homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Humour in the Old Testament? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Humour in the Old Testament?
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The story of Gideon reminds me of the time I thought I had a vocation. I said to God "If you are really calling me, let Fulham win 5-0 next Saturday. And they did! So I said "Lord, far be it from me to call that a coincidence. If you really want me, let there be an appeal against the last four goals, and let half the Fulham side be banned for the rest of the season, and the Fulham manager sacked." And God said "Don't be bloody cheeky" and I woke up.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Try to imagine them as a Monty Python sketch--in Tom's example above, John Cleese as Moses and Eric Idle as Aaron.

"I just threw the gold in the fire and then there was this calf there. It's not my fault!"

(Cleese does his long-suffering, why-do-I-have-to-spend-my-life-surrounded-by-idiots look, before exploding...)

In fact, I really think much of the Bible makes more sense that way.

You mean it becomes funny if you inject some humour into it? Most things do.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One more bit on Jonah:

Some years ago I saw a play (can't remember author) called "East of Nineveh." Lead character is an elderly preacher somewhere in the American south. He is working his way through Jonah and spends considerable time wondering why Jonah set up his camp EAST of Nineveh.
His conclusion was that because of the prevailing wind, that was where Jonah could best smell the burning bodies after God killed all the Ninevites.
He didn't consider who would set the funeral pyres if God killed them ALL.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
otyetsfoma
Shipmate
# 12898

- Posted      Profile for otyetsfoma   Email otyetsfoma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever I read Exodus 14:11 I seem to hear a Yiddish (rather than its original hebrew) accent- or even Jackie Mason - speaking it.

Hostly note: here is Exodus 14:11
quote:
They said to Moses, ‘Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you have taken us away to die in the wilderness? What have you done to us, bringing us out of Egypt?

[ 02. November 2007, 00:38: Message edited by: Moo ]

Posts: 842 | From: Edgware UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bump

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
gaudium
Shipmate
# 13365

- Posted      Profile for gaudium     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going with the "dark humor"/distruction theme, if you don't mind a jump to the NT:

I was just recently thinking how funny all of the merchants must have looked while Jesus was cleansing the temple (Matt. 21:12f). He turns over the money-changing tables, and all the coins go flying. So everyone is on hands and knees grabbing for the money, when they get run over by the stampeding flock of sheep and the flapping, squawking doves which Jesus has just released.

--------------------
Comely as Jerusalem, Terrible as an army with banners.

Posts: 70 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Sarcastica
Apprentice
# 13405

- Posted      Profile for St. Sarcastica   Email St. Sarcastica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Job is wonderfully sarcastic to his friends:
"Doubtless you are the people,
and wisdom will die with you!"
Job 12:2

Posts: 14 | From: Europe | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wiffle
Shipmate
# 12872

- Posted      Profile for Wiffle   Email Wiffle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know Mark Driscoll isn't to everyones taste (I've not seen enough to know if I like him yet) but he delivers a talk on exactly this topic which might be worth a look.

Mark Driscoll on the place of Humor in the Bible and the Church

I know a lot of his jokes aren't PC but I have no idea how closely they tie in with his worldview (he's a Calvinist who describes Calvinism as "Duck, Duck, Damn!").

Posts: 338 | From: Brighton(ish) | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{bump}

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016