homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Papabile betting pool (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Papabile betting pool
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to run a parimutuel betting pool for papabiles here. Everybody who wishes to participate gets 25 SoDs (Ship of Fools dollars) in hand, virtually. Rules:
  1. To enter the betting, a player must suggest one (and only one) new papabile name. This must be a realistic possibility (a real living human person, male, and a baptized Roman Catholic in good standing). This papabile then becomes available for all players to bet on.
  2. The player must also place 5 SoDs on the papabile they have suggested to enter the betting. These 5 SoDs are fixed for that player, and cannot be removed till the end of the game. Thus every papabile has at least 5 SoDs to their name.
  3. The player can distribute their remaining money (20 SoDs, or less, initially) on every papabile in any manner they want. These bets can be changed by posting here at any time till betting ends. The last posted bet counts, if the total adds up, otherwise it is invalid. There is no "fraction" of SoDs (e.g., 1.50 SoD), only whole number SoDs (1,2,3,... SoDs) can be placed.
  4. Betting ends whenever I post that it has, or at the time that I will announce later. Any bets placed after that do not count. (I expect that I will call a stop at the beginning of the conclave, though if I am following proceedings "live" I might call an end only at the appearance of white smoke.)
In addition, players can get extra SoDs by donating to the Floating Fund. They have to post on this thread the order reference of their donation (it comes up after the donation, copy and paste it). They also have to mention how many SoDs they will get, where: 1 £ = 1 SoD, 1.5 $ (US, Canada, Oz) = 1 SoD, 1.8 $ (NZ) = 1 SoD. Round the SoD amount to the nearest whole number. These donation SoDs can be freely bet on any papabile (like the initial 20 SoD).

I will try to give regular updates on the odds of all papabiles in the race. (There will be no commission, all SoDs in the pool will get "paid out".)

(Disclaimer: This is not a real betting pool. No real money will be paid out under any circumstances, either by Ship of Fools or by me (IngoB). Any donation made to the Floating Fund is strictly a donation, it leads to no rights for any actual returns. SoDs are no real currency, and this entire betting pool is purely virtual and for entertainment only. The "pay out" is simply a number of SoDs that indicates how well one has guessed, no more.)

If you need some inspiration on who may be a good papabile to suggest, take a look here, here, here or here.

---

I will make a start then. I will name

Cardinal Leonardo Sandri

as papabile to enter the betting. So he has my 5 SoD fixed, and since there is not other option till somebody else adds a papabile, I will add my 20 SoD as well.

Furthermore, I have just made a donation equivalent to 20 SoD to the Floating Fund (order reference: 2577142016). I will place those on Cardinal Sandri as well for now.

Hence currently betting stands at

Cardinal Leonardo Sandri - 45 SoD, odds 1-1

[ 13. May 2013, 10:46: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no interest in or success at any kind of gambling so this is probably my first and last attempt.

Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana, 25SoD

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary LA:
I have no interest in or success at any kind of gambling so this is probably my first and last attempt.

Don't worry, the only reason I'm using the gambling format is so that we all can back more than one papabile and we still find out who has made the best guess.

To demonstrate, I will now move 5 of my SoD onto Turkson, and we get:

Cardinal Leonardo Sandri - 40 SoD, odds 1.75 - 1
Cardinal Peter Turkson - 30 SoD, odds 2.33 - 1

So if Turkson were to win, you would now get a pay out of 58.33 SoD (133% profit vs. 25 SoD invested), and I would get 11.67 SoD (74% loss vs. 45 SoD invested).

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Bloody heck, as you can see I'm a also no gambler, I quoted decimal odds as fractional odds. Or something like that... But don't worry, I will get this sorted eventually. [Biased] Here's perhaps a better attempt:

Cardinal Leonardo Sandri - 40 SoD, odds 3-4
Cardinal Peter Turkson - 30 SoD, odds 1-3

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cardinal Baselios Cleemis - 25 SoDs

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Really interesting choice, Doublethink. That would be something! A bit young though, perhaps?
  1. Cardinal Baselios Cleemis - 25 SoD, odds 14 - 5
  2. Cardinal Leonardo Sandri - 40 SoD, odds 11 - 8
  3. Cardinal Peter Turkson - 30 SoD, odds 13 - 6

[ 28. February 2013, 21:11: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He is the youngest Cardinal - my logic is that a) the church would benefit from a young energetic leader to tackle its problems b) assuming he became Cardinal this early on merit rather than ambition he must be good c) the next pope needs take the bullet and change the culture re clerical scandal and I think that will take a generation - and therefore he needs to serve for a generation.

Earnest of that would be to take the name Dismas - but I doubt he will.

(Oh and it would be a real celebration of the diversity within the Roman Catholic Church.)

[ 28. February 2013, 21:25: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll add Cardinal Marc Ouellet to the pool, with a total of 15 SoD, and put my other 10 SoD on Cardinal Sandri.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Marc Ouellet seems to be such a favourite... I will cautiously move 5 SoD to him as well from Sandri. Still puts him at 5-1, which would be bargain in the real world.
  1. Cardinal Baselios Cleemis - 25 SoD, odds 19 - 5
  2. Cardinal Marc Ouellet - 20 SoD, odds 5 - 1
  3. Cardinal Leonardo Sandri - 45 SoD, odds 5 - 3
  4. Cardinal Peter Turkson - 30 SoD, odds 3 - 1

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will back Baseleos Cleemis with 18 SoD and Cardinal Ouellet with 7 SOD.

I thus proclaim my Indo-Canadian split.

Baseleos Cleemis is only 4 years younger than Karol Józef Wojtyła at his elevation. I agree with Doublethink.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost all Australian Catholics would be very pleased to see the back of Cardinal George Pell, so I'll add him to the list. He's certainly ambitious, but if the other cardinals' opinion of him is like that of the some nuns I know who refer to his rule as the "Pell Pot regime", he'd be a long shot. So I'll have 10 SofD on him and my other 15 on Turkson.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I will back Baseleos Cleemis with 18 SoD and Cardinal Ouellet with 7 SOD.

I thus proclaim my Indo-Canadian split.

Baseleos Cleemis is only 4 years younger than Karol Józef Wojtyła at his elevation. I agree with Doublethink.

PeteC, as you can see in the OP, you have to suggest a new papabile and put at least 5 SoD on him. Hence I cannot accept your bet as is, I'm afraid. It should be easy enough to find another contender (we don't have so many entries yet), and you then can still split the free 20 SoD between these two if you like.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
George Alencherry of the Syro-Malabar Rite 9 SoD
Basilios Cleemis 9 SoD
Marc Ouellet of Canada 7SOD

I rather like chai.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Cool. I was at best dimly aware of the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, now I know that she has two Cardinals. [Big Grin] Good to see Cardinal Pell, I'll think about backing him as a dark horse...
  1. Cardinal George Alencherry - 9 SoD, odds 161 - 9
  2. Cardinal Baselios Cleemis - 34 SoD, odds 4 - 1
  3. Cardinal Marc Ouellet - 27 SoD, odds 37 - 7
  4. Cardinal George Pell - 10 SoD, odds 16 - 1
  5. Cardinal Leonardo Sandri - 45 SoD, odds 25 - 9
  6. Cardinal Peter Turkson - 30 SoD, odds 25 - 9

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Sorry, Turkson also at 45 SoD above.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Basilios Cleemis is of The Syro-Malankara rite..

The Latin Catholics don't have a Cardinal. This time. Yet.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5 dollars on Cardinal João Braz de Aviz, prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, and former Archbishop of Brasília please.

5 dollars on Sandri and Ouellet too, please.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
5 dollars on Cardinal João Braz de Aviz, prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, and former Archbishop of Brasília please. 5 dollars on Sandri and Ouellet too, please.

Will do, but that leaves you with 10 SoD to spare (you get 25 SoD)...

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure. I was waiting to see what other names came up first - if that's OK ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Sure. I was waiting to see what other names came up first - if that's OK ...

That's perfectly fine. Though you can also always change your bet later, in any manner that you like.
  1. Cardinal George Alencherry - 9 SoD, odds 176 - 9
  2. Cardinal Baselios Cleemis - 34 SoD, odds 40 - 9
  3. Cardinal João Braz de Aviz - 5 SoD, odds 36 - 1
  4. Cardinal Marc Ouellet - 32 SoD, odds 43 - 9
  5. Cardinal George Pell - 10 SoD, odds 35 - 2
  6. Cardinal Leonardo Sandri - 50 SoD, odds 19 - 7
  7. Cardinal Peter Turkson - 45 SoD, odds 28 - 9

--------------------

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought gambling was illegal at Bushwood. Where have I been?

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll open the bidding on Cardinal Scola, putting 10 on him; 10 on Turkson; 5 on Ouellet.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll start with 15 on Raymundo Damasceno Assis, 10 on Godfried Danneels.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paddy Power here in Ireland has Bono for next Pope at 1000/1. I kinda like them odds

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I'll start with 15 on Raymundo Damasceno Assis, 10 on Godfried Danneels.

LeRoc, you can only suggest one additional papabile. And you then can only bet on that papabile and the other ones already on the list.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Finally, with Cardinal Scola we have an Italian (but there are plenty more Italians who have a shot!). I also show now a bunch more information (but have removed the totals). First, I show not only fractional odds, but also decimal odds, which I find easier to understand (basically per SoD in you get that many SoDs out). Second, I've added a "hedge bet". If you have not bet on that papabile and put this many SoD in, then you will at least recover 25 SoD on election. Third, I've added a "leader bet". This is simply one more than the current maximum bet on that papabile. Hence upping to that bet will mean you have the largest potential payout. Finally, I'm sorting the papabiles by (decimal) odds now.
  1. Cardinal Peter Turkson - odds: 17 - 6 (3.82), hedge: 8, leader: 26
  2. Cardinal Leonardo Sandri - odds: 16 - 5 (4.2), hedge: 7, leader: 36
  3. Cardinal Marc Ouellet - odds: 14 - 3 (5.68), hedge: 5, leader: 16
  4. Cardinal Baselios Cleemis - odds: 31 - 6 (6.18), hedge: 5, leader: 26
  5. Cardinal George Pell - odds: 20 - 1 (21), hedge: 2, leader: 11
  6. Cardinal Angelo Scola - odds: 20 - 1 (21), hedge: 2, leader: 11
  7. Cardinal George Alencherry - odds: 67 - 3 (23.33), hedge: 2, leader: 10
  8. Cardinal João Braz de Aviz - odds: 41 - 1 (42), hedge: 1, leader: 6

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5 on Luis Antonio Tagle

10 on Oullet

5 on Turkson

5 on Scola

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB:
In Australia, that great land of gamblers, odds have usually been quoted as decimals in recent years, so thank you for doing so here. Makes it easier for those who have not spent a lifetime at the race track.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the grounds of being fairly young my choice is Peter Erdo. I'll have five on him, and then ten each on Turkson and Cleemis

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Excellent new suggestions, as reflected in my change of portfolio: Sandri 15 (leader), Tagle 10 (leader), Turkson 8 (hedge), Erdő 7 (leader), Ouellet 5 (hedge). Just a reminder that you can get extra SoD by donating to the floating fund...
  1. Cardinal Peter Turkson - odds: 23 - 9 (3.56), hedge: 8, leader: 26
  2. Cardinal Marc Ouellet - odds: 9 - 2 (5.53), hedge: 5, leader: 16
  3. Cardinal Baselios Cleemis - odds: 5 - 1 (5.91), hedge: 5, leader: 26
  4. Cardinal Leonardo Sandri - odds: 23 - 3 (8.67), hedge: 4, leader: 16
  5. Cardinal Angelo Scola - odds: 49 - 3 (17.33), hedge: 2, leader: 11
  6. Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle - odds: 49 - 3 (17.33), hedge: 2, leader: 11
  7. Cardinal Péter Erdő - odds: 62 - 3 (21.67), hedge: 2, leader: 8
  8. Cardinal George Pell - odds: 25 - 1 (26), hedge: 2, leader: 11
  9. Cardinal George Alencherry - odds: 251 - 9 (28.89), hedge: 1, leader: 10
  10. Cardinal João Braz de Aviz - odds: 51 - 1 (52), hedge: 1, leader: 6

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I see Baselios is doing well [Smile]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I see Baselios is doing well [Smile]

Baselios is part of his title; Cleemis is his name in religion.

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good game IngoB.

5 on Gianfranco Cardinal Ravasi
15 on Angelo Cardinal Scola
5 on Marc Cardinal Ouellet

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fail to understand the whole process.

But I am putting 25 on Ingo B for his ingenuity.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
I fail to understand the whole process. But I am putting 25 on Ingo B for his ingenuity.

Thanks for that shamwari, but I would have to kill my wife first to become pope...

What you have to do is simple. Find a candidate that could become the next pope, which nobody has proposed yet. Currently 11 candidates have already been proposed, 10 you can find in my latest odds list, and Triple Tiara has just proposed Cardinal Ravasi. For ideas whom to propose, I put some links in the OP that talk about possible candidates, but you can also just go to the usual oddsmakers and look at their lists. For example, take the list from Paddy Power. Anybody on there with odds 80 - 1 or better will do. For example Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco has not been proposed here yet, has good odds from Paddy Power, and if you read the OP links, should be in with a good shot.

You must back your candidate with 5 SoDs minimum, always. That leaves you then with 20 SoDs to assign to any of the proposed papabiles, your own or any of the others. You can change your bet whenever you like, till I announce betting has closed. I keep track of the odds, i.e., the payout you get. Basically, you are betting against all other participants, so the money they lose goes to you, or vice versa, depending on who gets elected pope...

--------------------

Dogwalker
Shipmate
# 14135

- Posted      Profile for Dogwalker   Email Dogwalker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I'm in.

The Boston papers have elected Sean O'Malley already, so I'll start with 5 SoDs on him.

And 10 on Marc Ouelett ('m half French-Canadian, after all),
and 10 on Angelo Scola, for now.

--------------------
If God had meant for us to fly, he wouldn't have given us the railways. - Unknown

Posts: 155 | From: Milford, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
I fail to understand the whole process. But I am putting 25 on Ingo B for his ingenuity.

Thanks for that shamwari, but I would have to kill my wife first to become pope...
Not at all, you'd simply have to refrain from conjugal living.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Two new papabiles on the list. I'm following Triple Tiara's correct style for the Cardinals, but Baselios Cleemis is giving me some headaches. From the Vatican announcement, I derive the current style... but whether it is correct is a different matter.
  1. Peter Cardinal Turkson - odds: 13 - 4 (4.25), hedge: 7, leader: 26
  2. Marc Cardinal Ouellet - odds: 4 - 1 (5), hedge: 6, leader: 16
  3. Baselios Cleemis Cardinal Thottunkal - odds: 6 - 1 (7.05), hedge: 4, leader: 26
  4. Angelo Cardinal Scola - odds: 27 - 4 (7.75), hedge: 4, leader: 16
  5. Leonardo Cardinal Sandri - odds: 28 - 3 (10.33), hedge: 3, leader: 16
  6. Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle - odds: 59 - 3 (20.67), hedge: 2, leader: 11
  7. Péter Cardinal Erdő - odds: 149 - 6 (25.83), hedge: 2, leader: 8
  8. George Cardinal Pell - odds: 30 - 1 (31), hedge: 1, leader: 11
  9. George Cardinal Alencherry - odds: 301 - 9 (34.44), hedge: 1, leader: 10
  10. João Cardinal Braz de Aviz - odds: 61 - 1 (62), hedge: 1, leader: 6
  11. Seán Patrick Cardinal O'Malley - odds: 61 - 1 (62), hedge: 1, leader: 6
  12. Gianfranco Cardinal Ravasi - odds: 61 - 1 (62), hedge: 1, leader: 6

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Re you restricting your pool to cardinals ? Or can we propose baptised RCs who are currently unordained ?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Re you restricting your pool to cardinals ? Or can we propose baptised RCs who are currently unordained ?

Why not? That would put Terry Wogan and me in the field!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well OK then. Really I just want a chance to bet, but let me propose, on the grounds that popes used to come from religious orders rather than bishoprics sometimes (is that right?):

The Most Reverend Father Robert F. Prevost, OSA

But I'll put 10 SoD on Turkson and another 10 SoD on Scola please.

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
I'm following Triple Tiara's correct style for the Cardinals, but Baselios Cleemis is giving me some headaches.

As best I can tell, Thottunkal is his family name, Isaac is his baptismal name, Cleemis looks to be a titular surname that he assumed upon his consecration, and Baselios is a Christian name he assumed on being elected Catholicos. It appears to be something of a tradition for Catholicoses to assume the name Baselios (presumably in honour of St. Basil the Great).

So I might guess that Baselios Cardinal Cleemis Thottunkal might be correct.

Names are really hard to translate between cultures, however, and I am far from an expert.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:

Hmm. Quite frankly, I don't feel like fielding nonsense votes on this one (keeping track of the bets and odds is quite a bit of work!). So I will restrict it to ordained RCs, and unmarried. Personally I think anything lower than bishop is not going to happen, but I will accept deacons and priests.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

OK, add to that any non-ordained (male, RC, unmarried) vowed religious you can come up with. If you really feel that there is a completely lay RC out there whose odds are better than 1000 - 1, then make your case and I may make an exception.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Just out of interest, would it be theoretically possible under cannon law for any of these guys whose churches are in communion with Rome, to be elected ?

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
25 SoDs on Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera of Mexico City. I might redistribute 20 later, but for now I'll leave it all on Carrera.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep thinking the currency could have been called quatloos.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maureen Lash
Apprentice
# 17192

- Posted      Profile for Maureen Lash   Email Maureen Lash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rainer Maria Woelki - 5 SoD
Christoph Graf von Schoenborn - 20 SoD

As the youngest Cardinal Woelki is the Wojtyla of this race. Schoenborn is almost certainly the chosen heir of the Pope Emeritus.

Posts: 32 | From: Moseley | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Maureen Lash
Apprentice
# 17192

- Posted      Profile for Maureen Lash   Email Maureen Lash   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry but I clearly didn't read the rules properly. Place 25 SoDs on Cardinal Schoeborn please.
Posts: 32 | From: Moseley | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016