Smile]

I had an interview with the Public Service of Canada which summoned me to Downtown Ottawa last summer, the building was two blocks from Parliament Hill.

They still haven't called me back or e-mailed me. I'm pretty sure I didn't get it.

I will never, ever get tired of looking at Parliament Hill and the Peace Tower.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Breaking my Lenten fast stay away from here just this once.

Got a job.

Over the flipping moon.

Praise God. Went somewhere totally unexpected.

Totally different field then I was in - website content management and seo, social media, some marketing.

In fact, I can say that the Ship has prepared me for this by showing me how to deal with people who disagree with me. (Even a not so often poster like me learned a LOT from Erin and others)

Been working PT there and will until it starts.

Less pay but doable.

A LOT nicer place.

Lots of opportunity.

Lots of fun. (get to be on the web and surf for information and ideas and get paid for it [Yipee]

Great boss, great co-workers.

Starts in June.

The two year odyssey ends and the journey continues.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

Fantastic news, Og! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016