homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Lazarus (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Lazarus
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ohigedditnow.

At least, I THINK I do.

I thought we were after truth with these threads, but we're really doing that postmodern thing? Sort of reinventing the story?

[slaps head]

This is what they taught me in grad school, though they used Shakespeare for the purpose. I was (obviously) very bad at it, being a "close reading" dinosaur of the school of a century ago. V. unfashionable and politically incorrect of me, and I never would have been let graduate if it hadn't been for the protective wing of an equally dinosauric scholar who held the same views but had a world-class reputation. Nobody crossed Dr. C.

But HOW I pissed off my department head. [Waterworks] [Big Grin]

[staggers off to bed]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think that's pretty close to what I'm getting at, Lamb Chopped. [Tangent. Previous wow! was a response at you kindness in trying to see what I'm getting at, and the votive was my bloody great thumb hitting the wrong key [Tangent/]

But where are all the other wannabe postmodernists and amenable atheists? Am I really in a congregation - a denomination even - of one? That makes me either a complete idiot or a modern Galileo. Want to lay bets on whetherb I'll go for broke? [Biased]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please correct me if i'm wrong but I have always taken the intent of the writer of John's Gospel to be that set clearly in the Epilogue.
quote:
Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.
And his reason for doing this was the early suspicion/doubt that there was an afterlife promised by Jesus. Therefore, the inclusion of the Lazarus story (which I agree was probably well known among early Christians) was essential to his purpose 'that you may believe'.
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saint Soren's interpretation of the passage is that, insofar as he died and all, Lazarus' sickness is death. So Jesus is saying that death is not the sickness unto death- the point of Jesus' preaching was that sin is the sickness unto death.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
Please correct me if i'm wrong but I have always taken the intent of the writer of John's Gospel to be that set clearly in the Epilogue.
quote:
Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.
And his reason for doing this was the early suspicion/doubt that there was an afterlife promised by Jesus. Therefore, the inclusion of the Lazarus story (which I agree was probably well known among early Christians) was essential to his purpose 'that you may believe'.
Far from correcting you, may I 'umbly suggest you read the whole thread? Yeah, it's a bit tedious in parts, I know, but all the same... [Razz]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pimple
Is it possible to have a discussion on this between those who see the story of Lazarus as a miracle that both confirms Jesus' divinity and gives them a sure hope of resurrection - for Jesus, for their loved ones, and for themselves -
and on the other hand, those who see the story as a true account of one incident in the life of a truly wonderful and remarkable man, compassionate healer, trusted friend, and uncompromising champion of the truth (and many other things) - but not God?

I'd hoped I was responding to your OP and initiating a discussion of the larger import of this Gospel on early and later Christian belief. I did not think the excursions about 'did he die?' or 'what did Jesus know?' especially pursued that question of who was this Jesus?

The intention of the Gospel writer was to take a story that had been around for 60 or 70 years and use it to convince people to believe in Jesus as a son of God. I doubt that he/she bothered to change much of the details assuming the reader wouldn't be caught up with side issues like 'did he die or not?'

Per my previous post
quote:
The entire Gospel of John is an attempt (probably successful) to answer growing doubts and other excursions fom Christianity. Written in the very late or early 2nd century it tries to answer these and gnostic claims to the 'truth'. Thus you have the significance of 'signs', re-organizing of the Temple incident and the story of Lazarus. The latter being the definitive (they thought) rebuttal to anyone doubting the resurrection.

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

You're probably right. I'm totally ignorant on the gnostic question, which has always sounded a bit whacky to me but; I think there are one or two self-confessed Gnostics on the Ship - and they, IIRC, are not whacky at all!

--------------------

IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

I think new findings have found that not all Gnostics were wackos. Some had different takes on the Gospels that the early church couldn't abide. Too bad there wasn't the SOF then.
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Yes, I was coming to that. It's not so much belief or disbelief in the evangelist's clarification. More a suspicion that no clarification is necessary. An indecisive, vacillating Jesus is not the best testament to divinity, is it? He stops for two days - he doesn't say why.

John says he stops for two days. If John is making up the explanation, he could well be making up the pause. You say there's a "real event" here, but you have no evidence of that, or of what that real event was should it have existed, except John's narrative. If John's purpose is served by pulling an explanation of a putative event out of thin air, it could just as easily be served by pulling the event out of the same thin air.
It's a good point. What, in part, convinces me that this is a real story, the basic facts of which John records without any deletion, is just the necessity for dotting those eyes and crossing those tees. If he'd made the story up, what would be the point of including features that obscure his central tenet?

Bullfrog. I know how exegesis should work. I am not claiming that my "take" is exegetical. Any Christian exegesis is bound to start from John's own perspective - that Jesus is God. I think that by ditching that a priori stance, a more interesting - amd even more inspiring - story might emerge. And it doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of accepting, after all, John's high Christology (but it begin to look for more substantial foundations).
It's a bit like using the nonsensical notion of the square root of a minus number to arrive at a sensible mathematical solution.

Exactly what I thought. And it's not an exegesis at all because you're applying a litmus test of your own conception to the bible and then telling it it's wrong until it agrees with your preconception.

Inspiration and interest are highly subjective. For example, I know more than a few folks who think the incarnation is one of the most inspiring things about Christianity.

To try to interpret the Bible while willfully excising portions of the narrative based on a highly subjective criterion such as "personal inspiration" is like saying that one dislikes formulas that employ logarithms, so one will simply excise them from all of their calculations. One can and may do it, but in the end it only increases the degree of subjectivity.

Of course, to a scientific mind, the incarnation (or even the idea of God) is nonsense, but again, that's where it becomes, to me, modern prejudice skewing the interpretation so that a first century author is more palatable to modern sensibilities. Which is fine, except I don't think it's really understanding the text for what it is.

[ 12. November 2010, 20:13: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And for the record, I'm actually very postmodernism, but as a postmodernist, I feel an extra need to protect myself from falling into a space where the entire thing becomes pure subjective flimflam or an echo chamber for the ego of the reader.

I have too much respect for John's humanity as a witness to want to warp him around to make him into something I want him to be. I'd rather take him as he is.

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bullfrog: Post modernist sounds to me exactly like a pre-modernist below the Bible belt conservative.

Am I wrong?

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If that's the way the thread is heading, you'll have to hold me excuse, I'm afraid; I can bullshit with the best of them (ask my department head!) but I, er, feel a sense of mmmwwwwmmwwwwwwmmmmm [Eek!] at the thought of doing it with the Scriptures!

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Bullfrog: Post modernist sounds to me exactly like a pre-modernist below the Bible belt conservative.

Am I wrong?

Yes. You're so far off the mark that I really don't know what to say in response.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

I think it's time I signed off here. I've been reassured by the willingness of Christans to engage in dialogue here, but rather disappointed in the lack of any input from agnostics or atheists. It seems I must simply accept the status quo : the bible is bullshit to some and to others the Word of God. Anything in between is meaningless, subjective egotism!

We researched for a while, at the school for ministry I attended some twenty odd years ago, the futile quest for the historical Jesus - and recognised it as just that - quite futile.

I apologise to those whose objections I have left unanswered. There were some good points among them, but no slam-dunks.

I think I'm happier with the self-imposed soubriquet of "complete idiot" rather than Galileo - the Ship's more comfortable place for the former!

This isn't a flounce, by the way. I'll happily respond to any further posts to allay that suspicion. But I give way on what was seen as a useless argument.

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've enjoyed learning more about how different people approach the Bible, so thank you for starting this very interesting thread. I appreciate what it required of you to start a thread that might provoke very strong reactions.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LC and Bullfrog have been equally scathing.

So I looked up postmodernism.

I suspected it was a Pond thing. And found this "America in 2006 is moving rapidly to post-modernism. This means not only that all objective standards are called into question, but even the possibility of intimate relationship, since all humans are viewed as totally subjective in their view of self and others (if what they are saying can truly be understood by anyone at all under this rubric). By this standard, even Bible study becomes a totally individual pursuit, though Scripture is clear that no interpretation is private.

It was then further developed as follows

"Creeping post-modernism is a logical morph from the unrestrained pluralism and secularism of our age, in which nearly all behaviors are accepted and even applauded. Meanwhile a steady barrage of scientific and social data is unleashed on those who allege that God is, that God is good, that God created everything out of nothing, and that God, the designer of humanity, has provided not only ethical boundaries but Jesus Christ, Who "Gave himself as a ransom for all people. (1 Tim 2:6)" While it is important to resist the unrelenting assault of post-modern thought through scientific research, debate, intercession and perhaps politics, the firm foundation for faith, for absolutes, for hope in something other than flawed humanity is found in God Himself, and in His word, which is revealed in the Scriptures. I am persuaded that Bible study, whether corporate, small group or individual, is itself the antidote for resisting this tide of unbelief.

Quotations are from Bob Solomon.

I ask if he is representative of the trend.

And I still think that what this boils down to in the long run is the old fundamentalism expressed in a new terminology; and aided by what is now known as the Reader Response attitude to scripture.

Instead of being scathingly negative perhaps I could be directed to a proper definition and analysis of postmodernism.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...: the bible is [garbage] to some and to others the Word of God. Anything in between is meaningless, subjective egotism!

I agree.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

To clarify, I am not against postmodernism in all its manifestations; in many (most?) cases I like it far better than modernism. Less of the jackboot about it, I think.

But then, modernism didn't handle the Bible particularly well either.

What I do dislike is having the very foundation of discussion of, well, anything yanked out from under our feet. When a question (ANY question) which used to admit the possibility of an answer (right, wrong, or "I don't know") is now held to be only answerable in terms of "How nice for you," it drives me to drink. Or would, if it weren't for my family history of alcoholism.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
What I do dislike is having the very foundation of discussion of, well, anything yanked out from under our feet. When a question (ANY question) which used to admit the possibility of an answer (right, wrong, or "I don't know") is now held to be only answerable in terms of "How nice for you," it drives me to drink.

But that's exactly what post-modernism IS. Denial of the metanarrative = no possibility of answer except the personal.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
I think it's time I signed off here. I've been reassured by the willingness of Christans to engage in dialogue here, but rather disappointed in the lack of any input from agnostics or atheists. It seems I must simply accept the status quo : the bible is bullshit to some and to others the Word of God. Anything in between is meaningless, subjective egotism!

Actually, I think I am in between in a lot of ways. I just don't stand in the same middle ground as yourself.

shamwari: Scathing? Really?

I would give qualified support to Solomon, except I'm more comfortable with post modernism than he is. I think a certain degree of post-modernism is healthy because it minds the gap between myself and God. I'm not going so far as "there is no ultimate," but saying that there is an ultimate and we'll never quite be able to touch it, so we need to accept our space as subjective interpreters.

Post modernism to me means that I respect the space between myself and the text, trying not to force the text into my own hermeneutic and not to lose myself in the author's hermeneutic, while recognizing that a certain degree of "violence" is inevitable in this relationship, per Derrida. I'm not trying to say that there is an objective way to read John, but that there is a certain range of flex in the narrative. I think pimple was going beyond the narrative and trying to impose himself on the text by constructing an arbitrary definition of which parts were real and which parts were not. It does not follow that I want to impose the text on him (really, just expressing my concerns with his hermeneutic.) And if he finds me too "scathing" to discuss with, that's fine. It's a discussion board, and in a sense, it's not my responsibility to cater to everyone else's hermeneutic whims, no more than it is yours to cater to mine. He asked for a response and I gave it. I guess he and you don't like it. I suppose I could feel ashamed, but I've got bigger fish to fry in my life.

To me, his attempt to find an objective Jesus behind the text is its own kind of modernist arrogance, and I'm calling him on his own subjectivity. I'm fine with subjectivity, but I wouldn't pretend, as he seemed to be, that this is getting at anything real. In a post-modernist frame, the text is the only thing you've got. Lose the text, and you're in a little echo chamber, which per Bonhoeffer, I think is a Bad Thing for anyone who takes Christianity seriously. It becomes ultimately narcissistic, which is the fundamental danger of ultimate post-modernism, what you label "reader response."

Once, again, I don't think you get where I'm coming from. There is some sadness in this, but it's also a practical consequence of reality in a post-modern universe where we are fully unable to speak beyond our own egos without violence (again, Derrida.)

If you really think I'm a fundamentalist, you must either have a very broad definition of "fundamentalist" (one I may gladly fall into) or not know me at all. Far as Bible Belt goes, that's so far from my life that I don't even understand why it comes up except as an ad hominem for "you are too conservative for me." I am in some respects moderately conservative, but...Bible Belt seems to me a preposterous hyperbole.

I'm probably a limited post-modernist, which perhaps makes me a post-post-modernist, but I think such terms a truly silly in a postmodernist world.

Also, in a post modernist world, how can you tell me anything about myself, as you can only communicate within your own personal pomo shell? All you can do is paint your interpretation upon me, which may or may not bear any resemblance to my own existence within myself. And likewise I upon you. With such an impermeable barrier of subjective oil slick between us, how could anything possibly feel scathing? I am, after all, only speaking to myself, perhaps with God and the rest of your good selves as ultimately an unapproachable audience...

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

I wish I could understand what this means (quote)

"I'm not going so far as "there is no ultimate," but saying that there is an ultimate and we'll never quite be able to touch it, so we need to accept our space as subjective interpreters.

The "subjective interpreters" phrase seems to me to underlie the Readers Response way of interpreting scripture.

And its subjectivism means that a text can mean anything we understand it to mean. Why bother with the paraphenalia of Biblical scholarship is the question I am left with.

And my reference to conservatism/fundamentalism as its outcome is based soley on the conclusions which you have seemed to reach in various posts.

But I acknowledge that a Readers Response conclusion could equally well lead to an unltra Bultmannian interpretation.

In other words you pays your money and take your choice - brutally speaking.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

you see, this is just what I CAN'T accept--that it is a waste of time to deal with the Scriptures or any other text. Because if so, why the hell is anyone typing on an Internet bulletin board? Unless y'all are just solipsistic fragments of my consciousness? In which case some of me is VERY weird.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
I wish I could understand what this means (quote)

"I'm not going so far as "there is no ultimate," but saying that there is an ultimate and we'll never quite be able to touch it, so we need to accept our space as subjective interpreters.

The "subjective interpreters" phrase seems to me to underlie the Readers Response way of interpreting scripture.

And its subjectivism means that a text can mean anything we understand it to mean. Why bother with the paraphenalia of Biblical scholarship is the question I am left with.

And my reference to conservatism/fundamentalism as its outcome is based solely on the conclusions which you have seemed to reach in various posts.

But I acknowledge that a Readers Response conclusion could equally well lead to an ultra Bultmannian interpretation.

In other words you pays your money and take your choice - brutally speaking.

I'm post modern enough to admit to being a subjective interpreter, and to call biblical scholars on the reality of their own subjective interpretations as well. That's the limit as you approach God.

Also, in a certain post-modernist sense, we're all on equal footing. The church fathers worked as well as they could with their hermeneutics, and we work as well as we can within our hermeneutics, and I see no reason to privilege scholarship over the ancients. We're all stuck in our own space, working as well as we can.

I'd never say scholarship is baaad, but that it's also limited. If pimple were arguing for an orthodox read that similarly thought it had the final answer, I'd be equally skeptical.

Being a bit of a middle grounder, I tend to swing in the opposite direction of any hermeneutic I read. Perhaps this is why I'm confusing...liberals bring out my conservative side, and conservatives bring out my liberal side.

Perhaps it's my apophatic streak that makes me seem scathing. I'm a natural critic, and when someone asks for feedback, my first impulse is to deconstruct viciously and highlight every weakness I can find. And I can do it to conservatives as well as to liberals. It's an impulse I'll probably have to work on controlling a bit. [Smile]

See how I can say I'm post-modernist? I don't think scholars are really on better footing, and when one says "oh, well, we can dice this out and figure out the 'real' Jesus behind John's interpretation of Jesus," I call bullshit because that real Jesus is gone, long gone. All you've got is scholar-Jesus, which is also in a certain sense only a reflection of the real Jesus of Nazareth who's long lost in the dustbin of history, or vanished from the empty tomb to emerged as the risen Christ. It's kind of the same difference to me.

Maybe I've just been reading too much Bonhoeffer, who in some ways was quite a fundamentalist, yet hardly falling into the Bible Belt stereotype.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Bullfrog. Thank you for all of that. I think I was right to withdraw - I need to write the bloody book, even if the dog did choke on the synopsis! You express yourself far more clearly than I do - and you handle "robust argument" without freaking out.

Me, I'm an optimist. I just cannot bring myself to believe that there is no synthesis possible using scientific experiment, philosophical logic (Bravo Ingo! btw) and received troofTM. I refuse to accept it as one of those irregular verbs: I work it out, she tries it on the dog, you know it's deadly before you even know what the illness is.

I think I've made one friend - potentially. Oh dear ,I don't mean you , Bullfrog. That doesn't mean - oh, stop digging pimple...

[ 14. November 2010, 15:20: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Answered via PM. I'm also an optimist, but still wary of letting one of the three dominate the other two. This means I have an unfortunate habit of attacking whichever seems dominant at the moment. It's a habit, as posted, that I should probably work on. Thanks for the whetstones!

--------------------

footwasher
Shipmate
# 15599

- Posted      Profile for footwasher   Email footwasher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's my weak attempt at comparing postmodernism with modernism

Modernism
The idea that absolute truth can be arrived at, through a process of logic and reasoning and observation.

Postmodernism
Says that people are so different, consensus can never be arrived at. The common goal in religion, to be good, is itself vitiated by the conflict and division generated by the competing claims. Better to try to be good, without reasoning through the process.

Some would say that postmodernism is just another method to arrive at the truth, by selecting the common denominator in all the views. That's why they also claim that PM is the latest modernism, a more reasonable and pragmatic/realistic one. And also say that, in differentiating themselves from modernism, they have in turn created a new division, a new denomination.

It has to be said that in eliminating the process by which the view is arrived at, the group opens itself to questioning by those they want to evangelise. They cannot explain the basis for their truth claims, which though having high acceptability are not done deals.

The purpose of life is to be good? How about the competing claim that the purpose of life is to depend on God? Which has even more credibility, given the fact that good can mean different things depending on the situation and where you happen to be placed in that situation. Case to point, the Garden.

The more reasonable view would be that the consensus cannot be too far from the truth, all other factors remaining the same (qualified judges, a good data set, support from internal and external evidence, etc). A colour can be identified and agreed on with a high probabaility of success, the consensus view being closer to the truth than not. Isn't that why, when scoring, the scoring with the lower groupings are rejected and the score with the highest commonality is accepted as the soundest?

--------------------
Ship's crimp

Posts: 927 | From: pearl o' the orient | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Could you explain how postmodernism can be said to evangelise? This may be a silly question - it's just that the few PM's I know don't go after converts. But they do seek a concensus.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

That might be hard to illustrate. I think they look for a larger concensus on a smaller number of essentials. A concensus on everything feels like nothing more than a herd mentality (quite essential for some species - but homo sapiens?) )

--------------------

footwasher
Shipmate
# 15599

- Posted      Profile for footwasher   Email footwasher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Could you explain how postmodernism can be said to evangelise? This may be a silly question - it's just that the few PM's I know don't go after converts. But they do seek a concensus.

It's true that Postmodern churches find it problematic in actively proclaiming the Gospel when their views play down methods upholding truth claims. However, I was positing the situation arising when enquirers approach a church to find out its views, in order to make sense of the world, and make an informed decision about how to live life according to a viable program.

How would postmodernism guide that enquirer to such a program, which they believe to be beneficial to its adherents and superior to other programs? Just doing good works wouldn't cut it, since there are other organisations, both secular and religious, which may surpass it in performing said good works. And since the enquirer would have questions about God, sin, death, the afterlife etc., what are the answers available in the resource chest of the Postmodern church, in the absence of doctrine?

It is in this context that Postmodernism finds problems in evangelising.

--------------------
Ship's crimp

Posts: 927 | From: pearl o' the orient | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the whole Modern- postmodern- definiton thing isa whole other thread, one much better suited to Purgatory. Feel free to start a thread on that subject there.

in the meantime-- any more thoughts on the story of Lazarus?

Kelly Alves
Kerymania Host

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Just that I think it's kind of cool. [Cool]

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Just one. I played down, earlier, the fact that the synoptic gospels don't mention the story. But then, It's a pretty big omission isn't it? Or is it? I'm not sure now. After all, Mark's "early" account of the passion is much sparser than the others. Any thoughts? I'm not trying to resurrect my original thesis btw - not here anyway. I might mutter eppur si muove somewhere else another time. [Razz]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know I should read the whole thread, but Alan's c.2/2 is obviously right.

Lazarus died. And didn't stay dead. Jesus is, as so VERY often, oracular. As for the young girl, she was either clinically irreversibly dead at the time of Jesus saying that she was asleep, where He is therefore being metaphorical about death and denying the understanding of it as the end of a person, or she had been clinically dead until Jesus said she slept. Either way there is no doubt in all of the witnesses that she was stone cold dead. Only an idiot could have said otherwise. Or God.

There is NO other Christian alternative.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

John is always the oddball Gospel--he's the only one without the Sacraments (well, in obvious institution, I mean), with the wedding at Cana, with Lazarus, with the really cool beach resurrection appearance...

I think it's because he wrote late and last, when all the other Gospels were circulating. Why repeat the same stuff? As the last living apostle, why not give them some of the best of the rest, along with a ton of theological reflection on it?

--------------------

Woodworm
Shipmate
# 13798

- Posted      Profile for Woodworm   Author's homepage   Email Woodworm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In A N Wilson's "biography" of Jesus, he put forward a theory that the story of Lazarus captured a form of ritualised play-acting that Jesus and his followers engaged in.

Judaism was divided between those who preached and believed in life-after-death and those who did not. Jesus was not only in the life-after-death camp, it was a key part of his message.

To bring that message home, his followers would undertake rituals in which they dressed in grave-clothes, went into a tomb/cave, and then emerged, "back to life". As a close friend of Jesus, Lazarus participated in this or, since his name became associated with it, may in some way have originated it.

What you have in the story, goes the theory, is the memory of those rituals - which over time became a story of a real resurrection rather than a ritualised one.

I have to say, I have always found this theory pretty plausible. And disturbing to my faith since, if it is true, it is a small step to explaining how stories about the resurrection of Jesus might have started to circulate.

Convincing refutations gratefully received!

--------------------
NUH MUH! Nuh.. muh...

Posts: 137 | From: the ship's fo'sicle | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodworm:

Perhaps start with a convincing story to refute.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Woodworm
Shipmate
# 13798

- Posted      Profile for Woodworm   Author's homepage   Email Woodworm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And helpful comments, anyone?

--------------------
NUH MUH! Nuh.. muh...

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It doesn't seem like the writer of John thought it was a re-enactment. (That doesn't mean that he wasn't wrong, or more seriously) but I don't see any evidence for it from the records, so any evidence will have to be outside the box.
It will also have to outweigh the odds of it being an honest reporting of an unnatural event (which allows a fair bit of unlikely events in any counter-explaination).
In short conclusive argument I don't think is likely, I personally suspect it is unlikely (requiring as many coincidences as to be miraculous in itself).

It sounds awfully like Graves dying king archeotype (which he seems to tie every greek myth in)...which leads me to ask Is it a known phenonemon?
Not that Jesus (or the greeks) can't have novel practices, but if your (re-)inventing the practice to fit the details, it's bound to be convincing, whereas otherwise it's a more interesting co--incidence, with a reasonable chi-squared (as it were).

The main event is the resurrection, where the same arguments can apply, but at that point you already accept a Jesus with unlikely attributes, or have a much larger conspiracy.

[ 19. November 2010, 14:29: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woodworm, the problem is that you are asking for a "convincing" refutation of something that, to begin with, cannot be proved. What contemporary sources are there that such play-acting actually took place in general (rather than just somebody's theory that it did) and then what evidence is there that it took place in this particular case?

On another thread I pointed this out, but it bears repeating. There are people today who will argue quite forcefully that there never has been a landing on the moon--that the whole thing was faked. They have several arguments, many of which have a surface plausibility about them (an episode of Mythbusters went through some of them). If that can happen about an event that happened less than 50 years ago and was shown on television, then what makes you think anybody can establish with certainty anything that happened two thousand years ago?

So I guess the best I can do to "convincingly refute" somebody's unestablished theory is that Jesus would have had no need to engage in any play acting because he was God and was perfectly capable of resurrecting Lazarus. He didn't need to fake anything. If you don't believe that Jesus was God, then this refutation is worthless. The question is: What do you believe?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Woodworm
Shipmate
# 13798

I think the reason for finding AN Wilson's scenario plausible is precisely the problems inherrent in the Lazarus story, many of which have been elucidated in this thread. A difficult story, that needs some theological acrobatics to explain what it is all "about", suddenly seemed to make sense.

--------------------
NUH MUH! Nuh.. muh...

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there any evidence for this theory at all outside of Wilson's brain (and those he has managed to infect with his meme)? Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's a good explanation. Jesus could have been a space alien, it's possible. But dragging that in to smooth over a rough spot in the text is an act of desperation. Which is what this looks like. There is no need to think up such theories if you just take the story at face value: Lazarus died. Jesus raised him. That's the story. Even if you don't believe it actually happened, that's the story we have. You can say you think the story was made up to reinforce Christ's resurrection, or the whole resurrection idea, or what-have-you. But to invent this play-acting thing? Why?

Again, show me the evidence. If there's other evidence for it, then my response is (partly) refuted. (And I'll deal with that when I have it.)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
In A N Wilson's "biography" of Jesus, he put forward a theory that the story of Lazarus captured a form of ritualised play-acting that Jesus and his followers engaged in.

Judaism was divided between those who preached and believed in life-after-death and those who did not. Jesus was not only in the life-after-death camp, it was a key part of his message.

To bring that message home, his followers would undertake rituals in which they dressed in grave-clothes, went into a tomb/cave, and then emerged, "back to life". As a close friend of Jesus, Lazarus participated in this or, since his name became associated with it, may in some way have originated it.

What you have in the story, goes the theory, is the memory of those rituals - which over time became a story of a real resurrection rather than a ritualised one.

I have to say, I have always found this theory pretty plausible. And disturbing to my faith since, if it is true, it is a small step to explaining how stories about the resurrection of Jesus might have started to circulate.

You're reading too much behind the text. It's certainly...plausible...but then again it's just about as plausible as "the early church wanted to insert fabricated stories to 'prove' their belief in the resurrection."

Unless you've got some archaeological or textual evidence of this sort of thing going on elsewhere...

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Just one. I played down, earlier, the fact that the synoptic gospels don't mention the story. But then, It's a pretty big omission isn't it? Or is it? I'm not sure now. After all, Mark's "early" account of the passion is much sparser than the others. Any thoughts? I'm not trying to resurrect my original thesis btw - not here anyway. I might mutter eppur si muove somewhere else another time. [Razz]

I think the interesting question (and one I'd bet there are reams of articles on) would be "Why is John so different from the Synoptic Gospels in the first place?"

The synoptics all have omissions vis a vis each other (I did a whole paper on a passage that's uniquely Luke's, for instance.) What does it mean when a story appears in one place and not another? Is it less factual? Is it something that was suppressed (which is one explanation I've heard for the woman caught in adultery)? Was it more important to one author's or community's agenda than another's?

This could probably be another thead unto itself...

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Go for it!

Omission needn't indicate suppression, as I've indicated before. And correspondence isn't always collusion. My favourite "extra bits" are the stories which include the Beloved Disciple in the fourth gospel. But my take on that is one even the most ardent postmodernists are likely to choke on!

[Expansion by PM or post in a plain brown paper envelope] [Devil]

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Go for it!

Omission needn't indicate suppression, as I've indicated before. And correspondence isn't always collusion. My favourite "extra bits" are the stories which include the Beloved Disciple in the fourth gospel. But my take on that is one even the most ardent postmodernists are likely to choke on!

[Expansion by PM or post in a plain brown paper envelope] [Devil]

I'm curious about the expansion, especially because it comes with a devil smiley.

May start the thread when I get more time. I have a hunch it's been covered before, but probably not recently...

[ 20. November 2010, 00:04: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

Okay, I'll take a few shots at it. Please read past the first one, I'm not being snarky to you!

1. I can't imagine grown men doing such ridiculous play acting. At least, not in that culture (I'll shut up about my own)...

2. Re the culture--these were JEWS, folks. Death, graves, grave clothes, bodies--all of that was UNCLEAN. Like, totally defiling, and even touching such stuff would keep you out of worship for a week (and force you into a number of baths). There is no way, no how that a bunch of Jews at that time and place were going to play around with the accoutrements of death. To give you some sense of it, recall that one of Jesus' worst insults to the Pharisees was "whitewashed graves that people walk over unaware, full of dead men's bones". Also that Jews would not even enter a Gentile home normally because of the fact that menstruating women had almost certainly been in it and never completed the proper rituals--and that uncleanness was a heckuva lot lighter than that associated with death. Maybe the best way to explain the Jewish aversion to death stuff would be to compare it to modern OCD'ers. Just.Not.Gonna.Happen.

3. I'm fairly sure that Wilson or some source of his picked up the idea from the ancient mystery cults, things like Mithras, etc. But the Jews of the time were almost fanatically set against such cults (remember the rioting when Pontius Pilate brought a few shield images, wasn't it, into Jerusalem? Sheesh.). I truly, truly can't see that particular culture developing any such cultish ceremony. Anyone else in the world, but not them. (Heck, it's like imagining Bin Laden kissing Jewish American babies.)

Now the Goths or somebody, yes.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Is there any evidence for this theory at all outside of Wilson's brain (and those he has managed to infect with his meme)? Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's a good explanation. Jesus could have been a space alien, it's possible. But dragging that in to smooth over a rough spot in the text is an act of desperation. Which is what this looks like. There is no need to think up such theories if you just take the story at face value: Lazarus died. Jesus raised him. That's the story. Even if you don't believe it actually happened, that's the story we have. You can say you think the story was made up to reinforce Christ's resurrection, or the whole resurrection idea, or what-have-you. But to invent this play-acting thing? Why?

Again, show me the evidence. If there's other evidence for it, then my response is (partly) refuted. (And I'll deal with that when I have it.)

\
If you're going for something like Occam's Razor ISTM the simplest unequivocal message in the text is "Lazarus was buried. Jesus rescued him"
Unless you think the story was made up (which I don't - but cannot prove it) these are facts which nobody can deny. All the rest, as Hillel might have said, is interpretation.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
I know I should read the whole thread, but Alan's c.2/2 is obviously right.

Lazarus died. And didn't stay dead. Jesus is, as so VERY often, oracular. As for the young girl, she was either clinically irreversibly dead at the time of Jesus saying that she was asleep, where He is therefore being metaphorical about death and denying the understanding of it as the end of a person, or she had been clinically dead until Jesus said she slept. Either way there is no doubt in all of the witnesses that she was stone cold dead. Only an idiot could have said otherwise. Or God.

There is NO other Christian alternative.

Its a truism to say that Jesus and his contemporaries would not have encountered the term "clinically dead" nor would they have understood it had been possible to explain it to them. But exactly how Jesus and his contemporaries did understand death is very much a matter of conjecture. That different people could make different diagnoses of when death occurred irreversibly must be possible - because they still do, and mistakes are still made. It looks to me that the people around Jesus were quite sure they knew when someone was dead. And that Jesus was quite sure he knew when somebody was alive. And that when those two certainties became mutually exclusive, the people told Jesus he was a fool. Jesus made no argument, not being there to score points, but got on with the healing. Which sometimes involved nothing more (nor less) than the patience to wait and faith in God (the one up there) to do the business.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pimple, your conjecture seems to be that people 2000 years ago were too stupid to know what death looked like. That's quite offensive, don't you think? If anything it'll be the other way round: people had better ideas about death before it was sanitized and moved into hospitals with drugs and white coats.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Its a truism to say that Jesus and his contemporaries would not have encountered the term "clinically dead" nor would they have understood it had been possible to explain it to them. But exactly how Jesus and his contemporaries did understand death is very much a matter of conjecture. That different people could make different diagnoses of when death occurred irreversibly must be possible - because they still do, and mistakes are still made. It looks to me that the people around Jesus were quite sure they knew when someone was dead. And that Jesus was quite sure he knew when somebody was alive. And that when those two certainties became mutually exclusive, the people told Jesus he was a fool. Jesus made no argument, not being there to score points, but got on with the healing. Which sometimes involved nothing more (nor less) than the patience to wait and faith in God (the one up there) to do the business. [/QB]

While that might have solved all the problems had it been a one off or written differently (Jesus was a bit distraught and then by coincidence been the one to hear the knocking, Jesus went in looked at the invalid and noticed a faint heartbeat quickly doing mouth to mouth)

But (as recorded) Mary/Martha put Lazarus in the tomb, Jesus made his pronouncements miles away.
The Centurian's servants may have been stupid, but they were with the boy, whereas Jesus wasn't.
And all the other resuscitations, the people with the evidence are wrong, and the detective makes his judgement from a distance on a mere summary and is always right!!*
So you're left giving Jesus mystic far sight diagnosis ability (or rigging events) anyhow.

*In such a circumstance Jesus comment about the sleep not leading to death is trivially correct, it's only if as reported (or if the resuscitation was an act) that it becomes the problem.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016