homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: What do Popes do? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: What do Popes do?
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SusanDoris:
[qb] Well for a start, they wouldn't sell holy relics - and Iam absolutely sure people would buy them if they were offered for sale. I am also sure that I agree that selling human remains without consent should not be permitted.

Thank you. I think nowadays, too, that anyone gullible enough to buy something purporting to be a genuine ancient relic really would need to 'get a life'! [Smile]
I was thinking more in terms of the massive quantities of precious metals etc; however, it sounds as if it is quite possible that other branches of the RC Church might well raise the money...ah, well! And the world continues to muddle along....

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
'Theological reasons'? I cannot think of a valid reason which would prevent some items being sold to pay, for instance, for food for the poor. Could you explain, please?

Who would pay a good price for them, other than some filthy-rich person (most likely Chinese these days) who would probably acquire them as trophies of his wealth and as an investment, i.e. hoping that the value would rise? And with no obligation ever to show it to the public?

The public loses again.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm impressed that he is used to cooking his own meals and wonder how much he will continue to do so.

Sometime I hope that (with the help of someone used to writing on the subject) he will give us a little book or at least article, perhaps entitled something like "Refueling for Busy Bachelors on a Budget." Refueling is probably not the right word-- too inhumane an analogy, and machines don't give thanks for their fuel, whereas a wise bishop would know the importance of thanksgiving. This is the niche that needs to be filled: humble, practical, no-nonsense food chosen and prepared efficiently but with enough competence and flair as to invite the diner to give thanks for it (which my own attempts don't always do).

If Pope John II sang for us on recordings, then Francis can write a cookbook. After all, he did grow up in an Italian family.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
The public loses again.

Yes; sad, but true.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of interest to this thread.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016