homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Perpetual virginity and vaginal birth (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Perpetual virginity and vaginal birth
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
quote:

I remember once even trying to pray to Mary, and it was about the most spiritually dead experience I have ever had (and I am not saying that because I have slipped back into "nasty mode". It's just the truth about how I felt).

You describe perfectly they way I often felt in my youth, when I was trying hard to adopt and live up to Roman Catholicism.

Nowadays, instead of prayingto Mary, I often find myself talking to her. Wondering what she would say or do about something troubling or perplexing me. Imagining her responses. Listening. Trying to learn from what I think she would do or say, based on what I know about her life, her times, and her unique relationship to Jesus. All of that is possible for me now, and actually quite comforting. Something to be grateful for.

quote:

I am an annoying "picker and chooser" when it comes to doctrines. I feel I am almost genetically incapable of just submitting to a denominational package wholesale, and believing stuff simply because "my church says so". I just cannot do it. Maybe it's just an annoying "ooh look at the emperor, he's got no clothes on" syndrome! [Big Grin]

This is one of the reasons I always pay attention to your posts, EE, and often learn from them. While it can educational to read the posts of those who seem to have bought the complete package of this or that orthodoxy, it's more fun and stimulating to read what thoughtful pickers and choosers have to say.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by roybart:
quote:

I remember once even trying to pray to Mary, and it was about the most spiritually dead experience I have ever had (and I am not saying that because I have slipped back into "nasty mode". It's just the truth about how I felt).

You describe perfectly they way I often felt in my youth, when I was trying hard to adopt and live up to Roman Catholicism.

Nowadays, instead of prayingto Mary, I often find myself talking to her. Wondering what she would say or do about something troubling or perplexing me. Imagining her responses. Listening. Trying to learn from what I think she would do or say, based on what I know about her life, her times, and her unique relationship to Jesus. All of that is possible for me now, and actually quite comforting. Something to be grateful for.

quote:

I am an annoying "picker and chooser" when it comes to doctrines. I feel I am almost genetically incapable of just submitting to a denominational package wholesale, and believing stuff simply because "my church says so". I just cannot do it. Maybe it's just an annoying "ooh look at the emperor, he's got no clothes on" syndrome! [Big Grin]

This is one of the reasons I always pay attention to your posts, EE, and often learn from them. While it can educational to read the posts of those who seem to have bought the complete package of this or that orthodoxy, it's more fun and stimulating to read what thoughtful, self-aware pickers and choosers have to say.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
If I were going purely on experience I'd have crossed the Bosphorus at that point.

What, become a Muslim?

From the UK, Istanbul is on your side of the Bosporus.

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by loggats:
Thanks for sharing your views, and hello. I think you're the first non-Christian I've met here.

And hello to you too.

May I presume as an atheist- (that is one who does not believe in a god or gods and therefore has no dogmatic axe to grind) to offer a little advice.

I understand your zealous confidence and your certainty of conviction – you remind me, accurately or not, of the somewhat priggish and undoubtedly arrogant child/youth that I was. My christianity may have been rather differently nuanced to yours but it was just as sincere, just as important and just as real to me as I’m sure yours is to you.

On these boards you will meet many people, mainly self-avowed christians but with a leavening of atheists and agnostics – many of whom will be more knowledgeable, more experienced and more generous of character than your contributions so far suggest you to be. If it’s any comfort most of them are (in matters of christian dogma) a lot more knowledgeable than I and probably more than a few of them are much nicer people than I ever could be. There are also, IMHO, some whose desires for the thrill of debate and the chance to display their (at least sometimes) undoubted erudition has led them to embrace nit-picking dogma to an extent which, were it to exist, would drive the Holy Ghost to despair as they crash unheedingly through others’ attempts to facilitate the great commission.

What I guess I’m trying to say is that, dependent upon your motivation for posting on SoF, you may wish to present your sincerely held beliefs either as such or as teachings of the organisation to which you have chosen submission. ISTM that sometimes your posts suggest that you think you are handing down eternal truths vouchsafed to you for the greater edification of we unfortunates of lesser understanding*. If, of course, you can demonstrate by means of solid evidence** that they are eternal truths etc. I for one would be fascinated to have the detail of that evidence.

*Examples available upon request

**Hearsay, tradition, wishful thinking, nice warm feelings, voices in one’s head, arguments from authority by men in fancy dress, stories invented/embraced by nomadic stone-age goat herders and uncorroborated writings chosen as sacred by a group commanded by a despotic emperor do not meet the standards normally required for “solid evidence”.

My apologies to Hosts if I'm straying into their domain.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugh

You carefully avoided a C3 violation by some neat wording. I guess you might have posted it on the Hell thread which loggats started.

That being said, you didn't tread on my Hostly toes by this somewhat tangential post. (A bit of personal tangenting is neither here nor there.)

Can't speak for loggats' toes, of course.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
Anselmina,

I was mainly thinking of a previous post made by L'organist, though I do think some of the reasoning in your post comes dangerously close i.e. that the belief in the perpeutual virginity of Mary arose from a "need" due to unhealthy views about women by men. It seems rather simplistic, if you ask me, and a non sequitur. It uses modern feminism as the rule by which the belief should be judged without ever establishing whether or not the belief is actually true.

Thanks for your answer, and the point you make; which is very well made and valid.

I don't think I'll ever agree with some Orthodox or Catholic views on Mary for reasons stated, but I do have respect for them and those who hold them. If by making my reasons for rejecting these views sound too simplistic, it seems as if I'm denigrating Mary, that's not my intention. She is most definitely worthy of a special and unique place in our faith. She's definitely a hero.

In the spirit of good will, an all that, I don't think anyone is deliberately denigrating the Virgin Mary. I just think the reasoning is wrong.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the spirit of good will, an all that, I don't think anyone is deliberately denigrating the Virgin Mary. I just think the reasoning is wrong.

Is that because you think that reasoning outside of the bounds of Tradition must be wrong? Or do you have more specific examples in mind?

There is this process called the historical-critical method which can be used to examine ancient texts (whether Holy Books or associated Traditional writings). It is a reasoning process. Do you believe it to be wrong in principle?

For example, the general understanding of the patriarchal context of much Traditional writing is not at all a feminist discovery or assertion. It arises directly from the application of the historical-critical method to the texts. That finding has been around for donkeys' years.

In that context, your own reasoning may be in need of some adjustment.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I explained why I believe the reasoning to be faulty in my post to Anselmina. As for the historical-critical method, no, I have no time for it at all.
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee
**Hearsay, tradition, wishful thinking, nice warm feelings, voices in one’s head, arguments from authority by men in fancy dress, stories invented/embraced by nomadic stone-age goat herders and uncorroborated writings chosen as sacred by a group commanded by a despotic emperor do not meet the standards normally required for “solid evidence”.

I sure would love to see the extraordinary atheistic claims about reality meeting the standards normally required for "solid evidence"! I seem to remember my thread entitled "evidence" some months ago, which resulted in one atheist having to resort to "paraconsistent logic" (aka non-logic) to defend his position, such was his level of desperation!

Still, I suppose we all hear different voices in our heads... [Big Grin]

[/tangent]

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Kaplan, ha ha ...

Mind you, I've always thought of the Brethren as being overly literal ... [Razz]

'Crossing the Bosphorus,' is, of course and as you well know, an analogous term to 'crossing the Tiber' (or 'crossing the Thames' come to that).

I think I might have mentioned 'crossing Lake Geneva' at some point, but I must admit I've not looked at an atlas to check whether I'd need to cross the lake to get to the town from here.

I wonder what the equivalent term would be for joining one of the Free or non-conformist churches? We could start a jolly thread on that one.

'Crossing the boundaries of good taste,' might be one that suits your stereotypical, Antipodean view of anything more than a few decades old ... [Razz] [Biased]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
quote:
Her womb was sanctified by our Lord's presence. To use a similitude, once a chalice has been consecrated as the vessel of our Lord's blood in the Eucharist it is no longer a common drinking vessel and it would be a sacrilege to use it as such.

I know some people think this way, but it seems to me a form of magical or superstitious thinking.

My reading is that Jesus would be only too happy to see His chalice used to give a drink of water to a passing tramp.

Best wishes,

Russ

Indeed. We have a chalice that is specifically used for the Eucharist because it looks the part, but we also have a couple of ordinary wine glasses that are used because the chalice isn't big enough. They go back the cupboard in the café with the others when we're finished and I doubt it's the same two every week.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I explained why I believe the reasoning to be faulty in my post to Anselmina.

You just said you thought it was faulty. You didn't say why. Unless I missed it.

quote:
As for the historical-critical method, no, I have no time for it at all.
The origins of ancient biblical texts, the 'world behind the text' is of no interest to you?

So, have we come to a conclusion yet on how exactly Our Lady gave birth to Jesus? [Biased]

Because my vote is for a normal birth. [Cool]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
stereotypical, Antipodean view of anything more than a few decades old ...

I am not expressing defensiveness but quite genuine perplexity when I say that I don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
I explained why I believe the reasoning to be faulty in my post to Anselmina. As for the historical-critical method, no, I have no time for it at all.

You mean this one?

You make a fair point, as Anselmina acknowledged, that the argument re patriarchical attitudes can be taken to far. But that's not my point.

The real issue is patriarchal attitudes. Whether well intentioned or not, whether protective or not, can they not be criticised legitimately on the grounds that they are demeaning? The issue for the Tradition is that one.

There is a certain irony in that when considering Mary. Which is clear from the Magnificat.

quote:
46 And Mary said:

‘My soul glorifies the Lord
47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
48 for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49 for the Mighty One has done great things for me –
holy is his name.
50 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.

Which is a bookend for this from Is 40

quote:
4 Every valley shall be raised up,
every mountain and hill made low;
the rough ground shall become level,
the rugged places a plain.
5 And the glory of the Lord will be revealed,
and all people will see it together.
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

Demeaning is the same, whoever is the powerful demeaner and whoever is the powerless demeaned. The prophetic words predict the humbling of the powerful and the uplifting of the humble. They say that demeaning is wrong. And Jesus tells us it shall not be so among us.

Addressing a woman as "mare" is demeaning. I'm sure you get the point.

So far as the historical critical method is concerned, well at least I know where you are coming from. Even though I have no idea why. It's just an analytical tool.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

I meant the post before that.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Oh you mean the one quoted by Anselmina here?

But that's just a rantish assertion. It shows what you believe but it does not address any reasoning. It is a classic piece of Bulverism.

And of course it stimulated ken's "vomitarium" post.

Again, it tells me where you are coming from but I don't have the least idea why. If findings coming out of historical criticism or arguments coming out of feminism are wrong, you can criticise the findings and arguments on their own merits, including going back to underlying premises if you like. That's fine. That's the way serious argument is done.

You don't prove anything by asserting underlying prejudices, either in processes or people.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel
I'd be wary, EE, of using feelings and impressions as a bench-mark. If you didn't 'feel' anything when you attempted to 'pray to' Mary then that, in and of itself, doesn't invalidate the practice.

I once went to an Orthodox service where they were all venerating a famous Russian icon of the Virgin Mary that was on tour of the UK. I plunged in and did exactly what they were doing. I found it strangely uplifting spiritually, even though the 'logical', Protestant part of my brain and psyche was doing triple somersaults.

What does this mean?

If I were going purely on experience I'd have crossed the Bosphorus at that point.

Then what would validate the practice?

By the way, since you have taken it upon yourself to dish out advice to me, then could I advise you not to be too hasty to assume that you know what you are talking about when referring to "feelings and impressions". Spiritual experiences are not the same as mere 'feelings' in the emotional sense. I assume you know that?

And be careful how you use the word 'experience'. The entirety of life is an experience, and we are all able to distinguish between different categories of experience. In fact, for all their talk about "reason and evidence", I would dare to suggest that a lot of atheists' critique of what they term 'religion' is based on nothing more than impressions (which seems quite obvious from the type of language and expression they use in describing religion).

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
quote:
Originally posted by loggats:
Thanks for sharing your views, and hello. I think you're the first non-Christian I've met here.

And hello to you too.

May I presume as an atheist- (that is one who does not believe in a god or gods and therefore has no dogmatic axe to grind) to offer a little advice.

I understand your zealous confidence and your certainty of conviction – you remind me, accurately or not, of the somewhat priggish and undoubtedly arrogant child/youth that I was. My christianity may have been rather differently nuanced to yours but it was just as sincere, just as important and just as real to me as I’m sure yours is to you.

On these boards you will meet many people, mainly self-avowed christians but with a leavening of atheists and agnostics – many of whom will be more knowledgeable, more experienced and more generous of character than your contributions so far suggest you to be. If it’s any comfort most of them are (in matters of christian dogma) a lot more knowledgeable than I and probably more than a few of them are much nicer people than I ever could be. There are also, IMHO, some whose desires for the thrill of debate and the chance to display their (at least sometimes) undoubted erudition has led them to embrace nit-picking dogma to an extent which, were it to exist, would drive the Holy Ghost to despair as they crash unheedingly through others’ attempts to facilitate the great commission.

What I guess I’m trying to say is that, dependent upon your motivation for posting on SoF, you may wish to present your sincerely held beliefs either as such or as teachings of the organisation to which you have chosen submission. ISTM that sometimes your posts suggest that you think you are handing down eternal truths vouchsafed to you for the greater edification of we unfortunates of lesser understanding*. If, of course, you can demonstrate by means of solid evidence** that they are eternal truths etc. I for one would be fascinated to have the detail of that evidence.

*Examples available upon request

My apologies to Hosts if I'm straying into their domain.

You don't seem very nice at all!

Good luck.

--------------------
"He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just thinking aloud (thinking allowed?), EE.

I wasn't suggesting that you were going purely on experiences or singling you out for censure or 'advice' - although I can see why you got that impression.

In terms of what would validate the practice of venerating an icon then the answer obviously depends on which tradition we're from.

An Orthodox or an RC Christian might say, 'Well, it's in the Tradition so that's validation enough ...'

An Anglican might say, 'Well, let's consider it from the viewpoint of scripture, reason and tradition ...'

A Wesleyan might add 'experience' to make it a nice Quadrilateral.

A conservative evangelical might say, 'Whoah! It's not in the Bible therefore it's invalid ..'

There's a whole range of criteria. I was simply saying that 'experience' in terms of how one 'felt' or didn't feel isn't, in an of itself, any measure of whether a practice is valid or not.

If you 'felt' nothing when attempting to 'pray to Mary' it no more validates or invalidates the practice than if you suddenly found yourself feeling full of loving devotion and adoration for her as the Mother of God.

Do you always 'feel' anything when you pray to Almighty God?

And yes, spiritual experiences are not the same as mere 'feelings' in the emotional sense. But it can be difficult to discern and evaluate what is a genuine spiritual experience and what might be the result of suggestibility or too much cheese the night before.

These things aren't clear cut.

All I was saying that if response to aesthetic stimuli or a sense of something 'there' was all we had to go on then all of us could end up in very different places.

And yes, I'd go along with your assessment of how many atheists respond when they conflate apparent 'evidence' with their own feelings and impressions.

It works the same way with all of us, though, at times.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
@ Kaplan, ha ha ...

Mind you, I've always thought of the Brethren as being overly literal ... [Razz]

'Crossing the Bosphorus,' is, of course and as you well know, an analogous term to 'crossing the Tiber' (or 'crossing the Thames' come to that).

If we're going to be literal, that should be crossing the Stour.

quote:
I think I might have mentioned 'crossing Lake Geneva' at some point, but I must admit I've not looked at an atlas to check whether I'd need to cross the lake to get to the town from here.

I wonder what the equivalent term would be for joining one of the Free or non-conformist churches? We could start a jolly thread on that one. ...

Crossing the Waters of Leith? Or for one of the more stringent varieties, crossing the Minch? Or for joining the Brethren, crossing the Tamar, except that in literal terms, the Tamar is on the Cornwall side, so crossing the Plym is more accurate?
[Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Oh you mean the one quoted by Anselmina here?

But that's just a rantish assertion. It shows what you believe but it does not address any reasoning. It is a classic piece of Bulverism.

And of course it stimulated ken's "vomitarium" post.

Again, it tells me where you are coming from but I don't have the least idea why. If findings coming out of historical criticism or arguments coming out of feminism are wrong, you can criticise the findings and arguments on their own merits, including going back to underlying premises if you like. That's fine. That's the way serious argument is done.

You don't prove anything by asserting underlying prejudices, either in processes or people.

My previous post was to laurelin. Sorry, a bad habit of mine in not quoting the post I'm replying to. The post I was referring to was the one you originally had in mind when I criticised using modern feminism as the rule by which to judge the belief without even attempting to discern whether or not the belief is actually true first.

The reason I reject the historical critical method is because it is completely detatched from Tradition.

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The reason I reject the historical critical method is because it is completely detatched from Tradition.

So your faith is entirely insulated from anything new; any new archaeological evidence, linguistic discoveries, new insight into the culture of Biblical times that might suggest a revision of how we interpret the Bible...?

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Yes, the Tamar indeed. Or it could be the Liffey as the Brethren emanated from meetings held in Dublin too, if I remember rightly ...

I s'pose it'd be the Tweed for anyone considering the Kirk.

As for Kaplan's puzzlement as to what I mean by my teasing comment about an Antipodean tendency to debunk tradition and anything 'old' ... well, Aussie iconoclasm is well known. They don't take too kindly to 'authority'. It's part of their charm.

[Big Grin]

Seriously, I'm only serving him back for comments he's made here to the effect that the only reason that some of us don't diss Copts, Orthodox and RCs as much as they might deserve is because we're snobs and prefer 'old money' to 'new money'.

I'm just joffing and riffing around that idea.

I'll get me coat ...

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

To be fair to the Orthodox - and not necessarily to Ad Orientem - I once attended a fascinating two-day study led by Bishop Kallistos Ware.

He was fully cognisant of modern critical techniques and approaches and of recent scholarship in archaeology and so on.

Obviously, his approach to the scriptures was rooted in and defined by his grounding in Tradition - but he wasn't dismissive by any means of biblical scholarship from within Protestant or other traditions.

I'm guessing, but I suspect that Ad Orientem would have found it all rather too 'liberal' for him.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Probably. [Smile]
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knowing a bit about how to 'do' history, the idea of not applying a dose of historical common sense to scripture, yet alone tradition, strikes me as deliberately obscurantist. It also means that even if you have a high view of the status of the text, you miss a lot of stimulating nuances that are clearly there if you have the eyes to see them.

Why, for example, did Jezebel have to have Naboth accused specifically of treason? Why couldn't she have arranged to have him quietly done in? Or just grab the vineyard anyway? There is a good reason for this.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread reminds me of whoever it was said that you can't discuss the Virgin Mary with Catholics without feeling you've insulted their mother.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The belief in Mary's perpetual virginity was something developed by the Church Fathers over time, it's not a doctrine that is immediately deducted from the New Testament or that Scripture hands over to us like a neatly packaged box with a ribbon on top. I'm not saying this to bash that particular belief or the Church Fathers, merely pointing out that the traditions of the church have developed organically over time. Which is why it took the Church three centuries to work out a satisfactory Creed that all Christians can say and why it took the Church a long time to formulate a good theology of the Trinity (which can be deduced from Scripture but needs careful working out).

If historical-critical scholarship could prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the references in the gospels to Jesus' family really do refer to His bio siblings (I'm not greatly exercised about this, btw, merely posing a hypothetical possibility) then some Traditions of the Church might need re-thinking ...

I do believe in the virginal conception of Jesus, because I believe it can be deduced from Scripture. It is a part of the Creed. Belief in the perpetual virginity of Mary is, IMVHO, not in that category.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Knowing a bit about how to 'do' history, the idea of not applying a dose of historical common sense to scripture, yet alone tradition, strikes me as deliberately obscurantist. It also means that even if you have a high view of the status of the text, you miss a lot of stimulating nuances that are clearly there if you have the eyes to see them.

Why, for example, did Jezebel have to have Naboth accused specifically of treason? Why couldn't she have arranged to have him quietly done in? Or just grab the vineyard anyway? There is a good reason for this.

Don't get me wrong, historical context is not irrelevant, it's just the relatively modern historical critical method I have problem with. It's detached from the tradition, deliberately so by non-believers and those on the brink of apostasy, namely modernists.

[ 03. May 2013, 11:49: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think a lot of conservative Protestants and RCs would take the same view of that tendency within modernism, Ad Orientem. That doesn't mean to say that there's nothing to learn from the modern, critical approach though ... Bishop Kallistos clearly felt it was possible to learn from it without it posing any threat whatsoever to Tradition (or tradition come to that).

I s'pose the mileage varies on how much weight or emphasis we put on these things.

I asked the good Bishop Kallistos some difficult questions which he very graciously answered without being patronising or putting me down. He did suggest, though, quite sharply, that I familiarised myself more thoroughly with the Orthodox approach to typology in the scriptures when I asked a question about how many Protestants might be inclined to see the Burning Bush as a 'type' of Christ whereas the Orthodox see it as a 'type' of the Virgin Mary ie - bearing God within her womb and being 'on fire' without being consumed.

I can see a both/and here.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am in a very progressive church group, but I can say that we have great respect for Tradition. We are constantly looking for what this Eighth Century philosopher said about a Bible text, or what is written about in the Talmud... We don't necessarily treat it as something we automatically have to believe in, but we are always looking for what Tradition can say about how we live our faith now. Of course I'm not an impartial observer here, but I'd say that we treat Tradition with great respect.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

quote:
I think a lot of conservative Protestants and RCs would take the same view of that tendency within modernism, Ad Orientem. That doesn't mean to say that there's nothing to learn from the modern, critical approach though ... Bishop Kallistos clearly felt it was possible to learn from it without it posing any threat whatsoever to Tradition (or tradition come to that).

I agree.

quote:
I can see a both/and here.
So can I, in principle, but I'm not a big fan of typology, probably because I tend to think we evangelicals overdo it. (And, from the sound of it, others do as well ...)

I see neither Jesus nor His mother in the Burning Bush. I do see the Eternal Presence, the burning heart of purity and light and holiness. I AM WHO I AM.

I am not denying the messianic elements in the OT, but neither do I think that we have to see Jesus the Son in every single paragraph of the Bible. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is meeting with Moses in a particular time and place: the Incarnation is a long way off.

(I'm not saying that the Son is not THERE - just that He is not being specifically revealed in that particular incident and in that particular text.)

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God the Father: "Let's put a bush right in the middle of the desert, so that Moses will know that something special is going on."

His Son: "Daddy, put fire to the bush!"

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:

In a general sense, yes.

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
God the Father: "Let's put a bush right in the middle of the desert, so that Moses will know that something special is going on."

His Son: "Daddy, put fire to the bush!"

[Killing me]

[Overused]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Heh heh ...

Sure, I think there was a tendency to overdo typology in the Patristic period as well as a tendency to overdo it within evangelicalism too ... but I don't have an issue with applying the story of the Burning Bush to either Christ or to his Mother in the sense that what was happening there can be applied analogously to the both of them (as we'd say in South Wales) ...

Of course, the Church has retrospectively discerned these aspects and elements - effectively 'Christianising' the OT. Perhaps the Suffering Servant in Isaiah is the paradigm example of this.

I don't have a problem, of course, in seeing Christ as the Suffering Servant - the NT does that - but as long as this doesn't take away from the fact that it also had a contemporary application in the time of whichever Isaiah it was (and there was two or possibly even three or four of them [Biased] ) ...

What I do have a problem with is a woodenly literal approach to typology and OT prophecy which asserts that a particular interpretation is the only possible one it has or ever had.

@ EE - I'm still thinking about your comment about 'feeling' something in general terms when you pray to God. I'm not sure what you mean by that - but I'm reluctant to enter into a discussion about 'feelings' and their validity as this is a purely subjective thing. I didn't particularly 'feel' holy, blessed, or whatever else as I prayed this morning. Sometimes 'the heavens are as brass' - that doesn't mean that God has gone on holiday.

If we were going to go on 'feelings' though, what would say if I told you that I have venerated Mary and said/prayed the various RC and Orthodox prayers/liturgical material that points in her direction and gradually overcome my initial Protestant squeamishness in that regard.

It's difficult to quantify but I would suggest that I've developed a greater appreciation and indeed veneration for her as result. How could it be otherwise? If someone or something becomes an object of our devotion - however expressed - then the 'feelings' are going to follow, I would suggest.

'If at first you don't succeed.'

For all you or I or any of us know, had you persisted in 'praying to Mary' then sooner or later you could have developed a sense of personal devotion to her in the way that loggats or Ad Orientem have.

Who knows?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought we had established that there's nothing wrong with Bulverism, and indeed it's just a nasty name to fling at people with no cognitive content?

quote:
quote:

In a general sense, yes.
Not to do "guilty by association" but this is how Mormon missionaries draw in their victims. "Read the Book of Mormon, and see if you don't feel a burning in your heart."

Subjective emotional feelings (which is of course triply redundant) are a wobbly criteria for spiritual reality, and a dangerous one. The devil is capable of appearing as an angel of light.

quote:
Of course, the Church has retrospectively discerned these aspects and elements - effectively 'Christianising' the OT. Perhaps the Suffering Servant in Isaiah is the paradigm example of this.

I think it depends on whether you think Christianity was a tack-on or accidental outgrowth of OT religion, or the natural and intended outcome. I'd imagine you can guess which side of that I come down on.

Oh and, "[Ye] Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."

Paul too is very explicit that the OT saints looked forward to Christ, and that the NT Church is what the whole shebang was set up for.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
@ EE - I'm still thinking about your comment about 'feeling' something in general terms when you pray to God. I'm not sure what you mean by that...

As a Christian I do not experience reality in the same way that I did before I came to Christ. My Christian faith is not just an intellectual position I happen to believe, but which has very little bearing on my consciousness and entire perception of reality at a spiritual level. Being a "new creation" and "having passed from death to life" sounds pretty experiential to me, and it has certainly proven to be the case for me. I cannot lie.

Now this is not to say that I have never had terrible experiences in my Christian life (i.e. depression), but at a deep level there has been a constant sense of the reality of God. I am well aware that atheists will say that I am deluded; I understand that they need to say that to be faithful to their ideology, but I can only testify to the truth of the case, even though, of course, I could not prove it to anyone else, due to the fact that, as you rightly say, experiences are subjective.

I have also had some very specific experiences of God, and these are not regular occurrences.

quote:
It's difficult to quantify but I would suggest that I've developed a greater appreciation and indeed veneration for her as result. How could it be otherwise? If someone or something becomes an object of our devotion - however expressed - then the 'feelings' are going to follow, I would suggest.

'If at first you don't succeed.'

For all you or I or any of us know, had you persisted in 'praying to Mary' then sooner or later you could have developed a sense of personal devotion to her in the way that loggats or Ad Orientem have.

Who knows?

This is a common argument in evangelicaldom, that lack of persistence is the reason for some spiritual practices "not working".

This argument is often deployed concerning tithing:

Near bankrupt tithing quitter: "I'm giving up this tithing lark, because I don't have any money left to pay the mortgage."

Tithing guilt tripping 'evangelist': "Oh, but you must persist in faith, and God will be faithful and will not allow you to end up on the street. Keep going and it will happen, I assure you!"

Near bankrupt tithing quitter: "Presumably you'll put your money where your mouth is, and help me and my family financially, if you care so much?"

Tithing guilt tripping 'evangelist': "Not likely! You have to trust God entirely, and follow what I am saying, even though there's no cost to me to say it."

Near bankrupt tithing quitter: "Thought so. Nice knowing you.... bye bye..."

So no, I am not impressed by this "absolutely nothing's happening but I must persist" argument.

On the contrary... we are commanded to "follow the leading of the Holy Spirit", and this, of course, has an experiential element.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief
Subjective emotional feelings (which is of course triply redundant) are a wobbly criteria for spiritual reality, and a dangerous one.

I must say that that is a rather curious comment. How exactly do we know or have any contact with "spiritual reality" if we are not allowed to experience it? The word 'reality' suggests something we actually experience. What does "unexperienced spiritual reality" mean?

What does "unexperienced peace" mean?

"Unexperienced love"?

"Unexperienced hope"?

And so on...

(And if you say that you are not talking about 'experience' per se, but "emotional feelings" then who are you talking to? You brought up that idea, not me.)

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I thought we had established that there's nothing wrong with Bulverism, and indeed it's just a nasty name to fling at people with no cognitive content?

quote:
quote:

In a general sense, yes.
Not to do "guilty by association" but this is how Mormon missionaries draw in their victims. "Read the Book of Mormon, and see if you don't feel a burning in your heart."

Subjective emotional feelings (which is of course triply redundant) are a wobbly criteria for spiritual reality, and a dangerous one. The devil is capable of appearing as an angel of light.

quote:

I think it depends on whether you think Christianity was a tack-on or accidental outgrowth of OT religion, or the natural and intended outcome. I'd imagine you can guess which side of that I come down on.

Oh and, "[Ye] Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."

Paul too is very explicit that the OT saints looked forward to Christ, and that the NT Church is what the whole shebang was set up for.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Please don't misunderstand me, EE. I'm not saying that there isn't an experiential (or 'experimental' as the Puritans called it) element to religion.

I'm not saying that any more than I am saying to Mousethief that the Church was WRONG to discern Christological types and prophecies in the OT.

As it happens, I'm pretty close to MT's position on this one. What I was railing at was the tendency, among some, to treat these things as though they didn't have an 'independent' or Jewish application in pre-Christian times.

Of course the 'New is in the Old concealed, the Old is in the New revealed' and all the rest of it.

Anyhow, back to the experiential thing. No, I wasn't saying that experience wasn't at all important or had no bearing. All I was saying that it isn't the main criterion to use.

As MT says, Mormon missionaries use the bait-and-switch technique of trying to get you to do something in order to 'feel' the difference or the consequences.

The guilt-trip thing about tithing and so on is a point well made, but dare I suggest that you are projecting again?

I know exactly what you mean, but I wasn't suggesting that you should persist in praying to Mary until you 'felt' it make a difference. Simply suggesting that the lack of 'feeling' in and of itself in the first instance neither validates nor invalidates the practice.

Without rehearsing the 'tongues' thing yet again - and please, please, puh-leease, I'm only using this an analogy - there are instances of people being told to persist in seeking the 'gift' or, once they've started making a few babbling sounds, to keep practicing until they have perfected it.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you've done that nor would advocate that ... but I s'pose it's similar to your tithe example.

Peter Bohler the Moravian missionary famously advised John Wesley to 'preach faith until you have it.'

I'm not laying that forward as a model to follow, but just making the observation that 'feelings' can follow 'facts' if you like.

With the Mary thing, one's view and approach to the 'henceforth all generations shall call me blessed' aspect is going to depend on one's tradition or Tradition. Irrespective of feelings or subjective experiences.

Of course, Christianity is more than simply an intellectual exercise and we all of us here could probably list experiences we've had along our spiritual journey. I could list some now if it wouldn't create a tangent. I'm sure others could do the same.

All I'm saying is that in and off itself without checks and balances and frames of reference (and I'm not saying you don't have those either) the experiential aspects are not a sufficient guide.

Just as Christianity is more than an intellectual exercise, it is also more than the sum of our subjective experiences.

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

quote:
[qb] Paul too is very explicit that the OT saints looked forward to Christ, and that the NT Church is what the whole shebang was set up for.

I agree. I would also factor in Israel, but this is not the thread for that.

I can still do that and be cautious about some typology.

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

Ugh. Sorry about that stupid mess of a post at 5:08pm. [Roll Eyes] Just ignore it. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 03. May 2013, 16:41: Message edited by: Laurelin ]

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Certainly I would say that in reading the OT, for instance, we should always look for Christ and his Church.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
quote:

Oh, I see the source of confusion. Conflations of Bulverisms! Sorry.

I wasn't referring to Anselmina's comment, but this one by Ad Orientem.

quote:
That's because some people have a real big chip on their shoulder, that is certain breeds of feminists, mainly the rabid kind. They're unable to see things in any other terms except "You're a man, you're oppressing me." So, if you like women to be feminine, "Fuck of and die, mysoginist!" Or if you believe in the perpetual virginity of the Theotokos, "Virginity infantilises women and leads to oppression."
On reflection, mousethief, it's a strawman with bits of Bulverism thrown in for good measure. But the logical fallacy is pretty clear.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
quote:

The belief in Mary's perpetual virginity was something developed by the Church Fathers over time, it's not a doctrine that is immediately deducted from the New Testament or that Scripture hands over to us like a neatly packaged box with a ribbon on top. I'm not saying this to bash that particular belief or the Church Fathers, merely pointing out that the traditions of the church have developed organically over time. Which is why it took the Church three centuries to work out a satisfactory Creed that all Christians can say and why it took the Church a long time to formulate a good theology of the Trinity (which can be deduced from Scripture but needs careful working out).
There is indeed a certain logical problem involved with relying on long-standing Tradition, in that there has to have been some point at which the Tradition was not in fact long-standing and was a new and novel idea. Which someone had to accept despite the fact that it wasn't, at that time, traditional.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

The belief in Mary's perpetual virginity comes from the blessed Theotokos herself. It is also easily deduced from the scriptures by looking at who Christ is - God. Tradition, which is really only the scriptures properly understood does not "develop".
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The belief in Mary's perpetual virginity comes from the blessed Theotokos herself. It is also easily deduced from the scriptures by looking at who Christ is - God. Tradition, which is really only the scriptures properly understood does not "develop".

1. What are you suggesting here? I'm not aware of any record of Mary's statements or writings.

2. I find it very difficult to accept the notion that it is easily deduced when millions of Bible-literate Christians have deduced no such thing.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I also find the idea that Tradition doesn't develop weird. Unless you make it mean something other than what the word 'tradition' actually means.

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Protestants who don't recognise the divine institution and divine authority of an apostolic legacy in the Church as founded by Christ (with the living sense of its infallibility, indefectibility and teaching prerogatives) really can't be expected to understand or agree with Tradition.

--------------------
"He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016