homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Zimmerman acquitted (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Zimmerman acquitted
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
I would say it's risky, especially if you're not a cop.

Very risky, yes. Foolhardy, even. But that doesn't negate your right to defend yourself should the risk become a clear and present danger, as some here seem to be suggesting.
I suppose one solution is for black kids to go armed, then if someone pulls a gun on them, in the middle of a fight, they have a chance to pull theirs faster. Isn't that the logic of carrying guns?
A better solution would be to not start a fight in the first place. Someone's following you? OK, be wary and alert, and try to get to a safe place. Don't turn around and punch them in the face, especially if you're in a country where they might very well be carrying a gun and, if so, are legally permitted to use it in self-defence.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Marvin the Martian: It would appear that some people here think that no ordinary citizen should ever attempt to stop a crime
I think that no ordinary citizen should ever attempt to stop a crime by following a suspect with a gun. If you think you need a gun for stopping this crime, then it is something you should leave to the professionals.
Well yes, I personally agree about the "with a gun" part, mostly because I don't think carrying a gun should be legal at all.

For now, how about you let me know whether you do indeed think that no ordinary citizen should ever attempt to stop a crime. Once you've provided that answer, we can go on to discuss which perfectly legal items that you may have on your person can legitimately be used to that end. Sound fair?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin:
quote:
It would appear that some people here think that no ordinary citizen should ever attempt to stop a crime...
The first thing you are taught on any first-aid course is that you should not attempt to give first-aid if doing so would put you in danger. If the person you want to give first aid to is brandishing a knife, for example, you must persuade them to put the knife down before approaching them.

Of course, if the person bleeding to death is someone you love you may forget about the guidelines or decide to ignore them; then the emergency services will probably have two casualties to deal with instead of just one.

In this case, the result was two casualties (including one fatality) in a (possibly) well-meant effort to prevent a (non-existent) crime.

Oh, and what LeRoc said - with the caveat that even the professionals have been known to make mistakes.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I would say it's risky, especially if you're not a cop.

Very risky, yes. Foolhardy, even. But that doesn't negate your right to defend yourself should the risk become a clear and present danger, as some here seem to be suggesting.
I suppose one solution is for black kids to go armed, then if someone pulls a gun on them, in the middle of a fight, they have a chance to pull theirs faster. Isn't that the logic of carrying guns?
A better solution would be to not start a fight in the first place. Someone's following you? OK, be wary and alert, and try to get to a safe place. Don't turn around and punch them in the face, especially if you're in a country where they might very well be carrying a gun and, if so, are legally permitted to use it in self-defence.
Sensible advice. I don't know what you were like when you were 17, but I would have laughed in your face.

You could also say, that if you are going to follow someone, try not to follow 17 year olds, as they tend to be prickly fuckers.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Whatever happened to the "militia' in the Second Amendment? Whatever happened to the "well-regulated" part?

A good case has been made that the main purpose of the Second Amendment, as seen by the Founders, was to preserve state control of the slave patrols, armed white men who would make sure that anyone with black skin wasn't anywhere he wasn't supposed to be. Quite frankly, Zimmerman was acting in complete harmony with the Second Amendment.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
I don't know what you were like when you were 17, but I would have laughed in your face.

I got in a few fights when I was that age, sure. But I never started any - I never threw the first punch. And that's the factor that makes all the difference in this discussion, ISTM.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Marvin the Martian: For now, how about you let me know whether you do indeed think that no ordinary citizen should ever attempt to stop a crime.
In the Netherlands, my possibilities as an ordinary citizen to attempt to stop a crime are rather limited. What I'm allowed to do is to seek a safe distance and call the police, and that's pretty much it. The reason for this policy is that they don't want everyone to go thinking they're Sonny Crockett and entering situations that they can't control, because this could lead to... well, to the mess we're seeing here in Florida.

I have no problems with this policy.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ldjjd:
In the eyes of a typical 17 year old youth these days, a quite possible sexual predator, and in the eyes of a 17 year old African American youth, either a potential predator or hate crime perpretator.

There is no evidence that Martin thought Zimmermann might be a sexual predator. The idea has arisen because of a misinterpretation of what Martin said on the phone to his girlfriend.

Martin said that Zimmermann was 'a creepy white-ass cracker'. 'cracker' is a derogatory term for a Southern white. 'white-ass' is another derogatory term. Someone who did not know the meaning of the word 'cracker' reinterpreted this as 'creepy white ass-cracker', 'ass-cracker' meaning gay. I have never heard 'ass-cracker' and I suspect Martin hadn't either. He was using a vocabulary common to his social group.

quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister
All I can say is that my male relatives have been subjected to suspicion by police and citizenry alike, sometimes to the point of violence, for simply being muscular black men.

It is true that black men are frequently mistreated in this way. It is outrageous that this should be the case.

However, I don't think that is what was going on in this case. First, Zimmermann was not certain of Martin's race at the beginning. Secondly, Martin was loitering on a rainy night in a neighborhood where there had been recent break-ins and home invasions. I think that a person of any race would have become an object of suspicion under the circumstances.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I don't know what you were like when you were 17, but I would have laughed in your face.

I got in a few fights when I was that age, sure. But I never started any - I never threw the first punch. And that's the factor that makes all the difference in this discussion, ISTM.
Yes, but you don't really think that if I start a fight, I should be killed, do you? However, we are now talking about gun control, I suppose, so I go back to my earlier point, why should Trayvon not have a gun also?

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
All I can say is that my male relatives have been subjected to suspicion by police and citizenry alike, sometimes to the point of violence, for simply being muscular black men. Everyone in my family is university educated with very successful careers and no one has a criminal record.

The Trayvon Martin story, legal issues aside, is simply a very scary one for anyone with a black male loved one. Because whether or not Zimmerman was found guilty, Trayvon is dead. It can happen (and does happen) to any black man in America.

My male relative (son) has been stopped by the police and questioned dozens of time. When we lived in the country it was almost every time he tried to go for a walk. After one of these incidents he told me he had noticed a woman watching him from a certain house shortly before the police came so I drove over to politely ask that her, "Why?" It seems that when my son walked by, on the road, in his shorts and running shoes, empty handed -- her dog had barked more than usual. She also told me that a few years earlier she had spotted some men taking lumber from a building site, called the police and stopped a theft. Clearly, a proud crime stopper had been born that day.

One day, when he was sixteen and driving to baseball practice, another would-be policeman followed him in his car, motioning him to pull over, pulling up beside him and grinning. My son turned around and drove home where the man followed him. My son was ashen faced with fear. The driver told a neighbor he had "caught" my son driving without a license. The neighbor said, "He has a license, he's sixteen." The follower said, "Well he doesn't look that old," and drove off.

My white son has been arrested and jailed for loitering. He has been pulled over and arrested for drunk driving (deserved.)He has foolishly run from the police and warning shots were fired. He has been beaten up by gangs and mugged for his wallet -- no one ever caught or charged. Like your relatives he is also college educated, clean cut and conservatively dressed, but not muscular at all. He does now have a record.

I'm not saying racial profiling doesn't exist but I think lots of African Americans are under the impression that white people are given a pass, that every time a policeman, or neighborhood watcher looks at them it's because of their skin color. Police have to use their common sense. Statistics and experience tell them that young men are more likely to commit crimes than old ladies with canes. So, like it or not, they are going to be noticed more by the police.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Rainy nights? Fuck, we made a point of loitering on rainy nights.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Yes, but you don't really think that if I start a fight, I should be killed, do you? However, we are now talking about gun control, I suppose,

We are indeed, because I would say that if you do start a fight then the person you attack has the right to use whatever legal means they have available to defend themselves, and some of those means could indeed result in your death.

quote:
so I go back to my earlier point, why should Trayvon not have a gun also?
The specific reason why Trayvon couldn't have a gun was his age, but speaking generally I'd say that if guns are legal there's no reason why anyone can't carry one if they so desire. However, I would go on to say that using one in a fight you have started simply because the person you attacked is gaining the upper hand can hardly be considered self-defence under any reasonable definition of that term.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yeah, but there are more stages. You start a fight with me, and you are winning, so I reach for my gun, cos I'm scared for my life, but you whip out yours, cos you are also scared. So whoever shoots first gets to claim self-defence, unless witnesses declare something else.

Christ, it shows the disgusting mess which guns create. And knives, of course.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
All I can say is that my male relatives have been subjected to suspicion by police and citizenry alike, sometimes to the point of violence, for simply being muscular black men. Everyone in my family is university educated with very successful careers and no one has a criminal record.

The Trayvon Martin story, legal issues aside, is simply a very scary one for anyone with a black male loved one. Because whether or not Zimmerman was found guilty, Trayvon is dead. It can happen (and does happen) to any black man in America.

My male relative (son) has been stopped by the police and questioned dozens of time. When we lived in the country it was almost every time he tried to go for a walk. After one of these incidents he told me he had noticed a woman watching him from a certain house shortly before the police came so I drove over to politely ask that her, "Why?" It seems that when my son walked by, on the road, in his shorts and running shoes, empty handed -- her dog had barked more than usual. She also told me that a few years earlier she had spotted some men taking lumber from a building site, called the police and stopped a theft. Clearly, a proud crime stopper had been born that day.

One day, when he was sixteen and driving to baseball practice, another would-be policeman followed him in his car, motioning him to pull over, pulling up beside him and grinning. My son turned around and drove home where the man followed him. My son was ashen faced with fear. The driver told a neighbor he had "caught" my son driving without a license. The neighbor said, "He has a license, he's sixteen." The follower said, "Well he doesn't look that old," and drove off.

My white son has been arrested and jailed for loitering. He has been pulled over and arrested for drunk driving (deserved.)He has foolishly run from the police and warning shots were fired. He has been beaten up by gangs and mugged for his wallet -- no one ever caught or charged. Like your relatives he is also college educated, clean cut and conservatively dressed, but not muscular at all. He does now have a record.

I'm not saying racial profiling doesn't exist but I think lots of African Americans are under the impression that white people are given a pass, that every time a policeman, or neighborhood watcher looks at them it's because of their skin color. Police have to use their common sense. Statistics and experience tell them that young men are more likely to commit crimes than old ladies with canes. So, like it or not, they are going to be noticed more by the police.

Your attitude is part of the problem. Racial profiling of young black men is a real problem. One that is backed by data. Look at NYC stop and frisk where white men are stopped less often but when stopped are more likely to have guns/drugs on them than the black men who are stopped. Your kid is 100% irrelevant.

If people in privileged groups can't get over the fact that not everything is about them, we're never going to resolve these issues.

Ask your son, would he trade places with a black boy and then do that DUI over again? Ask yourself too.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Your attitude is part of the problem.

Seems to me that if you're going to say stuff like that, you probably shouldn't go on to say blatantly inflammatory stuff like

quote:
Your kid is 100% irrelevant.
Especially when you then go on to say

quote:
If people in privileged groups can't get over the fact that not everything is about them, we're never going to resolve these issues.
I mean, how you can berate anyone for thinking it's all about them immediately after saying any problems other than the ones you care about are irrelevant is staggering.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
There is no evidence that Martin thought Zimmermann might be a sexual predator. The idea has arisen because of a misinterpretation of what Martin said on the phone to his girlfriend.

Well 'luckily' Martin is dead so we'll never know exactly what he thought Zimmerman was going to do to him. However, there's no real way to put a positive spin on "creepy ass". Most people make the assumption that when they're being stalked by strangers it's because of malign intent. After all, if they intended something good they wouldn't have to be so furtive. That assumption looks correct in this case.

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
It is true that black men are frequently mistreated in this way. It is outrageous that this should be the case.

However, I don't think that is what was going on in this case. First, Zimmermann was not certain of Martin's race at the beginning. Secondly, Martin was loitering on a rainy night in a neighborhood where there had been recent break-ins and home invasions. I think that a person of any race would have become an object of suspicion under the circumstances.

Not according to the transcript you posted.

quote:
Dispatcher: OK, and this guy is he white, black, or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks black.

That sounds pretty definitive to me. Maybe you think it's pure coincidence that Martin just happened to be the same race as just about everyone else Zimmerman reported to the police.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I notice again 'loitering on a rainy night', what the fuck, have you ever been a kid? Of course, kids loiter on rainy nights, they are the best nights to loiter on.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

While I get the point of the 17 year olds have poor judgment about when to walk away angle of the story, am I the only one who looks at people blankly and answers "no" when asked if I have ever been in a physical fight? That includes two moments when I found myself sitting on the sideline with one or two other teammates while the rest of the team ran out for a big brawl in the middle of heated sporting events. Now in that time, I was only confronted by a creepy neighborhood watch type looking to start something once, and I was asking for that one far more than Martin was (nothing criminal, I was just being a pain in his ass and he decided the best way to stop it was to chase me down and threaten to smash my face in- not fun). So I get that some people are pushed harder than I was. Just to say that this whole societal expectation that at some point a boy will inevitably get into a fight is completely odd to me.

[ 17. July 2013, 14:04: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Seems to me that if you're going to say stuff like that, you probably shouldn't go on to say blatantly inflammatory stuff like

quote:

quote:
I mean, how you can berate anyone for thinking it's all about them immediately after saying any problems other than the ones you care about are irrelevant is staggering.

A white kid who drove drunk, endangering himself and those around him, has nothing to do with racial profiling of innocent black men. Not one single thing.

I don't mean to insult that poster but this is a very common occurrence. A minority says "there is systematic prejudice against my group" which is backed by facts, and a member of the majority says "well let me tell you what happened to ME once." It's bizarre. It's not a problem competition.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Og

I think it's just making explicit the point that following a 17 year old guy in a car might produce unpredictable reactions. I think at 17 I might have walked away; but then I might also have tapped on the window, and asked, 'want a bleeding photo, mate?' But we didn't have guns, crucial point, so we pretty much knew that even if there was a barney, no-one would get killed. Actually, we didn't have knives either.

[ 17. July 2013, 14:09: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
quote:

While I get the point of the 17 year olds have poor judgment about when to walk away angle of the story, am I the only one who looks at people blankly and answers "no" when asked if I have ever been in a physical fight? That includes two moments when I found myself sitting on the sideline with one or two other teammates while the rest of the team ran out for a big brawl in the middle of heated sporting events. Now in that time, I was only confronted by a creepy neighborhood watch type looking to start something once, and I was asking for that one far more than Martin was (nothing criminal, I was just being a pain in his ass and he decided the best way to stop it was to chase me down and threaten to smash my face in- not fun). So I get that some people are pushed harder than I was. Just to say that this whole societal expectation that at some point a boy will inevitably get into a fight is completely odd to me.
No, you're not the only one. I've never been in a fight since I left school, and there it was more being set upon by the occasional idiot than actually "getting into a fight".

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't mean to insult that poster but this is a very common occurrence. A minority says "there is systematic prejudice against my group" which is backed by facts, and a member of the majority says "well let me tell you what happened to ME once." It's bizarre. It's not a problem competition.

The converse is that just because there is a well-established prejudice against black people (and if you think that young black men have the same experience interacting with law enforcement as young white men, you are wrong), it does not mean that each and every interaction of a black man with law enforcement involves prejudice.

Let's go back to Zimmerman. He had previously called the cops on suspicious-looking black youths, and a couple of young black men had recently been arrested for burglary in the vicinity. Now he sees Trayvon Martin - another young black man - and calls the police.

Possible explanations:

1. Zimmerman has a prejudice against black people.

2. All the burglary suspects have been young black men, so Zimmerman thinks Martin might be one of them. This isn't prejudice, it's statistics. If we're dealing with a group of acquaintances, and we know that a random two or three are black, in America it's likely that the others are black, too. The US isn't exactly racially integrated.

3. The only people ever walking around Zimmerman's neighborhoods are black. There are plenty of places where most people just don't walk, for any reason.

All of these are possible, given the information I have. 1 is an example of racial prejudice, 2 and 3 are related to the racial separation in the US, but do not involve prejudice.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
All of these are possible, given the information I have. 1 is an example of racial prejudice, 2 and 3 are related to the racial separation in the US, but do not involve prejudice.

I'm pretty sure that "the racial separation in the US" involves prejudice, at least in part.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
quote:

The converse is that just because there is a well-established prejudice against black people (and if you think that young black men have the same experience interacting with law enforcement as young white men, you are wrong), it does not mean that each and every interaction of a black man with law enforcement involves prejudice.

Let's go back to Zimmerman. He had previously called the cops on suspicious-looking black youths, and a couple of young black men had recently been arrested for burglary in the vicinity. Now he sees Trayvon Martin - another young black man - and calls the police.

Possible explanations:

1. Zimmerman has a prejudice against black people.

2. All the burglary suspects have been young black men, so Zimmerman thinks Martin might be one of them. This isn't prejudice, it's statistics. If we're dealing with a group of acquaintances, and we know that a random two or three are black, in America it's likely that the others are black, too. The US isn't exactly racially integrated.

3. The only people ever walking around Zimmerman's neighborhoods are black. There are plenty of places where most people just don't walk, for any reason.

I totally agree. I think you need to read my post, which speaks not of Zimmerman but of the general worry those of us with black male loved ones have that they will be victimized.

I must admit I find it fascinating how much energy some people put into finding any answer other than racism to certain events. Trayvon notwithstanding, anytime something happens pointing towards prejudice, an army of pundits and commenters will shout until blue in the face that racism isn't relevant. The history of America is intimately wrapped up and entwined with anti-black racism.

And that's why we can't talk reasonably about this topic. Because one side wants to be heard, and the other side refuses to listen, or responds immediately with "oh you're just exaggerating."

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

But Twilight's child is irrelevant to this discussion. Perhaps not the most gentle phrasing, but it is not incorrect. If one counter example is all that is necessary, there are no problems anywhere. The statistical preponderance is that black people are more likely to receive undue attention from the police and "concerned citizens."
One might argue this case is not about prejudice, but to throw an irrelevant anecdote is not the proof needed to demonstrate this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
I must admit I find it fascinating how much energy some people put into finding any answer other than racism to certain events.

It's no worse than insisting that racism has to have been at the heart of certain events without looking at the facts.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But no better and certainly no more helpful.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I notice again 'loitering on a rainy night', what the fuck, have you ever been a kid? Of course, kids loiter on rainy nights, they are the best nights to loiter on.

People talking on their cell phones walk into parking meters and mailboxes and trees and often look like they`re wandering aimlessly ... unless they`re standing aimlessly. When I walk through my neighbourhood, I can`t help noticing what people have in their yards, or what they`re doing at home if the curtains or blinds are open. And 7 pm on the night of the All-Star game isn't exactly the best time to carry out a burglary. These ordinary, common behaviours apparently become signs of potential criminality if the person doing them is young, male and black.
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
quote:
I must admit I find it fascinating how much energy some people put into finding any answer other than racism to certain events.

It's no worse than insisting that racism has to have been at the heart of certain events without looking at the facts.
Of course it's worse. Members of the majority group saying minorities are exaggerating claims of abuse and discrimination? In your view, that is as bad as black people believing themselves to be the victims of frequent racism?
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't have any interest in this story, or even know where it happened, until I went to preach at a church in Deland, Florida this past weekend.

The congregation seemed to have a huge interest in the story on Sunday morning, and when I asked why I realized that Sanford is the neighboring community. The church members had a very definite opinion. Most of them felt that the whole thing was a creation of the national media.

When I went to read up on the story online most of the articles seemed pretty biased one way or the other. I thought the Wikipedia article seemed to be the least biased and most informative.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course it's worse. Members of the majority group saying minorities are exaggerating claims of abuse and discrimination? In your view, that is as bad as black people believing themselves to be the victims of frequent racism?
I think many of us wear rose tinted glasses such that until we SEE institutional racism, it's hard to believe. I am a white woman and because of that privilege, I thought I believed what I was hearing from African-Americans. I realized I hadn't really when I saw it, because I shouldn't have been as shocked as I was. The idea that a professional man obviously about his business doing very good work, and dressed in a full suit to boot, should expect that if he interacted with the police he had very good reason to worry blew my mind. This guy gave off every signal I could think of that said he was anything but trouble, but seeing the way he and his (white) co-workers reacted*, it was clear that his worry was not paranoia.

*They went to go talk to the police themselves so that he wouldn't have to. Of course the police left completely satisfied soon after.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:

So what, the second anybody says that any event was racist that makes it True and nobody else can ever argue against them?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Arguing that this case isn't about racism is not what everyone is doing.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

So what, the second anybody says that any event was racist that makes it True and nobody else can ever argue against them?
No. I think seekingsister is saying that both are wrong: ascribing all injustice to racism and ascribing no injustice to racism.

But of the two, the second is objectively worse than the first since saying that minorities exagerrate and/or lie, in itself, perpetuates racist prejudice.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... 2. All the burglary suspects have been young black men, so Zimmerman thinks Martin might be one of them. This isn't prejudice, it's statistics. ... The US isn't exactly racially integrated. ... 2 and 3 are related to the racial separation in the US, but do not involve prejudice.

[Eek!] I don`t know what definition of prejudice you are using, but what you have described in 2 is exactly what racial profiling is. In the USA, it is unconstitutional for law enforcement to use only race as probable cause to detain or investigate someone. Recently, the Maricopa County Sherriff`s Office was slammed down because their officers deliberately followed vehicles with Hispanic drivers and passengers to check for immigration violations. The court specifically said that in an area where there are many citizens of Hispanic appearance (and regardless of how many Hispanics violate immigration laws), the police do not have probable cause to question a particular individual about their immigration status solely on the basis of being Hispanic in Arizona. The same applies to the ``crime`` of driving while black or travelling by air while Muslim.

In his recent speech to the NAACP, Attorney General Eric Holder related an anecdote about being stopped by the police. It happened in Georgetown. He was running because he was late for a movie. He was a federal prosecutor at the time. I have no doubt that if he had said something like, "Do you have any idea who I am?", he`d probably be dead like Trayvon Martin.

The only statistic that should matter is that the vast majority of black Americans are law-abiding citizens, as are American Muslims, Sikhs, Asians, Latinos and white folks. An individual`s right to be presumed innocent and to be free from harassment is not altered by statistics about other people. Assuming someone is up to no good because they`re the wrong race in the wrong place is prejudice.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did people just skim over Twilight's post? That wasn't 'one' counter-example. That was setting out a continued history of what kept happening.

Also: Dear Twilight, what the fuck is wrong with your country?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Did people just skim over Twilight's post? That wasn't 'one' counter-example. That was setting out a continued history of what kept happening.

It is still one person. Statistically insignificant in this discussion.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We cannot know what it means out of context. There could be all kinds of reasons that person was being harassed that most white teenagers as a group are not. In other words, as a stand alone story, it has all the classic issues of an anecdote.

[ 17. July 2013, 15:51: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
No. I think seekingsister is saying that both are wrong: ascribing all injustice to racism and ascribing no injustice to racism.

Is any ascribing all injustice to racism? Most are discussing one particular incident, the killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman.

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

Is any ascribing all injustice to racism? Most are discussing one particular incident, the killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman.
seekingsister said:

quote:
I must admit I find it fascinating how much energy some people put into finding any answer other than racism to certain events. Trayvon notwithstanding, anytime something happens pointing towards prejudice, an army of pundits and commenters will shout until blue in the face that racism isn't relevant.
MtM then pointed out that some people will take the opposite stance.

It was those two positions, rather than the thread as a whole that I was commenting on.

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I don't see why. SYG laws allow you to throw the first punch (or, better, bullet) if you feel threatened.

quote:

This. [Overused]

quote:
I must admit I find it fascinating how much energy some people put into finding any answer other than racism to certain events. Trayvon notwithstanding, anytime something happens pointing towards prejudice, an army of pundits and commenters will shout until blue in the face that racism isn't relevant. The history of America is intimately wrapped up and entwined with anti-black racism.

And that's why we can't talk reasonably about this topic. Because one side wants to be heard, and the other side refuses to listen, or responds immediately with "oh you're just exaggerating."

Double [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
quote:

In my limited experience of 30 years as a black American, people rarely call things racist unless we actually think they are. So maybe you should try to see it from the perspective of the person who feels victimized, rather than just assuming they're using the "race card."

And what's particularly frustrating is that the conversation ends up going away from the black person who is on the news feeling victimized, to the white audience who is sitting at home thinking "well I'M not racist, why is this guy insinuating that I'm racist?" This is where we are in this thread, essentially. That was my point to the other poster - this story isn't about YOU. It's about America and its institutions and its history, and more directly about Martin and Zimmerman. Not about all white people or all Latinos or whatever.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

seekingsister

Very good points. I think there is so much guilt around, and one way to deal with it, is to find someone else to blame.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I don't see why. SYG laws allow you to throw the first punch (or, better, bullet) if you feel threatened.

Really? I thought it was all about not requiring people to run away if attacked (and thus negating any "you could have run away" gambit by the prosecution in any subsequent trial), rather than allowing people to preemptively escalate a situation.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Really? I thought it was all about not requiring people to run away if attacked (and thus negating any "you could have run away" gambit by the prosecution in any subsequent trial), rather than allowing people to preemptively escalate a situation.
No. It's about not requiring people to run away if they feel threatened.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
quote:

We cannot know what it means out of context. There could be all kinds of reasons that person was being harassed that most white teenagers as a group are not. In other words, as a stand alone story, it has all the classic issues of an anecdote.
Of course it was anecdotal, it was in response to Seekingsister's anecdotal post about her male relatives:

Seekingsister:
quote:
All I can say is that my male relatives have been subjected to suspicion by police and citizenry alike,

I never intended to say that my son represented the entire white population of the United States but simply to demonstrate that, seen from within your own family, people of all races have problems and that sometimes, simply being a young male out walking in an area where most people are in cars, is of more interest to the police than race.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreeing with Seekingsister's posts on this thread.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
quote:

seekingsister said:

quote:
I must admit I find it fascinating how much energy some people put into finding any answer other than racism to certain events. Trayvon notwithstanding, anytime something happens pointing towards prejudice, an army of pundits and commenters will shout until blue in the face that racism isn't relevant.

It was those two positions, rather than the thread as a whole that I was commenting on.

Seekingsister is also not talking about "all injustice", just cases where "something happens pointing towards prejudice". You then argue that it's wrong to suspect prejudice in cases where there's reason to suspect prejudice. [Confused]

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

seekingsister said:

quote:

Seekingsister is also not talking about "all injustice", just cases where "something happens pointing towards prejudice". You then argue that it's wrong to suspect prejudice in cases where there's reason to suspect prejudice. [Confused]
No, if anything, I said the opposite. I'm not sure how you can be misreading that.

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

seekingsister said:

quote:

I was supporting seekingsister in her view that it is *worse* to say that minorities exaggerate than it is to over-ascribe things to racism, if that were even possible.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016