homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: White Smoke! Discuss the new pope... (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: White Smoke! Discuss the new pope...
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
True story: I once got into an argument with one of my confirmation kids trying to explain that Schroedinger's cat is a thought experiment about the quantum level of existence, and that an actual cat in the experiment would certainly be dead, even if no one looked.

Ummm, no. The whole point of the Schrödinger box is that it's only fatal to the cat 50% of the time. It's the uncertainty that the thought experiment is supposed to illustrate.
On the macro scale, the cat is most certainly either alive or dead, if you were to conduct the experiment.
Please note that being "certainly either alive or dead" is very different than "certainly be dead".

To illustrate this using a somewhat tasteless papal example (because why not?), take two conversations:

quote:
Q: How's Benedict XIV?
A: He's dead.

versus

quote:
Q: How's Benedict XIV?
A: He's either alive or dead.

These are not even remotely equivalent to each other.

[ 13. March 2013, 19:38: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
On the macro scale, the cat is most certainly either alive or dead...

And if extraneous influences, such as fresh air, are excluded, we can take a pretty good guess at which...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
What is a plenary indulgence ? (Impressed with the shout out to twitter.)

By fulfilling certain conditions one can have the temporal punishment (purgatory) removed for all sins already forgiven. All nonsense, of course, but that's what it means.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To my surprise I'm impressed. He seems warm and likeable. Was asking the crowd to pray for him before he blessed them an innovation? It felt modest and disarming.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't understand any more than his body language, but he appears as a confident leader and teacher to me, and close to the popular. Good on him for getting a laugh inside the first minute of speaking.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
First Argentinian pope.
First South American pope.
First Jesuit pope.
First Francis.

Anyone know how he stands on liturgy?

Commentators implying he goes with more stripped down, less ornate, liturgy. They noted particularly he didn't sing the blessing.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does seem to be a clear - things are different message, which is positive.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unassuming, modest and Franciscan in spirit. I get the impression that this one is spiritual and he lives what he preaches.

And I agree with Twilight. There's an innate kindness and simplicity about him. First impressions and all that, but I like him very much so far.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Una Papa ab ultra leuia!

[ 13. March 2013, 19:41: Message edited by: Sober Preacher's Kid ]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
First Argentinian pope.
First Jesuit pope.
First Francis.

Commentators implying he goes with more stripped down, less ornate, liturgy. They noted particularly he didn't sing the blessing.
So where does he stand with regards to Benedict's reform of the reform and the Tridentine rite?

[ 13. March 2013, 19:42: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm impressed he's had the imagination to pick a new Papal name. About time, there's been too many Johns already.

And nothing wrong with being a Jesuit. As long as he doesn't try and assassinate the Queen or conquer Japan, it'll be fine.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me I think it is significant that his first act of worship was communal, the recitation of Lord's Prayer, Hail Mary and Gloria (the prayers nearly all the faithful could recite by heart); that was followed by a request for the crowd to pray for him, before he blessed. It makes worship communal and reciprocal.

It invokes a dynamic that I recognise occassionally in Reformed worship but find even more rarer in higher traditions.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that was different! Beginnings are very important; that felt like a good one.

What's the significance of membership of the Liberation Community?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Impressive how he got the excited, shouting, flag-waving, noisy and bubbly crowds to silence and pray for him.

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked his informality, his asking the people to pray for him, (WAS that an innovation??) his saying at the end, OK I'll leave you now, but see you soon...ci vediamo presto!

Also I liked his first words being about his role as Bishop of Rome.

And of course his choosing of the name Francis 1 is very appealing and inspires hope, as Francis is a saint beloved by so many in the world, far beyond just the Catholic church.

--------------------
Pondering.

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems like a nice chap.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The next days will juxtapose his humble first minutes as a Pope, his silencing of the crowds, the look on his face as he stood on that balcony and the potentially programmatic choice of his name with the question of what he did or did not do during the Dirty War in Argentina, the question of the Jesuits' consternation over his closeness to Community & Liberation.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
So where does he stand with regards to Benedict's reform of the reform and the Tridentine rite?

It's hard to know for certain so soon, but I suspect it's not as important to him as it was to Benedict.

Somewhere (possibly on the Ship, but I don't think so...) I read someone speculating that the new pope would put an end to the "crap coming out of St. Louis". (This from someone of the ilk who thinks anything but Gregorian chant is a vile Vatican II innovation). Given that he's a Jesuit, it doesn't seem likely.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC spent ten minutes telling us all about Scola before the name was announced!
Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
bad man
Apprentice
# 17449

- Posted      Profile for bad man     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
First Argentinian pope.
First Jesuit pope.
First Francis.

The Tridentine rite is not his bag at all. Look at the comments on the Rorate Caeli website for wailing and gnashing of teeth which may answer your question. He has not been a promoter of Summorum Pontificum.

He came out in the simplest "piano" dress, with no mozzetta. He took the stole off. He prayed with the people and spoke conversationally with them before and after the formal parts. He did not intone; he spoke.

He's not your man, Ad Orientem.

Posts: 49 | From: Diocese of Guildford | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
What is a plenary indulgence ? (Impressed with the shout out to twitter.)

By fulfilling certain conditions one can have the temporal punishment (purgatory) removed for all sins already forgiven. All nonsense, of course, but that's what it means.
Nonsense or not, as my wife's Jewish aunt and uncle said at our Christian wedding when offered a blessing, I'll take any blessing I can get!

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was genuinely beautiful. [Tear]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After watching his initial blessing, I haven't felt this good about a new Pope since +++John Paul I of short but blessed memory.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder what his name signifies. I'd been assuming it was a reference to St Francis of Assisi, which could signify a desire to purify and rebuild the RCC. Certainly all that Channel 4 could say about him was very positive: a humble man, as Archbishop lived in a modest flat rather than the palace, and did his own cooking. Well, whatever qualities he turns out to have may God bless him, and use him to bless the whole Church [Votive] .

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best I can tell from a quick web surf, Francis I is a conservative on doctrinal issues and a progressive on social justice. He certainly is no trad. He has broken the regular ceremony for the appearance on the balcony (dress, ritual), stressing simplicity and prayerfulness. That was a rather strong statement already.

(Doublethink, a plenary indulgence means that - under certain conditions - all temporal punishment for one's sins is removed. It's not about going to heaven or hell then, but rather about dealing with the consequences of already forgiven sins in purgatory.)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I wonder what his name signifies. I'd been assuming it was a reference to St Francis of Assisi, which could signify a desire to purify and rebuild the RCC. Certainly all that Channel 4 could say about him was very positive: a humble man, as Archbishop lived in a modest flat rather than the palace, and did his own cooking. Well, whatever qualities he turns out to have may God bless him, and use him to bless the whole Church [Votive] .

Given the simplicity of his presentation, I would say S. Francis of Assisi.

--------------------

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hear he's a bit of a Catholic Evo. St Francis is a figure most traditions warm to, was noted for living simply, and reckoned it was worth having a go reaching out to Muslims even in during a time of armed conflict. Don't know how much of all that the new Pope aspires to.

Says a lot about the cardinals that they reckon he's the man for the next phase of the life of the church.

Good day for Christendom I reckon.

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by bad man:
quote:
quote:
quote:
First Argentinian pope.
First Jesuit pope.
First Francis.

The Tridentine rite is not his bag at all. Look at the comments on the Rorate Caeli website for wailing and gnashing of teeth which may answer your question. He has not been a promoter of Summorum Pontificum.

He came out in the simplest "piano" dress, with no mozzetta. He took the stole off. He prayed with the people and spoke conversationally with them before and after the formal parts. He did not intone; he spoke.

He's not your man, Ad Orientem.

That's what I was afraid of.
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:

Says a lot about the cardinals that they reckon he's the man for the next phase of the life of the church.

Good day for Christendom I reckon.

This. I have a good feeling about this. [Smile]
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

Oh, and one piece of trivia from your desert girl who has travelled to Argentina many times...

Bergoglio used to be titular bishop of Auca.

And "Auca", in the local Mapuche (North Patagonian Indians)language, means "rebel".

Nomen sit omen...

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could refer to Francis Xavier, seeing he's a Jesuit ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:

Actually, since he is a Jesuit I would say that St Francis Xavier (co-founder of the Society of Jesus) is as likely. In fact, given that St Francis Xavier was a famous missionary, I think the name choice very cleverly point to both saints.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
After watching his initial blessing, I haven't felt this good about a new Pope since +++John Paul I of short but blessed memory.

Yes, that was what I thought. This one could be the best thing that's happened to the church in years. He's someone who could win a lot of people over, I think - an engaging personality.
bad man
Apprentice
# 17449

- Posted      Profile for bad man     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard his words from the balcony as hinting that he might devolve power to bishops a bit. He said the duty of the Cardinals was to choose a "Bishop for Rome" and he asked the crowd to pray for their bishops.

Presenting himself first and foremost as Bishop of Rome and not as leader of the whole church may mean bishops in general are more important in his book.

I undertand he spoke out against the Curia in the pre-meetings and so part of his mandate may be, not simply to reform the Curia, but to make the whole organisation less dependent on its centre.

Posts: 49 | From: Diocese of Guildford | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't agree with everything he has said and done, but he seems nice and I like the name he has chosen.

Just prayed for him at EP. I know other Anglicans are doing so.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

Actually, since he is a Jesuit I would say that St Francis Xavier (co-founder of the Society of Jesus) is as likely. In fact, given that St Francis Xavier was a famous missionary, I think the name choice very cleverly point to both saints.
Yes, that entirely makes sense.

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

I guess it does point very cleverly to both saints--except surely a bit more towards St Francis of A, as don't you usually pick Xavier or Javier when calling someone after St Francis Xavier?

--------------------
Pondering.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it say anything that he was chosen so quickly?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
I don't agree with everything he has said and done, but he seems nice and I like the name he has chosen.

Just prayed for him at EP. I know other Anglicans are doing so.

As a gay person (and an Anglican), I didn't expect much nor did I receive it, but I too prayed for him in his new ministry.

I reserve the right to say "Lighten up Francis" when he speaks though.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Monseigneur Strange predicted this last night - including the name I think (according to BBC news) I wonder if the conclave leaked.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope his days are long and healthy, and that he brings peace and healing to the church. And that he revokes the filioque of course.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well, you never know your luck !

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Monseigneur Strange predicted this last night - including the name I think (according to BBC news) I wonder if the conclave leaked.

Not sure how it could have been leaked. They went through three more voting rounds today. It was probably just a pretty shrewd guess based on knowing the personalities as he did.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Una Papa ab ultra leuia!

Translation, please? [Confused]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Does it say anything that he was chosen so quickly?

Rumour here is that he received a lot of votes at the previous conclave, so he started as a known papabile.

Seems to me that the feeling of hope that so many share when a new man takes office points to a deep dissatisfaction with how things are.

And the hope is somehow never entirely fulfilled; by the time of the next election, the service (I refuse to say reign) of Pope Francis will have become the unsatisfactory norm and we'll all be hopeful about the next guy...

Or am I too cynical ?

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats to my Catholic brothers and sisters on your new Pope! [Smile]

This evangelical chickie finds the whole thing quite fascinating.

The first Francis! [Smile] A South American! [Smile] . A man who lived in a small flat in Buenos Ares and who spoke up for the poor. A man who, like the saint whose name he has taken on and the Jewish rabbi all Christians worship, seems to value gospel simplicity. May it be so. He seemed awed at first, when he appeared on the balcony, then very warm and personable. [Smile]

My first impressions are very favourable. [Smile] .

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
Una Papa ab ultra leuia!

Translation, please? [Confused]
I missed this on my first read-through distracted by my interest in the news, but yes. Translation please. This is an English board.

Gwai,
Purgatory Cardinal I mean Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Una Papa ab ultra leuia!

*A Pope from across the Seas!

A Non-Italian Pope is referred to as "Una Papa Ultramonta", "A Pope from beyond the Mountains (Alps)."

A little different in this case.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Cara:
I guess it does point very cleverly to both saints--except surely a bit more towards St Francis of A, as don't you usually pick Xavier or Javier when calling someone after St Francis Xavier?

Well, let's not forget that there's also St Francis Borgia, who among Jesuits is usually considered their second founder (as their arguably most successful General, who nevertheless was considered a humble saint even in his lifetime).

So I'm thinking that St Francis is already the intersection of two famous Jesuits, before we start considering the Franciscan St Francis.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does his age mean? Is he considered transitional, like his predecessor was called?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016