homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Converting from Christianity to Atheism (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Converting from Christianity to Atheism
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
That's the evidence, Firenze? A hymn and a single quote from google search?

You know fine well it's not. If you do not know that, from the Bible onwards, Christian writers and preachers have cited all manner of bad stuff as God's judgment, then I am not about to do your research for you. I quoted the hymn because there are not very many hymns about earthquakes and I am rather fond of it. The attitudes that underlie it though could have been found in just about any Divine of Newton's generation - and later. (But if I cited Spurgeon, you'd say that was just 'one'?)

As for a 'single quote' from Google - how many do you want? Do your own search if you really think that was the only result I got.

I am not concerned to prove that every Christian now living holds such beliefs (or a range of others, on other topics, which are equally uncomfortable to the rational mind). Just that they are there. And surely have an equal right to proclaim the truth of their Christianity.

[ 09. May 2006, 12:58: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was interested in the bit about hurricanes being a warning from the Lord. I had a warning from the Lord this morning: one of the back wheels on my car has started going squeeeek. It's a warning from the Lord: if I don't get it seen to, my wheel will fall off.

The warning isn't in the event. It's in how we read the event. And if you're the sort of person who's determined to go through life being scared of God (or the rather nastier kind who goes through life making other people scared of God) then everything's going to be a warning from the Lord, isn't it?

Me, I can't be doing with being scared of God, and the squeaky wheel thing is a rarity and a one-off. God's much more used to getting warnings from me! Though right now, I could do with sitting down and having an ice cream with him, and asking if he might perhaps keep a closer eye on the temperature around here.

[ 09. May 2006, 13:21: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I am not concerned to prove that every Christian now living holds such beliefs (or a range of others, on other topics, which are equally uncomfortable to the rational mind). Just that they are there. And surely have an equal right to proclaim the truth of their Christianity.

Sure they do. It's a free country. If people want to spout pernicious nonsense, let them. You don't have to listen. It's a shame to throw out Christianity completely, on the basis that some of its followers are berks.
Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earthling
Shipmate
# 4698

- Posted      Profile for Earthling   Email Earthling   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Father Gregory
quote:
Look to / at Jesus. Do you belong to a Church that believes that this is possible?
Thanks - I guess I'll keep trying to do just that. There may or may not be "a God" (whatever that means) but loving people is a good idea anyhow, IMO. (I was confirmed CoE but drifted... recently exploring a bit o' Quakerism. Nice bunch. No mystical revelations yet though [Biased] )

--------------------
Art thou in the Darkness? Mind it not, for if thou dost it will fill thee more, but stand still and act not, and wait in patience till Light arises out of Darkness to lead thee. James Nayler, 1659

Posts: 105 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Earthling
Shipmate
# 4698

- Posted      Profile for Earthling   Email Earthling   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Sorry, missed edit to add...)

My point was really just that believing in God is just not the same as believing in the pub down the road - for me, and I suspect for many people; no matter what the philosophers might say. [Smile]

--------------------
Art thou in the Darkness? Mind it not, for if thou dost it will fill thee more, but stand still and act not, and wait in patience till Light arises out of Darkness to lead thee. James Nayler, 1659

Posts: 105 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just that they are there. And surely have an equal right to proclaim the truth of their Christianity.

That they are there we are agreed on.... and that they have equal rights to proclaim it also.

My contention was with the idea that it was a majority Christian view. I did do some research - and placed a link with two mainstream churches (C of Scotland and the RCC) official spokespeople saying categorically they didn't think the tsunami was God's judgement.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze is correct in stating that the "judgement of God" ideology once had much greater currency than it does today. Indeed, it was probably the default position once (although not an offical teaching as far as I'm aware). However, it will not do to pick one particular aspect of spiritual life in the past, drag it across centuries, put it in a modern context and then say "See how odd it looks!" The same would have to be said for many ideas from back then, if so isolated and compared, but in their setting back then they wouldn't have looked particularly odd at all. If I supported my modern theological opinion with science from the 12th century, I'm sure Firenze would object. So I hope she will be fair and stop setting modern science against ancient pop-theology.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dioptre and Earthling, might I suggest a couple of books for you?

One that I'm currently reading is Modern Physics and Ancient Faith by Stephen M. Barr. It's primarily a discussion of scientific materialism, of the faith-claims of that world view as compared with the faith-claims of a JudeoChristian wolrd view. Fabulous book.

Also, I'd suggest Without God, Without Creed: The Origins of Unbelief in America by James C. Turner.

Both are, I think, may point out ways of thinking and of evaluating your beliefs that you might not otherwise consider. They move you out of the set of assumptions about the world and about God that you are likely to be so familiar with as to be almost unaware of. They are well worth reading.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My contention was with the idea that it was a majority Christian view. I did do some research - and placed a link with two mainstream churches (C of Scotland and the RCC) official spokespeople saying categorically they didn't think the tsunami was God's judgement.

No, I wouldn't say it was mainstream within the more long-established churches and denominations in the 1st world - particularly the UK. But that is the case now, not 100 years ago.

I get the impression though it is still alive and well in the (predominantly) US fundamentalist sects, which are very much in the mould of the popular evangelicism of the 19th C.

As to what the viewpoint is in the expanding pentecostalist churches of South America, or the Christian churches - of whatever stripe - in Africa, I couldn't say. They don't come up as readily on the web. The only thing that breaks surface in the UK media from there, is the views of African bishops on homosexual clergy - which tends to indicate less than liberal leanings.

I cannot say - and I suspect you can't either - just what the characteristics of the beliefs of the majority are vis a vis disasters.

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I get the impression though it is still alive and well in the (predominantly) US fundamentalist sects, which are very much in the mould of the popular evangelicism of the 19th C.

I think that is probably true.

Most African pentecostal Christians I met would probably say the same thing - but on the other hand, most Africans, whether Christian, Muslim or following traditional religions, would probably also say that.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The idea that hardships, natural disasters, etc. are a punishment from God for some evil thing one has done is soundly refuted by the book of Job, as well as multiple Dominical sayings in the Gospels (the man born blind, the collapsing tower, etc.). Although it has persisted as an unofficial undercurrent to this very day in various stripes of Christianity, that doesn't make it orthodox, and people like Jerry Falwell et al. who make public pronouncements along the lines of Job's friends are betraying, not proclaiming, the Christian message.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If rational and empirical evidence cannot apprehend God, or indeed any truth-claim about religion, morality, etc. (which I believe to be the case), but faith can, then what is faith? What does the word mean?

An instinctive sense of the way things are?
A way of life that works?
A way of looking at the world that works?
A set of philosophical propositions that have given up the search for proof?
A combination of some/all/none/one/both of the above, or something else entirely?

(Not rhetorical questions, but a genuine enquiry.)

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SteveTom, I have just the thread for you... [Biased]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
SteveTom, I have just the thread for you... [Biased]

Fair point.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[brick wall]
How does one 'convert' to atheism anyway? Surely the entire point of it is that it's not a religion-it's the absence of religion and religious belief.
[brick wall]
[Help]

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Can one only convert to another religion? Can't one convert to a belief system that isn't necessarily a religious one?

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

- Posted      Profile for Ancilla   Email Ancilla   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, rather an alarmingly long post (this is what comes of writing it in Word rather than hurrying in case the computer loses the post!)

I’m an atheist (a true a-theist, not an apostate – please note that this is a distinction not a value judgement!) and I often find it hard to see what makes one person an atheist and another with almost identical ideas and approaches to life a Christian. Where do you draw the line?

Surely it is impossible to say whether you believe in God or not until someone has defined God. When I say that I believe my future husband loves me, I don’t mean that Love is some kind of concrete entity, but I DO believe that it is a useful word because it describes a real experience. When I say that I am an atheist it is the kind of God that Vesture Posture Gesture describes (an external creating being) that I don’t believe in. But a lot of people seem to me to start from the principle God Exists and then change what the word means. At what point does changing what you believe are the characteristics of something you know exists turn into believing in something completely different? After all, I’d believe a unicorn lived behind the kitchen cupboard if you defined unicorn as a small grey furry animal with a long tail.

Another question: is the statement ‘God exists’ the same type of statement as ‘there’s a pub down the road’? That is, is it a statement of fact which is or is not true (whether or not it is provable)? Rather than, for example, a statement of opinion or moral jugement (eg such and such a thing is bad/delicious/weird). If it is, then surely one has to be prepared to make use of evidence rather than ‘which do I prefer’? So, given that the evidence isn’t conclusive either way, it comes down to your principles on the Default Option. Are you Cartesian – don’t believe anything until you can prove it? Or do you go with believing what other people around you believe (which is not easy these days, given the mixture!) until proven otherwise? I am not saying that I apply either of this principles rigorously to my assumptions – but I don’t need to, it makes no difference to my life. Whereas if you are planning for the next life then actually being right or wrong about unprovable things becomes extremely important.

I agree that it probably comes down to faith / instinct / ‘I just believe it’ etc on both sides. But those of you who ‘feel right’ with God… what do you say to those of us who ‘feel right’ without it? Is it possible that some of us are actually disagreeing more about words than about things?

And [Overused] to all those who managed to read through all that without falling asleep! [Razz]

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can one only convert to another religion? Can't one convert to a belief system that isn't necessarily a religious one?

Yes. But I bet an ex-Christian atheist has a different set of counter-beliefs from an ex-Jewish or an ex-Muslim atheist. I say "counter-belief" rather than "non-belief" to indicate that a positive declaration of atheism differs from a bland passive state of not entertaining ideas about a God that could be believed in.
As +Fulton Sheen most unfairly and very glibly used to say, "To claim to be an atheist requires something to atheate."

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Could you give an example of a "counter-belief" (whatever that is) that would be specific to an ex-Christian atheist?

I'm a bit lost, otherwise.....

--------------------

Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

- Posted      Profile for Ancilla   Email Ancilla   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's more to do with how they talk about their atheism. They may criticise particular things - the inconsistency of the bible, the cruelty of hell/predestination/substitutionary atonement, nasty episodes in christian history etc. I have even noticed an odd tendency for ex-christian and ex-jewish atheists to praise other religions, including islam and buddhism, as a way of criticising judeo-christianity.

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I take BM to mean that the God I don't believe in is the one described by the church, rather than the mosque. So I don't have a counter-belief that Koran was not divinely dictated, since I have never thought that it was.

By the bye, the reason I call myself a pagan, rather than an atheist, is that I do not believe in God, but see no reason to disbelieve in the gods (au contraire). I am mostly rationalist/humanist, but keep a little corner in my heart for irrational mysticism.

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Then perhaps that refers to a particular breed of atheist who isn't really an atheist, but is actually angry with God.

On the other hand, I know atheists who have no antipathy toward the church - who are happy to support some church run projects - even take part in services now and then - but are quite clear they don't believe there is a God, even if they think there are some useful aspects to religion.

--------------------

Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

quote:
Posted by mdijon: On the other hand, I know atheists who have no antipathy toward the church - who are happy to support some church run projects - even take part in services now and then - but are quite clear they don't believe there is a God, even if they think there are some useful aspects to religion.
Yep, that's me! [Big Grin] But I'm not an ex-christian, I'm a second-generation atheist. Hence 'them' not 'us' in my previous post. In other words, I really am a-theist (without god, as in, not brought up with him - I like the term 'unchurched' used on here). But what one might call 'orthodox' atheism is based on a rejection of christianity and its replacement with science (something that rather baffles me)

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wannabe Heretic:
...I often find it hard to see what makes one person an atheist and another with almost identical ideas and approaches to life a Christian. Where do you draw the line?

I don't know -- is it the same as the distinction between a person who says the glass is half full, and one who says it's half empty? That is, is the difference simply one of outlook, or mindset? The same data -- or lack of data -- is, in principle, available to everybody, after all.

Intelligent, reasonable people seem perfectly able to come to different conclusions.

quote:

Surely it is impossible to say whether you believe in God or not until someone has defined God.

Well, we often talk about concepts ( love, intelligence, fabulosity [Smile] ) without being able to define them.

As it happens, I only `believe in' the God that I have a working understanding of. I suspect that there are as many different understandings of God as there are Christians (etc). Is it correct to say that I `don't believe in' the God that (at least some) other Christians recognize? Or is it better merely to say that we all `believe in' God, but disagree on the details?

I'm fairly sure that Pat Robertson's God does not exist, for example.

In short, I find it rather unhelpful to ask the question: ``God is A, B, C. Does God exist?'' A more helpful approach is: ``I think X, Y, Z; what (if anything) can I conclude about God?''. Of course that means being guided by what other people understand of God; but I don't see `belief in God' as requiring a prior definition of God.

quote:

After all, I’d believe a unicorn lived behind the kitchen cupboard if you defined unicorn as a small grey furry animal with a long tail.

Well, clearly if `God' is the label I attach to the spot on my bum, then God exists. But since the label `God' is associated in people's minds with all sorts of facts and concepts, it's really only helpful to ascribe the label God to something that is recognizably aligned with those facts and concepts. But that's a question of semiotics, not theology.

If I believe that there is something that I can reasonably apply the label `God' to, it is because I understand that this entity has enough God-like stuff about it to make the use of the label sensible. That doesn't mean that I have to understand it perfectly, or define it exactly.

quote:

Another question: is the statement ‘God exists’ the same type of statement as ‘there’s a pub down the road’? That is, is it a statement of fact which is or is not true (whether or not it is provable)?

Well, since I can define `pub' exactly (or, at least, in a way on which there is likely to be consensus), and I can't define `God' exactly, these two statements are not propositions of the same type (to me). Rather, to me, `God exists' expresses a set of propositions, at least some of which must be true for the statement to be valid. That set of propositions includes, for example, the propositions that time and space are created things; that their creation was for a purpose (albeit not well understood by me); that there is such a thing as `free will'; and so on. To say that there is a `thing called God' which may, or may not, exist is just shorthand.

quote:

Rather than, for example, a statement of opinion or moral jugement (eg such and such a thing is bad/delicious/weird). If it is, then surely one has to be prepared to make use of evidence rather than ‘which do I prefer’?

Although I don't think that `God exists' is a simple proposition of first-order logic, I do believe that it is a statement that expresses something that is either objectively true or not.
I, personally, don't think it is an expression of opinion. Therefore, my reasons for thinking the statement is true do, indeed, have to be rationally defensible. Not everybody feels this way, however.

But I don't think my reasons have to be evidential. Most of the things that I believe, and which are most important to me, are not evidential. But I believe they are rational.

quote:

So, given that the evidence isn’t conclusive either way, it comes down to your principles on the Default Option. Are you Cartesian – don’t believe anything until you can prove it? Or do you go with believing what other people around you believe (which is not easy these days, given the mixture!) until proven otherwise?

Why must I adopt one of these two extremes of position? I've got eyes and ears and a brain, of sorts. I make observations, and I try to figure out what metaphysical proposition offer the best fit to the data. I don't have to be sceptical about everything, but neither must I soak up other people's beliefs like a sponge. The data is inconclusive, of course, as you rightly point out. So my conclusion is likely to be based as much on my overall mindset as it is on data. But, to be honest, my conclusion on just about anything that is important is similarly arrived at.

quote:

I am not saying that I apply either of this principles rigorously to my assumptions – but I don’t need to, it makes no difference to my life.

Fine. No need to worry, then. [Biased]

quote:

Whereas if you are planning for the next life then actually being right or wrong about unprovable things becomes extremely important.

I don't think you can plan for the next life. I tend to the optimistic view that, if you try to do what seems right and makes sense in this life, the next life -- if there is one -- will take care of itself. Of course, I appreciate that this is a heresy. Nevertheless, I think if God had meant us to get tied up in knots about the afterlife, She would have made its existence more obvious.

quote:

But those of you who ‘feel right’ with God… what do you say to those of us who ‘feel right’ without it?

Nothing. I have enough of a problem figuring out what I believe without worrying what other people believe. It's none of my business.
Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
quote:
originally posted by Wannabe Heretic:
Surely it is impossible to say whether you believe in God or not until someone has defined God.

Well, we often talk about concepts ( love, intelligence, fabulosity [Smile] ) without being able to define them.
Fair enough – but I still think that I have an understanding of what I mean by ‘love’ or ‘intelligence’ and that other people will understand when I use that term. And in purely brain-chemistry terms, they probably CAN be reasonably defined. Whereas – as you have acknowledged – there are very different definitions of God, ranging from ‘love’ or ‘the ground of our being’ through a pantheistic or animistic god, to an isolated deist Supreme Being, to a vengeful Zeus-type beardy guy.

Yes, if you already believe in God, then you could move between these different meanings and see it as simply ‘I have now got a better understanding of God’. Just as I might, knowing that there was something behind my kitchen cupboard, slowly come to realise that it was grey with a long tail. But from my position outside the believing community, it is very hard to deal with the concept of God (let alone believe it!) when nobody is particularly capable of telling me what it means! You would not, for example, suggest that I ought to believe in ‘gogglefarbs’ and not expect me to ask you what that meant. So far the definition of God seems to be even LESS specific than ‘something behind the cupboard’!

quote:
Posted by Crooked Cucumber: since the label `God' is associated in people's minds with all sorts of facts and concepts, it's really only helpful to ascribe the label God to something that is recognizably aligned with those facts and concepts.
I’d be very pleased to see a basic list of facts and concepts about God which all users of the term (of all religions) would be prepared to agree on. You listed a belief in ‘free will’ as something essential to the belief in God, but I’m not sure whether everyone would agree on this.

quote:
Posted by Crooked Cucumber: Although I don't think that `God exists' is a simple proposition of first-order logic, I [...] personally, don't think it is an expression of opinion. Therefore, my reasons for thinking the statement is true do, indeed, have to be rationally defensible. Not everybody feels this way, however.

But I don't think my reasons have to be evidential. Most of the things that I believe, and which are most important to me, are not evidential. But I believe they are rational.

Could you give me an example of a belief about a fact (not a judgement or opinion) which is rational but not based on evidence? I expect you are right but I can't think of one.

quote:
Posted by Crooked Cucumber:
Why must I adopt one of these two extremes of position?

Maybe you don’t. But you do have to have some basic assumptions, some limits to what you can believe. The best example of this is the bodily resurrection of Jesus. There is evidence for it, but not conclusive evidence. So if you believe ‘resurrection of the dead is impossible’ then you believe it didn’t happen. If you believe ‘resurrection of the dead is possible, if God chooses to do it’ then you believe it could have happened. For me, if I believed that Jesus was bodily resurrected, I would feel I had to believe in every miracle and supernatural event for which there was some evidence.

quote:
I don't think you can plan for the next life. I tend to the optimistic view that, if you try to do what seems right and makes sense in this life, the next life -- if there is one -- will take care of itself. Of course, I appreciate that this is a heresy. Nevertheless, I think if God had meant us to get tied up in knots about the afterlife, She would have made its existence more obvious.
That’s a completely reasonable and very common position. But it is a risky one. Since I don’t believe God exists at all, I don’t have to worry about the nature of God or whether I could be wrong about it. But since you DO believe in God, surely you sometimes worry that you have made a mistake and that God is not the way you want him (or her, if you prefer it that way) to be?

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

quote:
Fair enough – but I still think that I have an understanding of what I mean by ‘love’ or ‘intelligence’ and that other people will understand when I use that term. And in purely brain-chemistry terms, they probably CAN be reasonably defined.

I think that we have a common understanding of intelligence, love, etc., from the context in which these words are used. My 5-year-old understands `love' to mean `when you want to hug someone', because that's the context in which he's heard the word used. As he gets older, most likely he'll see the word used in different contexts, and get a different understanding of what it means. But, nevertheless, I think it would be difficult to write down a definition.

I'm inclined to doubt that sensations like love, loyalty, hope, fear, etc., will ever be definable in terms of brain chemistry, although I accept that they are accompanied by physiological changes. But I guess that if you are a materialist, such a definition must be possible, at least in theory, since no other is admissible.

quote:

Whereas – as you have acknowledged – there are very different definitions of God, ranging from ‘love’ or ‘the ground of our being’ through a pantheistic or animistic god, to an isolated deist Supreme Being, to a vengeful Zeus-type beardy guy.

I wouldn't call these definitions of God; I would call these descriptions, or representations, of God. I tend to think that over the years our conceptual vocabulary has increased, so that we have an increasing number of ways to conceptualize God. But because (as I see it) God isn't really `like' anything in the physical world, our attempts to do this are not always very compelling. And sometimes they're just plain daft.

quote:

You would not, for example, suggest that I ought to believe in ‘gogglefarbs’ and not expect me to ask you what that meant. So far the definition of God seems to be even LESS specific than ‘something behind the cupboard’!

Yes, I agree that it is a problem. But I might be able to tell you what gogglefarbs mean to me, how I experience gogglefarbs. I might be able to tell you how other people understand gogglefarbs. I might be able to give you some sense of what gogglefarbs are, without being able to enumerate their properties.

quote:

I’d be very pleased to see a basic list of facts and concepts about God which all users of the term (of all religions) would be prepared to agree on.

Me too [Smile] Most likely what you'd get, for N believers, is N different lists where particular propositions would appear with different frequencies. I doubt there would be any subset of propositions on which there would be consensus.

It would be an interesting academic exercise, but I'm not sure what the practical significance would be.

quote:

You listed a belief in ‘free will’ as something essential to the belief in God, but I’m not sure whether everyone would agree on this.

Most likely they wouldn't. And I'm aware that `free will' is a problem even among Christian thinkers. In a totally deterministic physical universe, I think free will is a meaningless concept. But that's just my $0.02 -- maybe there are free will particles or something.

quote:

Could you give me an example of a belief about a fact (not a judgement or opinion) which is rational but not based on evidence? I expect you are right but I can't think of one.

Well, the textbook example is `the past really happened'. Another is `other people are conscious'. These are what Plantinga calls `properly basic believes' -- things that we believe because life would fall apart otherwise.

quote:

For me, if I believed that Jesus was bodily resurrected, I would feel I had to believe in every miracle and supernatural event for which there was some evidence.

That depends on the weight and source of the evidence, no? Martha P Scoggins from Lesser Piddle testifies that martians turned her son into a fish finger. That's evidence, of a sort. Even if I believed, on a priori grounds, that on one occasion in the past martians had, in fact, turned somebody into a fish finger, that doesn't mean in itself that I have to believe Martha's story. There are a whole heap of other factors I would have to take into account.

Same with the resurrection. A Christian who believes in a boldily resurrection does so (I assume) because it (a) is possible for God, and (b) forms part (perhaps the central part) of the coherent message of Christianity.

That I don't believe in charismatic leg-lengthening is not because I don't believe that God could not lengthen people's mismatched legs if She so wished; it's because it would wreck the coherence of the understanding I have of how God does things.

quote:

Since I don’t believe God exists at all, I don’t have to worry about the nature of God or whether I could be wrong about it. But since you DO believe in God, surely you sometimes worry that you have made a mistake and that God is not the way you want him (or her, if you prefer it that way) to be?

Why? If you don't worry about being wrong about the existence of God, why should I have to worry about being wrong about the nature of God? I would guess that the existence of a vengeful, fire-and-brimstone bastard, who will toast me for getting some point of doctrine wrong, is no more likely a proposition for me than it is for you.

BTW I don't think gender is a meaningful concept to apply to God. I feel uncomfortable using the pronoun `it' in respect to God, which is why I alternate `He' and `She'. I'm not making a theological proposition [Smile]

Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

quote:
Posted by Crooked Cucumber: I think that we have a common understanding of intelligence, love, etc., from the context in which these words are used. My 5-year-old understands `love' to mean `when you want to hug someone', because that's the context in which he's heard the word used. As he gets older, most likely he'll see the word used in different contexts, and get a different understanding of what it means. But, nevertheless, I think it would be difficult to write down a definition.

I'm inclined to doubt that sensations like love, loyalty, hope, fear, etc., will ever be definable in terms of brain chemistry, although I accept that they are accompanied by physiological changes. But I guess that if you are a materialist, such a definition must be possible, at least in theory, since no other is admissible.

Believing that love is in one sense a chemical reaction doesn’t stop you wanting to talk about it from the point of view of subjective experience. That there are chemical changes in my brain when I see the man I love is true, it just doesn’t say very much. People do not use language only to talk about what is objectively factual. I have yet to see anyone on here define (or ‘describe’ or whatever) God even as far as your five year old can define love. I don’t need a dictionary definition, just what you are calling ‘common understanding’.

quote:
Yes, I agree that it is a problem. But I might be able to tell you what gogglefarbs mean to me, how I experience gogglefarbs. I might be able to tell you how other people understand gogglefarbs. I might be able to give you some sense of what gogglefarbs are, without being able to enumerate their properties.
Please, do! Obviously, about God not googlefarbs [Razz] (or ooglie booglies, as is rapidly becoming the new in word on the other thread!)

quote:
quote:
Posted by Wannabe Heretic: Could you give me an example of a belief about a fact (not a judgement or opinion) which is rational but not based on evidence? I expect you are right but I can't think of one.
Well, the textbook example is `the past really happened'. Another is `other people are conscious'. These are what Plantinga calls `properly basic believes' -- things that we believe because life would fall apart otherwise.
I’m not sure I would call these beliefs ones for which there is no evidence. There is evidence, but it requires certain assumptions – particularly that your experiences (that you have consciousness and that things happen) are a model that can be extended to others. But this is a rational assumption to make from the evidence, since other people seem to go around being and doing and saying very much as you do, and since the evidence from the past is very much similar to the evidence the present is producing for future generations to look at. Ultimately you will always get to some kind of assumption, some kind of judgement that comes right at the bottom.

quote:
quote:
For me, if I believed that Jesus was bodily resurrected, I would feel I had to believe in every miracle and supernatural event for which there was some evidence.
That depends on the weight and source of the evidence, no?
Sorry, I meant, for which there was a comparable level of evidence. In my St Francis and St Clare seminar we watched a video hagiography of Padre Pio and a Jewish girl got quite worried because she found the testimonies as convincing as the evidence for some things she did believe.

quote:
Why? If you don't worry about being wrong about the existence of God, why should I have to worry about being wrong about the nature of God? I would guess that the existence of a vengeful, fire-and-brimstone bastard, who will toast me for getting some point of doctrine wrong, is no more likely a proposition for me than it is for you.
I understand most people aren’t very afraid that they might be wrong about something! But I’m getting very fond of my mouse behind the cupboard analogy. If I don’t think there’s anything behind the cupboard, fine. If I think there is something, it’s probably a mouse, but I don’t know… aren’t I going to wonder if it might be a rat?

quote:
BTW I don't think gender is a meaningful concept to apply to God. I feel uncomfortable using the pronoun `it' in respect to God, which is why I alternate `He' and `She'. I'm not making a theological proposition
Ah, all the trouble I have with the concept of God would never have come about if I’d been brought up with an It. Sigh.

[ 10. May 2006, 19:54: Message edited by: Wannabe Heretic ]

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I take BM to mean that the God I don't believe in is the one described by the church, rather than the mosque. So I don't have a counter-belief that Koran was not divinely dictated, since I have never thought that it was.

Sorry to be so long replying; time zones mean that I'm fast asleep when the UK'ers are posting. Yes Firenze, that's what I was getting at.Anyone claiming atheism who has had a theistic belief beforehand is going to deny the God that sort of
theism defines. A Buddhist, however, would find it hard put to deny what the monotheistic faiths call God, not having a belief in such a being anyway.

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jerry Boam
Shipmate
# 4551

- Posted      Profile for Jerry Boam   Email Jerry Boam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard Mahler:
Anyone claiming atheism who has had a theistic belief beforehand is going to deny the God that sort of
theism defines. A Buddhist, however, would find it hard put to deny what the monotheistic faiths call God, not having a belief in such a being anyway.

A former theist who finds that they have no belief in a theistic God does not have to deny something they don't believe in. They merely have to claim that no reason for belief in such a being exists.

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Posts: 2165 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

quote:
Believing that love is in one sense a chemical reaction doesn’t stop you wanting to talk about it from the point of view of subjective experience.

Fair enough. But if you are a materialist, `love' isn't in `one sense' a chemical reaction; it is a chemical reaction in the only sense that has any sense. I'd be happy to discuss this issue in more detail, but I don't think it will fit into this thread [Smile]

quote:

I don’t need a dictionary definition, just what you are calling ‘common understanding’.

I don't think I said that there was, or could be, a `common understanding' of God, even among believers. In fact, I seem to remember saying that if you asked N believers to make a list of things they believed about God, you'd get N different lists.

Because God isn't the same kind of thing as anything in the material world -- in fact, I don't conceptualize God as a thing at all -- it's difficult to use the linguistic constructs we apply to material things to describe God. I think this is why most God-talk is based on analogy: God is `like' this, or `like' that. If you read the Biblical Psalms you see many, many attempts to describe what God is `like': God is like a shepherd and we are his sheep; God is like a potter and we are the clay; God is a warrior, a rock, an overflowing vessel, etc, etc.

I appreciate that this is frustrating for a person bought up in the Western, Aristotelian tradition of description. As an experimental scientist brought up in the `Baconian' understanding of science, I experience the same frustration trying to understand Goethe's `holistic' model of science. ``Aaargh! But what does it actually meeeeeeeeeean!''.

This Aristotelian tradition leads us to `define' God as an entity that is all-powerful, all-knowing, perfectly good, etc., etc. But this just side-steps the problem because `good', `powerful', etc., are human values -- we still have to determine how, if at all, they apply to something that is way different from anything in our direct experience.

quote:

I’m not sure I would call these beliefs ones for which there is no evidence. There is evidence, but it requires certain assumptions – particularly that your experiences (that you have consciousness and that things happen) are a model that can be extended to others.

But why should the existence of God on the basis of assumptions be irrational, while the existence of the past is rational when so based? Maybe my fundamental assumptions are such as to favour explanations in terms of God, and yours are not. But, hey ho, people are different.

quote:

Sorry, I meant, for which there was a comparable level of evidence....

Sure. If you (say) believe in the ressurrection of Jesus, and you feel that there is evidence of the same type and the same weight of martians turning people into fishfingers, and if there's room for martian fishfingerisation in you world-model, then of course you should believe in martian fishfingerisation. Why is this a problem?

quote:

If I don’t think there’s anything behind the cupboard, fine. If I think there is something, it’s probably a mouse, but I don’t know… aren’t I going to wonder if it might be a rat?

Only if you had a priori grounds for thinking that the existence of rats is probable. Do you worry that your mouse might, in fact, be a frumious bandersnatch?
Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

quote:
Posted by Crooked Cucumber: Because God isn't the same kind of thing as anything in the material world -- in fact, I don't conceptualize God as a thing at all -- it's difficult to use the linguistic constructs we apply to material things to describe God. I think this is why most God-talk is based on analogy: God is `like' this, or `like' that. If you read the Biblical Psalms you see many, many attempts to describe what God is `like': God is like a shepherd and we are his sheep; God is like a potter and we are the clay; God is a warrior, a rock, an overflowing vessel, etc, etc.
I think the problem for me would be how you then make the next step. There are plenty of things which I don’t understand or have any direct contact with which I nevertheless suppose may be true (most of science, for example, is completely beyond by understanding). But Christians don’t just say ‘there is a God’, they say, there is a God and therefore…. All the rest of it – Christ, sin, redemption etc etc – is pointless if you don’t start from ‘there is a God’. So since this God is so completely unknowable, why should you assume he has anything to do with all the rest of it?

quote:
Posted by Crooked Cucumber: But why should the existence of God on the basis of assumptions be irrational, while the existence of the past is rational when so based? Maybe my fundamental assumptions are such as to favour explanations in terms of God, and yours are not. But, hey ho, people are different.
Ultimately you always come down to some kind of assumption, even if only an assumption as to the criteria for judging the rightness or goodness of other assumptions. ‘God exists, but we don’t know what the word means’ – that is a big and unobvious assumption. But if it works for you I don’t have a problem with that.

The main problem that a lot of atheists I think have with Christians (and to some extent those of other religions, in as much as they come in contact with them) is: If you think this is objectively true, ie that it will have some effect on people other than through their belief, then people ought to know and believe it and you should try harder to make them do so. If you don’t think this is objectively true, then it’s just a hobby.

quote:
Sure. If you (say) believe in the ressurrection of Jesus, and you feel that there is evidence of the same type and the same weight of martians turning people into fishfingers, and if there's room for martian fishfingerisation in you world-model, then of course you should believe in martian fishfingerisation. Why is this a problem?
I’m not sure what the stats are, but on the whole christians are more likely to believe in the bodily resurrection than in other miracles, and in particular they are going (naturally) to favour christian miracles over the evidence that has been produced for reincarnation etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Crooked Cucumber:
quote:
Originally posted by Wannabe Heretic: If I don’t think there’s anything behind the cupboard, fine. If I think there is something, it’s probably a mouse, but I don’t know… aren’t I going to wonder if it might be a rat?
Only if you had a priori grounds for thinking that the existence of rats is probable. Do you worry that your mouse might, in fact, be a frumious bandersnatch?
Good point, I don’t. But if other people went around saying there were rats behind their cupboards, and you had something behind yours, you might wonder if it was a rat. Whereas if you didn’t have anything behind yours, or saw no evidence (knawed wood, droppings etc!) then you wouldn’t even think about it at all. I love the name Frumious Bandersnatch though. Can you get them as pets? [Yipee]

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

quote:
So since this God is so completely unknowable, why should you assume he has anything to do with all the rest of it?

Well, I wouldn't say that God is completely unknowable. I think it is possible to intuit something of the nature of God, without being able to explain what God means exactly, or in detail. One can `know' God by analogy: God is like this, God is like that; while being mindful of the fact that this process is imperfect.

My intuitive understand of what God is `like' informs my interpretation of what other people have written and claimed above God, and vice versa. I feel intuitively that (for example) God has an ongoing relationship with the physical world (I am not a deist) -- that `creation' is an ongoing process -- and therefore I tend to read scriptures, etc., in line with that understanding.

I don't feel intuitively that scripture is God's dictation, and therefore I don't feel obliged to contort my own reasoning and intuition to fit things that don't make sense to me. At the same time, I do think that the Bible was written by people who had a deeper, fuller, and more personal experience or intuition of God than I do. So what I read informs what I think, but what I think influences how I interpret what I read.

To be honest, I think that the whole Christian proposition rests on the fact that some people, some time ago, had a closer and more direct experience of God than we (collectively) currently do. You can't get by observation and intuition alone to specific facts about the life of Jesus. You have to trust (assume?) that people nearer the events interpreted what they saw correctly, and recorded it properly. How likely you are to have this kind of trust, of course, depends on the view you already have of the likelihood that the described events might be true.

I am aware that some of this reasoning is circular. All I can do -- all any of us can do -- is construct our model of reality on the basis of what seems most compelling, informed by what we observe and experience. This is a circular process for atheists too (and I was an atheist for a long time).

quote:

‘God exists, but we don’t know what the word means’ – that is a big and unobvious assumption. But if it works for you I don’t have a problem with that.

I'm so glad [Smile] But I don't think I'm assuming this at all. The only actual assumption I am making is that it is meaningful (useful, rational) to use the expression `X exists' without being able to define X with precision. If we know nothing about X, even by analogy, then of course `X exists' is a non sequitur. It's just gibberish. If we define X in such a way that it has to exist (`God is the spot on my bum') then `X exists' is meaningful, but unhelpful. I'm not trying to define God into existence like St Anselm, nor am I throwing up my hands and saying `Nothing can be known of God, but most likely there word can be applied to something that exists'. I guess I'm somewhere in between these extremes.

quote:

The main problem that a lot of atheists I think have with Christians ... is: If you think this is objectively true, ie that it will have some effect on people other than through their belief, then people ought to know and believe it and you should try harder to make them do so.

What do you think I'm trying to do? [Smile]

In fact, I don't have the talent for this. What I can (perhaps) do, and try to do, is to counter illogical objections people raise to theistic and Christian belief. But, in the end, I think very, very few people come to Christianity (or any other religion) because they are persuaded by logic that its propositions are objectively true. I think people come to Christianity either because they have some sort of `conversion experience', or because of the good witness of other Christians. I always found direct evangelism a real turn-off.

quote:

I’m not sure what the stats are, but on the whole christians are more likely to believe in the bodily resurrection than in other miracles, and in particular they are going (naturally) to favour christian miracles over the evidence that has been produced for reincarnation etc.

Yes, fair enough. Although there's a (to me) surprisingly high proportion of people who tick the `Christian' box and yet to profess to believe in reincarnation in some sense. We had a poll around here on this subject recently, I believe.

quote:

But if other people went around saying there were rats behind their cupboards, and you had something behind yours, you might wonder if it was a rat. Whereas if you didn’t have anything behind yours, or saw no evidence (knawed wood, droppings etc!) then you wouldn’t even think about it at all.

Maybe. But rats are ejusdem generis with rats, aren't they? There's not a way big difference between a mouse and a rat. If people told me they had ten-foot fire-breathing dragons under their sinks, I wouldn't think I had one on the basis of finding mouse poo under my sink.

quote:

I love the name Frumious Bandersnatch though. Can you get them as pets? [Yipee]

You'd have to ask Lewis Carroll where he got his [Smile]
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It’s a big, big, step from scepticism and agnosticism to atheism.

“I don’t believe in God” is not necessarily an atheistic statement. To be atheistic the speaker of that statement would have to go further and say, “I believe there is no God”. Otherwise they are simply either expressing uncertainty – “I have no belief in a god; a god may or may not exist, I do not know” or they are sceptical – “I have no belief in a god and I have not yet seen any reason why I should believe in a god.”

I am not really convinced that to be ‘without a god’, in the sense that one has not been brought up with a god, is atheism either. I can try to explain this by way of a figure (not to be pushed too far!):

Supposing an acquaintance of mine personally knew the official who was British Ambassador to Bolivia in 1980. I didn’t know this official and, for all I know, such a person may not have existed. My acquaintance may attempt to describe the Ambassador to me – attributes, characteristics, role and responsibilities, etc. I may choose to deny such a person’s existence in the face of this, but really the only rational stance I can take is to say that I haven’t met such a person yet.

The point is that a person who has not had an experience that they can attribute to a god can only say that they have not met a god yet. That’s as far as they rationally can go (and it is a ‘reasoned’ statement). This, essentially, is agnosticism, not atheism: I haven’t met/experienced God, so I am unable to confirm or deny God’s existence. Someone who has experienced God in some way can at least base his or her faith on that experience; on the other hand, no experience is at best only a basis for agnosticism.

On this basis, to be an atheist is to take a faith stance. It is a statement of faith to say, “I believe there is no God.” This is not a rational statement in the sense that it can be reasoned out logically. Whether it is reasonable or not to take this stance is a debatable point. Can someone provide a logical reason for believing that there is no god at all, anywhere? If pressed, would they not have to fall back on saying that they have not met a god yet? If so, then perhaps there is no such thing as an atheist!

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I once knew someone who was offended when I asked them if they were agnostic or atheist.

Their view was that this labeled them from a religious perspective - that this presupposed the question of God was important.

Their view was that whether God existed or not was completely unimportant. Not just that they didn't care, that there was no reason for the question to occur.

I have to say I found it one of the most disturbing views I've heard... more disturbing than biblical satanism.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
craigb, this is a remarkably black-white view. The reality for those of us who struggle with faith at various times in our lives is very much as Adeoatus has said.

Some days I believe in God, the fulness of his promises, the cross and the Kingdom. Some days it seems like proposterous lies or a mirage dangling in the distance to tempt a thirsty desert traveller but never quite seeming to be within reach. Mostly I'm not sure.

Calvinists beleive that God deliberately lets this happen so that we cry out to him like the psalmist crying to have the joy of his salvation restored.

God allows (indeed controls) the ebb and flow of your faith in order to woo you into greater and greater intimacy with him. You see the irony is this: the more you are desperate for God to be real (even though you doubt) the more God is actively reorientating your appetites toward him as the ultimate satisfaction of the universe. It's just part of what it is to be a Christian.

[ 11. May 2006, 21:14: Message edited by: m.t-tomb ]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I once knew someone who was offended when I asked them if they were agnostic or atheist.

Their view was that this labeled them from a religious perspective - that this presupposed the question of God was important.

Their view was that whether God existed or not was completely unimportant. Not just that they didn't care, that there was no reason for the question to occur.

I have to say I found it one of the most disturbing views I've heard... more disturbing than biblical satanism.

I think the mere fact that you had the conversation with them proved the point that it wasn't unimportant; it sounds as though they preferred to duck the issue, rather than try to talk about it, though a more honest answer from them would then have been that he or she really had too many other more pressing things to think about. Would that be the case, perhaps? Or did he or she have reasons to support what was said?
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Personal issues, I think. I left it alone afterwards.

--------------------

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

quote:

Hmmm... I can sort of understand this, because I get the same way when people ask me what `star sign' I am. My polite answer is ``Don't know, don't care''. My impolite answer is ``Why do you imagine that I'm stupid enough to take any interest at all in such obvious bollocks?''

Although I can imagine being an atheist or an agnostic, I can't ever imagine thinking that questions of religion are the province of the incurably stupid. But clearly some people do take such a view.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveTom:
If rational and empirical evidence cannot apprehend God, or indeed any truth-claim about religion, morality, etc. (which I believe to be the case), but faith can, then what is faith? What does the word mean?

An instinctive sense of the way things are?
A way of life that works?
A way of looking at the world that works?
A set of philosophical propositions that have given up the search for proof?
A combination of some/all/none/one/both of the above, or something else entirely?

(Not rhetorical questions, but a genuine enquiry.)

I think it may be a combination of the above. Gosh, that's not very helpful, is it? But I think it's more. But in so asserting I acknowledge that my faith is based on tradition plus experience, and that this experience cannot be empirically meaningful to anyone else, and that I may in fact be delusional.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M: perhaps there is no such thing as an atheist!
Okay, you guys want to be allowed to define God however you want him (or not at all) and I’m not even allowed to define MYSELF??

I choose to use the term ‘atheist’ because it seems the best term for communicating my position, which is after all the purpose of a word. If somebody said to me that they were an agnostic, I would probably ascribe to them one or more of the following positions:
1) I’ve never thought about religion
2) I would like to have a religion and I am convinced by some religious ideas but I am still wavering
3) I dislike organised religion but like healing crystals and I’m reading a book on Buddhism
4) I don’t think the question of whether God exists could ever possibly be answered

Now I might be wrong about this hypothetical agnostic, and they would have to set me straight. But saying straight out that I’m an atheist makes things clear and has the great advantage that any subsequent interest I show in religion will be a bonus, rather than having to disappoint people who take agnostic to mean ‘waiting to be converted’.

Also, I have said before that I need a definition (even a vague one) of God for the word to make any sense to me. There are some definitions of God for which I would say ‘I believe there is no God’. Not ‘I KNOW there is no God’ but ‘It seems most likely to me that there is no God’. There are other definitions of God about which I would say ‘I don’t currently believe this, because I haven’t seen any evidence for it, but it is possible.’ However, these tend to be definitions of God which veer off towards the abstract, metaphorical or non-interventionist.

One term I sometimes use is that I am ‘not religious’, and I think this is the term of choice for many atheists who are trying not to offend. It is also completely untrue, since there are ways in which I am very religious.

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

quote:
Originally posted by Crooked Cucumber:

quote:
Originally posted by Wannabe Heretic: The main problem that a lot of atheists I think have with Christians ... is: If you think this is objectively true, ie that it will have some effect on people other than through their belief, then people ought to know and believe it and you should try harder to make them do so.
What do you think I'm trying to do?

In fact, I don't have the talent for this. What I can (perhaps) do, and try to do, is to counter illogical objections people raise to theistic and Christian belief. But, in the end, I think very, very few people come to Christianity (or any other religion) because they are persuaded by logic that its propositions are objectively true. I think people come to Christianity either because they have some sort of `conversion experience', or because of the good witness of other Christians. I always found direct evangelism a real turn-off.

Oh, I agree - I don't like to have religion shoved down my throat at all, and in fact I've found that those who do it most are those who believe that a person cn be converted through reason. There is an underlying assumption that atheists are ignorant or unintelligent which is not a good technique for getting them on your side! And you're doing a good job, if rather quixotically in this particular case. Keep it up! [Smile]

But it's a catch 22 situation, and I apologise on behalf of my fellow atheists for the fact that it is! Because the 'good witness of other Christians' is undermined, in the eyes of sceptics, if they do not seem to be completely and horribly convinced. One thing that always confused me was the fact that I had friends at school (and at uni, although they were good enough not to mention it) who believed I was going to hell. I thought, if you really believed in your heart of hearts that I am going to spend an eternity in agony, put there by your very best friend, would you be sitting here chatting to me and smiling??

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

quote:
Okay, you guys want to be allowed to define God however you want him (or not at all) and I’m not even allowed to define MYSELF??

The risk associated with using labels that come from the public domain to describe ourselves is that they can act as ‘red flag’ words, because different people understand different things by them and judge accordingly. Examples of such labels within Christianity (and the Ship) include: Evangelical; Charismatic; Liberal; Fundamental; etc. The problem is not confined to religion, either; recent examples include The National Spastics Society and The Voluntary Euthanasia Society, both of which had to change their titles to avoid red flag words.

I’m with you on the need to find a word that best defines your position and agree that whatever word is used needs defining. Your earlier post on this point started me thinking about the use of the word ‘atheist’ in your context, because I had never heard it used that way before (one of the benefits of being on the Ship!). Having thought about it, though, I have to say that I am not convinced that ‘atheist’ does your position justice. I would think that your position would be agnostic or sceptical, depending on the definition of god you are presented with (‘god’ with a small ‘g’, to refer to any god, not just the Judaeo-Christian God).

I’m probably not explaining this very well, but my reasoning goes something like this, based on the following definitions:
An agnostic is someone who is undecided about the existence of a god (a fairly neutral stance);
A sceptic is someone who has not been convinced of the arguments for the existence of a god (a more active stance); and
An atheist is one who denies the existence of a god (a conclusive decision).

To allow ‘atheism’ to include the position of one who grew up without the awareness of a god defers, to my mind, the question of the the existence of any god. Such a person has not been faced with a definition of a god that they can react to, which is why they are – at best – at the agnostic level. They do not know whether a god exists or not; in fact they cannot in fairness be drawn to any conclusion until they have the definition of a god to react to – the very point you are making.

I admit that you could argue over my definitions above, but I adopt them because when ‘atheism’ is defined too broadly it squeezes out the definitions of ‘agnosticism’ and ‘scepticism’. I don’t sense that you are stating your position to be one of conclusive denial for the existence of a god; rather you are saying, “Give me a definition and let me see how I react to it.” Is that a fair summary?

I’m not offended by the word ‘atheist’, by the way; but I have had trouble finding a justification for its position. I grew up at a time when atheism had virtually become an unquestioned part of my peers’ worldview. Yet if ever I pressed my friends for a definition or reason for their stance, I would be answered with something glib, such as, “Because it’s obvious!” Or, “Science proves me right”. I concluded that atheism is a faith statement, not a reasoned position. I have yet to find an atheist who can reasonably justify their stance and I am, therefore, agnostic as their existence! As I argued in my earlier post, the most they can say is that they haven’t met a god yet (in which case, they are agnostic). To bring this back to our discussion, is it the case that you haven’t yet met a definition of a god that you can draw a reasoned position on? From your statement...

quote:
There are other definitions of God about which I would say ‘I don’t currently believe this, because I haven’t seen any evidence for it, but it is possible.
...I gather that you are agnostic, basing your position on some of the definitions you have come across.

My apologies if I have come across in a confrontational way – I don’t mean to. I just have concerns over the use of the word ‘atheist’. I certainly do not think that those who adopt that position are unintelligent, in fact, it would take a great deal of bravery to take the leap of faith that reaches that stance and then to try and live consistently according to it.

However, I can see your dilemma. If you say you are agnostic, lots of well meaning people of faith will try to convert you! The question is, should one adopt labels depending on who you are talking to, or should one take a label that can be defined consistently in a way that accurately reflects one’s stance?

Thanks for getting me thinking on this!

[ 14. May 2006, 08:10: Message edited by: Nigel M ]

Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M: Your earlier post on this point started me thinking about the use of the word ‘atheist’ in your context, because I had never heard it used that way before (one of the benefits of being on the Ship!). Having thought about it, though, I have to say that I am not convinced that ‘atheist’ does your position justice.
I am surprised you have never heard the word ‘atheist’ used in the way that I use it since I have always assumed it is the most common if not only definition used by atheists about themselves. That is, no belief in God, verging on active disbelief. Perhaps you have only heard it used by non-atheists, which is like me defining Christian by how atheists define them.

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M:
I’m probably not explaining this very well, but my reasoning goes something like this, based on the following definitions:
An agnostic is someone who is undecided about the existence of a god (a fairly neutral stance);
A sceptic is someone who has not been convinced of the arguments for the existence of a god (a more active stance); and
An atheist is one who denies the existence of a god (a conclusive decision).

I would say my position is, according to your definitions, somewhere between sceptic and atheist; that is, I am much more convinced by the arguments against the existence of a God than the arguments for the existence of a God.
Nobody who is basing their position on reason and evidence rather than on faith can come to a ‘conclusive denial’. If evidence suddenly appeared, then I would change my position. But I do not expect any evidence to appear. If I were applying the same level of conviction that I would need to make a statement in a history article then yes, I would say ‘there is no God’. But even if I didn’t feel that there was any evidence either way, I would consider that not believing would be the default, and the burden of proof would be on those who wanted me to believe. Making a distinction between ‘lack of belief’ and ‘disbelief’ strikes me as rather hair-splitting.

Also I don’t like the term ‘sceptic’ because it has negative connotations, and makes me sound unfriendly!

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M: To allow ‘atheism’ to include the position of one who grew up without the awareness of a god defers, to my mind, the question of the the existence of any god. Such a person has not been faced with a definition of a god that they can react to, which is why they are – at best – at the agnostic level. They do not know whether a god exists or not; in fact they cannot in fairness be drawn to any conclusion until they have the definition of a god to react to – the very point you are making.
I spend lots of time on the ship and at church – if I haven’t yet come across a definition of god that I can react to, how long am I supposed to wait before I can call myself an atheist?

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M: I admit that you could argue over my definitions above, but I adopt them because when ‘atheism’ is defined too broadly it squeezes out the definitions of ‘agnosticism’ and ‘scepticism’.
A definition of the word ‘atheist’ that makes it meaningless is as unhelpful and ridiculous a definition as one which makes it too broad.

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M: I’m not offended by the word ‘atheist’, by the way
But I am offended by your denial that I exist! I don’t take it personally because I know you don’t intend to be rude. You are not the first Christian to try and define atheists out of existence, and I’m sure you won’t be the last, but it strikes me as a cheap way of trying to fiddle the statistics.

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wannabe Heretic: I thought, if you really believed in your heart of hearts that I am going to spend an eternity in agony, put there by your very best friend, would you be sitting here chatting to me and smiling?? [/QB]
Well, I don't believe that but if I did, I probably still wouldn't try too much hard core evangelism on you because I think it wouldn't work. I woudl figure that letting you know what I believe and then waiting might be the best way. The church I know of that does believe that used to say just pray about them and God will do the rest...if it's his will.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

Gwai, I've heard that explanation before and I'm afraid it doesn't convince me. Yes, a purely rational, rather emotionless person would indeed think 'This person is going to suffer horribly, but the best way of rescuing them is to be nice and wait and hope'. Just like a rational person, on seeing someone drowning or burning to death would go 'I must call the emergency services; they will know what to do better than I can'. That is indeed the sensible reaction (and I certainly would not blame anyone for not wanting to rush in and get drowned or burned to death!)

But any human being with human feelings, whatever they might sensibly choose to do, would find it a traumatic situation and wish that they could rush in and drag the person out kicking and screaming. After all, it is extremely unlikely that I will ever convert to (especially that form of) Christianity, and anyway I might die at any time. If any of my friends really believed that I'm going to hell I would expect them to be pretty upset about it.

Unless of course you are calvinist, in which case you're on the winning side and don't really give a damn about the rest.

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

quote:
But it's a catch 22 situation, and I apologise on behalf of my fellow atheists for the fact that it is! Because the 'good witness of other Christians' is undermined, in the eyes of sceptics, if they do not seem to be completely and horribly convinced.

Yes, that's a bummer. For my part, I find complete and horrible conviction on more-or-less any subject rather disturbing.

I think part of the problem is that people (including Christians; perhaps especially Christians) mix up conviction and committment. Complete committment, I submit, is a good thing; but I have a feeling that some people then conclude (consciously or otherwise) that complete conviction is a good and necessary thing.

I have seen people (presumably intelligent and lucid people) express on this forum the notion of being more certain of the existence of God than the existence of other people. As you might imagine, such a position baffles the hell out of me.

But to live out the implications of your belief, come what may and at whatever cost, when your belief falls short of certainty, seems very laudable to me.

quote:

I thought, if you really believed in your heart of hearts that I am going to spend an eternity in agony, put there by your very best friend, would you be sitting here chatting to me and smiling??

I think that most Christians who do ascribe to the notion of Hell, hope and trust that people they know aren't going to end up there. I assume that they hope their Hell-bound frieds will eventually see the light, even if it's only between the stirrup and the ground.

Since I'm agnostic on the subject of Hell, I don't think it's my place to worry about the states of other people's souls.

As for the issue whether there really are atheists, or whether atheists really exist...

Well, there was a time in my past when I called myself an atheist. I heard the usual spiel about how to be an atheist is to believe in something enough to disbelief it, yadda yadda yadda, and it irritated the hell out of me. As it does you, by the sound of it.

But, with hindsight, I now realize that I did at least know what it wasn't I didn't believe in -- I didn't believe in the fire-and-brimstone bastard god that most Christians I knew (at that time) subscribed to. Since I still don't believe in such a God, my position, in some sense, hasn't changed.

But I stopped calling myself an atheist when I came to appreciate that there were clearly many, many conceptualizations of God (or gods) that I had never heard of. I couldn't, in all honesty, claim that I actively disbelieved in things I knew nothing about.

Having said that, I think that materialism, as distinct from atheism, is a logically tenable position. If you rule out everything but the observable material world, that must a fortiori rule out all, or at least most, formulations of God, or gods. But to claim that I was a `materialist but not an atheist' got me odd looks a parties, so I started calling myself an agnostic instead.

The problem with materialism, as I see it, is that it rules out true free will; and I'm sure that I have true free will, even if nobody else does [Smile]

Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

Mmm, I've been thinking a lot about this since my rather intemperate last reply, and now I don't know what the hell I am. I wouldn't ever use the word 'materialist' about myself, because it has such negative connotations, but I would call myself a 'nominalist' in that I would grant only a 'subjective reality' to non-material things.

I've come to the conclusion that I am an agnostic in terms of evidence, a sceptic in terms of belief, and an atheist in terms of how I live.

That is, it is clearly possible to posit a God (if you have no qualms about defining God exactly how you wish) who by its very nature produces no clear evidence of its existence. As for example a God outside the universe and of an utterly different type to everything within the universe. Many people do define God in this way, and of course there is no evidence one way or the other, since there wouldn't be any evidence even if it did exist.

However, there is also no evidence FOR the existence of this God, nor any need to posit one, so, on the principle of Ockham's razor, I don't believe in it.

Given that I don't believe in God, I don't make use of the idea of God in questions of morality, for example. Nor do I ascribe to the other claims made by Christianity and the other religions with which I am at all familiar, such as life after death. Since these are questions on which one can expect evidence in this world, and can therefore come to a judgement, I would say I am an atheist (in as much as the word can be applied to questions rathe than the existence of God) on those questions.

I would still like to defend the word 'atheist'. 'Christian' does not mean 'somebody who believes what all christians have believed for centuries', it means 'someone who is coming from a basic culture of christianity, although perhaps changing the way in which they understand and express it'. I think the same is true of the term 'atheism', and more so since it has only been a widespread belief for a relatively short period of time.

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

I'd still like someone to explain what the difference is between 'not believing' in something (of which one HAS heard, since I've heard several definitions of God) and 'actively disbelieving' in it.

[ 15. May 2006, 19:28: Message edited by: Wannabe Heretic ]

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

Ancilla
Shipmate
# 11037

Grr, how did 'other' come out as 'rathe'??

--------------------
formerly Wannabe Heretic
Vocational musings

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016