homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Decluttering support (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Decluttering support
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
what amounted to a very small wall of unused blocks....gone!

a dozen bricks....gone!

assorted wood....gone!

assorted guttering offcuts....gone!

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<envy envy envy> [Smile]

I have seized the day. Or several portions of several days. Whatever. [Big Grin]

My little half-bath is really really small. If I stand in the middle of it I can almost touch all four walls, it's that small. So, I decided to attack it, trying to kill off all the problems I need to kill, in the house as a whole, in at least that one room. I figured it would make me feel more motivated.

The house is pretty much all-original, built around 1970 by a developer who laced the subdivision with his three or four slightly varied floor plans. There was one roof replacement done about halfway through its life, a few changes in appliances, and that's it. Poor house is a true cosmetic mess.

It would not pay to do anything costly or delicate inside until the roof is replaced. We've been very lucky with leaks so far (none at all for many years past the roof's prime, and none unmanaged for now, but we're in the 2012 hurricane season again, so that could change at any time). I could just see spending several thousand dollars on nice kitchen cabinets or other important decor, only to have it ruined by a new leak, so nothing gets done, it's all depending upon the stupid roof.

It gets so everything depends on the roof. Is the concrete floor -- stripped of tile and nasty 1970's carpeting years ago -- looking depressing? Can't do a thing about it, think of the roof. Are the walls a problem? The dingy, spotted, dented and sometimes altogether cut-out bits of sheetrock, do they depress me? Can't do much about it, wait for the roof.

Well, unless I save up several thousand dollars and hire a surprise band of wandering roofers behind the FG's back, it ain't gonna happen tomorrow. In fact, he's taking a little mini-retirement off work for a few months right now, and one thing he hopes to accomplish is that roof. But, for now, what do I do?

Tackle it room-by-room, I guess, starting with the smallest and easiest-controlled. (In other words, which rooms can I successfully hog all for myself for a while?)

I stripped every movable thing out of the half-bath. I stainblocked the ceiling and walls; scrubbed up the cheap white porcelain of the simple toilet and pedestal lavatory; whited-out the 1970's metal medicine cabinet (long ago missing its mirrored sliding doors) and placed a mirror in it; and I've rounded up some little decorative shelves to hold the few limited toiletries & makeup I require in there.

I removed the warped old luan door with its shredding finish, and hung up a pretty shower curtain instead. We're three adults in the house; only the dog is likely to barge in without a tap on the wall to see who might be in there. I don't miss the door at all.

FG immediately asked why I did that -- I cited improved air circulation & cooler temps in there -- and he said a louvered door would take care of that. I'll expect that immediately after my new roof, honey. [Razz] For now, it's curtains.

I have to say that one little room has brightened up my attitude. It's such a restful thing to pass the door or go in there with all that clean white white white all around.

I may gather my courage and tackle the bedroom next.

[ 22. July 2012, 20:35: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

I have to say that one little room has brightened up my attitude. It's such a restful thing to pass the door or go in there with all that clean white white white all around.

[Cool] Dazzling perfection Janine [Cool]

Well done.

Now I hust need to do something similar... (sigh)

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I live in a city that has just introduced a ban on plastic carrier bags being automatically given with store purchases. So the carrier bag stash is important. Yes, I have green bags in the car for groceries. Yes, I have a store of plastic bags that fit the small bins in the bathrooms and bedrooms. Yes I have a box of paper carrier bags and a bag of large disposable totes in the laundry for mission purposes. I use all these stashes regularly, and consider it essential recycling. I'm with HWMBO on this one!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I use and re-use those plastic bags until they're shredded. And even then they can help stuff a box to mail or something. I like that they tend to degrade faster in sunlight.

I've noticed a problem with that half-bath I was talking about above -- All that empty, white, sparkly order is so mesmerizing, it'll take an agony of deep thought over each item, when it comes time to put anything beyond my toothbrush back in there. [Paranoid]

And don't let's even think about decorations. [Eek!]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It sounds lovely Janine. Keep it all minimalist and Zen.

As for the bags, I have 'bags for life' in the car, in the house, and I always forget to take them into the shop. [Roll Eyes]

My wheelie shopping trolley is brilliant for the shops I can walk to. I don't forget that.

I am currently living in my daughter's 'granny annexe' which is a tiny area between the kitchen and the garden [Smile] I have enough gear for four weeks so it is a challenge to keep it all neat and tidy for daytime use!

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Janine, your white white white half bath sounds great! May the effects spread out towards other rooms. This weekend I attacked my linen stash, much of it inherited and very little of it really needed. So I've kept what each bed in the house might need, and taken the rest to a charity shop. This was triggered by discovering that the old airing cupboard where the new combi-boiler was installed shouldn't be used for storing anything combustible - what a waste of a cupboard! So I now have an empty cupboard [Mad] and what I am keeping is stored in boxes under beds - something I've been proud of avoiding until now, so it'll get me decluttering some drawers so nothing goes under beds.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How annoying daisydaisy! How about keeping vases in there?

I never have anywhere to keep vases - they move round from cupboard to cupboard.

My news is that the back kitchen (ie utility room) is completed - yay yay yay!

My next job is the bedroom (again) as I decluttered lots of stuff from the study into there. Now it's time to do the real sort out of that stuff.

Now that I'm on school holidays I use the timer - half an hour decluttering - then other more interesting stuff, then another half hour torture - aaand repeat!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Vases is a possible, although I keep those in the utility - but as they are at the top of the wall cabinets then at some point I know I'll have to keep them lower down, which will lead to another serious declutter (do I really need a cupboard-full of candles?).
The empty cupboard is between bedrooms, upstairs, and if the fitter had told me of this restriction I'd have asked for the boiler to have been put in the cupboard below that one, in the kitchen where I store pans - the obvious place for it. I think the fitter wanted an easy job, but I should have thought about the consequences myself. Something to remember when this boiler is replaced.

Edited to add... but of course it's the perfect place for the vacuum cleaner !!

[ 23. July 2012, 09:25: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
originally posted by daisydaisy
quote:
(do I really need a cupboard-full of candles?).
EVERYONE needs a cupboard-full of candles! [Yipee]

Mrs. S, having to make do with a box-full in the garage

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I decluttered a lot of candles and holders but I think I need to have another go. I feel ready to get rid of a few more.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
I decluttered a lot of candles and holders but I think I need to have another go. I feel ready to get rid of a few more.

I burn my candles - in the long, dark winter evenings I always have two on the go in goldfish-style candle bowls.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
we have 24 hrs to transform one student hell-hole and one dumping-ground-of-a-spare room into two inviting bedrooms.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who is dragging their feet in the decluttering dept.

I am repenting, on my knees.

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
we have 24 hrs to transform one student hell-hole and one dumping-ground-of-a-spare room into two inviting bedrooms.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who is dragging their feet in the decluttering dept.

I am repenting, on my knees.

OK - repent over - get up off your knees and get on with it. You'll feel so much better. [Smile]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My house is drowning in Agape. Fortunately it will all be gone in two weeks, but living with it while I sort it is extremely challenging, though husband and daughter have been very accommodating.

Once its gone, I am hoping the enjoyment of space will propel me into creating more.

As for old linen - I have been very grateful to the cathedral parishioners who have donated their unwanted white linen for recycling into altar undercloths, credence cloths and lavabo towels.
But again this project takes up space. *Sigh*

I love doing this kind of thing, but I really, really need a workroom for it all. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moving day on Saturday!! Cue chaos with cardboard boxes and parcel tape.

Remind me why I own so much stuff again?? *sigh*

Any tips/words of wisdom/virtual gin gratefully received

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:

Any tips/words of wisdom/virtual gin gratefully received

Get more boxes than you think you'll need.

Get big industrial tape dispenser from hardware store.

Use marker pens to label every box in detail.

Moving sucks big time - enjoy the gin! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All of what Cryptic said.

Accept offers of help, but only if you can give clear instruction and relinquish defined tasks.

Plan a day of eat-with-no-preparation meals for before and after the moving day (or put together a picnic basket).

Give yourself a break on recycling etc - do not be above using disposable dishes/cutlery either.

Make sure you know where the tea/gin is, even if you have to drink it out of a plastic cup/jam jar.

Set up your bed first. That way, no matter how much there is still to do, you can fall into bed without having to wade through a box to find your sheets.

I am about 2 weeks from a moving date upon which I will have to retrieve all of my belongings from storage in friends' houses across the region in only about 48 hours, then assist with a dance festival for a week. Moving stresses me out enough as it is! All I can hope is that my flatmate will be as longsuffering as she has previously proven herself to be and that I can keep a lid on the stress. If there is enough space in the spare room then hopefully I will be able to declutter as things come out of boxes and never let them all the way into the flat.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Sticky labels are your friend.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck with the moves, packing and movement.

I'm currently in major upheaval, decorating and decluttering as I go. Having moved my daughter out in February, finished work at the end of May and taken a month to recover from a chest infection (pneumonia?) I'm finally getting around to reorganising the flat and furniture to take advantage of the space created by moving out daughter (contents of her bedroom - ish, she chose a different bookshelf and bagged one of my useful chests). The kitchen is much tidier and sunshine yellow, daughter's ex-room is now magnolia and needs refurnishing which will hopefully start decluttering a couple of other rooms.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With the prospect of my first free weekend in ages, I am planning to spend some time Filing paperwork.

I truly don't understand how I have got three huge drawers of paperwork in less than fourth months since moving in, but THEY MUST BE STOPPED.

I have files, dividers and sticky labels. Let the sorting commence (on Saturday)!

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

FG tossed a good sturdy low bookshelf out with the trash today. He's adamant about going paperless. He's trying to make sure we get rid of books by wiping out the places where they breed...

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Furniture relocated in daughter's room - I now need to do a massive reorganisation of the desk, filing cabinet, artworks, bookshelf ... my sinuses say this isn't nice and can we stop now, but I want it done! It was bigger job than it sounds, because the bookshelf that is now in my daughter's room was the one that was in the sitting room, which meant moving the contents of two bookshelves and reorganising what went back into which.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
He's trying to make sure we get rid of books by wiping out the places where they breed...

Mr Nen would like to do that - he reads one book a year at the most and doesn't understand my need to have the books I love around me and how difficult it is for me to get rid of any. I've been known to get rid of them and then buy them again. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'm working on my dressing table at the moment, little by little. Lots of bits of clutter plus a trayful of the ubiquitous paperwork. I'm trying hard not to feel discouraged, but it's not easy. [Frown] I keep reminding myself of how clothes, at least, are not my problem. [Biased] I have the smallest wardrobe in the house and all my clothes are in there - unlike Mr Nen who has overflowed into the spare room. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

I'm working on my dressing table at the moment, little by little. Lots of bits of clutter ....

This is the worst kind! I have a tray, which I sweep it all in to, then take the tray downstairs to sort out. It's easier to deal with out of its natural habitat!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Enigma ...you were so right. Felt GREAT once done!

Managed to throw LOADS of stuff away.

....in the greater scheme of things, do I need a broken jug/ sheaf of old work papers/ one odd sock (i know, i could have made it into a glove puppet...) / a broken string of beads that i hated anyway/ a torn scarf etc etc etc that i once adored, when to keep them would have meant justifying spending ages treking up to the loft.......????

Nooooooooo.

I need to get a grip.

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I felt pretty good this morning for clearing out a load of stuff and putting out a big bag for the local hospice when they came round collecting; and then when I came home they'd put a card through the door saying thank you. I've never experienced that before. Now I have a double warm glow!
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...one odd sock (i know, i could have made it into a glove puppet...

As long as it is not a sock-puppet! [Biased]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wodders, do you think that the removal of HWMBO's cute appendix counts as an extreme form of decluttering?

[Devil]

Mrs. S, casting around for other ways to lose weight

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Snigger]

Thanks, I like that!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thought you might like a laugh!

Mrs. S, always anxious to be of assistance

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I've a popular cosmetic surgery Dr. really near my office... for $150 he'll give me a thorough preliminary workup and discuss with me options for removing various areas of flab. I'd be the Queen of Decluttering and a shadow of my former self if I went through with that...

Meh. Maybe if I simply decluttered my 'fridge, pantry, stove and restuarant table...

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

I saw the other day that if you have lipo and then go back to eating more than you should (not looking at you, Janine, honest!) the fat just starts depositing on new areas like your back and shoulders.

Cheaper and safer to stick to the fridge (like a magnet, I suppose)

Mrs. S, contemplating decluttering her navel

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
With the prospect of my first free weekend in ages, I am planning to spend some time Filing paperwork.

I truly don't understand how I have got three huge drawers of paperwork in less than fourth months since moving in, but THEY MUST BE STOPPED.

I have files, dividers and sticky labels. Let the sorting commence (on Saturday)!

Scan the papers and save them as pdfs. Shread the actual papers.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] Successfully shifted out of the house! Who knew my worldly good would fill up a luton van!

Now all my boxes and furniture are packed into the front room of a long-suffering friend who will be putting up with me until the 17th.

There's still bits and pieces at the house, but I can do them later in the week and move them in the car.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Old (over fifty years) tatty and grubby children's piano music. No piano in home, just a keyboard.

It needs to go, finito.... yes?

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Just in case you need encouragement - the answer is YES, just do it!

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

GONE!
Only taken twenty years....

Contents of caravan in living room mostly gone, kitchen cupboard helpfully finding new home for children's toys...

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Congratulations [Yipee]

And also to you ecumaniac

[ 31. July 2012, 20:42: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My paperwork is now filed and sorted! Hurrah!

(Mere Nick - I do mostly scan and shred, but tax papers and payslips or vehicle documents I have to keep paper copies of, as the HMRC and the DVLA require the paper ones to exist, sadly. Some of the other stuff was things like old birthday cards, which I wanted to keep, but more tidily than jsut throwing in a drawer)

Thanks to the help of a kind friend, we now have a secure outside place to keep my bicycle so my living room is a bit declutttered too!

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
GONE!
Only taken twenty years....

[Overused]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay for all the progress!

I'm plugging along, too, a little at a time.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A recent unexpected death in my family has led me to the determination that I really need to clean out and organize paperwork. I would hate for anyone to have to deal with all this.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, sorting out my Mum's papers a few years ago was what made me determined not to leave such a mess for the kids to deal with. I must keep reminding myself about that.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have done that and when my former house was sold post-divorce I tidied up a lot of things. Certainly decluttered my mind. New will needed after divorce, new executor,permanent power of attorney granted and ongoing medical authority etc. All documents signed, sealed and delivered and also put on CDROM by solicitor. That included divorce papers, sale of house, purchase of apartment. I do have paper stuff for all of those things which is needed, but knowing they are all readily available was very good.

I was surprised how much better I felt after all that was done.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Yes, clearing my parent's house and sorting out their financial affairs changed my views on possessions and also made me determined my daughter wouldn't have to go through all that.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I have done that and when my former house was sold post-divorce I tidied up a lot of things. Certainly decluttered my mind. New will needed after divorce, new executor,permanent power of attorney granted and ongoing medical authority etc. All documents signed, sealed and delivered and also put on CDROM by solicitor. That included divorce papers, sale of house, purchase of apartment. I do have paper stuff for all of those things which is needed, but knowing they are all readily available was very good.

I was surprised how much better I felt after all that was done.

Make sure your technology is updated and documents remain in a readable format.

National libraries and museums may have the technology to read older material; you probably won't

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pete, I have the paper copies as well because sometimes the official piece of paper is needed. However, at the moment all relevant stuff has been put on CD as well. I was once told by Centrelink that I would need to take every bit of paper to an appointment. Got there and woman was horrified by what I had brought. She fished out three pieces of paper, photocopied them and I was out of there in five minutes. CD is more for my convenience than anyone else.

It was liberating to think that I had organised all this and sons would not need to do it. They were kept informed of everything as we worked our way through it so none of it will be news to them.

[ 02. August 2012, 07:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have a new system for junk mail - a box by the letterbox, it goes straight in there for recycling bin day, unopened.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, that reminded me of the time back in the mists when I was looking for work after my first job ended. After 6 months, the Unemployment Insurance Commission sent me a letter asking me to attend their offices to prove I was looking for work. So I lugged 2 bulging briefcases full of letters of application* with rejection letters attached. I was in and out of that office in 5 minutes. I think it was the resounding thud the briefcases made when I dropped them on the floor.

[Angel]

*I kept carbon copies of each and every letter I wrote on my little manual typewriter.

Boogie: Make sure your junk mail doesn't include tax receipts or similar before binning them.

[spacing and punctuation helps, I find]

[ 02. August 2012, 08:00: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016