homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Decluttering support (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Decluttering support
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This morning I have to put away the things I brought home from the office (which I'm also clearing). If I could fill another couple of black bags, that would be great.

There. Does that sounds realistic?
I wish my decluttering friend could come over--she gives me the impetus to be ruthless--but I think she'll be doing Saturday-type things.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
De-cluttering incentive - effective, but not recommended:

Get a cat, let it have free access to all areas, and then miss out one month's flea-treatment in mid-summer.

The cats are now dealt with, and I have given everywhere an initial spray of flea-killer.
I then shut all the rooms and am dealing with one room at a time, emptying them of surplus junk, vacuuming, giving everything that will take it a hot machine wash, and thoroughly spraying everything else.
I will leave Mr RoS's bedroom until last, as it is full of stuff that really will have to be thrown, and I have to work up a of of energy to argue it out of the house (and not just into the car).
Unfortunately he doesn't get bitten, so doesn't see it as much of a problem. I'm the one scratching my ankles to shreds!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well now, I'm nearly there re- the study/office/studio.

I think a change of tack is needed today.

I will put out on the landing everything which doesn't have a place and only let it back in when it does.

Boogs - hoping for a clear studio and landing by Monday.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just finished off the dreaded cupboard under the stairs. Coffee machines I didn't even know I had, bicycle parts, and miscellaneous etc etc. I was procrastinating about this until I realised it was less awful than looking for the form I need to fill in. It's all relative. Especially incest*.

* Sorry - getting all the inappropriate jokes out of my system and giving up *$&£^%**ing before heading somewhere teddibly, teddibly, holey.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Razz] Yesterday I worked for 16 hours clearing and cleaning. This is partly because I keep waking up at 3am with more bright ideas about how to create space, can't sleep, so have to get up and have at it.

But the craft room is almost habitable. The spare bedroom is back to being a spare bedroom. I can get to my laundry door again. And the dining room is no longer covered in my projects.

I was so tired by 10pm last night I figured I would sleep at least 6 hours straight. But no, bolt awake at 2.30am again. At this rate I'll be too tired to ENJOY my nice new spaces!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan_of_Quark:
Just finished off the dreaded cupboard under the stairs.

Did you find Harry, by any chance? He's been remarkably quiet since he defeated He-who-must-not-be-named.

[Biased]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
[Razz] Yesterday I worked for 16 hours clearing and cleaning. This is partly because I keep waking up at 3am with more bright ideas about how to create space, can't sleep, so have to get up and have at it.

You're a maniac! This is moving beyond inspirational... Here's to some more sleep, soon! [Smile]

I created more clutter yesterday by buying new curtains for the lounge and dining room. But I am just going to *throw out* the old ones as they're mouldy and were 2nd hand anyway... Oh the ruthlessness!

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been through five boxes full of books today and several more last Friday before I went away for the weekend. Am sorting as I go.

In with the books I found five tapestries stitched by my dad who died in 1999. Just the tapestries, not yet framed. Help!

[ 05. September 2011, 03:38: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't realise the quanitity of stranded cotton and tapestry needles I have [Hot and Hormonal] .

I am keeping a couple of small designs out of the boxes so I can stitch them in the 3 weeks I am away while my house is being fixed. Like BL I keep waking early and thinking about new ideas - however it is too cold (and I like my bed too much) to leap into action at those times.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It has just hit me what kind of habit I have when I am urged into action: I buy scads of cleaning supplies. I have about one or two each of about every cleaner on the market: 409, Soft Scrub, Lysol, Windex, Comet, scrubby sponges, scrubbing brushes, Mr. Clean eraser sponges, several scents of Febreze, etc, etc. I have about three boxes of stuff on the kitchen floor right now with more stuff under the sinks.

Watta dork! [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
It has just hit me what kind of habit I have when I am urged into action: I buy scads of cleaning supplies. I have about one or two each of about every cleaner on the market: 409, Soft Scrub, Lysol, Windex, Comet, scrubby sponges, scrubbing brushes, Mr. Clean eraser sponges, several scents of Febreze, etc, etc. I have about three boxes of stuff on the kitchen floor right now with more stuff under the sinks.

Watta dork! [Disappointed]

So do I!

Time for a moratorium?

[Smile]

ETA: Actually, when I consider it, I do that with a lot of things - if I find something really useful I buy two 'just in case'. I also tend to 'stock up' as if there is about to be a world shortage. Hmmmm - some thinking it through therapy needed here for me!

[ 05. September 2011, 09:16: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie's idea of putting everything out on the landing and only letting back in what lives there.....was tried by me about ten years ago.

When finally we moved house..... the landing boxes were relocated to....our new landing!

Be warned.
Anyone attempting this should give landing space a time limit [Smile]

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had to clear a space for the heating engineer to service the boiler this week.

Instead of just putting the boxes back where they came from we went though them.

Mr C was up at the crack of dawn this moring to get to the local dump site to get rid of a lot of rubbish.

We also have a couple of boxes to go to the charity shop and the jumble sale at church.

We can now get to the boiler without having to move stuff!

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're going to be moving house in about 3 months. To either our own house (please God!!) or another rented one. It will be smaller. I have to declutter. I'm working up to the top floor where we have a library/games room/craft room. I'm allowed to bring two big boxes of material with me, the rest is going. And the box of cottons for patchwork. I can also bring what yarns fit in the trunk.

Which finally means that after years of everyone decluttering to me - I'm repaying the favour!

I've got to deal with the living room and bedroom first though!

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cleared out a biscuit tin of old seed packets.

Some were already empty (kept to remind me what varieties I'd used in previous seasons). Some part used, and kept for the next season (and again, and again...), some never even opened (dating back to one year when I was unwell from early spring to late summer, and the weeds regained control). A couple of packets of sunflower seeds had come free with gardening magazines in 1997! [Eek!]
I emptied all the seeds out, put the paper packets in the recycling bin, the foil lined ones in the rubbish - and all the seeds on the compost heap.
Assuming that a tiny percentage of them will still be viable I should get some interesting weeds pop up in the future, although I might regret adding nigella seeds to the compost!
All I have left are three part-used packets of beans - this year's, so will still be useable next spring.

And I will have the pleasure of choosing a whole fresh veg-plot's worth of new ones when the seed catalogues arrive [Smile]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
Boogie's idea of putting everything out on the landing and only letting back in what lives there.....was tried by me about ten years ago.

When finally we moved house..... the landing boxes were relocated to....our new landing!

Be warned.
Anyone attempting this should give landing space a time limit [Smile]

Good point!

I am chipping away at it - I will report here as soon as the landing is clear, that will keep me motivated!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sophs:
We're going to be moving house in about 3 months. To either our own house (please God!!) or another rented one. It will be smaller. I have to declutter. I'm working up to the top floor where we have a library/games room/craft room. I'm allowed to bring two big boxes of material with me, the rest is going. And the box of cottons for patchwork. I can also bring what yarns fit in the trunk.

Which finally means that after years of everyone decluttering to me - I'm repaying the favour!

I've got to deal with the living room and bedroom first though!

I assume the box of cottons for patchwork is going with you rather than looking for a new home?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'friad so. It's ended up as two boxes, and one of silk scraps. But as they are small boxes and I spent a lot on them I'm keeping them. The Mister can drag them out of my cold dead hands!

On the plus side, 2 bin bags of fabrics for rag/donation/charity projects and 5 small boxes to come with us. I've emptied 3 boxes and only have the pales, reds and randoms to sort out now.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ive a stack 2 feet tall of 100% denim jeans the FG has worn to work -- which means they are a ragged, tattered, burned mess. The only redeeming value is they're (a) clean and (b) cotton.

Somebody somewhere would think it was a fashion statement, I suppose, but the local sheltered workshop type place will take them and sell them
to the rag man.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have a moratorium on buying tea at our house, until we've drunk through the giant stash of fancy leaf tea.

Unfortunately we've run out of basic builders tea. So I nicked a dozen teabags from work, to be specially reserved for the very few visitors we have who are not tea snobs.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a slightly odd bit of decluttering, but I've dealt with the bulging "Change of Address" folder, which to my shame has been building up for more than ten years, without me transferring addresses to my address book. I'm old-fashioned, I don't keep any addresses/phone numbers on computer, and only ones I also have written down on my mobile phone.

Some people have moved at least twice since I last amended my address book. No wonder I was having trouble tracking some people down during a ring-round recently. [Hot and Hormonal]

It's all back in the folder, but the folder is now in the "Paper for Shredding" bag. (A sub-section of the Recycling Box, which goes with me to a shredder occasionally!)

I might get around to doing a seasonal letter and card posting in December now I'm organised for it, something I've not been able to face for the last couple of years for a variety of reasons...

More importantly, should the need arise, it's now clear who needs to be contacted in case of which emergency. This has changed significantly over the last couple of years.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I emptied all the seeds out, put the paper packets in the recycling bin, the foil lined ones in the rubbish - and all the seeds on the compost heap.
Assuming that a tiny percentage of them will still be viable I should get some interesting weeds pop up in the future, although I might regret adding nigella seeds to the compost!

Once, when I was moving out of my parents place I found an old packet of nigella seeds I had bought at a fundraising evebt at school. Rather than throw them away I scattered then in a barren spot in Mum's garden without telling her. When I next visited she showed me the welcome, but unexpected, addition.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pleased to say the 'manic' bit of decluttering is past - but it is pressure of deadlines and houseguests which is driving me on. More family is about to descend upon Chez Banner in the next 24 hours, and I have some liturgical pieces to finish rather urgently. Space is very necessary. But I will be glad when I can sleep properly again. [Snore]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must cull some toys before the boys' birthdays - age 4 next week and age 7 the week after! Throwing out toys that are outgrown is easy when you have kids the same age, but what the 7-yr old is too old for the 4-yr old is just getting interested in, and then there's a 5-month old coming up through the ranks as well.

In any case there's a fair bit of overlap, but I'm struggling to keep it under control. Big boxes are not the answer - stuff is buried, gets broken, or hidden at the crucial moment.

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re losing track of things in boxes:

I find it helpful to use see-through plastic storage tubs. I usually get them at a big-box office store, when they're on sale--e.g., 3 for the price of 2.

A closed cardboard box is closed to my mind--I don't remember what's in it (even if labeled), and I tend to forget about it altogether. But a plastic box lets me see enough to at least have a reminder--books, papers, clothes, etc. And the boxes come in pretty colors, and brighten up the place!
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another great resource book:

"Your Spacious Self: Clear Your Clutter and Discover Who You Are", by Stephanie Bennett Voigt.

It focuses on helping you figure out what emotional entanglement you have with your clutter, why, and how to work with that...even if you start by moving just one paper clip at a time. And there's lots of practical stuff. A comforting, helpful, "nudging you in the right direction" read.
[Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Fine tuning the craft room now, and making small attacks on other areas of the house still desperately in need of help. The brief-attack method while you are waiting for things to happen in the kitchen seems to be working very well. I am grateful for the tip. Thank you! [Overused]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

The landing is now clear - wooodihooo!

[Yipee]

Now for that cupboard full of plastic boxes and lids, none of which seem to match, 'tho I'm sure they do really - I'll save lots of time once that's sorted!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
The landing is now clear - wooodihooo!

[Yipee]

Now for that cupboard full of plastic boxes and lids, none of which seem to match, 'tho I'm sure they do really - I'll save lots of time once that's sorted!

Boogie, I once had a cupboard of mismatched stuff too. Went through it some years ago, trying to convince myself that containers without lids could perhaps be used somehow. The operative word is "perhaps." It never happened so now I keep only containers and lids. So much simpler.

As for my boxes of books... I have gone through almost all the book boxes and have thrown out an amazing amount of stuff which wasn't worth even somewhere like Vinnies or an op shop. I am now able to pitch without regret. Not necessarily old stuff, just books which were really not worth keeping for many reasons. I never thought I could throw out books, but It's nearly finished. They are on piles in my new shelving, vaguely in subjects. Actual sorting and shelving properly will be ongoing for a while.

I realise now that when DIL and I packed them, that I was nowhere near emotionally nor psychologically ready to sort. Which is a shame as those boxes were moved three times in three years.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Loth I agree, but I do think you need to be in the right emotioal space to see that. If I get someone to take my crappy old books to the transfer station they get sent to the city's 'red shed' where all that stuff that isn't up to op shop standard goes. I too have dumped books like that but if they are in a reasonable condition and may be interesting to someone they go to an Op shop - it used to be the Sallies, but both their closest shops have been demolished, so noe it's Vinnies or City Mission.

[Help] Sandra from Fletcher's, who are going to fix all the earthquake damage, has rung and she will visit to fix a date for me to move out. I am nowhere near ready.

Huia - back to the mess.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And you probably never will be Huia. Packing and sorting and dealing with 'stuff' while suffering from severe emotional distress is, well, sort of an oxymoron (if you can follow my odd logic).

You'll get done what you manage to get done and then you simply have to shrug and move on once exterior events take over.

It sucks big time, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Here's a very-long-distance *hug*. To be honest, it sounds like you are coping very well under extremely horrendous circumstances. Don't forget to give yourself full credit for everything you are managing to do and for staying sane (even if it doesn't feel like it).

jlg//dealing with a microcosmic calamity, not your macroscopic one

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thamks jlg - I think you're right. Even as the packers come in to take my stuff into storage I think I'll still be fluttering around. And if the worst comes to the worst I can put stuff in bin liners in the garage (though I would like to sort it so that when I return to my newly painted, crack-free house unpacking will be easier, and tidier).

I just bought myself a bit more time and the agreed date for me to move out is the last week of October or the first week of November.

As well as that I have found this . Staying there for a week will give me a break from the shakes and it's just a 4 hour train ride away, over the Southern Alps*. Now I have found it I have a reward to work towards which will help me through the times when I just want to give up. Self bribery works!

* As long as the Alpine Fault, the longest in the country doesn't decide to join the Canterbury party [Help]

Huia

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooo, that little vacation house looks lovely! I wish I had a self-bribe like that.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Good news - the contractor arranges for the paintwork etc to to be cleaned before painting - I don't have to do it [Yipee]

Looks like 19th of October will be moving day [Help]

Huia

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dragged out the various bursting plastic sacks of old clothes from the hall cupboard, weighed and re-bagged (and did not return to cupboard). I have about 35kg.

I am now going to do a systematic audit of every drawer and wardrobe. If I collect 100kg (and it's not impossible), I could get free uplift from a local recycling business.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Amosling decluttered the shed yesterday while I was at work. A friend is coming today to help us finish decluttering and take it all off to the Recycling Centre.

Moving day is 10 October.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Go Firenze!

Amos, do you hire out the Amosling? Sounds like a helpful person to have around. Good luck with working towards the move.

Huia

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

Thank you all for your encouragement!
We drove a huge white rental van to the recycling centre/waste facility/dump yesterday, packed with stuff--including some of my more hideous sartorial misjudgements and some bits of furniture I'd come to hate.

Today, before the van has to go back, we're moving my office to the new house. Filled two big 'confidential documents' sacks for the shredder there.

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had two friends staying over the weekend. One of them, C, rummaged through my wardrobe and decided on what I had to throw out. There's a large pile waiting in the study for me to take it to the Charity Clothes bin next week. So I've been de-cluttered...However, he keeps saying "Next time we're over, you and I will go shopping!!!" So maybe I won't stay quite so decluttered for long! I think he sees himself as another Gok Wan!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I just gave myself something of an incentive to do some clearing up. I invited my parents round to dinner. [Help]

OK, these are the people I inherited the squirrel habit from, and the earliest possible date for dinner is a month from now, but that's only 4 weeks to excavate the sitting room again... (and to keep it from being re-buried as one/t'other/both of us get all stressed out about life and collapse again). I know what needs doing, it's not as bad as it was 2 months ago, the problem is that we are 2 hoarders in a 1-bed flat, and we both have full-time jobs and busy weekends.

So far tonight, I've managed to get most of the clean dry washing ironed (where needed) and ready to put away instead of inhabiting the futon or banister. Finished library books will go to work with me tomorrow, to be returned on the way home. Now I just need to find 10 min here and there for the non-routine stuff!

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Spent the entire day mucking out Mr RoS's bedroom, and spraying against the fleas that one of the cats has been infested with.

I have played up the flea problem so that I could have a free hand in clearing out a lot of stuff, and the room hasn't been this clean and tidy for years (I still wouldn't like a stranger to see it).
Unfortunately there are now piles of things on the landing - like his double duvet waiting for a visit to the launderette in the next town, as it won't go in my washing machine, some sailing stuff that needs to go in the loft, and a couple more loads for the wash (I did 5 loads today!)

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Excavating the closet; have thrown out a bunch of stuff.
[Smile]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Hit a snag sorting craft supplies. Truly a dangerous thing to do. 60 more projects have now popped into my head. [Ultra confused]

Gaaaaah!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Celtic knotweed that was brave. I usually only work with rewards.

Banner Lady something similar happened to me, but I am being utterly ruthless, well more than I usually am anyway-- sigh.

My helper had sick children this week, so only a fraction of what I was hoping actually got done. Fingers crossed they recover for the weeekend and enjoy their grandparents company.

I have my mind firmly fixed on my incentive, but am also playing with the idea of going further south as well.

Huia

--------------------

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

Our move doesn't have a date yet but I do have a job which will leave only one day a week when all 3 of us are in the house. Added to that housemate 4 (who is moving in with his GF) is unable to leave her house due to his epilepsy being really bad (8 absences in about 10 mins was yesterdays record).

How the hell will I get all this sorted in time?

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
In my back garden, I have a studio. [Big Grin] I know, it's very cool. I just need to properly waterproof the studio before I can store my fabric and wool in there - otherwise, things get mouldy.

Well, thanks to the motivation of this thread, I phoned a handyman to come round and give me a quote for waterproofing the studio! He came round last night, and I haven't got the quote yet, but he didn't think it would be a big job. I have made the first step to decluttering my home!
A month after I posted this, another handyman (first one never got back to me) is in there sorting it all out! I now want to think how I will store things in there.

I like the idea of fabric folded neatly in clear plastic boxes so I can see what's where - ordered in colour so I can get stuff easily. I think I need some shelves to put them on - more money!

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

I have clear plastic boxes for my fabric. I have found out that the really useful boxes are the best as they are indestructible.

I've packed/sorted four boxes of books and am rapidly running out of boxes. We still have boxes that haven't been unpacked from when we moved in here two years ago. On top of the packing I had to deal with a mini crisis when Archie the Enormous Cat jumped on a desk and it slowly collapsed beneath him...Turns out it was being held up by all the boxes underneath it.

We need to buy some more boxes this weekend and make a concerted effort to sort out the Library otherwise it's going to be hell moving all the stuff!

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Now to the bookshelves.

This is hard - I have all my Dad's books, I know I'll never read most of them - but throwing them out is like throwing Dad out.

[Tear]

I think I'll try to do it one book at a time. All ideas of 'It'll be useful one day' must go - only my feelings of attachment to the book need dealing with, all other thoughts are just excuses.

If I can get it down to one bookshelf worth I'll consider it a victory.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck Boogie.

I really really need to declutter the toy boxes before birthdays and christmas come and take over the flat. The thing is, it's not my stuff. And there is only 2 years between my children so just as the eldest grows out of stuff the youngest starts looking interested. We're also hoping to move in a year or so, but we might not have a loft and a garage if that happens so I don't want to put things in storage 'just in case'. This is going to be tough!

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, remember that if you give away the books of your dad's that you are getting rid of, you will be sharing a part of your father with the world. I think that would help me be able to give up the books.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016