homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Gun control in the US (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Gun control in the US
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
For the record, many of us gun owners think Alex Jones is an ass. Someone on one of the gun forums I'm on said "How did we end up with Alex Jones as our spokesperson?"

He isn't our spokesperson unless you talk to people like Alex Jones and Piers Morgan and what is their word worth to you?

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
That said, Piers Morgan is equally an ass and has been tossing out misleading and sometimes flat out wrong statistics.

He's definitely an ass. But I don't think you can call those statistics misleading. They may be slightly different from the statistics Fox found, (since different sources always differ on precise numbers) but they present pretty much the same point. 11000 deaths compared to 35 deaths is qualitiatively the same as 7,923 deaths compared with 56. It still shows that gun deaths in America are ridiculously high compared to other civilised countries, in fact even when compared to the 'most violent' country in Europe, they are ridiculously high.

Ben Swann, like many gun advocates, much prefers bait-and-switch to real debate. When Peirs talks about gun deaths he changes the argument to violent crime, or overal crime, anything to avoid referring to the issue at hand - gun homicides. And though Piers compares the US to the UK, Ben switches it to comparing the UK to the EU. Oh dear.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the more serious problems with the argument against restrictions on gun ownership is the idea that there are "good guys" and "bad guys" -- the whole "only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun," "if you ban guns only criminals will have guns" thing. Ordinary Americans who buy guns for self-protection aren't bad guys or good guys -- they're just people with guns. People who have bought guns used later by their adolescent children to kill themselves aren't bad guys or good guys. People who have packed guns into situations in which they felt unsafe and then used them in a manner later determined to be criminal didn't think they were bad guys when they bought the guns or when they left their homes armed. We've got to grow up and leave behind this silly Hollywood Wild West notion of good guys and bad guys and look at reality.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember who exactly made this observation, but let's remember that Obama is a constitutional scholar. He knows what the 2nd Amendment says. He also knows what it doesn't say. USA citizens have the right to keep and bear arms, but there's no 2nd Amendment rights for gun manufacturers or dealers or shows; there's no absolute right to buy and sell arms anywhere and everywhere to anyone.

And just to show how much the NRA fetishizes guns, here's this: NRA vows to stop Tucson from destroying guns.

quote:
... Rathner says Arizona state law forces local governments to sell seized or abandoned property to the highest bidder.

"If property has been abandoned to the police, then they are required by ARS 12-945 to sell it to a federally licensed firearms dealer, and that's exactly what they should do," he says.

That way, Rathner says, the guns can be put back in circulation or given away. ...

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
And just to show how much the NRA fetishizes guns, here's this: NRA vows to stop Tucson from destroying guns.

quote:
... Rathner says Arizona state law forces local governments to sell seized or abandoned property to the highest bidder.

"If property has been abandoned to the police, then they are required by ARS 12-945 to sell it to a federally licensed firearms dealer, and that's exactly what they should do," he says.

That way, Rathner says, the guns can be put back in circulation or given away. ...

And the NRA would be 100% right on that. AZ state law does indeed prohibit it and the local LEO has no authority to do as he/she pleases.

In this era of budget crunches, it amazes me that law enforcement offices keep doing this. They'll turn a $2,000 gun into $20 worth of scrap, then cry when they don't get a raise, or can't afford new equipment.

It happens here in my own state of TN. We have a state law prohibiting it, but the Nashville PD does it anyway without consequences. I wish the NRA would come here and try to stop it. There are some nice guns going up that conveyor belt getting turned into steel confetti. [Waterworks] Others are probably worth more as confetti.

What's worse is that many of the scrapped guns are never checked to see if they were reported stolen to be returned to their rightful owners. It's like having your car recovered after a theft (possibly in just as good condition as when stolen) and the cops just taking it to the junk yard and pocketing the cash without ever telling you about it.

[ 10. January 2013, 19:40: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another school shooting today in California. Jeez.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going to the incontrovertible wikipedia, the figures I get are: overall murder rate 4.8 per 100k per year for USA vs 1.2 for the UK and 1.0 per 100k for Western Europe.

For gun murders I get 3.7 per 100k for the USA and 0.04 per 100k for UK.

For suicide rates I get 12 per 100k for USA and 6.9 per 100k for UK. Of which gun-related are 6.1 per 100k for the US and 0.17 for UK.

So it isn't true that in the UK or in the rest of Europe the lack of gun-related murders are compensated for by non-gun-related murders. And ditto for suicides.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
monkeylizard, the point of gun buybacks is to get rid of guns, not recycle them!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
monkeylizard,

Our daughters live in TN but still have NC drivers licenses. Do you know if any of them that decide to carry need to be an official TN resident to get TN ccw permits or do they need to come home for training and use their NC issued ccw permits there?

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If tests were ever introduced, to judge if someone is reasonably safe to own a gun, I would have thought that Alex Jones would fail to qualify. He doesn't look like the most level headed of chaps in that clip.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
monkeylizard,

Our daughters live in TN but still have NC drivers licenses.

I don't know about TN but in some states that's against the law.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
monkeylizard,

Our daughters live in TN but still have NC drivers licenses.

I don't know about TN but in some states that's against the law.
It would be difficult to claim they are still college students since only one really is. It's about cell phones and auto insurance when you boil it down.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Oooh. I see. It is officially the take a poke at Americans thread so it is OK.

I think you ought to start a thread about American fundamentalists so you can have a go at them too.

Maybe you could have a go at the American lack of subtlety. I always appreciated being told I was not subtle because I was an American.

Why not go for a trifecta?

Since the topic under discussion is an attempt to understand why one particular "western developed" nation has such a hugely exponentially higher rate of gun deaths than any other such nation, obviously that nation will be singled out. Is it other countries' faults that the USA has such a barbaric distinction? And the issue is of legitimate concern to other countries since the USA is still (for now) the most powerful country in the world and perhaps some might be concerned about how the USA may interact with them given the way it deals (or fails to deal) with its own internal pathologies.

[ 11. January 2013, 01:27: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
If tests were ever introduced, to judge if someone is reasonably safe to own a gun, I would have thought that Alex Jones would fail to qualify. He doesn't look like the most level headed of chaps in that clip.

I bet $5 they rehearsed it a few times.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
One of the more serious problems with the argument against restrictions on gun ownership is the idea that there are "good guys" and "bad guys" -- the whole "only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun," "if you ban guns only criminals will have guns" thing. Ordinary Americans who buy guns for self-protection aren't bad guys or good guys -- they're just people with guns. People who have bought guns used later by their adolescent children to kill themselves aren't bad guys or good guys. People who have packed guns into situations in which they felt unsafe and then used them in a manner later determined to be criminal didn't think they were bad guys when they bought the guns or when they left their homes armed. We've got to grow up and leave behind this silly Hollywood Wild West notion of good guys and bad guys and look at reality.

[Overused]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The purpose of a gun is to kill. If you don't have a gun then one way of killing is removed. Having a gun for self defence means that someone else then needs a gun and the problem snowballs.
Why then do people insist they need guns and tend to espouse this desire with religious fervour.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
monkeylizard, the point of gun buybacks is to get rid of guns, not recycle them!

In Seattle, they get recycled... into rebar
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
Another school shooting today in California. Jeez.

A student armed with a shotgun shot one student and fired at others and missed before a teacher talked him into surrendering.

The victim is in a stable condition.

That's a perfect example of the difference between an attempted massacre with a shotgun and one with a semi-automatic weapon. Not one death vs 28.

Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
]A student armed with a shotgun shot one student and fired at others and missed before a teacher talked him into surrendering.

The victim is in a stable condition.

That's a perfect example of the difference between an attempted massacre with a shotgun and one with a semi-automatic weapon. Not one death vs 28.

This also disproves the "only a Good Guy with a gun can stop a Bad Guy with a gun" trope.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

To tell them apart, maybe they should wear different colour hats...
Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Clint Boggis:
To tell them apart, maybe they should wear different colour hats...

Or we could look at what property they are standing on, ask witnesses, etc., those sorts of things people trying to look at things realistically try to do.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
Is it other countries' faults that the USA has such a barbaric distinction?

Hmmmm... have the other countries ever been militarily rescued by the barbarians?
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
quote:

Hmmmm... have the other countries ever been militarily rescued by the barbarians?
By professional solidiers which has both didly and squat to do with guns in private hands.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
quote:

By professional solidiers which has both didly and squat to do with guns in private hands.
More like "by draftees who learned most of their shooting skills in civilian life prior to military service, not in the short training time allotted by Uncle Sam".

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
More like "by draftees who learned most of their shooting skills in civilian life prior to military service, not in the short training time allotted by Uncle Sam".

Fishpiss. I'd be very surprised if you could substantiate that opinion.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
McDonald's Mistaken Order Leads To Shotgun Blast, Police Standoff

A minor incident. Fortunately, there were no injuries and only minor property damage and lost sales. The weapon was a shotgun, which I think most people in the USA agree is ok for a citizen to have. (I do too, for that matter.) It doesn't appear than anyone involved in the incident was mentally ill, or a convicted criminal. The gun was not being used in another criminal purpose, such as dealing drugs. A crowbar was also used in the incident, so it wasn't just gun violence. It wasn't a "crime of passion" or an argument over huge amounts of money or property a lost job. There were no "good guys" or "bad guys", just ordinary folks doing ordinary things.

This incident doesn't fit into any of the typical narratives of USA gun violence. It's just some people who had a dispute about something really minor, and one of them had a gun. Lots of ordinary people worked and ate at that McDonald's that day, and it is only because of sheer luck that they and the police officers involved went home that night. It also utterly debunks the notion that an armed society is a polite society.

Is this really what the 2nd Amendment was written for? It wasn't self-defense, it wasn't an intrusion on someone's property, it wasn't sport shooting, it wasn't reserve or militia activity, it certainly wasn't hunting for food.

It was just people who lost their temper over something really insignificant and used whatever was handy to turn it into a violent confrontation. Why? Why is it that so many USA gun owners can't seem to stop and ask themselves, BEFORE reaching for their weapon, why they would want to kill someone over the order of service in the drive-thru? And no, it isn't because humans are humans, because this shit just doesn't happen, or doesn't happen as often, in other developed countries.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

Fishpiss yourself.

1) The U.S. Army in both World Wars consisted primarily of conscripts, not "professional soldiers"- U.S. isolationist policy at the time meant the standing army was quite small.

2) Basic training during WWII was roughly 12 weeks (the exact duration changed over the course of the war according to demand for replacement troops). In those 12 weeks, shooting was only one of many topics that needed covering; fairly reasonable to assume they weren't producing expert shooters in that compressed timeframe, no?

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
fairly reasonable to assume they weren't producing expert shooters in that compressed timeframe, no?

No. It should hardly need to be mentioned that picking off pigeons with a slingshot is not the same thing as picking off enemy with a machine gun.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fishpiss yourself.

1) The U.S. Army in both World Wars consisted primarily of conscripts, not "professional soldiers"- U.S. isolationist policy at the time meant the standing army was quite small.

2) Basic training during WWII was roughly 12 weeks (the exact duration changed over the course of the war according to demand for replacement troops). In those 12 weeks, shooting was only one of many topics that needed covering; fairly reasonable to assume they weren't producing expert shooters in that compressed timeframe, no?

You're right that 12 weeks basic training didn't produce expert shooters. But then, most infantrymen weren't expert shooters; in combat half of them didn't fire their weapons at all, and hardly any of those that did hit what they were aiming at.

The British army had a similar length of training (possibly a bit less if I remember correctly) and they were, on the whole, just as good or bad as the US troops.

Therefore any civilian skills in shooting that they brought with them made little difference - if only because a battle is rather different to shooting at bottles, deer etc

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, the initial casualty for American soldiers in WWI was very high. Which rather negates your viewpoint, jbohn.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
IIRC, the initial casualty for American soldiers in WWI was very high. Which rather negates your viewpoint, jbohn.

As well as yours- the "professional" soldiers didn't too terribly well, if what you say is true.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always understood British riflemen were renowned for accurate and well drilled firing . So effective in fact that during one encounter in WW1 the German army mistook rapid rifle fire for machine-gun fire.

It's really quite fascinating hearing the reasons gun-owners will come up with to justify having fire-arms in their houses.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That is largely because their enemy was entrenched and hidden and they were largely walking without cover across open land towards him. Going over the top was bad for everybody, expert marksman or not, when there were well-defended machine gun emplacements facing them.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

As well as yours- the "professional" soldiers didn't too terribly well, if what you say is true.
Because the U.S. had a small standing army, there was a heavy draft. The casualties from the poor initial training led to improved training and improved results. The point is, if these sharpshooting farm-boys of yours had been any good, revamping the training would not have been needed. There is a myth of the farmer militiaman from the American Revolution which has persisted through the years. Once again, the regular army won the day for the Americans,* not the citizen militia. BTW, the Second Amendment says Well regulated militia. Not yahoos with guns.

* and a massive amount of support from the French, long supply lines for the British, etc.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

It's really quite fascinating hearing the reasons gun-owners will come up with to justify having fire-arms in their houses.

I'm fascinated that you think it's any of your business.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

That is largely because their enemy was entrenched and hidden and they were largely walking without cover across open land towards him. Going over the top was bad for everybody, expert marksman or not, when there were well-defended machine gun emplacements facing them.
ISTM, the lack of training, and lack of cooperation between Americans and the French and British troops, led to more casualties than necessary. Not simply the realities of trench warfare. It was lessons learned and better subsequent training which made the American troops a later asset.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

Yeah, the nerve of him discussing something on a discussion forum.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

No shit. How dare he talk about things people say about themselves in the media.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
quote:

A discussion is one thing but thinking someone owes him a justification for something is just silly.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I rather it wasn't . I rather US gun massacres were kept off UK news reports.
However history has deemed our two countries to be close despite the expanse of water that lies between us.

Do the majority of Americans really believe there is no problem at all with widespread ownership of semi-automatic weapons , lax gun laws, or the frequency of random shootings ?
If so then you can rest assured that I don't give a flying fig what goes on over there either.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

The majority of us feel that there is indeed a problem but we feel powerless against the forces that seem to be amassed against reason and decency. I fear that only God will be able to sort this all out. The prayers of all of you, including our cousins elsewhere in the world, are greatly appreciated.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

A discussion is one thing but thinking someone owes him a justification for something is just silly.
Oh, I don't know. Who makes up the U.S. military? Volunteers drawn from the U.S. populace. I'll go out on a limb here and guess that rabidly anti-gun U.S. citizens do not make up the bulk of these volunteers, who are deployed in 150 countries around the world, carrying their views, attitudes, and mindsets with them.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Oh, I don't know. Who makes up the U.S. military? Volunteers drawn from the U.S. populace. I'll go out on a limb here and guess that rabidly anti-gun U.S. citizens do not make up the bulk of these volunteers, who are deployed in 150 countries around the world, carrying their views, attitudes, and mindsets with them.

I don't know that you can make that assumption. I don't know how the US military falls on the question, but I do know that US law enforcement organizations pretty much universally endorse gun control. I don't think it's too much of a leap to assume that our military might similarly feel that some restrictions might be appropriate.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

I don't know that you can make that assumption. I don't know how the US military falls on the question, but I do know that US law enforcement organizations pretty much universally endorse gun control. I don't think it's too much of a leap to assume that our military might similarly feel that some restrictions might be appropriate.
No doubt. And feeling "that some restrictions might be appropriate" equates to "rabidly anti-gun" how, exactly?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:

I might point out here that while several law enforcement organizations indeed favor gun control of one form or another, quite a lot of individual law enforcement professionals are on the other side of the debate.

It's not all that odd, really- Lord knows my union takes some political positions that make me cringe on occasion. Usually because I have a hard time figuring out what an education union has to do with issues completely unrelated to education...

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
No doubt. And feeling "that some restrictions might be appropriate" equates to "rabidly anti-gun" how, exactly?

OK, fair 'nuff. otoh, I am unconvinced that there is ANY real "rabidly anti-gun" contingent in the US-- in the military or otherwise. The current debate centers almost exclusively on (at least to me) reasonable restrictions.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The majority of us feel that there is indeed a problem but we feel powerless against the forces that seem to be amassed against reason and decency. I fear that only God will be able to sort this all out. The prayers of all of you, including our cousins elsewhere in the world, are greatly appreciated.

I'm one of many who are praying for the USA over this issue. (And if I'm bigoted, or narrow minded, in this I'm asking God to ignore those prayers and give me a better understanding instead.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
quote:

I'm one of many who are praying for the USA over this issue. (And if I'm bigoted, or narrow minded, in this I'm asking God to ignore those prayers and give me a better understanding instead.)
As an American, I echo Amanda's words, and thank you, Robert, for your kind & humble words and prayers. They are much appreciated.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I am unconvinced that there is ANY real "rabidly anti-gun" contingent in the US-- in the military or otherwise.

The rabidly anti-gun contingent is a fantasy of the rabidly pro-gun contingent, which DOES exist. They fondly imagine that because they are batshit crazy in one direction, there must be people who are equally batshit crazy but in the other direction. It's the old false equivalence bullshit that Fox News calls "fair and balanced."

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I am unconvinced that there is ANY real "rabidly anti-gun" contingent in the US-- in the military or otherwise.

The rabidly anti-gun contingent is a fantasy of the rabidly pro-gun contingent, which DOES exist. They fondly imagine that because they are batshit crazy in one direction, there must be people who are equally batshit crazy but in the other direction. It's the old false equivalence bullshit that Fox News calls "fair and balanced."
I'm sure there are a few around who get very, very angry and swear a lot in the cause of gun control. Whether they would insist on the police being authorised to shoot to kill any civilian carrying a gun is to go further. Let's face it though, the squeaky wheels get the attention and hence make good copy wherever they happen to be and editors want that. Heck, just look at the Christians the media digs out for public display; Phelps, Stephen Green, Ian Paisley, Terry Jones (the Koran-burner, not the Python)......

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016