homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Sine Nomine Training Grounds (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Sine Nomine Training Grounds
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As per the current discussions,I would like to start a game in which we practice responding gracefully to insults. In other words: "I refuse to be offended."

(Since it is so close to an Offense thread, I wanted to check first.)

SO the rules are kind of like "Helping hand" or some such-- you give a set up, the next person responds, and provides their own setup.

If you want, use a specific insult you never had an answer for, but do NOT import board conflicts, past or present. (and don't get too heavy-- it's the Circus, not Oprah.)

Your response to the previous insult must be gracious and friendly-- almost as if you are taking it as a compliment. PM Sine or Grits for tips.

[any other rules?]

Example Set up: (from my stepfather) You hair was your one great beauty,and you cut it all off. Now you look ordinary. It's a shame, I tell you!

Example Response: Thanks, it's working! my spiritual adviser told me to avoid the sin of pride, and to stop basking in the endless compliments I get.The haircut takes enough of the edge off my dazzling beauty that it just might be possible now.

...and so forth.

Okay to kick things off...

Nobody wants to tell you this, but you have the most annoying, obnoxious laugh anyone has ever heard. Did you ever wonder why flocks of Canada geese suddenly appear overhead when you are laughing?

<small>[ 11. February 2013, 06:25: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]</small>

[ 13. May 2013, 10:59: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but...

{Smiles, and flies away with geese.}

Your IQ is smaller than your shoe size.

(Popular when I was a kid.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good; I was trying to find a way of advertising my presence so people would hear me coming. It's tactful, and makes life so much easier when they have time to change the subject naturally before I enter the room. Thanks - you've made my day.

From an aunt to my (allegedly) adult self: " you used to be such a nice child...."

Sorry, X-posted. Take your pick.

[ 10. November 2012, 06:05: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nobody wants to tell you this, but you have the most annoying, obnoxious laugh anyone has ever heard. Did you ever wonder why flocks of Canada geese suddenly appear overhead when you are laughing?
You know you are not the first to notice the quality of my laugh. A man who books studio audiences for sitcoms asked for my e-mail addy. Although it isn't usual to have laugh tracks anymore, evidently they sometimes "fill out" a studio laugh with a distinctive laugh that startles everyone else into laughing louder. A laugh like mine. [Big Grin]

(At the beach) You know I've lost quite a bit of weight. And I know that you could, too. You could do better than to look like a beached whale in a swimsuit.

ETA: And yet another X-post. Sigh.

[ 10. November 2012, 06:16: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On second thoughts, I'll continue, just to simplify matters.

your IQ is maller than your shoe size

Bless you, you're obviously having a bad day and need to vent personally instead of just disagreeing courteously. I don't mind absorbing your ill humour for once; maybe it will save some other, more vulnerable person, fom your attack.

From an aunt to my (allegedly) adult self: " you used to be such a nice child...."

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Jeez! Crosspost madness!)

(At the beach) You know I've lost quite a bit of weight. And I know that you could, too. You could do better than to look like a beached whale in a swimsuit.

I am so glad I am your friend. I get to stand by you and make you look better. I live for it.

Your IQ is smaller than your shoe size.

Yeah, I know, In Outer Bumfukia, my shoe size is about 250. So, close, but a little smaller, yeah.

You were so nice when you were a kid.

I was practicing to be an outstanding adult. Thank you for noticing.

For God's sake, pipe down when I'm trying to talk! Johnny McLastword!

[ 10. November 2012, 06:24: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your concern for my health is so touching. Just fancy, being unable to string a sentence together while I'm smoking. Tell you what, I will quit, just for you.

Just look what the cat dragged in

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

And cats are known for their impeccable taste.

You fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tree looks much prettier now, without all those ugly branches. Pleased to be of service.

Bit of a rush this morning, was it? Did you forget to brush your hair?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Hot and Hormonal] He just wouldn't let me get out of bed. You know how it is.

Do you really have to keep cracking your gum like you are the percussion section of an a cappella group?

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Finally, I've mastered it! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been trying to get the precise sound of the percussion section. Do you think you could do tuba?

It's so good of you to patronise Oxfam so regularly and help clear out their rejects box

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

It's incredible what you can find if you look carefully,isn't it? So many people can't be bothered, and miss out on an individual look.

Your next dental appointment is coming up, isn't it?

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I'm so lucky to have you as my unpaid PA - I'd have missed the appointment otherwise and I do like to keep my teeth clean and healthy.

You'd forget your head if it wasn't screwed on

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh thank you so much for reminding me, I would have looked pretty silly going out without my head.

You are a the most boring person i've ever met.

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for helping me realise my teaching materials weren't going to work for that lesson. I always find it so helpful to try them out on you first.

That's so lame

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gold lame always becomes me.

You have a mouth so tightly pursed it looks like a cat's bum

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow that's amazing, i'm so impressed that you spotted the look i was going for.

Your so stupid! If your brains were dynamite, you wouldn't have enough to blow your hat off

--------------------

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

quote:
Originally posted by claret10:
Wow that's amazing, i'm so impressed that you spotted the look i was going for.

You're so stupid! If your brains were dynamite, you wouldn't have enough to blow your hat off

ETA (correct my grammer, [Disappointed] )

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then why is your hat sitting so perfectly on your head, while mine is over there on that seat?

You're blinkin' hopeless!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's these new glasses. I can now keep my eyes open for more than three seconds.

You're as thick as two short planks.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, I'm glad my diet is paying off, so much better to be two planks thick, not three.

You're 2 sandwiches short of a picnic

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh! We have two more joining us on our picnic! This is going to be even more fun! Do you know if they want pbj or egg salad?

They say that pretty babies grow up to be ugly adults and ugly babies turn into beautiful adults. You were such a pretty baby. (Actually used on me by my grandmother!)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's so good to know that I've inherited the family traits.

(Actually said to someone who wasn't pregnant) Wow you're looking well, when's the baby due?

[ 10. November 2012, 14:15: Message edited by: Raptor Eye ]

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, thank you! The baby? Nanny brings him in about 5.

You look like something the cat dragged in.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Last week my cat dragged in the cutest little grey squirrel. Yeah I can see the connection, thanks. [Big Grin]

How did you ever manage to graduate high school?

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Isn't it amazing? All I had to do was flutter my eyelashes at the examiners. I do find it helps to be pretty.

you know, leggings only really suit slim people

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much, do you like my red ones or my black ones best?

You can't sing a note - please be sure to mime through the next song

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Oh, thank you so much, I was about to ask you if my bum looked big in these and you've saved me the embarrassment of asking.

You'd look so much younger if you'd dye your hair

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Thanks you for noticing my heavy cold. So kind of you to let me stay and be part of the concert instead of sending me home. You are such a darling, and so sensitive to others.

When are you going to do what your being paid for?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

When he throws in a diamond choker. (Wink wink)

(From Steely Dan) Bodacious cowboys such as your friend will never be welcome here.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Good. Now I can have him all to myself. You won't mind if we leave early? (nudge).

Did you knit that? I can tell it's home made from across the room.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I took the time to knit that, I have very high standards for my appearance, and find that store-quality workmanship just will not do.

Actual comment from my youngest son, then aged 12
When people get older, they are supposed to get wiser; how come you are older than any of my friends' fathers but still, you are an idiot?

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Because consistency is such an underrated quality in our society, and I want to set an example. One day you'll thank me.

(said to me by a four-year old) You're bad, You're a bad, bad teacher, You're the baddest, baddest teacher in the whole bad school.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, thanks kid. I'm writing a beat poem about how tough it can be working in school and I think you might just have given me the perfect ending to it!

Is that what the kids are wearing these days?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Wonderful isn't it? So colourful and free, and showing their personalities.

You're going grey. You'd look so much younger if you dyed your hair

Teenage comment to me, regularly

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Imaginary Friend-- what I actually said was, "At least I'm superlative.")

That's exactly my problem, if I dye my hair to match my age, people will not recognize the deep ancient wisdom my grey hair signals.

Why are you looking at that dress in the window? It will never fit you.

[ 10. November 2012, 21:00: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your concern, but I am afraid that I would get very strange looks cashing my pension cheques; besides, my eyes are grey, and I have always been told they are my most attractive feature.

With an enormous ass like that, have you ever considered attaching backup lights for safety?

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Aw, you been lookin'. You go for that badunkadunk don't you, honey?

Why are you looking at that dress in the window? It will never fit you.

[ 10. November 2012, 21:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

Of course the window will never fit me; I am much smaller than it.

Is that your nose, or are you eating a banana?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm actually eating a banana with my nose. It's a complicated trick. Hope I'm not showing off.

I see you have a Kandinsky book on your coffee table. What kind of deluded schill likes Kandinsky?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I've been meaning to ask you that since you lent it to me.

Do you think will your clothes ever come back in fashion?

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think they ever were. Were they?

You have so many issues, you could sell subscriptions!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Excellent! I could do with a little extra income [Big Grin]

If you had a brain, you'd be dangerous!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

But I'd hate to be dangerous, so it's probably a good thing, isn't it?

What on earth were you thinking when you got involved with him?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I was thinking,"This is one none of my friends will try to swipe."

You know, if you wear your skirt that short, you'll get a name.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I already have one, actually, it's "Ariston." Don't you think it's rather fetching?

You're just like my ex

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, I know! She and I have said the same thing! Only she constantly creams me on "Words with Friends."

You know,you should hear what they say when you walk out of the room.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Ooh, I'm obviously just your type. Sounds as if we could make a go of it.

You sound just like my mother. I do not mean that in a good way

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

As long as I don't sound like my own mother, I'm good.

You know,you should hear what they say when you walk out of the room.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'd rather not: it would go to my head!

You don't think those clothes are a little young for you, do you?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016