homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Monarchies (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Monarchies
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then interpret this for me.

quote:
If, at the end of the First World War the Americans whilst bewitched by their own political system had not insisted in dismantling the German Monarchy with the inevitable loss of stability that entailed, then the history of the second half of the twentieth century would probably have been far less bloody.

Anyone who wants to do away with the British monarchy has only to cross the Channel to see what living in a republic would be like. Sarkozy or Hollande take anyone's fancy? President Blair? President Cameron? As for America the less said the better.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin stated his confidence in democratically elected figures thusly,

quote:
I wasn't aware that I'd ever argued otherwise. It's quite simple for me - deciding who the Head of State shall be by a democratic process leaves open the possibility that my Head of State - the person who encapsulates and defines my whole country - will be Tony Fucking Blair or (God forbid) even David "Looks Pretty And Can Kick A Ball Well" Beckham. Keeping the monarchy eliminates that possibility. Argument over, as far as I'm concerned.

[ 24. October 2012, 20:38: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zach, neither of of those examples compare slimy politicians to virtuous monarchs. They compare systems where the head of state is essentially outside of the political system to those where the head of state is chosen within the political system. Aumbrey noted a few times that democracy is not limited to republics and also noted the number of political systems in history where the monarchs were elected rather than inheriting the throne.

As best I can tell, the comparisons that pretty much everybody has been making in this thread have to do with the pros and cons of a head of state chosen within the political process, and therefore chosen by the people but with the potential of being a divisive rather than a unifying figure, and a head of state chosen (by whatever method) outside the political process, who may be seen as unifying but also may be seen as imposed rather than chosen by the people and anachronistic. Well, that and comparisons about what model has been more stable historically.

But as best I can tell, the only person who has attempted to equate pliticians with "slimy" and monarchs with "virtuous" is you.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

So in your mind, comparing "Tony Fucking Blaire" with David Beckham isn't a value judgement, and blaming the Nazis on democracy is all just weighing pros and cons?

[ 24. October 2012, 21:03: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I don't give two craps about monarchs. I'm not against them. I just don't think they are better people than elected officials.

And this is the main problem - the argument seems to focus on the personality. 'Better people?' What's that got to do with anything?

Constitutional Monarchy is a system, not a person - and even less, a family.
At the moment we have a good and popular person who fulfils the public role, but the constitutional/governmental role could be quite adequately done by someone with no people skills whatever.

It is the government of the UK that is the costitutional monarchy/parliamentary democracy. Criticising the incumbent is entirely irrelevant and useless, for it cannot change anything.

The PM rules in the name of the Crown and the Queen is the embodiment of that Crown. She is not the Crown and neither does she rule. She reigns and laws are signed by her and drafted in her name, but it is the crown she wears that is the symbol of monarchical power.

She could be in a coma and the Crown would still act as the supreme authority in the land.

[ 24. October 2012, 21:18: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Which is all well and good, Mudfrog, and I actually have no problem with anything you said. So long as governments are basically democratic, as the UK's is, who cares what fiddly bits are tacked on to it?

[ 24. October 2012, 21:25: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So in your mind, comparing "Tony Fucking Blaire" with David Beckham isn't a value judgement, and blaming the Nazis on democracy is all just weighing pros and cons?

As to the first, I take it as a value judgment on Blair's and Labour's policies and on popularity vs fitness, not as a proposition that politicians are slimy or monarchs virtuous.

As to the second, I don't think Aumbrey blamed the Nazis on democracy. I think she blamed the fertile ground for the Nazis on an attitude of America Knows What's Best For the World. Two very different things.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
As to the first, I take it as a value judgment on Blair's and Labour's policies and on popularity vs fitness, not as a proposition that politicians are slimy or monarchs virtuous.

As to the second, I don't think Aumbrey blamed the Nazis on democracy. I think she blamed the fertile ground for the Nazis on an attitude of America Knows What's Best For the World. Two very different things.

Come on Nick, have the charity for me that you have to strain so mightily to give Marvin and Aumbry. I didn't get my concerns from just nowhere and you know it.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which is all well and good, Mudfrog, and I actually have no problem with anything you said. So long as governments are basically democratic, as the UK's is, who cares what fiddly bits are tacked on to it?

But it's not 'tacked on' - it's foundational. The Crown IS the Government. What has changed is that the Crown is no longer the person - as in the days of Henry VIII for example. The powers of the King may have been devolved to parliament but they are still there. What we vote for is which government do we want to exercise the powers of the Crown.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

For me, democracy is about the ends of freedom of discourse and life and liberty and all that. So long as a government protects its citizens' rights, it's window-dressing to me. I don't really romanticize the flag or the founding fathers or any of that myself, so it's not like I am holding the US system up as an example over the UK.

[ 24. October 2012, 22:41: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Come on Nick, have the charity for me that you have to strain so mightily to give Marvin and Aumbry. I didn't get my concerns from just nowhere and you know it.

Sorry Zack; perhaps it's the lawyer in me, but I just don't see them saying what you're ascribing to them. As others are noting, they're talking about the relative merits of systems, not individuals who may or may not be slimy or virtuous. It's you, I think, who is reading that into the discussion.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Sorry Zack; perhaps it's the lawyer in me, but I just don't see them saying what you're ascribing to them. As others are noting, they're talking about the relative merits of systems, not individuals who may or may not be slimy or virtuous. It's you, I think, who is reading that into the discussion.
Then get over it.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Then get over it.

There's nothing to get over.

[ 24. October 2012, 23:05: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, we interrupt the special program to bring you the regular program of this thread.

Would anyone like to consider the role of the monarchy in Scandinavia? The monarchs there seem to be amiable and respectable heads of state, well-known in their countries, and suited to being the "national focus" when needed.

I could point out that the Norwegians elected theirs in 1905. The others have much longer continuous lines, but were still put into office by "national will".

The Dutch are similar. Maybe it works better in smaller, more homogeneous places ... or is it colder ones?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Again, they're hereditary presidents (in a parliamentary/weak presidential system). That's how monarchs work best.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Another good thing about a monarchy is that it is not party political. It doesn't have an agenda other than The Nation. It cannot be bought, bribed, coerced; it doesn't need to curry the voters' favour or look at opinion polls, exit polls or popularity polls. It doesn't need to get its message across or keep an eye on electability. It doesn't need to campaign or make promises.

The Monarchy is just there and a great many people trust it because it's not political.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where did this weird notion that America dismantled the German monarchy come from?

It was the German Revolution of 1918/1919 that finished the Kaiser. He'd been effectively cut off from any command over the army since 1917, had lost the support of the officers as a class, and many regiments were on the verge of mutiny. Even his own guards probably would not have risked their lives to save him, and when serious mutinies broke out in the Navy he had nowhere to go but away. He was too stupid to see it though, and didn't realise what was happening until Prince Max told him that the army would no longer fight for the monarchy - he thought that the only way of getting the soldiers back on side and avoiding a communist revolution was a centre-left coalition to exclude the far left, and the only way the Social Democrats and Liberals would join that was a constitutional republic. In the end even bloody Hindenburg toild him to go. And he went before the Armistice, not after it, and months before the Treaty of Versailles - there were no American (or French or British) troops on German soil the day the Kaiser ran away.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Where did this weird notion that America dismantled the German monarchy come from?
Wherever it came from, independence for Poland and evacuation of German armies from France and Belgium is "high minded drivel" there.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Wherever it came from, independence for Poland and evacuation of German armies from France and Belgium is "high minded drivel" there.
I think the 'high minded drivel' previously referred to was the idea that nationality should be based on race, which is implicit in the concept of 'national self-determination'.

Suddenly there were millions of Germans, Hungarians, Romanians, Slovenes, and others who were in the 'wrong' country.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Wilson hardly invented nationalism, and the idea had plenty of traffic both before the War and since. In fact, the Balkan nations had already been independent before WWI.

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Another good thing about a monarchy is that it is not party political. It doesn't have an agenda other than The Nation. It cannot be bought, bribed, coerced; it doesn't need to curry the voters' favour or look at opinion polls, exit polls or popularity polls. It doesn't need to get its message across or keep an eye on electability. It doesn't need to campaign or make promises.

The Monarchy is just there and a great many people trust it because it's not political.

Politics only enters the picture if the head of state has executive powers. If the monarch's only role is ceremonial and symbolic (as it currently is in Canada) there's no need for promises or pandering of any kind for the elected equivalent.

And a powerless head of state wouldn't need to be elected by popular vote, either. In Canada, the monarch's representative, the Governor General, is now appointed by the queen on the advice of one person -- our prime minister. By convention, the queen has absolutely no say in the matter. How much different, functionally, would it be if our head of state were appointed by Parliament, or the Senate (itself an appointed body) or the Companions of the Order of Canada?

Heck, I'd even consider a hereditary symbolic head of state as long as they were Canadian and lived in Canada.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I might go for the "no head of state at all" line. In the very least the power of the executive branch of the US government needs to be trimmed back. The nationalist sentiments that sustain the presidency and monarchy alike are most odious, if'n you ask me.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And this is the main problem - the argument seems to focus on the personality. 'Better people?' What's that got to do with anything?

I think it does matter if the monarch is intended to be a symbol or figurehead or embodiment. If the UK is to be symbolised by the monarch, it matters whether we are being symbolised by someone who is generally decent (like the Queen) or someone who is a complete knob.
quote:
Wilson hardly invented nationalism, and the idea had plenty of traffic both before the War and since. In fact, the Balkan nations had already been independent before WWI.

True (and indeed the Balkans had been fighting each other over the boundaries of Serbia), and in fairness it's hard to see what else could have been done. But I think there's a difference between accepting a dubious but pragmatic solution, and claiming a dubious situation as virtuous.
quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
Politics only enters the picture if the head of state has executive powers. If the monarch's only role is ceremonial and symbolic (as it currently is in Canada) there's no need for promises or pandering of any kind for the elected equivalent.

I think that depends on the stability of the rest of the situation.

e.g. In the Czech Republic the president has very few powers, but they are supposed to step in if the government collapses. Czech politics being quite volatile, this happens quite frequently (I believe Václav Klaus swore in six governments in seven years or something like that), so the president in practice has quite a lot of power that he wouldn't have if the other politicians behaved themselves.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
True (and indeed the Balkans had been fighting each other over the boundaries of Serbia), and in fairness it's hard to see what else could have been done. But I think there's a difference between accepting a dubious but pragmatic solution, and claiming a dubious situation as virtuous.
And I think there is a difference between "a dubious but pragmatic solution" and "high-minded drivel that makes American republicanism responsible for the end of the German monarchy and the rise of the Nazis."

--------------------

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The implications of ethnic based nationalism were clear in the Balkans at least from the mutual massacres during the Greek War of Independence in the 1820s. Wilson didn't invent nationalism but that if anything offers even fewer grounds to excuse him for not recognising the likely implications of his policy.

[ 25. October 2012, 13:44: Message edited by: Pre-cambrian ]

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

You won't get any arguments from me that nationalism is one of the more odious inventions of the human mind. But saying it was Wilson's idea is ridiculous. These nations already existed, and had already fought over territory before. The German government asked the United States to arbitrate the terms of surrender, if I'm not mistaken.

[ 25. October 2012, 13:47: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You won't get any arguments from me that nationalism is one of the more odious inventions of the human mind. But saying it was Wilson's idea is ridiculous.

Er, who has?

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

If you'll read the thread, you'll see that American republicanism and the "high minded drivel" of the 14 points are said to be responsible for the fall of the German monarchy and the rise of the Nazis.

The only high minded parts I see are against secret alliances and the establishment of the League of Nations, but I can't see how those are drivel. As for the rest, in hind sight one can see that it didn't work out, but it all seems very pragmatic to me.

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

I think that depends on the stability of the rest of the situation.

e.g. In the Czech Republic the president has very few powers, but they are supposed to step in if the government collapses. Czech politics being quite volatile, this happens quite frequently (I believe Václav Klaus swore in six governments in seven years or something like that), so the president in practice has quite a lot of power that he wouldn't have if the other politicians behaved themselves.

Yes, of course. I'm speaking very parochially here, about Canada's situation only.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
I might go for the "no head of state at all" line.

One could always take the North Korean line, and have a corpse for one's head of state.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
One could always take the North Korean line, and have a corpse for one's head of state.

Maybe our head of state could be an actual head.

--------------------

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

quote:
If you'll read the thread, you'll see that American republicanism and the "high minded drivel" of the 14 points are said to be responsible for the fall of the German monarchy and the rise of the Nazis.

What has this got to do with my question (in response to your statement) about who had said that nationalism was Wilson's idea?

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
What has this got to do with my question (in response to your statement) about who had said that nationalism was Wilson's idea?
If we're going to blame all that crap on Wilson, we might as well figure out precisely what Wilson did to cause it, eh?

I am astonished you want to argue about this rather than blaming the Nazis on American republicanism. Apparently my ideas here are even more ridiculous than that.

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought that the November Revolution took place because the German powers that be thought the Kaiser had to go to satisfy the Americans but not that the monarchy itself necessarily had to go. I seem to recall that even the Social Democrats wanted a constitutional monarchy. I don't recall that in either Germany or Austria the population were never given the option to choose for a republic or to retain the monarchy. Wilhelm was a fool, but Karl was a very decent guy who did not deserve to loose his throne.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

quote:
quote:
If we're going to blame all that crap on Wilson, we might as well figure out precisely what Wilson did to cause it, eh?

I am astonished you want to argue about this rather than blaming the Nazis on American republicanism. Apparently my ideas here are even more ridiculous than that.

No. Simply that your ideas here seem to bear little resemblance to what anyone else has posted.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

The German monarchy collapsed because the army and the German people alike blamed the Kaiser for the war. If any ideology had more influence it was communism, not republicanism. Mass strikes started happening in Germany before the US even entered the war.

I'd point out that the Russian monarchy had collapsed during the course of WW1, very shortly before the German one.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And a powerless head of state wouldn't need to be elected by popular vote, either. In Canada, the monarch's representative, the Governor General, is now appointed by the queen on the advice of one person -- our prime minister. By convention, the queen has absolutely no say in the matter. How much different, functionally, would it be if our head of state were appointed by Parliament, or the Senate (itself an appointed body) or the Companions of the Order of Canada?

Heck, I'd even consider a hereditary symbolic head of state as long as they were Canadian and lived in Canada.

Appointed, or more precisely, elected by Parliament would give us either a compromise political candidate (such as Ray Hnatyshyn) who is personally agreeable to the leaders of several parties, or one imposed by a majority party that felt like doing so (Jeanne Sauvé). We would not have had Adrienne Clarkson or Michaelle Jean, who were both disliked by a wide range of politicians. The Globe and Mail's perpetual campaign to have a GG elected by the companions of the Order of Canada would probably get us (surprise!) a companion of the Order of Canada, preferably a member of the Globe's editorial board.

The most practical if the most unlikely solution for Canadians is for us to have a hereditary monarch hanging their hat (crown?) at Rideau Hall.

In terms of powers, if a parliamentary situation requires refereeing, this will have to be done either by the head of state or their designate. As we found out in 2008 (Stephen Harper is permanently scarred by the discovery that Canada was a constitutional monarchy and that he was nor the president) the office is not simply ceremonial and never can be. Roland Michener once described his constitutional function as similar to the role of a fire extinguisher in a hall-- decorative until such time as it's needed, and then it is really needed.

One of the disadvantages of the elected president in a parliamentary setting (as in Ireland) is that politics is involved in: a) the election, and b) relations with the PM of the day. In threads past I have posted about Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh's resignation and Mary Robinson's deadly campaign against Charles Haughey. Do not for a moment assume that presidencies, however ceremonial, are politics-free zones.

One of the real reasons for the relatively high (and illogical) popular fondness for monarchs is that they are not seen as politicians. Like it or lump it, the public taste for politicians as a group is not very high.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
No. Simply that your ideas here seem to bear little resemblance to what anyone else has posted.
I am trying to figure out how WW2 can be blamed on American Republicanism. The apparent connection is the "high minded drivel" of the 14 points. I am trying to work out where the high minded drivel is, and there was talk up thread about playing to nationalist aspirations. My argument here is that none of the nationalist aspirations in the 14 points are an invention of Wilson, so that can't be where the high minded drivel is. There is nothing high minded or even unrealistic about arbitrating the very nationalist aspirations that led up to the war.

--------------------

aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
I always thought that the November Revolution took place because the German powers that be thought the Kaiser had to go to satisfy the Americans but not that the monarchy itself necessarily had to go. I seem to recall that even the Social Democrats wanted a constitutional monarchy. I don't recall that in either Germany or Austria the population were never given the option to choose for a republic or to retain the monarchy. Wilhelm was a fool, but Karl was a very decent guy who did not deserve to loose his throne.

Weimar republic

You are quite right. The Americans under Wilson made it clear that peace talk conditions could only be set if a civil government was installed. See the Wikipedia article under "controlled revolution".

Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Wilson demanded a civil government because the government of Germany had completely collapsed and one can hardly arbitrate with an anarchy.

It says right in that article you linked to that attempts to establish a constitutional monarchy were thwarted by furious German troops returning from the front and battles between right and left political extremists.

[ 25. October 2012, 15:57: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I further add that the US's importance in WW1 is generally exaggerated, and the United States was hardly in a position to demand the establishment of a republic all on its own little self. No one stood up for the German monarchy in the end, not even Germany.

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
As we found out in 2008 (Stephen Harper is permanently scarred by the discovery that Canada was a constitutional monarchy and that he was nor the president) the office is not simply ceremonial and never can be. Roland Michener once described his constitutional function as similar to the role of a fire extinguisher in a hall-- decorative until such time as it's needed, and then it is really needed.

True, there is some power in the position, but it's not executive power, and carries no ability to set policy, so the kind of political campaigning that Mudfrog was referring to wouldn't be needed.

quote:

Appointed, or more precisely, elected by Parliament would give us either a compromise political candidate (such as Ray Hnatyshyn) who is personally agreeable to the leaders of several parties, or one imposed by a majority party that felt like doing so (Jeanne Sauvé). We would not have had Adrienne Clarkson or Michaelle Jean, who were both disliked by a wide range of politicians. The Globe and Mail's perpetual campaign to have a GG elected by the companions of the Order of Canada would probably get us (surprise!) a companion of the Order of Canada, preferably a member of the Globe's editorial board.

I'd still prefer any of these to a British monarch.

Quite simply, I'd like to see an end to any vestige of Canada as a colony.

--------------------

my blog

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lothirel posts:
quote:
True, there is some power in the position, but it's not executive power, and carries no ability to set policy, so the kind of political campaigning that Mudfrog was referring to wouldn't be needed.
One of the reasons I keep on referring to the Irish presidency is that it was modelled by de Valera on how the GG of Canada operated. Dev saw that, with a presidency with powers similar to that of the GG, the links with the House of Windsor would atrophy and be easily cut.

But I can assure you that political campaigning à la Mudfrog happens with this model. I was in Ireland for the 1973 campaign between Childers and O'Higgins and it was most disagreeable. There were four presidents in my five and a half years there. I am enough in touch with Ireland and my Irish friends to know that they found ensuing elections in the 1980s and 1990s distasteful and embarrassing. There was no shortage of campaigning.

I would much rather that we have a resident monarch as we currently have, in the Canadian manner, the worst of both worlds. We have the unrepresentativenss of a hereditary monarchy allied with the transience of a president-- we have managed to build a system where we lack the longevity and non-partisan disinteredness of a monarch as well as any real choice in the matter. But, as I noted above, the best solution for us is the least likely.

In the meantime, let me repeat that an office with political powers, filled by a political process, will be political.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
As we found out in 2008 (Stephen Harper is permanently scarred by the discovery that Canada was a constitutional monarchy and that he was nor the president) the office is not simply ceremonial and never can be. Roland Michener once described his constitutional function as similar to the role of a fire extinguisher in a hall-- decorative until such time as it's needed, and then it is really needed.

quote:

You watched too much American TV as a kid. Evolution does not mean revolution. Schoolhouse Rock should have been banned in Canada by the CRTC.

Quebec hasn't been under French authority for 250 years as still uses French civil law, not to mention the language. The Canadian Forces' uniforms are British-inspired, head to toe. The Army proudly wears its red coats for its full dress uniform; the RCMP wears Red Serge for a reason.

Lawyers in Superior Court still gown as barristers.

Growing up does not mean abandoning your family or denying your roots. I like the monarchy. Nations don't die when they are overthrown; they die when people stop believing in them. The monarchy is a great mix of ceremony, emotion and tradition that lets people believe in the nation. Politics is what the Crown does, and for that we have the Crown's advisors, the Government.

EVERY country has pomp and ceremony, it's part and parcel of being a country.

I like Augustine's idea of saying the Act of Union and the Act of Settlement are subject to the Charter of Rights & Freedoms. [Big Grin]

Just get Harry to marry a beautiful, very Catholic Quebecoise, preferably a traceable descendant of Les Filles du Roi (The King's Daughters). Not literally the daughters of Louis XIV, but women gathered in France to relieve the man-heaviness of Nouvelle France.

For full effect, said Quebecoise should have an ancestor who was a Seigneur or Army Officer who demonstrably kissed Louis XIV's arse. What? That's how things were done back in the Ancien Regime.

They can raise fluently bilingual children, split their time between Rideau Hall in Ottawa and La Citadelle in Quebec City and whatever private retreat they can find (let's assume somewhere in BC).

Long live the House of Windsor-Rideau!

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The main reason the republic referendum here failed was the split between those wanting a popularly elected president (without bothering to define the powers of the office) and those proposing an electoral college comprised of all Federal parliamentarians, with a requirement for much more than a simple majority. This latter group would have given the president the same powers as the monarch, no more and no less.

Madame and I preferred this latter, minimalist model. It required little change to present legislation, required that to be elected a person needed support across the community, and did not set up an office with a power base distinct to that of the prime minister. In other words, the conflicts inherent in the present Russian and French constitutions were not there. In the result, the bickering between the 2 groups meant that the referendum failed. Little chance now of a fresh referendum getting through, and the general republican argument has vanished from the political scene.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
quote:
quote:

quote:

You watched too much American TV as a kid. Evolution does not mean revolution. Schoolhouse Rock should have been banned in Canada by the CRTC.

Quebec hasn't been under French authority for 250 years as still uses French civil law, not to mention the language. The Canadian Forces' uniforms are British-inspired, head to toe. The Army proudly wears its red coats for its full dress uniform; the RCMP wears Red Serge for a reason.

Lawyers in Superior Court still gown as barristers.

Growing up does not mean abandoning your family or denying your roots. I like the monarchy. Nations don't die when they are overthrown; they die when people stop believing in them. The monarchy is a great mix of ceremony, emotion and tradition that lets people believe in the nation. Politics is what the Crown does, and for that we have the Crown's advisors, the Government.

EVERY country has pomp and ceremony, it's part and parcel of being a country.

I like Augustine's idea of saying the Act of Union and the Act of Settlement are subject to the Charter of Rights & Freedoms. [Big Grin]

Just get Harry to marry a beautiful, very Catholic Quebecoise, preferably a traceable descendant of Les Filles du Roi (The King's Daughters). Not literally the daughters of Louis XIV, but women gathered in France to relieve the man-heaviness of Nouvelle France.

For full effect, said Quebecoise should have an ancestor who was a Seigneur or Army Officer who demonstrably kissed Louis XIV's arse. What? That's how things were done back in the Ancien Regime.

They can raise fluently bilingual children, split their time between Rideau Hall in Ottawa and La Citadelle in Quebec City and whatever private retreat they can find (let's assume somewhere in BC).

Long live the House of Windsor-Rideau!

I'm not talking about revisionist history - let me revise my position as "removing all vestiges of colonialism from our governance." I'm quite happy to celebrate our past, but it's time to grow up and cut the apron strings.

And what is this Schoolhouse Rock of which you speak? I've never seen it, and I watched very little TV of any kind when I was a kid (1960s). That was quite a patronizing remark you made. Most of my thinking is informed by reading, and I read a lot of university-level Canadian history and politics texts in my daily work.

--------------------

my blog

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

Lothiriel is right in one sense-- the British monarchy is not ours in a cultural or emotional sense any more. That we share it, albeit in the same way as Jamaica and Saint Lucia, is less and less comprehensible to people and not only to fans of Schoolhouse Rock (which I have never seen). I fear that I have been known to really annoy monarchist friends by saying that, while I support the institution, its foreign aspect gives it a limited life span.

We need to note that the younger Windsors are less oriented to their non-UK identity-- they don't have the multi-national consciousness required of the job. Remember how, when Prince Andrew wanted to become an ambassador for UK business, nobody bothered to think how this might be interpreted by the realms and businesses of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Barbados etc. When the Queen goes (presumably toward the end of the current century), the strong emotional connexion will largely go with her. Charles' grénola consciousness will keep him in the Canadian job but, after that.... Perhaps if we could persuade Prince Harry to marry Irshad Manji??

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I was thinking the foreignness of the monarchy for Canada was one of the prime virtues. You don't gotta keep an established Church to put the crown on their heads, you can turn off the television when they are being gobsmacked silly, but you still get commemorative crockery when one of the kicks or is born.

If you would just get rid of their power to dissolve parliament for any old reason, it would be all of the fun with none of the work.

[ 26. October 2012, 13:35: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many seem to treat this subject so seriously for some reason.

One might observe that a presidency wouldn't have crowns and robes and THEATRE (well a different type and dull). LIke many areas of existence one might argue, the truth IS the externals.

It would be interesting, were Scottish independence to become a reality, if the Stuarts were to make a return. Dona Maria of Braganza was one such candidate. It could be really fascinating. Alex Salmond has declared his party's intention of keeping the English Sovereign, however.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do wish France would make an effort and let His Royal Highness Prince Louis Alphonse of Bourbon, Duke of Anjou (His Majesty to us legitimists) have a go.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016