homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Zimmerman acquitted (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Zimmerman acquitted
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rescue is irrelevant regardless.
Few people are completely evil or good.
Say it is true that he rescued people, this changes nothing about the Martin incident. They are different situations.
And if he did participate in a ruse, this does not indicate he lied in court or in anyway did anything he says he did not.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

And if he did participate in a ruse, this does not indicate he lied in court or in anyway did anything he says he did not.

Would you not entertain the idea that someone who staged a rescue like this in order to make himself look good would have demonstrated his generally deceitful character, which would increase the chance that other self-serving statements he might make or might have made would be lies?

If it's a fake, the probability of him being a lying self-serving toerag goes up. If it's genuine, it tells you little.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Porridge [Overused] [Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the rescue:

I haven't researched it. But I don't think it's *necessarily* fake. Z was known to be helpful to people before he killed M. And he may well feel that he needs to balance the scales.

I don't think it's necessarily suspicious that the recipients are avoiding the limelight. Given all the tense feelings about Z, would you really want media attention turned on *you*??

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
We don't only kill people when we intend to kill them.

True. Sometimes a killing happens by accident, or through reckless disregard, or by neglect. I don't think Martin's death quite falls into any of these categories, though.

Zimmerman didn't "neglectfully" carry his gun into the situation; packing heat was apparently an habitual action with him (he was, after all, en route to the grocery store with it). While I personally might consider this action "reckless," carrying a concealed weapon is now legal in 50 states, so from a legal standpoint (IANAL) how can this be considered "reckless?" And certainly Martin's death was not an accident.

We seem to have created a new category of human-inflicted death whose primary characteristic appears to be impunity for the inflicter.

We did this by turning the concealed-carrying of weapons into a sort of community norm, and coupled that to the ambiguities inherent in SYG.

While SYG apparently played no role in Z's defense at trial, it does seem to have been the lens through which local police originally viewed the incident, which in turn seems to have affected the amount and quality of evidence gathered and the speed with which the incident was investigated.

It's possible that if local police were pursuing this investigation as a case of manslaughter (for example), and not self-defense under SYG, the prosecution might have had more, different, and prompter evidence on which to build a case. Again, IANAL; but if I get another chance to help repeal SYG in my own state, I will work hard to do so.

If I could repeal every concealed-carry law across this country (military and police excepted) I'd do that too.

With this I am in emphatic agreement.

Had this tragedy happened in many other places, the first question would be, why the heck are you carrying a gun?

In the USA, the only question is, have you got a permit. And I maintain, despite queries from Croesos and mousethief, that you CANNOT infer in the USA from 'I am currently carrying a gun' to 'I am currently intending to make use of that gun'. It is simply a habitual act to have it around, just in case, with no real expectation on a given occasion that the gun will in fact be used.

And having weapons around to come into play in unplanned situations is a recipe for tragedy.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And I maintain, despite queries from Croesos and mousethief, that you CANNOT infer in the USA from 'I am currently carrying a gun' to 'I am currently intending to make use of that gun'.

You're adding adverbs to what you said earlier that I responded to. In the United States this is referred to as "moving the goalposts."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
And I maintain, despite queries from Croesos and mousethief, that you CANNOT infer in the USA from 'I am currently carrying a gun' to 'I am currently intending to make use of that gun'.

You're adding adverbs to what you said earlier that I responded to. In the United States this is referred to as "moving the goalposts."
Perhaps when you were responding earlier you should have read my remarks in a manner that fitted the context I was making them instead of reading them in a way that was extremely literal but nonsensical. I looked at my post and your response and there were words there to give you clues (the word someday was perhaps the biggest clue of all), you just chose to ignore the parts of the sentence that would you point you away from the nuanced interpretation. In Australia this is called 'reading comprehension'.

[ 27. July 2013, 06:05: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. Here it's called "reading minds." And I don't do it. Say what you mean.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

The alternative is to suggest that Zimmerman's intention to maybe use a gun someday has any evidentiary value as to what happened on a particular day. And that's really, really silly. I carry my glasses case with me every day I wear my contact lenses, because there's a chance I may need to switch my glasses. That chance becomes a reality maybe 1 day in 200. It would be silly to point to a particular day and say that I intended to switch to my glasses that particular day. My intention is only a general one to switch to my glasses should the circumstance arise that I really need to.

Some vague notion that Zimmerman intended to use his gun if a circumstance arose that he needed to is nowhere NEAR enough to establish any intent by Zimmerman to use his gun on Trayvon Martin when he was trying to follow Trayvon Martin. It's a massive logical fallacy: you used your gun so therefore you were planning to use it. The only time you can confidently say that Zimmerman was planning to use his gun was in the last couple of seconds he was reaching for it. Any intent before that is entirely speculative.

And on the evidence available, that decision in those last couple of seconds is pretty easy to justify. I think the decision to have a gun available at that moment is unfortunate, and I think the laws making it easy to have a gun available at that moment are wrong, but I can't fault Zimmerman for choosing to use the gun in those couple of seconds, and there's simply nothing to prove that he had been intending to use it any earlier.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't questions of premeditation only apply to first degree murder, something Zimmerman wasn't charged with? Making a decision "in the last couple of seconds" is pretty much the legal textbook definition of second degree murder.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Don't questions of premeditation only apply to first degree murder, something Zimmerman wasn't charged with? Making a decision "in the last couple of seconds" is pretty much the legal textbook definition of second degree murder.

But it's not the picture you're all trying to paint of Zimmerman, is it? I keep reading about how his earlier actions are to blame for the situation. And they are, but not in a sense that is meaningful to a murder charge.

And any case for a murder charge from those last couple of seconds falls apart. There isn't much evidence, but what evidence there is is consistent with Zimmetman's account. Martin on top of him and trying to hurt him.

There are plenty of other cases of blacks being shot that are far more concerning in terms of the legal liability of the shooter. The only reason this one became a celebrity event is because the police, knowing more facts than 'man shoots teenager', came to the same conclusion the jury did: teenager had taken matters into his own hands EVERY BIT AS MUCH as the shooter had.

If you don't want to be shot, one thing to avoid is to bang the head of an armed man into the ground.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
. . . teenager had taken matters into his own hands EVERY BIT AS MUCH as the shooter had.

. . . and there's the elephant in the living room which many of us overlook in our haste to point out the enormous inequality of outcomes (teen dies; shooter not only acquitted, but in some quarters hailed as hero).

It's also the point that, whether or not we think SYG played any substantial role in this case, makes SYG such a terrible law.

Where two individuals, at that moment breaking no law, are on "the ground," whose is that "ground?" (Note the name by which the law is commonly referred to -- stand YOUR ground.) Which of them can legitimately claim that ground is theirs to stand? In the traditional "castle" doctrine, this is clear: the legitimate owner or resident of the "castle" has the clear, higher, right to be there and defend ground that is plainly "his;" an intruder has no such right. Once we move this doctrine into public territory, this clear demarcation vanishes.

Where two individuals each have, or believe they have, reason to suspect the other, which of them is legitimately "standing" that ground? (I think you're stalking me; you think I'm casing the joint -- and, the particulars of this case set aside, both suspicions may have merit, or neither suspicion may have merit.)

Why isn't "retreat," where that's possible, a simpler, safer, better, more reasonable alternative to confronting a possible threat? Why isn't it held as a necessary condition to meet before any "standing" of any "ground" is allowed to come into play? Indeed, why suddenly has "retreat" apparently been demoted from its true status -- a perfectly legitimate means of self-defense?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(I think you're stalking me; you think I'm casing the joint -- and, the particulars of this case set aside, both suspicions may have merit, or neither suspicion may have merit.)

I think it's certainly possibly to construct a scenario where each man "stood his ground" and escalated the conflict to the point where one man ended up dead, without any crime having been committed under Florida law. Which just seems wrong.

Without SYG, I don't think you can construct such a scenario - without SYG, at the very least, the person who initiated physical violence would find it very hard to claim that he couldn't run away.

Without SYG, it is still possible to construct scenarios in which the Zimmerman character commits no crime - such a scenario may well start with the Z character asking "what are you doing around here?" whereupon he is jumped by the Martin character and has no chance to escape.

Also without SYG, one can construct scenarios in which both the Z and M characters are guilty of crimes (because either has the opportunity to break off the conflict, but doesn't) and I think one can also construct a scenario where the Z character commits a crime, but M does not (for example, if M believes that he is being assaulted by someone who is intending to use his gun, it is reasonable to pound him into insensibility or otherwise disarm him in order to defend against being shot whilst attempting to flee.) The latter is probably the hardest one to argue, unless the Z character has already fired his weapon.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian: It seems like the only "safe" way to behave is to suspect literally everyone of being a potential criminal.

Am I right?

No, that's called paranoia, and they have medication for it these days.
The medicine apparently doesn't help with getting irony, does it? :-)
I think you inadvertently, managed to confirm Marvin's point.

Logically there are only three alternatives:

a) Either one suspect a selection of people. That logically involves profiling of some sort.

or

b) The I-can't-know option: Not suspect anyone. In practice this means looking the other way. It also means that after a crime one can wash one's hands in innocence because one did nothing, i.e. nothing wrong.

or

c) The paranoid option: Suspect everbody equally in order to avoid profiling.

You excluded Option (a) because profiling is discriminatory.
So which do you opt for, (b) or (c) ?

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or option D, suspect someone when there's some evidence of guilt.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:

b) The I-can't-know option: Not suspect anyone. In practice this means looking the other way. It also means that after a crime one can wash one's hands in innocence because one did nothing, i.e. nothing wrong.

[Confused] Huh?

It appears you've left out yet another option: don't suspect anybody and have no crime committed, in which case there was no need to look the other way, or do any handwashing, and in which case suspecting anybody would have been a waste of the suspector's energy.

True, I don't live in Frankfurt, which apparently has a high crime rate among German cities. But seriously: how often have you been the victim of theft, Sylvander?

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have come across a summary at this site of Zimmermann's calls to the police. Here is the introduction and the list:
quote:

I have translated police codes and lingo to normal English as best I can. Whenever race/ethnicity is mentioned in the call log, I have included it here (any omissions are unintentional; if you discover any, please let me know so that I can correct this post).

A note about the number of calls GZ made. I’ve listed 43 incidents over about 7.5 years. (In a few cases, GZ called the operator back to provide additional information or to cancel the report, and that generated perhaps something closer to 46 calls, but I have chosen to focus on incidents.) On several occasions, I have seen vastly different claims about both the total number of calls GZ made and the time span over which he made them (e.g., “Zimmerman…called 911 46 times in 15 months” and “Zimmerman called…over 150 times. I have not seen evidence of any additional calls made by GZ to either 911 or the non-emergency number, and all of the calls introduced into evidence by the state at his trial came from the 43 incidents I catalog here. But if there are other calls that should be included in the calculus, I will be happy to learn about them and update this post.

8/12/04: Reports male driving pick-up without car seat
9/20/04: Neighbor’s garage door open
8/20/04: Reports white male walking in the road carrying a paper bag, presumably drinking
3/17/05: Pothole
4/27/05: Neighbor’s garage door open
9/21/05: Stray dog
9/23/05: Couldn’t reach his sister by phone
11/4/06: Reports pick-up driving around apartment complex for last five minutes “driving real slow looking at all the vehicles in the complex and blasting music”
6/24/07: Two Hispanic males and one white male loitering near pool; officer spoke to them and determined were locked out of their vehicle
10/14/07: Possible intentional damage to his car tire; thinks he knows who did it
11/25/07: Reports disturbance involving his ex-roommate, a white male
1/5/09: Fire alarm going off
3/12/09: Requests patrol outside his home for a week while he’s away
5/4/09: Reports blue Audi; unclear why
6/10/09: Fire alarm going off
6/16/09: People jumping over the fence and going into the pool area, playing basketball, trashing the bathroom; reports make and model of car
8/21/09: Disturbance involving landlord over rent and foreclosure
8/26/09: Male driving without headlights
9/7/09: Pothole
9/22/09: Speed bike doing wheelies, speeding and weaving in and out of traffic
10/23/09: Pitbull
11/21/09: Referring to unclear past event, GZ says subject is in front of his residence
11/3/09: White male driver in county vehicle cutting people off
1/1/10: White male having loud verbal dispute with female in back of pick-up
1/12/10: Neighbor’s garage door open, “very unlike his neighbor”
2/27/10: Reports residence in complex where multiple vehicles are constantly coming to the residence; unknown subjects run out to the vehicles and run back inside; the subjects are always outside with the garage open and hang out all night, an ongoing problem; unknown who lives at that address; GZ advises there are constantly different people
4/28/10: Vehicle obstructing road
6/12/10: At least 50 subjects GZ doesn’t think live at complex are in the clubhouse & pool areas having a party, causing road obstructions
6/26/10: Approximately 50 subjects are having a loud party and blocking the street
10/2/10: Female driver yelling at elderly passengers, unknown if altercation is physical, vehicle was rocking back and forth
11/8/10: Trash in roadway, appears to contain glass
11/26/10: Motion alarm tripped while GZ is out of town
3/18/11: Pitbull in his garage
4/22/11: Black male 7-9 years old walking alone unsupervised on busy street; GZ “concerned for well being”
5/27/11: GZ’s alarm tripped while he’s at work
8/3/11: Black male on foot at back entrance of neighborhood last seen wearing white tank top and black shorts; GZ believes he’s involved in recent burglaries in neighborhood; GZ says he matches the description that was given to police
8/6/11: Two black male teens near back gate of neighborhood, one wearing black tank top and black shorts, 2nd wearing black t-shirt and jeans; GZ says they’re the ones who have been burglarizing the area and predicts subjects will run into the subdivision next to his complex
9/23/11: Open garage door; GZ notes he’s part of neighborhood watch and is concerned about recent burglaries in area; had a neighborhood watch meeting previous night with Sgt. Herx who advised him to report anything suspicious
10/1/11: Two black males approx 20-30 years old appear to be loitering in their car at gate of community at 1 am; GZ doesn’t recognize subjects or vehicle and is concerned due to recent burglaries in the area
12/10/11: White male with shaved head at club house in black Mercedes was hired by GZ to serve food at an event but then GZ replaced him and subject seemed upset and wants to be paid; GZ has never met him in person; GZ’s wife will meet with police when they arrive
1/29/12: Five or six kids, ages 4-11 years, running and playing in the street and running out in front of cars
2/2/12: Black male wearing black leather jacket, black hat, and printed PJ pants keeps going to the residence of a white male; unclear what he’s doing; subject was gone when police arrived
2/26/12 [TRAYVON MARTIN]: Black male, late teens, dark gray hoodie, jeans or sweatpants, walking around area; GZ concerned about recent burglaries

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
True, I don't live in Frankfurt, which apparently has a high crime rate among German cities. But seriously: how often have you been the victim of theft, Sylvander?

Maybe that is the difference between us. I care about the crime that could or does happen to others, too. I guess because I believe in old-fashioned concepts like "community" and "society" and "responsibility for the common good".
But since you ask: During two years in central Frankfurt I was victim of one burglary and four thefts, not counting theft, drug-dealing, a robbery, an attempted gay bashing and a shooting I witnessed (the latter is admittedly rare).
I then moved to a suburb (an 8,500 people village in fact). The locals are more perceptive and attentive than I, some "watching TV" outside their front window for hours on end. I suspect they are more bent on watching each other's other-sex visitors - but that means they also spot the odd burglar and stare him/her away... . So the rate of burglaries was below average. Would such an SNW (Sedentary Neighbourhood Watch) find your approval :-)?
Still, within twelve months we had four armed robberies of the post office, one of the super market and a 75-year-old local farmer was almost shot dead when he surprised a burglar in the barn (unlike his body, his soul never recovered until he died). And yep, "ethnic minority" was a factor with all the crimes where suspects were described or culprits caught. Some people think it is racist to even know let alone mention this. But mentioning they were all male is ok.
I don't know how often the police were called for nothing (rarely, I guess, it's not the culture here), but I'd have more respect for the erroneous callers than for the people who denigrate them as "busybodies", thus discouraging them.

quote:
[Confused] Huh?
It appears you've left out yet another option: don't suspect anybody and have no crime committed,

Your way of looking away apparently has a magic quality. In my world when I look away (into books mostly), crime simply continues to happen.
So I ask you again (and all others who criticize the unavoidable "profiling" of option (a) as racist) to give a rational answer: Option (b) or (c), which is it?

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Or option D, suspect someone when there's some evidence of guilt.

By the time there's evidence of guilt the crime has already been committed, making it too late to try to prevent it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, please. She phrased it poorly, but you likely understood the intent.

Try this: Notice suspicious activity. I.e. looking in windows or over hedges, testing doors, etc.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Try this: Notice suspicious activity. I.e. looking in windows or over hedges, testing doors, etc.

We've already had one person on this thread arguing that someone looking in windows may just be after interior design tips or looking for a place to stay the night. I'm sure similar "not doing anything wrong" excuses can be made for the other two as well.

For those who think we shouldn't seek to look after one another, there's simply nothing that's suspicious enough to justify our intervening to protect life/property. These are the people who think the only valid way of preventing crime is to let it fucking happen, then hope the police can find the culprit afterwards.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
a) Either one suspect a selection of people. That logically involves profiling of some sort.

quote:
And yep, "ethnic minority" was a factor with all the crimes where suspects were described or culprits caught.

That second follows logically from the first since you've decided that, by definition, certain ethnic groups cannot be criminals and are automatically above suspicion.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
By the time there's evidence of guilt the crime has already been committed, making it too late to try to prevent it.

So . . . summary execution by armed vigilantes and it's "problem solved"?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
quote:

So . . . summary execution by armed vigilantes and it's "problem solved"?
Yes, of course. There is absolutely no option between "do nothing" and "shoot the fuckers on sight". There is no such thing as a non-lethal means of defending oneself or one's neighbours.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Yes, of course. There is absolutely no option between "do nothing" and "shoot the fuckers on sight". There is no such thing as a non-lethal means of defending oneself or one's neighbours.

Well, not in this specific case apparently. Otherwise "these assholes they always get away".

[ 29. July 2013, 16:00: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
quote:

Well, not in this specific case apparently. Otherwise "these assholes they always get away".
Oh, are we back to the "Zimmerman hunted Martin down and shot him in cold blood" thing? It's funny, I could have sworn there's been 15 pages of thread where people have debunked that idea.

Handy hint: keeping an eye on someone isn't the same thing as gunning them down. Not even in this specific case.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Oh, are we back to the "Zimmerman hunted Martin down and shot him in cold blood" thing? It's funny, I could have sworn there's been 15 pages of thread where people have debunked that idea.

Except for "in cold blood", that's more or less what happened. Zimmerman "hunted Martin down" (or whatever verb you prefer to use for the kind of pursuit involved) and he shot Martin. These don't really seem to be facts in dispute. What we've established is that a lot of people think it was totally reasonable for Zimmerman to pursue/stalk/hunt/whatever Martin, but that's not the same as pretending it didn't happen.

quote:
Handy hint: keeping an eye on someone isn't the same thing as gunning them down. Not even in this specific case.

Pursuing someone both in a vehicle and on foot while "keeping an eye on" them is functionally indistinguishable from hunting for them.

[ 29. July 2013, 16:17: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pursuing someone both in a vehicle and on foot while "keeping an eye on" them is functionally indistinguishable from hunting for them.

My emphasis. Two further words will suffice: manifest bullshit.

[ 29. July 2013, 21:42: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would consider a stranger who followed me through my neighbourhood in a car and then on foot to be very suspicious. Anyone else?
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Suspicious? I'd be scared s**tless.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Maybe that is the difference between us. I care about the crime that could or does happen to others, too. I guess because I believe in old-fashioned concepts like "community" and "society" and "responsibility for the common good".

Oddly enough, I also believe in "community" and "society" and "responsibility for the common good."

The real difference between us seems to be this: who belongs to your "community?" Your "society?"

Who belongs to mine?

To what community do those Gypsy kids belong?

See, it might be down to the work I do; I deal all day with people who look and act and talk (IF they talk) funny. You should see the looks they get when they go into a store. Reactions to my clients run the gamut, to paraphrase Dorothy Parker, from Y to Z: fear, bewilderment, repugnance, etc. Yet they are members of "the community," or at least they long to be. But (when I or my staff are not lurking in the background) they get yelled at, or called names, or chased away, or laughed at, or hustled out. Sometimes they even get abused (usually not in stores -- on the street).

So our "suspicion meters" might be calibrated differently.

Imagine getting reactions like that on a frequent basis, though -- that as you proceed along the street on your own business, whatever that might be -- perfect strangers who know nothing about you start clutching their purses, or taking their lawn chairs and pets inside, or locking their doors and windows. Will you feel you're a member of this "community?"

[ 30. July 2013, 02:37: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Croesos

Do you think the evidence was sufficient to find Zimmerman guilty of second degree murder? If you do, then I guess I can see the point of the use of 'hunting down' rather than the less pejorative 'following'. In short, you may see some kind of felonious intention at work. Not necessarily murderous at the start (which implies first degree murder). But felonious in some degree?

Isn't this the crux of the legal argument? I think it highly likely that his following was influenced by an overly suspicious state of mind. And a good argument can be advanced that there was prejudice at work. But I cannot see that makes him guilty of murder in any degree under the laws at work in the US.

In short, his state of mind may well have been reprehensible, but that does not make it criminal.

[ 30. July 2013, 04:59: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

In short, his state of mind may well have been reprehensible, but that does not make it criminal.

Can this be divorced from the fact that it led to a criminal act?

His state of mind led to the taking of a life, which in no way could be construed as an accident.

In my story upthread (in San Francisco), if the neighbours hadn't called the police and taken 'matters' into their own hands, the outcome could easily have been the same.

As it turned out the 'suspicious' person was the new postman - and the only thing which made them suspicious of him was his skin colour. They told us this.

[Frown]

[ 30. July 2013, 06:46: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Boogie--

Was the postman wearing his uniform???

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Except for "in cold blood", that's more or less what happened. Zimmerman "hunted Martin down" (or whatever verb you prefer to use for the kind of pursuit involved) and he shot Martin. These don't really seem to be facts in dispute. What we've established is that a lot of people think it was totally reasonable for Zimmerman to pursue/stalk/hunt/whatever Martin, but that's not the same as pretending it didn't happen.

The evidence we have is that Zimmerman tried to track Martin, but failed. There is no evidence at all that he hunted Martin down.

[ 30. July 2013, 07:25: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Can this be divorced from the fact that it led to a criminal act?

His state of mind led to the taking of a life, which in no way could be construed as an accident.

In my story upthread (in San Francisco), if the neighbours hadn't called the police and taken 'matters' into their own hands, the outcome could easily have been the same.

As it turned out the 'suspicious' person was the new postman - and the only thing which made them suspicious of him was his skin colour. They told us this.

[Frown]

By stating that it led to a criminal act you are begging the question. I'm going to repeat this because it seems all too easy for people to forget: killing is NOT in and of itself a crime. We do NOT have laws that make you absolutely liable for killing someone regardless of the circumstances.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

By stating that it led to a criminal act you are begging the question. I'm going to repeat this because it seems all too easy for people to forget: killing is NOT in and of itself a crime. We do NOT have laws that make you absolutely liable for killing someone regardless of the circumstances.

Killing people for being black certainly is a crime. Insulting people for being black is too.

(Sorry - I messed up the code here)

[ 30. July 2013, 09:28: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
quote:

Except for "in cold blood", that's more or less what happened. Zimmerman "hunted Martin down" (or whatever verb you prefer to use for the kind of pursuit involved) and he shot Martin. These don't really seem to be facts in dispute.
That is why "hunted down" is not the correct phrase to use - it means that the whole point of following him was to shoot him, because that's what a hunter does. It twists the facts to fit your own narrative. By choosing to use that phrase, you are flat-out stating that Zimmerman's intent from the very start was to shoot Martin. You are claiming a motivational link between the following and the shooting that was not present.

quote:
What we've established is that a lot of people think it was totally reasonable for Zimmerman to pursue/stalk/hunt/whatever Martin, but that's not the same as pretending it didn't happen.
A lot of people think it was reasonable to keep an eye on Martin, because a lot of us think it's reasonable to seek to prevent criminals from having the free run of our neighbourhoods and we adknowledge that suspicion, by its very nature, will occasionally fall upon those who are actually innocent.

The problem is that you keep jumping straight from that to claiming that we're advocating summary execution of anyone acting suspiciously. I don't know why you're making that leap, but it is utterly unjustified and, frankly, dishonest.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
]A lot of people think it was reasonable to keep an eye on Martin, because a lot of us think it's reasonable to seek to prevent criminals from having the free run of our neighbourhoods and we adknowledge that suspicion, by its very nature, will occasionally fall upon those who are actually innocent.

The problem is that you keep jumping straight from that to claiming that we're advocating summary execution of anyone acting suspiciously. I don't know why you're making that leap, but it is utterly unjustified and, frankly, dishonest.

Because carrying guns/knives/any kind of weapons can so easily lead to just that in the heat of an adrenaline fear filled moment - especially one stoked by many the imaginings of a vigilante mentality.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Because carrying guns/knives/any kind of weapons can so easily lead to just that in the heat of an adrenaline fear filled moment - especially one stoked by many the imaginings of a vigilante mentality.

No, there remains a SIGNIFICANT difference between providing for self-defence in the event that your suspicions prove to be true and the suspect attacks you and carrying a weapon in order to kill the suspect.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
carrying guns/knives/any kind of weapons can so easily lead to just that in the heat of an adrenaline fear filled moment - especially one stoked by many the imaginings of a vigilante mentality.

I totally agree.

And so the villain here is US law & culture, NOT Zimmerman. He is simply one of many thousands of people who continue to operate (legally) within those parameters, specifically

- Vigilante culture
- Legality of too many weapons, and the 'right' to be armed
- Racism and prejudice

My frustration with the focus being placed on Zimmerman, that he's to blame, he should be in prison etc. is that it ignores two of the three elephants in the room above.

The third elephant (racism) is talked about, but only seemingly in a "was Zimmerman racist, was he not?", again ignoring the more important issue that in general black people get a rawer deal in the criminal system than whites, and so on.

I mean, we had a couple of pages discussing the statistics of whether or not Zimmerman was racist/ageist/sexist to only inform the police on young black males (which lilbuddha's link told us was the case).

Then moo shares a much more comprehensive link detailing the specific calls, and lo and behold, there were plenty of calls he made regarding white people, even one woman. So the whole debate on whether Zimmerman was right or not to "only report black males" is most likely redundant.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation around this case, one report says one thing, one says another. ISTM that different people on both sides of the argument want to hijack this story to tell the narrative that they want to tell, and are quite happy to twist the truth, or even make things up to fit that narrative.

And as a result, the more important issues that this case points towards get sidelined, and it just becomes an argument about how much of a bogeyman Zimmerman is.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Goperryrevs, I could not agree more.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:

The third elephant (racism) is talked about, but only seemingly in a "was Zimmerman racist, was he not?", again ignoring the more important issue that in general black people get a rawer deal in the criminal system than whites, and so on.

It's also about whether a black person in such a context might reasonably perceive racism in a white person's words or actions even if none might be intended. This is also part of the problem. Recall the "cracker" comment by Martin, a term traditionally used by blacks about whites who are seen as racists.

None of us can ever be entirely free of the effects of racism in a society where the social "rules of the road" have so long shaped by racism.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I fail to see how Martin could have known enough about Zimmerman to label him a racist.

Also, hasn't Moo already pointed out that Martin probably said a longer word, not just cracker?

Also, Zimmerman isn't white. Not in normal American terminology.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrev
There seems to be a lot of misinformation around this case, one report says one thing, one says another. ISTM that different people on both sides of the argument want to hijack this story to tell the narrative that they want to tell, and are quite happy to twist the truth, or even make things up to fit that narrative.

The media are responsible for a lot of this. In some cases they even tampered with the evidence to make Zimmermann appear evil.

When Zimmermann notified the police when he first saw Martin, he said that a man was loitering in the rain and acting in a peculiar manner. He said Martin might be on drugs. He said nothing about race. When the dispatcher asked whether the man was white, black, or Hispanic, Zimmermann answered, "He looks black." NBC news edited this to remove the dispatcher's question. Zimmermann's statement about the race of the man was made to appear as part of the beginning of the call.

Another news source (I forget which) altered the photos showing Zimmermann's injuries to make it appear that the injuries were very slight.

Recently The New Republic published an article about all of Zimmermann's phone calls to the dispatchers. The article said that Zimmermann had reported a seven-year-old black boy as being a suspicious character. In fact, Zimmermann's call makes it clear that he was concerned for the welfare of this child walking along a busy street. After a lot of complaints, the magazine printed a correction.

Many media reporters approach a specific situation with the story already written. They're sure they know what happened or they are so eager to advance the causes they care about that they are completely indifferent to truth and accuracy. I saw that first-hand after the Virginia Tech shootings.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I fail to see how Martin could have known enough about Zimmerman to label him a racist.

Also, hasn't Moo already pointed out that Martin probably said a longer word, not just cracker?

Anyway, I've always thought of cracker just being used for whites in general, can be derogatory, but not aimed specifically at white racists. A bit like goreh.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:
Because carrying guns/knives/any kind of weapons can so easily lead to just that in the heat of an adrenaline fear filled moment - especially one stoked by the many imaginings of a vigilante mentality.

No, there remains a SIGNIFICANT difference between providing for self-defence in the event that your suspicions prove to be true and the suspect attacks you and carrying a weapon in order to kill the suspect.
No difference whatever to the person who ends up dead because of it.

[ 30. July 2013, 12:37: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:

Exactly the point, orfeo. He didn't. Neither person in this incident knew enough about the other to draw the conclusions each of them drew.

Zimmerman saw Martin as a burglar in the absence of any evidence Martin actually was one. Martin saw Zimmerman as a "white-ass cracker" in the absence of any evidence Zimmerman actually was one.

When you pour cake batter into a loaf pan, your cake comes out as a loaf. If you pour the exact same batter into a round pan, you get a round cake. Our expectations/biases/prejudices, any and/or all of them, are shaped by the social context in which we "bake." In a society long afflicted with (and in some ways built upon) racism, our individual thoughts and actions are often shaped, unconsciously, by racism -- and we're all, black, white, purple, green, victims of that racism (though we are victimized in very different ways).

quote:

Also, Zimmerman isn't white. Not in normal American terminology.

"White-ass" is an intensifier adjective for "cracker." "Cracker" is an epithet meaning "ignorant racist white." "White-ass" is just a way of intensifying the contempt intended in the epithet "cracker." It's the functional equivalent of saying (with regard to a black person), "fucking nigger" instead of just "nigger."

The fact that M saw Z as white speaks to (A) Z was a stranger to M, and (B) it was dark and raining and things happened fairly fast in an adrenaline-heightened atmosphere, and (C) Z is inarguably paler in complexion than M.

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
quote:
carrying guns/knives/any kind of weapons can so easily lead to just that in the heat of an adrenaline fear filled moment - especially one stoked by many the imaginings of a vigilante mentality.

I totally agree.

And so the villain here is US law & culture, NOT Zimmerman. He is simply one of many thousands of people who continue to operate (legally) within those parameters, specifically

- Vigilante culture
- Legality of too many weapons, and the 'right' to be armed
- Racism and prejudice

I completely agree that the legal landscape of much of the US is an "unindicted co-conspirator" in this tragedy. However, I do not agree that therefore Z is without guilt. In my younger days, I used to carry a concealed weapon. It made me considerably more aggressive than I would have been without the weapon on me. I suspect that Z would not have been following M were he not packing heat. But our responsibility is to recognize how these things affect us, and structure our lives in a manner that avoids needless excess on our part. For example, I stopped carrying a weapon once I had had a chance to reflect on how it was making me act. The fact that it was legal for me to carry one was not an excuse for me being an a**hole.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
However, I do not agree that therefore Z is without guilt. In my younger days, I used to carry a concealed weapon. It made me considerably more aggressive than I would have been without the weapon on me. I suspect that Z would not have been following M were he not packing heat. But our responsibility is to recognize how these things affect us, and structure our lives in a manner that avoids needless excess on our part. For example, I stopped carrying a weapon once I had had a chance to reflect on how it was making me act. The fact that it was legal for me to carry one was not an excuse for me being an a**hole.

I agree with that, Tom. I don't think Zimmerman was blameless, but the limit of that guilt was (as you say) being an asshole, not criminal guilt. I think that anyone who carries a gun (or a knife, or any weapon) for "self-defence" should it ever be required is an asshole, because doing so simply increases the likelihood of a fatal tragedy occurring.

In the UK, the legal system seems to understand that, so, for example it's illegal to even carry a knife without good reason. There doesn't have to be any proof of intent to use. ISTM the US legal system is a long way behind our more civilised attitude in this.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
For example, I stopped carrying a weapon once I had had a chance to reflect on how it was making me act. --Tom Clune

[Overused]

Another co-conspirator in US culture is its tendency to encourage reaction rather than reflection. Thank you for being counter-cultural.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016