homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Pope Resigns (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Pope Resigns
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Curia and the College of ********s are inessential to ******** doctrine, wouldn't it be great if the Synod of ******s took responsibility here and nominated the new +++Rome?

This could be well be an attempt by the Curia and +++BXVI to ensure that the new man will maintain the power of the Curia.

In lazy apathy let Stoics boast
Their virtue fix'd, 'tis fix'd as in a frost;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:25: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you who read German, a good article analysing the situation is here .

The interesting bit of it is the mentioning of the fact that (my translation) "this is an extremely hard job, and indeed it should not be based on a contract of stick-to-it-ness until the setting in of senility and eventual death, being reduced to a main "puppet-****" in the end years, for the simple reason that there appears to be a habit of -mostly Italian and South American- 'Cliques' of taking over the reins of power behind the effigy of an ailing, powerless ****. ******** XVI had no intention of ending as such a puppet".

Well said. What B XVI has done was an act of realism and humility.

Contracted all, retiring to the breast;
But strength of mind is exercise, not rest:
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:26: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Avoiding the expression "snowball's chance in hell" in the answer, is there any canonical requirement for the occupant of the office to be chosen specifically from the Roman C******* church as opposed to one of the other C******* churches? I know that whoever it is will be the p*** of the Roman C******* church, but given the role of this position internationally, I wonder whether only members of that church would be considered.

The rising tempest puts in act the soul,
Parts it may ravage, but preserves the whole.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:27: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Officially, any male, faithful Roman ******** can be elected ****. If he is not a ****** at the time of election, he will become one.

But in these days of political correctness, we RCs will be given a hard time for excluding Muslim women, of course... [Roll Eyes]

On life's vast ocean diversely we sail,
Reason the card, but passion is the gale;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:28: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone's channeling the Daily Mail...

Nor God alone in the still calm we find,
He mounts the storm, and walks upon the wind.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:29: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

that being said, I wouldn't mind Rowan Williams or the Dalai Lama in the job...

Passions, like elements, though born to fight,
Yet, mix'd and soften'd, in his work unite:
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:29: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a video of the **** reading off his resignation (in Latin) at the consistory: via CNS.

These 'tis enough to temper and employ;
But what composes man, can man destroy?
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:30: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does seem awfully fast though. He'll be out in less than 20 days and will sit vacant until someone else is elected.

The ABC announced his retirement 9 months before it became effective, which seemed to give the church bureaucracy time to adapt and plan for a transition.

Suffice that reason keep to nature's road,
Subject, compound them, follow her and God.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:31: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
It does seem awfully fast though. He'll be out in less than 20 days and will sit vacant until someone else is elected.

The ABC announced his retirement 9 months before it became effective, which seemed to give the church bureaucracy time to adapt and plan for a transition.

9 months' politicking, jockeying for positions and shady manoeuvring in a place like the V^¨at¨^ic¨^an? That would give "hell" a whole new meaning. And it wouldn't be good for the c*h*u*r*c*h. And watching it would break Bénédiçt's heart.

No, we want a quick c0nclàve to prevent those Opus brigades and other mafias having time get into formation.

Love, h***, and joy, fair pleasure's smiling train,
Hate, fear, and grief, the family of pain,
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:32: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:

On the one hand he could have been given some pretty grave news, then again he might know that it's less immediate but irreversible.

In any event, he's never been indecisive, so I expect he's cleared it with a small 'inner circle' and resigned from as early a date as possible. As others have said, it's a very solid precedent for future incapacitated church leaders.

These mix'd with art, and to due bounds confin'd,
Make and maintain the balance of the mind:
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:33: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
Avoiding the expression "snowball's chance in hell" in the answer, is there any canonical requirement for the occupant of the office to be chosen specifically from the Roman C******* church as opposed to one of the other C******* churches?

If you mean whether someone from the non-Latin, Eastern ******** Churches in full communion with Rome could become ****, then the answer is of course "yes". The chances for that happening are small, but certainly non-zero. If you mean whether an "Anglo-********" or perhaps a Eastern Orthodox can become the ****** of Rome, then the answer is unsurprisingly "no".

quote:
I know that whoever it is will be the p*** of the Roman C******* church, but given the role of this position internationally, I wonder whether only members of that church would be considered.

Yes, and while we are at it, as Eur***an I would like to elect the next POTUS. And as Mac user the CEO of Microsoft. [Roll Eyes]

The lights and shades, whose well accorded strife
Gives all the strength and colour of our life.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:34: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Avoiding the expression "snowball's chance in hell" in the answer, is there any canonical requirement for the occupant of the office to be chosen specifically from the Roman C******* church as opposed to one of the other C******* churches? I know that whoever it is will be the p*** of the Roman C******* church, but given the role of this position internationally, I wonder whether only members of that church would be considered.

I can see nothing that forbids it.

Thurible

Pleasures are ever in our hands or eyes,
And when in act they cease, in prospect, rise:
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:35: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:

But in these days of political correctness, we RCs will be given a hard time for excluding Muslim women, of course... [Roll Eyes]

One really doesn't have to travel even that far. Any woman at all, whatsoever would do. She certainly doesn't have to be Muslim. Merely a 'she'! [Big Grin] (I mean in terms of exclusion, not in order to be ****!)

FWIW, it seems a sensible thing for **** ******** to do. And it must've been incredibly difficult for him - even assuming he felt it was right. Expectations, pressures, precedent etc must've weighed heavily. He would've been very alive to the effect on the ******** world, so there is - I think - a lot of courage in the decision, too.

I heard one commentator remark that it was a typically self-effacing and humble path to go down. Which for a **** must be difficult, in terms of profile and responsibility.

Present to grasp, and future still to find,
The whole employ of body and of mind.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:36: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
I can see nothing that forbids it.

The p*** must be ordained as a bishop. Only a C******* can receive the sacrament of ordination, hence only a C******* can become p***.
quote:
Can. 332 §1. The Roman Pontiff obtains full and supreme power in the Church by his acceptance of legitimate election together with episcopal consecration. Therefore, a person elected to the supreme pontificate who is marked with episcopal character obtains this power from the moment of acceptance. If the person elected lacks episcopal character, however, he is to be ordained a bishop immediately.

Can. 844 §1. C******* ministers administer the sacraments licitly to C******* members of the Christian faithful alone, who likewise receive them licitly from C******* ministers alone, without prejudice to the prescripts of §§2, 3, and 4 of this canon, and ⇒ can. 861, §2.

And if you read the rest of the second cited canon, you will see that charitable exceptions for non-C*******s are only possible for the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick.

All spread their charms, but charm not all alike;
On diff'rent senses diff'rent objects strike;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:37: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told about it this morning in c h u r c h preparing for a funeral and only believed it because of the impeccable source.

I take my hat off to him for having to courage to say he's past it. If only everyone who's past it would do the same!

I h*** I have the sense and the guts to do it when the time comes (if it hasn't already...)

Hence diff'rent passions more or less inflame,
As strong or weak, the organs of the frame;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:38: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

The real shame of it lies here:

quote:
"He suffered a lot under certain things that were part of his role. It is hard to imagine what intrigues he had to deal with in Rome. It burdened him because he is a theologian and noble person.
(Max Seckler, theologian)

A noble person, indeed. So fine a soul that he couldn't bear the vulgarity of the sh*tstörms his çhùrch and his person were exposed to. Nor the relentless pressure of mindless Zeitgeist. Nor the undignified goings-on within his own house.

No place for decent, sensitive souls.
What kind of a time are we living in???

I for one salute this noble man. He gives us a lot to think about.

And hence one master passion in the breast,
Like Aaron's serpent, swallows up the rest.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:39: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ingo, the Scrumpmeister might be Orthodox, and I might be A*******, but I think you should take it as read that we were both referring to those particular churches in full communion with the Bishop of Rome rather than our feeble imposter-type ecclesial groups*.

I'd've thought that was obvious.

Thurible

* actually that's unfair: his is a pr***r church, isn't it?

As man, perhaps, the moment of his breath,
Receives the lurking principle of death;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:40: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see Richard Dawkins is taking the opportunity to be a jerk.

So, cast and mingled with his very frame,
The mind's disease, its ruling passion came;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:43: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:

Confirms himself as a 24-carat twat.

Each vital humour which should feed the whole,
Soon flows to this, in body and in soul.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:43: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure you've sussed it out by now, Ingo, but ++KJS is none other than the Primate and Presiding ****** of the Episcopal Church (I committed a typo, which St Punk kindly corrected).

I understand that Ambrose was not even yet a Christian when elected ****** of Milan.

Whatever warms the heart, or fills the head,
As the mind ***ns, and its functions spread,
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:44: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Ingo, the Scrumpmeister might be Orthodox, and I might be A*******, but I think you should take it as read that we were both referring to those particular churches in full communion with the Bishop of Rome...

Indeed. I didn't offer further clarification as I didn't think it would be necessary, given the subject of the discussion.

Thank you for your replies. It would be interesting if a UGCC ******, for instance, were to be made p*** of Rome. I wonder how that would be received in both camps.

Imagination plies her dang'rous art,
And pours it all upon the peccant part.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:45: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reckon it's a flounce - face it, we've all done it.

Nature its mother, habit is its nurse;
Wit, spirit, faculties, but make it worse;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:46: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AberVicar:
quote:

And that verdict was in doubt before this?

--Tom Clune

Reason itself but gives it edge and pow'r;
As Heav'n's blest beam turns vinegar more sour.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:47: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:
This could be well be an attempt by the Curia and +++BXVI to ensure that the new man will maintain the power of the Curia.

Don't make me laugh. Firstly, the Curia aren't anywhere near organised enough to pull that off, second there aren't enough of them to have power (if they had it wouldn't have taken six years to deal with that poisonous heretic Flannery) and third this news was kept so close that neither the prefect of the CDF or the Congregation of ******s knew.

We, wretched subjects, though to lawful sway,
In this weak queen some fav'rite still obey:
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:48: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting take on events from that nice Andrew Brown in the Graun.

Ah! if she lend not arms, as well as rules,
What can she more than tell us we are fools?
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:49: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:

Link changed to one that will work as the guessing was beyond me.

Jengie

Teach us to mourn our nature, not to mend,
A sharp accuser, but a helpless friend!
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:50: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks.

Or from a judge turn pleader, to persuade
The choice we make, or justify it made;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:52: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I admit I was quite stunned when I heard the news this morning, though not surprised tbh. ******** has alluded to possible abdication several times in the past 8 years. His is/was a burden that would be too much for most men half his age. My grief is tempered by the fact that we could not have asked for a more faithful Servant of the Servants of God. May God grant him a restful and happy retirement before calling him to his final reward.

Proud of an easy conquest all along,
She but removes weak passions for the strong:
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:53: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe one of the c******* rules for selecting a P*** is that the prior p*** should pack the College of C*******s with as many fellow-travelers as he can to ensure that his successor will follow in his prada-steps.
As was observed earlier, with JP2's lingering decline, there was a risk of this going awry. By stepping down with wits and health intact, he can guide the C*******s to the successor he prefers.

- The winner always knows how the deck is stacked--because he stacked it -

So, when small humours gather to a gout,
The doctor fancies he has driv'n them out.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:55: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AberVicar:
quote:

It is desperation - people are bored with the silly, miserable old twit now, so he uses twitter to try to grab some attention.

Yes, nature's road must ever be preferr'd;
Reason is here no guide, but still a guard:
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:56: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
quote:

Don't make me laugh. Firstly, the Curia aren't anywhere near organised enough to pull that off, second there aren't enough of them to have power (if they had it wouldn't have taken six years to deal with that poisonous heretic Flannery) and third this news was kept so close that neither the prefect of the CDF or the Congregation of ******s knew.
[Overused]

'Tis hers to rectify, not overthrow,
And treat this passion more as friend than foe:
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:57: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a suprise and I am unsure if it had ever happened before. To my mind the papal egien is like that of the Queen of England, you don't abdicate.
Having said I think it is right to decide to retire .After all he has had decades in church service as ******, c******* and p***. I h*** he has a nice watm place to retire to.
For the college of c*******s . Let's get it right and that before Easter. [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

A mightier pow'r the strong direction sends,
And sev'ral men impels to sev'ral ends.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:59: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
shoewoman
Shipmate
# 1618

- Posted      Profile for shoewoman   Email shoewoman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
I would have thought he'd seek retirement in a monastery in South Germany.

Considering his (very probably reawakening) popularity especially in the south of Germany, I really wouldn't recommend that if he wants some peace and quiet. After all, you cannot turn a normal monastery into a fortress.

Like varying winds, by other passions toss'd,
This drives them constant to a certain coast.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 22:59: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Maybe I should get an avatar.... or maybe not....

Posts: 652 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'd consider the late "Fr." Brendan Smyth poisonous, both in what he did to children and young people, and in the binding to secrecy by the institutional church of the same children that resulted. Challenges to the concept of apostolic succession are not exactly at the same level of evil. Anyway apart from that I do wish +++BXVI well in his retirement and h*** that the very human institution of the C******* Church will have the grace of Holy Wisdom to choose a successor.

“Even if a snake is not poisonous, it should pretend to be venomous.”

[ 11. February 2013, 19:52: Message buggered about with by: Gwai ]

CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd consider the late "Fr." Brendan Smyth poisonous, both in what he did to children and young people, and in the binding to secrecy by the institutional church of the same children that resulted. Challenges to the concept of apostolic succession are not exactly at the same level of evil. Anyway apart from that I do wish +++BXVI well in his retirement and h*** that the very human institution of the C******* Church will have the grace of Holy Wisdom to choose a successor.

What's the C******* equivalent of Godwin's Law? [Roll Eyes]

Let pow'r or knowledge, gold or glory, please,
Or (oft more strong than all) the love of ease;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 23:01: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What's the C******* equivalent of Godwin's Law? [Roll Eyes]
I'm still a C******* CL. So are many others. Don't take that for granted.

Through life 'tis followed, ev'n at life's expense;
The merchant's toil, the sage's indolence,
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 23:02: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by passer:

Well, he did manage a total of 1.5 relevant sentences: "His church has been battered in the west by child abuse scandals and a shortage of ******s, but it is still growing fast in the south. It is difficult to overestimate the speed and size of the shift in global balance." The rest is either not new, or the usual Euro-centric, liberal Zeitgeist trash.

The coming papal election may indeed be historic if it lifts a (black) African or an Asian on the papal throne, which is a distinct possibility. But even if we "only" get one of the South Americans, this would have major signal value for what is to come.

The monk's humility, the hero's pride,
All, all alike, find reason on their side.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 23:03: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Five dollars says the next bloke in the ruby slippers is Italian.

Th' eternal art educing good from ill,
Grafts on this passion our best principle:
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 23:03: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

As remarked elsewhere think that is a safe bet. Pity the Arch****** of Milan that really mattered didn't get the opportunity..

'Tis thus the mercury of man is fix'd,
Strong grows the virtue with his nature mix'd;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 23:04: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. Old white guy gets fancy chair, crappy job. Rest of world keeps turning.

I really h*** I don't have to work til I'm 85, though. That would suck.

The dross cements what else were too refin'd,
And in one interest body acts with mind.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 23:05: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

As remarked elsewhere think that is a safe bet. Pity the Arch****** of Milan that really mattered didn't get the opportunity..
Pity there wasn't a reform of the election system beforehand! At the very least, it would be nice to see priests (actual ones, not cardinal-priests), deacons, acolytes, lectors, catechists, and the religious have a say. Putting it all into the hands of the former officeholder (courtesy of his appointments) seems a bit questionable.

[Votive] For him and for the Catholic faithful.

As fruits, ungrateful to the planter's care,
On savage stocks inserted, learn to bear;
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 23:06: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
shameless
Apprentice
# 9918

- Posted      Profile for shameless   Author's homepage   Email shameless   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unbelievable. But we do h*** his predecessor is from Asia or africa.

The surest virtues thus from passions shoot,
Wild nature's vigor working at the root.
- Alexander P***

[ 11. February 2013, 23:07: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
shameless

Posts: 26 | From: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

I don't get where this enthusiasm for an African/Asian p*** comes from. Anyone from those places is likely to be significantly more socially conservative and significantly worse liturgically.

That said the single worst high-profile candidate I can think of is Oscar Rodriguez; a self-promoting relic of Liberation theology. Schoenborn, Tagle, the other Latin Americans and all the Italians bar Scola and Bagnasco are tied for second worst.

Regardless of who gets it, one of the positives of having the quondam of Rome still around is that his successor will find himself pretty much bound to follow the same general course of this pontificate.

What crops of wit and honesty appear
From spleen, from obstinacy, hate, or fear! - Alexander P***

[ 12. February 2013, 00:30: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CL, have you read this ?

Doublethink
Purgatory H o s t

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gawd CL you sound so A n g l i c a n with your posturing and division of people into goodies (those who agree with meeeeeeee) and baddies (all the others).

See anger, zeal and fortitude supply;
Ev'n av'rice, prudence; sloth, philosophy; - Alexander P***

[ 12. February 2013, 07:18: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
I've just read that he will not be participating in the conclave, BTW.

He's too old (by five years) to vote for the next p***.

For someone who is too old even to choose a p*** to have to keep being p*** lest someone call him a deserter seems downright sadistic to me.

I'm only 64 and almost counting the days until retirement.

Lust, through some certain strainers well refin'd,
Is gentle love, and charms all womankind; - Alexander P***

[ 12. February 2013, 07:22: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:

I'm hoping for a really extraordinary outcome in which the Holy Spirit proves His mettle and ++KJC is elevated to the throne of Peter. From God's mouth to the collective ears of those tiresome old men in their scarlet dresses and lace who will be convening in the Sistine Chapel.

That sees immediate good by present sense;
Reason, the future and the consequence.
- Alexander P***

I don't think an agnostic humanist would be helpful [Razz]

Envy, to which th' ignoble mind's a slave,
Is emulation in the learn'd or brave; - Alexander P***

[ 12. February 2013, 07:23: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still in shock at the news. I agree with Desert Daughter on the 'realism and humility' behind this abdication or resignation -- thanks for the German link.

Came to the SOF hoping for something enlightening, sane and insightful on the topic, found that the site has gone crazy. ****

Nor virtue, male or female, can we name,
But what will grow on pride, or grow on shame. - Alexander P***

[ 12. February 2013, 07:24: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Solly
Shipmate
# 11919

- Posted      Profile for Solly     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps he has been diagnosed with dementia in which case it makes sense to retire early. I **** that this lovely and holy man enjoys a peaceful retirement.

Thus nature gives us (let it check our pride)
The virtue nearest to our vice allied: - Alexander P***

[ 12. February 2013, 07:25: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 70 | From: Sussex UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
He's too old (by five years) to vote for the next p***.

Sure, and I had said that earlier. I took this news to mean though that he's not going to be hang around either, and thus that he will stay out of the election business altogether. But probably you are right, and this announcement only means that he's not going to vote... I actually don't know what the non-voting but present C*******s typically do.

Reason the byass turns to good from ill,
And Nero reigns a Titus, if he will. - Alexanda P***

[ 12. February 2013, 07:26: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016