homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Monarchies (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Monarchies
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
Ah, but now that we've got universal health care we don't need her anymore to distinguish ourselves from our neighbours [Biased] . The second amendment is also handy.

The right to arm bears?

Seems I posted the same thing twice. Oops.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
Ah, but now that we've got universal health care we don't need her anymore to distinguish ourselves from our neighbours [Biased] . The second amendment is also handy.

The right to arm bears?

Seems I posted the same thing twice. Oops.

That's right -- our bears are unarmed.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what, your bears push people out windows instead?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So what, your bears push people out windows instead?

They still have their claws, they're just not packing heat.
Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Zach82: So what, your bears push people out windows instead?
The species Ursus defenestrans usually does.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch: Does that happen in places like France, Germany, Portugal and I think Brazil that have their claimants still living on their soil?
In most of those cases the claimants were born in foreign lands and later returned to the country whose throne they theoretically have a claim to.
At least for Brazil this is true. Prince Luís of Orléans-Braganza was born in France, but I think he lives in São Paulo now.

I don't have the impression that this has stirred much thoughts of a revival of the Empire in Brazil. There is a group of monarchists in of course, but I'd guess the majority of the population doesn't even know that there is still a theoretical pretender to the throne.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
At least for Brazil this is true. Prince Luís of Orléans-Braganza was born in France, but I think he lives in São Paulo now.

I don't have the impression that this has stirred much thoughts of a revival of the Empire in Brazil. There is a group of monarchists in of course, but I'd guess the majority of the population doesn't even know that there is still a theoretical pretender to the throne.

Perhaps they were just intimidated by someone whose full name is Dom Luís Gastão Maria José Pio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga de Orléans e Bragança e Wittelsbach. That's a lot of syllables to go through on formal state occasions. The aforementioned LGM series describes the chances of a Brazillian restoration thusly:

quote:
The likelihood of the House of Bragança’s return to Brazil’s throne seems microscopic, particularly given that the current leader [this was written in 2008], popularly-elected president Luís Inácio “Lula” da Silva, a former metalworker and union leader, is as far from inherited royalty as one can be. The Brazilian people have seemed to cast their stone, and it is not to the House of Bragança’s favor.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the Brazilian monarchists got their oar in back in 1993, when the law against campaigning for a restoration was finally annulled, and they got a question in on the constitutional referendum ending military rule. Their problem was that the succession was contested and both claimants spent a fair bit of time fighting each other. Dom Luiz ("the Chaste") was supported by right-wing RC integrists, and Dom Pedro of Petropolis by African Brazilians, and the effort failed miserably (13% for restoration, although a further 16% rejected the republican option as well).

In any case, recent Brazilian presidents have been functional and democratic, redeeming a century of incompetent fascist generals, and so it seems that the Braganzas are out of luck for now. Their chances were further reduced when the No 2 in line, the photogenic Pedro Luiz, was killed in the Air France crash in 2009.

The Petropolis line is a bit handicapped as Dom Pedro doesn't want the job and his son was charged with stealing his aunt's porcelain collection.

This is the sort of thing one learns from charming Cariocan forensic accountants as one steps along from Burgos to Castrojeriz-- it helped pass the 36km and I learned a lot about Brazilian history and tax law.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

From what I hear, the French monarchists are divided between supporters of the Bourbons and the Bonapartes, and they spend more time hating each other than democracy.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From what I hear, the French monarchists are divided between supporters of the Bourbons and the Bonapartes, and they spend more time hating each other than democracy.

Close but not quite. The Orleanistes are still fighting the legitimistes. When they get that figured out, then the Bonapartistes are next.
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
I do not follow the Holy Roman Empire point . . .

It was a callback to a point made by Ricardus (in response to you so I thought you might have remembered it) that although the official constitution of the Holy Roman Empire in theory allowed the election of anyone as Emperor, in actual practice it was just one long line of Habsburgs (and before them Hohenstaufens). This is directly relevant to your claim that it doesn't count as a monarchy if power transfers aren't officially via family relationship. My question is simple. How many Habsburgs in a row does it take before we acknowledge constitution-in-fact, regardless of what constitution-in-theory has to say on the matter?
But the constitution of the Holy Roman Empire was an elective monarchy - the fact that it took on a quasi-hereditary nature did not change that. It was never a republic.
Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
The attachment of people in the UK (and the US) to the British monarchy is pretty sentimental, irrational and visceral (as republicans discover when they try to argue the [pretty rational] case against monarchy and primogeniture).

Really? I have listened to and read a good number of republic rants here in the UK and very rarely do I hear a political argument for the abolishing the Crown. It's all very personal: in-bred Germans - interfering Big-Ears - Diana was murdered - guillotine the lot of the spongers - Camilla's a cow, Anne's a horse - the Queen doesn't smile - Philip's a racist - they are posh (!) - they are rich - etc, etc.

I never see pragmatic, rational, cerebral (if that's the opposite of visceral) arguments for a British presidency; it's all rather foolish and insulting comments about the royal family which, as intelligent people are aware, is not the same as the Monarchy

[ 24. October 2012, 10:01: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:
The attachment of people in the UK (and the US) to the British monarchy is pretty sentimental, irrational and visceral (as republicans discover when they try to argue the [pretty rational] case against monarchy and primogeniture).

Really? I have listened to and read a good number of republic rants here in the UK and very rarely do I hear a political argument for the abolishing the Crown. It's all very personal: in-bred Germans - interfering Big-Ears - Diana was murdered - guillotine the lot of the spongers - Camilla's a cow, Anne's a horse - the Queen doesn't smile - Philip's a racist - they are posh (!) - they are rich - etc, etc.

I never see pragmatic, rational, cerebral (if that's the opposite of visceral) arguments for a British presidency; it's all rather foolish and insulting comments about the royal family which, as intelligent people are aware, is not the same as the Monarchy

That, Mudfrog, is a very good point indeed. I don't think I've ever seen it so well put.

Thinking about it, I too have heard a lot of rants. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone argue a rational case for a republic, rather than simply express resentment towards the Royals. That is saying more about their own inner complexes and problems with authority than anything to do with HRH herself.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I am all about an agreeable status quo. I am sure powerless figureheads provide lots of vague, unverifiable benefits. What I find ridiculous are screeds against democratically elected leaders and their inferiority to a woman who has done nothing more impressive to obtain her office than happening to be born to the previous office holder.

[ 24. October 2012, 13:10: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

That, Mudfrog, is a very good point indeed. I don't think I've ever seen it so well put.

Thinking about it, I too have heard a lot of rants. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone argue a rational case for a republic, rather than simply express resentment towards the Royals. That is saying more about their own inner complexes and problems with authority than anything to do with HRH herself.

You must have missed the whole Enlightenment. It produced a whole raft of pamphlets containing nothing but "pragmatic, rational, cerebral . . . arguments" against the institution of monarchy. A lot of them can be summed up in the words of the prominent political theorist Dennis the Peasant, who argued that "supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses".

And frankly, if the argument is that an hereditary monarchy is a better way to select leaders than some form of popular mandate, then an examination of the leaders thus selected is a perfectly valid criticism of the system.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am all about an agreeable status quo. I am sure powerless figureheads provide lots of vague, unverifiable benefits. What I find ridiculous are screeds against democratically elected leaders and their inferiority to a woman who has done nothing more impressive to obtain her office than happening to be born to the previous office holder.

That sounds like the sort of emotional resentment that Mudfrog and I were commenting on. It seems very odd that a person should feel that strongly about someone far away and in another country.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow I stumbled upon the Wikipedia page for the Communist Party of Britain. I would not bother to give them any thought but, based on this thread, I did give them some thought thinking, actually, that if anyone in the UK wanted an end to the monarchy surely it would be the Communist Party of Britain. I spent some time on their website but no where did I see any reference to the monarchy at all. I found that strange. (Note I did not read everything on the site so I may have missed a reference to the monarchy.) Do they call for the abolition of the monarchy?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
That sounds like the sort of emotional resentment that Mudfrog and I were commenting on. It seems very odd that a person should feel that strongly about someone far away and in another country.

Only if you think expressing a brazen fact, that Elizabeth Two's only qualification is being born, is "emotional resentment." [Roll Eyes]

[ 24. October 2012, 13:39: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Only if you think expressing a brazen fact, that Elizabeth Two's only qualification is being born, is "emotional resentment." [Roll Eyes]
That, and that the pool of candidates is restricted to a particular family of upper-class, anglo-German, white people. I mean nothing pejorative by those descriptions, but by definition it rules out for ever a head of state who is working or middle class, from any minority ethnic group or even the greater part of the white majority. It's even more illogical than the view that only a male priest can represent women.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I've repeated it more than once, and I really mean it. I don't mind the idea of a powerless monarch- it's all gravy to me. What I object to is dreaming up shortcomings of democracy and demonizing its leaders to justify monarchy.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And frankly, if the argument is that an hereditary monarchy is a better way to select leaders than some form of popular mandate, then an examination of the leaders thus selected is a perfectly valid criticism of the system.

It's not like democracy has a perfect record on that count. Say what you like about Prince Charles, but I'd rather have him running the country in ten years time than another fucker like Blair, Brown or Bush.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

It's not like democracy has a perfect record on that count. Say what you like about Prince Charles, but I'd rather have him running the country in ten years time than another fucker like Blair, Brown or Bush.
That raises a couple questions:

1) To what extent does Queen Elizabeth "run" the UK (and Canada and Australia and any of the other nations of which she is the nominal head of state)?

2) Doesn't this comparison implicitly acknowledge the validity of comparing the results of the various selection proceses for heads of state?

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
What chills my blood is the thought of Prince Charles actually getting to run a country. I am sure that would kill the romance very quickly indeed.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1) To what extent does Queen Elizabeth "run" the UK (and Canada and Australia and any of the other nations of which she is the nominal head of state)?

It was purely a rhetorical flourish.

But frankly, a Head of State is more important in some ways than the people who run the country. They are the country, they define it and what it stands for both at home and on the world stage.

I for one don't want that important role open to any old dickhead who knows how to win a popularity contest.

quote:
2) Doesn't this comparison implicitly acknowledge the validity of comparing the results of the various selection proceses for heads of state?
I wasn't aware that I'd ever argued otherwise. It's quite simple for me - deciding who the Head of State shall be by a democratic process leaves open the possibility that my Head of State - the person who encapsulates and defines my whole country - will be Tony Fucking Blair or (God forbid) even David "Looks Pretty And Can Kick A Ball Well" Beckham. Keeping the monarchy eliminates that possibility. Argument over, as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

OK. Here's one. I like living in a democracy. I like having a say in who my representatives in power are. I therefore do not like being represented by someone whose only qualification for the task is an accident of birth.

Quite simple really. Would hold if I thought that Her Madge was God incarnate or if I thought she was spawned from Satan's supernumary third testicle.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Ultra confused] At least we can vote them out. And Bush's successor, whoever he is, is likely to have a big say in the running of this country whether we have a monarch or a president.

Nightmare scenario: King Charles with David Icke as Archbishop of Canterbury.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
quote:

That, and that the pool of candidates is restricted to a particular family of upper-class, anglo-German, white people. I mean nothing pejorative by those descriptions, but by definition it rules out for ever a head of state who is working or middle class, from any minority ethnic group or even the greater part of the white majority. It's even more illogical than the view that only a male priest can represent women.
Aside from the minor technicality that the Queen has Moorish ancestors, there is nothing to prevent anyone in line to the throne from marrying a member of a visible minority. Prince William's choice of Kate Middleton over Zadie Smith was perhaps a missed opportunity.
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

It was purely a rhetorical flourish.

But frankly, a Head of State is more important in some ways than the people who run the country. They are the country, they define it and what it stands for both at home and on the world stage.

I for one don't want that important role open to any old dickhead who knows how to win a popularity contest.

So essentially the monarchy's main job is making sure the British feel good about being British, and that other countries have good feelings towards the UK (and associated Commonwealth nations)? Is that a fair summary?

quote:
quote:
I wasn't aware that I'd ever argued otherwise.
No, but mudfrog and Enoch both advanced this argument. I just wanted you to clarify your thoughts on the matter.

quote:
It's quite simple for me - deciding who the Head of State shall be by a democratic process leaves open the possibility that my Head of State - the person who encapsulates and defines my whole country - will be Tony Fucking Blair or (God forbid) even David "Looks Pretty And Can Kick A Ball Well" Beckham. Keeping the monarchy eliminates that possibility. Argument over, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not convinced that a monarchical system automatically eliminates unsuitable candidates as you suggest. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism at hand to remove a truly disasterous monarch on anything other than a voluntary basis, so it seems as if you're arguing that the process of being raised within the royal family automatically promotes whatever virtues you think are necessary to fulfil the role of national good-feelings generator. That doesn't seem immediately obvious.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Actual work gets your hands dirty. So it's all extraordinary that the monarchists here think it's such a compelling point in their favor that duly elected leaders have dirty hands.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is that really true, though? When people think of Germany and Italy, I bet they think of Angela Merkel and Mario Monti (the heads of government) rather than Joachim Gauck and Giorgio Napolitano (the heads of state). (Certainly I do - I had to look up the last two names on Wikipedia.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to New Yorker's question about the British Communists:

Being a Communist is allowed in England (unlike certain other countries). They can run for Parliament, and theoretically can persuade enough people to vote for them. The chances of them developing policies that are attractive enough to give them any significant power are quite small, however.

So they don't waste their effort on pointless symbolic policies. The Queen represents the people as a figurehead, and would be compelled to accept them if they did get elected - and this would provide a symbol of success and acceptance that they desire. Why demand to get rid of her?

I could also point out that one of the Toronto-area ridings in Canada elected a Communist for many years. He was a good constituency man, and did no harm otherwise, so why get in a lather about his party?

Same for the PQ: More often than not they did a good job, on the grounds that what was good for their constituents was usually also good for other constituents right across the country. This annoyed the (small-c) conservatives,but that in itself is often a good thing.

As pointed out above, these people all accepted the G-G (= Queen) as the symbol of civic acceptance for them a neutral figure operating outside of party idiocy.

Do you want medals presented by a political hack doing a photo op, or by someone who can speak for the whole country?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
whether we have a monarch or a president.

I dson't see why6 we need either.

When people say to republicans like me, "What would you put in its place?" I am inclined to say, "Nothing. But if you need someone to shake hands and greet visiting dignitaries, why not give the role to one of the pearly kings and queens? They could each serve for a year."

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
So essentially the monarchy's main job is making sure the British feel good about being British, and that other countries have good feelings towards the UK (and associated Commonwealth nations)? Is that a fair summary?

If you want to phrase it that way, yes. The monarch is a figurehead.

quote:
I'm not convinced that a monarchical system automatically eliminates unsuitable candidates as you suggest.
Not automatically, no. But given that you've got their entire lives from birth in which to train them up properly, it gives you the best possible chance of ensuring that they're up to the task when their time comes.

quote:
There doesn't seem to be a mechanism at hand to remove a truly disasterous monarch on anything other than a voluntary basis,
Sure there is. We just haven't had to use it since 1649 [Smile] .

quote:
so it seems as if you're arguing that the process of being raised within the royal family automatically promotes whatever virtues you think are necessary to fulfil the role of national good-feelings generator. That doesn't seem immediately obvious.
Like I said, it gives you the longest possible time to train them for the role.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
When people think of Germany and Italy, I bet they think of Angela Merkel and Mario Monti (the heads of government) rather than Joachim Gauck and Giorgio Napolitano (the heads of state).

Italy is still Berlusconi in my mind.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[To Horseman Bree and others:]

I have never, ever seen any campaigning for the Communist party over here. Nor have I ever lived in a constituency with a Communist candidate.

Far-left people tend to vote Respect (which has one MP) or whatever agglomeration the Socialist Workers Party is currently standing in. The latter as far as I know have no MPs or councillors, although they are very good at turning up to demos with about a million SWP banners to make themselves look more prominent than they are.

[ 24. October 2012, 16:14: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

quote:
quote:

If you want to phrase it that way, yes. The monarch is a figurehead.
This comes to one of the contradictions at the heart of the monarchist argument. The idea that the monarch should be popular (i.e. generate a lot of positive feelings at home and abroad), but not someone "who knows how to win a popularity contest". I take the opposite view. If we accept that the monarch's primary (and, in modern times, only) job is to be popular, not knowing "how to win a popularity contest" is failing the monarch's one remaining function.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:

Strange. I thought we'd done that in 1688 and 1936.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I also find some tension in the idea that monarchs are somehow more virtuous than slimy, elected politicians, and the idea that we need a monarch to be above politics. Which is it- are they really more virtuous, or are they merely protected from the realities of running a government? Are they mere cardboard cut-outs standing in for nationalist pretensions, or are they heads of state because they really deserve it?

By the by, while your Queen is cutting ribbons at school openings and pinning medals on people, the people that jump to my mind with the words "the Leader of the United Kingdom" are Winston Churchill, Tony Blaire, and David Cameron. But that's just me.

[ 24. October 2012, 17:13: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
I also find some tension in the idea that monarchs are somehow more virtuous than slimy, elected politicians, and the idea that we need a monarch to be above politics. Which is it- are they really more virtuous, or are they merely protected from the realities of running a government? Are they mere cardboard cut-outs standing in for nationalist pretensions, or are they heads of state because they really deserve it?

By the by, while your Queen is cutting ribbons at school openings and pinning medals on people, the people that jump to my mind with the words "the Leader of the United Kingdom" are Winston Churchill, Tony Blaire, and David Cameron. But that's just me.

Zach82 you are failing to appreciate that different peoples, even though you think they may speak the same language as you do, look at these things in very different ways.

Apart from during the 2nd World War, Winston Churchill was quite a divisive figure. Tony Blair and David Cameron both are. A large element within the population would be unable to see either as personifications of the nation, figure to whom they could be loyal and on whose behalf they are prepared to lay down their lives.

From over here, Barak Obama looks quite a good President, a person round whom peoples' loyalties could crystallise - unlike his immediate predecessor. However, it is obvious even from reading threads on the Ship, that he is not seen that way in the country of which he is leader.

I am not sure that I can see how, without a
non-political constitutional monarch or president, you deal with that, but doubtless, there must be some way because otherwise the US army would only fight if its entire personnel changed each time there was an election.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm not sure it's a matter of slimy, elected politicians versus non-elected virtuous heads of state. It's a matter of politics being, by definition, divisive. Some people will have voted for any given POTUS, others will have voted against him.

Ideally, once the election is done with, the majority of the country can get behind the elected POTUS as head of state even if they oppose his policies and prefer to see him defeated in the next election. And we have seen this at times in our history -- particularly during times of national crisis.

But over recent decades, we've also seen very close presidential elections that have revealed a polarized electorate and that have been followed by bumper stickers that say things like "Not My President" and "Don't Blame Me! I Voted for _____." I think one need only compare the popularity ratings of any recent president with those of Elizabeth II to compare the potential effects of a constitutional monarchy (where the monarch is required to remain apolitical) and a system where such a large part of the electorate not only votes against but actively opposes the political positions of a president.

Does that mean I think we should ditch our system for a monarchy? Hardly. It just means that any system will have its advantages and its disadvantes, and we have decided that the advantages of our system outweigh the disadvantages of electing politicians as heads of state, that the benefits of our system are worth the risks of having a head of state that large segments of the population may oppose bitterly. Other countries can and do come to different conclusions as to what works best for them.

quote:
I rather suspect that Winston Churchill would have pointed to George VI as at the least sharing the leadership of the UK and the Commonwealth during the Second World War. His eulogy on George's death would certainly seem to so indicate.

[ 24. October 2012, 17:55: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
quote:

Perhaps he only counts the ones which get collects in the BCP.

1688. Lord of All power and might, author and giver of all good things, thrones included: Graft in our hears the love of thy Word, increase in your servant leaders true religion and, failing that, a swift boat to France, nourish us with all goodness and a crown shared by two people, and by thy great mercy spare us from Italian queen consorts, through etc

1936. O God, whose never-failing providence ordereth all things in heaven and earth: We hunmbly beseecch to to put away from us all hurtful things, including chain-smoking monarchs with argyle socks, and to show us that even the least of princes unable to pronounce shibboleth may lead us, through etc

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
whether we have a monarch or a president.

I dson't see why6 we need either.

Hear hear!

Who remembers who the head of state of Switzerland is? Not even the Swiss. Are they bothered?

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps he only counts the ones which get collects in the BCP.

[Snigger]

More than just those of course.

1688/89 - James II removed by Parliament (with a bit of assistance from the aforementioned Prince of Orange and John Churchill) Real wars over that one, including the famous Battle of the Boyne (the Pope was on King Billy's side)

1714/15 - George I put in place by a succession of Acts of Parliament (going back a few years) and some nifty stacking of various committees with his friends. There was a war or two over that one as well.

1810/11 - Parliament replaced the king with the Prince Regent - laws were passed without royal assent as there were no royals capable of assenting to them. No war over that one. Maybe because Napoleon was already supplying all the wars the market could bear and we had no need of additional ones.

1936/37 - Parliament made the king an offer he couldn't refuse. Not just one Parliament, a whole gang of them. Even the Kiwis and the Irish got in on the act. If he had tried to say no he'd have been sleeping with the fishes. No shortage of wars round about hten either, but none of them specifically to do with Edward VIII. Even if he was a fan of Mussolini.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
non-political constitutional monarch or president, you deal with that, but doubtless, there must be some way because otherwise the US army would only fight if its entire personnel changed each time there was an election.

My theory is that this is why the American flag has taken on such significance in American culture and civic life, a significance often not found elsewhere. Our political system leaves something of a void in this regard, and that void has been filled by the flag. It, rather than the president or any other person, has become the symbol and embodiment, as it were, of the nation.

Just for one example: Your national anthem is about your monarch; ours is about our flag.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Who remembers who the head of state of Switzerland is? Not even the Swiss. Are they bothered?

They have a "collective" head of state -- the 7-member Federal Council, which currently includes members of five different political parties.

The Swiss always did have their own way of doing things. (And I must say, it sounds rather Calvinist to me, placing power in councils rather than in individuals. [Two face] )

[ 24. October 2012, 18:06: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

My theory is that this is why the American flag has taken on such significance in American culture and civic life, a significance often not found elsewhere. Our political system leaves something of a void in this regard, and that void has been filled by the flag. It, rather than the president or any other person, has become the symbol and embodiment, as it were, of the nation.

Just for one example: Your national anthem is about your monarch; ours is about our flag.

A similar significance is often placed around the U.S. Constitution (and, theoretically, the ideas contained therein, thought that's a bit more hit-or-miss).

Interesting the U.S. flag wasn't a particularly popular symbol in the early years of the country. It wasn't unpopular, it just wasn't in particularly widespread use. It was flown on army bases, post offices, and other facilities associated with the federal government but wasn't widely displayed in the broader society. The American flag first became really popular around the time of the U.S. Civil War, probably because for the first time there was a competitor flag.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
A similar significance is often placed around the U.S. Constitution (and, theoretically, the ideas contained therein, thought that's a bit more hit-or-miss).

Yes, you're right. But even though written, the constitution is a bit more abstract to serve as the symbol or embodiment of the nation. We can all see a flag. (Everywhere we look, these days.)

When I was admitted to the bar, I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution, as does every elected official in the country. But it is the Pledge of Allegiance (to the flag) that is taught to every school child and is recited at civic and public gatherings all the time (though many choose not to participate, as is their right).

quote:
Interesting the U.S. flag wasn't a particularly popular symbol in the early years of the country. It wasn't unpopular, it just wasn't in particularly widespread use. It was flown on army bases, post offices, and other facilities associated with the federal government but wasn't widely displayed in the broader society. The American flag first became really popular around the time of the U.S. Civil War, probably because for the first time there was a competitor flag.
Yes, the Civil War is when it took on added significance. Of course, the Civil War is also when the idea of the United States as a nation in and of itself rather than a federation of states took deeper hold. It is around the time of the Civil War that we start to see the US referred to in the singular ("the United States is . . .") rather than plural ("the United States are . . .").

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Zach82 you are failing to appreciate that different peoples, even though you think they may speak the same language as you do, look at these things in very different ways.
I am perfectly capable of understanding something that you can clearly define and explain. Even though I'm an American.

Which I assume was the subtext of this statement.

quote:
I'm not sure it's a matter of slimy, elected politicians versus non-elected virtuous heads of state.
That certainly is how it's been framed on this thread again and again, by more than one person. This is my issue. I'm not attacking your monarch. I really don't care about her. Why do I have to keep repeating that?

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
quote:
I'm not sure it's a matter of slimy, elected politicians versus non-elected virtuous heads of state.
That certainly is how it's been framed on this thread again and again, by more than one person. This is my issue. I'm not attacking your monarch. I really don't care about her. Why do I have to keep repeating that?
My monarch? That's me you're quoting, Zach, and I'm an American. I'd have thought that was pretty clear from my posts in this thread, including the post from which you quoted, where I said:

quote:
Does that mean I think we should ditch our system for a monarchy? Hardly.
My guess is that you have to keep repeating it because some perceive you as responding to what you think they meant instead of what they actually said. Reading back through this thread, I just don't see things being framed as slimy politican vs virtuous monarch "again and again" the way you seem to.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
My guess is that you have to keep repeating it because some perceive you as responding to what you think they meant instead of what they actually said. Reading back through this thread, I just don't see things being framed as slimy politican vs virtuous monarch "again and again" the way you seem to.
Look closer at Marvin the Martian and Aumbry's posts, where it's only the most obvious.

quote:
My monarch? That's me you're quoting, Zach, and I'm an American. I'd have thought that was pretty clear from my posts in this thread, including the post from which you quoted, where I said:
Sorry I mixed up your nationality, but my point there holds. I don't give two craps about monarchs. I'm not against them. I just don't think they are better people than elected officials.

Or how about this. I care about the queen of England about as much as a care about the American flag.

[ 24. October 2012, 19:58: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
quote:
Look closer at Marvin the Martian and Aumbry's posts, where it's only the most obvious.
I have, and have just done so again. I don't see it as obvious at all, and I note that Aumbry at least twice pointed out that she was not arguing what you claimed she was arguing.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016