homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Pastor "stiffs" the help! Or, Americans are weird about tips. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Pastor "stiffs" the help! Or, Americans are weird about tips.
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Pastor" stiffs a server for portion of restaurant bill

C'mon, man. [Disappointed]

[Because Clergy aren't struggling enough with their collective image]

<small>[ 13. February 2013, 00:09: Message buggered about with by: comet ]</small>

[ 10. November 2014, 18:37: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something about this story seems a little off. I'm questioning whether the guy was really any sort of a pastor at all.

Granted, I know there are a lot of jerks wearing clerical collars, and I certainly wouldn't put it past one of them to be a tightass. The detail that rings alarm bells is the word "pastor" added above the signature. That strikes me as something that a wannabe would do, rather than a genuine cleric. I think a real pastor would either use the title as part of his regular singature, or leave it out. Not add it on afterwards as a triumphal victory lap, like this guy seems to have done.

Plus, a real pastor would likely have put a prosletyzing message, maybe including an invitation to come to his church, claiming that to be the tip.

Probably a table of Amway distributors, and the guy had just made Diamond with his bible-based sales pitches, and figured this put him closer to God or whatever.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did he "stiff" the waiter in public? Surely there must be some decency law about that sort of thing.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
:snort:

A stiff is one who does not tip or tips poorly. What one calls somebody who seeks to denigrate clergy by portraying them thus I don't know.

(I'm not going to comment on slang I don't already know because I got Styxiliated last time I did that)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firstly, he appears to have paid the included service charge - and maybe this is a pond thing, but a whopping 16.9% would be considered robbery here (why not just up the food price and pay your staff more?), and secondly he wrote '0' in the extra gratuity. Seems very odd to expect an extra gratuity when you already paid a hefty service charge.

People here are also very suspicious of tipping on a machine here because they really don't know if the staff get it, so they tend to tip in cash directly to the person who served them.

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just realised the tip was a whopping 18%! [Eek!]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Just realised the tip was a whopping 18%! [Eek!]

An 18% service charge on groups of over a certain size (8 is standard) is very common in the US. The usual voluntary tip rate in the US is %15, higher in big cities. Wait staff get paid minimum wage or lower, so tips can make or break a week's wages. Of course none of this would be necessary if they were paid a living wage but advocating that makes me some sort of pinko commie these days.

BTW, there is strong evidence afoot on the interwebs that this was a faked story.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Thanks Kyzyl for the explanation of the tipping etiquette of mercans. Fairly different from here.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea if this thing is real or not, but many folks outside the US shocked at the automatic 18% gratuity for a large party probably don't know that lots of wait staff here are essentially working for tips. The federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 an hour, so if the state they live in doesn't have a law mandating something higher, wait staff are living off of tips. In California, the minimum wage for everyone is $8/hour, including tipped employees, but given the high cost of living here, $8/hour doesn't go very far.

It would be nice if the cost of service were included in the prices at restaurants, bars and coffeehouses, but since it isn't, it is incumbent upon people who go out to realize that when they pay their tab, they haven't completely paid for the service they've received until they've added the tip. I tip 20%. It's part of the cost of the meal or drink, and if I can't afford that, I can't afford to go out.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I tip 20%. It's part of the cost of the meal or drink, and if I can't afford that, I can't afford to go out.

Precisely.

Christians being shitty tippers is a recurring thread topic on the Ship. Because it's painfully true. And it's even more painful when they're all self-righteous about it, as if treating people poorly were part of our Christian duty.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

$2.13??!!!! Holy shit! Now that's robbery [Eek!]

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of stuff about this troubling:

That a person would not tip at all -- bad.

That an actual clergy person would not tip at all -- bad.

That an actual clergy person would denegrate a server at all -- bad.

That a pretending person would target the clergy to harm that group and/or its image -- bad.

Pick your poison. [brick wall]

--------------------

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I tip 20%. It's part of the cost of the meal or drink, and if I can't afford that, I can't afford to go out.

What RuthW said. I've got plenty of friends who put themselves through school waiting tables and tending bar- without tips, it would have been impossible given what wait staff (aren't) paid in the U.S.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a po-faced prig. But at least he didn't leave a handy Bible verse to underline his point.

("Comping", now there's a word I haven't heard before.)

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:

What RuthW said. I've got plenty of friends who put themselves through school waiting tables and tending bar- without tips, it would have been impossible given what wait staff (aren't) paid in the U.S.
And if you order pizza to be delivered to your home, the pizza delivery person has to pay his own car expenses. Keep that in mind when you're deciding how much to tip!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you really cared about this instead of just wanting to whinge at stupid Brits who don't understand the strange American practice of having a compulsory tip added to your bill and them being expected to tip even more on top, then you would find out what restaurants pay a fair wage and only use them. And you would find out what restaurants employ staff who are union members and only use them. And you would let the restaurants and the trade unions know you were doing that. And if ewnpugh people diod it, then soone rort later thigns would change. As it is you are facilitating employers who are addicted to immorally low wages.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two interesting developments.

The waitress who posted the picture of the check (not the same waitress who served the table) has been fired. The article helpfully includes the information that the national chain restaurant for which she formerly worked paid her the princely wage of US$3.50/hour.

The pastor in question has given an interview to The Smoking Gun.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
then you would find out what restaurants pay a fair wage and only use them. And you would find out what restaurants employ staff who are union members and only use them.
Its really not a choice. Restaurants that pay a fair wage? There are virtually none. It is for that very reason that tipping at a restaurant (and for certain other services) is part of the 'social contract' in the United States. It is optional only in very narrow circumstances (i.e., the wait staff completely ignores your party, you get no service, etc.). Otherwise, it is done as a matter of course and everyone I know would look down severely on a person who did not tip.

No one is 'whinging at stupid Brits'; just clarifying a cultural difference.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here's an interesting observation from a few years back.

quote:
Take, for example, how Christians tip and behave in restaurants. If you have ever worked in the restaurant industry you know the reputation of the Sunday morning lunch crowd. Millions of Christians go to lunch after church on Sundays and their behavior is abysmal. The single most damaging phenomenon to the witness of Christianity in America today is the collective behavior of the Sunday morning lunch crowd. Never has a more well-dressed, entitled, dismissive, haughty or cheap collection of Christians been seen on the face of the earth.

I exaggerate of course. But I hope you see my point. Rather than pouring our efforts into two hours of worship, bible study and Christian fellowship on Sunday why don't we just take a moment and a few extra bucks to act like a decent human being when we go to lunch afterwards? Just think about it. What if the entire restaurant industry actually began to look forward to working Sunday lunch? If they said amongst themselves, "I love the church crowd. They are kind, patient and very generous. It's my favorite part of the week waiting on Christians." How might such a change affect the way the world sees us? Think about it. Just being a decent human being for one hour each Sunday and the world sees us in a whole new way.

The rest of the essay is pretty insightful as well.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then, ken, you would never eat out.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon in the Nati:
Restaurants that pay a fair wage? There are virtually none.

What would John Chrysostom say?

And don't you have minmum wage laws over there? If the restaurants don't pay the minimum, why the hell not? And if they do, then who tips minimum wage employees who don't work facing the public?

Join the union. And if there isn't a union, start one. Its the only way to get employers to play fair. Nothing else works.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Then, ken, you would never eat out.

No-one HAS to eat out. Plenty of wealthy Europeans and Americans are happy to shout at companies in India or Africa for supposeldy using child labour. The moral issue is the same. If the restaurant business truly is is so corrupt, so, immoral, so ungodly, that not one of them pays a fair wage, then stop supporting them in their sin - which is one we are told cries out to God.

What would Isaiah say? What would Amos say?

[ 31. January 2013, 18:57: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to try eating out ethically, here's a guide to help you make your choices.

[ 31. January 2013, 19:01: Message edited by: Josephine ]

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
good stoles nice attitude

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
No-one HAS to eat out. Plenty of wealthy Europeans and Americans are happy to shout at companies in India or Africa for supposeldy using child labour. The moral issue is the same.

I assume, then, that you're going to give up your computer, seeing the condition of the laborers who made it? Or do you have a bit of a double standard here?

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
And don't you have minmum wage laws over there? If the restaurants don't pay the minimum, why the hell not? And if they do, then who tips minimum wage employees who don't work facing the public?

Read my post if you actually want to know something about the minimum wage for restaurant workers in the US.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken, in case you missed it, restaurants are exempt from minimum wage laws when it comes to waitstaff. Because it is assumed that the waiters are getting tips.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

quote:
quote:
then you would find out what restaurants pay a fair wage and only use them. And you would find out what restaurants employ staff who are union members and only use them.
Its really not a choice. Restaurants that pay a fair wage? There are virtually none. It is for that very reason that tipping at a restaurant (and for certain other services) is part of the 'social contract' in the United States. It is optional only in very narrow circumstances (i.e., the wait staff completely ignores your party, you get no service, etc.). Otherwise, it is done as a matter of course and everyone I know would look down severely on a person who did not tip.

No one is 'whinging at stupid Brits'; just clarifying a cultural difference.

Okay, Shipmates, is this a legitimate member of the clergy to you, or a 'pastor?'

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do object to automatic service charges - tips should be earned by good service, not assumed. Nandos and Chinese restaurants in particular seem to do this a lot.

While I sympathise with the situation of American waitstaff, I don't agree with rewarding someone just for doing their job, it should be for particularly great service - not automatic.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Jade, thats fine so long as the waiters get good wages, but nobody can be expected to live off a miserable $2.13/hour

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
While I sympathise with the situation of American waitstaff, I don't agree with rewarding someone just for doing their job, it should be for particularly great service - not automatic.

the business owners would say the prices of the products are lower in expectation of the tip. they're saving on wages and taxes and pass the savings on to you! I'm not sure I agree this is true.

I will say, though, as a tip earner on minimum wage, that if it weren't for tips I would not do this job. nor would any other server I know. It is not worth it. for the most part, the work sucks ass and you get treated like gum on people's shoe. the only thing that keeps you from going postal is counting out the cash at the end of the night.

And I DO tip based on service. if I get awful service, they don't get tipped. if it's so-so service, 15-20%. great service gets 25-50% depending on how great and how flush I am. if I can't tip, I don't go out. it's part of the price.

as for creating a union... HAH! there are a million drones waiting in the wings for these jobs nowadays. it would never work. and damn few people make a career out of being a server, it's a few years at most. not really worth the effort. you just move on. and yes, the business owners have us over a barrel, thanks for asking.

there are no benefits, either. before you ask. few of us are given full-time hours, either. if you're under full-time status, you don't have to be given much of anything. happy little loopholes.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have no idea if this thing is real or not, but many folks outside the US shocked at the automatic 18% gratuity for a large party probably don't know that lots of wait staff here are essentially working for tips.

I know it. And it tends to just make me doubly shocked rather than singly. You've basically got a bunch of slaves who have to rely on the kindness of their masters rather than actually being entitled to wages.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
If you want to try eating out ethically, here's a guide to help you make your choices.

Bookmarked.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay, Shipmates, is this a legitimate member of the clergy to you, or a 'pastor?'
What, precisely, do you mean?

--------------------

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

It's not "rewarding" them for doing their job. It's how they get paid. It's just a different mechanism than if you buy something at the supermarket and the checkout clerk is "rewarded" in her paycheck at the end of the month.

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Two interesting developments.

The waitress who posted the picture of the check (not the same waitress who served the table) has been fired. The article helpfully includes the information that the national chain restaurant for which she formerly worked paid her the princely wage of US$3.50/hour.

The pastor in question has given an interview to The Smoking Gun.

Interesting that everyone here assumed the pastor was a man. What a bunch of sexists we are.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shall we file this with the other "Pond Differences" or is there a discussion to be had?

(I should add that I know a good deal about tipping practice in the USA and I've never been there. See what you learn on the Ship of Fools.)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You Americans are in serious trouble. Not paying workers properly. Not advertising prices properly. Automagically increasing costs to individuals because they happen to show up in group beyond a particular number. Just glad to see there were no guns involved.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

quote:
Not advertising prices properly.
The food costs what the menu says it costs. It has fuck-all to do with paying the wait staff.

quote:
Automagically increasing costs to individuals because they happen to show up in group beyond a particular number.
Only you would think it is magical. Everyone else knows that large parties have a gratuity added to the bill. If you live in a cave and don't know it, it generally says so on the menu. No one is surprised when the bill comes.

quote:
Just glad to see there were no guns involved.
Go fly a kite, eh.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]

No, I live in a igloo like all Canadians. Just like you live in a trailer park with the other rotten tooth gorillas.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

Hey, you're funny! You ought to write for television.

In any case, this really is about you being mystified by commonly-understood American social convention. While I doubt it takes much to mystify you, it really isn't my problem whether or not you understand it.

Now tell me: has Canada taken to issuing passports yet, or do you still just show your mullet at the border crossing?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Not advertising prices properly.
The food costs what the menu says it costs. It has fuck-all to do with paying the wait staff.

quote:
Automagically increasing costs to individuals because they happen to show up in group beyond a particular number.
Only you would think it is magical. Everyone else knows that large parties have a gratuity added to the bill. If you live in a cave and don't know it, it generally says so on the menu. No one is surprised when the bill comes.

quote:
Just glad to see there were no guns involved.
Go fly a kite, eh.

'Everyone else knows' = everyone who grew up with the same social conventions. Not tourists. I point this out partly because Australians have a reputation as exceptionally bad tippers? You know why? Because no-one taught us growing up that it was necessary.

Also, food might cost what it says on the menu, but I certainly remember buying other things in the USA and being astounded that there was additional VAT to pay at the till. In this country, such a practice would be illegal.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I point this out partly because Australians have a reputation as exceptionally bad tippers? You know why? Because no-one taught us growing up that it was necessary.

perspective from a very international climbing town: Europeans, generally: 3rd worst. Australians: 2nd worst. Japanese: absolute worst.

within Europe, Scandinavians and Germans are the best.

other places, even non-tipping countries, tend to do okay. maybe they get a little lesson when they leave their country.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
'Everyone else knows' = everyone who grew up with the same social conventions. Not tourists. I point this out partly because Australians have a reputation as exceptionally bad tippers? You know why? Because no-one taught us growing up that it was necessary.

Also, food might cost what it says on the menu, but I certainly remember buying other things in the USA and being astounded that there was additional VAT to pay at the till. In this country, such a practice would be illegal.

Agree. That's why staff in Australia are offended when ignorant loud US tourists offer them tips, they don't like being associated with sex workers.

Keep your wacky practices to yourself. Do not want.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Hey, you're funny! You ought to write for television.

We already do. Most of your funny people are Canadian.

quote:
Yon the Fati
In any case, this really is about you being mystified by commonly-understood American social convention. While I doubt it takes much to mystify you, it really isn't my problem whether or not you understand it.

You are the world, centre of everything, you five percenter. When people don't agree or understand you just talk louder. Typical schnipical weinerclops.

quote:
Join the Fatpig

Now tell me: has Canada taken to issuing passports yet, or do you still just show your mullet at the border crossing?

No we just give them pickles. You freaking merrycans you want pickles with everything.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
You freaking merrycans you want pickles with everything.

Okay now that's just not true. We even had a commercial back in the 1970s for Burger King that started, "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce." Would they have put that in a commercial if nobody ever wanted a burger without pickles? No, they would not have. It would have sounded too weird (like, "one hamburger, hold the meat").

This proves beyond the shadow of any doubt that Americans do NOT want pickles with everything.

Love your toque, by the way.

--------------------

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

quote:
When people don't agree or understand you just talk louder.
Usually, yes. But not in this case. In this case, you didn't understand it, and I explained it, and you still don't understand it.

Life must be a terrible struggle for you.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
Agree. That's why staff in Australia are offended when ignorant loud US tourists offer them tips, they don't like being associated with sex workers.

'scuse us for trying to do the right thing.

and ignorance goes both ways.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about do the 'right thing' and legislate wages that people can live on?

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
ignorant loud US tourists

BTW this is fucking rich. The aussies who come through here are loud, rude, ass-grabbers who like to get in fights at the drop of a hat and think they have a right to get drunk and be dicks and we're somehow obliged to serve them.

but you know what? I'm going to be the better man and assume these assholes don't represent an entire nation.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Seeing as American tourists spent AUS$1.8 billion in Australia in 2011, the "fuck you" attitude seems potentially self-harming.

quote:
How about do the 'right thing' and legislate wages that people can live on?

Tell our Republican friends that for me, would you?

[ 01. February 2013, 01:06: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016