homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Why did Jesus not explicitly teach the doctrine of the Trinity. (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Why did Jesus not explicitly teach the doctrine of the Trinity.
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Greco:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
[Axe murder] Explanation of what? [Axe murder]

Of why you don't revise what you said, since it can't be as simple as that...
[Axe murder] Sure. Nothing so fundamental is ever as simple as that. But maybe a different thread would be a place to go into it.

You have to admit, though, that solving a mystery thousands of years old is pretty impressive. [Axe murder]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
k-mann
Shipmate
# 8490

- Posted      Profile for k-mann   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Greco:
quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
By 'nobody' I assume you mean yourself.

I mean the average person on the street. People no longer use nature as anything more than a descriptor; they don't think in ontological terms as far as nature goes.
1. That is simply not true. I know a lof of people who hold to it. You aren't the center of the world, you know.

2. The facts that some people doesn't believe in it doesn't mean it's untrue.

--------------------
"Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt."
— Paul Tillich

Katolikken

Posts: 1314 | From: Norway | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
Quote me a verse, please, that suggests the Father was ever 'within' Christ.

Here are some:
quote:
John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

John 14:20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

John 17:21 You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; ..22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me;

Note that Jesus prays that He will be with us, or "in" us, in a similar way.
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
Please tell me what 'exinanition' is also. (If you don't mind, that is.)

From answers.com:
quote:
[L. exinanitio.] An emptying; an enfeebling; exhaustion; humiliation.
The idea is that Christ went through exalted states and also states of suffering and humiliation.

Thank you for the verses and I can see the way you interpret them I think. However, I'd suggest that as you seem to, jesus is actually underlining his unity of heart and purpose with the Father. In other places he prays to the Father and that is clearly to an entity outside of himself.

IMV the evidence is for separate personalities in the one overall cosmological entity. But hey, t5he debate is millenia old. I don't think jesus ever encourages prayer to himself. Paul certainly encourages us to pray to the Father, through the Christ WHO provides a way of access IMV. and our prayers should be prayers inspired b the HS whom Jesus specifically refers to as a personality.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016