homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Perpetual virginity and vaginal birth (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Perpetual virginity and vaginal birth
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by loggats:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
For you loggats, which is fine. It doesn't translate. Only to 1:1000. It's a fact for you and cradle Romans and the tiny percentage of converts. God bless you with it. Is it a basis for exclusion ?

It's a dogma and as such is accepted (I see no reason to assume lots of Catholics deny it anyway) by a Church of 1.2 billion souls.

According to the Baltimore Catechism, "Q. 554. Could a person who denies only one article of our faith be a Catholic? — A. A person who denies even one article of our faith could not be a Catholic; for truth is one and we must accept it whole and entire or not at all."

But I'm sure Rahner found an elegant way around that, so don't you worry. [Big Grin]

Note that this means Thomas Aquinas is not a Catholic.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did Aquinas reject it? Where?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orfeo - on the off chance you'd like to learn something, I suggest reading this page.

--------------------
"He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

He did not reject it, and the Baltimore Catechism (while good for catechizing children and people new to the faith) is hardly definitive anyway.

"Even though Aquinas did not claim that Mary was sanctified from the moment of her conception, he did claim that she was sanctified before her birth, and so never committed personal sin."

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

He did not reject it, and the Baltimore Catechism (while good for catechizing children and people new to the faith) is hardly definitive anyway.

"Even though Aquinas did not claim that Mary was sanctified from the moment of her conception, he did claim that she was sanctified before her birth, and so never committed personal sin."

Okay, so now the immaculate conception is defined with an asterisk saying "conception doesn't necessarily occur at... conception"?

That's just bloody silly. It's one thing to point out that Aquinas thought that Mary was sanctified before birth. It's quite another to claim that he accepted the immaculate conception even while explicitly stating that he didn't.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

And someone should tell that writer not to project what he thinks I object to. What I actually object to is an attitude of declaring that there is one eternally true theology, no querying allowed, while actually changing the theology over time.

And frankly I also object to throwing out statements like the Baltimore catechism, but then retracting them once there's a problem. If you don't really mean it, it shouldn't be tossed in to demonstrate the certainty and absoluteness of Catholic theology in the first place.

Actual Catholic theologians may well be more subtle about it, but my experience of the average Catholic is that definitive declarations of true aim get made in concert with moving the goalposts as necessary to ensure that the ball does in fact always end up in the net.

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
quote:

Okay, so now the immaculate conception is defined with an asterisk saying "conception doesn't necessarily occur at... conception"?

That's just bloody silly. It's one thing to point out that Aquinas thought that Mary was sanctified before birth. It's quite another to claim that he accepted the immaculate conception even while explicitly stating that he didn't.

Not completely sure you aren't the silly one here.

The dogma of the Immaculate Conception was defined ex cathedra in 1854 (Aquinas died in 1274). And since Aquinas is a saint (a member of the Church Triumphant) he's in the best position of all to finally understand that Mary was immaculately conceived. Though his wonderful mind got pretty close (closer than you've got so far, but who knows).

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
And someone should tell that writer not to project what he thinks I object to. What I actually object to is an attitude of declaring that there is one eternally true theology, no querying allowed, while actually changing the theology over time.

And frankly I also object to throwing out statements like the Baltimore catechism, but then retracting them once there's a problem. If you don't really mean it, it shouldn't be tossed in to demonstrate the certainty and absoluteness of Catholic theology in the first place.

Actual Catholic theologians may well be more subtle about it, but my experience of the average Catholic is that definitive declarations of true aim get made in concert with moving the goalposts as necessary to ensure that the ball does in fact always end up in the net.

There was a tongue in cheek reference to Rahner after the Baltimore Catechism quote - I guess it didn't go down too well. And the Baltimore Catechism is (obviously, I thought) in no way definitive. Most Church documents don't come in a question and answer format.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not completely sure you aren't the silly one here.

The dogma of the Immaculate Conception was defined ex cathedra in 1854 (Aquinas died in 1274). And since Aquinas is a saint (a member of the Church Triumphant) he's in the best position of all to finally understand that Mary was immaculately conceived. Though his wonderful mind got pretty close (closer than you've got so far, but who knows).

The very fact that the dogma was defined almost 600 years after Aquinas is pretty much the point I'm trying to make to you. Don't pretend that your faith has a monolithic immutable certainty to it that it doesn't possess.

I have no problem with accepting Aquinas as a Catholic. My point is that by your arguments, he's in danger of being declared to be outside of the one true faith. Not by mine. Because your arguments (and not only yours) tend towards "there is only one true answer, all Catholics believe this" ways of thinking that pose these problems.

Whereas in the same way that I think a wide variety of orthodox, catholic and protestant people are all Christians despite some variety in what they believe, I think its perfectly possible for people to have slightly varying beliefs while still being part of the Roman form of the Christian faith.

That Thomas Aquinas' beliefs were slightly at variance with the notion of immaculate conception is inarguable. Your own sources agree with this while trying to say "the difference isn't important". I actually don't think the difference is important. My problem is with Catholics turning around and saying to me "the difference isn't important" shortly after banging on about the one true theology from which no deviation will be tolerated.

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

He's dead... he isn't on Ship of Fools claiming that the dogma is wrong.

Anyway. It's been interesting reading about your problems.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
He's dead... he isn't on Ship of Fools claiming that the dogma is wrong.

He's recorded in your own link as not agreeing with it. The theology was well known in his own time. It just hadn't been declared dogma yet.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Orfeo, good work with this phrase - it made me chuckle and nod my head in agreement both at once! I can't say whether it's true of all / most / typical Roman Catholics but it rings true with some of the arguments on this thread, IMO.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

The authority of these writings, recognised implicitly in the first century and seen as giving them the status of 'scripture' was rather muddied in the second century by the other stuff that was written - hence the need for a council in order to confirm that which was apostolic and authoritative, and that which was not apostolic and therefore had no authority and no status as scripture.

The church did not create the scripture, the church council merely confirmed the authority of writings that were already known as scripture 200 years previously.

Which council was that then? It certainly wasn't ecumenical. The canon was determined by custom not council.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:

The authority of these writings, recognised implicitly in the first century and seen as giving them the status of 'scripture' was rather muddied in the second century by the other stuff that was written - hence the need for a council in order to confirm that which was apostolic and authoritative, and that which was not apostolic and therefore had no authority and no status as scripture.

The church did not create the scripture, the church council merely confirmed the authority of writings that were already known as scripture 200 years previously.

Which council was that then? It certainly wasn't ecumenical. The canon was determined by custom not council.
He's right, Muddy.

The myth that the NT canon was established by an ecumenical council is attributable to Dan Brown, not church history.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Canon tangent]
There are points to be made both ways.

Here is the observation by F F Bruce

quote:
One thing must be emphatically stated. The New Testament books did not become authoritative for the Church because they were formally included in a canonical list; on the contrary, the Church included them in her canon because she already regarded them as divinely inspired, recognising their innate worth and generally apostolic authority, direct or indirect. The first ecclesiastical councils to classify the canonical books were both held in North Africa-at Hippo Regius in 393 and at Carthage in 397-but what these councils did was not to impose something new upon the Christian communities but to codify what was already the general practice of those communities.
From this link.

The Wiki entry says this

quote:
The first council that accepted the present Catholic canon (the Canon of Trent) may have been the Synod of Hippo Regius in North Africa (393); the acts of this council, however, are lost. A brief summary of the acts was read at and accepted by the Councils of Carthage in 397 and 419.
I don't think Revelation was included - it was added at the subsequent Synod in Carthage in 419 according to the Wiki footnote.

This comment may also be helpful

quote:
The eastern churches had, in general, a weaker feeling than those in the west for the necessity of making a sharp delineation with regard to the canon. It was more conscious of the gradation of spiritual quality among the books that it accepted (e.g. the classification of Eusebius, see also Antilegomena) and was less often disposed to assert that the books which it rejected possessed no spiritual quality at all. For example, the Trullan Synod of 691-692, which was rejected by Pope Constantine (see also Pentarchy), endorsed the following lists of canonical writings: the Apostolic Canons (c. 385), the Synod of Laodicea (c. 363), the Third Synod of Carthage (c. 397), and the 39th Festal Letter of Athanasius (367). And yet, these lists do not agree. Similarly, the New Testament canons of the national churches of Syria, Armenia, Georgia, Egypt (The Coptic Church), and Ethiopia all have minor differences.[27] The Revelation of John is one of the most uncertain books; it was not translated into Georgian until the 10th century, and it has never been included in the official lectionary of the Greek Church, whether Byzantine or modern.
Here's the link to the Wiki article.

[/Canon tangent]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Orfeo

And, IME, if they still can't fudge it that way they grab the ball (which they say is their's) and stalk off the pitch in a huff.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going against my previous comment about the sorts of things that are not discussed in polite society, but here goes. If this seems like irreverence please excuse me. In the context, it is a serious question.

To return to the original topic, do those who are particularly adamant on perpetual virginity and/or that Mary was conceived immaculate, also say that she did not have a monthly cycle, and so was exempt from regular levitical impurity and the mikveh? Or is that form of impurity minor, and so compatible with being immaculate? It was sufficiently serious that the woman with an issue of blood did not think she could publicly approach Jesus.

Or has this never been asked?

I can see that one could have a pious legend that when the angel Gabriel visited her, it was just before her first period, so that Jesus was conceived of her first and only egg, and thereafter there were no more, but if there is such a pious legend, I've never heard it.

[ 06. May 2013, 09:30: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
cont.

While it was not strictly necessary for the Virgin Mary to be free from original sin in order for our Lord to be free from it, it's impossible for God to sin or be stained by sin. He became man to redeem us from sin.

The reason for the Mary's Immaculate Conception is her divine maternity. Quoting from a post I read in a Catholic forum that puts it very clearly, "it was fitting that she be given gifts appropriate to her role in our salvation: the mother of our Savior. It was also fitting that Christ, the Redeemer of humanity, would save one person in a most preeminent manner, by preventing His mother from contracting original sin. This too shows how perfectly He kept the Fourth Commandment, as He honored His mother by giving her such an abundance of grace."

Yes, well, if more Catholics gave me the impression that Mary was made special because she was the mother of God, rather than giving the impression that only she could be the mother of God because she was special, half of these arguments wouldn't happen.

There of course remain problems of timing, but then God is one of only two beings who can do all sorts of funny timey-wimey stuff (the other being Doctor Who).

Yes, if it was more clearly explained that 'theotokos' means "the One she is the mother of is God", rather than "she is God's mother", then most Protestants would say, 'Ah right! Got you now [Smile] ."

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Why did she need a Saviour then?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, if it was more clearly explained that 'theotokos' means "the One she is the mother of is God", rather than "she is God's mother", then most Protestants would say, 'Ah right! Got you now [Smile]

It might also help to explain that 'theotokos' is better translated 'bearer of God' rather than 'Mother of God' and relates more to the fact that the human and divine natures were united in Christ from the start rather than God entering him at a particular point in Jesus' ministry e.g. at his baptism.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, Yonatan.

@Mudfrog - I can see what you're getting at, even though you're getting your Councils and your customs mixed up - as Kaplan and Ad Orientem have noted.

But why a 'nebulous church'? In Higher ecclesial settings and traditions, such as the RCs and Orthodox, the concept of Church isn't nebulous at all. Far from it.

If anything, it's the 'lower church' traditions that are nebulous about Church.

Of course, the whole thing isn't clear cut on both sides - the Higher Church traditions have the concept that 'not all Israel are Israel' just as the 'lower' traditions have the concept that we can never fully define or establish the sum total of the Elect or who may or may not be ultimately saved.

I don't see why it's so problematic for Protestants - as well as RCs and Orthodox - to accept that the scriptures both arose 'out of' the Church and also helped form and shape that same church. To argue otherwise, as some Protestants appear to do, strikes me as introducing an unnecessary dichotomy between the Church in the context of which the scriptures were written and those same scriptures themselves.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yonatan:
quote:
Yes, if it was more clearly explained that 'theotokos' means "the One she is the mother of is God", rather than "she is God's mother", then most Protestants would say, 'Ah right! Got you now [Smile]

It might also help to explain that 'theotokos' is better translated 'bearer of God' rather than 'Mother of God' and relates more to the fact that the human and divine natures were united in Christ from the start rather than God entering him at a particular point in Jesus' ministry e.g. at his baptism.
I think you're both onto something here.

I've joked before, that English people can't help hearing the phrase "Mother of God" in an Irish accent. But more seriously, idiomatically in English, "Mother of God" implies that she preceded the Father chronologically, that the Father proceeded from her. I know there's a paradox there, but it doesn't sound right. I regard it as significant that the correct theological term is Theotokos and not Theometēr.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

it would also help to get rid of the dreadful attitude towards God that says we should pray to Mary because if he won't give it to you, go to his mother and she'll persuade him!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it would also help to get rid of the dreadful attitude towards God that says we should pray to Mary because if he won't give it to you, go to his mother and she'll persuade him!

It reaches God in the end, isn't all that matters?

The doctrine of the intercession of the Saints simply says that as in our earthly families, we may ask our elderly siblings to share a word on our behalf with our Father, so we may ask our elderly sisters and brothers in Christ to pray to God on our behalf. It strengthens our familial bonds within the Church.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
quote:

The doctrine of the intercession of the Saints simply says that as in our earthly families, we may ask our elderly siblings to share a word on our behalf with our Father, so we may ask our elderly sisters and brothers in Christ to pray to God on our behalf. It strengthens our familial bonds within the Church.

And reduces the role of the Holy Spirit as intercessor and the Son as mediator.

It also says something nasty about god's willingness to answer our prayers.
It also denies the loving and generous Fatherhood of God as revealed by Jesus who said, 'if you know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him.

Jesus said not one word - and neither did Paul or the apostles - about the supposed intercession of Mary or the saints.

Can you wonder why there is a Protestant church?
The God I read about in the Bible needs no 'saintly' intermediary: he hears my prayer perfectly well.

And as far as praying together here, or praying for one another, that is what we are asked to do. There is nothing about asking people who are dead to go to God for us - certainly not in order to persuade him!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't you just BREATHE the false dichotomies?

We just have to accept and more, endorse, embrace that some of us are formally hostile to us, deny that we are us, refuse us their communion.

God bless them.

If we are counter-hostile, hostile in response to their formal hostility, we are usually WORSE. I've certainly been.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

This idea of 'persuading' God to do anything smacks of the worst in Catholic, protestant and Orthodox ideologies and has no place in a mature prayer life - no matter your tradition.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
quote:

And reduces the role of the Holy Spirit as intercessor and the Son as mediator.

It also says something nasty about god's willingness to answer our prayers.
It also denies the loving and generous Fatherhood of God as revealed by Jesus who said, 'if you know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him.

Jesus said not one word - and neither did Paul or the apostles - about the supposed intercession of Mary or the saints.

Can you wonder why there is a Protestant church?
The God I read about in the Bible needs no 'saintly' intermediary: he hears my prayer perfectly well.

And as far as praying together here, or praying for one another, that is what we are asked to do. There is nothing about asking people who are dead to go to God for us - certainly not in order to persuade him!

But the Saints aren't dead, are they!
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

They are 'with Christ which is far better.' They are in eternity.

They are not omniscient, they are not able to hear the prayers of the faithful. How can Mary hear milions of prayers every day?

Nowhere in the Bible is there any hint that we can communicate with those who are with the Lord in heaven.
Nowhere in the Bible are we told that any saint, not even Mary, has greater access to God than we do.

We are told:

1. That we can come boldly to the throne of grace in prayer. (Hebrews 4:16)

2. That there is one mediator - the man Christ Jesus. (1 Tim 2:5)

3. That Jesus always lives to intercede for us. (Hebrews 7:25

4. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us with groans words can't express. (Romans 8:26,27)

5. The New Testament does, on numerous occasions, speak of the believers praying for one another, or for Paul specifically. But nowhere does any New Testament Christian exhort anyone else to ask those in heaven to pray for them. If it were possible i am sure that some would have mentioned it - John, for example, could quite easily have mentioned the 10 other disciples and Paul too, who had all died. Why did he not call upon any of them, not even Mary, in any exhortation to pray.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the idea, Mudfrog, is that the Saints are as, if not more, alive as the bloke next to you in church that you might ask to pray for you.

I don't think that either the RC or the Orthodox traditions are saying that God will only hear our prayers if we pray 'through' Mary or the Saints - as it were.

I once observed to an Orthodox Christian how, in the extremity of a serious car accident, as my car was careering off the motorway and mounting the crash-barrier, I only had time for one prayer - and all it consisted of was the name of Jesus. I wasn't taking his name in vain, but calling on him in my extremity.

He observed that the first instinct of an Orthodox Christian would be the same.

The invocation of Mary and the Saints is, of course, a matter of Tradition rather than something we can find chapter and verse for in the pages of the New Testament - although both RCs and Orthodox would argue that it is commensurate with the NT and by no means reduces the intermediary role of Christ nor the presence and comfort of God the Holy Spirit.

I'll leave them to handle that one, how it 'works' because I'm neither RC nor Orthodox - although, on a 'mild' level as it were, I don't particular have objections to the practice.

I think it can go OTT though, and there are some very troubling examples in popular devotion ... such as the habit of some Spanish peasants to lash statues of St Anthony (I think it is) when he apparently fails to recover items they've lost or misplaced ...

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

Gamaliel - I enjoy reading your posts and wish I could be as level headed as you often are. But sometimes the things you say so put me in mind of Revelation 3:16 - apologies if this is a Hellish post.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I don't dwell on the practice of praying to saints a great deal, but I do find it slightly interesting to consider the relationship to seances and mediums, which are often considered bad/questionable. The differences between the fundamental nature of the licit and illicit practices are not immediately apparent.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I can see that, Orfeo, but it is interesting, don't you think, that the contemporary Spiritualist movement started in Calvinistic New England? I've heard Orthodox say that this was nature abhorring a vacuum and filling in the gap with something dodgy.

I think there is a distinction to be made between 'official' RC and Orthodox practice in this regard and some popular devotional practices which do, it seems to me, stray into quasi-spiritualist territory.

But I'm no expert.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

It's a tad Hellish, loggats and I must say I'm disappointed in you. I can see, though, how a more balanced, 'Anglican' approach could appear that way to more full-on Catholic or Orthodox types - I'm used to that ... just as I'm used to similar accusations from a different direction among fundamentalist Protestants.

Ordinarily, I'd call you to Hell and give you the kind of drubbing you deserve and allow less measured folk than me to get their teeth into you. But as you've apologised and as you're new, I'll overlook it.

Next time though, I'll have no such qualms and call you to Hell for the casuistic, ultra-montane Papist prat you are ... if that doesn't sound too Hellish in return ...

[Razz] [Biased]

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

It's not part of my tradition as practised. So I might be wrong. But I don't think there's supposed to be any attempt to communicate with the saints - no table knocking or any of that sort of thing. I thought it was just asking them to intercede.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take it to Hell, Shipmates; neither threaten to do it, nor apologise in case it is, in Purgatory. Just do it or drop it. Them's the rules.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I'll drop it.

I'm nice that way ... [Biased] [Razz]

@Enoch - yes, that's my understanding too, no table-knocking or anything. Hagiographies do have appearances by Saints or the Blessed Virgin and so on - but I'm not sure these are meant to be normative.

I've heard some Orthodox talk as if they have some kind of ontological and experiential relationship with the Saints - and, if experience is anything to go by, I did feel a 'something', a presence if you like, when I once walked behind an Orthodox monk as he was venerating an icon ... but that might just be because icons are intrinsically mysterious and can give the impression that someone is looking out at you.

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
It's a tad Hellish, loggats and I must say I'm disappointed in you. I can see, though, how a more balanced, 'Anglican' approach could appear that way to more full-on Catholic or Orthodox types - I'm used to that ... just as I'm used to similar accusations from a different direction among fundamentalist Protestants.

Ordinarily, I'd call you to Hell and give you the kind of drubbing you deserve and allow less measured folk than me to get their teeth into you. But as you've apologised and as you're new, I'll overlook it.

Next time though, I'll have no such qualms and call you to Hell for the casuistic, ultra-montane Papist prat you are ... if that doesn't sound too Hellish in return ...

[Razz] [Biased]

Oh well. Glad to get an honest opinion out of you either way.

[ 06. May 2013, 18:11: Message edited by: loggats ]

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Sorry - so just exactly do 'the saints', including Mary of Nazareth, who are all in eternity, having passed into immortality out of time, listen to our prayers? How does Mary listen to the prayers of 100s of millions of Catholics on a daily basis?

Omniscience by proxy?
Or maybe, after the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption, the Pope will pontificate on Mary's new divine powers of hearing prayers and conveying them all accurately to the throne of Godhead, bypassing the Son and the Holy Spirit, who are evidently under-worked, as she does so.

What is it, a PA role for the BVM - "Here are your morning prayer requests, Heavenly Father, and you have a 2 O'Clock appointment with the Holy Father in St Peter's...Oh and your Son is outside - would you like me to ask him to wait until he's presented to you at the next Papal Mass?"

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

How does being able to hear our prayers equate with omniscience? Doesn't follow, if you ask me.
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

...further to my previous post:

This idea that the saints are able to hear our daily prayers implies, to me at any rate, a rather literalistic and simplistic view of the afterlife that is little more than a parallel existence running alongside our own, 'another room' if you will, from which the saints can see and hear what we do and say and then convey the details of our requests to God as if we needed them to do this.

They are not 'living' lives of hours and days like us so how on earth - or in heaven indeed - can they move into and take interest in temporal affairs?

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

I used omniscience in the sense of being able to know all things in the context of knowing all our prayers.
You could add omnipresent if you like - Mary is in every church where people are saying the rosary and listening to every word, in every church in the world.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Last time I looked, Mudfrog, the RCs weren't bypassing the Son and the Holy Spirit ... although I concede that it does sound like they are talking about a fourth member of the Trinity at times.

I'm not sure what purpose it serves to ponder how many aeons it would take the Virgin Mary to 'remember us sinners now and in the hour of our death,' for instance. I can see the grounds for your objection but I'd have thought that any objections would have to be based on scripture, reason and tradition (or Tradition) with experience thrown in, perhaps, rather than whether or not the maths adds up ...

But mileage varies.

As for loggats, I always give an honest answer.

If you are suggesting otherwise, I'll call you to Hell.

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

I think your post betrays the childish view of heaven.

If being in heaven were like being in the next room your objections would be valid. A mortal, unglorified person suffers restrictions imposed by space and time in our universe but the saints are not "in the next room," and are not subject to time/space limitations of this life.

There's a very good book by Frank Sheed called Theology and Sanity. In it, Sheed argues that sanity depends on an accurate appreciation of reality - and that includes an accurate appreciation of heaven.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I can see what you're getting at, Mudfrog, but I'm still not sure that's how the RCs, Orthodox and High Anglicans who invoke the prayers of the Saints see these things working out in practice ... although I'm sure it works out the way you describe at the more popular level - if that doesn't sound too patronising.

God is outside of time and there is, of course, a very rich vein in more Catholic traditions of how the temporal and eternal intersect - most notably and primarily in the eucharist.

So the Saints thing is part and parcel of that - all the Elect gathered around the table in time and space and in eternity.

That's how I understand it, any way, although I'd be hard-pressed to explain how these things work out 'on the ground.'

I certainly think it can be overdone, of course.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Last time I looked, Mudfrog, the RCs weren't bypassing the Son and the Holy Spirit ... although I concede that it does sound like they are talking about a fourth member of the Trinity at times.

I'm not sure what purpose it serves to ponder how many aeons it would take the Virgin Mary to 'remember us sinners now and in the hour of our death,' for instance. I can see the grounds for your objection but I'd have thought that any objections would have to be based on scripture, reason and tradition (or Tradition) with experience thrown in, perhaps, rather than whether or not the maths adds up ...

Well, I did quote Scripture further up this thread.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Yes, you did. I wasn't concerned about your application of scripture, but the rest of your argument seemed quite speculative - although I could understand the point you were making and what you were getting at.

It's a bit pointless, though, applying a sola-scriptura argument against people who don't hold a sola-scriptura position themselves.

It's analogous, but not entirely congruent, to loggats citing the Baltimore Confession or various Papal encyclicals to an audience that doesn't accept their authority.

I'm not saying that loggats doesn't accept the authority of scripture, of course, simply that scripture forms part of a suite of criteria he's using and which sits alongside Tradition - which holds that the invocation of the Saints is acceptable and indeed an efficacious thing to do.

Of course, this is ultimately a 'faith issue' and cannot be proven empirically one way or another. An RC can no more provide proof positive that their invocation of Mary or St Anthony or whichever other Saint we might mention was efficacious than you or I could 'prove' that our prayers to God the Father through Christ the Son in the power, one hopes, of the Holy Spirit are equally effective.

It's not the sort of thing we can assess that way.

'You had Mary, the Saints, 15 Hail Marys and 16 Our Fathers stacked up against my prayer to the Father in the name of Jesus ... therefore your prayer trumps mine ...'

I'm not sure any of us are saying it works that way.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:

erm...read my post again and you will see that my objection is to this childish view of heaven. The saints are NOT in the next room...

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
quote:

erm...read my post again and you will see that my objection is to this childish view of heaven. The saints are NOT in the next room...
You went on to describe what you think Catholics' believe about heaven (in a generally disparaging, completely inaccurate way) - that was the childish bit.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:
quote:

You went on to describe what you think Catholics' believe about heaven (in a generally disparaging, completely inaccurate way) - that was the childish bit.
It is actually a very common belief - that people are 'living' in a world that is parallel to ours. have you never heard that dreadful poem read at funerals -
quote:
Death is nothing at all

I have only slipped away into the next room...

...I am waiting for you for an interval

Somewhere very near

Just around the corner

And this isn't some women's magazine 'Patience strong type of guff, this was written by a clergyman! who I reckon should have known better.

This is the kind of populist belief that suggests one can talk to someone as if they are living life with you and around you and can take messages.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016