homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Decluttering support (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Decluttering support
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Let's remember not to go too far on the irregular verbs in this thread. That sounds more heavenly or circusy.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11861 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
A gorgeous pair of little embroidered shoes, that will go very well with one of my favourite dresses. [Yipee]

So not new clutter for me. Not at all.

A friend of mine who lives in Massachusetts is your soul-mate. Cute little embroidered shoes, I just know she would be fighting you for them!
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh gosh you're all so good! I just paid some bills and I have nowhere to file them cos our file is full of old stuff that mainly needs chucking...

I wish I could have about four weeks off to have a thorough spring clean inside and out (with some professional help for the trees and garden as they're just beyond me)... oh well... Have to go and help a friend move house so the tip that this my house will have to stay unsorted for another day.

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
About email: Mr. Plummer and I had to have separate mailboxes because he keeps all his mail in the inbox, more than 5000, and I file mine away, or delete, as soon as I read them - and we were driving each other nuts.

I make the most of this online tidiness, as in every other respect Mr. P. considers me completely hopeless at putting things away, though unlike him I can usually find what I'm looking for.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today my 2X 15 minutes will be spent clearing out two very useful box type suspension file thingies - which are full of very un-useful papers.

I hate sorting papers, so I'm gritting my teeth for this one.

[Snore] [Help] [Snore]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12546 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had my phone statement yesterday and it went straight into the Phone folder I recently created. [Smile] There are a number of statements missing, because they're in piles somewhere in the house, but they'll come to light, I know they will. [Biased]

I have a lot of emails I couldn't delete but could probably do with making files or folders for them. Certainly at work I need to keep most things - a lot of stuff is done on email. Only today I had a query from something that happened in May and was able to produce the email. Very satisfying. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My ebay file frame arrived yesterday, a flat pack type but the package had torn and was post office patched - one leg had escaped [Frown]

Not to be defeated I have botched one together and the hybrid creature now in my filing cabinet and the files set in it all ready to recieve papers from the sort through of all that survived the throw out session.

Today the focus was on the rest of the house prior to a garden party tomorrow - with indoors on standby! About 50% was true decluttering and 50% sweeping into boxes to hide in study and await another day. (Note that a regular 100% sweep away is my usual approach so the base level out here is bearable)

ETA - Whereas the craft room planned when I moved in 2 years has long disappeared under junk and chaos, whilst the study has to be fought at the moment I am in denial about this room.

[ 26. August 2011, 22:11: Message edited by: Avila ]

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am quite inspired at the moment after helping my friend move and seeing her sweep 90% of her (perfectly good) make up, skin care products and other stuff into the rubbish.

Have tidied a little bit today and taken about 5 bags of stuff that's been sitting around for months to the Op shop.

Just a note though, I did have about 3 things to rescue from those bags that I thought I didn't need then found out I did. So I think it works for me to have a bit of thinking time in between deciding to chuck and actually chucking.

Anyone else regretted throwing things out?

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today, I got rid of almost all the stuff that doesn't go into standard recycling: shoes, batteies, 'alu' foil*, coins (to Unicef), old-fashioned camera. Only two bags of difficult stuff left, but I've found out where I can take it now. Feels good. [Cool]

*Puzzlingly, this used to be about the only thing worth recycling once they stopped re-using pop bottles - so why does hardly anyone want it now, when they will take the bloody cans irrespective of metal used?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8909 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My housemates returned yesterday from a road trip to her old flat in Poland - she went for a holiday but also to retrieve the remainder of her stuff/empty out the flat.

Turns out she owns a super-expensive, very nice flatware set. We're talking cake forks and fish knives and mocha spoons (not tea spoons, and not coffee spoons either. Mocha spoons!)

So now we have given away all our cutlery and are now eating with this gorgeous silverware*. I quipped that it's like they went off and got married, because now we have lovely matching things in the kitchen [Big Grin]

But this stuff had been bought by her mum years and years ago, and had never been used. It was still all in its packaging!

*it's actually stainless steel, so dishwasherable thank goodness

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK - after a weekend and a bank holiday off it's back to the routine!

Today I will be continuing to hack at the paper piles in my study. Friday was s l o w - but this was because I made certain each paper I was keeping had a place and I'd find it again.

More of the same today - this is the hardest type of de-cluttering for me, by far.

[Waterworks] [Help] [Roll Eyes]

<typo>

[ 30. August 2011, 08:46: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My shelving for books and assorted memorabilia arrived today. I have about half of it up and DIL will help tomorrow. Then the unpacking begins. I'll be away from Friday till Monday so won't want to walk into a mess when i return. I may go easy till next week when I have little planned.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9317 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:

Just a note though, I did have about 3 things to rescue from those bags that I thought I didn't need then found out I did. So I think it works for me to have a bit of thinking time in between deciding to chuck and actually chucking.

Anyone else regretted throwing things out?

Karen Kingston recommends filling the black sacks, and then keeping them around for three days to a week. If you haven't needed to break in to them for anything in that time, they can go!

I find that the awareness of needing things often happens overnight - I may even wake up thinking of the object in question, and rescue it on the spot, lest age related amnesia makes me forget to do it in the morning!

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 7765 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I fill sacks for charities with clothes I don't wear, then often leave them until the next sack for that charity comes through the door. If I don't miss the clothes in that time, I put the sack out.

I managed to get ShadoK (a terrible hoarder) to throw a few things out recently - he even agreed to throw out the old work bag with the broken strap and the scuffed and torn leather, despite muttering 'but most of it still has functional load-bearing capacity' as he did so!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3445 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is one weeks since B4 left. Yesterday I got to the point where I could open all the mouldy windows in her room and wash them and the floor. TP says it was a task which reminded him of Hercules cleaning the Augean stables.

By the end of the week I will have a craft room. [Yipee]

The down side is there is too much craft stuff even for one large room. Now I am going to have to cull MY hoard. [Frown]
Gosh it's tiring having to make all these decisions...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7046 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
TP says it was a task which reminded him of Hercules cleaning the Augean stables.
BL, although I've met him only the once, I can hear that comment being made!

I've finally thrown out some tiny balls of leftover wool. DIL and friend whom you have met, are coming over today and we'll finish the last of the bookshelves and start opening boxes. It's been so long since they were packed I'm sure I've forgotten some of the stuff that probably went in there in addition to books. I foresee several trips to garbage and recycling room in basement.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am churning through my junk, and have now filled yet another 40 gallon drum, in addition to the recycling wheelie bin. I'm really glad I opted for the largest free wheelie bin our council offers for recycling - the smallest one wouldn't be up to the job.

Banner Lady I reckon the craft supplies are the most difficult to sort, partly because you often don't realise the potential of stuff until an idaea pops into your head that demands its use.

Craft stuff is the only stuff I have lived to regret biffing.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9993 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was permanently scarred by the FG getting some bags of fabric meant for quilts down out of the attic & burning them. That was years ago and it still irritates me. I try not to actively resent it, since I'm such a perky cheerful type. Bless my heart. [Big Grin]

He does things like that, sometimes -- he'll get it in his head it's time to clear & clean & coordinate, but it somehow is always MY stuff he works on. Not his.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the craftroom, I am going to work on the same principle as when I de-cluttered the bathroom. Asking myself "Do I need this in here?" has had some interesting results. The item may be expensive but not at all useful to me. So I am trying to put in to the room only those things relevant to the sort of projects I am most likely to work on. And I am going to be extremely selfish, so that I am not babysitting items that belong to other family members.

Yesterday I got much satisfaction out of evicting an electric bass guitar and amp. It was given to B2 by a friend who moved interstate. B2 gave it to B4. B4 has only ever used it as a modelling prop. Ergo it is of no use to me whatsoever. I decided I would at least wrap it in waterproofing before putting it in the toolshed; but overcoming the guilt of doing something like that to an expensive item has been liberating.

"How much is this space worth to me?" was a question I had never seriously considered before. The answer is that it is far more valuable to me for my own purposes, than the value which B2 & B4 put on the guitar and amp; because it cost them nothing to clutter up my house with their junk. For me, this has been quite an epiphany.

Sisters and brothers, I have begun to see the light!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

Sisters and brothers, I have begun to see the light!

[Yipee]

I demolished two more piles today - phew, what a struggle!

Four more days at 2X 15 mins and I reckon I'll have a clutter-free study/office/studio. Wooohooo!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crafters, I definitely sympathize. I have several boxes of wool for making hypothetical Renn Faire costumes, boxes of art supplies, even an electric sander, drill, and a jigsaw.

Has anyone tried those Space Bags they have been advertising? They look like they might be good for fabric and yarn. Also, amidst the hurricane and flooding disasters, I'm thinking they might be good for safeguarding books and papers like wedding albums, yearbooks, deeds and legal papers. Obviously they won't compress these things much, but they might keep water out.

I started the attack on my kitchen. I threw a boatload of out-of-date food. I had bought some plastic drawer carts to keep as extra pantry space, but they couldn't easily handle the weight of cans and jars. So I sort of ignored them. [Hot and Hormonal]

Next I'm going to move a small bookcase from my bedroom where it has a bunch of unorganized CDs laying about it. The CDs will go in a large CD wallet to sit by my newly uncovered LP/CD player. The bookcase will become a little pantry in the kitchen for the cans and jars.

In the mean time I'm working hard to keep up with all the daily stuff: trash, dishes, cat boxes, clearing the frig, etc.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21258 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm kind of losing heart here. It's 7am, so I have 7 hours before I have to go out. A friend (?), said he couldn't see any difference from last week! [Waterworks] I think the problenm is that I have plastic boxes, file boxes and ring binders all over the place so I can sort the stuff directly into them, as well as the rubbish bin and recycling crate, but it was disheartening.

And I still haven't found my cellphone.

Huia

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keep going Huia. My husband can rarely see the difference when I've been cleaning. It's his blindspot.

I have had a lovely day clearing the kids room. I sorted the clothes drawers and the toy boxes. I'm very impressed with the result.

Tomorrow is the bathroom. Our bedroom is still cluttered but I'm having a break from it. About 4 years worth of paper clutter live in there. We started filing 2 years ago, this is the previous 4 yrs stuff. I want to throw it out but I know there is stuff in there I need. Very frustrating.

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
Keep going Huia. My husband can rarely see the difference when I've been cleaning. It's his blindspot.

I tell mine, so that he knows to make the right noises.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11861 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As to noticing the difference, I'm trying not to put that expectation on Mr Nen... then I won't be disappointed when he doesn't. [Biased] He did a sort out of some of his stuff in the study at the weekend; the trouble is, I know he now won't do any more for another six months. I'm trying to stick to the little-and-often principle.

My system is starting to work. [Yipee] Something came up at the weekend and I needed to refer to something I knew I'd kept... went to the file where it should be... there it was. [Big Grin] There's still loads more to do of course.

Someone asked at some point if anyone had regretted their decluttering, and I definitely think it can go too far. I grew up in a small house with five of us in it and no one was allowed to keep anything our mother regarded as unnecessary. I had to get rid of all my school and university work and I'd dearly love to have some of it now. [Frown]

[ 31. August 2011, 20:16: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lyda*Rose, i have used vacuum bags/space bags with great success for yarn and fabric. Although it went badly when the cat scratched a hole in one, they have been otherwise strong and space saving. I found bagging yarn by type in sandwich bags within the big bag, nd keeping a list helped with accessing the yarn later.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 700 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I noticed a business has opened in our locality offering £5 per 10 kilo bag for old clothes and fabrics. Free collection if you have more than 10.

I darkly suspect that I have at least 100kg of bagged stuff already in cupboards, and could generate as much again if I took a Stern Line with the chests of drawers.

It's a nice thought that someone could be induced to come, take it all away, and give me money for it.

Posts: 17234 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I'm kind of losing heart here. It's 7am, so I have 7 hours before I have to go out. A friend (?), said he couldn't see any difference from last week! [Waterworks] I think the problenm is that I have plastic boxes, file boxes and ring binders all over the place so I can sort the stuff directly into them, as well as the rubbish bin and recycling crate, but it was disheartening.

And I still haven't found my cellphone.

Huia

Huia

The problem with the sort of decluttering you are doing rather than a little by little, is that if often seems to get worse before it gets better. Because you have to unpack all the draws and cupboards where stuff has been squirrelled away.

Actually my experience and I am always last minute is at the end it goes surprisingly quickly and you do manage to leave on time albeit with a couple of black sacks stuffed with the last few oddments which you have not had time to sort but with 99% actually sorted.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20573 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:

I tell mine, so that he knows to make the right noises.
Yes, keep it up all. Reading about all your goodness almost makes me feel like I've been good myself!

And I do the same as you Gwai - even going so far as to say things like "Don't the benches look lovely and clean?". He's kind enough to play along. [Smile]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I decided to ignore the less than helpful comments and just keep going, because when I looked at what I had achieved I knew he was - to quote a phrase Erin used in a different context -"Wronger than a wrong thing that is wrong".

Anyway i achieved quite a lot today, and I have enough craft supplies to open a small shop [Hot and Hormonal] :

Huia

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done everyone! I love this thread, reading about people's successes, no matter how small [Axe murder]

In the last couple of weeks I had a lot of small trips away, so there's stuff all over the floor of my bedroom [Eek!] At least I've extracted all the laundry from it and can now start putting stuff away.

I also just bought a mug tree to store some of my jewellery on (much cheaper than one designed especially for necklaces, and there's always a mug tree in every charity shop!)

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

OK I am putting up my hand for help. I have always told B4 that she can have my paper patterns. Some of these are good vintage, some are extremely crap vintage. Some are home made, some are just plain [Projectile] There are crates of these (at least six).

I know she is not in the head space where she could ever cull this inheritance. I also realize that these days you can download just about anything you want off the internet. Next year, she wants to enrol in a fashion design course. What do I chuck? What do I keep? [Help]

Creative brain asking logical shippies for help here.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

PS: She is whippet thin. The patterns I have are in all sizes. Do I just keep the thin classic stuff?

Aaagh!!!!

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does she know exactly how many crates there are? Would she realize if they were down to three? Or if there were sizes missing?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over the years, I've had several blitzes on the pattern collection, and have rarely missed the ones I got rid of. I suspect that daughter unit wouldn't either, especially as she doesn't know what was there to begin with. You could ask her if she wants the lot, which might lead to your storing six crates for the forseeable future, or you could keep what you think she might like, and give the rest to a charity shop. After all, she is getting the post decluttering goodies, isn't she?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 7765 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Banner Lady - is it worth pruning down to just decent classics in all sizes? - on the basis she might want to make for other people as well as herself. So you get rid of anything home-made, tatty or of not so good a make. I'm not sure of Aussie makes, but I'd be tempted to keep Vogue and Simplicity patterns, but I've very happily ditched other makes as horrible to make up and use.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13479 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
PS: She is whippet thin. The patterns I have are in all sizes. Do I just keep the thin classic stuff?

Yes - go for it - keep the thin classic stuff.

[Big Grin]

(ETA - From a completely non logical brain. It's sooo easy when it's someone else's stuff! We should just swap houses and do each other's de-cluttering.)

[ 01. September 2011, 10:24: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:

I also just bought a mug tree to store some of my jewellery on (much cheaper than one designed especially for necklaces, and there's always a mug tree in every charity shop!)

When I moved in I fixed up one of those rails with hooks for kitchen utensils and hang my chunky necklaces on that.

I am very proud of myself and having the holy glow of tidyness - I have a clear and organised study, and I have even tackled the junk in the craft room, now only crafty things allowed.

I concede that I only have 2 years of acculmulation and lots of legitimate storage options, so only molehills to face compared to some of you. But still proud of myself [Yipee]

...For now... the trick is keeping it this way!!

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I snuck up on my boiler cupboard. So glad I did! I can find things again!
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:

Keep the good vintage thin classic stuff. Take a deep breath and discard the rest. She's not likely to use much of it anyway, there's so much available online these days.

I'm working my way through a box of receipts. Supermarket receipts. Charity shop receipts. They go back to over a year ago. [Roll Eyes] What on earth was I thinking of? But I have to sort through the shoeboxful carefully - during one lot of sorting I discovered a £5 note wrapped up in a receipt. [Eek!]

I'm trying to keep my purse clear of current receipts now as well... writing them in an accounts book and discarding any that I know I won't need again. I think the one from taking my kids out for lunch today can probably go. [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Now have almost all shelving organised and started on book boxes yesterday. These were packed by DIL when I left previous home almost four years ago.

I've now done three boxes. Loosely sorting on the way by groups. I found about 20 copies of Scripture in Song, volumes 1-3 held together with sticky tape. Some well out of date and not really desirable books and some I swear I have never seen before. A thin, new book called Home Tanning.

I know we had a place in the bush but tanning?

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

quote:

Aaagh!!!!

NO NO NO NO do not chuck the bigger sizes!!! Send them to me [Big Grin] Do you know how hard it is to find vintage stuff in big sizes? (But seriously. PM me, please!!!.)

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just wondering, how old is 'vintage'?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3045 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Vintage is anything older than 50 years. But I have patterns ranging from the 1950's to 2000. Many are tatty. Some of the home drafted ones have great sentimental value - and are possibly the ones B4 would want to keep. She has quite a knack for pattern engineering (with some consultancy help from Mum).

But I would think at least half of what I have would be of little immediate use to her. I have men's, women's, teen's and children's patterns from across a number of decades.

Ecu: be more specific please. Tell me what size and decades you are interested in, and then I can tell you if I have anything worth sending! As I said, a lot of it is probably rubbish. Who wants to relive the 80's power dressing jackets and suits with shoulder pads in them that a grid iron player would envy?

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did two chests and the sideboard.
Need to do a few mountains upstairs in the next two hours...

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7647 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Amos, for some reason the song "Climb Every Mountain" popped into my mind.

Wonderwoman Tracey is coming in 3 hours and I think we will get to the end of all this, for now at least. At present the living room is full of boxes, both the cardboard filing kind and the plastic ones on wheels with my craft supplies, with other boxes to go to the City Mission's "Great Opportunity Shop" amd "Floyd's Workshop" a group who provide craft activities for vulnerable people.

I am keeping a couple of papers I wrote at uni, because I am proud of them, but a lot of other stuff has gone. My difficulty is that I never know what I might need. Recently I was asked for my results in School Cert, exams I sat in 1969!!! (I had them).

Go well all you other declutterers and reward yourselves for the effort.

Huia

--------------------

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This weekend I intend to slidle up to the sink side of my kitchen and make it clean + tidy. Shall try to post a report here when I'm done.

Wish me luck!

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3079 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Oh Zoey, you are brave - I have been ignoring mine.

I have finished for the weekend, several large black bags to the rubbish transfer station today [Yipee] (Whew!)

Huia

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not exactly decluttering - but we have friends coming to stay next weekend. As we really only "clean" when people are coming (usually surviving on a lick-and-a-promise) we need to Set To and gie the house a good bottoming. But I'm out today, working all week - so it looks like tomorrow is the day to clean 5 floors of house (the cellar needs a bit of a going over from the cat trays) Aaargh! And then, wer have to try to keep the place spick and span for a week... Inconcievable! [Help]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 2996 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Dormouse:
quote:
But I'm out today, working all week - so it looks like tomorrow is the day to clean 5 floors of house (the cellar needs a bit of a going over from the cat trays) Aaargh! And then, wer have to try to keep the place spick and span for a week... Inconcievable! [Help]
Unfortunately, I think that word means what you think it means. [Biased]

I'm sure you'll do fine. It's amazing what a powerful natural drug adrenaline is in the face of company!

Tomorrow my support buddy is coming over. The goal is to make the living room and kitchen to look more than reasonable when I feed her asparagus quiche, pea salad, and strawberry sundae. Then I'll pull out a box at a time and sort while we talk or watch TV.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016