homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Pope Resigns (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Pope Resigns
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How is discussing the very real sins of the Catholic Church anti-Catholicism?
Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tangent Alert]

Has a Jesuit ever been elected Pope?

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. Thirty-four popes have come from religious orders, but no Jesuits.

The last pope to be a religious was Gregory XVI (1831-46), who was a Camoldolese monk.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by teddybear:

It's not.

But it can become it. As Ingo's article suggests

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Cardinal O'Brien seems to have sensed a weakness in the force allowing him an opportunity to talk about women clergy again!

In the news item I saw, he wasn't talking about ordaining women. He was talking about re-opening the prohibition on male priests having wives.

Unless one were to argue that the clergy in all the other ecclesial communities in the world, who marry women, sleep with them and have children with them, become women priests by association, these aren't even related topics.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Father Federico Lombardi:

"Whoever has money, sex and power at the forefront of the mind sees the world through these parameters and cannot see beyond these even when looking at the Church," he said.

"Their view cannot look to the heights or go in-depth to understand the spiritual dimensions and motivations of existence," he added.

Whatever that means.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weird reporting by the BBC that.....

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Father Lombardi also observes that
quote:
the Vatican spokesman said those putting themselves in positions of judgement had no authority to do so.
The RC Church has always been strong on acknowledging the authority of others to make judgements, of course.

The Vatican does seem extremely uneasy at the attention they're getting at the moment, and it's very naughty of the internet not to do what it's told. "Mummy knows best" no longer seems to have the weight it once had.

Reminds me of the first time my kids said "no" in a measured rather than petulant way. Mrs passer and I were suddenly aware that this display of free will and self-determination meant that they would be leaving at some point.

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

"Whoever has money, sex and power at the forefront of the mind sees the world through these parameters and cannot see beyond these even when looking at the Church," he said.

"Their view cannot look to the heights or go in-depth to understand the spiritual dimensions and motivations of existence," he added.

Whatever that means.

John Waters in the Irish Times yesterday had one of his usual strops that liberals who were at best indifferent to Papa Ratzinger's retirement were motivated only by money.

Quite.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Ingo:
quote:

(On the off-topic question of the Magdalene laundries, the commentary by Brendan O'Neil was interesting.)

Interesting maybe, but his assertions about the McAleese report is incorrect. Here is the full report. Only 118 women who were actually in the institutions came forward to contribute to the report. Of all of them, there was one reported incident of sexual abuse and a minority reported severe physical abuse (not corporal punishment) or witnessing such.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pasco
Shipmate
# 388

- Posted      Profile for Pasco   Email Pasco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
[Tangent Alert]

Has a Jesuit ever been elected Pope?

Jesuits take a vow to support the (white) Pope. I had recently read on a Catholic bulletin board of someone replying to the same question by answering, "Why would a Jesuit aspire to be (white) Pope when he could become 'black Pope' " (i.e. Jesuit General, who many including Catholics believe to be the Eminence Grise, power behind the 'the throne of Peter'. Their being thrown out of dozens of countries in the past is well documented - noticably absent is the discussion of this order on these boards).

[ PS: My many years of interactions with the Jesuits was by and large a fairly reasonable happy experience - with the 'lower' strata of the order, who do not get moved around much. Unfortunately, like with the Freemasons (at the lower end of the spectrum), most of whom enter to (genuinely) serve their community for the greater glory of God and so on, are conditioned into the system where anomalies are seldom questioned - or are allowed to be questioned. For instance, Freemasonry and St Peter’s Rome share the very exact symbolisms. As one ascends the ladder of these respective societies, the nature of worship and know-how begins to slightly change, significantly so nearer towards the summit where symbolism begins to unravel the Architect's (and Structural Engineers?) "knowledge".

Posts: 997 | From: Domiciling 'ere, living locally. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

Whatever that means.

Sounds like a really heavily spiritualized, sneaky version of "the ends justify the means."

ETA: An old cliche about sausage making also comes to mind.

[ 24. February 2013, 15:07: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Computer security guru Bruce Schneier discusses how hard it would be to "hack" the conclave's election process. Answer: very. (He of course merely means hacking the election process itself. Attempts at "political" hacking of the election are, I'm sure, in full swing already...)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re hacking the conclave:

I've heard that no cell phones, etc. are to be allowed. But I bet *someone* will have one. If not the cardinals, then the various staff supporting them.

Think of that secret video of Romney saying that the lower classes aren't important, and all the fuss that caused...

[Paranoid]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re hacking the conclave:

I've heard that no cell phones, etc. are to be allowed. But I bet *someone* will have one. If not the cardinals, then the various staff supporting them.

Think of that secret video of Romney saying that the lower classes aren't important, and all the fuss that caused...

Interesting times!

I think maybe secrecy is becoming a thing of the past, especially for the rich and famous.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A possibly useful resource: Rocco Palmo's Whispers In The Loggia blog. He's been covering the RCC for some time.

On The Media had an interesting interview with him today. (Look for the "Inside The Vatican" section, where you can listen to it.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re hacking the conclave:

I can confirm that these work most efficiently.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has been a Motu Proprio Normas Nonnullas issued by still Pope Benedict XVI. As analysed for example by Canon Lawyer Ed Peters, it basically means that the conclave can start earlier. I hear 10th or 11th of March being floated as the most likely date.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

With a hat tip to Fr. Z (no, really!), here's "Choose Your Pope!" by TheLutheranSatire. Ecumenic lulz, NSFL.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016