homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms Lilith:
A friend called me today and persuaded me to go to this recritment and training thingmy.

So to bed with me as I've an early train to catch tomorrow.

It is also on on thursday. Bit short notice but thought it was worth a mention.

Good Luck.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got another interview next Tuesday!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I've got another interview next Tuesday!

I hope it goes well.

Hmm, well I have just signed on again and noticed there was a little icon on the computer screen which said "Mr. Papio" under it. The picture displayed a 50-ish guy in a bright red tie and red handkerchief who looked distinctly like a great ape. You know, one of those phrenological recidivist types (so very scientific, obviously, hahahaha), prone to having a criminal record, lacking qualifications and finding anything that requires the use of a brain to be a bit of a challenge, frankly. The picture reeked of those stereotypes.

I expect everyone (or at least most people) have equally unflattering pictures, but even so, it is a bit of a cheek really, as I am probably better educated than the people who sign me on and considering I am still the right side of 30 (let alone 50). Hmmmm. It reminds me of the restaurant I used to work at who were rude about their customers. "Pizza for the morbidly obese guy with the daft haircut on table 1". "Pasta for the pramface on table 3". "Chocolate cake for the guy who looks like a rapist on table 9".

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
UG i just want a job now..... *goes mad*
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
UG i just want a job now..... *goes mad*

(Sings) "All I want for Christmas is me CRB, me CRB, see me CRB" (Sings).

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
still searching for a decent job, though am currently doing some temp work about 15 minutes walk from home, so that's good.

Haven't heard anything from this company I went on an interview to last week, though I did send them a nice email yesterday thanking them for the meeting and asking when I will know their decision. It's infuriating - I just want to know whether they want me or not, and they haven't replied yet, but they'll probably take their sweet time in getting back to me. And they may only get back to me after they've interviewed everyone else, and then let me know which way they are going.

I would appreciate a lot of prayer at the moment. I'm considering returning to university to study for a master's in something like International Studies, and I'm thinking of going back to Sweden and to possibly move out there as a student and then finding a job out there after my studies. I think that would be a good move for me. In that case, I will be happy to spend the year temping (with some time possibly doing some political internships in London) in order to a means to an end (funding my further studies).

On the other hand, if I find the right job, that may greatly change my plans, so I need prayer and guidance.

Thanks folks, and for those in the same boat as me: [Votive]

OCV

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Must not leave application form till last minute ever again.

Must not get distrated reading ship when supposed to be scanning in form

Posts: 266 | From: birmingham | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ive got an interview next wednesday for a lovely job. It would be quite high pressure tho, full time in a high achieving girls school. But such a fab job. Would love it - i think, if im up to it......

im one of 3.... am now sorting out what to wear etc...

In the meantime another days supply tomorrow- with scary boys. ug.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I were a young 'un again at a girls' school -- of course any girls' school I went to would be a high-achieving one -- [Big Grin]

I would want Emma for my teacher.

In the long run-- maybe the very long run -- an international oilfield-related company like mine is going to benefit from the recent disasters, because we'll have to much work coming in setting things right.

In the short term, though, I bet there may be lay-offs (even though we were assured by our national and hemispherical [Biased] leaders that wouldn't happen).

So I think it's time to crank up the rez-oo-may.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't get the job in Talgarth, but it was really interesting to see what's happening with the old mental hospital and, because the bus dropped me off nearly two hours early, I was able to go up to the local nature reserve to have my packed lunch. It's a wonderful little wooded valley with a stream going over waterfalls, and while I was there I managed to plot out a short story for a writing competition, so it was a fruitful day.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
StJerome
Shipmate
# 9276

- Posted      Profile for StJerome   Email StJerome   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I finally have a job (after almost six months) so yay for me!

Prayers for all those still looking [Votive]

--------------------
Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto: Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen

Posts: 264 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

My CRB check has been completed and is currently in the post, allegedly. [Yipee]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! (and fingers crossed)

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

im leaving for my interview with the nice school in an hour....
***nervous***

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Emmma, we're all behind you. Just make sure it's what you want... then go and shine [Smile]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

I GOT IT [Smile] [Smile]
Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! Well done [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee]

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] When do you start? I want to know all about it.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay for Emma- well done!
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Codepoet

Best Bear On Board
# 5964

- Posted      Profile for Codepoet   Email Codepoet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am pleased for you. I tried to give you a call, but I expect that you were too busy doing a victory lap around the town centre [Smile]

--------------------
It's more important to be kind than to be right.

Posts: 1156 | From: Southampton | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

- Posted      Profile for Legodude_uk   Email Legodude_uk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Emma!!!

Do they really know what they've let themselves in for? have the rooms got re-inforced ceilings for the times when you get all [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] ?

--------------------
If a man is standing in a forest speaking but there are no women around to hear him...is he still wrong?

Posts: 2619 | From: The Home of the Saints | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations!!! It's about time that we had some good news on this thread. Hope the job turns out to be everything you want (and more!).
Posts: 544 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news Emma! Well done girl. [Yipee]

I have another interview tomorrow morning by the way.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

***bounce bounce bounce****

Stops for a cup of tea and breathes...

Its a girls grammar school (where i went) and the head of subject there is truly fantastic, hes very on the ball with the subject, and it will be a challenge for me (i have no memory...) to keep on the ball, and a lot of work.... still it will be a challenge [Smile]

**bounces off***

Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Uffff.

Have just been told that I didn't get the job I interviewed for a few weeks ago. They emailed me today, but it feels frustrating as all they've given me was the general "we had lots of great candidates, but you weren't right for the role, even though you were great."

Feels pretty gutting to be honest, they built my hopes up and then dashed them, but I guess that is par for the course though. My sister gave me some good words though - if a company turns you down you probably wouldn't want to work there anyway.

As for now, I think it's a sign to work for a time longer as a temp and then look to take up an internship for a time, earn some money temping and then return to Sweden to take a master's course there next autumn. Pretty much made up to do that now, and then I'll see what happens.

Dum Spiro Spero!

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad Hatter
Shipmate
# 5879

- Posted      Profile for Mad Hatter   Email Mad Hatter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
well done Emma, and to add to the good news I'm now doctored and also got a job - breaks into 'dreams can come true.....' song ;oD

--------------------
www.fsscconference.org.uk - a conference for people whose faith informs their action for social change

Posts: 267 | From: Winchester | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Well done, Emma. [Yipee]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't lose hope, OCV! You'll get there in the end!
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
well I had my interview this morning but it was more like a chat over a cup of coffee than a proper interview - I wasn't asked anything hard, or even asked to provide any evidence for what I'd said about myself in my CV and covering letter, she took it pretty much all at face value! (I mean its a job in an independent library and for instance I'd said in my letter that I was an avid book reader - well I thought the least she would do was to ask me about what books I'd read recently to check I wasn't making it up!!) Anyway, I've just had a phone call to say she wants to interview me again on the 31st. She told me this morning that she was interviewing 14 candidates, and hoped to whittle it down to three for the second interviews - so its pretty hopeful I suppose: just hope she manages to actually find more out about me next time!

Its a lovely job, working in this library that is a charitable foundation, and organising talks and visits for the members. They want someone to do Saturdays and a few hours during the week, with potential for taking on more hours and duties in the future. I don't particularly want to work Saturdays, but since I'm looking for part time work, so often it involves Saturday working.

Also got another one in the pipeline today as a GPs receptionist - once again they want someone to do 10 hours regular plus extra hours as and when to cover holidays sickness etc - I was pretty much interviewed over the phone when I called about this vacancy today (I felt they knew more about me than the woman at the library!) and I'll almost certainly get called for a proper interview I think (I need to send my CV next - the first step for this one was the phone chat, quite a nice way of vetting people I think).

I could probably manage to do both of these jobs should I get offered them both, as the days are different, and both have flexibility. That would suit me very well indeed, but I musn't count my chickens before they hatch!!

--------------------

Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Emma! Sounds like a fantastic job. [Yipee]

I'm about to start a three month sabbatical for health reasons. I was bullied in my previous job over a period of 2 1/2 years. I got out eventually - a new job and a new town, and I thought all my problems were behind me, but it's come back to bite me I'm afraid. I've been deteriorating over the last 6 months. I'm unable to trust any of my colleagues and have panic reactions before meetings, despite the fact that I'm in a much better working environment.

My boss has been good enough to suggest this extended leave, as the doctor is happy to sign me off sick with depression (I'm on the waiting list for a counsellor too). I'm now wondering if I should change professions. I love what I do, but my confidence is just shot to pieces. Praying for guidance.

[Votive] for folks without work, waiting and hoping.

[ 20. October 2005, 14:38: Message edited by: Mad Cat ]

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Emma

And Gracious Rebel, second interview is good.

Sympathies, Mad Cat. I wouldn't go so far as to say I was bullied in my last job but my confidence was badly affected by some people's less than professional behaviour and I can appreciate that that can't be easy.

I have an interview!!! For a job I'd be really good at and that I think I would really enjoy. It is in a city that's quite far away from any of my friends but the job would be really interesting. I think I'm in with a good chance if they want someone like me, it's a job they might easily be looking to give someone older, or more academic, or ordained, or bearded. But I shall see. The interview sounds horrific tho, meeting this, a tour of that, meeting some other people, presenting about something else, and then an interview. Expect to be there the whole day. I suppose they have to be thorough but I'll be a nervous wreck by the end.

[ 20. October 2005, 23:47: Message edited by: Ms Lilith ]

Posts: 266 | From: birmingham | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Ms Lilith:
I have an interview!!! For a job I'd be really good at and that I think I would really enjoy. It is in a city that's quite far away from any of my friends but the job would be really interesting. I think I'm in with a good chance if they want someone like me, it's a job they might easily be looking to give someone older, or more academic, or ordained, or bearded. But I shall see. The interview sounds horrific tho, meeting this, a tour of that, meeting some other people, presenting about something else, and then an interview. Expect to be there the whole day. I suppose they have to be through but I'll be a nervous wreck by the end.

Well, let me know what happens. [Biased]

When is the interview?

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone here have any experience of submitting their CVs to online job sites such as TotalJobs? I'm seriously thinking about posting my CV but am a bit nervous about security. Also, I wonder about the effectiveness of such sites - do employers actually bother searching the site for suitable CVs or do they just sit back and wait for people to apply?
Posts: 544 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
rajm
Shipmate
# 5434

- Posted      Profile for rajm   Author's homepage   Email rajm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosus:
Does anyone here have any experience of submitting their CVs to online job sites such as TotalJobs? I'm seriously thinking about posting my CV but am a bit nervous about security. Also, I wonder about the effectiveness of such sites - do employers actually bother searching the site for suitable CVs or do they just sit back and wait for people to apply?

I've submitted my cv to a few of the computing biased job sites (e.g cwjobs.co.uk) - that's mainly been as a side effect of applying for a job advertised by an agency. I've had a few agencies contact me but - alas - no real employers.

R

Posts: 131 | From: Cheshire | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Bother! Just heard that the shop manager job I went for no longer exists, as the original manager has decided not to leave after all!

--------------------

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bumping this up for a whinge.

I've been looking for jobs for around three months now and so far I've had two interviews and I have not been sucessful in getting either although the second interview went really well thanks to some advice by a shippie by PM [Overused] .

It appears that I'm over qualified and underexperienced as I've been at home looking after the kids for a fair few years. The huge amounts of voluntary work that I have engaged in does not appear to count in today's market [brick wall] .

So I've lowered my sights and tried applying for admin type jobs but this is even worse as I don't even get an acknowledgement of my application form, let alone an interview. Thank heavens for online application forms and the gift to job hunters which is cut and paste so I haven't had to reinvent the wheel each time I apply for a 10 hour a week temporary job.

Friends have suggested that I try the graduate route into teaching which would at least use my degree although I'm not sure if I can manage the stress but it is worth a go. I'm off to the local university's open day next week to find out what the graduate trainee route is all about. The strangest thing is that they ask about learning support assistant experience on the application form but I can't get an LSA post becasue I'm over qualified [brick wall] so round we go again.

So it looks as if I'm going to have to try and blag some work experience in a local school, try and find my O level certificates to prove that I got decent grades nearly 20 years ago and be left in limbo about whether I've been accepted on the course until late spring.

Has anyone else gone on this route into teaching?

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

I have a busy week ahead - interviews on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday! Monday's is the second interview for the independent library job where I wasn't really questioned properly before - lets hope this time they have a bit more idea, so will be able to make an informed judgement about my suitability! Other two are for medical receptionist jobs, one in a GP's practice and one at a private osteopath place.

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

I have, in my hand, arrived today, at this very moment, written confirmation/proof that I do not have a criminal record. I have never been cautioned, or bound over, or accused/suspected of being a peodophile or a rapist or an axe-muderer. There is, and I now have the proof, no reason to suspect that I am unsuited for working with vunerable people. None at all.

Well done CRB. That has only taken you since the 23rd of June. I do hope your proud of the accomplishment.

One can only hope that is not now too late and that I shall be allowed to start my 6-month trial for the Mental Health Charity.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Will let you know what happens in that regard.

Papio.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, I'm just signing on as Looking For Work - though kinda not too hard. We moved to France (sorry, I'm so pleased about that I keep mentioning it wherever possible) and I am looking for TEFL work. I have been interviewed/chatted to by someone who thinks he may have work for me in the future, but he has made promises to two other people before me. He has given me another contact, but for some reason (laziness?) I have put off phoning her. These have been/will be in English.

I could also approach the 4 local schools. That, however, would be in French and I am feeling not confident enough for that yet. Although Mr D unhelpfully sighs and says "Yes but that's just you; when WILL you feel confident?" I could also put up a notice saying Private Lessons, somewhere, but I wonder whether "English Lessons" has the same connotations in France as "French lessons" does in England... [Biased] Somehow I doubt it. Excuses, excuses....

In a way, I'm happy being a lady of leisure, surfing the Ship and making handmade cards. But I feel I ought to contribute to the Maison Des Etoiles financial pot somehow. Otherwise we could be uncomfortable when Mr D leaves London next June...

Motivate me, someone, please. [Help]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Poppy I seriously dont recomend teaching as a "something to do" or anything compared to a 10- hour a week admin job!!!! I think with the teaching world as it is youd need to be pretty convinced you want to do it, rather than going in as a last resort.

If its something you want to do, then you will certainly need to have had recent experience in a school before applying. A weeks observing in a local school perhaps. Its also a worthwhiole thing to do to get a feel for schooling these days, chatting to teachers etc who will give you a better view of the job than the lovely govt adverts!!!

As for ways in - there are a number of different routes into teaching, each one now carrying a bursary - have a look at the various teacher training recruitment sites for adetails, theyre user friendly and explain the different options. Theyre also very pro "change of career" type entrants, but you will need to prove youve had recent experience in school and can work at a graduate level (i dont know you so am saying generally - not trying to assume or insult you!)
Anyway - the teaching sites are good [Smile]

Good luck - and Pm me if youre stuck!!

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I may be so bold, Dormouse...

Do the scary things, practise the French, go and risk making a fool of yourself by advertising your services. A friend of mine was a teaching assistante in a French secondary school and got numerous jobs. Getting some sort of work will help you meet people, practise your language skills and make you feel more a member of the community...

ETA having read Emma's post: most people I know as TEFL teachers have few qualifications apart from their TEFL certificate. Even these aren't needed to be a French assistante, I think, and you may well get a few hours a week which will be all you need to start getting your confidence up!

[ 02. November 2005, 13:50: Message edited by: ferijen ]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Just applied for a museum job, partly admin and partly 'Front of House', being hands-on with the public.
It's only part time, but it really is the sort of thing that's got me jumping up and down with my hand in the air going "Pick me! Pick me!"

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Ferijen. I know I do just need to "do it" but I am world expert at procrastination!
I do have 18 years Primary teaching experience behind me as well, which kind of sets me up quite well in the ecole maternelle & college in the town. Although English teaching qualifications aren't necessarily much use in France... [Biased]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

go for it doormouse!!!!

the qualification as such might not be, but the 18 years experience will count!!!! [Smile] [Smile]

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dormouse, I've a friend in France who goes round companies teaching English to French executives. Not sure if she has a TEFL qualification or not. She has lived in France for over 20 years now, I grant you - and her French is pretty good, but I don't think that matters too much. If you like I can contact her to ask how she started off. I think she found work initially via a language school. She's only been doing it a few years - as a progression from teaching at a private Anglo/French maternelle. From what I can gather, she finds the adult teaching more time-consuming but infinitely less stressful; the executive being somewhat more motivated and co-operative than your average 4 year old!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Progress report:

I spoke to the charity this afternoon and, yes, there is a job for me - provided that the blokes I would be working for give me the thumbs up. It is possible, though unlikely, that they will not.

I am meeting blokes either tomorrow or Friday.

If that goes ok, I start work this coming Monday.

I'm not sure whether this would effect my presence at the Brum meet or not.

Feeling [Yipee] and [Help] at the same time. Does that make any sense?

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I hope it all goes well for you, Papio.

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just applied again for a library job. I really need to get out of the kitchen. I'm so tired and stressed by the end of the day. So, here's hoping my letter of intent has fulfilled requirements, and I get a call for an interview. I have applied for 3 other jobs there, 2 of them at the library and just gotten a nice "thank you for applying...yada, yada, yada." A couple of weeks ago I drove up there, went in and introduced myself to the HR receptionist, the secretary at the library and at least got a notice from the librarian that it was becoming available, and it posted yesterday, so I drove up tonight after work and handed in a nice new application, letter of intent, and resume. It said they want someone to start asap so I volunteered to start weekends while I give at least a one week notice (though they often move people on a day's notice). I sat outside the library and prayed there for about 10 minutes before I left. Please pray!
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I hope it all goes well for you, Papio.

Thank you. [Big Grin]

My last final whatsit is now on Monday afternoon.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016