homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Post your Eye of Newt with Girolle Mousse and a Red Wine Jus recipes here.

Firenze
Gourmet Heaven Host

[ 13. January 2013, 09:12: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jabber
Shipmate
# 9668

- Posted      Profile for Jabber   Email Jabber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a pot of bolognese sauce simmering on the hob. It's nothing exciting to start the new year with, but nice and simple compared to the feasting over Christmas.
Posts: 153 | From: North West England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence
Any suggestions on what to do with two unopened jars of fruit mince?

Here is a recipe for mincemeat squares. (What you call fruit mince is called mincemeat in the US.)

If this recipe doesn't appeal, you can try googling 'mincemeat cookies' and see if you find something that looks good.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sausage casserole tonight to help use up the veggies.

Some onions browned in oil, plump Toulouse sausages, tomatoes (tinned or fresh), carrots, celery, mushrooms, a handful of lentils or pearl barley (to thicken it all up) and a very generous splash or 4 of Worcester Sauce.

The beauty is that nothing needs careful measuring. Soaked up with mashed potatoes (or just bread if I can't be bothered to cook potatoes).

Any leftovers go straight in the freezer for another day. Yum.

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've foolishly had so much meat and alcohol over the last few days I'm starting to yearn for beans and steamed veg.

But I think tonight will be maize meal and cabbage. Coarse white cornmeal cooked African-style which I think of as "ugali" but others might call "posho" or "mealies" or "sadza".

It's a bit like polenta, but polenta tends to be cooked slow for a long time and uses yellow maizemeal and often has olive oil or butter or cheese cooked into it. Ugali is cooked quite fast, and is plain, and uses white flour (tastes better, honest!) and I like it when I stir a few spoonfuls more maize flour in at the end so its quite stiff and solid and still a bit grainy and runny.

I might succumb to temptation and liven up the cabbage a bit with some bacon that's left over...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ken,that sounds SO not London!

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got a number of new cookbooks for Christmas, two of which were about preserving food -- not sure if that was a subtle hint about what the fam wants in its Christmas boxes in the coming year or simply their (mostly accurate) characterization of me as a country gal with old-hippie tendencies who might indeed spend time canning chutney or drying tomatoes in the oven.

Right now, though, I'm less about food preservation and more about serving some simple, "clean" food to start the new year off right. (This plan doesn't go into effect until next week, since our New Year's entree of choice is a ham...) DP really enjoys pasta, and I'm looking for recipes for sauces or toppings that use non-fibrous vegetables, or ones I can puree well, and a minimum of cheese and fatty meat...Asian as well as Mediterranean.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

I might succumb to temptation and liven up the cabbage a bit with some bacon that's left over...

I very succumbed to temptation. I started by chopping some celery and sweating it in the pot (because celery is wonderful) and I was always going to put an onion in it (its not really a meal if there is no onion in it) and there was a leek there as well getting a bit manky so I threw that in to use it up, and also a chopped shallot and some garlic for completeness, and then a large fresh chili I happened to have in the fridge, and that chopped up made a nice contrast with all the green so I also chopped up a paprika pepper and then finally added the cabbage and stirred it in and then the bacon cut up with scissors (the easiest way with streaky) then a small handful of frozen sweetcorn and peas and broad beans an a big splash of Worcester sauce then a cup of water (two-thirds of a Ship of Fools ITTWACW mug of water in fact) and bring it all to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.

So the boiled cabbage was maybe 50% cabbage and quite pretty. But there was cabbage in it, honest. Its just so hard to resist the temptation to tinker with food.

The ugali was plain though. Made enough for four, as usual. Its probably getting grilled with olive oil tomorrow or Tuesday...

--------------------
Ken

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to plain fare tomorrow.

I think the things going off in the fridge are mainly green peppers and red cabbage - which will not, I suspect, marry. And chillies. Lots and lots of chillies. I can also source sausages and chorizo, potatoes, onions and tinned tomatoes.

If those ingredients remind anyone of a recipe, I'd be happy to hear it.

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze: When I saw "chorizo" and "potatoes" what immediately came to mind was Mexican chorizo and potatoes -- a popular breakfast item to roll into torillas. But on this side of the Atlantic "chorizo" usually means something quite different than Spanish chorizo -- here it's a fresh, often loose spicy sausage with a somewhat different flavor than Spanish chorizo.

But...some of your other ingredients make me think you could create a kind of Spanish stew or stir-fry with the sausage, potatoes and peppers. I just saw a magazine recipe somewhere for a simple Spanish stew that included mussels, chorizo and potatoes.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I think the things going off in the fridge are mainly green peppers and red cabbage - which will not, I suspect, marry.

Red peppers and green cabbage do, so maybe the other way round...

--------------------
Ken

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze, can you treat chorizo in a similar way to ordinary sausages? If so, what I made for lunch on Saturday might fit the bill:

About 1 lb potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
Four well-flavoured sausages
1 sweet bell pepper (red, yellow or green), cut in 1-inch pieces
1 small onion, cut into half-rings
1 clove garlic, crushed
A shake of cayenne pepper or paprika (optional, depending on the spiciness of your sausages)
Olive oil, salt and pepper

Grease an oven-proof baking dish and pre-heat the oven to 400°F (200°C?)

Par-boil the potatoes in salted water for about 5-10 minutes; drain and put in the baking dish.

Prick the sausages and brown them in a little oil; set them aside.

Sauté the chopped pepper in the oil for about 5 minutes with the garlic and onion until they begin to soften; add the cayenne or paprika if you're using it and cook another minute or so. Mix this in with the potatoes, cut the sausages into chunks and add them along with any juices they produce to the potato mixture.

Season with salt and pepper and bake in the pre-heated oven for about half an hour.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Thanks, Piglet. That looks like a goer. I can work some finely chopped chili in there as well.
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd have thought that slow-cooked red cabbage would go beautifully with a chorizo stew, though I'm not sure if you have or indeed want to use the ingredients that usually go into such a thing along with the cabbage itself.

Delia's recipe is at least reliable.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a bit late, but this is how I got rid of the leftover Christmas turkey.

Turkey Chilli
  • enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a large pan
  • 1½ large onions, finely chopped
  • ½ red pepper and ½ green pepper coarsely chopped.
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
    [8]a good squirt of tomato purée
  • ¾ teaspoon chilli flakes
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½: teaspoon salt
  • ¼ sugar
  • leftover turkey, coarsely shredded.
  • large handful frozen sweetcorn

Bubble and squeak
  • Leftover roast potatoes, new potatoes, carrots and sprouts.
  • butter
  • black pepper

Fry the onions, peppers and garlic in the oil until the onions are almost see through.

Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, spices, salt sugar and turkey. Simmer for 1 hour.

Add the sweetcorn, simmer for a further 20 minutes.

Make the Bubble and squeak:
Coarsly chop the leftover veg.
In a large frying pan melt some butter
Fry the veg in the butter with pleanty of black pepper until the new potatoes have browned.

Serve the Turkey chilli and Bubble and squeak together.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I can't source chorizo for a recipe, I usually substitute our local butcher's Welsh Dragon sausages. It may not taste quite the same, but it's still pretty good.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I think the things going off in the fridge are mainly green peppers and red cabbage - which will not, I suspect, marry. And chillies. Lots and lots of chillies. I can also source sausages and chorizo, potatoes, onions and tinned tomatoes.

What sort of chilies have you got?

Red cabbage is a typical garnish for fish tacos. Here in California the fish is usually battered and fried but my mom would sautee sardines with onion, garlic and tomatoes. You could do that with diced green peppers and then garnish with the red cabbage.

My mom also braises cabbage mixes it with meat, often ground beef. She sometimes uses this as filling for "burritos". Could you do that with red cabbage?

My favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs and chorizo. Could you make that or an omelet with the green peppers and use the cabbage for a salad?

LutheranChik is right about the chorizo and potatoes. It's also a filling for "gorditas" (corn tortillas split open and filled with food and cooked on a griddle). You could use pita bread in place of the corn tortillas.

Refried beans are excellent cooked with chorizo. Dice and sautee the peppers and potatoes, add to the beans with chorizo, and use as a filling for burritos or gorditas with the red cabbage as garnish.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hgjules
Apprentice
# 16796

- Posted      Profile for Hgjules   Email Hgjules   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got 'zilli light' cookbook for Christmas. Having got over the obvious implication that I needed a low-fat book I am now flicking through to see what catches my eye. We went to the restaurant Zilli Fish 2 for my thirtieth way-back-when so I do like his stuff.
I am a very novice cook and seem to have been that way my whole adult life!

--------------------
Doesn't do decisions

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Well, that turned out nicely. Adding the chilies and quite a lot of pimenton made it taste rather like gussied-up patatas bravas.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had not-quite-enough of it left to feed us for lunch today, so D. put it in an omelette along with some sliced tomatoes - kind of like a Spanish omelette, I suppose. It was v.v. good.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone use a waffle maker? I love waffles, and sometimes buy ready made ones, but would love to have fresh, home made ones. Can anyone recommend one that I can get in the UK - not too expensive? I've looked on Amazon and am now totally confused, so amd asking my shipmates for advice!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have the waffle iron my mother bought in 1929 with money given her as a wedding gift. I still use it, but I wish I had the money instead. It was a twenty-dollar gold piece.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Like Moo, my home waffling experience was based around an old-fashioned iron, which was fine, if a bit messy. I 've used the electric sort in hotels. Frankly, I would go for the cheapest - how long does it have to last to repay 14.99?

What astonished me was electric doughnut makers. You use a chip pan surely? (strangely, one of the first things I learned to cook, aged 11 or 12).

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got my waffle iron (electric) for 50 cents at a yard sale. it's ugly but works just fine. they dont need to be fancy.

I need kale help, folks. I got a huge amount from the farmers' harvest sales because it was so cheap and because I know it's good for me. I blanched and froze what seemed like a ton. (I think it was a total of 7 pounds. which is a lot of kale)

problem is, I dont have much experience with it and no great love of the flavor. I've made a very nice cream of kale soup, and I've sauteed with garlic etc to satisfactory result. but I need more ideas.

additionally - I want to use it in breakfast smoothies, but I hate bananas. I'm a good yogurt maker (though out at the moment) but otherwise...? do I just toss it in the blender with enough blueberries to mask the flavor and maybe some milk and almond butter?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kale and Chickpea soup has had rave reviews on crazyauntpurl's site. It has chorizo, but some of the reviews made it vegetarian.
I think with a smoothie I'd start with a few leaves of kale, maybe 3/4 cup of frozen berries, some yoghurt, a little protein powder if you like, thin it with a little juice if you need, and add honey if you want. But I'd blend the hell out of it unless you want to feel like you're drinking salad sludge.

Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aelred of Rievaulx
Shipmate
# 16860

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Rievaulx   Email Aelred of Rievaulx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Red cabbage is a typical garnish for fish tacos. Here in California the fish is usually battered and fried but my mom would sautee sardines with onion, garlic and tomatoes. You could do that with diced green peppers and then garnish with the red cabbage.
Classic English way with red Cabbage is to slice it fnie. Chop 1 onion in a pan with some olive oil and sweat until getting translucent, then pile in the red cabbage and a large tart cooking apple (Bramley for preference), peeled, choopped and sliced, and a small (Very small!) amount of water - like 1 tablespoon or so. Put lid on the pan and cook in its own steam for ten minutes or so on the hob. You can alter the balance of cabbage and apple to suit your own taste.

You can replace the water with a dash of red wine (if you have no alcoholics in your household) or even a vinegar of your choice. You may want to add a bit of sugar to taste, and I would always salt the mix a bit. Some people add a handful or currants, but that is going a big far in my book.

Great with any slow-cooked meat, especially good with pork. Too much for fish, I would have thought.

I hope you enjoy it.

--------------------
In friendship are joined honor and charm, truth and joy, sweetness and good-will, affection and action. And all these take their beginning from Christ, advance through Christ, and are perfected in Christ.

Posts: 136 | From: English Midlands | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet, we received the River Cottage Veg Every Day recipe book which has quite a lot of kale recipes listed inthe index. However, I can't find many on the internet. Here are two I found:

roasted beetroot pizza with kale

Chickpea, potato and kale curry

Due to copyright, I don't suppose I can copy out the others, but you could either PM me, or make a guess at the method/ingredients from the titles...
* Curried bubble & squeak
* kale and mushroom lasagne
*kale & onion pizza
*kale speltotto with goats cheese (speltotto is a risotto made with spelt - something I've never seen before. I guess rice would work as well)
*leeks and greens with coconut milk
* pasta with greens, garlic and chilli

I suppose anything that uses spring greens/savoy cabbage could use kale instead. Good luck!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
love all the ideas, especially the curry! thank you!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like kale in stir fry with tofu/bacon/nuts, onions, carrots, mushrooms if I'm lucky and any other vegetables to hand - loads of soy sauce, sesame oil/sesame seeds, ginger, garlic and some form of vinegar (we've currently got proper rice vinegar, but I've used anything reasonably mild). Serve with rice (or noodles, but they've got wheat which is off the menu currently)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
OhSimone
Shipmate
# 16414

- Posted      Profile for OhSimone   Author's homepage   Email OhSimone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aelred of Rievaulx:
quote:
Classic English way with red Cabbage is to slice it fnie. Chop 1 onion in a pan with some olive oil and sweat until getting translucent, then pile in the red cabbage and a large tart cooking apple (Bramley for preference), peeled, choopped and sliced, and a small (Very small!) amount of water - like 1 tablespoon or so. Put lid on the pan and cook in its own steam for ten minutes or so on the hob. You can alter the balance of cabbage and apple to suit your own taste.

You can replace the water with a dash of red wine (if you have no alcoholics in your household) or even a vinegar of your choice. You may want to add a bit of sugar to taste, and I would always salt the mix a bit. Some people add a handful or currants, but that is going a big far in my book.

Great with any slow-cooked meat, especially good with pork. Too much for fish, I would have thought.

I hope you enjoy it.

I do it with three kinds of red - red cabbage, red onion and red apple - and it's just as easy to cover it and stick in the oven for as long as you wish. You can add some sweet spices like cinnamon or nutmeg, if you're feeling a bit out there.
Posts: 198 | From: The Black Country | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I hadn't realised - until last night - that white cabbage bakes successfully too.

Into an ovenproof dish, liberally dot with butter, bit of freshly ground black pepper and a few cumin seeds, cover with foil and bake for 50 mins at 180 (though half an hour longer didn't seem to hurt).

With that I did one of my favourite, and simplest, lamb casseroles. Diced shoulder, onions, lots of garlic, parsley, paprika and the juice of a couple of lemons and that's it. Low heat or slowish oven for an hour - or until you're ready for it.

Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
comet, I tried a good kale recipe for Thanksgiving which I posted on my blog. I have quite a bit of kale in my garden (nowhere near 7 lb though!) so I may have to try some of these recipes myself.
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet, reading about your purchase on ACW, I couldn't help but think of the Kail Kirk in Dundee (so called because of the "Love Feast" attendant to services that invariably consisted of kail soup). I guess it saved on gas...

We, meanwhile, are in the unfortunate and iniquitous position of having been given a pound and a quarter of unsliced Serrano ham. What the flip do we do with such a whacking great lump of it?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

We, meanwhile, are in the unfortunate and iniquitous position of having been given a pound and a quarter of unsliced Serrano ham. What the flip do we do with such a whacking great lump of it?
AG

According to
this site the ham will keep for a long time properly managed.

Your lunch for the next 6 months : lightly toast a thick slice of good bread. Crush a couple of ripe tomatoes over it. Heap with the thinly sliced Serrano. Drizzle with olive oil. The glass of Rioja is optional (but wonderful).

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

AG

Get a sharp knife and pop a few slices in the post to me?

[ 05. January 2012, 21:28: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
World's strangest and best thing to do with kale:
Toasted Kale and Coconut Salad

I make the kale following the recipe, and just serve it on top of rice, because farro confuses me. Amazing.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
OhSimone
Shipmate
# 16414

- Posted      Profile for OhSimone   Author's homepage   Email OhSimone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I hadn't realised - until last night - that white cabbage bakes successfully too.

Into an ovenproof dish, liberally dot with butter, bit of freshly ground black pepper and a few cumin seeds, cover with foil and bake for 50 mins at 180 (though half an hour longer didn't seem to hurt).

With that I did one of my favourite, and simplest, lamb casseroles. Diced shoulder, onions, lots of garlic, parsley, paprika and the juice of a couple of lemons and that's it. Low heat or slowish oven for an hour - or until you're ready for it.

Sounds almost Turkish, om nom nom.
The white cabbage bake sounds great - I've also heard of it with a bit o' white wine and caraway seeds instead of cumin.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by OhSimone:

Spanish in point of fact. But I can see why you might think the other end of the Med - I have other lamb recipes from the middle east with preserved lemons as a main ingredient.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
World's strangest and best thing to do with kale:
Toasted Kale and Coconut Salad

I make the kale following the recipe, and just serve it on top of rice, because farro confuses me. Amazing.

Speaking of monkeys, infinite or otherwise, and of kale, in benevolent juxtaposition, according to J.P. Davidson a bonobo chimpanzee named Kanzi conveyed his dislike of kale by pointing in succesion to the words slow and lettuce.

Just so as you know.

[ 06. January 2012, 08:59: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
OhSimone
Shipmate
# 16414

quote:
quote:

Spanish in point of fact. But I can see why you might think the other end of the Med - I have other lamb recipes from the middle east with preserved lemons as a main ingredient.
Have you had lahmacun? It's a pizza sort of thing with spiced lamb, best served with garlic, parsley and lemon juice. Things travel I guess.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Have you had lahmacun? It's a pizza sort of thing with spiced lamb, best served with garlic, parsley and lemon juice. Things travel I guess.

No, but I had a very nice gyros pizza in a restaurant in Germany (Turkish influence, I fancy).
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All I can say to kale crisps is WOW!

We did them with lemon juice, salt and olive oil (greasy kale tequila?), and they were delicious. Salty enough to be a great beer snack too.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My friend C. has returned to live in Paris after four years abroad [Yipee]

Anyway, this inspired me last night to resurrect C's favourite recipe from back in the day.

rouge's famous minestrone soup

Chop up a couple of carrots, a big onion (or two small ones) and a stick of celery. Soften in a bit of olive oil and throw in a handful of spinach to wilt.

Add a litre or so of chicken or vegetable stock and a jar of tomato sauce. Add a small (drained, rinsed) tin of kidney beans and a small tin of green beans (you could use fresh but in the soup I think the mushiness of tinned works better). Add one generous glass of red wine and some basil and oregano. (Salt if your stock's not already salted.) Bring to the boil then simmer until the vegetables are almost soft.

Add a handful of pasta (something quite small - broken-up spaghetti, macaroni, whatever) and cook some more until it's soft.

Note - the starch from the pasta will make the soup go thick and gloopy if you cook it straight in. I personally regard this as a feature not a bug, but if you don't want the soup gloopy you need to cook the pasta separately and then add it at the end.

[ 13. January 2012, 09:39: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been idly interested in trying out making tempura veggies. I'd seen Kikkoman advertizing that they had a tempura mix. They do. It's on their site. I went to their page with the recipe for tempura seafood and veggies. They have a nice picture of their tempura mix ther. They also have the recipe for making tempura batter from scratch. No mention of using the packaged product. [Snigger]

How refreshing and noncommercial!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent: I've got some cake flour hanging around that I don't know what to do with, and I love fried stuff.

I just made possibly the best soup I've ever had, and it's both super easy and quite good for you:

Carrot Soup with Miso and Sesame

The pickled scallions (I didn't have kosher salt, so just used a bit less regular salt) really kick things up a notch: highly recommended.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

We made fish tacos tonight...I was very happy with our marinade, which was mostly from a recipe but punched up a little by addition of some orange juice to add a little sweetness and extra fruitiness to the lime juice.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I love this quote from Infinite Monkey's carrot soup recipe:
quote:
It’s about one cube of tofu away from earning a halo ...
[Killing me]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry to double-post, but we've just bought a bread-making machine and I'd be grateful for advice, tips and experiences of them what has one. Thank you.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Sorry to double-post, but we've just bought a bread-making machine and I'd be grateful for advice, tips and experiences of them what has one. Thank you.

A fair degree of scrupulosity in keeping to the recipe works best: barring defect in the ingredients (eg elderly yeast*) that guarantees a successful loaf every time. Tweaking recipes, and introducing ones not in its little owner's manual is more chancy, but can be done. I think the trick is to maintain the same balance of wet/ dry and flour/ other stuff - eg I translated a white cheese and bacon loaf successfully to a brown cheese and pumpkin seed one.

*even though it's the dried instant, I keep it in the fridge.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Follow the instructions as to order of ingredients. Any I've used put liquid in first and have spectacular failures if this is not done.

I keep the dried yeast in freezer and use it straight from there.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016