homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 44)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry, Sandemaniac - I truly didn't mean it to sound like false hope. Still best wishes.

Og - loads of congratulations! [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's so exciting to see some people actually finding jobs - congratulations Meg-the-Red, Og, and Eleanor Jane.

I've done fantastically at procrastinating the whole 'finding job' thing by spending the entire winter out in the Canaries as a volunteer on a ship. Now, I could try to justify this by saying that it's a square-rigger, and that's the sort of job I want so it's experience, and it was, and it was like having a reprogramme and reboot, and I feel like a person again.
So, I need to find a job. One that pays me money. Except I'm about to spend a month doing a transAt from Bermuda to Southampton, again as a volunteer on a different square-rigger. (yay!)
THEN I'll find a job.
Really.
I even have a plan.
(ish)
And a couple of friends have helped bash out a new CV for me.

Oh bugger, what the hell am I going to do?
[Confused] [Help] [Waterworks]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, it's about time we started getting some good news on here! Especially from Og, who is our poster boy.

No need to apologise, piglet, it's just the way it is. I stop hoping once I walk out of the interview. Right now there's nothing on the table again - I'm hoping that the new financial year might bring a few jobs out of the woodowrk, but I doubt it.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:

I've done fantastically at procrastinating the whole 'finding job' thing by spending the entire winter out in the Canaries as a volunteer on a ship.

Except I'm about to spend a month doing a transAt from Bermuda to Southampton, again as a volunteer on a different square-rigger. (yay!)
THEN I'll find a job.
Really.

Oh bugger, what the hell am I going to do?
[Confused] [Help] [Waterworks]

Wow, that sounds amazing! You're very lucky to be able to spend that long doing awesome volunteery things. I'm afraid I don't have the first clue about finding jobs on boats, but good luck!

In other news, I finally got my formal job offer (I was quite nervous about what my old boss would say about me, but it seems to have gone okay) and I finally start work next week. I've been off work, moving countries and killing time since Christmas... it's going to be really good to get into something more active, but also odd and challenging trying to work from home. We'll see how that goes...

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... woodowrk ...

Is that a relative of Wodewick? [Razz]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My long-lost cousin and the black sheep of the family...

...or is that me?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh bugger! Perview psot is my fiend... [Hot and Hormonal]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news - I've been asked to attend 1st interview (so I probably tick all the essential requirements)

Bad news - it's next week whilst I'm away. [Waterworks] They didn't ask for non-available dates, and the indication from the FAQs on the website was that there would be a bit longer between deadline and interview.

Oh well, I'm obviously doing something right! Will ring them tomorrow to see about alternatives...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best of luck, CK. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile] Spoke to a nice helpful HR person, who managed to do a bit of re-arranging to give me an interview the day after I get back. Having finally got online to confirm it, I can now relax and enjoy the rest of my holiday.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Sur-bloody-prise. No word while we were away. On the Friday I rang up, to be greeted with surprise that I hadn't heard anything - but it was the usual jazz, as ever someone else had just the right experience "but you interviewed really, really well". It's like a stuck record...

To add insult, it's a small department and they were using someone else's personnel people... Yes, the same incompetent fuckwits who managed to schedule hour long interviews at 30 minute interviews a few weeks back. This time, I got, within a few minutes of the phone call, an email obviously written in a tearing hurry because there was a gap left for the date ("thank you for attending interview on we apologise for the delay"), it hadn't been spell checked (dodgy spelling, and not just the wrong word), and they still hadn't worked out how to fill in the boxes properly.

Now, form letters I expect, but if I submitted a letter like that with my application it would deservedly go straight in the bin. It really winds me up that people are apparently employed to be so bloody crap! If someone working for me sent out a letter that badly written, I would be very unhappy.

AG
(needing to vent - still!)

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This time, I got, within a few minutes of the phone call, an email obviously written in a tearing hurry. . . . Now, form letters I expect, but if I submitted a letter like that with my application it would deservedly go straight in the bin. . . . If someone working for me sent out a letter that badly written, I would be very unhappy.

You have nothing to lose at this point by writing back and telling them so. I think I'd be tempted to do so. It would make you feel better, and it just might make them think, "Yes, that's right."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I did - I wrote to the head of the interview panel (who I'd already rung), and pointed out amongst other things that if I hadn't known that it wasn't their staff, I would have thought some very bad things about the way they were administered. I figured they'd have more clout than me. The last boss they buggered stuff up for must have been incandescent, because it turned their interviews into a shambles - I can't believe that the manure and the windmill haven't already been in very close proximity.

Someone needs a bloody good kick up the arse.

AG

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I did - I wrote to the head of the interview panel (who I'd already rung), and pointed out amongst other things that if I hadn't known that it wasn't their staff, I would have thought some very bad things about the way they were administered. I figured they'd have more clout than me. The last boss they buggered stuff up for must have been incandescent, because it turned their interviews into a shambles - I can't believe that the manure and the windmill haven't already been in very close proximity.

Someone needs a bloody good kick up the arse.

AG

Good for you.

Competency begets competency. A manager who doesn't appreciate feedback about the public work done by people who do stuff for him/her is a crap manager....a good one will accept it and move forward.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Thanks, Og - been wondering if I've gone too far, especially as they may have other jobs coming up, but given your experience I particularly value your opinion.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Grrr. Grrrr. GRRRRRRRRRRR!

When I phoned up after the last interview, I had strong hints dropped that I would be a really good fit for a position that they were going to be advertising. Well, a position that appeared to be the one they were referring to has just been advertised, but I really couldn't see why they would have poked me towards it - not a very good fit at all. So I rang up and asked.

Turns out they were talking about a post that they haven't even got the grant application in for yet - so even if the application is approved it'll be next year before it's even advertised. For fuck's sake - what do you think I'm doing with my bloody life? [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

...but I've just rang someone up who contacted me about a wildly unsuitable position, and we ended up having a very interesting discussion about LinkedIn, and I got some points in about an application I have in with his company already - that he will be doing the screening for on Monday.

Blimey. Yo-yos have my sympathy!

AG

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...but I've just rang someone up who contacted me about a wildly unsuitable position, and we ended up having a very interesting discussion about LinkedIn...,

I'm wondering what you think of LinkedIn for job search?

I used it but I think I learned more from the stuff I was researching to make me look good on it then the contacts I made.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My experience is that LinkedIn is wildly overrated - like these networking breakfasts with everyone desperate to sell their product/ themselves to everyone else.

The only use I can see for it is for potential employers to look you up and see some recommendations. I don't know how much they do that.

Also as a way of sort of being 'friends' with someone in professional sense without having to be Facebook 'friends'. I like to keep Facebook small and just people that are actually friends so I can be more honest in my posts.

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Og,

I'm not sure myself to be honest - I've only been approached by people recruiting twice in over a year, one in the wrong part of the country and the other utterly not my sort of job. On the other hand, the second one was from a company that could well make use of me, the chap left his telephone number, and we've had a conversation abut what they and I want - so my name is fresh in his mind, and he's screening for something I've applied for on Monday...

Here's the URL of the comment I got from the chap who runs Science magazine's careers forum, which is probably the most-used internet science careers forum (that I've found, anyway).

http://scforum.sciencecareers.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9113#p73878

He's in the USA, so possibly more applicable to you than the UK, but worth thinking about.

I think the problem from my side is knowing which bits they're looking at as recruiters, as opposed to which bits we're looking at building our profiles.

AG

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm currently coving the PPA (teacher's non-contact time) as a temporary teacher. The school is quite challenging and going through a bit of upheaval at the moment. The incoming Head (currently Deputy) asked me if I'd be interested in continuing in post next year, but it is not definite, it all depends on budgets and other teaching appointments.
I'd love to carry on. The teaching is challenging (both in content for me and in the behaviour of the children) and the times fit in brilliantly for my life-style. I won't know for a couple of weeks, but would appreciate prayers.
Thanks

--------------------
Less is more ...

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

Good Luck Kat [Votive] I hope the budgets fall in your favour.

In other news, I got the 'thanks but no thanks' email sent late on Friday. Feedback from them included with the message was that I was weak in one area. I suspect that they had several people with more relevant experience, and that was where I wasn't too sure even when I applied. Oh well, at least they liked me enough to interview, which was something of a boost.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trying to move out of freelancing to a more stable job for a bit, or at least I will be once I don't look way pregnant. And I do figure that if one keeps getting interviews, one is going to get the job with time.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Anyone had the experience of an interview for a post they don't really want? I've a telephone interview coming up for a job that will be mind-numbingly dull, but is in a company that does other thing that are far more up my street, so could be a way in to those.

Do I big up the skills I have that fit the dull job, or play up what really motivates me and gets my juices going and hope that I put down a marker with the HR manager for the next thing that comes up?

Cheers,

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Get your foot in that door! It's entirely reasonable to ask about progression and training to keep up with skills. Mention that there are other roles you could do, but don't overplay them.

It was twelve years ago, but I got a job that way and while it took a few years I got into the job I wanted.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Sioni says. [Smile] The job I just started is certainly not as varied or busy as I'm used to. but it's in a sector that I've wanted to explore for a long time. I don't think I'll get a chance for much movement where I am (I was told obliquely when I was hired that the organization focuses their efforts on developing younger staff. Apparently where female employees are concerned, over 40 = lost cause).

My strategy is to take courses and do volunteer work ot maintian/enhance my skills, then eventually move on.

Plus it looks better to be working when job-hunting.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, it's done, and I will see (in some time - I was warned that it may take 3-4 weeks!) what happens.

Rather startlingly, I posted much the same thread on a careers forum, and got some really quite nasty invective back. WTF?

AG

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Here's the URL of the comment I got from the chap who runs Science magazine's careers forum, which is probably the most-used internet science careers forum (that I've found, anyway).

http://scforum.sciencecareers.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9113#p73878

He's in the USA, so possibly more applicable to you than the UK, but worth thinking about.

I don't think linkedin has a very high profile here at all to be honest. Not in education/science/academic stuff anyway.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I can't disagree with that yet, Ken - nothing has really come from LinkedIn, but I feel have to keep irons in every fire I can. My brain is turning to crud here, and stuff is getting done badly because I don't really care any more.

There is definitely a tendency to use it to colect names - I've been asked to connect by a PhD student here, she's lovely but what the hell can I do to further her career? I'm not even in a science job at the moment...

AG

--------------------

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got a job! (As mentioned on prayer thread).

After another No interview in January I had an interview last week and am starting next week. Youth project for international teens.

Just 10 hours a week and my pay will cover childcare and not a penny more (literally) but it's a start, back in the world of work, an easy introduction hours wise for me and the kids in balancing our home life and work time.

I am so excited to be starting work again. It's been 3 and a half years out of a job and I have missed using my brain.

Good luck to all those still hunting ... I may be back quite soon as it's only a 6 month contract due to funding!

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats on getting a job! Now don't miss out - check your entitlement to tax credits (you can get more for childcare).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. Ironically my earning 4000 tips us over into no tax credits so we lose the 1900 we were going to get this year. And the 90 I will get a week will go on childcare which will cost me 85.50 a week. So I have 4.50 to commute with. Ta da!

Can you tell I am not going back to work for the money [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having recently been made redundant, I'm joining the masses of those job hunting. I'm not too dispirited in these early days and also the opportunity to enjoy the park in the sun (but interviews would be preferable, I'm trying to be optimistic).

But, is it me, has the interview process gone loopy. Having sat a written test (one in five pass), and then two interviews, I had to do Myers-Briggs and two psychometric tests.

I'm a PA. I'm not working at MI5.

And in psychometric tests - is it best to lie? eg. "Are you moody". Is there a right answer?

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the right answer is:

quote:
Only when I have to answer these stupid beep-beep questions!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need to come and wave on this thread. I need a new job from June. The original plan was to leave current job at the end of July and that's what I handed my notice in for - which would have given me time to job hunt when we were quieter in June and July. That's past all the exam and coursework deadlines in May and the beginning of June and the end of year leaving do, which slide show I'm currently avoiding. However, they can't afford me from the end of May, which leaves me with somewhat of a problem.

I also suspect that I won't get any back up about being redundant, because although I would be in any business-like situation, this is a Christian Charity and "we trust in God", don't we? God save me from woolly minded Christians.

Does anyone know what the current temping situation is like in London? I've got lots of admin experience, both in education and elsewhere, some as recent as January, reasonable computer skills, a certain amount of web-design and various useful other sundries. Also reasonable references.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I didn't get the job after personality profile, I'm not upset as although I liked the sound of the company, I didn't like the sound of the role.

CK: Temping in London is something I'm probably heading towards whilst I wait for something really good and permanent to emerge. I get the impression there are less temp roles than there used to be - other admin staff are required to cover for each other, rather than bring in A.N. Other but - that said, your timing is spot on with the holidays coming up. I think I'll start investigating temping this week - depending on the weather forecast!

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Well, I have a second interview (following a 'phone one) for the job I didn't really like the look of, and a different one the day before for another job in a startup company which looks considerably more interesting - and I've just found that someone I know is the person recruiting for a post I've been sitting on an application form for for a while... so it's all go. Goodness only knows what will come out of it all...

AG

--------------------

# 3200

Tomorrow is my last day of retirement.

Start on Monday.

Can't freaking wait.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Tomorrow is my last day of retirement.

Start on Monday.

Can't freaking wait.

[Yipee]

Excited for you Og - enjoy your last day and prayers for a brilliant re-start.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

Yay Og! I applied for a different post here, and I've got an interview [Yipee] . It's not till July, so that gives me time to get worried and remind myself how it all works in that area...

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Nice work, Og - enjoy it!

I've got through the two interviews with sanity currently intact - though the rapacious way I'm demolishing the Knotweed's chocolate stash suggests hidden issues. It's been an entertaining week, with us on half-staff and me buggering off early two days out of three...

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
Having recently been made redundant, I'm joining the masses of those job hunting. I'm not too dispirited in these early days and also the opportunity to enjoy the park in the sun (but interviews would be preferable, I'm trying to be optimistic).

But, is it me, has the interview process gone loopy. Having sat a written test (one in five pass), and then two interviews, I had to do Myers-Briggs and two psychometric tests.

I'm a PA. I'm not working at MI5.

And in psychometric tests - is it best to lie? eg. "Are you moody". Is there a right answer?

No right answers, as the questions have subtle cross-checking built in. That of course applies to proper, profesional and (generally) accurate tests, not the free-to-use tests we get links to hereabouts.

btw, everyone is 'moody'. We aren't robots.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Well, that's another round of CVs sent out to a bunch of ships including these ones.

I doubt anything'll come of it again, but hey, I'm trying.

I've had a lot of fun volunteering aboard these two , and they like me and think I'm good at it, but I can't work on them without the big boat certificate of competence.
I wish I didn't need to earn money [Frown]
Still, off to sea again (volunteer again) tomorrow.

Sorry, this post is probably utterly uninteresting, irrelevant and annoying - I just feel like there's nobody I can say how shitty this not-having-a-job thing feels without them either telling me off or covering me with platitudes.
Sorry.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No need to apologise luvndaisies - you're right it is shitty, and everyone here knows that.

Just wanted to let you all know I'm still thinking of you and cheering you on from the sidelines.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, a job has opened in another department here and I may be able to escape my boss.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mary Beth
Apprentice
# 92

- Posted      Profile for Mary Beth   Email Mary Beth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hardly ever post, but I'd like to add a little encouragement.
I lost my job as a chemist due to our project losing government funding. I did all the right things - got retraining, took "whatever" part time (low wages) jobs, and sent out a gazillion resumes. All gaining me zilch.
So, since January this year, I'm 4 years unemployed (gainfully) and turning 65 in July. All the experts say I'm unemployable.
Well, the Lord had other ideas for me. Through a friend at my previous job, I heard about a good position 10 miles down the road from me. They were under a time constraint to fill the position and I had worked in their lab as an intern when I went back to school. I got hired the next day - with a good salary! I'm now 4 months happily employed.
I know, personally, while you're in the pit, you don't see the Lord working or feel His love and concern. But, please, He loves you as much (maybe more :-) ) than me. I can't say what he'll provide for you, job or otherwise, but I do know He's with you.
Lots of Love,
Mary Beth

--------------------
Give yourself fully to Jesus. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in His love, than in your weakness. Mother Teresa

Posts: 39 | From: Finger Lakes, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just submitted a job application. This is the second one I've done in two weeks! Neither of them are in London, and I'm not really sure that I want to move away from here (and my life!) but the fact I've done the forms anyway is indicative of the fact that my job in local government is sucking the life out of me and I need a different one.

I don't really know what I'm posting to say, I just needed to share the submitting with someone!

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The job I'm currently doing on a temporary contract is now going to become a permanent one, so it has been advertised. I would love to carry on, but have been rejected under similar circumstances before and am not sure I could cope again.
[Help]

--------------------
Less is more ...

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:

I've had a lot of fun volunteering aboard these two , and they like me and think I'm good at it, but I can't work on them without the big boat certificate of competence.
I wish I didn't need to earn money [Frown]
Still, off to sea again (volunteer again) tomorrow.

Sorry, this post is probably utterly uninteresting, irrelevant and annoying - I just feel like there's nobody I can say how shitty this not-having-a-job thing feels without them either telling me off or covering me with platitudes.
Sorry.

Fascinating stuff, but I love boats, especially the few that can legitimately be called ships.

Is this 'big boat certificate of competence' an Equity card for would-be windjammers? Isn't there some way to get one?

Anyone who is up for sailing these is worth a few ticks on an application form. I hope it works for you.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
... Start on Monday. Can't freaking wait. [Yipee]

[Yipee] indeed, Og - congratulations and best of luck! [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
... I may be able to escape my boss.

I do hope so, LC - I've had bosses (thankfully not my present one) from whom escape was the best option . [Smile]

[ 15. June 2012, 01:01: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016