homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Perpetual virginity and vaginal birth (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Perpetual virginity and vaginal birth
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because something is popularly believed doesn't mean it's true. That poem is drawn from a sermon delivered by Henry Scott Holland, an Anglican scholar.

"While at St Paul’s Cathedral Holland delivered a sermon in May 1910 following the death of King Edward VII, titled 'Death the King of Terrors,' in which he explores the natural but seemingly contradictory responses to death: the fear of the unexplained and the belief in continuity...
The frequent use of this passage has provoked some criticism that it fails to accurately reflect either Holland's theology as a whole, or the focus of the sermon in particular."*

If you'd like an answer to the question "Why should a man of such stature write such sentimental nonsense?", you might read this.

*Wikipedia article about Henry Scott Holland

[ 06. May 2013, 19:44: Message edited by: loggats ]

--------------------
"He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loggats, I've heard views of Heaven from Catholics that line up with what Mudfrog said - and I've heard plenty of theologically-dodgy views of Heaven from Protestants too. Considering the relative vagueness of Scripture on the subject of Heaven, it's not really surprising (not that I am sola scriptura).

Speaking personally, as I've climbed up the candle, I am really valuing the saints (including the BVM) as role models and spiritual cheerleaders. Some, such as St Joan of Arc, have drawn me to them since childhood. But I find myself unable to pray for them to intercede for me, for the reasons Mudfrog has said. So they may well intercede for me and I just don't know it, but I just can't ask for it myself. The Protestant head overtakes the Catholic heart in this instance.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully everyone with dodgy ideas about heaven (perhaps myself included?) will one day experience the real thing. That's what I hope for all of us.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps, Jade Constable, this is where EE's 'experience' thing comes in. If you had an 'experience' of Joan of Arc, would that make you more susceptible to invoking her aid?

I once met a very 'super-spiritual' but well meaning charismatic evangelical who claimed to have felt very 'close' to John Wesley when praying in one of his original chapel or meeting-houses - either in Bristol or London, I forget which ... or at least to have 'felt' some kind of residual 'power' there.

I don't think it's over-stepping the mark to suggest that we can sense 'where prayer has been valid' as Eliot puts it ... but generally, I'd say it was the associations we bring with this that gives us the buzz or otherwise.

I remember visiting an impressive ruined abbey in Yorkshire in my more full-on Protestant days - I won't say which one - and being outraged at what I took to me its superstition and malpractice. I returned there many times later and found it quite uplifting 'spiritually' as well as aesthetically and historically etc.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, but I'm sure one can become habituated to invoking Mary and the Saints - I suppose I have to some extent as I tend to use some Orthodox material and sometimes RC material in my personal devotions. It took a few deep gulps and sharp intakes of breath ... but it can be done.

Whether you then expect any 'experience' or a dropping from the head to the heart to take place is another thing entirely, I suppose.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the wikipedia article too but who reads his sermons or his theology? They just pick up on the poem. That's why he should have known better - all preachers should be careful about what might be quoted in or out of context.

Anyway, the popularity of that poem does show the vast acceptance of its harmful 'theology'.

As as far as Heaven is concerned, eternal life and being with Christ for eternity is not a 'hope so', it's a 'by grace guarantee' for those who have faith in Christ.

[ 06. May 2013, 19:58: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I read the wikipedia article too but who reads his sermons or his theology? They just pick up on the poem. That's why he should have known better - all preachers should be careful about what might be quoted in or out of context.

Anyway, the popularity of that poem does show the vast acceptance of its harmful 'theology'.

As as far as Heaven is concerned, eternal life and being with Christ for eternity is not a 'hope so', it's a 'by grace guarantee' for those who have faith in Christ.

I'm afraid it's people who don't explore things that end up getting the wrong end of the stick. If you don't feel any curiosity to find out who wrote a poem, sermon, book and why, that's a problem.

And I don't really agree with the rest of what you said but this isn't the thread for it (though it might as well be considering how we've danced around from subject to subject). Faith and hope pass away in the end (but certainly not here and now) and ultimately there's only love.

[ 06. May 2013, 20:03: Message edited by: loggats ]

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
... @Enoch - yes, that's my understanding too, no table-knocking or anything. Hagiographies do have appearances by Saints or the Blessed Virgin and so on - but I'm not sure these are meant to be normative. ...

Is there a difference between someone appearing unasked - as J.B.and Phillips is said to have appeared to C.S. Lewis - and approaching a saint and saying 'is there anybody there?'

On the more general subject, the problem with telling each other what heaven is really like, whose views are correct and incorrect, is that none of us have actually been there and come back.

I suspect, something not totally dissimilar is true of the original question in the OP. Citing 'tradition' on its own tends to be a fall back for 'we don't know, but this is what we'd like to be the case'.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If nothing else worthwhile has been said on this thread, at least Mudfrog's opinion on that poem is sensible. Whatever his reasons for writing it were, it has no place in a Christian funeral service.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by loggats:
quote:

I'm afraid it's people who don't explore things that end up getting the wrong end of the stick. If you don't feel any curiosity to find out who wrote a poem, sermon, book and why, that's a problem.
Context.

This 'poem' is usually read to uninformed people at funerals by clergymen alongside scripture. What are they supposed to do do, critically analyse it?

Of course not, they take it at face value and accept it along with everything else they are told (if they want to, that is).

When my Stepfather died I heard my sister tell me that she felt him with her and that she was sure he was around watching over her.

Popular belief has reduced the departed into some kind of guardian 'pet' that we keep near at hand so we don't need to feel upset.

The idea that 'the saints' are with us, hanging on every word so they can go and whisper our latest prayer request into God's shell-like, is exactly the same thing - except we never knew them. How pretentious of us to think that St Fred who lived in Egypt in the fifth century would be bothered about the fact that I'd lost my watch in Twenty First Century Newcastle and would he help me to find it or go into the Big Room and ask God to give me a nudge in the right direction!

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

I wonder. For those of you who don't acknowledge the perpetual virginity of Mary - what would in fact change your minds? If it were printed in black and white somewhere in your bibles? Is that pretty much the only criterion.

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
quote:
quote:

Context.

This 'poem' is usually read to uninformed people at funerals by clergymen alongside scripture. What are they supposed to do do, critically analyse it?

Of course not, they take it at face value and accept it along with everything else they are told (if they want to, that is).

When my Stepfather died I heard my sister tell me that she felt him with her and that she was sure he was around watching over her.

Popular belief has reduced the departed into some kind of guardian 'pet' that we keep near at hand so we don't need to feel upset.

The idea that 'the saints' are with us, hanging on every word so they can go and whisper our latest prayer request into God's shell-like, is exactly the same thing - except we never knew them. How pretentious of us to think that St Fred who lived in Egypt in the fifth century would be bothered about the fact that I'd lost my watch in Twenty First Century Newcastle and would he help me to find it or go into the Big Room and ask God to give me a nudge in the right direction!

I've never said it is a suitable poem (let alone for a funeral service). I've never heard it used at Catholic functions and it's the sort of sentimental rot that a certain kind of person might find comforting.

Some people treat saints like witchy 'familiars' or helping spirits - some people use Scripture for bibliomancy - other people go to huge arenas for a "Christian" service that's got more to do with a Vegas sideshow than anything else.

Just because people do something doesn't mean it's justified.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'YOUR' bibles?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
'YOUR' bibles?

KJV, surely.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wonder. For those of you who don't acknowledge the perpetual virginity of Mary - what would in fact change your minds? If it were printed in black and white somewhere in your bibles? Is that pretty much the only criterion.

No, there are plenty of truths not explicitly contained in the Bible. It's just that for this Shipmate at least, the arguments put forward on this thread are unconvincing. They also seem to be a rather laborious way of solving a 'problem' which doesn't exist.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not printed in black and white in the Apocrypha either! But yes, I would need it to be in Scripture - and myself and plenty of other fellow-Anglicans accept the Apocrypha and have pew Bibles which include it (NRSV), so it being in the Apocrypha would be good enough for me. Personally the perpetual virginity is not a big deal to me either way, I just don't see a purpose to it.

Re saints being treated as 'helper spirits', if that is not appropriate in Catholicism why have patron saints at all? Asking for St Anthony's help in finding the car keys is not exactly discouraged.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan:
quote:

No, there are plenty of truths not explicitly contained in the Bible. It's just that for this Shipmate at least, the arguments put forward on this thread are unconvincing. They also seem to be a rather laborious way of solving a 'problem' which doesn't exist.
I would agree with this. Mary not remaining a virgin doesn't harm my salvation or that of others.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jade Constable: I would agree with this. Mary not remaining a virgin doesn't harm my salvation or that of others.
This would indeed be weird. Just imagine that the married couple Joseph and Mary are thinking about having sex. (I'm sorry, I can only describe this plastically.) He starts to insert his member, until he can feel her hymen. One millimeter more, and billions of souls will burn in Hell [Ultra confused]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

100% true.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Probably, but since I rate the question akin to whether Mary had curly or straight hair, I genuinely don't care what the answer is.

I appreciate that it's hugely important to some people. But not to me.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Jade Constable: I would agree with this. Mary not remaining a virgin doesn't harm my salvation or that of others.
This would indeed be weird. Just imagine that the married couple Joseph and Mary are thinking about having sex. (I'm sorry, I can only describe this plastically.) He starts to insert his member, until he can feel her hymen. One millimeter more, and billions of souls will burn in Hell [Ultra confused]
Hymens aren't on the inside of the vagina...

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was really only starting.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

LeRoc, tell me again how a perfect God learns from His creatures?

Anything to stop you fumbling around, talking bout ladies privates.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Host Hat On

loggats

We've given some further consideration to your previous post and your reference to Rev 3:16 in connection with Gamaliel. Although thinly disguised as a comment on his posts, that reference has been judged by Hosts and Admin as a personal attack and was in violation of Commandment 3.

Watch your step.

Gamaliel

The provocation is recognised, and a Hell call in response would hardly have been surprising. But please leave the assessment of such posts to Hosts and Admin and, for the future, please avoid retaliation in Purgatory.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

Host Hat Off

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Host Hat On

loggats

We've given some further consideration to your previous post and your reference to Rev 3:16 in connection with Gamaliel. Although thinly disguised as a comment on his posts, that reference has been judged by Hosts and Admin as a personal attack and was in violation of Commandment 3.

Watch your step.

Gamaliel

The provocation is recognised, and a Hell call in response would hardly have been surprising. But please leave the assessment of such posts to Hosts and Admin and, for the future, please avoid retaliation in Purgatory.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

Host Hat Off

We (Gamaliel and I) talked about it privately. I resent the implication it was anything but a reaction to his posts. I guess this mightn't be the place for me. Thanks anyway.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking about ladies privates on a thread called "perpetual virginity and vaginal birth" seems inevitable. I don't see why the person who started the thread would criticise talking about ladies privates!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flounce?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
loggats

You can query Hostly rulings in the Styx. That's one of the reasons it's there. Feel free to start a thread there if you think the ruling was unfair.

But you can't query them on the Board where they were made. Continuation of the argument here is a Commandment 6 violation. So stop doing that now.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Flounce?

If so, is there a special term for cross-posting with a flounce?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
loggats: I wonder. For those of you who don't acknowledge the perpetual virginity of Mary - what would in fact change your minds? If it were printed in black and white somewhere in your bibles? Is that pretty much the only criterion.
I doubt that this would change much for me. I mostly try to read the Bible in the sense of: what can it tell me about how to live my life as a Christian today? The few sentences about Mary don't teach me a whole lot about sexuality. They do teach me about a simple girl who showed courage when she was presented with something great though.

quote:
loggats: LeRoc, tell me again how a perfect God learns from His creatures?
By becoming one of them.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Flounce?

It is now.

For two weeks.

Carry on around him, y'all.

K.A. Admin.

[ 07. May 2013, 01:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Did Aquinas reject it? Where?

He did not reject it, and the Baltimore Catechism (while good for catechizing children and people new to the faith) is hardly definitive anyway.

"Even though Aquinas did not claim that Mary was sanctified from the moment of her conception, he did claim that she was sanctified before her birth, and so never committed personal sin."

Why did she need a Saviour then?
Because there's more to salvation than mere forgiveness of sin.

quote:
Last time I looked, Mudfrog, the RCs weren't bypassing the Son and the Holy Spirit ...

Come to our services, and I can guarantee you we address more and longer prayers directly to God than does the Sally Army, even considered per unit time. The idea that we are afraid to pray directly to God is either contumely or pig-ignorance.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
[Come to our services, and I can guarantee you we address more and longer prayers directly to God than does the Sally Army, even considered per unit time. The idea that we are afraid to pray directly to God is either contumely or pig-ignorance.

I'm sorry? We're down to 'my prayers are bigger than your prayers' are we now?

Matthew 6 v 7

It's never quantity. 35 Hail Marys is, in my book, 35 vain repetitions addressed to the wrong person.

The simple faith is that we go to God in prayer in the name of Jesus, assisted by the Holy Spirit. We are promised in them both perfect Mediator and an Intercessor. To go to any other intermediary is, IMHO, unnecessary and dishonouring to God.

Sorry.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

I know it's 'only' Wikipedia, but I looked up Pepertual Virginity to get the history of the doctrine. I was amazed at what I read:

quote:
There was no full consensus on the doctrine of perpetual virginity within the early Church by the end of the second century, e.g. Tertullian (c.160 – c.225) did not teach the doctrine (although he taught virgin birth), but Irenaeus (c.130 – c.202) taught perpetual virginity, along with other Marian themes. However, wider support for the doctrine began to appear within the next century.
Origen (185-254) was emphatic on the issue of the brothers of Jesus, and stated that he believed them to have been the children of Joseph from a previous marriage.
Helvidius appealed to the authority of Tertullian against the doctrine of Mary's perpetual virginity, to which Jerome (c.340-419) replied, of Tertullian, that he was "not a man of the church."
By the 4th century, the doctrine of perpetual virginity had been well attested. For example, references can be found in the 3rd century writings of Hippolytus of Rome, who called Mary "the tabernacle exempt from defilement and corruption," and the 4th century works of Athanasius, Epiphanius, Hilary, Didymus, Ambrose, Jerome, and Siricius continued the attestations to perpetual virginity – a trend that gathered pace in the next century.

And there you have it!
no longer being a virgin is seen as being defiled and corrupt! This is the RC Church's obsession (and secret pleasure) with sex and immorality. Mary MUST be a perpetual virgin because sex with Joseph would have made her icky and disgusting. Oh, that means all priests must be virgins too (don't make me laugh) otherwise they'll be defiled and corrupt. What is it with the Church? Why this view that sex is for dirty people? If ever I wanted to have a full-of-grace-Mother figure in the Church to express my devotion to, you can be sure I would rather have a woman who was not a plaster saint but who lived her married life the same as the rest of married women, honouring the marriage bed as well.

Sex in a loving marriage does NOT defile or corrupt. It sanctifies andand it expresses the intimacy of Christ and his church. How much better would it have been if Mary and Joseph had been made the exemplars of faithful, committed, intimate sexual relationship within marriage.

The church would have been a much better place, priests would have had the joy of being married and a lot of altar boys would not have received unwanted attention from the hands and other body parts of frustrated ordained 'virgins'!

THAT'S why the doctrine of perpetual virginity is harmful and should be rejected. It implies there having no sex is more godly than engaging in it - because that's evil!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Mudfrog

Here is a link to some parts of the Catechism

Note in particular this entry.

quote:

2362 “The acts in marriage by which the intimate and chaste union of the spouses takes place are noble and honorable; the truly human performance of these acts fosters the self-giving they signify and enriches the spouses in joy and gratitude” (Gaudium et Spes 49 § 2). Sexuality is a source of joy and pleasure:

The Creator himself . . . established that in the [generative] function, spouses should experience pleasure and enjoyment of body and spirit. Therefore, the spouses do nothing evil in seeking this pleasure and enjoyment. They accept what the Creator has intended for them. At the same time, spouses should know how to keep themselves within the limits of just moderation (Pius XII, Discourse, October 29, 1951).

There are various other portions of that section of the Catechism I do not agree with, but this one strikes me as pretty much "on the money".

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Mudfrog

quote:

2362 “The acts in marriage by which the intimate and chaste union of the spouses takes place are noble and honorable; the truly human performance of these acts fosters the self-giving they signify and enriches the spouses in joy and gratitude” (Gaudium et Spes 49 § 2). Sexuality is a source of joy and pleasure:

The Creator himself . . . established that in the [generative] function, spouses should experience pleasure and enjoyment of body and spirit. Therefore, the spouses do nothing evil in seeking this pleasure and enjoyment. They accept what the Creator has intended for them. At the same time, spouses should know how to keep themselves within the limits of just moderation (Pius XII, Discourse, October 29, 1951).

There are various other portions of that section of the Catechism I do not agree with, but this one strikes me as pretty much "on the money".
And that is exactly right and how it should be! I wish the church would tell the world that it likes sex though and that it's a good thing.

Too often the world believes the church hates sex and the dctrine of perpetual virginity is part of that 'we hate sex' message that is often heard.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Mudfrog

quote:

And that is exactly right and how it should be! I wish the church would tell the world that it likes sex though and that it's a good thing.

Too often the world believes the church hates sex and the dctrine of perpetual virginity is part of that 'we hate sex' message that is often heard.

Didn't Jesus Christ teach us to carry our crosses and follow him? Why is it out of the imagination that Mary, in light of her vocation, felt that the will of God required her to refrain from sexual activity? This is akin to someone taking a vow of poverty. This doesn't mean that we all are called either to celibacy or to poverty. Everyone of us is called to serve the will of God in their own individual way.

Not everyone engages in sexual activity. It is not the be all and end all of life.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Yes, but defiled and corrupt if you have sex? And that's she's ever virgin?

Anyway, she was married to Joseph. A vow of celibacy seems a little extreme and rather perverse in the context of married life.

Is he 'ever virgin' too? Poor bloke.

As I said, a happy, healthy and faithful marriage relationship where Mary and Joseph's bed is honoured, would have been a greater witness and a much healthier message for the church to hold out to the world than 'no sex please we're 'undefiled' Christians!'

[ 07. May 2013, 08:31: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabus62, thank you for the (as always) balance and wisdom of this reply, which in this quotation for the Catechism shows a very important part of the Roman Catholic attitude to sex.

(Like Gamaliel, I want to be Barnabus62 when I grow up. Though actually so many of Gamaliel's posts (and those of many other Shipmates too of course) seem wise to me as well; but then I am also a sitter-on-the-fence and one who always wants to consider all sides of a question.
Interestingly, I've always been rather haunted and worried myself by Rev 3:16, of being seen by God as wishy-washy and lukewarm and worthy only of being spat out. It certainly wasn't right of loggats to quote this terrifying verse at Gamaliel thus.
However, I'm sorry if loggats has gone away for two weeks (is that what Kelly Alves's Admin post means?) as s/he started a thread here which has led to much interesting discussion.)

Thing is, Mudfrog is right too, in showing the origins of this perpetual virginity doctrine and how it became particularly emphasised in the 4th and 5th centuries.

From my (admittedly amateur) reading in early Christianity, it seems to me that there was at that time a sort of "fashion" to see virginity in both men and women as a state not just better than, but infinitely surpassing, marriage. Far far more holy. As has been mentioned, maybe virginity also allowed women a more independent life, given the way marriage often was. Anyway, it's well-known that hundreds of stories of saints show this attitude, and it led to a strand within Christianity that remained even up to the present day, or almost. (At my convent school, for example, we were told the dreadful story of little Maria Goretti who died protecting her virginity from a rapist...ghastly stuff). Obviously it is or has been all-pervasive.

And yet.

Things are never just black and white. Concomitantly, right along with this, there is another strand--the respect for sexuality as a gift of God; as shown in the bit from the Catechism Barnabus quoted.

I don't know the historical evolution of this respect, but it was certainly inculcated in me as a young Catholic girl that sex (within a loving marriage) was a beautiful thing.
A gift of God, a celebration of love and of the bond between the couple. And just because of its beauty, gravity, and importance, it shouldn't be interfered with by unaesthetic bits of rubber etc....because it is beautiful when done in natural freedom, and it should be open to the gift of life, if that is in God's plan.

(I love this ideal view of sexuality, and only wish it could be enjoyed that way without either having ten children or practising the difficult "rhythm method" which in itself can cause much marital stress...but that's another thread).

So that's the thing, it seems to be that there have been these two strands within the church, one pro-virginity, and one pro-[marital] sex; and they have often become twisted up and confused and tangled together. A mixed message.

Re Mary, the adulation of virginity, and the idea that the bearer of Jesus must have been of the most elevated type of womanhood, have resulted in this perpetual virginity doctrine. This means we can relate to Mary as a woman and a mother, but not as a fully married woman with all that this implies.

I (now a sort of wishy-washy Anglican) would prefer to see Mary as definitely a virgin when Jesus was miraculously conceived within her, yet one who gave birth completely normally, and why not, I've never thought otherwise or seen any church doctrine implying otherwise. But then as a fully married woman with Joseph.
This way all woman can relate to her--virgins by choice or by chance, even pregnant unmarried girls in disgrace (as she almost was until the angel told Joseph to stand by her), celibates, married women, widows--well, perhaps childless women might not relate so much. But anyway, perhaps more important than "relating" to her is that, in this view, the message is more balanced: marriage, if it is what you are called to, is just as holy as virginity.

Luckily in the Anglican church I can believe this about Mary.

The part loggats (I think?) quoted upthread from the Baltimore Catechism (I think?), saying that if there is just one doctrine of the (Catholic) church you don't believe, you cannot consider yourself Catholic, illustrates exactly why I came to feel I could no longer stay in the church.

BUT, as has been said (Laurelin? sorry, memory fails) there is sometimes a throwing of the baby out with the bathwater, and we sometimes forget the richness and importance of the pre-Reformation Christian heritage.

However, I think in our day we are seeing more and more appreciation of the good things in various strands of Christian tradition.

--------------------
Pondering.

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Mudfrog - whilst, like you, I do not believe that priests 'have' to be celibate, I would point out that it is not virginity per se that causes a celibate priest to become a child molestor. Married people can be sexually abusive towards children, too.

quote:
Originally posted by Cara:
I (now a sort of wishy-washy Anglican) would prefer to see Mary as definitely a virgin when Jesus was miraculously conceived within her, yet one who gave birth completely normally, and why not, I've never thought otherwise or seen any church doctrine implying otherwise. But then as a fully married woman with Joseph.

I accept that Mary was a virgin when she conceived Jesus because it is revealed in Scripture and because the Church has believed and proclaiimed this for 2,000 years. I do not believe she necessarily remained a virgin after Jesus was born - neither do I see anything wishy-washy in that particular theological stance. Rather the reverse: I rejoice in the normal marriage, with normal sexual relations, that Mary and Joseph (no doubt) enjoyed.

quote:
... But anyway, perhaps more important than "relating" to her is that, in this view, the message is more balanced: marriage, if it is what you are called to, is just as holy as virginity.
Absolutely. One hundred percent.

quote:
BUT, as has been said (Laurelin? sorry, memory fails) there is sometimes a throwing of the baby out with the bathwater, and we sometimes forget the richness and importance of the pre-Reformation Christian heritage.
Yep, that was me. [Smile] I am very glad to be an evangelical but I do sometimes wonder what my fellow evangelicals think the Holy Spirit was doing in the 1,500 years before the Reformation ...! [Help]

quote:
However, I think in our day we are seeing more and more appreciation of the good things in various strands of Christian tradition.
I think so too. Great post, Cara. [Smile]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE] This 'poem' is usually read to uninformed people at funerals by clergymen alongside scripture. What are they supposed to do do, critically analyse it?

We're in the age of the sound bite -- so people conciously or unconciously take things at face value. That's why they've listened to all sorts of plausible people like politicians and insurance salesmen!

Is it true that, for most people, they'd hear this (awful) piece of writing by henry S-H and pick the bits they want or like or whcih comfort them? At the same time they'd dismiss the bits that don't?

Death as nothing at all? Please don't delude yourself it's the biggest deal you'll ever be part of.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Laurelin.

Oops, Barnabas62, it's BAS not BUS.

I knew it looked wrong somehow. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Pondering.

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
@ Mudfrog - whilst, like you, I do not believe that priests 'have' to be celibate, I would point out that it is not virginity per se that causes a celibate priest to become a child molestor. Married people can be sexually abusive towards children, too.

quote:
Originally posted by Cara:

I accept that Mary was a virgin when she conceived Jesus because it is revealed in Scripture and because the Church has believed and proclaiimed this for 2,000 years. I do not believe she necessarily remained a virgin after Jesus was born - neither do I see anything wishy-washy in that particular theological stance. Rather the reverse: I rejoice in the normal marriage, with normal sexual relations, that Mary and Joseph (no doubt) enjoyed.

quote:
... But anyway, perhaps more important than "relating" to her is that, in this view, the message is more balanced: marriage, if it is what you are called to, is just as holy as virginity.
Absolutely. One hundred percent.

quote:
Yep, that was me. [Smile] I am very glad to be an evangelical but I do sometimes wonder what my fellow evangelicals think the Holy Spirit was doing in the 1,500 years before the Reformation ...! [Help]

quote:
I think so too. Great post, Cara. [Smile]

Thanks, Laurelin.

Re wishy-washy: I didn't mean that I think this theological stance towards Mary (ie miraculous conception of Jesus while a virgin; normal childbirth; normal married life afterwards) is wishy-washy. That was a more global description of my whole faith now--a bit wishy-washy, a bit of a flickering flame.

But then, A. N. Wilson recently (can't recall where) defended being "wishy-washy." (I look forward to reading more from him on his return to Christian faith...)

Re what you say about wondering what your fellow evangelicals think the Holy Spirit was doing in the 1,500 years before the Reformation--Yes! Well put!! And it made me chuckle!

BUT....while I know you're exaggerating a bit for fun....I fell to thinking....are there really people who have this view that the whole Christian Church before the Reformation was completely wrong on all counts and lacking guidance from the Holy Spirit???? So puzzling and so sad, if so....

But I suppose that would be yet another tangent...

--------------------
Pondering.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Anglican_Brat: Why is it out of the imagination that Mary, in light of her vocation, felt that the will of God required her to refrain from sexual activity?
I'm getting more and more the feeling that in this case, the real saint here would be Joseph.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Yes, or else he's the patron saint of husbands whose wives say 'no' all the time.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, or else he's the patron saint of husbands whose wives say 'no' all the time.

[Overused] [Killing me]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What was the Holy Spirit doing in the 1500 years before the Reformation? Why, preparing the way for the Reformation of course ... [Roll Eyes]

Or, at least that's the impression you'd get from some quarters.

It's all you pays your money and you makes your choice with this one.

I don't see why, in and of itself, a belief in the Perpetual Virginity of Mary should necessitate an unhealthy and unwholesome attitude towards sex per se ... although I agree that it can happen.

I know I sometimes trumpet the Orthodox case here, but from what I've seen they seem pretty down-to-earth on these matters and don't seem to have the same kind of hang-ups and sexual guilt that seem to have bedevilled much of Western Christianity. I might be wrong, though, I don't know their Tradition well enough ...

They seem not to 'go so far' as the RCs and whilst they do have monastics and Orthodox Bishops are drawn from the monasteries, they don't strike me as being hung-up about sexual issues.

I don't think any of us are in a position to point the finger at the RCs as being alone in this respect, though. I've read an account of the Salvation Army in Victorian times in which they committed one of the girls they were bringing up in an orphanage to a lunatic asylum because she'd been masturbating and teaching the other girls to do the same.

I daresay a similar reaction could well have occurred in an Anglican, Methodist or any other form of orphanage at that time.

Meanwhile ... on the loggats thing, no I didn't appreciate his Revelation reference but as he's new and had apologised I didn't consider it worthy of a Hell call - although I can understand the Hostly intervention.

I also appreciate the rules and seek to abide by them and so apologise if I over-stepped the mark in sitting in judgment on those.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Just as an extreme push towards Mary's perpetual virginity can lead to an unhealthy view of sex, an extreme push to create a Wholesome Nuclear Family of the Holy Family can lead to an unhealthy view of celibacy and singledom. Whatever the state of Mary's hymen, the Holy Family remain an awkward, humble, gossiped-about blended family - and that's what makes them so holy and wonderful. God is with us in stepchildren and family bust-ups and social faux-pas, because that was His family too.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
I've read an account of the Salvation Army in Victorian times in which they committed one of the girls they were bringing up in an orphanage to a lunatic asylum because she'd been masturbating and teaching the other girls to do the same.

I daresay a similar reaction could well have occurred in an Anglican, Methodist or any other form of orphanage at that time.

Or any school you care to mention. It was the thinking at the time, not just religious opionion.

Of course we have the exact opposite now with many a youth wandering down the high street with his hands down the front of his trackies!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody hell! Where do you hang out? Pocket billiards isn't necessarily cracking one off.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
loggats: I wonder. For those of you who don't acknowledge the perpetual virginity of Mary - what would in fact change your minds? If it were printed in black and white somewhere in your bibles? Is that pretty much the only criterion.
I doubt that this would change much for me. I mostly try to read the Bible in the sense of: what can it tell me about how to live my life as a Christian today? The few sentences about Mary don't teach me a whole lot about sexuality. They do teach me about a simple girl who showed courage when she was presented with something great though.

quote:
loggats: LeRoc, tell me again how a perfect God learns from His creatures?
By becoming one of them.

Nice point! [Smile] One might as well apply the question logically to 'why would a perfect God need to create anything beyond himself?' After all when something's perfect, you leave it alone right?

I'm another who doesn't find everything written in black and white in the Bible as necessary proof it should be believed literally. So even if a New Testament writer (or an OT prophet) had cobbled together something about the mother of God being perpetually virginal, it wouldn't necessarily follow it was actually true and/or relevant to anything. It would just be one more rather strange anomaly, subject to interpretation, criticism and theological exploitation. Along with the rest.

However, it would at least come within the remit of scriptural legitimacy with regard to the need to take it seriously as having some importance. Eg, as with the issue about the sinfulness or otherwise of the 'sodomites' condemned in the Bible, and the sinfulness or otherwise of loving, consentual modern-day same-sex relationships. Of course, its importance may be - as in the case of the example just given - to highlight the gaps of knowledge in the human condition, and the need to fill those gaps with prejudice, guesswork and primitive thinking.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016