homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Patriarch Kirill, Pussy Riot, and feminism as un-Orthodox (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Patriarch Kirill, Pussy Riot, and feminism as un-Orthodox
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
My point is that it's totally unreasonable for us or the western media to get all excited about the fact that the Russian judges and Patriarch don't seem to care about what we might think of them. Why should they? How it plays in Russia is significant. Our views are irrelevant.

And the relevance of that point? I don't see how it's got anything to do with my point.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've a problem answering your question because it seems to me self-evident. I responded to your statement,
quote:
I think the Russian judiciary and Patriarch Krill were perfectly capable of humiliating themselves in the eyes of the Western media without any help from the defence lawyers.
to say that from where they are standing, I don't think what the eyes of the western media think is relevant. Why should they care?

I'd have thought that was obvious. I'd go on to say, that given what seems to be obvious, what is anyone's argument for saying they are wrong? Again, why should they care? If you are Russian, this plays itself out differently. Why should it do otherwise?

Unless one can come up with a convincing argument that is valid if you are Putin, a Russian judge or the Patriarch, what really is the point of getting steamed up about this subject?

I've said my piece. Either this is obvious or it isn't. I can't think of much else to say.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But my point doesn't rest on them caring. Whether they care or not they did it all by themselves without any help.

Mark Betts said the defence lawyers were out to make the Russian judiciary and Patriarch look bad in the Western media. I say they did that all by themselves without the defence lawyers doing anything special.

It doesn't matter that they don't care or not, they didn't need the defence lawyers to do it. So what you say is true, but it doesn't change my point.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
True insight!

What do you mean leo?
I was agreeing with you (there's a first time for everything) that the Western media isn't unbiased.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then again, it isn't just the Western press who are critical. According to the Moscow Times:
quote:
"Blasphemy mania" has spread to Russia, says Victor Davidoff. Orthodox priests, still smarting from the Pussy Riot scandal, when girls in punk outfits shouted obscene slogans in a Moscow cathedral, demand tough new laws against "offending the religious beliefs of others". The politic seem happy to oblige: the "crime" will get you three years. Forging bonds with the conservative Church may help Putin suppress liberal dissent, but it gives a free pass to religious activists to ind their paranoia. Some are already threatening a blogger for writing "god" with a lower-case "g", in St Petersburg they're even trying to sue a dairy company for "promoting homosexuality" with Jolly Milkman label. "No, the Jolly Milkman wasn't kissing his boyfriend" — what "enrages" the the rainbow in the background, which they see as a symbol of the gay-rights movement. What ne "A bill banning minors from looking at the sky after a storm?" How depressing that Russia has abandoned its secular constitution and is starting to ape countries like Iran.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly. What Russians think about this matters. What we think doesn't.

Now I will shut up.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Exactly. What Russians think about this matters. What we think doesn't.

That seems to go beyond the narrow point and into a wider point - I was with you that what we thought of this is unlikely to matter to Kirill or to the Russian Judiciary but to argue that what we think simply doesn't matter is a step further.

I think it is legitimate to express opinions about what happens in other countries, particularly where issues such as freedom of speech or democracy or injustice are concerned.

quote:
Now I will shut up.

Well there is a certain irony in posting serially to say that what we think doesn't matter.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

According to this article, there are some orthodoxen who want to weaken church-state links and develop a theology of democracy.
There is a book abot this whose author notes the Church using
quote:
rhetoric affirming democracy, but engaging in practices that could be argued as non-democratic, such as supporting restrictions on religious freedom.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Now I will shut up.

Well there is a certain irony in posting serially to say that what we think doesn't matter.
Not to mention where it was posted.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Then again, it isn't just the Western press who are critical. According to the Moscow Times:

etc etc...

Yeah, yeah, well done for quoting a paper owned by a Finland corporation!

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

But the author of the book cited is Russian.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the author of the book cited is Russian.

..and I'm fairly sure you could find many more Russians who subscribe to this mentality, but that's not to say this is a majority view by any chalk - what's your point?

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

That a lot of people support the class for the Russian Orthodox Church to stop using the state to back it up and to stop acting lie an arm of the state.

This not merely 'my' point. it is the point of the whole thread as far as those supporting Pussy Riot are concerned.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I am still musing on how, apparently, out of touch the Russian Orthodox hierarchy is. Some are advising people not to use Apple computers because they see a connection with Adam and Eve eating an apple.

[ 21. October 2012, 16:25: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That strikes me as not so much "out of touch" as stupid.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The speaker, on a Radio 4 interview yesterday, used the term 'out of touch' to describe attitudes by young Russians towards the Church.

It was part of an article about a programme for drug addicts involving extreme sports such as Pakour, run by the church.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am still musing on how, apparently, out of touch the Russian Orthodox hierarchy is. Some are advising people not to use Apple computers because they see a connection with Adam and Eve eating an apple.

There's a better reason than that: digital computers are based on two, the devil's number.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

On a par with renaming French Fries because your reluctant ally doesn't have the same view about starting a war.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
quote:

On a par with renaming French Fries because your reluctant ally doesn't have the same view about starting a war.
Yes and no. Both are stupid, but in different ways.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Freedom Fries" nonsense was a symbolic gesture. Stupid, yes, but the Russian Orthodox reaction to the Apple logo is stupid with a serving superstition, topped with theocratic rubbish.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
The "Freedom Fries" nonsense was a symbolic gesture. Stupid, yes, but the Russian Orthodox reaction to the Apple logo is stupid with a serving superstition, topped with theocratic rubbish.

I'd add that Apple identifies with its logo- it is the symbol of the brand. France doesn't particularly identify with french fries- IIRC, the French term is "frites Belgique"...

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:

I'd add that Apple identifies with its logo- it is the symbol of the brand. France doesn't particularly identify with french fries- IIRC, the French term is "frites Belgique"...
I believe it's "pommes frites."

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
IIRC, the French term is "frites Belgique"...

I believe it's "pommes frites."
Could be a regional thing, as well- my teachers were Parisian, for the most part. Others may well have other terms.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
otyetsfoma
Shipmate
# 12898

- Posted      Profile for otyetsfoma   Email otyetsfoma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frites from a Belgian friture are vastly superior to any you could get anywhere in France IMHO,
Posts: 842 | From: Edgware UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

I thought in France they were just 'frites'!

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

Interesting article detailing why, in Russia, many felt that the "Punk Prayer" song was more to do with religious hatred, than a protest against president Putin:

What Pussy Riot's 'Punk Prayer' Really Said

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
In fact, the rest of the punk prayer's lyrics amount to an iconoclastic cri de coeur deriding popular Russian subservience to a clergy many regard as corrupt, denouncing (widespread, in Russia) conservative attitudes toward gays, assailing the increasingly tight relationship between church and the (constitutionally secular) state, as well ridiculing the age-old perception in Russia that rulers exercise power through a mandate from God (or, in the Soviet era, though a mandate from history, the Marxist version of which posited the death of capitalism and the triumph of communism). Putin, accordingly, was not Pussy Riot's only target. The band was challenging the entirety of the social and political order he has fostered since coming to power almost 13 years ago.
Sounds fair enough to me. People might label that religious hatred, but it really isn't. It strikes me as perfectly legitimate criticism.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If that explains why it's seen as religious hatred, then what it really suggsests is that a lot of Russians are going to have to either be dragged into the cold real world of the 21st century where disagreeing with and criticising you is not the same thing as hatred of you, or else put up with thinking everyone hates them.

It's really very little different to a lot of the "anti-Christian" stuff that some people in the West get agitated about; its resistance to losing one's privileged position as beyond criticism and beyond disagreement. Case in point here: We're being required to demonstrate our advertised claims are true like everyone else! 'Tis Outrage! Help Help I'm being Oppressed!

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Mark,

The article simply underscores the point most of the world has been making: The protest is about Putin and the church leaders being in bed with him. I don't see any religious hatred there.
But, let us suppose there was. So. Fucking. What?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Mark,

The article simply underscores the point most of the world has been making: The protest is about Putin and the church leaders being in bed with him. I don't see any religious hatred there.

So. Fucking. THIS:
Russia's State Duma plans new law to defend the rights of believers following Pussy Riot protest

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

So much for freedom of speech.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
So much for freedom of speech.

Do we, in the UK, have complete freedom of speech? Can we say anything we want (no matter how offensive) to or about anyone or anything we want, anywhere we want?

Of course not, and God forbid that we should!

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

And the conclusion you draw from that is that freedom of speech doesn't matter and therefore any amount of repression is justified?

I also don't see how the line of discussion is an answer to lil Buddha's point either.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
And the conclusion you draw from that is that freedom of speech doesn't matter and therefore any amount of repression is justified?

Er... no. That's not the conclusion I draw, it's the conclusion YOU draw.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Well if it's not the conclusion you draw than what is the conclusion you draw?

(It certainly isn't my conclusion by the way)

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Well if it's not the conclusion you draw than what is the conclusion you draw?

(It certainly isn't my conclusion by the way)

Very simple - it's not all or nothing, which seems to be the conclusion you draw (not me). I was just asking how we in the "enlightened" west can preach to others about "freedom of speech" when we do not, and cannot, have it ourselves. Simply put, if we did have absolute "freedom of speech" (which we don't) the results would be catastrophic.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
it's not all or nothing, which seems to be the conclusion you draw (not me).

Not sure where you think I draw that conclusion.

quote:
I was just asking how we in the "enlightened" west can preach to others about "freedom of speech" when we do not, and cannot, have it ourselves.

One might believe that ideally we would have more freedom of speech than we currently do. However what is happening in Russia seems very much more oppressive than our current situation, and describing it as repressive is a consistent position.

One might, on the other hand, believe that perfect freedom of speech isn't realistic but we have a reasonable(ish) balance in the UK. It would then still be perfectly reasonable to describe a repressive situation in Russia as repressive.

It seems to me that there are grounds for reasonable people to disagree over just how much freedom of speech is desirable, and over how good the situation in the UK is.

It seems unreasonable to argue that the situation in Russia regarding freedom of speech is appropriate, and certainly unreasonable to argue that the laws proposed in the article you link to are a good thing.

I wonder if you would have felt any inhibitions about "preaching" to Russia regarding freedom of speech during the communist era?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

There is a balance between absolute freedom and absolute repression. The goal, IMO should be as near freedom as is practical. Russia is marching in the other direction.
Ignoring for the moment the lack of need to, do you honestly think if Pussy Riot had performed their punk prayer in a Lutheran church (Buddhist temple, etc.), they would have received the same sentence? The same outrage? This is not about insulting religion.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Mark,

So. Fucking. THIS:
Russia's State Duma plans new law to defend the rights of believers following Pussy Riot protest

So the Russian church, having seen Pussy Riot protest the corruption of their church demonstrates this by trying to put themselves above criticism rathter than throw the money changers out of the cathedral?

So. Fucking. Underlining. The. Point.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
So the Russian church, having seen Pussy Riot protest the corruption of their church demonstrates this by trying to put themselves above criticism rathter than throw the money changers out of the cathedral?

So. Fucking. Underlining. The. Point.

Agreed. It grieves me to see the Russian church so easily going back to their Soviet position, compromising it's faith to curry favor with a government that has suppressed freedom and is in the process of crushing any protest. I've seen it before.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Is this the sort of thing American Evangelicals want when they say that the separation of church and state has gone too far?

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is this the sort of thing American Evangelicals want when they say that the separation of church and state has gone too far?

Not exactly. In the U.S. the evangelicals want to dictate to government, whereas in Russia it's the government dictating to the church that apparently the official Russian Orthodox church has no problem with. They have a history of this. ETA: Referring to the Moscow church, not the Russian Orthodox church elsewhere.

[ 12. November 2012, 07:42: Message edited by: Niteowl ]

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016