homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Cauldron Bubble: 2012 recipes
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, I just remembered this book for bread machines.

I have an earlier, slightly larger edition but this is the same, just reduced in page size. I've had it for over ten years and always had successes with it. I gave one to my brother who makes all his own bread and he likes it too. Lots of variety and easily adaptable.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hot crumpet. Fresh out of the pan. Just WOW! I've always thought you can't beat a bit if crumpet, but this was something else entirely. The ideal combination of firm and moist.

AG
(I may never buy another...)

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just remembered that the bread book mentioned two posts up has recipes in three different sizes, so you don't need to scale up or down.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crumpets can be MADE? I kinda always thought they came into being fully formed in a package, like Aphrodite showing up on the seashell from nowhere.

[ 18. January 2012, 01:40: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Madame makes a fair bit of our bread and uses a machine at least to make and prove the dough and then forming a loaf and baking in the oven. She says that the way to do it is to start by making a range of breads from the recipe book with the machine; this will help you learn how doughs should look and work. The book will be written for the flour in your country. If you buy an English cookbook, you will need to adjust the water/milk content, as English (and French) flour is nowhere near as hard as that here or in the US. She imagines that Canadian flour is probably quite strong also. The harder the flour, the more liquid you need 10% or perhaps even more.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all for your advice and tips - especially about storing the yeast - D. has bought a huge jar of the stuff (bearing in mind that you only need a couple of teaspoons per loaf). He also bought a bread-machine cookbook (not Lothlorien's one, but something similar, specifically written for Black & Decker machines*).

He made his first loaf this afternoon**; he bought a "bread mix" bag of flour that came with yeast ready measured and it was absolutely yummy; I think we're definitely on to something! 1½lb of flour seems to make a hell of a big loaf; he reckons a 2lb one would probably fill the entire kitchen ... [Eek!]

Further experiments will doubtless ensue - I'll keep you posted.

* The last time we bought a Black & Decker it was an electric drill. [Big Grin]

** and the second this evening. If I'm really good, he'll let me try it. [Biased]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Thank you all for your advice and tips - especially about storing the yeast - D. has bought a huge jar of the stuff (bearing in mind that you only need a couple of teaspoons per loaf).

I have had a bread machine for eighteen years, and I have noticed some important things about yeast. It deteriorates with exposure to air. If the jar is less than half-full, the remaining yeast is exposed to a lot of air in the jar.

Also, when you buy yeast in the supermarket, it's not always in good condition when you buy it, especially if you buy it in the summer. Since it is not kept in the refrigerated section of the supermarket, many store employees think it can tolerate a lot of heat before it gets to the shelf; it can't.

I would advise you to stock up on yeast in cold weather and transfer it to ever-smaller containers as you use it up.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or use the dry variety. Remember to use about half the quantity of fresh yeast, or even a bit less; that will give a slower rising and a better flavour.

A couple of years ago, Lothlorien's brother sent around this recipe for a pagnotta style bread. If you use milk or milk powder, you get a softer crust and a better crumb. The Italian original uses water.

3 cups baking flour, preferably unbleached (we can buy this in our local supermarkets)
1 cup wholemeal/rye/soy flour
1 tablespoon gluten powder
1 1/2 teaspoons each of salt, sugar and dry yeast
2 cups liquid - water, milk or buttermilk (our favourite)
2 tablespoons olive oil

Put all together in the machine and turn to the dough cycle. Delay the start to suit your activities. When it has finished, turn out onto a sheet of floured baking paper and sprinkle some more flour lightly on the top - the dough will be very sticky. Form into a torpedo shaped loaf and with a sharp knife cut horizontally around one long side. Leave for a few mounts to recover. Place on a baking tray into a cold oven (!), turn to around 230 and bake for 45 minutes or so. A water soaked plain terracotta tile or bowl placed into the oven with the bread will give a better crust, as it creates steam. Optional if you use water as the liquid are a couple of tablespoons of milk powder.

Excellent with a good old-fashioned cheddar or a pepato cheese. Toasts well when a day or so old. Madame made a loaf yesterday just before we went for our morning walk along the beach (we have a bread machine in our holiday house) and after we had returned and had breakfast, it was ready to bake. Delicious at lunchtime alongside some terrine.

[ 18. January 2012, 19:15: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Hot crumpet ...

Do you have a bread-machine recipe for crumpets, Sandemaniac? Our book doesn't (it's very left-of-the-Pond orientated), and D. loves them.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D
Or use the dry variety. Remember to use about half the quantity of fresh yeast, or even a bit less; that will give a slower rising and a better flavour.

I was talking about dry yeast. I prefer the fresh, but I haven't been able to get any for years.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Crumpet recipe. No machine needed. You will need heavy based pan or griddle to cook and some rings to keep them in shape. Egg rings available down here but they are a bit small. Grease rings before use.

450 gm plain flour.
350 ml warm milk
teaspoon salt
teaspoon, level dried yeast
350 ml warm water
teaspoon baking powder
splosh of sunflower or similar oil (for greasing rings)

Mix flour, milk, water and yeast in a bowl with whisk. Leave covered at least an hour till very frothy. Whisk in baking powder and salt.

Grease rings and griddle or whatever you are using and heat griddle. Fill ring on griddle till almost full. It should stay inside ring. If too runny add a bit of flour.

No kneading, no machine needed.

Cook till holes appear on top of batter and surface of crumpet is sort of set. Flip and cook the other side a couple of minutes. Serve with butter. They can be cooled and toasted later and served with butter (and Vegemite, which is the only flavouring any in my family will allow on crumpets).

If they are very dark when you flip them, turn heat source down a bit. It may need a bit of experimenting so do one t a time till you like them.

These are much appreciated here. I have a very old cast iron griddle, very thick with a hoop of iron as a handle. I heat it up over wok burner on stove and then turn down quite a bit as the thick iron retains the heat well and give it back evenly.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Sorry, edit time gone. I don't grease the surface of the griddle or pan when making these or pikelets. I wipe griddle or pan with surface of a cut raw potato. This makes a nice, shiny base to pikelet or crumpet in my seasoned pan. Repeat as needed and possibly cut slice off potato to expose fresh surface.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Lothlorien - I'll mention this to D., who's the crumpet aficionado. [Smile]

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was both surprised and pleased to find a carton of organic eggnog at our local supermarket--with 9 days left on its "best by" date! This naturally led to a Sunday breakfast of--

Eggnog French Toast

Ingredients:
4 large eggs, beaten
3/4 C eggnog
1t vanilla extract
pinch kosher salt
1T cinnamon
1/4t grated nutmeg
4 1" thick slices (or 8 1/2" thick slices) of challah or other egg bread
butter for the griddle

Heat your griddle of preference to medium low heat, or 350F--you want it so that water dances when drops are spritzed onto it

Mix all ingredients except bread and butter together well in a wide bowl.
Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture for 15 seconds, flip over, and dip the other side for 15 seconds. Place into a wide container such as a baking dish. When all bread slices have been dipped, pour remaining egg mixture over the bread slices and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes (this is a useful time for you to be getting the coffee on or frying up bacon or sausage).

When your bread has sat long enough and your griddle is hot, put a healthy pat of butter onto the griddle and, using a paper towel, wipe it over the surface of the griddle until it is melted completely.

Place your bread slices on the griddle and cook for 4-5 minutes,or until the underside is a golden brown. Flip each slice over, sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg, and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
Remove to plates and serve immediately with warmed maple syrup.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night I put some chick peas to soak and today cooked them and made hummus for the first time. A little lemon juice, olive oil and tahini all whipped up in the food processor and I had a yummy ingredient for my supper. I've never liked garlic very much so didn't put any in. Yes, it is bland, but I like it that way and am very proud of myself for actually doing this. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
daviddrinkell
Shipmate
# 8854

- Posted      Profile for daviddrinkell   Email daviddrinkell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Thanks, Lothlorien - I'll mention this to D., who's the crumpet aficionado. [Smile]

Very true, I like a bit of crumpet after Evensong. [Big Grin]

Sometimes I even put Marmite on it.....

--------------------
David

Posts: 1983 | From: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Last night I put some chick peas to soak and today cooked them and made hummus for the first time. A little lemon juice, olive oil and tahini all whipped up in the food processor and I had a yummy ingredient for my supper. I've never liked garlic very much so didn't put any in. Yes, it is bland, but I like it that way and am very proud of myself for actually doing this. [Big Grin]

Also very good if you cook some frozen broad beans, then puree them with the garlic etc. Even better if you chop an onion and cook it in a bit of water first, then add the crushed garlic and broad beans before pureeing the lot.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I skip tahini, which is an abomination to my tastebuds, but otherwise my recipe is standard. Recently, I have taken to crumpling a few dried red peppers before giving the mix a final whiz in the blender. Since many breakfast spreads are forbidden to my diet, and believe it or not, you can get tired of Marmite (or peanut butter), I often spread this thinly on my breakfast two pieces of toast.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speaking of bean spreads, I've fallen in love with a particular style of quesadilla. I take a flour tortilla and spread spicy, jalapeno bean dip on it, heap some shredded, sharp cheddar all over it (well, sharpish for American tastes [Hot and Hormonal] ), add leftover, shredded chicken, and top with another tortilla. Zap it in the microwave for 45 secs to a minute. Voila! Lunch!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I heard or read recently (it wasn't here, was it?) that chopped mushrooms can be used in place of ground meat. Well, I tried it tonight. There was a taco kit in the pantry that needed to be used, and a container of mushrooms in the fridge. So, I chopped the 'shrooms smallish, sauteed them in olive oil, and added the spice packet and water according to the instructions.

Except for being too salty for my taste (next time, twice as many mushrooms) it was really yummy! I also used plain yogurt instead of sour cream on one of the tacos. That one tasted best!

I will make this again!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I mentioned this recipe in passing to a shipmate so I thought I'd post it here

Double Ginger Muffins

2½ cups of flour, 5 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp ground ginger, ½ cup soft brown sugar, 75g butter, 2 eggs, 1½ cups milk, 2 cups crystallised ginger

Sift flour, baking powder and gr ginger into a bowl. Mix in brown sugar. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Melt butter. Lightly beat eggs and add to milk. Add ginger, butter, eggs and milk to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Three quarters fill greased muffin pans with the mixture. Bake at 190c for 10 to 15 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That looks nice and gingery Huia. Thanks.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have some mince that needs used up. Any ideas other than spag bol, lasagne, or meat balls?

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shepherds/Cottage pie, chilli con carne, moussaka, stuffed aubergines...

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I have some mince that needs used up. Any ideas other than spag bol, lasagne, or meat balls?

Assuming it's beef:
Cottage pie; chilli con carne; burgers; rissoles; curry; bobotie; stuffed cabbage leaves; meatloaf;
Mediterranean mince -
1 lb lean mince
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp allspice berries, crushed
1 stick cinnamon
3 oz green lentils, soaked
1 sprig thyme
1X14 oz can chopped tomatoes
2tbsps tomatoe puree
1/2 tsp sugar
salt & pepper

Fry mince in its own fat until browned. Drain, and rinse through with boiling water to remove fat.
Sweat onion and garlic until tender, then add drained mince. Add remaining ingredients except salt, bring to the boil, then simmer for 1 hour. Add salt and cook for 5 mins more
Serve with mashed potato or rice, and a green vegetable.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:

Tacos!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had [very yummy] paneer kebabs tonight for supper using home made paneer [pressed cottage cheese] and A Certain Host was wondering if anyone knows of anything we can do with the whey created by making the paneer.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
anything we can do with the whey created by making the paneer.

Some good suggestions here

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent, thanks!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re bean dips: A recent favorite at our house is just the equivalent of a white bean salad buzzed in a blender to dip consistency -- white beans, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and herbs of choice. Sometimes if we have a big meal elsewhere during the day this and some crackers or toasts becomes our other savory meal.

We're getting 3" of snow today, so we're not going out on the roads unless we have to...supper is going to be Freezer Surprise -- and in more ways than one, since the labels came off several of our frozen leftovers. I'm counting on the fact that we wouldn't have frozen them if we hadn't liked them to begin with.;-)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
I'm counting on the fact that we wouldn't have frozen them if we hadn't liked them to begin with.;-)

When I first started living by myself almost a year ago, I had trouble adjusting recipe sizes so there were just a couple of meals from a recipe. I also hated, and still hate, wasting food, so leftovers were frozen, even if not quite to my taste.

These days I try to fix them up with more herbs or chillies, but if still not right, I no longer keep them. I have a largish fridge but it doesn't seem to take much to fill freezer quickly.

Tonight I am making risotto with leftover ham and some good mushrooms. Will happily free second batch of that.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm facing the leftover chicken dilemma this evening. I can always do a rissotto, but it's not really calling to me. Any other solutions?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Little chicken & mushroom pies? You could use mashed potato as a topping if you don't want to make (or buy!) pastry. I like to make a sauce just by mixing a dollop of creme fraiche in the mix once everything is cooked.
White chilli con carne? I believe that's like ordinary chilli but made with chicken and white beans...But I may be wrong.
Thai chicken coconut soupy thingy with noodles? Chicken, shredded leeks, coconut milk, stock, thai curry sauce (or appropriate spices) & noodles.
Pasta bake with tomato sauce and the chicken thrown in?
I think those (except the chilli) are my usual left over chicken standbys.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Somebody gave me a bag of butternut squash, already cut into small pieces.

What do I do with them? [Confused]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I am currently printing off some of the recipes I have stored on the computer and yesterday looked up the chicken left-overs and pumpkin/squash recipes, as that’s what I currently have that needs using.
Below are lists of the main ingredients in some recipes for each, but rather than make this post even longer I’ll only add full recipes if anyone asks for anything specific.

Creamy Chicken Pasta
cooked chicken,
French mustard
1 lemon
single cream

Chicken Polka Pie
cooked chicken,
potatoes,
cooked mixed veg
parsley sauce,
Worcestershire sauce,
eggs
Cheddar cheese

Chicken and Mushroom Lasagne
onion,
mushrooms,
cooked chicken,
parsley
white sauce
non cook" lasagne
fresh breadcrumbs & grated Parmesan cheese

Basic Leftover Casserole
Cooked pasta OR rice
cooked chicken OR turkey OR beef
leftover vegetables, diced (your choice), or par-cooked from fresh
.Alliums of choice:
2 c Milk with curry paste, and-sherry,-white wine, or vermouth,
OR
1 c Milk and 1 -2 c sharp grated cheese

Butternut Squash Risotto
onion, finely chopped or grated
butternut squash, grated
garlic clove,
arborio rice
roasted hazelnuts
Wensleydale cheese

Squash with Mushrooms and Bacon
butternut squash,
Rosemary
Olive oil
streaky bacon,
mushrooms,
garlic,

Butternut Squash Casserole
olive oil
1 onion , sliced
garlic cloves, crushed
tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp paprika
sweet potatoes , cubed
red pepper , deseeded and chopped
butternut squash (about 550g/1lb 4oz), peeled and chopped
can chopped tomatoes
red wine
vegetable stock
bulghar wheat
TO SERVE
yogurt
cheddar cheese

Roast Squash with Green Lentils & Goats Cheese
red onions
squash
rosemary
olive oil
celery,
garlic,
1 bayleaf
green lentils,
balsamic vinegar
soft goats cheese

[ 31. January 2012, 08:42: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Here's a recipe for butternut, providing we are talking about the same vegetable. This is what we call butternut in Australia. The blue cheese sauce appeals to me.

You could also bake the pieces and make soup or use in a risotto, even if Firenze isn't doing risotto tonight.

I didn't make risotto with my ham and mushroom. Just gently fried some onion, garlic and mushrooms with the ham and stirred in some ordinary , already cooked long grain rice to warm. Not much, just something to bulk it out. It made one serve which was what I was after.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Here's a recipe for butternut, providing we are talking about the same vegetable. This is what we call butternut in Australia. The blue cheese sauce appeals to me.

I'll be giving that a try, it looks delicious.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@Lothlorien: Thanks for the recipe. I don't think I'll be making it for today, we just had a blue cheese pasta yesterday (we do a lot of them, they're delicious!) But I'll definitely keep it for later.

@Roseofsharon: Could you give some details on the Butternut Squash Casserole? I think I can get a hand on most of the ingredients here in Africa. It's sweet potato season here now, so at least that part is easy!

The only thing I'm unsure of is the bulghar wheat. I could try some of the Muslim shops, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it. What would be a substitute for it?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bulghar (or bulgar) is a parboiled form of wheat grain. If you can't find it in shops in your locale, I'd probably recommend pre-cooking some brown rice and using it instead.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

For Bulgar Wheat you can substitute cous-cous - but watch your cooking times.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I don't know about brown rice here, but cous-cous is certainly doable. Thanks!

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
@Roseofsharon: Could you give some details on the Butternut Squash Casserole? I think I can get a hand on most of the ingredients here in Africa. It's sweet potato season here now, so at least that part is easy!
The only thing I'm unsure of is the bulghar wheat. I could try some of the Muslim shops, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it. What would be a substitute for it?

Butternut Squash Casserole
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 1 onion , sliced
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 1 tsp cumin seeds
* 1 tbsp paprika
* 225g sweet potatoes , cubed
* 1 red pepper , deseeded and chopped
* 1 butternut squash (about 550g/1lb 4oz), peeled and chopped
* 400g can chopped tomatoes
* 200ml red wine
* 300ml vegetable stock
* 75g bulghar wheat
TO SERVE
* 4 spoonfuls yogurt
* a little grated cheddar cheese

In a large pan, heat the olive oil, then cook onion and garlic for 5-7 minutes until the onion is softened.
Add the cumin seeds and paprika, then cook for a further 2 minutes.
Stir in the sweet potato, red pepper and butternut squash and toss with the onion and spices for 2 minutes.
Pour in the tomatoes, red wine and vegetable stock, season, then simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Stir in the bulghur wheat, cover with a lid, then simmer for 15 minutes more until the vegetables are tender, the bulghur wheat is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
Serve in bowls topped with a spoonful of yogurt and some grated cheddar.

That's the 'official' recipe, but I am quite free in how I interpret it. We are actually having it for dinner tonight, and I am using home-grown pumpkin, not butternut, and will cook it for longer before I add the bulghur as the pumpkin flesh is more robust. There is probably a greater proportion of pumpkin in it, too, as I just chopped a hunk off a 2kg one and won't weigh it. Nor have I any idea what my sweet potato weighs.
I would think that any grain would do, but bear in mind how long it takes to cook, as it goes into the casserole with the veg.
Substituting brown rice in this sort of recipe can be a bit hit and miss. Because it takes so long to cook the vegetables can become mushy. I do it with another recipe, but remove the vegetables, part cook the rice in the sauce, and then replace the vegetables for their allotted cooking time.
I haven't tried couscous - that would have to be added close to the end of the cooking time, Iwould imagine.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the chicken ideas: I think I'll do some kind of pasta bake - if the oven holds out: the grill component popped last night.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What do I do with them?

Our favorite thing to do with butternut squash is roast them at high heat with some olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper; you can roast them alone or with other winter vegetables -- halved redskin potatoes, Brussels sprouts, garlic cloves and shallots are all good choices. (If you use veggies with a different texture/density, I'd start with the more dense veg and then add the squash a little later in the roasting process.) I heat the oven to 425, place the chunked squash on a pre-sprayed flat pan, drizzle a generous amount of olive oil over them and then season them. Cook until they're fork-tender and starting to get roast-y, turning them about every 15 minutes.

When we were in NYC we enjoyed an omelet one morning that had been filled with roasted herbed (I think rosemary, thyme and sage) squash and onions and I think some Gouda cheese...we were a little skeptical, but it was incredibly tasty.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Our favorite thing to do with butternut squash is roast them at high heat with some olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper; you can roast them alone or with other winter vegetables -- halved redskin potatoes, Brussels sprouts, garlic cloves and shallots are all good choices. (If you use veggies with a different texture/density, I'd start with the more dense veg and then add the squash a little later in the roasting process.) I heat the oven to 425, place the chunked squash on a pre-sprayed flat pan, drizzle a generous amount of olive oil over them and then season them. Cook until they're fork-tender and starting to get roast-y, turning them about every 15 minutes.

This is pretty much our favourite thing with any kind of winter squash. I'd serve it with pasta and add either pesto or crème fraîche loosened up with a little of the pasta water. If with c.f. I'd add garlic to the vegetables and mash it in at the end.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Sunday is Superbowl Sunday -- an unofficial national holiday in the US. DP and I usually challenge one another to a culinary throwdown on Superbowl day, and this year we have decided to make sliders; mini-burgers. We won't give one another details about our choices, but E1 is going to make turkey sliders of some kind, while I am going to make (shhhhh) curried ground pork sliders with a yogurt sauce and chutney topping. Our local bakery makes little round dinner rolls that are perfect buns for such things.

A couple of years ago we did chicken wings -- we each made about three different flavors. THAT was a party.;-)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

@Roseofsharon: THANK YOU!! The Butternut Squash Casserole was positively delicious.

With "red pepper" I wasn't sure if you meant a bell pepper or a chili pepper, so I put both in [Biased] Well, in my case the second one was an African piri piri, and I'm glad I did! The recipe definitely needs that "zing".

I'm sure that we'll be making this more often, this is a keeper! And we'll definitely try some of the other butternut squash recipes as well.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
African piri piri,

[Mad] but [Axe murder]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've gone vegan for February. I foresee a month of variations of vegetable+pulse sludge (curry, stew, casserole) on rice/potato/pasta. I can mix this up a bit with Chinese (I like tofu).

Any other suggestions - particularly if they are ones that add a non-sludgy texture gratefully received. I'm not really into fake meat products though. And it's cold here so I can't exist in salads.

(I don't dislike the variations on sludge but I think I might get bored of it.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roast/grilled veg is obvious change.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016