homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Bombing in Boston (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Bombing in Boston
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it would also be helpful if reporters could somehow refrain from idiot questions like the one I heard from a news TV conference yesterday, repeated several times:

"Can you tell us what went wrong with the security at the marathon?"

I wonder how the spokespeople refrain from punching these questioners' lights out.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is to be a briefing at 5 PM Eastern, about 50 minutes from now. So we will see then what we learn. It appears there is a suspect, though no arrest.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
And here's a statement from the FBI:

quote:
Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.

Seems to me there are two possibilities: The AP and CNN have it wrong. Would be bad journalism, but certainly totally possible. Not like that ever happened before! However, maybe I'm paranoid, but everyone kept quoting law enforcement officials saying there was a person in custody, so a possibility #2 occurs to me too. They do have someone in custody but are using, what did they call it extreme questioning? to force said person to give more information like who their conspirators are.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
However, maybe I'm paranoid, but everyone kept quoting law enforcement officials saying there was a person in custody, so a possibility #2 occurs to me too. They do have someone in custody but are using, what did they call it extreme questioning? to force said person to give more information like who their conspirators are.

Seriously?!? Your reaction to a fairly reasonable statement by the FBI in the face of several conspiratorial-sounding false stories is to speculate that a suspect is being held secretly and tortured for information?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do know how often the US government gets caught torturing people? Way too often for my taste. And I accepted that it was quite likely that their sources are wrong, but since they say their sources are law enforcement, that shouldn't be simply assumed, I'd think. Law enforcement REALLY should know whether a person is arrested or not. And law enforcement will not be likely to confuse arrested and detained for questioning either. But no, I am not saying that's what happened.

[ 17. April 2013, 20:51: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Briefing postponed, for now. There was a bomb threat (which turned out to be false) to the Moakley Federal courthouse in Boston.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grammatica:
Briefing postponed, for now. There was a bomb threat (which turned out to be false) to the Moakley Federal courthouse in Boston.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

I remember after the Virginia Tech shootings, there were assorted bomb threats which further upset everyone.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You do know how often the US government gets caught torturing people?

I have some idea.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

That's what my memory suggested. So you see why I'm suspicious. Sadly enough, the biggest reason I presume it's not true is that it would be too obvious. The suspect will probably be seen by the cameras and all.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You do know how often the US government gets caught torturing people? Way too often for my taste. And I accepted that it was quite likely that their sources are wrong, but since they say their sources are law enforcement, that shouldn't be simply assumed, I'd think. Law enforcement REALLY should know whether a person is arrested or not. And law enforcement will not be likely to confuse arrested and detained for questioning either. But no, I am not saying that's what happened.

You think every policeman in Boston knows what the hell is going on with the investigation? I think common areas in police stations are just as likely to be a hotbed of rumour, misinformation and Chinese whispers as anywhere else. Having a badge doesn't provide omniscience. It just provides an aura.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like it's all going off around the Boston bombings . One likely suspect dead and another being pursued .

I think it was highly fortunate a lot more people weren't killed in the bombing , as clearly that was the intention . The bravery of the police pursuing these killers, one of whom sadly has been killed , is also commendable.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to news reports, the entire population of Boston and six other cities and has been ordered to stay indoors. Has there ever been such an extensive lockdown of population before?

[ 19. April 2013, 17:08: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
According to news reports, the entire population of Boston and six other cities and has been ordered to stay indoors. Has there ever been such an extensive lockdown of population before?

Much of Europe had that pretty much every night for years on end int the 1940s.

Anyway its being blamed on Chechens. Which is bad news for the USA because if there is one conflict zone you really really don't want to get caught up its the Caucasus.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of us would really rather not get caught up in any international conflict zone. It's just that much of Europe got tired of staying indoors & such during the 1940's. [Razz]

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Yehbut, yehbut.... I think it's a bit different here. One thing to have a regular, planned-for, properly patrolled night-time curfew during war-time; another to have a reactive lock-down for police pursual of suspected criminals. I was trying to imagine what life in Northern Ireland would've been like if there'd been a Boston-type response to every terrorist activity of that sort.

Still, different strokes and all that. And every situation needs to be taken on its own merits.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anyway its being blamed on Chechens. Which is bad news for the USA because if there is one conflict zone you really really don't want to get caught up its the Caucasus.

It's being blamed on two young men who are Chechen refugees- as far as I am aware, there is no known connection to any specific rebel or terrorist group at this point. It is entirely possible that they were agents of some foreign entity, but at this point, they could also easily be two independent actors who used information they found on the internet to build and plant bombs. It is way to early to start anticipating a military response.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll say. Nothing about this looks to be anything other than a disaffected older brother winding up his younger brother and persuading him to get involved. I hope he hears his uncle's advice and turns himself in.

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
quote:

Yehbut, yehbut.... I think it's a bit different here. One thing to have a regular, planned-for, properly patrolled night-time curfew during war-time; another to have a reactive lock-down for police pursual of suspected criminals. I was trying to imagine what life in Northern Ireland would've been like if there'd been a Boston-type response to every terrorist activity of that sort.

Still, different strokes and all that. And every situation needs to be taken on its own merits.

Isn't it just a broader and more widely publicized version of what happens pretty much anywhere when there's a suspect lose? Certainly here in LA having a neighborhood shut down in this way for a period of time when there's a dangerous suspect at large is not at all unusual. This shut-down is obviously on a much wider scale so the degree of disruption is greater, and because of the circumstances is receiving far greater media attention, which probably heightens the feeling of being under siege. But functionally, is it really any different?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

I suspect it is about frequency. If Boston had the same level of activity as did Northern Ireland, I suspect the reactions would be much the same in Boston as in NI.

[ 19. April 2013, 19:00: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

To be fair, Boston proper is pretty small -- some 75,000 souls altogether. The "six other cities" are really just a passel of grown-together burbs in the area surrounding Boston, where you can pass through three or four of them in the space of 10 minutes on one T (public transport) ride. Outside of greater Boston, most inhabitants of Allston, Brighton, etc. say, when asked, they're from Boston.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
To be fair, Boston proper is pretty small -- some 75,000 souls altogether. The "six other cities" are really just a passel of grown-together burbs in the area surrounding Boston, where you can pass through three or four of them in the space of 10 minutes on one T (public transport) ride. Outside of greater Boston, most inhabitants of Allston, Brighton, etc. say, when asked, they're from Boston.

Boston proper is a city of over 620,000 people with 4.5 million in its metro area. We residents of Allston and Brighton say we are from Boston because they are both inside city limits. [Razz]

[ 19. April 2013, 19:24: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

You think every policeman in Boston knows what the hell is going on with the investigation? I think common areas in police stations are just as likely to be a hotbed of rumour, misinformation and Chinese whispers as anywhere else. Having a badge doesn't provide omniscience. It just provides an aura.
Completely missed that this was a response to me in my vague tired reading. (That's totally the bad side of reading as a host [Big Grin] ) Good point. Boston's a big enough city to have an awful lot of clueless police who may want to look important by talking to the media. That is probably way more likely than my theory--and almost guaranteed to be what actually happened considering how things ahve played out!

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:
I'll say. Nothing about this looks to be anything other than a disaffected older brother winding up his younger brother and persuading him to get involved. I hope he hears his uncle's advice and turns himself in.

The lack of any group "taking responsibility" makes me think it's two punk kids expressing their disaffection with the world. Even moreso, the robbery of a convenience store, that's like asking for more trouble.

The younger one at this point knows he has nothing to live for but life in the harshest prison, so he'll try to do as much damage as he can on the way out.

As to lockdown, I heard it's a neighborhood, a few blocks, not the whole city!

And yes it has happened before in USA. I was in DC after M L King's assassination, that city was on lockdown, then very limited daytime hours allowed out on the streets, national guard patroling with orders to shoot to kill anyone out after the slowly lifted curfew, food-less hotels struggled to feed guests who couldn't go out to a restaurant, staff had to stay overnight which meant they couldn't work at all if they had kids at home.

Some neighbors have no food at home, they eat out or send for pizza. Lockdown can only be brief or people start having real physical & medical problems from lack of access to normal supplies. And if you need an emergency plumber - yikes!

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All citizens of Boston were asked to stay indoors, but not legally obliged to do so. Most people obeyed, though, and public transport and taxi service were both suspended.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Looks like they might have caught the fugitive suspect, hiding in a boat in a Watertown backyard.

--------------------

Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last report (8:23 pm local); suspect "pinned down" but police at a distance due to fears of an explosive device.

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm listening to the police scanner. Sounds like they've got him alive.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I can hear people cheering outside.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great relief.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Heard one news report that police had arrested 2 additional men and 1 woman in New Bedford, MA. Haven't heard any confirmation, but the report claimed there was some connection to the younger brother who's now in custody.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Heard one news report that police had arrested 2 additional men and 1 woman in New Bedford, MA. Haven't heard any confirmation, but the report claimed there was some connection to the younger brother who's now in custody.

I've completely given up on believing any news reports on this that aren't either quite a few hours old or from a high-level official source. The amount of misreporting this week has been pretty astonishing.

I don't think it's anything malicious, I just think that too many people (including but not confined to journalists) are rushing around like mad things with a priority on being first with the news rather than being right. Which leaves no room for clarifying things or correcting misunderstandings.

The past history of the brothers is a fine example. From Chechnya. From Dagestan. From Kyrgyzstan. Lived in Kazakhstan. Been in America for a year. Been in America for a decade.

[ 20. April 2013, 03:33: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree.

That the Czech Republic's Ambassador to the USA had to release this statement regarding confusion in old media and social media is rather disturbing. I'm a little disappointed that it did not include a gracious acceptance of any forthcoming offer to meet with the the Secretary of Education to discuss initiatives to improve geographical awareness in the US education system.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I'm not sure if the Czech/Chechen has anything to do with organised media (as opposed to the general universe of fuckwittery that one can find by daring to look at Youtube comments), but it still disturbed the hell out of me. There are quite enough idiots out in the world who will seek their own kind of 'justice'. These are the kinds of people who think Sikhs are Muslims because they wear turbans, and who think that our own mousethief can't be a Christian because of his long beard.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same with those people in the UK who attacked a paediatrician's house (link). Paedophile sounds so similar, doesn't it.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me of a similar incident where a group gathered indignantly outside a house where there was a brass plate that gave the person's name and "Paediatrician". As if a paedophile would advertise it on a brass plate on the door.

Very relieved to hear they managed to get the second suspect still alive and hope they may get some answers, and fingers crossed that Sunday's London Marathon passes without incident.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been away for a few days and I caught up with President Obama's address at the inter-faith service. That was Obama at his best IMO.

Glad they've caught the second man. Hope it's limited to the two of them.

A good friend of mine is running in the upcoming London Marathon, raising money for the Norwich Food Bank. I'm putting some extra prayer time in.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's hope the suspect is the right man, sometimes people run because they're chased.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Let's hope the suspect is the right man, sometimes people run because they're chased.

Very true. However, I feel somewhat more confident that the average person being chased doesn't happen to have explosive devices or trigger switches handy. Nor would I expect them to carjack someone.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Looks like they might have caught the fugitive suspect, hiding in a boat in a Watertown backyard.

So can anyone on this thread explain this picture, taken apparently from a news channel helicopter?

It appears to show "suspect 2" casually getting in, or out, of the boat. He doesn't appear to be seriously wounded at this point. The AFP caption says this is "after he was found hiding in a boat".

I'm completely confused by this photograph compared to the reports. Can anyone provide a sourced explanation?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

So can anyone on this thread explain this picture, taken apparently from a news channel helicopter?

It appears to show "suspect 2" casually getting in, or out, of the boat. He doesn't appear to be seriously wounded at this point. The AFP caption says this is "after he was found hiding in a boat".

I'm completely confused by this photograph compared to the reports. Can anyone provide a sourced explanation?

Would a broken arm or bullet wound be counted as a 'serious' injury?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er, he's drenched in blood. That's about a pint on the left of the picture, on the sheet, let alone all over him.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In these photographs, taken after he was apprehended by police and put in the ambulance he's more obviously bloodied, particularly around the head.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am wondering how the suspect #2 escaped from the "police shoot-out" at 1:30 AM where 200 rounds were fired, a police helicopter overhead and got to Watertown on foot where he was located because a person saw him in his backyard boat? Where is all the high tech when you need it?

[ 20. April 2013, 12:50: Message edited by: IconiumBound ]

Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:

The resolution of that still picture hardly provides enough resolution to reach conclusions, never mind conclude that his movement is 'casual'.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Also, having just spotted the relevant photo, the caption does NOT say clearly this image was obtained after his capture.

It might possibly convey that meaning, but the caption is a horrifically clumsy compound sentence that runs about 4 ideas together.

quote:
This image obtained April 19, 2013 courtesy CBS News shows Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing who was captured Friday night, April 19, 2013 after he was found hiding in a boat in a Boston suburb

The caption can just as easily mean that he was captured after he was found hiding in a boat, not that he was PHOTOGRAPHED after he was found hiding in a boat. In fact, 'capturing' is the more likely meaning based on the sentence structure.

[ 20. April 2013, 12:58: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

ADDENDUM: What I meant was that the caption fails to convey the order 'found hiding - captured - photographed'.

Found on the boat has to come first. But the caption is completely inept at indicating at what point after that the photo was taken.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orfeo the AFP photo caption on the Daily Telegraph site says exactly what I said it said.

Since then I've since seen the picture on the Daily Mail site which says it was CCTV footage; presumably filmed before he was found and viewed afterwards. Mystery solved, perhaps.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Orfeo the AFP photo caption on the Daily Telegraph site says exactly what I said it said.

It can't possibly. You quoted half a sentence.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

The man who owns the boat claims to have peeked in the boat when he saw that the strap of the tarpaulin had been cut, and found the guy in there curled up in a pool of his own blood. Which would indicate to me that he was already injured.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Indeed, here is EXACTLY what it says:

quote:
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing who was captured Friday night, 19 April 2013, after he was found hiding in a boat in a Boston suburb
Exact same sentence structure. Perfectly capable of meaning 'he was captured after being found hiding', not 'he was photographed after being captured'.

[ 20. April 2013, 13:42: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016