homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Decluttering support (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Decluttering support
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I go thru and de-clutter:
Something I just found... I have moved several times in my life, and I figured this was long lost. But it wasn't. In the bottom of a trunk, I found the letter my mum wrote to my dad, in 1962. He was away, so she wrote him about their little girl. And the letter somehow got saved.
I am so happy to have found it. Cried a little too.
[Smile]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Axe murder]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're currently half-way between two moves, so lots of things in storage. Unfortunately, having decluttered lots before the first move, since we're seriously downsizing we seem to have aquired quite a bit more stuff :bigcry:

My current 'To Do - SOON' list stands at:
  • put away clean laundry
    (which involves clearing out the airing cupboard so there's space)
  • tidy the conservatory floor (being the handy craft surface for the two creative Opuses)
  • clear the living room window sill (including the two vases of dying flowers)
  • clean the bathroom
Future projects include sorting out the shelves in the living room, finding home for the burgeoning collection of board games, and decluttering the bookshelf in the conservatory. Oh, and exploring the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

Hopefully now I've outed myself as a clutter-ee (or clutter-er depending on whether I blame it all on Mr B or accept some responsibility [Biased] ) I might manage to make a start...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:

Hopefully now I've outed myself as a clutter-ee (or clutter-er depending on whether I blame it all on Mr B or accept some responsibility [Biased] ) I might manage to make a start...

[Yipee]

Keep reporting back - it's a surprisingly good motivator.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I have cleaned out the entry AGAIN. It looks good - except because it the only space to put things needing relocation it fills up surprisingly quickly. My problem is keeping the laundry clear at the same time, and not simply shifting things from one to the other.

Nirvana = clean entry AND clean laundry!

Laundry is still chockers, but at least the clutter is out of public sight. Sigh.

Still wading through mountains of filing; but I have managed to evict three old pinewood toy chests in the last week, so that there is a bit less furniture in the house. With visitors expected every fortnight until Christmas, time is running out for culling.
[Help]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh, and exploring the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

{Presents Beethoven with lighted pith helmet, gloves, and knee pads.}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I moved here at the very end of March after living several years with son and DIL. In this apartment I have what id called a storage room. It's a bit over 4' square with one corner cut out to carry pipes etc from upstairs.

I put in very sturdy shelving units and us it as craft storage and pantry as cupboards in kitchen are minimal. I sorted wool and sewing supplies severl weeks ago and also shifted some drinks storage.

Today I tackled the complete thing. Moved all the food, amalgamated like things etc. I moved food processor off top shelf where it was placed by DIL who is 10" taller than I am. Much safer for me and it might get some use.

I threw out very little, a couple of packs of pasta which she gave me which just possibly has live protein in them. Didn't want that spreading and I have plenty more. All nicely re-arranged and I know where everything now is.

I left it this long, so I could get an idea of just what was best for my needs.

So not exactly decluttering, but well on the way to it. It's a shame to shut the door now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday I worked from home, so rather than taking a 25minute walk as my commute I took the same time to clear the area around my desk up a bit. It appears that tidying at 8:30am is far easier to me - I emptied one post-move box and got into another one without too much trauma and distress. The shelves perched atop my bureau-style desk are now pleasingly filled with photographs and my lovely deep windowsill is no longer a dumping ground.

Now, if only I could muster the motivation to tidy my desk at work...

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bagged up a bunch of stuff yesterday, and threw it out today!
[Yipee]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Memo to self - have friends come to stay more often to keep yourself tidy!! I managed to clear and clean spare room such that little trace was left of previous chaos before friend came to stay. Lots of things recycled or thrown!!

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Several hours clearing and tidying this afternoon. Relatively little chucked out, but the place looks a whole lot better. Just as well, as the neighbours will be round mid week to let in the electrician - amazing what an incentive that is.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Oh, and exploring the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

{Presents Beethoven with lighted pith helmet, gloves, and knee pads.}
{puts pith helmet etc. in a safe place for later use... [Biased] }

Well, the living room got tidied up (including dead flower removal. I remembered you lot every time I went past without dealing with them, and couldn't hold out against the collective accusing/supportive stares!) - and much to my astonishment, Mr B did his share without any prompting! Must have been that bad, then...!

The airing cupboard got emptied, but is now stacked even higher as a result of this weekend's frenzied attack on the laundry basket. I cleaned the bathroom too - well, did a quick put away and wipe round. The proper clean will have to wait for another day.

And Opus 1's bedroom got tidied to the extent that she found where the cat had done a wee on the floor. That's now been treated with the relevant cleaner (although the bottle is still on the floor next to the patch [Hot and Hormonal] )

The conservatory, on the other hand, is still unexplored territory...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Well, the living room got tidied up (including dead flower removal. I remembered you lot every time I went past without dealing with them, and couldn't hold out against the collective accusing/supportive stares!)

[Yipee]

Success!

quote:

I cleaned the bathroom too - well, did a quick put away and wipe round. The proper clean will have to wait for another day.

I'm not a great Flylady fan - too sickly for me. But her bathroom tip works a treat! I have used it for two years and never 'cleaned the bathroom' since.

I have a pile of cleaning cloths at the ready and every time I get out of the shower or bath I wipe over the whole bathroom (including the floor and behind the loo) with a little cleaning spray - then the cloth goes in the washing basket. It has become as much a part of my morning routine as cleaning my teeth - highly recommended.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I have a pile of cleaning cloths at the ready and every time I get out of the shower or bath I wipe over the whole bathroom (including the floor and behind the loo) with a little cleaning spray - then the cloth goes in the washing basket. It has become as much a part of my morning routine as cleaning my teeth - highly recommended.

[Smile]

It sounds great, but doesn't it take ages? [Eek!] All those bottles on the bath and teeth cleaning equipment on the shelf to move? [Eek!]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

[Smile]

It sounds great, but doesn't it take ages? [Eek!] All those bottles on the bath and teeth cleaning equipment on the shelf to move? [Eek!]
All bottles live in a basket and tooth cleaning stuff in a cup thingie. When we had lots of people sharing a bathroom we had a basket each.

It takes about three minutes as I have a well oiled routine which doesn't change.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It takes about three minutes as I have a well oiled routine which doesn't change.

[Smile]

Three minutes to clean a bathroom. Respect. [Overused]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Forget the respect. Plane ticket and an invitation.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of *course* a friend turned up to return some DVDs last night with the house as a complete pig sty!

Was inspired to doing some tidying/ cleaning once he'd gone - a quick once over the bathroom, put away the washing, tidy up piles of misc stuff including washing week-old workout gear!

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Boogie and I live in the same country; it will be very convenient for her to visit me. [Big Grin] *Puts kettle on*

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and each time I've seen it in "recent threads" it has inspired me....

Once I get going I'm fairly good at decluttering (I used to have boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of books.... I don't anymore [Big Grin] ) and the last few weekends I've really been "nesting" and getting our house sorted. Most rooms now don't really have any of the big "to be sorted" piles or boxes from when we moved.

The thing that makes the biggest difference to me is to have a "space for everything" as then it stops the dreaded piles of "stuff" forming. We now own half of ikea, but things are sorted and are able to be put away. I may have taken it a little too far - the trays in the lounge are all labelled (Teacups toys have to live in the lounge as her room is tiny, we have a small house), and the airing cupboard has labelled bits on the shelf for different sheets/ towels etc. It has really helped though.

I still have some craft and photo bits to sort out but I keep trying to reminding myself that if I haven't used them in 5 years I really don't need them.

Our house is small and storage is at a premium so I'm having to move from a "just in case it might be useful" mentality (my family always keep bits of ribbon in case of future packing etc) to an "I need the space I will have to buy xyz if I need it".

The house looks so much better already though, and is so much easier to keep clean!!!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

I'm on my way [Biased]

Seriously, I timed myself again today to be sure I wasn't exaggerating. 3 minutes.

Three secrets-

1) The pile of cloths - I would never do it without a cloth and squirty stuff handy.
2) Making it a routine just like tooth brushing so that it takes no thought whatever.
Bath, towel on, pick up cloth, squidge squirty stuff, wipe (Bath, sink, walls, surfaces, floor, toilet - in that order, cloth in wash basket, zip round loo with loo brush, done) 3 minutes.
3) Do it every day so that it's quick - dirt etc never builds up.

Go-on, I challenge you to the three minute bathroom boogie!

[Big Grin]

[ 24. November 2011, 07:38: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the sound of the bathroom boogie. Good to know the decluttering continues.

The movers, blokes who have their priorities right, unpacked and set up the computer and the washing machine, which is a start and Tracey (aka "wonderwoman") is coming over today to help me remember where I put stuff [Hot and Hormonal] . I want to start by finding the electric jug as boiling water on the stove takes forever.

I'm a bit limited as to what I can do in the kitchen as the builder missed the crack in the cupboard and has to come back, so it's no use unpacking stuff there - also there was a muddle in painting the kitchen (who would have thought the two paint ranges I specified would both have a colour called 'Milan'?). The wrong colour is a very pretty lilac, which I'd keep if it was in any other room, but it screams at the brick red lino.

Anyway, those problems are being sorted, I need to concentrate on setting the house up in such a way that I limit the potential for clutter, without becoming totally obsessed.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Anyway, those problems are being sorted, I need to concentrate on setting the house up in such a way that I limit the potential for clutter, without becoming totally obsessed.

With you on that one, Huia. Since moving in here seven months ago, I'm working hard on that one. Have pretty well gone through things now .

I'm trying to set new habits in motion as unfortunately I now have no one else around to blame for any mess or clutter.

Just re-read that. "Unfortunately" works in at least two ways, both true. Still am enjoying being in my own pace with things set up to suit me.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and each time I've seen it in "recent threads" it has inspired me....

Hey - welcome to the thread Emma Louise [Big Grin]

My niece lived on a narrow boat until very recently. She was the messiest person I ever knew until she moved on to the boat a few years ago - now she is sooooooo sorted and tidy.

My Mum and Dad had an incredibly tidy house and a place for everything. Whenever they left a room, they made sure they left it tidy. Dad said they were like this because they were lazy and hated tidying up. I'm beginning to understand what he meant (I'm a slow learner!).

Our sitting room is now a tidy, sorted space - and has stayed that way for long enough to know it's a permanent state. I love it. The kitchen is nearly there too. My next room is the utility room - because it's 'unseen' it becomes a 'hot spot' for clutter.

So my next project is to get it sorted, then tidy up something every time I go through there. I'll let you know!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Hgjules
Apprentice
# 16796

- Posted      Profile for Hgjules   Email Hgjules   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello Everyone,
We are nearing the end of a long house extension (builders moved in in April and should have been done in September...) anyway despite the stress this is causing I am finding it a great opportunity to set up rooms in a leaner fashion than before.
I have somehow filled five or six charity bags with unwanted clothes (you know the ones you keep cos one day you'll fit back into them?!) and am now going through boxes of stuff heading either for the new study or the bin.
It feels great! Just need Spouse to recognise this new me instead of moaning about my hoarding tendencies. I know about them, hence this tiring yet necessary slog!
Thanks for this thread, it may help....although all it's done so far is keep me out of those boxes for a few more minutes!

--------------------
Doesn't do decisions

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hgjules:
I have somehow filled five or six charity bags with unwanted clothes (you know the ones you keep cos one day you'll fit back into them?!)

Go for it! I am current world record holder (well, round here anyway) at 16 bags (= 80kg).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Confession [Hot and Hormonal] ) I have boxes of clothes in the loft neatly labelled with the weight I was when I outgrew them - 10 stone, 10 1/2 stone, 11 stone, 11 1/2 stone, 12 stone, 12 1/2 stone, 13 stone, 13 1/2 stone on the theory that one day I will lose weight and work my way back down through them.

The 10 stone clothes have been in that box since 1993.... [Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hgjules
Apprentice
# 16796

- Posted      Profile for Hgjules   Email Hgjules   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh I've clearly got a way to go, Firenze!

I was so adamant that it was a waste of money not to keep these clothes....it's also true that I wanted them to spur me on to lose weight. They didn't....but at least have been passed on now, hopefully to folk who don't need or even have several cupboards to store their clothes in.

Off to clear the spare room now so guests can actually sleep there one day!

--------------------
Doesn't do decisions

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

Just want to say that you probably wouldn't want to wear clothes 20 years out of style. Just sayin'... Be strong!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh I dpn't know Pete, my Pop alaways said that if he kept a suit long enough it came back into fashion [Smile] . I suppose if I had lived through two world wars (and their shortages) along with a major economic depression I would be more careful about throwing things away.

Today I'm unpacking and possibiy culling more books. I'm looking hard at the needlework stuff as I'd have to live to be eleventy hundred to do even a fraction of it.

Huia

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

Just want to say that you probably wouldn't want to wear clothes 20 years out of style. Just sayin'... Be strong!
You're assuming that they were in style 20 years ago; I've never quite got the hang of "in style" and am generally statisfied with "clean."
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hgjules
Apprentice
# 16796

I'm satisfied with the fact that they fit, which often has nothing to do with the prevailing trends.

I do wash them too, obviously [Biased]

Spare room about two-thirds done...it's at that yucky bitty stage now where outstanding things are small and require checking and maybe even reading.....which takes time!

--------------------
Doesn't do decisions

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keep clothes for long enough and they become "vintage" (rather than out of date) - which gives them far more desirability.

Thats my theory. And I'm sticking to it, in the hope that one day I will find it to be true!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
quote:

I'm on my way [Biased]

Seriously, I timed myself again today to be sure I wasn't exaggerating. 3 minutes.

Three secrets-

1) The pile of cloths - I would never do it without a cloth and squirty stuff handy.
2) Making it a routine just like tooth brushing so that it takes no thought whatever.
Bath, towel on, pick up cloth, squidge squirty stuff, wipe (Bath, sink, walls, surfaces, floor, toilet - in that order, cloth in wash basket, zip round loo with loo brush, done) 3 minutes.
3) Do it every day so that it's quick - dirt etc never builds up.

Go-on, I challenge you to the three minute bathroom boogie!

[Big Grin]

heheheheh--

The main problem for us is living in a 100 year old house with no closets to speak of, no linen closet, and no medicine cabinet. The challenge is finding a place to store all those necessaries instead of having them end up on various surfaces in the bathroom! [Eek!]

--------------------

Phoebe Esperanza
Apprentice
# 12767

- Posted      Profile for Phoebe Esperanza   Email Phoebe Esperanza   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My problem with clothes is remembering the people who made them. The knitters and smockers who are now with God left their handicrafts for me to hold on to. Certainly there is another way to look at this, but I still hold on to them. Have thought of making a quilt or blanket from all those sweaters and socks---but then they'll just hang out till I get the courage to cut them up...
Posts: 1 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've found with "special" clothes from when I was smaller or from a style I wouldn't wear anymore I was ok if I had photos of them. I laid them out nicely on the bed so I still had the memories and then gave them away!

If they're not in a state to give away and be reused than a small patch of the material could be kept.... would still declutter!

LC - over here the older houses are much much bigger than the newer houses. We have a newer house so more boxier - no such thing as a laundry room, closets or even large rooms here either!!!

We are buying a cabinet to put on the wall in the bathroom so that medicine can be stored out of small people's reach.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I threw out my old teddy bear. [Waterworks] It had to be done - he's looked terrible for years and maybe letting go of him will enable me to remember his past glory. And I threw out the diaries I kept during the break-up of my marriage. I hope they've served their purpose.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

The main problem for us is living in a 100 year old house with no closets to speak of, no linen closet, and no medicine cabinet. The challenge is finding a place to store all those necessaries instead of having them end up on various surfaces in the bathroom! [Eek!]

Baskets - the answer is baskets [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Keep clothes for long enough and they become "vintage" (rather than out of date) - which gives them far more desirability.

Thats my theory. And I'm sticking to it, in the hope that one day I will find it to be true!

It could - my friend makes a living selling vintage clothing!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
I threw out my old teddy bear. [Waterworks] It had to be done - he's looked terrible for years and maybe letting go of him will enable me to remember his past glory. And I threw out the diaries I kept during the break-up of my marriage. I hope they've served their purpose.

Bit of a tangent here, sorry. QLib, I was a bit like you and had things marked in diary and supposedly reminders to tell me of past stuff. However, when there was a glitch in the system and nothing showed, I realised a week later that the anniversary of that particular major thing had passed me by and I hadn't thought about it. So I wiped it. I saw this as progress.

Yesterday I threw out a jumper which had seen very much better days. I put it on because the weather in Sydney has been on the chilly side for Sydney. Low teens Celsius although it was 38 last week. I've had this jumper for very many years, getting on for twenty years and it's seen a lot of use. It's been mended and I've patched the elbows. However, when I caught a glimpse of myself in mirror, I decided it was no longer good even for slumming around at home by myself. Ripped it off, found a newish cardigan and put jumper deep into rubbish. Glad I got to it before DILs saw me. They would have done the same.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Baskets - the answer is baskets [Smile]
I'd say something covered 'cos open baskets collect dust. You can buy wall mounted cabinets.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:

It could - my friend makes a living selling vintage clothing!
Yes, but generally it's only okay to wear 'vintage clothing' if you weren't around for it the first time! (Or you style if very carefully).

[ 27. November 2011, 20:05: Message edited by: Eleanor Jane ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

baskets we've got. They sit, filled up with crap, on the countertop. [Waterworks] Cabinets there's no place to hang. Some bright person decided the bathroom (!) needed a) 1 huge mirror and b) FOUR (count 'em, FOUR) large windows which are exactly at eye level for our neighbor--whose driveway is four feet away from the bathroom. Why?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many years ago I lived in an apartment with a bathroom window that looked right out on the street. I had a dark shade hanging right up against the window, and a curtain closer to the room itself -- the window have a very wide windowsill which worked perfectly for holding shampoo bottles, cleaners, etc. -- the shade blocked it from the outside, and the curtain blocked it from the inside. (I supposed I could even have put some shelves in there.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Before I started doing the morning bathroom boogie I culled the bathroom bottles.

You won't believe the number of bottles/lotions/potions I had that I simply never used.

So I waited 'till I was in the right mood - then threw them all away! Now I'm utterly ruthless - if it's not used, it's not allowed in.

I find that this de-cluttering lark 99% in the mind. Now I need to use the same strategy on the untility room - which is still a total junk yard. [Roll Eyes] My problem is that I'm such an 'all or none' person - once a room is sorted I can keep it that way, but getting it sorted is haaaard!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
(I supposed I could even have put some shelves in there.)

When I lived in a very small flat, I shelved the bedroom window and filled it with plants - it increased privacy and obscured the view of the tenements opposite - and if ever a sunbeam managed to sidle down that far, the light through the leaves was pretty.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Came home last night to find my lovely husband had totally cleared out two storage containers from under our bed!

That relieved my mind somewhat as I've been stressed about how much there is to do.

We've booked one way tickets to England as of late Jan! Eek! A whole house to sort and distribute to various places... [Eek!]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

We've put rice paper privacy film over two of the windows, but it gets so bloody dark here every winter that I can't stand to do away with whatever light we get, however stupid the source. To lose a window would be an unthinkable sin. Did I mention I've got seasonal affective disorder?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
We've put rice paper privacy film over two of the windows, but it gets so bloody dark here every winter that I can't stand to do away with whatever light we get, however stupid the source. To lose a window would be an unthinkable sin. Did I mention I've got seasonal affective disorder?

[Votive] Lamb

I am trying to envision some kind of shelving set up with a light box incorporated. Crazy to block out light then replace it - but sometimes the craziest ideas are the best! [Cool]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm at the most messy phase of sorting out my study, having needed the two armchairs from there in the sitting room yesterday it has created a bit of space...and revealed all the dirt, bits of paper, things saved "in case they come in useful" and empty boxes for mobile phones, computers, cameras and associated stuffery...as well as files for which I have no home, pretty totes, AAARRRGGGG!!!!!

My desk is piled high with some of this that has been moved to get at other things, and I'm at the most discouraged phase.
Right, having got that lot off my chest, I'm going to get on with it a bit more.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Plough on through St Everild - it will get easier, though I find a small treat at such times works wonders. [Smile]

Huia

[ 30. November 2011, 19:04: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016