homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Decluttering support (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Decluttering support
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thought for the day… like the manna in the desert, yesterday's blessing breeds worms and stinks.

When I was broke™ the Lord definitely providentially kept me in clothes - my best friend works in fashion, she used to get a lot of clothes for free and give them to me, other girlfriends would also arrive saying "hey I bought this but I've changed my mind and decided I'm not going to wear it - do you want it?", I would pick up amazing good quality items in the second hand shop for €5 or less… but at this stage in the day I have Too Many Clothes and my wardrobe is breeding worms and stinking. I don't wear half the stuff because apart from anything else I can't see what's in there, there's so much of it.

This weekend I am going to force myself to have a clear-out. I'll give you a progress update later. [Smile]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did it [Yipee]

I cleared out my wormy stinking cupboard!.. and found a lot of stuff I didn't even remember I had. One LARGE bag of stuff has gone in the bin (worn-out) and another enormous one to give away. As Providence would have, a notice has appeared in the hallway of my building from a charity that is coming round later in the week for a clothing collection, asking for donations to be left downstairs. So I don't even have to take the stuff anywhere. [Smile]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

I did it [Yipee]

Woo hoo!

Well, I've made a start - the utility room
does have a floor after all :0)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am just having a break from finally sorting out the study. We moved here in November, I managed to get my books out and put them on the shelves quite early on, but what with sorting everything else out it became a bit of a dumping ground and I've never been able to use it as a study - trying to get to the books at the opposite side of the room from the door became somewhat like trying to climb the Matterhorn. Today though I am starting - slowly - to tackle it. Initially to be honest it is going to be more of a redistribution than a declutter, but amongst other things that will involve putting the desk together now that there is floor to put it on (and now that we've found all the various bits of desk, always useful!), so it will feel really refreshing. Plus I can start planning under-desk storage [Big Grin]

I must confess that a lot of stuff is initially going in the cupboard and the door shut on it, but it is going in there in an orderly fashion (ie all the stationery* together, all the photo albums together etc) and I plan to spend half an hour a day sorting through bits of it. If I try to do it all in one go then I just get daunted and shut the door on it again, so I'm hoping this way will be a bit less scary.

*And* I found the Christmas tree (which we'd lost before we even moved) [Big Grin]

Time for a cup of tea first though.

*Note to self: No need to buy stationery, ever ever again.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great work La Vie en Rouge and Jack the Lass! You definitely deserve a cup of tea each (or tipple of your choice). [Smile]
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I managed to sort out my tea collection yesterday. This took a surprisingly long time, as I really struggle to throw things away, even if it is tea I don't like and will never drink. I put it on my parents' compost heap which helped a little. Need to learn to let go and stop hoarding of feeling guilty for decluttering.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am making some progress, in small spurts. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a big breakthrough yesterday with the decluttering. I sorted out my yarn and fabric stashes.

No longer do I have a series of giant vacuum bags of the stuff, instead I have fewer plastic boxes of yarn-the rest is going to charity, to my mum, or to the fabric recycling bank.

And I sorted the fabric by type and put each piece in one of those zippy top freezer bags-should make it easier to rifle through as well as preventing dust. I even have a list of what is in which box.

[Yipee]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, dear decluttering friends. [Smile] Just thought I'd update that the family wedding is now days away and the house is as cluttered as it ever was, so I've just had to come to terms with that. [Roll Eyes] I'm still determined that I will have a decluttered house one day, but that day is further away than I thought. [Roll Eyes] We had someone in to clean the bathroom professionally yesterday so it looks great for everyone using it at the weekend. [Smile] I picked up a few good cleaning tips as well. [Biased]

Boogie! You recommended a book which you'd found particularly helpful for adults diagnosed with ADHD. I thought it was on this thread but I can't find it. Could you remind me what it was? I'm talking to someone on another forum about it. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
[Smile] I picked up a few good cleaning tips as well. [Biased]

Please share!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Boogie! You recommended a book which you'd found particularly helpful for adults diagnosed with ADHD. I thought it was on this thread but I can't find it. Could you remind me what it was? I'm talking to someone on another forum about it. [Smile]

Here it is Nenya He has a great attitude to ADD - and lots of tips on how to deal with it/make the most of it.

I dip back into it often.

(One of his chapters is about the war on piles - I'm constantly in that battle!)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piles are indeed painful...

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Piles are indeed painful...

[Hot and Hormonal] I've never suffered from the medical sort .... [Hot and Hormonal]

The ones which invade every surface in the house, including the floor - yes indeed!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
[Smile] I picked up a few good cleaning tips as well. [Biased]

Please share!
Ok. [Smile] In no particular order and sorry if I use some product names which you can't get outside the UK:

Use Viakal (limescale treatment) for limescale on taps and tiles

Use clear antibacterial cleaner for towel rails

Use Windowlene (window and mirror cleaner) liberally to make things shine - tiles and chrome as well as glass

Use paper kitchen roll to dry everything properly - any cloth leaves marks

Use caustic soda for drains and toilets

Don't mix products

Don't use kitchen cleaner in bathrooms (it can destroy some of the surfaces)

Use cheap sponge pads with a slightly abrasive surface for scrubbing

Thanks, Boogie, for the book link. I've passed that on. I now remember the previous discussion about the war on piles and can only say that both sorts can be most trying. [Biased]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I took about two weeks worth of recycling out to the bin tonight and am getting rid of the old newspapers tomorrow. Zeke replaced the Hoover last week and will try the new machine out this weekend.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My house is packed, prior to vacation, prior to moving...
Much stuff to my church's charity shop.
Much stuff to friends.
Much useless stuff to the rubbish tip in town.
Feeling proud about all this decluttering... And I guess there may be more when I unpack.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done, Rowen.

quote:
I even have a list of what is in which box.
Hey, I found my list, which was lost! Verily, there was much rejoicing.

Especially, since it pertains to a massive hoard of car and motorbike spares which are squished into the 2 foot space under the ground floor of the house (no proper cellar [Frown] ).

One day I'd like to move house. I think perhaps it might be best to weigh this one in...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

I am moving tomorrow -everything is in boxes! Like Rowen, i expect to do more clearing out on unpacking, but am feeling proud of having done a lot already. Now to move 300miles, unpack and make the house usable ready to start new job on Tuesday!

--------------------
Was "mummyfrances".

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
I am moving tomorrow -everything is in boxes! Like Rowen, i expect to do more clearing out on unpacking, but am feeling proud of having done a lot already. Now to move 300miles, unpack and make the house usable ready to start new job on Tuesday!

Well done and hope all goes well!! I haven't moved home for 25 years but I still well remember the decluttering on arrival. This was not of my own doing but my sister-in-law when perusing the clothes that I had just packed without thinking saying such things as, 'Why on earth are you keeping this? It might fit you but it makes you look ancient!'
I think another clear-out with her help might be in order.
Actually having said that, one of the jackets of which I was particularly proud but which was thrown out had the look of recent high fashion in my opinion. [Confused]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
Well done and hope all goes well!! I haven't moved home for 25 years but I still well remember the decluttering on arrival. This was not of my own doing but my sister-in-law when perusing the clothes that I had just packed without thinking saying such things as, 'Why on earth are you keeping this? It might fit you but it makes you look ancient!'
I think another clear-out with her help might be in order.
Actually having said that, one of the jackets of which I was particularly proud but which was thrown out had the look of recent high fashion in my opinion. [Confused]

Yes, but 'having the look of' just doesn't work unless you're actually young enough to have not worn it the first time! I'm old enough to have worn the currently trendy 80's/90's stuff the first time, so I'm treating the retro looks with great caution. I wouldn't wear an original 80/90's piece (but 20 year old Uni students can do so with amplomb!). I will wear things tinged with a 80s retro feel, but not head to toe and not too obviously. 90s retro does my head in...

Retro from before my time i.e. 1940/1950's is just fine. I don't like most of the 1960s/1970s style things so I avoid.

Anyhoo, have fun with your sort out! [Smile]

Cheers,
Eleanorjane

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
90's is retro now?
We don't take much notice of high fashion where I live - I wear pretty much what I like, and I have my own style (such as it is). I'm looking forward to summer - I've got a 'new' dress which was originally a Victorian nightgown!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My problem with decluttering is that even when I do it I still can't find anything! Mind you if I did my filing occasionally it might help.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pretty much all my stuff is now in boxes, piled up in one room so workmen can get at the rest of the house. I did do some getting-rid as I boxed, but not nearly enough.

What I wish I'd bothered to do is sort things more and box categorically. Some are fine and labelled. Many are from when i moved at New Year and packed in a hurry and haven't properly unpacked before repacking: this means many are labelled helpful things like "random" and "stuff". One is labelled "random bits etc." which could mean anything...

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Been drowning a bit, after a sudden influx of clutter from what was once the family home. Fortunately, as part of the last batch, my younger daughter endowed with me with her old lever arch files, so I've at least got all my academic paperwork in order, and in files that not only fit but will also stand up straight in a bookcase.

Pretty much everything else is sorted into boxes and one batch has already gone to two charity shops. I feel a bit more on top of things, but sometimes I wonder if it will ever be straight.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have done a mammoth clothes decluttering. Mountains of stuff which doesn’t fit, doesn’t suit, very dated style etc. It was all a bit scary and emotional. I now have a few outfits which are suitable. And some which aren't but I will have to keep until I can get some more clothes. I am going shopping soon for a capsule wardrobe.

Basically I decided I had spent too long in horrible clothes because I was waiting to lose weight and get back into my thin clothes and make/buy some decent stuff.

I have decided to dress for what I am now and worry about what to wear when I lose weight if I ever lose it.

So I went to a Colour Me Beautiful style consultant. I have had very good results from this firm in the past.

I thought my colours were sorted, I just needed a style and fashion update. But it turns out that as my hair is now grey and the ageing process has altered my skin tone I am now in a completely different range of colours. No wonder I felt like crap all the time. Wrong colours, wrong styles, wrong everything.

I was surprised how emotional I felt during the consultation. There is a sort of grief for the loss of the old me, but I also felt very excited at the prospect of liberating the real me and expressing her in her clothes and colours. Especially as now I am retired I don’t have to fit anyone’s expectation of how I ought to look. Some of the clothes I love but rarely wear because I thought they weren’t me turned out to be just the thing which made me very happy.

I have a large collection of fabrics in my old colours. I was waiting to lose weight before I made them up………I am trying to sell these. But I don’t really know what to do with them. The good clothes went to a charity shop. Do people make their own clothes any more? Can I sell them on ebay? Is there a market? I have never done this. It seems like a huge amount of effort and stress for probably not much reward. The money is gone, I doubt if I can recover it. Maybe a car boot sale would be a good idea.

It has taught me a lesson. No more accumulating a pattern and fabric stash. Only buy what I will use and no more till it is used.

I have carted some of these clothes and fabrics and patterns through a house move and stored them for over 20 years. I even got extra wardrobes to store them in. I think I was quite batty.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

So I've reached the point that wherever I look there is a pile, a drawer, a cupboard that needs sorting. How do you decide where to start? [Ultra confused] [Frown] [Help]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
So I've reached the point that wherever I look there is a pile, a drawer, a cupboard that needs sorting. How do you decide where to start? [Ultra confused] [Frown] [Help]

One corner of your most used room.

[Smile]

Now I MUST get off the computer and do some tidying - visitors today!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a big tidy for the quarterly flat inspection at the end of last week so I returned from a weekend away to a lovely tidy house. I must remember that feeling!

We now have about 5 weeks to pack up and move out (initially to house-sit for some friends, then who knows where) so it's time for boxing up and purging and evaluating my belongings again. I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better, but hopefully the longer-term benefits will be worth the effort.

I have started by coming up with a small wardrobe of clothes to be used over the summer and packing them away in a suitcase. Hopefully this will mean that I am excited to wear them again when I arrive at my next port of call. Everything else in my wardrobe then needs to justify its existence to be packed up or will be going to charity. I may even be able to dismantle one of my wardrobes fairly soon to make way for all the boxes!

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

One corner of your most used room.

[Smile]

Thank you. I'll do it.

I've also been re-reading this thread to inspire myself, and have downloaded a couple of the book recommendations to my Kindle. [Smile]

Still feeling overwhelmed... but not so quite alone in it. Thank you, Boogie. Enjoy your visitors. [Smile]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Boogie said.

Also, start by throwing out obvious rubbish and things you feel able to discard. Give yourself amnesty from recycling, donating, selling, whatever, at this stage. The only objective is to get stuff out of the house.

Don't get distracted by indecision. Anything you can't decide to throw away store somewhere. You can make final decisions later.

Everytime you move from room to room take something with you and put it in the room/place it belongs.

Good luck.

[ 07. May 2012, 11:32: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got rid of the kids for a day and spent it clearing. 30 bags to the charity shops. Emptied a few boxes that got filled while I was ill and unable to do much. Found missing chequebooks. Feels very good!

The thing that has made a massive difference to me has been to stop thinking about selling things or finding the perfect recipient and concentrate on getting things out of the house. That means sending pretty much everything to the charity shops. I could make money from some of this stuff, but I'll manage without the extra cash for the sake of clearing the house before the move.

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I've done quite well today, have pretty much cleared my breakfast bar (a place which attracts clutter) and sorted quite a way through one of the many piles of paperwork. Paperwork's the worst thing. I don't have that many clothes and the few ornaments we have are non-negotiables. But the paper... the magazines... the letters... cards I want to keep from people I care about... the Sunday newspapers that are cherished by Mr Nen until they become history... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I need to keep this up, though. I've had blitzes on it all before, only to stop after a few days and leave it for weeks before I do any more. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Yes, the huge cleaning effort followed by the crash and burn syndrome. That was my life for a long time.

Regarding the papers, I had several areas of 'piles' of paper. Especially the dining room table.

Two or three years ago I finally got it cracked and the table has been clear ever since. Such a joy. Sometimes piles start growing again elsewhere but they don't get out of hand anymore.

My primary mission is keeping the cleared surfaces clear.

Try this: Always throw away junk mail as soon as it arrives, straight in the bin.

Have a small number of boxes of appropriate sizes for magazines, newspapers, cards from friends, and one for stuff that needs action, replies, bills paying and so on.

As soon as the mail or paper arrives in the house put it in one of these boxes or deal with it and file or dispose as required.

Concentrate on keeping current each day so it stops accumulating.

Deal with the backlog a bit at a time, just what you can each day without going into crash and burn. Maybe put the whole lot in its own box for sorting at leisure.

One suggestion for Mr N's newspapers. Put them in their own box. Tell him what you are doing and where it is. Leave him to it. When the box is full tell him and ask him what he wants done with the surplus.

Don't let him put stuff on the cleared surfaces. Put it in a box. Tell him where it is.

The husbands often start spontaneously decluttering their stuff once we get a system going and the pile system has gone.

I know it sounds like a lot of boxes but they don't need to be large, as the idea is to empty them regularly, and they can stack neatly away. Meanwhile you will have lovely clear surfaces.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got rid of lots of stuff over the weekend!

[Yipee]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sent a couple of big bags of clothes to the charity shop a couple of weeks ago and have managed to pack up four boxes for the impending move. I think I will miss some of the clothes, but I have so many that I have kept that they really aren't worth worrying about.

I have also planned and half-packed a suitcase of clothes to get me through the summer (so hopefully by the time I start wearing them I will have missed them a bit) and started to arrange storage for the unimaginable quantities of stuff I own - tonight is earmarked for packing up warmer clothes and possibly venturing forth to survey the boxes under the bed!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had loads of stuff in boxes in the cellar of some friends' house in Manchester and I sorted it down to about half a suitcase to bring with me and 2 boxes at 2 cubic feet each of stuff that is being shipped - books, photos and photoslides. Loads of stuff to charity shops or the dump that I will never want again - if I haven't missed it in the 6 years since my dad died I doubt I'll miss it now!

eta: and the clothes appear to have shrunk rather markedly - it must be a very damp cellar!

[ 22. May 2012, 11:15: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Making progress. [Smile]

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Flatmate and I spent some of the past Saturday afternoon dismantling a pine-and-canvas wardrobe, taking it to a friend's house, reconstructing it (in a slightly different order) and filling it with our winter coats, ballgowns and party frocks. We lost count when we were at 10 frocks each, but justify this by considering ourselves the stewards of a sort of dress library for exchange students.

I spent the rest of the weekend enjoying the sunshine so yesterday's catch-up packing effort of filling a suitcase with clothes and framed photographs was a bit meagre. Hopefully I'll manage to keep going this week and make some use of my Jubilee bank holidays to put more of a dent in things.

The countdown starts now - I only have 3 weekends left until the move. The last I'd like to use for moving the big stuff (possibly with a van or friend's trailer) and getting the deep cleaning moving, the middle I'm away so next weekend is when things really have to get packed up. Plan is to try and keep the momentum going by packing at least a small box each evening. If I get really brave (and am home from work early enough) tonight I might disassemble the other wardrobe in my bedroom to make some space to stack boxes and things.

Wishing fortitude on everyone decluttering to move, it always leads to me feeling unsettled and irritable.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hay Festival is coming up, and my neighbour always does a table sale outside her house on the first Saturday. Over the last few years, she's encouraged the lady across the road to join her, and this year it's going to be her, the lady across the road, me and our new neighbours next door to me.
It's surprising what I've squirrelled away that could possibly be converted into cash.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone join this thread? I've managed to find a local cleaning company who will call every week. First, they are going to do a major clean on Thursday am. We've been tidying up prior to the clean - so far, there have been three trips to the local dump, and a vast number of half used cough medicine bottles and such like in the recycling. The amount of clutter is gradually going down.
We've then got to get to grips with our spare bedroom, as we have visitors in July.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Got home a bit late. Did fill a box with books though, so I don't feel the evening was truly wasted.

Next step is, I think, to get some furniture out of the way to make space for all the boxes. And to be truly ruthless about what I decide to keep. Now I have a Kindle I'm trying to be better about not holding on to books I 'might' read again, but my skinflint nature resents paying £3-5 pounds for a book I already own and may have only paid 50p or £1 for. For now I'm bringing those ones into work and giving them a chance to sell before I donate them. Hopefully this means that when I do decide to donate them they will have become an annoyance in the office rather than an option for leisure time at home.

If I can sneak some time in I may also try to consolidate some of my fabric stash by cutting the pieces for a Jeans-and-T-shirts quilt I have been collecting bits and pieces for but it's hard to know whether taking the time now will be worth the effort for less packing hassle.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Can anyone join this thread? I've managed to find a local cleaning company who will call every week. First, they are going to do a major clean on Thursday am. We've been tidying up prior to the clean - so far, there have been three trips to the local dump, and a vast number of half used cough medicine bottles and such like in the recycling. The amount of clutter is gradually going down.
We've then got to get to grips with our spare bedroom, as we have visitors in July.

Of course!!

And many welcomes! Good luck with your preparations for visitors.

My husband goes away for ten weeks soon, so some
serious decluttering will ensue. I have warned him that most of the stuff of his Mum's he's been hoarding will go - he was cool about it.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did a major clearout of sheets etc no longer used.

Took them to the Noah enterprise.

Feels good.

[ 02. June 2012, 13:10: Message edited by: shamwari ]

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

We did our table sale yesterday. I made a grand total of £2, and I spent it all on drink!
But I did make a neighbour's cat happy (the neighbour bought a mat for her to lie on in the window) and a teenage boy went away clutching the video of The Invasion of Time (Doctor Who) - I've upgraded my copy.

--------------------

Mrs Wogan
Shipmate
# 11103

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Wogan   Email Mrs Wogan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done everyone! I have a deep clean booked for Saturday with carpet shampooer and window-cleaner (inside and out). I've already put it off from this weekend). I have been trying to clear out papers and old magazines- I was shocked by the number of trips I had to make. It seems I need to re-instate my 'one in, one out' policy- wish me luck!

--------------------
"I'm of a generation who would always wear a hat for lunch"

Posts: 58 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Taking a couple of small items of furniture to a friend's garage for the duration tonight. I've really not got long before the move and it's beginning to loom over me.

Does anyone else get unsettled and anxious when moving house?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Not decluttering per se but this morning I have taken a load of warmer clothes off my clothes rack and packed them away in a suitcase so there is more room on the rack - I have been meaning to do it for A LONG TIME - it took about 10 minutes!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Plugging away, a bit at a time.

And welcome to newbies on the thread! [Smile]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... so there is more room on the rack ...

[Roll Eyes]

Buying more shirts are we?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trying to declutter a cupboard a day and pack a box a day. I have 10 weeks til the move but I'm already feeling rubbish about it. Which is silly because it's a really positive move, but I really hate moving house.

Decluttering is good, but also hard. Does anyone else feel guilty throwing out things they were given as gifts - no matter how long ago it was?

We've also decided to give stuff away rather than selling it, sending it to charity shops if friends don't fancy it. Given the volume of stuff I am beginning to think this is nuts but at the same time people have been so generous to us so it would feel wrong to sell things to people who are worse off than us (and no one with more money would want our cast-offs they were all so cheap). Also I think the hassle of selling things would be more stress than its worth. Do you guys throw stuff, sell it or donate it?

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016