homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Decluttering support (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Decluttering support
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have TEN DAYS until the housewarming party so getting rid of the remaining box foothills takes on more importance. The plan this evening (my last free one this week) is to get all of my clothes sorted into my wardrobe and perhaps to put the last coat of paint on a set of shelves so they can be put up under the window at the weekend.

The weekend jobs are the big ones - put up a mirror, hang my sword and get as many of the boxes that are cluttering up the living room emptied as I can (then hiding the remaining evidence so I can do a proper pre-party clean).

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought i was bad at clutter, then i married the spouse

i'm still recovering

My clutter is corralled and isolated from our daily living. I'm mean with it, loath sharing my clutter, hate it being on display to all and sundry + if all clutter is within small and clearly defined areas, then there is a good chance that i can always find lost and strayed bumph.

Spouse is generous to a T, he liberally shares & sometimes even appears to display his scraps of paper (such is the prominance given to them). Clearly defined areas of clutter do not exist for this person and he daily looses ....well .... nearly everything.

The previous comments re Every Surface, clearly indicate that Mrs S has nipped into our home one dark night and had a quick shufty round. You describe our home exactly.

Q
Do i really have any right to complain about this generosity of his, while i maintain my own corralled areas of squalor?

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
I thought i was bad at clutter, then i married the spouse
The previous comments re Every Surface, clearly indicate that Mrs S has nipped into our home one dark night and had a quick shufty round. You describe our home exactly.

[Killing me]
with me, it was the other way round. I was just averagely untidy until I married Mr S. He is so tidy that unless I keep track of my bills to the *minute* they are filed away tidily, so I can never find them and they don't get paid. In sheer self-defence I carry them round in my laptop bag!

There used to be, pre-menopause, a hormonal quality to my tidying. My friends at work could always tell when I was pre-menstrual because I would walk into the office, look round with great disfavour and enquire 'Doesn't anyone ever tidy up this dump?'. Ten minutes later they would all be hiding under their desks while I Tidied Up.

How long ago that seems!

Mrs. S, still looking round the office with disfavour...

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
quote:
Eleanorjane wrote
I'm quietly revelling in the organisation. I do find it helps an otherwise extremely busy life to feel that things are a bit more under control at home. You too?

Oh absolutely! I really don't know how people function at all when every surface is covered with Stuff, and there are things at the side of every step of the staircase, and clothes all over the floor...
Same here! For me it's a big trigger towards depression. Because of the layout of our house, to get from any one room to another, you have to go through the hall. Of course, when anyone comes in, shoes, coats, bags, anything they're carrying just gets dumped on the floor near the door - and gradually spreads along as there's no space there... Until I have a Tidying Up Now Moment and force the Opuses to come and put their shoes and coats away (in the cupboard Right By the front door [Roll Eyes] ), their books and toys back in their room etc. and I put Mr B's shoes in our shoe cupboard (also Right By the front door)...

Once I'm no longer ground down with despair the moment I open the front door, I can then find the energy to tackle some of the rest of it. [Smile]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
... last Lent I persuaded a friend that, rather than giving up chocolate or whatever, she should hang up her work clothes when she came in, put away her shoes, put the dirty washing straight into the bin and so on...

I have taken on decluttering jobs as Lenten disciplines a couple of times. I got the idea from a friend who cleaned closets on Yom Kippur.

(How appropriate for today I just realized!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just got my winter clothes out and decided to get rid of all the things that don't suit/fit me. So far I've got a bag of jumpers to take to the charity shop. Now got to work through the skirts and trousers.
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
The plan this evening (my last free one this week) is to get all of my clothes sorted into my wardrobe and perhaps to put the last coat of paint on a set of shelves so they can be put up under the window at the weekend.

Well, the wardrobe situation is pretty much sorted but, having half the space I used to, it's looking a bit jampacked. I was pretty ruthless before the move, so I think I may have to move to a system of rotating only-summer and only-winter clothes in and out of the wardrobe. And I did some of the painting (there's only so much drying space on the coffee table) so with a bit of luck I'll be able to get the rest done before the weekend.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Intrepid Mrs S recommended I check in this thread as I am down sizing after 45 years of marriage. I cannot believe that the first time we moved it was with two cardboard boxes in the back seat of the car. Now we have a six room house, garage, and storage under the house. Sigh. I have done very well finding homes for many of my books. I was able to give them away with visiting privileges. [Smile] to the church, and friends. I am now about to tackle the spare bedroom. Reading through the thread has inspired me. I AM NOT ALONE.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've taken quite few books to charity shops recently, including a Good News Bible, as we had two in stock (both the junior Plummers had one at school and didn't take them when they left home) and was enjoying the feeling of creating some space on the shelves and giving someone a chance to get a cheap Bible in pretty good condition. I was appalled the other evening to hear from someone in our study group that her relative, doing a stint at an Oxfam shop, was told that it was their policy to throw all Bibles away. It's made me even more reluctant than before to get rid of any books!
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
...I was appalled the other evening to hear from someone in our study group that her relative, doing a stint at an Oxfam shop, was told that it was their policy to throw all Bibles away...

[Eek!]

I wonder what they do if someone donates a Koran. Think of the riots if they were to toss those in the trash.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our local charity shop does not take Bibles, nor does the library for their book sales. I found the local jail and women's shelter were happy to take any religious books off of my hands.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I may have to move to a system of rotating only-summer and only-winter clothes

If only you could organise the weather on the same system!

I went through my t-shirts and tops today, organising into Still Wearable; Can Be Altered To Fit; Charity Shop; Textile Recycling.
Off to the charity shop with a bagful tomorrow.

[ 26. September 2012, 21:50: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today got rid of an old and sad and sagging bed.....to replace with a new one that I hope will get me through the rest of my life. Does that count??

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A new sad and sagging bed? [Biased]
Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

Good point - I knew there was a reason I don't do it!

My spare sofa remains covered in books as I emptied the bookcase then went off to Heidelberg to visit my son - doh! We stayed in my son's GF's flat - sooooooo tidy, gorgeous and inspirational!

Back now and ready to put the decluttering hat on again. I'd love to be as sorted as she is!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We stayed in my son's GF's flat - sooooooo tidy, gorgeous and inspirational! Back now and ready to put the decluttering hat on again. I'd love to be as sorted as she is!
Ah but Boogie, you can't see what she left behind in her parents' house! Half (at least) of what Mr. S and I have to contend with is what Master S and the Intrepid Miss S have abandoned when they left home - in fact there was even an article in the Telegraph a few days ago about Storage Facility of Mum and Dad... [Roll Eyes]

Mrs. S, beset by boxes

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
The Intrepid Mrs S recommended I check in this thread as I am down sizing after 45 years of marriage. I cannot believe that the first time we moved it was with two cardboard boxes in the back seat of the car. Now we have a six room house, garage, and storage under the house. Sigh. I have done very well finding homes for many of my books. I was able to give them away with visiting privileges. [Smile] to the church, and friends. I am now about to tackle the spare bedroom. Reading through the thread has inspired me. I AM NOT ALONE.

Hello Graven Image and welcome to our world! *waves*
(sorry for double post [Frown] )

Mrs. S, always happy to share the fun

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter was home for the weekend a couple of weeks ago, and she went through the stored boxes, partly because she needed some of the university notes. She's left me with one big box and a few bits that need to go up next time one of us has some spare baggage space. I did say that we needed to work out how to move the plastic lidded box of notes up to her. She made comments about no storage space. Grr. That crate is taking up some of my very limited storage space, thank you very much.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

quote:
quote:

True, but there are definately some very flimsy clothes that could spend the winter under the bed and my woolen skirts that could do the same March to October. Perhaps it's just a matter of deciding in my head that certain clothes are suitable for certain months and use the transitional or layering pieces all year round. Or maybe it's time for another cull...

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
A new sad and sagging bed? [Biased]

[Big Grin] No in fact it's very perky and so high off the floor that when I sit on it my feet dangle. Comfortable I think though I haven't slept on it yet 'cos it needed to air. Tonight's the night.
And it has drawers - which I promise to at least try not to clutter!

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

True, but there are definately some very flimsy clothes that could spend the winter under the bed and my woolen skirts that could do the same March to October. Perhaps it's just a matter of deciding in my head that certain clothes are suitable for certain months and use the transitional or layering pieces all year round. Or maybe it's time for another cull...
I normally do this with outterwear, but this summer I locked away the winter clothing generally - thick sweaters and such. this week I'm planning the switcheroo - summer dresses be gone! and guess what? I'm kind of excited. I have no memory of what I taped up in those boxes, so I feel like I have my own little christmas coming. have to package up the summer stuff first, though - the reward is opening up the winter boxes.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Mr Image and I are going to look at mobile homes today. No we are not moving into one, but I thought it might help to look at smaller spaces as I try to par down for when we do move into smaller quarters. Beside being out Mr Image will take me to lunch. Win Win.
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Little Miss Methodist, I'm impressed, I can't even find my New Year's housekeeping resolutions, if I ever made any.

Very interesting that just rearranging the bedroom furniture made the room seem less cluttered.

Pigwidgeon, I like the Lent cleaning discipline idea. I'm wondering if a big clean twice a year at Advent and Lent followed by basic maintenance routines would work better for me.

I'm not getting on very well with little and often at the moment.

Or is it just a method of procrastinating? I'll have to think about it.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Pigwidgeon, I like the Lent cleaning discipline idea. I'm wondering if a big clean twice a year at Advent and Lent followed by basic maintenance routines would work better for me.

Another advantage would be a clean house for Christmas and Easter!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(grrrr.... parental storage....grumble...off to grow a backbone...)
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
Today got rid of an old and sad and sagging bed.....to replace with a new one that I hope will get me through the rest of my life. Does that count??

Yay, new bed! I love new beds. And a good new pillow is up there too. I think they do need replacing every so often though - I think they say 7 years? Could maybe stretch to 10 if you're still feeling comfy? We kept our old bed too long and the joy the one gave us was great and ongoing. I used to go to bed and mutter 'bed, bed, bed, how I love you bed...' to myself in a somewhat manic fashion...

K. Going now. Bai.

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Three more pairs of shoes decluttered. Not quite out of the house yet but in a bag waiting to go tomorrow. If I feel strong enough I might add to them.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re-organising the fiction bookshelves to fit in the ones shipped in from UK and I had to clear some gifted ornaments - ain't it maddening when you have to drop them several times before they break?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But if they break they can't possibly be regifted

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure I'd wish them on anyone - not even my sister in law who would probably like them!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Well, the visit through some new mobile homes really helped in getting a mind set for tossing. I got a real idea of what living in a smaller space would mean. I also found a retreat center this week who would like to take some of my giveaways. They could use extra bed linens, space heater, as well as some kitchen wear.
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

Thyme, I'm a great believer in getting these pairs of shoes into bags first. Then the final moment seems to be easier!
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

I started on the bathroom today. Took down pictures. Yes, I had a number of pictures in the bathroom, none of any value, and all under glass. I am ashamed to admit I found some old dated medications that should have been thrown out years ago. [Paranoid]
Yes, that is years with a s, several "fancy soaps," and other things long past their prime. Out of sight out of mind. Anyone want some aspirin from 1999?

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Searching, unsuccessfully, in Mr RoS's bedroom for a bag of holey socks I know he has somewhere and which I intend to throw out with the recycling I found six - yes, six carrier bags full of gloves. Mostly odd ones, and mostly work gloves found around the village car psrks.
I have given him a recycling bag and an ultimatum. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Shoes are in the charity shop together with a hairdryer.

Three pairs of old trousers in the bin.

--------------------

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two bags of books to Oxfam! Now the bookshelves are only full, instead of overflowing. Am trying for a one-in, one-out policy.

I've found a great idea for my older boys' room: it's the fourth uncropped picture down with the yellow wall behind. It's just basic adjustable shelves on brackets, but shelves of different lengths to break it up and allow for tall Lego rockets, and a really deep bottom shelf to serve as a desk, which I can raise as they get taller.

Exciting! Now I can finally deal with the mountains of Lego and tiny toys on top of the chest of drawers.

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Panda, my youngest brother had (well, still has!) a huge collection of Legos, and it drove my mother crazy until she bought (or made -- I don't remember) a large drawstring tote for them. It was a large circle of fabric with a drawstring in a channel running around the circumference. When open it laid completely flat on the floor, so all you had to do was scoop/toss/fling all the Legos onto the fabric before pulling it closed with the drawstring.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Mr RoS actually culled some of those odd gloves [Eek!] A whole carrier bag full.
Dustbin day today, and I put them in myself, so they have really gone.
The remainder have all been crammed into just two bags - and I still can't see why one person with only two hands needs so many gloves - but at least these are in pairs (or so I am presuming [Roll Eyes] )
Baby steps.

--------------------

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure many have already posted good ideas for rags and rag bags, but if someone doesn't mind making a suggestion? I loved the Legos bag idea -- is there a way of doing something similar with rags?
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Panda, my youngest brother had (well, still has!) a huge collection of Legos, and it drove my mother crazy until she bought (or made -- I don't remember) a large drawstring tote for them. It was a large circle of fabric with a drawstring in a channel running around the circumference.

Yes, the Lego company used to make these for storing Lego bricks - a great idea.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Panda, my youngest brother had (well, still has!) a huge collection of Legos, and it drove my mother crazy until she bought (or made -- I don't remember) a large drawstring tote for them. It was a large circle of fabric with a drawstring in a channel running around the circumference.

Yes, the Lego company used to make these for storing Lego bricks - a great idea.
They used to also make a toy dump truck that could roll over the bricks and scoop them up to a storage container on back.

At church I have a lego table that works nicely for containing the pesky critters (so painful to step on!). There's a lot of varieties online, but this design is simply a large square made of the lego grids for building stuff on, which a whole in the middle with a large mesh pocket that holds the bricks.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
agh. excuse obvious pre-edit typo. bleh.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm teetering nervously on the brink of this thread, as I have so much to declutter I have no idea where to begin. I am also the queen of procrastination so will have to ensure that reading supportive decluttering threads doesn't actually replace the decluttering. [Paranoid]

Our house has always been overwhelmed with stuff - there is so much stuff on every available horizontal surface. Things got much worse recently with the arrival of Child C - for something so small he seems to require a whole lot of stuff.

So I don't really know where to start. I've been trying to operate a "Daily net loss" system [Smile] - so there's always slightly more stuff going out than coming in, even if it's only returning stuff that people have lent rather than actually getting rid of things altogether. But I think I need to do more than that.

So today I'll bag up the last of the small size baby clothes for the loft. It's a small start, but it's a start. I'm dreadful for "just in case....." - how do people deal with that?

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Be strong, Jemima the 9th [Smile]

I also have the "just in case" problem. I am trying to use the "if I haven't needed it in a year (or two, depending on the item) then I won't need it" policy, but it can be difficult (especially as inevitably I do find myself needing something which I have thrown out in the previous declutter.

Boxing up things no longer used is a good start I think.

I am still working on Mr Shrew's box of old broken shoes. He freely admits that he will never wear any of them again but is very reluctant to part with them anyway.

I'm hoping to do a lot of decluttering this week and a tip/charity bank run later on - maybe he will let me take them this time (fingers crossed!)

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fellow declutterers, I have had a breakthrough!

I have just cleared a drawer in the kitchen, and had a realisation of what to put in it - the plastic carrier bags!

Now we have a limit on how many Mr Shrew can insist we keep, AND they will cease to be a spider hotel!

I shall have a sneaky run to the recycling bank with the extras this afternoon before he gets home from work.

Hoorah for a problem solved!

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
I'm dreadful for "just in case....." - how do people deal with that?

The thing which helped me a lot was watching a few TV programmes about extreme compulsive hoarders - the people whose houses only have small passages through the clutter.

I realised it was the "just in case" thought gone mad which was their problem, not emotional attachment.

Seeing that tendency in myself really helped me to get rid of many things. So if I know I could easily buy it again if needed, I get rid.

[ 08. October 2012, 17:14: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm making progress again! [Yipee]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
The thing which helped me a lot was watching a few TV programmes about extreme compulsive hoarders - the people whose houses only have small passages through the clutter.

Mr RoS always leaves the room when one of those progammes comes on [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

sewanee_angel
Shipmate
# 2908

- Posted      Profile for sewanee_angel   Email sewanee_angel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
I'm teetering nervously on the brink of this thread, as I have so much to declutter I have no idea where to begin. I am also the queen of procrastination so will have to ensure that reading supportive decluttering threads doesn't actually replace the decluttering. [Paranoid]

Our house has always been overwhelmed with stuff - there is so much stuff on every available horizontal surface.

I'm dreadful for "just in case....." - how do people deal with that?

It's like you're me. Lots of stuff, plagued by "I might need/want this later," living with someone who is similar, both procrastinators, and well, way too much paper & stuff. [Help]

I'm going to skim through this thread to see what tips folks have already posted.

Posts: 598 | From: a van down by the river | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is the first time I've really explained all my house issues so bear with me. My family don't know this and only one friend.
My house has been a tip since my second child - he's 8 now! We hadn't seen our bedroom floor for years, everywhere was messy and we haven't had guest since he was tiny either as I couldn't bear the thought of anyone seeing our house. I seldom let anyone through the door other than children and I apologised to them.
Anyway, last June I finally realised that I've probably had a low grade depression for years and that I needed to do something about the house to get me out of it. I'm a stay at home mum, doing a couple of hours work for the Open University, so I have to spend all day in this environment. And it was a barrier to friendships for all my family.
An online friend recommended Flylady to me. The emails are a bit cheesy but I really love her psychological approach, which was just what I needed - gentle steps to encourage.
My first project was to declutter and tidy my craft room by my birthday mid-july so my husband could buy me a glass grinder (good incentive there). I haven't been able to use the desk for at least a year and I had no idea where anything was. Worse still, dh had bought me a tiny kiln for Christmas and I hadn't been able to use because of the mess. I now have a working craft room and much more fun.
By the end of summer my kitchen was finally in a presentable and managable state, helped by the good habits I've learnt. In September I decluttered, tidied and re-arranged our bedroom - 10 bags of rubbish and 8 bags of clothing to be recycled! My husband is now about to re-decorate it. It's also had a positive affect on him, he's a procrastinater but my tidying the house has spurred him on to do things like fit the bathroom lino which has been in the loft for a year. This month I'm tackling the lounge and hall.
I'm not quite where I want to be yet but we've reached the stage where we are planning to have guests around for dinner. A bit scary for me (I have bipolar and don't like stress) but a welcome challenge.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016