homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Decluttering support (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Decluttering support
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile] would have loved to 've seen the official's face!
~~~~~~~~~

A mixture of....
* student requiring injection of funds
* me not earning and
* a cluttered house....

....means that the discovery of various websites where i can flog unwanteds, is proving addictive. Very much so.

Somehow my de cluttering can happen with less pain if there is a pressing financial reason.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am upset. My daughter doesn't like most of the clothes I bought on holiday recently. She is right. So in the bin or to the charity shop they have had to go. I really liked one of the pieces as well.

Another outfit I have had for a long time and recently downgraded to around the house wear has had to be binned as well. It doesn't suit me and probably never did.

But my policy now is to only keep things that really suit me, I have to be ruthless.

I feel like I have thrown a lot of money down the drain regarding the holiday purchases. I am trying to see it as a form of charitable donation to a very poor country.

Also as a learning curve as hopefully I will not make the same mistakes again.

So that's another six items decluttered.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
I am upset. My daughter doesn't like most of the clothes I bought on holiday recently. She is right. So in the bin or to the charity shop they have had to go. I really liked one of the pieces as well.

I tend to think that if you like particular clothes and feel happy and confident in them, you will look good. I know what you mean about taking a daughter's opinion into consideration (my daughter has great dress sense, far better than mine, and I often go shopping with her) but at the end of the day it has to be about how you want to look.

I am still getting over my upset of a few weeks ago, decluttering a load of sentimental paperwork which I then regretted disposing of, and it makes me sad when people are upset by getting rid of things. [Frown] I still am decluttering, but very cautiously. [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nenya, don't be upset for me! It's a long story but I think I knew when I was buying them that they were not right. And I didn't feel that good wearing them.

My daughter just confirmed my own suspicions.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

PS, I was more upset at my own stupidity at buying them in the first place and the waste of money than the getting rid of them.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
my friend very generously gave me a huge box of her cast-offs and a lot of the stuff is GREAT. but it throws off my clothing minimalism plan. So now, I'm trying to work "trades" - for every new item into the closet, an old one goes out. this is not easy!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I refuse to deal with clothing until the warmer weather arrives - or my ducted gas heating system - whichever gets here first! [Smile]

SIX crates of paper have gone out to the recycling in the last week, and there are just as many left - mostly of an archival nature. But its a start.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over the last couple of weeks I have been making a very determined effort to declutter - went through a cupboard which I had stacked things in when we moved into the current house - and that was 7 years ago. Amazing how much of the "Oh, I'll need that one day, maybe, possibly, errr..." there was. I man to say, I retired from teaching a few years back - why did I keep all of my old class notes and material.

Good books I donated to local school - while useless paper was donated to the local recylcing centre: and that was 6 large carton loads.

Whew - now, that makes me feel righteous, or cleansed, or something good!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by emendator liturgia:

Whew - now, that makes me feel righteous, or cleansed, or something good!

Brill, well done! It does feel good. Having more space makes me feel somehow 'lighter'!

Mum and Dad always had an immaculate house with everything in its place. Dad said they were tidy because they were lazy - no clearing up!

I'll never be that tidy but I now have three rooms where everything has a place and is in its place and, yes - it's much easier. I can do my painting and photography without 'stuff to be done' yelling at me.

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is now spare room is decorated and has filing cabinet, desk and computer desk in there (plus bed, no storage space for possible visitors, yet - I have ideas on how to do that). I've sorted the teetering piles of paperwork, mostly, still got some more to do, but 3 sacks of recycling have gone out and a lot of things are neatly filed in now accessible filing cabinet drawers - there's space on the bookshelf in there for the crates of art and craft stuff and teaching resources when I've finished sorting them. And I can't ditch the teaching resources yet, until I know what I can find as employment.

The floor of that room is a bit covered with little piles for filing, but I'm getting there. Very satisfying having pretty coloured patterns of file hangers to put them in as I file the folders. Sorting that room out means I've removed all the paperwork out of two other rooms I need to get to decorate.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a little worried that you're contemplating storing visitors!

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Snigger]

That makes it sound as if CK is the lady in that Roald Dahl story The Landlady.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin] - but I would like my daughter to come home sometimes. And I know several teenagers who are homeless who it would be nice to house occasionally.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a spare room for wandering persons if they are not dangerous!! Please apply.......

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm utterly cluttered. No kids, so sparing them has not been a motivation. But - a friend recently took a job teaching English overseas, loves it, her boss is hiring -

ooh, that would be so great, I wonder if they hire oldsters, really enticing. Ya, got take the EFT course and get some experience first, but interesting how attractive the idea, maybe I'm really not the nester I assumed I was

Let's see, get ready to ditch the house, cut permanent possessions to one small storage room. Funny how a little motivation changes the hold the stuff tries to have on you. I hope this attitude sticks, at worst I'll have a pleasant dwelling, at best I'll be off on an adventure in a year or two. I wonder how many garage sales I'm allowed to do per year! Hanging on to stuff I don't use just because it's "an heirloom" is so last century.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
I'm utterly cluttered. No kids, so sparing them has not been a motivation. But - a friend recently took a job teaching English overseas, loves it, her boss is hiring -

Dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiittt!!!!!!

Nothing like moving across the other side of the globe to loosen one's hold on expensive-to-ship possessions!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would agree, go for it!

And shipping stuff is not only expensive from where you are you also have to face a load of fees when it arrives, as I am just finding out!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
... a friend recently took a job teaching English overseas, loves it, her boss is hiring -

.... Hanging on to stuff I don't use just because it's "an heirloom" is so last century.

Oooo so exciting - go for it!! And I like your heirloom philosophy - build yourself your own memories instead of carrying those of your ancestors.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You see that rubbish bag in the hall? Weighs 6lbs. All stuff I have just cleared out of the bathroom - long-coagulated shower gel, innumerable little bottles and sachets of hotel toiletries, half-burnt candles, squeezed tubes and dried-up roll-ons. I have located 30 unused bars of soap.

And that, relative to the global clutter, was not that bad to begin with.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze bubbled:
quote:
I have located 30 unused bars of soap.

[Eek!] How could you not notice that many?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did I tell you of the office I once moved into, the guy before it had the most clutter I have ever seen. So much so that when finally threatened with problems if he did not clear it, he found a laser printer in there. Not one of your modern small ones no a hulking great big 1990s model.

30 bars of soap compared to that, is restrained.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Though a mislaid chainsaw did remain undetected in the hall...
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Firenze bubbled:
quote:

[Eek!] How could you not notice that many?
Oh I knew they were there. Mostly. I just didn't think our stash amounted to 30.

ETA to the previous post: my hall, not the one in Jengie!s office.

[ 13. August 2012, 15:38: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I have written myself a note not to buy any more scouring sponges. I have ten packets (3 per pack) under the sink.

quote:
Though a mislaid chainsaw did remain undetected in the hall...
[Paranoid] [Eek!]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prepping my rental house for checkout, and someone says "Where's the doorbell?" We had removed it ages ago in order to change the battery (and then never got around to it). It had been sitting on top of the crockery cabinet, but of course that and everything else has been packed into boxes which are currently stored Tetris-style in my friend's front room.

Cue panic, while I start to search through every box that was packed by someone else on moving day!

2 days later, get an email from the other housemates. Turns out they had it all along. [brick wall]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got rid of a bunch of stuff today, and found a better way to set up one section of my books! [Smile]

Hugs to all of us.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Got rid of a bunch of stuff today, and found a better way to set up one section of my books! [Smile]

Hugs to all of us.

[Yipee]

My husband is home on Monday after ten weeks away - so today's de-cluttering cupboard is the pan and cooking tray one.

He hates to see old pans and trays go, however rusty and horrible they are, so I must do the clean sweep before he returns!

[ 15. August 2012, 09:30: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

You could always sell them as scrap that way you can tell him that you made some money out of them!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon two weeks ago:
A recent unexpected death in my family has led me to the determination that I really need to clean out and organize paperwork. I would hate for anyone to have to deal with all this.

Well, it seems to be working. The stress I'm feeling is manifesting itself in a spurt of cleaning of files, shredding of old papers, etc. I'm quite proud of what I've accomplished so far. There's still more to do, and I have other sorts of clutter to deal with, so I hope the momentum continues.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The bad news is that I found clothes moths in my stash of dog fur that I was going to spin, meaning that I've got to clear it out. The good news is that I've got to clear it out, and re-organise my yarn into stuff I will actually use some time this century!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have neither dog hair to spin nor chainsaw or even 30 bars of soap.....this thread makes me smile, thank you everyone [Smile]

however I do have endlessendless carefully boxed up CD cases that ( adult) offspring have left behind. What's the etiquette for this please?

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When adult offspring leave their stuff behind I think it's nice to ask them if it should be tossed (or donated or recycled), or if they want it to give them a time limit to come and get it (or pay for it to be shipped).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you're dealing with grown offspring's stuff, make sure everyone's on the same page about it. If you have plans to throw it out, for instance, make sure offspring *understands* that you mean it.

I've known it to go badly wrong.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If you're dealing with grown offspring's stuff, make sure everyone's on the same page about it. If you have plans to throw it out, for instance, make sure offspring *understands* that you mean it.

My parents allowed my brothers and me each to leave one trunk at their house. Anything that was not in the trunk would not be saved.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Thanks Moo, there's room in the loft for large plastic boxes, with lids. Think I'm going down that route.
(brain obviously not working this week!)

[ 16. August 2012, 20:13: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

"Released" more stuff!

(Some people who write about this sort of thing suggest it may be easier to cope with thinking of releasing stuff, rather than throwing it away. Giving it a try!)

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
"Released" more stuff!

(Some people who write about this sort of thing suggest it may be easier to cope with thinking of releasing stuff, rather than throwing it away. Giving it a try!)

Some of my stuff isn't fit to be released into the wild!

It must have just been lazyness that caused me to keep stuff not even fit for the charity shop. I have written 'must do better in future' out 100 times and hope this punishment keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Looking back, this thread has been going for twelve months.

Here are my successes -

Kitchen - decluttered, clear and everything has a place.
Utility room - ditto.
Bedrooms - ditto.

Yet to tackle -

My study, studio and office (one room)
The books - bookcases in lounge, halls and landings.
The photographs - two large boxes, need scanning etc.
Dad's slides - seven boxes all need looking through and some scanning, eek!
The DVDs and DCs (which should just be sent straight to the charity shop as we have 'gone digital')
The wine rack (not really - the only job there is to keep it FULL!)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
"Released" more stuff!

I have been puzzling about this, thinking that I have spent days, months, years thinking about releasing stuff rather than getting on with getting rid of it. And it didn't help at all really. [Confused] [Help]

I have just 'got it'!! Duh [Roll Eyes] [Hot and Hormonal]

Congratulations anyway.

Congratulations on progress Boogie.

I have decluttered a computer file (paper) previously full of old instruction booklets and out of date helpful info etc, etc.

I am working up to decluttering some electronic files.

Also donating some more clothes. I forgot to take them with today.

DH is decluttering the garden. A major clearance job.

--------------------

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Forgetting to keep our moggy's vaccinations up to date meant panic re the bank holiday days away. Problem solved through sensible teenager cat sitting.

However.....sensible teenager could NOT be allowed to see our home in its disreputable state. Decluttering? It was like a plague of locusts passed through.

Coming home from our minibreak, it was truly marvellous to walk back into a home that looked and smelt like A Real Home. We're just going to have to go away more often!

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Following the move and a long weekend of DIY/decorating we have a box mountain to work through. And a housewarming date of October 5th to do it by, possibly earlier if I get another lodger. Clever Current Lodger, in building the mountain carefully noted down what had been piled where and who it belonged to. That list is going to be invaluable over the next few weeks!

Now I just have to get used to the idea that everything must find a home in the flat itself - the massive basement I was hoping to use for storage has proven to be somewhat inaccessible. Probably good for my self-control and hoarding nature!

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just notice Welease Woderwick has joined us and is decluttering Heaven [Biased]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Ethne Alba, nice story! Amazing what we can do when we have to.

Impressive box mountain TtP.

Huia [Killing me]

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why is it so hard to throw out things I don't need and haven't used in six years? Sigh. The moving van is coming on Monday whether I throw it out or not. It has already been moved twice and been in storage for two years. Defies logic.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I just notice Welease Woderwick has joined us and is decluttering Heaven [Biased]

We wouldn't dare! The Hosts are a fearsome lot over there; I think Gwai, Campbellite and I will stick to decluttering All Saints, thanks.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OOopps, Sorry WW, wouldn't want to get you into strife [Hot and Hormonal] . Good thing I didn't suggest it was Hell -Pete can be really fierce.

The bloke is coming to empty the 40gallon drum tomorrow. I womder how long it will take me to fill it again.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Why is it so hard to throw out things I don't need and haven't used in six years? Sigh. The moving van is coming on Monday whether I throw it out or not. It has already been moved twice and been in storage for two years. Defies logic.

The thought 'it may come in useful one day' is a very strong one! Having watched hoarder programmes a lot, I think it's that thought which is the problem, not emotional attachment. I am trying to give away anything I haven't used in years but could buy again (knowing that's very unlikely) The irreplaceable stuff I think twice about - but even that is getting the decluttering treatment eventually. I'm determined to kill that hoarding instinct!

[Smile]

Good luck with the move!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I have decluttered some bits and bobs. Old sewing needles that have gone rusty in their cases. A sadly faded pincushion. Bits of lace trim and fabric ends I saved from my mother's stash - er 12 years ago.

A broken luggage trolley.

Empty jam jars. I have enough for my chutney needs.

Out of date foodstuffs. How does this happen? I really do declutter my foodstuff regularly, and try to use it up, and I still end up with out of date stuff. [Disappointed]

beachcomber
Shipmate
# 17294

- Posted      Profile for beachcomber   Email beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't passed Go- but hope / wanna.

--------------------
Helen-Eva:'This is all really interesting and intensely confusing stuff and I am now bewildered in a much more informed way than I was before.'

Posts: 144 | From: bagdad cafe | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just "released" a load of travel bags & cases - goodness knows how I managed to get so many! I'm sure there are even more in the roofspace, so need to explore up there more often to see what else I can liberate into new ownership.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

I managed to declutter some more clothes. They had never been worn, but I haven't been able to find or think of an occasion to wear them and I don't feel right about them.

I finally convinced myself that keeping them in the wardrobe didn't actually make it any less of a waste of money buying them.

So I have blessed someone else by donating them. Along with some shoes.

Talking about shoes.....I am working up to a major shoe clear out.

Blessing someone with our released stuff is a phrase Flylady introduced me to.

Meanwhile I have managed to acquire some more household tat on my trips to the charity shop to donate things.

Plus some books. [Roll Eyes] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016