homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Bombing in Boston (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Bombing in Boston
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
It does indeed seem to me that there is a certain aptness, that one who intends to kill and maim others by means of explosives should be themselves blown up. If "karmic justice" isn't the right term, perhaps you could suggest a better one ?

Almost literally 'hoist with one's own petard'? (I think a petard is a box of gunpowder. Not quite semtex, but close enough.)
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those who live by the sword ...

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink:
quote:
Yes, Derek Bird and Raoul Moat were in relatively small places.

I believe the phrase you are looking for here is 'sparsely populated'. Derek Bird's killing spree ranged from Whitehaven to Seascale, a distance of about 15 miles. That may not sound like very far to those of you who aren't familiar with the roads in that area, but it's why it took Cumbria police so long to corner him. There's *one* good road in that part of West Cumbria, and most of the others are little country lanes. By the time most people in the villages heard what was going on he'd been and gone.

Locking down Whitehaven may have saved a few lives, though.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
(PS: I bought my Crocs from the Croc shop in Boston a couple of years ago [Smile] ! That guy still sitting on his horse?)

"That guy"? Who? You mean this guy, George Washington, the father of our country?

Yep -still there last time I looked.

I was thinking of this guy , Paul Revere?
Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, put it another way.

When something awful like this happens, people ask why. They ask "Why me?" and "how can people be so evil as to do such things ?"

And coming to an understanding, telling a story that makes sense of things, is a part of the healing process.

The criminal investigation will throw up some answers as to the specifics of this case. But if you want to know - need to know - how people can do such things, you don't have to look very far from home.

That's a pretty unpalatable truth, and if this is the wrong moment to point it out, I'm sorry for my bad timing.

You know the song, "From both sides now" ? It's a sad song, a song of lost illusions.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As others have said, no individual deserves to be blown up by another individual.

The problem here is that individuals are ultimately affected by the actions/inactions of the larger institutions with which they identify: religions, nations, ethnicities, cultures, linguistic groups, etc. The theory behind terrorism (and with still no claim coming forward from any group that this action was done on their behalf, I'm not convinced this bombing was backed by any group) is that killing/threatening/terrorizing innocent civilians will cause those civilians to put pressure on the organization (religious group, government, etc) seen by the terrorists as the oppressor.

It's ironic, really. the fatal flaw in the terrorist thought process is that citizens in the western democracies can actually influence those who govern them. See "background check: senate" for further details.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm a little surprised that I can write something that says "justice is too much to hope for this side of the grave" and it's read as saying ""they deserved it". But maybe some people can't cope with responses that aren't as simple and unmixed as "fer it" or "agin it".

Sorry Russ - however much you want to soft pedal it, I don't recognize this:
quote:
And I know it's way too much to hope for that any of those who've been hurt in the current evil are those who put some money in the box for the old country 20 or 30 years ago. Boston is a big city.
as any kind of justice. Again I ask - what kind of justice system includes the punishment of having your legs blown off?
quote:
Do you want to see a world without terrorism ? Wouldn't it be a big step in that direction if the world's only superpower publicly committed itself to never again support terrorism in any form ? Wouldn't that be a good outcome, the best use to which the wave of public emotion about this recent crime might be directed ?

You've not provided any evidence of this allegation:
quote:
pre-9/11 the US government was cool about private citizens sponsoring terrorism overseas.
and I really don't feel any need to assent to this sort of "why don't you stop beating your wife" argumentation, particularly when it comes from someone who thinks maiming is a just punishment for anything.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The criminal investigation will throw up some answers as to the specifics of this case. But if you want to know - need to know - how people can do such things, you don't have to look very far from home.

My understanding is that you're insinuating that people don't have to look too far from home, i.e., that they can look at people in Boston who have indirectly or directly funded similar bombing attempts in the past.

At this point, I think it would be very useful to point out two things.

First, that the appropriate parallel to Irish-Americans funding bombings in London during the Troubles would probably be Chechen-Americans (or Chechens in Kyrgyzstan, as it were) funding bombings in Moscow in the 1990s. The United States has never been involved in the colonization or occupation of either.

Second, that those who died at the hands of these two men were aged 8, 23, 26, and 29; with the exception of the oldest, who may have been a few months old, none of them were alive at the time of the Harrods bombing. But hey, sins of the fathers, right?

Meanwhile, "how people can do such things"...I haven't heard of anyone close to home knowing what it's like to set down a bomb in a crowd in cold blood, look someone in the eye, and walk away without flinching when it explodes. Someone who puts money in a tin is not as responsible as someone who builds or detonates a bomb, and any claim that he is lives in some kind of two-dimensional moral and legal flatland.

We've been scoffed at for not having much experience with bombings, by Russians and Brits: why is it such a big deal? Why look for the guy? You're right, we haven't developed such a stiff upper lip from repeated exposure. But before anyone feels too superior, it's worth noting that our colonized and oppressed groups—black descendants of slaves, Puerto Ricans, Mexican-Americans whose land we conquered—have never, in the 20th century, felt the need to turn to violence against their own, democratically-elected government.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
You appear to be misidentifying the sentiment as either schadenfreude or revenge.

Don't forget savage tribalism. You may be willing to go through the effort it takes read sentiments like "Well, they know better now!" with a spirit of generosity, but I don't see why I have to.

What I know with some certainty is that, when I heard about bombings on the radio, I would be terribly ashamed of myself if I thought something like that, definitely ashamed enough to not march over to my computer and brag about it on the ship.

[ 22. April 2013, 12:33: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
Meanwhile, "how people can do such things"...I haven't heard of anyone close to home knowing what it's like to set down a bomb in a crowd in cold blood, look someone in the eye, and walk away without flinching when it explodes.

The people who do these things do not consider the victims to be human beings with a right to live. They care so much more about their 'cause', whatever it is, that other people's lives are expendable.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a question. Did the African National Congress fundraise in the UK back in apartheid days? I believe they got funding from the World Council Of Churches and some Scandinavian governments.

Because, as I recall, by the 1980s, the ANC had begun engaging in a few bombing campaigns in South Africa, some of which took out civilians. Nothing on the scale of what the IRA was doing, but I do recall at least one picture of a guy staggering around the scene of a bomb blast, blood streaming down his face. And this is not even mentioning the violence in the townships, which admittedly is probably harder to pin on the ANC leadership.

So, if there was ANC fundraising in the UK, or even just a significant number of Brits who belonged to WCC churches, I suppose someone could say that IRA bombings were karma for that.

Of course, a Brit may wish to reply(and I'd basically agree), that the ANC was fighting a monstrous evil, whereas the IRA was wreaking havoc on a well-meaning, if imperfect, liberal democracy trying to keep the peace in on its frontiers. The IRA-lovers in Boston would probably not have shared that interpretation, however.

[ 22. April 2013, 13:33: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's a nightmare separating out resistance movements, insurgencies, guerilla groups, terrorists, and so on. I think some lawyers use just war theory to do this - so for example, the French Resistance (denounced as terrorists no doubt by the Germans), fit quite a few of the criteria, as does the Irish uprising of 1916, and the war against the British. But then the ANC, the Iraqui insurgency, the Provos - do these fit? I don't know.

But I am pretty sure that the Boston bombings do not fit, since the USA has not invaded Chechnya.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ANC bombings and landmine campaigns

This is all from the 80s. It seems the number of people killed would have numbered somewhere around 200, assuming this listing is complete.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Quetzcoatl wrote:

quote:
But then the ANC, the Iraqui insurgency, the Provos - do these fit? I don't know.

I think one of the modern critera(not part of the old Just War theory) is "Are you fighting against a dictatorship or a democracy?" The logic being that resort to war is valid only if you have no recourse at the ballot box. Therefore, ANC good, IRA bad.

But even that kind of falls apart when a democratic country invades a sovereign country, as in the US/Iraq. Since the people in the targeted country did not get a vote on the matter.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It does indeed seem to me that there is a certain aptness, that one who intends to kill and maim others by means of explosives should be themselves blown up. If "karmic justice" isn't the right term, perhaps you could suggest a better one ?

Sure, there's a certain aptness there. But that is a million miles away from throwing in some reference to Irish-Americans funding the IRA a few decades ago when referring to an event that killed 2 young women (one of them a Chinese national) and an 8-year-old boy.

I am completely mystified as to why you thought there was any reason to bring the IRA up in this context.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, it's a nightmare separating out resistance movements, insurgencies, guerilla groups, terrorists, and so on.

Easy-peasy.
I agree with their goal = resistance fighters
I disagree with their goal = terrorists.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
And I know it's way too much to hope for that any of those who've been hurt in the current evil are those who put some money in the box for the old country 20 or 30 years ago. Boston is a big city.
Again I ask - what kind of justice system includes the punishment of having your legs blown off?
A very old one. You blow off someone else's legs, eye for an eye blows off yours. You get what you gave.

I took his post as a theoretical wish - not THAT someone who had financed IRA should have his legs blown off,

only that IF anyone was going to be hurt it would be confined to the ones who financed similar harm on others, instead of innocent bystanders

even while expressing awareness "eye for an eye" karmic justice rarely happens in real life, it's the innocent who suffer on all sides.

He was NOT calling for anyone's legs to be blown off.

Tangent sort of - Have there been any stories of people repenting of having financed Irish bombings? Like, after 9-11?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Quetzcoatl wrote:

quote:
But then the ANC, the Iraqui insurgency, the Provos - do these fit? I don't know.

I think one of the modern critera(not part of the old Just War theory) is "Are you fighting against a dictatorship or a democracy?" The logic being that resort to war is valid only if you have no recourse at the ballot box. Therefore, ANC good, IRA bad.

But even that kind of falls apart when a democratic country invades a sovereign country, as in the US/Iraq. Since the people in the targeted country did not get a vote on the matter.

Yes, that is like Ireland, I mean the 1916 uprising. I think the British eventually conceded the legitimacy of the Irish war, since they negotiated with Michael Collins, who had just had some of their intelligence officers shot in their beds.

But here it is a question of the struggle for national independence, which carries a lot of weight in law. This is different from some scruffy group which wants to protest at something, and uses violence.

Also, as lilBuddha just said, it depends on who you agree with. As some people used to say in N. Ireland of the Provos, they're bastards, but they're our bastards.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:

Tangent sort of - Have there been any stories of people repenting of having financed Irish bombings? Like, after 9-11?

As a result of 9-11? Sincerely doubt it. Not how it works.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, that is like Ireland, I mean the 1916 uprising. I think the British eventually conceded the legitimacy of the Irish war, since they negotiated with Michael Collins, who had just had some of their intelligence officers shot in their beds.

I'm not sure this follows: after all, I'm pretty sure the British don't "concede the legitimacy" of the Provisionals' campaign, and yet Martin McGuinness is now the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland...
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

But presumably 9/11 had a big effect, didn't it? I mean, that people actually realized that putting money in a tin for 'the boys', was helping to blow people up? Probably before it had all been a bit abstract.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
quote:

I'm not sure this follows: after all, I'm pretty sure the British don't "concede the legitimacy" of the Provisionals' campaign, and yet Martin McGuinness is now the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland...
Well, the British don't ostensibly concede that the Provos had a point, since that would be political suicide, but pragmatically, they do. But I suppose it was a question of recognizing that there was a constituency behind IRA/Sinn Fein, and that it would be easier to give that constituency something tangible, rather than just crushing them. Of course, cue cries of 'traitor' coming from the incorruptibles on both sides.

I think in 1921 it was also pragmatic. Did the British really want an all-out war throughout Ireland? Incidentally, Collins signed and is supposed to have said, 'this is my death warrant', and it was. Move over Mick, make room for Dick (Mulcahy).

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Perhaps I am simply too cynical.
There are at least two factors at work, ISTM.
One, the cause. Continuing the fight against the Brits until all Ireland is free vs dirty terrorists killing innocents.
The other is the scale. The enormity of the destruction and loss of life in a single incident do set them apart. Even though one could easily make a comparison of the motives for both.
Compare the 9-11 to Boston. Likely very similar ideology involved, there will not be the emotional comparison. Save perhaps for victims in Boston.
Hell, the first attempt at the World Trade Center vs. the last. Not the same.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Also Al-Quaeda is not a national independence movement, and second, it fights very dirty indeed. No doubt, they would argue that the West also fight dirty, probably true, but not as dirty. Well, probably not.

I think the question of nationhood is very powerful - another example is Algeria, which was reckoned by France to be totally French; but the Algerians begged to differ. (Mind you, this was ultra-dirty on both sides, lots of torture).

Curiously, then, AQ is very amorphous.

[ 22. April 2013, 15:58: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
Someone who puts money in a tin is not as responsible as someone who builds or detonates a bomb

The wrong is not the action of putting the money in the tin, it's the intention that there should be bombings and the taking of some action - any action - for the purpose of bringing that intention to fruition.

Someone who thought he was supporting St Patrick's hospital and put the money in the wrong tin by mistake is clearly not guilty.

I'm not a lawyer. My intuition would be that the person who actually pulls the trigger is more guilty than other members of a conspiracy to murder, but not by very much. That Conspiracy is a less-serious but similarly-serious crime.

So I think you're right in what you say, but it doesn't invalidate the original point.

Understand the mentality of IRA supporters in Boston and you'll understand how people can conspire to commit atrocities like the recent bombs in Boston.

As for what was going through the mind of the person who triggered the bombs, I've no idea. Fear ? Hate ? Exhilaration ? The nobility of martyrdom for the cause ?

But unless he's a total psycho, I bet he believes he has the support of and acts for some community who have the mistaken belief that this is an acceptable way to achieve their aims.

Media bias is always to talk up the newness, the mould-breaking nature of what's happening now. But there is understanding to be gained from setting these things in the context of the past.

Yours sadly,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
march over to my computer and brag about it on the ship.

More like 'honestly admit to'. It's an unbidden, unwanted response, but, like recurrent anxiety attacks or an inability to cope with certain sorts of confrontation, it's something you have to work with and through.

No marching* or bragging involved.

*a particularly loaded term in the context of NI.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

More like 'honestly admit to'. It's an unbidden, unwanted response, but, like recurrent anxiety attacks or an inability to cope with certain sorts of confrontation, it's something you have to work with and through.

Sure, but it's a bit much to expect the victims of your vicious thoughts to help you through them, especially when you don't seem to repent of them very much.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Russ wrote:

But unless he's a total psycho, I bet he believes he has the support of and acts for some community who have the mistaken belief that this is an acceptable way to achieve their aims.

Well, it may be mistaken, but when he looks around at the world, he might be forgiven for thinking that this is how a lot of international relations are conducted - at the point of the barrel of a gun. The West is able to say that they try to keep to the rules of war, whereas terrorists often don't. But they still use war to gain territory, oil, minerals, etc.

--------------------

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't taken part in the back-and-forth, Zach82, but I wanted to let you know you and Bostonman aren't alone. Some of the responses have been very unpleasant to read.

There's a reflexive anti-Americanism on the old British left and I think it's been surfacing on this thread.

It's played into the troubles in the Anglican Communion, too.

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Greenleaff
Apprentice
# 16449

- Posted      Profile for Greenleaff   Email Greenleaff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in Boston and have been following your discussion above. I'm struggling to understand how anyone in our community could do something this awful-- there is no answer that could possibly address the depth of the tragedy. Monday was a shock, Friday I felt genuinely unsafe as I watched police cars take over the streets, saw people patrolling outside where I work with machine guns, and wondered how my friends and family were doing at home. It was a truly frightening day and I've never experienced anything like it.

I went to church Sunday-- the message was that what the city went through last week is nothing compared to what people in Baghdad endure, that marginalized people feel unsafe every day, and in that light would we please participate in an event 3 weeks from now to raise money for disaffected youth. During prayers of the people, there were many contributions but no one mentioned the 5 people who died, the families of the victims or suspects, or anything of our fear and loss we felt this week. I was close to tears for the 1st part and couldn't really speak up.... I should have.

I have to admit I found this lack of acknowlegment mystifying and I feel a little numb. Luckily my workplace is holding some events today to help people mark what's happened, and talk about how its affected our community here. I was moved by Obama's speech at the interfaith service last week. I wish my own faith community could do something to just acknowledge the loss and uncertainty. Are we really a community? we seem not to be able to grieve together. Even at work, where politics and religion are off-limits subjects, we are able to talk about how this has affected us and shaped who we are. Churches should be able to do the same thing... paying attention to the gravity of this event is not equivalent to fear-mongering. To me this does bring up questions of evil in the world and how to deal with that, and i'm certainly not bringing that up with coworkers! At least have a little empathy for those of us who feel hurt by this, even if its not as bad as Baghdad.

Last night I spent a long time praying for the victims, the suspects, their families, for healing for everyone, for help... I plan to do the same thing tonight... Seems like the right thing to do.

(Sorry for the rant.)

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greenleaff:

I went to church Sunday-- the message was that what the city went through last week is nothing compared to what people in Baghdad endure, that marginalized people feel unsafe every day, and in that light would we please participate in an event 3 weeks from now to raise money for disaffected youth. During prayers of the people, there were many contributions but no one mentioned the 5 people who died, the families of the victims or suspects, or anything of our fear and loss we felt this week. I was close to tears for the 1st part and couldn't really speak up.... I should have.

I have to admit I found this lack of acknowlegment mystifying and I feel a little numb. Luckily my workplace is holding some events today to help people mark what's happened, and talk about how its affected our community here. I was moved by Obama's speech at the interfaith service last week. I wish my own faith community could do something to just acknowledge the loss and uncertainty. Are we really a community? we seem not to be able to grieve together. Even at work, where politics and religion are off-limits subjects, we are able to talk about how this has affected us and shaped who we are. Churches should be able to do the same thing... paying attention to the gravity of this event is not equivalent to fear-mongering. To me this does bring up questions of evil in the world and how to deal with that, and i'm certainly not bringing that up with coworkers! At least have a little empathy for those of us who feel hurt by this, even if its not as bad as Baghdad.

Last night I spent a long time praying for the victims, the suspects, their families, for healing for everyone, for help... I plan to do the same thing tonight... Seems like the right thing to do.

(Sorry for the rant.)

I don't want to speak ill of another clergyperson, especially under the circumstances. It's a hard place to be, hard to know where/how to respond to the deep, raw pain. That being said, I will say it seems like a tone-deaf response, and a missed opportunity. This might be a time even for setting aside any prepared sermon/remarks and simply praying together, as you have done.

The bit of perspective he/she offered may be spot on-- but out of place in the context.

Hopefully it was simply the fumbling misstep of someone grappling to know/how to respond to the inexplicable, and more thoughtful responses will come. I am glad you were able to find comfort at your workplace.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It was a truly frightening day and I've never experienced anything like it.

[Votive] for you and yours.

I lived in Birmingham during the time of the pub bombings. I was due to go to the Tavern in the Town that night with my boyfriend - by sheer co-incidence I finished with him that lunch time, we didn't go.

The shock of 'It could have been me' took a long time to subside. We had bomb scares at school at least twice a week in those days (hoaxes, obviously - but concerning nonetheless)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm struggling to understand how anyone in our community could do something this awful-- there is no answer that could possibly address the depth of the tragedy.

I am sorry for what you went through, and the victims. But I also don't understand this level of naivety.

Have you never thought about how murder, rape, arson, gang crime happen in all our communities ? The banality of evil is a cliché but it is true. Most people who are murdered, are murdered by people they know. Most people who are sexually abused, are sexually abused by people they know. Those whom we most love are most able to hurt us, on any scale. And you have to care, in order to hate. That usually means contact, on some level. Whether people in your own country, or your country is currently in somebody else's country.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do imagine it's quite hard for many Bostonians. I saw how affected many people were by 9-11. My thoughts for all of you.

But that's the thing. People seemed to feel they'd lost their innocence or their feeling of safety, which is partially what I'm hearing from Greenleaff. I had attributed it to our western illusion of safety. But from what I'm hearing, Brits don't seem to have the same shock that violence happens. Is this because of things like the troubles or did the London subway bombing a few years ago create the same level of people feeling their whole life had changed. I kept hearing that in 2001, and I had already seen enough crap that I didn't get it then and don't really get it now.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And you have to care, in order to hate. That usually means contact, on some level.

Hmm. How does this apply to people in, say, Egypt or Syria or Pakistan, who hate Americans with a red-hot passion? There is no contact.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I do imagine it's quite hard for many Bostonians. I saw how affected many people were by 9-11. My thoughts for all of you.

But that's the thing. People seemed to feel they'd lost their innocence or their feeling of safety, which is partially what I'm hearing from Greenleaff. I had attributed it to our western illusion of safety. But from what I'm hearing, Brits don't seem to have the same shock that violence happens. Is this because of things like the troubles or did the London subway bombing a few years ago create the same level of people feeling their whole life had changed. I kept hearing that in 2001, and I had already seen enough crap that I didn't get it then and don't really get it now.

I would say that a lot of Brits just got used to it. After all, 4000 people died in the Troubles, week by week over 20 years or so. OK, most of them were in Ireland, but I heard the Oxford St Wimpy bar bomb go off. And my local launderette was blown up, the police said by Iranians. The owner was blown out of the shop, and lay in the road where I live, dying.

I think 7/7 was quite a shock, but people quickly started taking the tube again, and so on.

--------------------

Greenleaff
Apprentice
# 16449

- Posted      Profile for Greenleaff   Email Greenleaff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the kind responses so far. I can understand why some might find this reaction naive or dramatic. I will probably have a more detached way of talking about it in a couple of weeks, but this happened just 3 days ago. If you sail straight past the shock and pain and immediately start talking about ever-present violence in the community, or point out that these 5 deaths are nothing compared to the people who are murdered every day under more boring circumstances, you are technically correct but missing the point about how people feel. Tell me all that in 3 weeks and I won't argue, but for right now it seems callous. I didn't miss any work for this and my life is not drastically altered, but it's important to me to acknowledge these events as painful and once I've done that move ahead. There should be some space for grief.

[ 22. April 2013, 19:17: Message edited by: Greenleaff ]

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lived in London during the 90s, on the edge of the city in a hospital, and heard 5 bombs go off and remember the constant alerts in hospital, the tube closures and the army presence in the City.
My church was the 12th century St Helen's Bishopsgate which was badly damaged in 2 IRA bombs, the Baltic Exchange one and the Bishopsgate one (I started at the 'church' a year later but didn't set foot in the building for several years because of the repairs). The rector of the church was lucky to have decided to read on his bed on the night of the Baltic Exchange bomb as he probably would have died if he had been in his study when the bomb went off. Much of the old medieval church was destroyed. Friends who were part of the congregation at the time were shocked and stunned by the event. They temporarily moved to share another church but this was damaged by the second bomb.

[Votive] to those in Boston and others affected by this terrible tragedy. It is hard to know how to respond when something like this affects your community, it shakes our sense of security.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Grammatica wrote:

quote:
There's a reflexive anti-Americanism on the old British left and I think it's been surfacing on this thread.

One thing I've always found somewhat odd(and I'm not specifically thinking about anyone on this thread) is when left-wing British people bring up US support for the IRA as an example of American interference in other countries.

I mean, if I were a left-wing(and hence supposedly anti-imperialist) Brit, I would try to come up with an example other than one that reminds everybody that my own country was once a major imperial power, vehemently disliked among some of its subject peoples.

Granted, the intermingling strands of nationalism and leftism can sometimes be hard to untangle, and it's likely that many of the Brits who rail on and on against the "rich Irishmen in Boston" are more the former than the latter. Still, p.r. lesson for the day: if you're a Brit looking for sympathy as a downtrodden victim of the bullying yanks, DON'T bring up Ireland!

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for what was going through the mind of the person who triggered the bombs, I've no idea. Fear ? Hate ? Exhilaration ? The nobility of martyrdom for the cause ?

Yours sadly,

Russ

First, I doubt "acceptability" enters into these calculations at all.

Second, no amount of murder or mayhem can, even in the distorted thinking required to produce mass attacks, be expected to accomplish any aim at all when the perpetrators can't even be arsed to claim responsibility and state what their aims are.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Russ: As for what was going through the mind of the person who triggered the bombs, I've no idea. Fear ? Hate ? Exhilaration ? The nobility of martyrdom for the cause ?
I don't think that martyrdom entered the equation. They didn't plan to be killed by the bombs, nor to be caught.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
And you have to care, in order to hate. That usually means contact, on some level.

Hmm. How does this apply to people in, say, Egypt or Syria or Pakistan, who hate Americans with a red-hot passion? There is no contact.
America supported fairly nasty regimes in those communities for a long time, and drone attacks still kill in those areas. But I accept my argument is weaker there.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

And now to bash the yanks for a bit...

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Well, at least one American supporter of the IRA, Rep. Peter King, suddenly came to the epiphany, post-911, that the IRA were indeed a nasty bunch of guys.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Grammatica wrote:

quote:

One thing I've always found somewhat odd(and I'm not specifically thinking about anyone on this thread) is when left-wing British people bring up US support for the IRA as an example of American interference in other countries.

I mean, if I were a left-wing(and hence supposedly anti-imperialist) Brit, I would try to come up with an example other than one that reminds everybody that my own country was once a major imperial power, vehemently disliked among some of its subject peoples.

Granted, the intermingling strands of nationalism and leftism can sometimes be hard to untangle, and it's likely that many of the Brits who rail on and on against the "rich Irishmen in Boston" are more the former than the latter. Still, p.r. lesson for the day: if you're a Brit looking for sympathy as a downtrodden victim of the bullying yanks, DON'T bring up Ireland!

I find that argument peculiar. I would think most left-wing people in the UK would bring up Ireland, not because of the US, but because it was a colony in our backyard, and one where a classic war of independence went on.

Thus, the left don't ignore the imperial history, far from it. Its historical aftermath still of course goes on, see for example the recent court cases by Kenyan guerrilla fighters, who were tortured in British camps.

Of course, we may well also critique the US imperium, and those British politicians who snuggle up to it!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:

I would say that a lot of Brits just got used to it. After all, 4000 people died in the Troubles, week by week over 20 years or so. OK, most of them were in Ireland, but I heard the Oxford St Wimpy bar bomb go off. And my local launderette was blown up, the police said by Iranians. The owner was blown out of the shop, and lay in the road where I live, dying.

I think 7/7 was quite a shock, but people quickly started taking the tube again, and so on.

I would agree with this, it is habituation to a certain extent. But I don't think it is just about the IRA bombing campaign.

Who grew up feeling safe in the public sphere ? Really ?

I remember when I was 7/8/9/10 watching the evening news. Every few weeks a child would go missing, every few weeks they would turn up dead. I vividly remember being surprised, when a week later one of these missing children turned up alive because that was not in the order of things.

I remember the Tottenham riots on the news just a few miles from where I lived. I remember some teacher reading us eyewitness accounts of the Hiroshima bombing in assembly, I was maybe 8. I remember her talking about women walking into the river with dead children with the skin hanging off their bodies to drown themselves.

All my life I have been warned about stranger danger, all my life I have been warned about unattended baggage.

I remember chernobyl, I remember the massive posters on the tube saying Don't Die of Ignorance at the beginning of the Aids epidemic.

When was this time when we were innocent, when we could leave our doors open, when you could play safely in the street.

It was not in my life time and I am 37 now.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
quote:
Grammatica wrote:

quote:

I find that argument peculiar. I would think most left-wing people in the UK would bring up Ireland, not because of the US, but because it was a colony in our backyard, and one where a classic war of independence went on.

Thus, the left don't ignore the imperial history, far from it. Its historical aftermath still of course goes on, see for example the recent court cases by Kenyan guerrilla fighters, who were tortured in British camps.

Of course, we may well also critique the US imperium, and those British politicians who snuggle up to it!

You may very well be correct. Like I say, it's possible that the British people I've heard that from were more nationalistic than left-wing, or at most, leftish in a very unsystematic way, and possibly more just anti-American than anything else.

And you're right, I certainly would not accuse the legitimate left in England of ignoring their own country's colonial history.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would agree with this, it is habituation to a certain extent. But I don't think it is just about the IRA bombing campaign.

Who grew up feeling safe in the public sphere ? Really?

I'm with you and yet a significant number of Americans truly seem to have felt that way.* I'm beginning to wonder if it's another example of a certain kind of blinders I've seen on some of my countrymen. One of my favorite comments I heard said repeatedly after 911 was "The rest of the world really hates us!" "I knew some people didn't like us, but I didn't know how much!" etc. Really you didn't? Ever read the news much?

*Greenleaff and anyone else similarly shocked, this is NOT a comment about you or people in your position. I am thinking of people a year later who have presumably gotten over the first shock.

[ 22. April 2013, 20:40: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Now that we've caught this sick boy, we've got to love him.

Wipe his feet clean with our tears and hair. Reconcile him to those he's grieved. As we grieved him.

Very wise words, Martin. When we demonize, we don't even try to understand. We feel that we have excused ourselves from trying. We're probably afraid to try, lest we learn that we're more like him ourselves than makes us comfortable. But if we don't understand, then we can't prevent things like this from happening again.

On NPR this afternoon: What drives some young Muslim men to violence This is a very worthwhile twelve-minute interview with someone experienced in counseling troubled Muslim youths. Left unhelped, they go through several stages: loneliness, alienation, and aimlessness (they "don't have their life in order") --> anger --> a feeling that something must be done. By the time internal pressure reaches this point, they become especially vulnerable to external pressure. Enlightened and benevolent American mosques sincerely try to head off these problems, but can we expect them to succeed any more often the church prevents its young people, especially those not very active, from going astray?

After worrying a little that I were callous or lacking compassion in not being as obsessed with this drama all week as many others, hearing Dr. Gottlieb (12-1 today on WHYY) was reassuring. The repetitive 24-7 television coverage (which of course totally went past me) is not psychologically helpful. That so many people drink it up is pathological, or at least immature and touchingly naive. Good Lord deliver us from more events of the kind, but they might be what it takes to provide a little perspective. Israelis have learned this.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Sure, but it's a bit much to expect the victims of your vicious thoughts to help you through them, especially when you don't seem to repent of them very much.
My, but you must go through a lot of straw.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks for the kind responses so far. I can understand why some might find this reaction naive or dramatic. I will probably have a more detached way of talking about it in a couple of weeks, but this happened just 3 days ago. If you sail straight past the shock and pain and immediately start talking about ever-present violence in the community, or point out that these 5 deaths are nothing compared to the people who are murdered every day under more boring circumstances, you are technically correct but missing the point about how people feel. Tell me all that in 3 weeks and I won't argue, but for right now it seems callous. I didn't miss any work for this and my life is not drastically altered, but it's important to me to acknowledge these events as painful and once I've done that move ahead. There should be some space for grief.

I'd like to acknowledge your grief, Greenleaf, and if I may, I'd like to share it.

I am a long way from Boston, but several people in my part of Florida had gone up to run the Marathon. Most were lucky enough to escape harm. However, the brother-in-law of the college pastor at Stetson University had the bad luck to be crossing the finish line at the wrong time. He will lose his leg. The other members of that family were also injured, though not as badly.

I'm sorry, but the Sunday service you heard sounds as though it had been written by one of Job's Comforters -- the message being that people who suffer deserve it somehow. Or if not that, they suffer less than others and should just keep quiet. It sounds like a message designed to distance the pastor from the suffering of others who are in his presence.

We are told to grieve with mourners and comfort the afflicted. That is what we should do.

Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016