homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Vox Pope

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Vox Pope
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cast your votes for the next Pope! Pick up to three candidates from this list. They're all male, Catholic and in holy orders so there should be no problem there.

[ 13. May 2013, 10:52: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 83 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come on, Father Jack!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HA! [Overused]

I went with Adzo.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I went with Adzo.

Because we're all expecting someone repulsive and ugly, but found ourselves instead with someone young and handsome from whom no fee was required.

Also, the idea of William of Baskerville as Pope...the philosopher in me is relishing that prospect, given the people he was based on (Sherlock Holmes, obviously, but also William of Ockham and Roger Bacon) were all beyond cool and thought nothing of showing the bird to established authorities. Actually, given that Ockham wrote a treatise that explains how the Pope can be excommunicated and Bacon may have gotten himself placed under house arrest for radical sympathies and theological innovations...well, that's irony for ya.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn Dumas gave cardinal Ritchie a bad name, time to reform it.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I went with Adzo.

Because we're all expecting someone repulsive and ugly, but found ourselves instead with someone young and handsome from whom no fee was required.

Also he's completely gullible and will do whatever we tell him. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note that Brother Cadfael is in the lead. Mmm a pope who knows how to find the skeletons in the closet.

Could do worse, I expect. If I could also vote for the abbess who looks after the papal apartments, I would vote for Edith Pargetter (nom de plume: Ellis Peters) now sadly dead.

Pargetter wrote cracking whodunits under both her own name and the Peters pseudonym. Underrated, but marvellous.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cardinal Richelieu stands out as the one best qualified to understand the Vatican underworld - and best qualified to rig the vote in his own favor. And, as a cardinal, he is already inside the room where the vote takes place. He's clearly the man for the job.

Isn't it about time that the French got to bring the papacy back to France?

(I actually voted for Father Brown and Friar Tuck, sentimentalist and idealist that I am.)

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went for Br. Cadfael, Fr. Brown, and Fr. Dowling. Compassion, common sense, talent for figuring out and solving problems, and capable of more than black-and-white thinking.

If I could add another, it would be Friar Tuck. For the above reasons, more or less, and Robin Hood skills and sensibilities would not be amiss!
[Smile]

As to the papal household, I'd vote for two folks from the TV "Fr. Dowling Mysteries"--Jean, the housekeeper (played by Mary Wickes, aka Josephine the Plumber from the old ads); and Sr. Stephanie (Tracy Nelson), who'd partly grown up on the streets, could hotwire cars, and was brave enough to help a fellow teenager give birth in an emergency, get her to safe harbor, and keep her promise to never tell. I think Stephanie would probably go on private missions.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But where is John Blackwood "Blackie" Ryan? [Confused]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

Disqualified for lust and bad writing on the part of his creator.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Fr. Blackie! And he could definitely handle the politics.

I've long hoped that Andrew Greeley would make him pope.
[Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly Monsignor Quixote was missed off the list so I had to go for Don Camillo as my first choice.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

I knew sooner or later someone would pop in with "But where's...?"

Can't please everybody, sorry [Two face]

It's looking like a clear-cut result for the Benedictines, but they've produced more popes than any other order, so no surprise there.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

It's looking like a clear-cut result for the Benedictines . . .

. . . except for poor Adzo von Melk—but he's only a Benedictine in the book, so I guess you have a point. I was thinking that what we want is a detective for Pope!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a piglet of very little brain - I missed the "vote for up to three" bit, so cast only one vote - Father Ted, in memoriam.

If I'd had my brain-cell switched on, I'd have added Brother Cadfael and Father Jack. [Big Grin]

Careful, now. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have cast all three votes for Cardinal Ritchie if I could. I object this was not possible. I suspect malice in that... [Paranoid]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr. Sarducci seems the obvious choice to me. Pragmatic and flexible. He might have to quit smoking, though.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I screwed up on the three votes thing, too- # 2 and# three would have been William of Baskerville and Sarducchi.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sorry, but Sarducchi comments belong on a particular thread in Heaven. [Devil]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Benedictines R Us.

Is "Father Brown" being repeated any time soon, does anyone know? I missed the lot.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Benedictines R Us.

Is "Father Brown" being repeated any time soon, does anyone know? I missed the lot.

You missed nothing. Related to the original in name only.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It occurred to me this morning that Brother Cadfael, jolly good chap though he was, wouldn't have been eligible. At least one of the books mentions (IIRC it was regarding not being able to hear confessions) that although he had taken monastic vows, he wasn't ordained as a priest.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
It occurred to me this morning that Brother Cadfael, jolly good chap though he was, wouldn't have been eligible. At least one of the books mentions (IIRC it was regarding not being able to hear confessions) that although he had taken monastic vows, he wasn't ordained as a priest.

Not actually a problem, if only in canon law-land. Although it's been a really long time since it's happened, laymen have been ordained pope, and, according to the 1983 CCL, still can be.
Plus, if Fr. Dougal's eligible, you can't be having too many standards . . .

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Ah, right. I didn't enjoy the stories much when I read them (years ago now) but it might be time to give them another go.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Ah, right. I didn't enjoy the stories much when I read them (years ago now) but it might be time to give them another go.
I'm very fond of them- as much, though, for the evocative settings as the plots.
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having never read the books I rather liked the series.

And I went with Don Camillo as my favourite. They were some of the first 'religious' books I ever read and I think Christ on the Cross forms a lot of my understanding of God.

[ 04. March 2013, 14:39: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by PeteC:
quote:
I note that Brother Cadfael is in the lead. Mmm a pope who knows how to find the skeletons in the closet.

Not a a bad quality for someone about to live and work in the Vatican.

Cadfael is also fair, humble, hard-working, inquisitive, kind. He dislikes injustice, is willing to question official dogma, and is gently subversive of prideful superiors. He lives in the real world and engages with people of all classes., He thinks empirically while not forgetting that God is always around us. He talks simply and does not wear flashy clothes.

We could do worse than choose a Pope like that.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re Cadfael:

I only know him from the TV series (with Sir Derek Jacobi!) and a non-fiction book about his garden.

He was really sensitive to shades of gray in life. I'll never forget the time he interviewed a woman who'd been the mistress of a nobleman, borne him a son, and was now a (lay?) nun. He needed to ask about all that, and he approached her very gently and delicately. She smiled, and said something to the effect of "there is room in my life now for neither pride nor shame".
[Cool]

I was thinking, also, that the real-life Br. Lawrence of the Resurrection (author of "The Practice of the Presence of God") would make a good choice. He was a soldier who converted while he was recovering from an injury. He expected that the spiritual life would be miserable, and he was pleasantly surprised. He was very compassionate, and much sought after as a spiritual director.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems that we'd all prefer a candidate, who, in all likeliehood, wouldn't want to be pope.

Hmm. Maybe that should be a pre-requisite?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Definitely. I think it is or was a monastic rule that anyone who "intrigued after the office of Abbot should not have it".
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand that Karol Wojtyła (John Paul II) muttered something like "God forgive you!" under his breath when he saw how the vote count was going.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don Camillo gets my vote, as he is in the habit of talking to God and being ticked off by him. Seems to me the single most important attribute for any church leader of whatever stripe.

(And, Firenze, I'm another Father Brown afficianado, who was horrified when I saw one of the TV series.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Brother Cadfael is still in a (narrow) lead!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Perhaps we could quietly relay our selection to the Conclave? In fortune cookies!

--------------------

SyNoddy
Shipmate
# 17009

- Posted      Profile for SyNoddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If asked, I would say that Brother Cadfael has been a hugely positive influence on my spiritual journey. I was reading Ellis Peters long before I began to read the Bible, so I'm going to vote for a welsh pope - though he'd hate it I'm sure
Posts: 53 | From: Somewhere near the Middle | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re Fr. Brown TV series:

Is this the American one from the 70s/80s with Barnard Hughes in the lead?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re Fr. Brown TV series:

Is this the American one from the 70s/80s with Barnard Hughes in the lead?

No, it's a new one with Mark Williams (also playing Beach in
Blandings ). It's sickeningly Marpleised (and updated to some never-never land 1950s).

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016