homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Decluttering support (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Decluttering support
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The boxes of unsorted papers and unfilled filing boxes are now all in a corner of the bedroom. TP tells me he really can't help as I will need to look at everything. This is true. Because he is totally ruthless and will not keep anything of sentimental value whatever. My father's army discharge papers would be tossed - yet he will keep the rainfall , the temperature each day and what music he listened to in 1975 because it's "interesting statistics".

We do not think alike. But I tell him I can't start until he creates a filing taxonomy for me. Because my filing systems are never logical, and I know it will eventually drive him nuts.

It's like the stand-off at OK Corale!!! [Help]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm pausing for a break, but on my day off (I had to cancel lessons because our car needed to go into the garage) I have prepared my study to receive a guest (it's the second guest room).

This involved opening out the folding bed, finding dust bunnies, moving chairs, thinking that my craft shelves looked messy, which led to moving a lot of teaching stuff, which led to moving a lot of books, which led to filing a lot of papers (a lot of it in the recycling box!), which led to...and so on. It's nearly finished and I'm feeling really quite satisfied by the result.
My "in trays" still need going through, but I'm not sure I can face that this week! (They're not really in trays, as that implies that something goes "out" again. Things just loiter in my in trays...)

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm really enjoying that all of downstairs is now "decluttered" and things have places. The house looks so much tidier and it is much easier to keep clean. After a few hours or toddler the house still looks mad but it is so much easier to tidy up again after. My next task will be to get on !top of cleaning. I'm really bad at anything that has to be done regularly!!

Next task is "decluttering" photos stored digitally and to make up some books for each year of teacups life. I also have a corner on my deskspace that needs some decisions made about it.

We even have a list of things in the loft now - mainly camping stuff so I don't have to think its all there hiding above me.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hgjules
Apprentice
# 16796

- Posted      Profile for Hgjules   Email Hgjules   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh blimey my sister is coming to stay tomorrow! Spare room looks like, well I'm not sure what it looks like since it disappeared under all the stuff not deemed worthy enough to move into the new study. It's gonna be a long night!

--------------------
Doesn't do decisions

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In-laws coming to stay in a week, so the spare room got a makeover today. It looks good - but there is still too much to sort and I know there are not enough days to do it in before Christmas.
However progress is being made.

Baby steps. Baby steps....

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doing batches of sorting and throwing away. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pete arriving in less than a week - the room is repainted but otherwise a bit of a repository for random items - I must do something about it BEFORE next Wednesday!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've startd cleaning and decluttering as I'm moving house next year and want to only take things I actually want! The place is a complete tip though. Husband has a couple of days off and I was planning to get stuff done but it's so overwhelming [Frown]

Baby steps. The kitchen is nearly done surfaces only, but hey) so I will finish that today. I don't know when I will get the courage to start on the lounge or our room.

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Pete arriving in less than a week - the room is repainted but otherwise a bit of a repository for random items - I must do something about it BEFORE next Wednesday!

Are you calling Pete a random item? [Paranoid]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Winter has hit -- well, as much winter as we get around here, temps near freezing overnite & highs in the 50's F expected today.

My usual haphazard methods of storing out-of-season clothing means I can't find my big fluffy red cape/coat. Dang it.

Top that with the World's Worst Cold-Sinus Revolt in progress -- I want to wear a coat, but I can't take the bending and stooping and dust-kicking-up that will be involved in unearthing my coat.

*Sigh*

I guess it's layering time. And I'll keep my lab coat on all day at work. Usually I'm the hot one, but illness can mess up an inner thermostat.

Speaking of work, I shifted to a different desk/workstation yesterday. Talk about kicking up dust. I clean up my territory regularly, but "moving" always finds unexpected dust. No wonder I'm feeling so much worse today.

Project @ work today, between all the usual daily duties, will be shredding or storing papers I unearthed. Right now it's in a big ol' cardboard box by my desk. Talk about horrible clutter potential, if I don't get it gone immediately.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Started the lounge [Smile] Just one corner at a time. It's looking better already. Any flat space in our house gets filled very quickly. How do you keep them clear??
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:
Started the lounge [Smile] Just one corner at a time. It's looking better already. Any flat space in our house gets filled very quickly. How do you keep them clear??

[Yipee]

Whenever I leave a room I tidy it up - completely.

Sounds hard, but when it becomes a habit it's OK. I am not naturally tidy in the least, so this habit has taken me a ~~~~ l o n g ~~~~ time to get into.

But it works!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I'm sure if it's done so frequently as that, it doesn't take so long -- not much to tidy. But I can understand it taking a long time to develop the habit. Sometimes I wish I could develop a teeny tiny mild case of OCD, so I could feel driven to clean but turn it off before it became an unhealthy preoccupation. A friend with OCD is like that about cleaning and tidying. She will become wealthy if she ever figures out how to bottle it in small doses.

As for keeping horizontal surfaces clear, the FG's solution at time has been to get rid of the horizontal surfaces. Not always practical, that. ;D

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
[QB] . A friend with OCD is like that about cleaning and tidying. She will become wealthy if she ever figures out how to bottle it in small doses.
[QB]

I've long suspected that's what Martha Stewart did, though she may not realize she has OCD (if she does).

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Janine, glad my typos have been inspirational (& your pm box is CLUTTERED, my dear).

FYIW, Martha Stewart is a seriously scary woman. At least to me.

I love festalling the house for Christmas, and try to do something different every year. This year was the first time I have had no children in the house to help, so things were a bit more streamlined than usual, which is no bad thing. But I have one acquaintance who is so over the top with Christmas clutter that if you visit her home there is no place to even sit down. It's like Santa land in there. And she can't stop herself, buying more boxes of Xmas bling every year.

This was a bit of a warning to me, because I like to pick up a few quality bits in the January sales each year, to add to the Christmas collation too. Then it's a nice surprise come December to unpack them and have fun with them. But I realize that if I add, I must also take away, so I now have a box of Christmas crafty stuff which is where all the sadder looking bits end up. These get used up whenever I am asked to help make table decorations for a function, or want to make a present look very festive. This year I used old tinsel and odd Christmas bows to make a sack full of soft toys look like Christmas toys. These are now adorning the branches of the cathedral giving tree, and the Sunday School children had a lot of fun putting them there.

My challenge is not to end up with TWO craft boxes of stuff, but to use as much as I can up before December 25.

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Sometimes I wish I could develop a teeny tiny mild case of OCD, so I could feel driven to clean but turn it off before it became an unhealthy preoccupation. A friend with OCD is like that about cleaning and tidying. She will become wealthy if she ever figures out how to bottle it in small doses.

Actually, OCD doesn't always work like that. I have OCD, and one of the things I obsess over is cleanliness but my house doesn't always look immaculate. The need to clean with OCD is most often about removing a contamination of some sort, so often ordinary household mess will not make me "need" to clean because it's just messy or dirty, it's not "contaminated". For me, contaminants are mostly bodily fluids of some sort, so when I managed to walk over some blood on the pavement the other day, my shoes / long skirt were contaminated, but just having dirty washing up in the sink is not contaminated, it's just messy. Obviously it varies from person to person, but it's a common misconception that "you have OCD so your house must be immaculate" because the two don't necessarily go together.

What I do have, is a fairly low tolerance for things being disordered and that is linked to OCD. I will need to straighten things out much sooner than other people, and hate things being disorganised, but they can be messy, as long as there is an underlying order to the messiness.

The other thing i'd say about OCD is that it can be incredibly debilitating, so don't wish you had it, because even after therapy it still makes every day a challenge.

To prove a point, my house is a disgusting mess at the moment and I will be spending tomorrow rectifying this. I do find that having a routine really helps - I change the bed linen on Tuesdays (my day off,) wash the towels and the bath mat on Sundays, try to clean the kitchen sides every day (though this has been neglected recently) and try to put a load of washing on every morning so it doesn't build up. things like that really help.

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here is a cautionary tale about over filling your loft! Jeremy Vine is discussing it on Radio Two this afternoon.

"An Essex pensioner has spent 11 hours pinned to his bed after his ceiling collapsed under the weight of 7,000 yachting publications.

Richard Phillips, 77, had stored 150 boxes of magazines in his loft and firefighters found him buried under them but unhurt, after he was discovered by his next-door neighbour in Goldhanger."

[Eek!]

crumbs!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Happy New Year de-clutterers!

Ohhhhhh what a mess my house is after the Christmas festivities!

Where to start?

I think I will start by putting the kettle on and making a list...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Richard Phillips, 77, had stored 150 boxes of magazines in his loft and firefighters found him buried under them but unhurt, after he was discovered by his next-door neighbour in Goldhanger."

Ah. Our loft contains 120 or so boxes of books... However, they are spread one deep and whenever we get those annoying calls about roof insulation I can tell them we have it covered.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off to town tomorrow with a couple of bags of books and videos that I don't think I'll want to read or watch again (or if I do I'll be able to pick up another copy easily).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some decluttering goals for 2012:

• Tidy and clear out / rearrange all kitchen cupboards. They have been used in the same way for 5 years, there must be a more efficient use of space.
  • Make better use of the storage in the dining room. After all, there's loads.
  • Declutter THE Cupboard. You know, the one I have to shut quickly before everything falls back out again and where all the junk I don't know what to do with lives (I call it my "Monica Cupboard" after an episode of Friends).
  • Clean up the Balcony. It used to be a wonderful place to sit in the summer with loads of veg growing. Now it's a repository for dead plants. I want to grow stuff again this year and will need to get rid of the crap first.

My house isn't desperately cluttered (one of the traits of OCD is to hoard and I know I have a tendency to do that so i'm careful about it) but those areas could all be worked on. So there they are. I'll update with how I get on...

--------------------

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
De-cluttering goal for 2012 - get my life down to 37 kg including two suitcases! [Eek!]

We're emigrating to England in about three weeks so we're in full cleaning, sorting, selling, giving away, moving, loaning mode. Managed to sell/ give away about 1 1/2 boxes of books. Have 8 boxes left...

It's all a bit mad! Better get back to it...

Cheers,
EJ

[ 06. January 2012, 23:16: Message edited by: Eleanor Jane ]

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
De-cluttering goal for 2012 - get my life down to 37 kg including two suitcases! [Eek!]

How exciting! Hope to see you at a future shipmeet.

When I moved here I had the luxury of leaving heaps of stuff in my parents' house (also my house) - but now they are moving house! And I have to try and declutter my stuff from the other side of the globe [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
We're emigrating to England in about three weeks so we're in full cleaning, sorting, selling, giving away, moving, loaning mode. Managed to sell/ give away about 1 1/2 boxes of books. Have 8 boxes left...

Cheers,
EJ

I don't know if you have Charity Barns up there but they take all kinds of stuff.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I guess it is exciting, but I'm mostly stressed at the moment. Once my husband has a job then I can relax a bit 'cos I'll know we'll actually get to stay instead of doing all this then having to come home! (Unlikely, but possible!)

Never heard of Charity Barns. Our church has a Op Shop that isn't too fussy about what it takes so piles of stuff are going there, and we're selling things on-line (some for $1 reserve to get rid of them)

We managed to take a trailer and car-load out to my parents/ my shed (long story) but my brother is being a bit 'dog in the manger'ish as he's taken over nearly the whole shed as a car workshop. I do own 1/4 of the property so I feel I ought to be able to store some stuff there!

We're getting rid of nearly half our furniture and we've managed to loan quite a bit of it to friends, so that's good.

Anyhoo, I should get working... two and a half weeks to go!

Cheers,
EJ

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck, Eleanor Jane!

Fortunately family etc. were very considerate with Christmas presents for the Opuses - none of the usual Large Items appeared, as they're all familiar with our lack of space to put anything. New Year's Eve I put my foot down, and *made* Op 2 tidy her room (a job she'd been successfully putting off for a couple of months! [Eek!] ). This then spurred Op 1 into tidying up too - although it's taken rather longer to get hers done with anything like the same thoroughness. One room is properly decluttered now, though - perhaps I should pay Op 2 to attack the rest of the house, since she appears to be the only one of us with any aptitude for de-cluttering!

Our next move is starting to loom large - although we're not quite trusting enough to be certain it'll happen when it should... I do need to phone the movers to arrange quotes etc. though. Maybe that will be what finally gets me to sort the Consevatory... [Disappointed]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Procrastinating on the Ship instead of sorting...

I started to make a list of clothes to take and clothes to ship over to England for spring/summer. There's so much not on the list! Have to bring myself to let go of stuff and look forward to lovely new things (but maybe less of them, and better quality). Oh, the pain of getting rid of shoes I *love* but are just a bit too un-comfy! [Waterworks]

I think (hope) clearing out my clothes has taught me not to 'settle'. If an item doesn't quite fit in some way, needs hand-washing or ironing, isn't comfy (especially for shoes) or just isn't quite the right thing then it's not going to get much use and will just take up space. I need to be a bit more discerning in my shopping, I think.

It has been quite nice to Op-shop things like 2/3 of my kitchen implements and throw out badly chipped plates. We managed to fill a huge skip with junk from under our house/ around our property (much of it left by the previous owners). It's very nice to be all clean in our garage and under the deck.

Cheers,
EJ

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm really struggling with this one just now and have to keep reminding myself that it's do-able, taken in small steps. Losing my brother at the end of November has meant starting to take over some official things to do with my mum and I'm surrounded by mountains of paperwork that I don't know how to conquer. [Frown] I want to feel I control them rather than they control me but I feel pretty overwhelmed at the moment. [Frown] That's before I start on anything that's in the drawers and cupboards... and let's not even think about the loft... [Eek!]

[Help]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

[Votive] [Votive]

Many prayers for you Nenya - you've got a lot of stressful stuff going on.

Maybe some small steps at decluttering would help lessen the stress? Maybe just making one clutter-free area to escape to?

My utility room is a total wreck (again [Roll Eyes] ) Tidying up elsewhere just means all the 'No idea where to put it' stuff ends up in there.

I think I'll try a metre at a time (it's a big room!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Conservatory goes from bad to worse, but on the bright side I cleared the top of my computer desk yesterday. The shelves still await attention, but the big pile of papers that kept threatening to fall down the back or all over the floor in front are now GONE! (To the dining table, where they await further processing - i.e. the Opuses taking them to their rooms. Deadline this evening, I think, then anything remaining goes in the recycling...)

--------------------

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[Votive] [Votive]

Thanks for saying that, Boogie. I sometimes feel I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'll try the small area at a time - indeed there's no other way really, if I think about the whole thing I'm simply overwhelmed - and I keep pegging away at a tray of papers I've got on my breakfast bar. It never seems to diminish but I guess if I hadn't kept at it it would be touching the wall units by now. [Biased]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Well, Christmas, builders, guests, and the return of one adult daughter to the family home means Chez Banner is now quite chaotic again. SO much to sort, and still not enough time to do it. It would be great if I could turn the rest of life off while I tackle one thing at a time, but life just doesn't work like that.

Renovation work means we are playing musical rooms, which also doesn't help. To top it off, some clothing I had packed away, and which belongs to another family member, has gone mouldy. I have spent two days washing and treating whatever is resurrectable out of the pile; but some gorgeous garments will have to be tossed. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:
[Votive] [Votive]

Thanks for saying that, Boogie. I sometimes feel I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'll try the small area at a time - indeed there's no other way really, if I think about the whole thing I'm simply overwhelmed - and I keep pegging away at a tray of papers I've got on my breakfast bar. It never seems to diminish but I guess if I hadn't kept at it it would be touching the wall units by now. [Biased]

That's no molehill! You've probably only just begun your grieving (for your brother *and* your mother) and I totally know how you feel about some of this complex paperwork!

I think you could do with clear priorities and seeing if you can let go of the things that aren't urgent. When my Mum died, in the first month or so I treated myself like I had a bad cold or something. I did no housework, food shopping, exercise etc... I just cocooned myself on the couch as much as possible and dragged myself to work for about 6 hours a day. (Work didn't appreciate that, but screw them!).

After a bit I started picking things up one at a time and I felt a lot better.

We're *still* dealing with the awful aftermath of her very complex estate. Right now I'm procrastinating over finding out how to deposit cheques made out to her and close her bank account... Difficult and unpleasant!)

Cheers,
EJ

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

I have made no progress whatsoever on my decluttering goals.

I have made a start with something that I think helps streamline my house and reminds me to declutter...

At work I keep a notebook with my to-do list for the week on one page, and notes for the week / phone numbers to remember etc etc on the other page. I started this system in September (having worked here for 5 years) and it works wonderfully. It is revolutionary, it has changed my life.

So i've decided to keep a similar notebook for my home use - it has a "to do" list, a "to mend / make" list and a "long term projects" list on each page. I love crossing things off lists - sometimes I write extra things i've done onto my list just to have the pleasure of crossing it off, so this system works really well for me. It sort of feels like a decluttering of the mind, which helps with the decluttering / general upkeep of my home...

One of the "long term" things to do was to re-seal my bath / shower and paint the tiles again because it was all chipping off. I did that this weekend and am feeling very pleased with myself for having tackled one of those jobs that isn't hard, but somehow has lots of psychological baggage attached which means that you have these mental barriers you need to get over before you can do the task. Does anyone else ever have that?

How is your decluttering going? I love reading about what other people are doing to their houses and have missed this thread which I found languishing at the bottom of page two...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The psychological baggage thing is something I have a lot of the time - and then I get around to actually DOING the stuff and it takes 5 minutes and then I get cross with myself and resolve never to do it again - until the next time!

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
How is your decluttering going?

Very very slowly. [Roll Eyes]

I'm facing up to the fact that I'm actually scared of paperwork and it's all to do with the way I was brought up (hello, psychological baggage) so trying to deal with it is a big thing for me. It all seems to take at least five times as long as I feel it should.

Your shower looks amazing, LMM. [Overused] What did you use on the grout and sealant to get rid of the black mould that was ingrained? We have similar problems in our bathroom and dealing with it is like King Canute trying to hold back the tide.

I had great ideas about the wonderful state the house was going to be in by the time Nenlet1 gets married in April. I'm having to revise my ideas and trying not to get stressed about it... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

quote:
I'm facing up to the fact that I'm actually scared of paperwork and it's all to do with the way I was brought up (hello, psychological baggage) so trying to deal with it is a big thing for me. It all seems to take at least five times as long as I feel it should.

I know what you mean - for a long time I hated doing anything to do with finances because it was a huge source of stress - my Mother would go white at the sight of a visa bill and that kind of conditioning as a child is hard to get around as an adult. Hope you manage to do something about it. Small steps are best and I find that the first step is the hardest, and once you've made that momentous leap, it's often downhill from there...

quote:

Your shower looks amazing, LMM. [Overused] What did you use on the grout and sealant to get rid of the black mould that was ingrained?

Thank you! I ripped all the old sealant out completely, nothing was ever going to shift that mould i'm afraid. I used anti-mould sealant to relplace it. I'll see how it gets on! The grouting I used a Ronseal Grout pen. It didn't remove the mould (again, nothing would have) but it sort of painted over it. I had to bleach it properly first to ensure it was dead so it wouldn't continue to spread under the paint. Lakeland do a mould removing spray that they claim works brilliantly and i've had good results with their products before. Good luck!

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Things are going well here - so well that I am prepared to post on this thread. [Biased]

Mr P had some colleagues in for a visit a couple of weeks ago and we worked really hard together (and that was a key point) to get the bits that they would see looking respectable. I am now focussed on keeping the bits that are clean and tidy that way, while Mr P wants to get the rest of the house up to that standard. So far, we are both winning [Yipee]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

How is your decluttering going? I love reading about what other people are doing to their houses and have missed this thread which I found languishing at the bottom of page two...

Thanks for asking Little Miss Methodist [Smile]

I have stalled a little. I am managing to keep the decluttered rooms tidy, but I have still got too many 'hot spots' for my liking. I'm going away to Mexico until the end of Feb tomorrow - so will start again with new vigour when I return!

I might start a 'decluttering journal' in a new notebook and do the lists thing too, that way I'll be able to look back on progress.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Well... how's it going you ask?

Our house is now completely empty of our stuff and was reasonbly clean two weeks ago when we left it. (Who knows what the tenants have since done to it, but I don't much mind. We'll strip it all out and replace when we eventually return to the country).

There was some fairly painful decluttering/ getting rid of stuff towards the end. I gave about three large rubbish sacks of clothing etc. to family, friends and the Op Shop. We managed to wedge 30 kg of clothing etc into a suitcase and that's all I have! I lost a cardigan on the plane so now I only have two!

We gave away/ sold/lent out about half our furniture - the rest went into very reluctant storage in my father's shed.

Seeing as we don't have jobs yet and are living out of suitcases, we're not really buying anything. I can't *wait* to have a job and a flat so I can nest and start to build up my wardrobe again. There are so many lovely things to buy here!

I am trying to make sure that the things that I do buy are really, really right. Too often I've bought clothes or whatever that aren't quite the right size or colour or fabric etc. and therefore just don't get used. Or household things that are useful but not lovely. I'll try and remember to buy less but to get good quality and things I really like and need.

Anyhoo, essay over now. [Smile]

Cheers,
EJ

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
my Mother would go white at the sight of a visa bill and that kind of conditioning as a child is hard to get around as an adult.

I relate to that. For me it was my father, to whom paperwork was Men's Work and something that women shouldn't bother their pretty little heads about - and who spent weeks stressed and chain smoking over his tax return. [Roll Eyes]

Mr Nen's also very capable in the paperwork department and the temptation is to leave it all to him, but we've had several talks about it and he's showing me how he organises things. I don't work on Thursdays and have earmarked part of today for paperwork... and am already thinking of all the other things I need to do instead. [Biased]

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

quote:
Some decluttering goals for 2012:

• Tidy and clear out / rearrange all kitchen cupboards. They have been used in the same way for 5 years, there must be a more efficient use of space.
  • Make better use of the storage in the dining room. After all, there's loads.
  • Declutter THE Cupboard. You know, the one I have to shut quickly before everything falls back out again and where all the junk I don't know what to do with lives (I call it my "Monica Cupboard" after an episode of Friends).
  • Clean up the Balcony. It used to be a wonderful place to sit in the summer with loads of veg growing. Now it's a repository for dead plants. I want to grow stuff again this year and will need to get rid of the crap first.

Ok so, I made progress on one of my goals this weekend!

I have an old 18 drawer card filing storage system that I "liberated" from my church and had decided to use to store all the bits and pieces I use for sewing. Yesterday I finally got around to filling up all the little drawers and neatly labeling them. So that is good work towards goal two above. It's not fully completed - I have lots more storage that needs an overhaul in the dining room, but it's a start.

I have also made a start with goal three - I tidied just the first metre of the cupboard (it's about three metres deep by 70cm wide) so I could get the hoover into it! Again, it's by no means finished or sorted completely, but it's a bit better.

A friend of mine has promised to come and help me clear out the balcony one weekend, so that will help, especially as the weather is starting to get a bit warmer so it's ok to work outside.

Anyone else doing any decluttering? I quite like to spring clean - one of the things I do every year around this time is go through my (relatively large) yarn stash and give it a good sort and tidy. I think that might be the project to undertake.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That's a fab file card cabinet LMM!

I have lots of decluttering to do - currently trying to persuade HWMBO that the mushroom shed, with sheet plastic walls, would look well as a proper shed with concrete block walls so we could actually store stuff in it! We have given up the mushroom thing as the seed is too difficult to come by.

--------------------

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just heard that I need to go into hospital in a couple of months (nothing major). I'll need to use the time before then to tidy up so Mr. Plummer can find things while I'm away - what an incentive!.
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Can I once again recommend emigrating as the ultimate decluttering tool? I've been really good at not buying things... The huge choice of new things over here had lead to me being fairly discriminating but also unsure of what I like.

I've bought books (mainly from charity shops) but I'm going to give most of them back before we move into a more permanant flat.

That said, it is extremely odd being removed from things that I used for comfort and self-identification. Who am I if I'm not well dressed 'cos I don't have a big wardrobe of nice clothes? Who am I if I live with generic things all chosen by someone else (and the cheapest possible ones at that). Who am I without a house or job to define me?

It's all no doubt very good for me, but unsettling in the extreme...

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At work a few weeks ago there was some clearing out going on, and a long wooden shelf was on the pile to be thrown out. I asked for it, and not only did I get it, but I got the loan of the work van (and driver) to get the shelf home!
I have now re-organised all my books and videos, completely rebuilding my plank and support shelves around the new unit, and I find that not only does it look a lot smarter, but I also have more room to buy more books and videos!
(The supports for the shelves are mostly round tubes such as whisky boxes, Pringles cartons and the inner tubes of rolls of carpet, cut to size)

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Theophania
Shipmate
# 16647

- Posted      Profile for Theophania     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a week off work with which I'm not meant to gallivant much or do anything strenuous.

This is a marvellous opportunity to sort, file, shred, mock, etc all the boxes of paperwork, isn't it? All the boxes I packed up and moved rather than sorting them first so I'd have less to move...

Motivation for this is somewhat elusive.

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have finally got myself a date to move-Easter weekend (as it is a handy long weekend and so my parents won't need to use holiday to drive the van for me).

This is leading to a combination of frantic packing, decluttering (but also buying things I ought to have but don't) and trying to get things finished off before I go. Not forgetting the job hunting [Help]

It is making me focus on getting rid of the junk I have hoarded though

Edited as word got chopped off...

[ 06. March 2012, 01:15: Message edited by: Mrs Shrew ]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

We finally moved, and the conservatory decluttering still hadn't happened...! Fortunately things seem to have found new homes now, and we're gradually getting there with the 'putting away' part of unpacking. I'm already becoming aware of what will clearly be the clutter hotspots in the new house - at the moment one of them is so cluttered it actually can't take any more without everything falling on the floor - so while that's not exactly a success it does at least limit the amount that can gather there(!). The kitchen windowsill is going to be a danger point, so I need to get that cleared sooner rather than later, and then keep it that way.

I have discovered the widely differing approaches that Mr B and I have, though. I felt that we shouldn't be getting lots of new storage things for the bathrooms until we knew how much we needed; he felt we should get lots as we were bound to need it all. We compromised on getting some, and half of it is still unused as I've chucked out lots of things that were never ever going to be used [Smile] Yay me! [Yipee]

--------------------

toujours gai!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016