homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Bareback Mountain (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Bareback Mountain
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok. So I waited and waited and nobody started a Heavenly thread about going to see Brokeback Mountain. Pages about Narnia. Pages about King Kong. But not a word about the movie that's getting rave critical reviews and bunches of awards. That has really surprised me on the ship, it being so liberal and all.

So what's the deal? It's an extremely good movie. Everybody knows it's an extremely good movie. Are only gay people going to see it? Have any straight people on the ship seen it? Or are you kinda curious but maybe a little afraid to be seen standing in line to get tickets? Or despite that fact that some of your best friends are gay don't want to maybe see something, you know, icky, on the big screen. Just wait and maybe watch on DVD?

Or is it the cowboy thing? Will and Grace is fine and funny because it reinforces stereotypes in a humorous way. But cowboys screwing. There are limits you know.

Really, what's the deal? If you don't have a 'problem' with homosexuality and you generally like to catch the new, good flicks, are you going to go? If not, why not?

Lord knows I've gone to enough movies that had men and women kissing on each other.

[took pity on Sine]

[ 06. April 2006, 09:11: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sophie Bell
Shipmate
# 8822

- Posted      Profile for Sophie Bell   Author's homepage   Email Sophie Bell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Honestly, I pick what movies I want to see in the theater by how viewing them in the theater will differ from viewing them on my T.V. Action-packed, special effects laden stuff will look better on the big screen than my 21 inch. So we spend the $10 on the "blockbusters" and wait to see the sensitive, emotional, well acted dramas on video.

Probably not the best choice in a "voting with my money" sort of way, but it works for us. So I want to see Brokeback Mountian, but I'll see it later, when it's out on video. (Probably much later, seeing as how we still haven't seen Crash or Million Dollar Baby yet either.)

Posts: 151 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I need to go see it again to get the title right in the OP. [Hot and Hormonal]

(The thread title of course was deliberate.)

--------------------

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've been busy--there was this little thing called "Christmas" to deal with. I find watching anyone kissing in the movies totally hot unless they're really, really ugly.

As to your disappointment about there not being a thread on the movie yet, there hasn't been a thread on "Good Night and Good Luck," "Match Point," "Munich," or "Syriana." What prejudices do you suppose we all have based on the non-existence of those threads?

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am gay and I still haven't seen it.

Maybe when it comes out on DVD.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
fionn
Shipmate
# 8534

- Posted      Profile for fionn   Email fionn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is on my 'to see' list but I doubt that it will play within my driving radius.
I definitely want to see what is causing Rev Robertson etal so much heartburn.
It it were not for Rev Robertson, I would not go because I have little if any positive use for the film critics. They tend to like pretentious poorly-scripted plotless pooferies that are politically correct, anti-semitic garbage.
I tend to like movies like Narnia, Casanova, LotR, etc.

Posts: 179 | From: horsecountry | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

I meant this more Purgatorially than my OP sounds. I was wondering why nobody had started a Heaven Thread and then saw this article today in our local paper.

(And no, I don't live in Miami, but it wasn't online in our paper. Had to do a little work to find it.)

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
What prejudices do you suppose we all have based on the non-existence of those threads?

There has been a huge amount of publicity about it, unlike the other films you listed. Those kinds of "things in the news" normally get a lot of play on the ship in my opinion. So I thought it odd.

Then I read the article I just linked to and wondered if there was a connection and what people thought. Purgatory seems to be the place to ask what people think.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I've read the short story it was based on... how many other people here can say that, hmmmm? (It's a gorgeous, but sad, story. Don't know how faithful the movie is to it.)

The next movie on my "must see" list is Good Night and Good Luck. Brokeback Mountain is number two.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally would love to go see it but I dont know where it is playing. I don't think it will come to my conservative little town, and my friends don't want to go to Atlanta (nearest major city) to see it. So I will have to wait until DVD. Sad, because both men are hot. [Biased]

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Maybe I need to go see it again to get the title right in the OP. [Hot and Hormonal]

(The thread title of course was deliberate.)

Honey, every gay man I know has called it that.

I made the mistake at the company Christmas party.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
fionn
Shipmate
# 8534

- Posted      Profile for fionn   Email fionn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having difficulty understanding the 'ick' factor in two men kissing. I attended a very conservative pentacostal church as a young child were it was customary for the younger members to kiss the elders on the check and now it doesn't seem to bother me to see two men kissing in a passionate manner. It must be a cultural thingee.

I am amused by those who seem to think that cowboys didn't engage in similar behavior. Women were few and far between and the men could be away from anything feminine for more than a year at a time. But then again, most people have never really paid attention to reality.

Posts: 179 | From: horsecountry | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:

Any particular reason?

I'm finding I'm really curious about this. I originally wasn't going to go see it because you know, every queer in town was going to go and I just didn't want to be one of the lemmings. But then I decided (for me personally) I was just being contrary (my usual state) so went ahead and went. But mind you I went to the early show on a weeknight.

(And actually the mountain scenery is quite spectacular on the big screen.)

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I'll come out of the closet a bit here and say I find the idea of two men kissing really sexy.

But then, I read slash fiction avidly too.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just have difficulty being entertained by any movie that focuses on emotion as its primary subject. If I'm to experience a vicarious thrill through a story, it has to be outlandish, impossible fantasy stuff with lots of eye-popping visual effects.

Sad, I know, but for me, emotion needs to be experienced up-close, live and personal... much like music. It just doesn't work as escapist fare on the big-screen.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
What prejudices do you suppose we all have based on the non-existence of those threads?

There has been a huge amount of publicity about it, unlike the other films you listed. Those kinds of "things in the news" normally get a lot of play on the ship in my opinion. So I thought it odd.

Then I read the article I just linked to and wondered if there was a connection and what people thought. Purgatory seems to be the place to ask what people think.

It took me to last Sunday evening to see it. I was kinda wanting to wait for DVD, which is how I see most movies these days. For example, the last movie I saw in a theater involved hobbits. My partner had other ideas, and it really wasn't all that hard to get me to change my mind.

If nothing else, there is curiosity factor: how convincing was it?

(I do not watch Will and Grace because there is something wrong with Will having a deeper relationship with Grace than any man on the show. I know this is, unfortunately, the case for many gay men, but I don't find it interesting. Just sad.)

When all was said and done, it was a good "pre-Stonewall" look at relationships. I'm sure some would have done it differently, empahsizing other themes.

I particularly found it interesting in how the movie showed the relationship between the two men to never deepen to any extent. This makes a lot of sense for the type of relationship they had, and was a bit of welcome realism. It added to the tragedy.

As a sidenote, I found it interesting that they filmed it in Alberta. (I kept thinking those mountains looked like the Canadian Rockies and not the Rockies in Wyoming.) Of all the Canadian provinces, it is the last one I would have guessed. British Columbia would have been more expected on my part. (And BC does have cowboys. Trust me.)

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
Sad, I know, but for me, emotion needs to be experienced up-close, live and personal... much like music.

So are you saying you don't have CDs but only go to live concerts?

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I meant this more Purgatorially than my OP sounds. I was wondering why nobody had started a Heaven Thread and then saw this article today in our local paper.

We only know what you mean if that's what you type.

I read the original NY Times article and thought it stank. It was juvenile and stupid and the guy who wrote it needs to grow the hell up.

Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
We only know what you mean if that's what you type.

Yes. That's why I typed some more.

What did you think was juvenile and stupid about it?

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Any particular reason?

I'm finding I'm really curious about this. I originally wasn't going to go see it because you know, every queer in town was going to go and I just didn't want to be one of the lemmings. But then I decided (for me personally) I was just being contrary (my usual state) so went ahead and went. But mind you I went to the early show on a weeknight.

(And actually the mountain scenery is quite spectacular on the big screen.)

I am definitely one of the few who haven't gone. Almost everyone I know has gone.

I also have that contrarian streak :-)

I guess that I have been disappointed with the quality of many gay-themed films I have seen.

What did you think about the story, acting and dialogue? Do you think, on the merits of the film itself, it warrants all the notariety and nominations it has received?

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So are you saying you don't have CDs but only go to live concerts?

I own about 10 CDs and used to be an avid concert attendee. Much like my emotional life, live music has been on hold recently. Sign of age, I suppose.

I think I'll get off my duff and go see Breakback.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
What did you think about the story, acting and dialogue? Do you think, on the merits of the film itself, it warrants all the notariety and nominations it has received?

I don't know if that requires a separate Heaven thread but it's all quite good. Excellent in fact.

And to me the 'gay thing' was pretty much just a hook for the freedom and romance we want but don't find in the dull routine of our daily lives. For the bad choices we make, straight or gay.

And the contrast between the freedom in the mountains and the crushing dreariness of everyday life in the bleak plains was also compelling.

Frankly, I think if the guys had been able to get together they would have probably hated each other's guts inside of five years. It's easy to be romantic a couple of times a year when you're off on vacation.

But then I'm a cynic.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:
What did you think was juvenile and stupid about it?

Unfortunately, it was published over a week ago so is no longer available online. The guy in the Herald characterizes it briefly. It was very nudge-nudge-wink-wink, all about how much the guy really wanted to see this movie but was afraid it would be so powerful, this movie about icons of maleness being gay, that he, this wussy guy in loafers and a tie who has to have his latte every morning, would turn gay if he saw the movie. It was tongue in cheek, so the reader was supposed to think, "Of course he doesn't really mean this," but the unintended irony was of course that he did mean it.

Generally it's women who go to see movies about relationships. Make a movie about a relationship between gay guys and the gay guys will show up. I went to see "Rumor Has It" (a friend wanted to see it, not my choice) last weekend, and the audience was, predictably, full of women. If there were gay guys there, they were travelling below my gaydar. So the presumption that straight men are staying away because of the "ick" factor seems faulty to me. Most straight guys don't want to go to any slow-moving film about a tragic relationship. They only went to "Titanic" for the disaster aspect and special effects.

Sine Nomine

# 66

That makes sense to me. Thanks. I hadn't thought of it that way. Too boring, not too icky.

--------------------

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd composed a long post all about why I haven't seen it yet and realised I was going on the defensive. Really just haven't had the chance yet. I think it's been released at a bad time of year for getting huge swarms of people going at once. People are still recovering from Christmas and New Year. I'm still only halfway through visiting folks.

I thought that article was juvenile due to the fact the writer was concerned watching this film about Gay Cowboys may turn him gay. [Roll Eyes]

One review of the film did say how it reminded them of a South Park episode which had a film in all about gay cowbiys sitting around eating pudding. Any pudding in it?

quote:
Lord knows I've gone to enough movies that had men and women kissing on each other.
I assume this is tongue in cheek but just as some people feel uncomfortablee watching gay love scenes because of the protaganists involved rather than the actions, do people ever feel uneasy watching straight love scenes for the same reason?
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm heterosexual, and as far I can remember always have been. But I used to watch "Queer as Folk" on SBS fairly regularly. Actually, it's the only soap I ever followed for some time other than "The Storm Rages Twice" (how's that for weird taste? [Biased] ). So I doubt that I can be shocked by any homosexual scenes Brokeback Mountain may contain...

Yes, the cowboy represents a cultural male archetype who happens to be heterosexual (although this is not a signal feature, the cowboy is not a cowboy because he bonks women all the time). The cowboy of cultural myth is also more or less a white Caucasian (possibly somewhat Indian, possibly somewhat Spanish, ...). That's also factually incorrect, since for example many real cowboys were blacks.

So, well, what about a movie which challenges this archetype? Personally, it doesn't make me feel "icky", it mostly makes me yawn. OK, yeah, there are gay cowboys. OK, yeah, they suffer from prejudice. Thanks, now that you mention it, it's fairly obvious that this is the case. Are you collecting money for Gay Cowboy Affirmative Action, or something? No? You just want to overload my easy entertainment with yet another repeat of a well-known (and yes, worthy) cultural agenda? Well, sorry, I will get my cheap thrills somewhere else. Make a good TV documentary, I will probably end up watching that.

Next I will discover that Matthew Kane is actually a repressed Strogg-sexual... [Roll Eyes]

P.S.: It never fails to amaze me when somebody (like the Miami Herald dude) goes on about how weird it is that heterosexual men view lesbian sex so differently to male homosexual action. In heterosexual male fantasy land, two lesbians getting all steamy mean that I'm about to get two instead of one willing female partners and I don't need to bother about foreplay anymore than I feel like. But two homosexual guys, well, are just two guys doing intimate things I don't want to do. What sort of heterosexual fantasy am I supposed to base on that? Well, perhaps they just discovered their gayness and leave behind two highly frustrated wives who are getting it on next door. I better go and check. See ya.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was a fantastic movie, the acting great, especially Heath Ledger, and the cinematography (sp?) superb. I liked Capote better, Phillip Seymor Hoffman is my favorite actor.

--------------------
All you have is right now.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Yes, the cowboy represents a cultural male archetype who happens to be heterosexual (although this is not a signal feature, the cowboy is not a cowboy because he bonks women all the time).

Yes, this aspect of the discussions in the newspapers has puzzled me. How being gay makes a cowboy any less a cowboy or any less masculine I don't understand at all. Especially since while masculinity may be defined in terms of desiring women, it is far more often defined against femininity. A cowboy, already by definition a man's man, who only wants to have sex with men doesn't seem to me to be the least bit feminized by that.

quote:
P.S.: It never fails to amaze me when somebody (like the Miami Herald dude) goes on about how weird it is that heterosexual men view lesbian sex so differently to male homosexual action. In heterosexual male fantasy land, two lesbians getting all steamy mean that I'm about to get two instead of one willing female partners and I don't need to bother about foreplay anymore than I feel like. But two homosexual guys, well, are just two guys doing intimate things I don't want to do. What sort of heterosexual fantasy am I supposed to base on that? Well, perhaps they just discovered their gayness and leave behind two highly frustrated wives who are getting it on next door. I better go and check. See ya.
[Killing me]

Two gay guys are just two guys doing things you don't want to do, so you're not interested. But two lesbians are just two women doing things I don't want to do, but I still think it's sexy to watch. As I said, any reasonably attractive people kissing in the movies is fine by me.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Generally it's women who go to see movies about relationships. Make a movie about a relationship between gay guys and the gay guys will show up. I went to see "Rumor Has It" (a friend wanted to see it, not my choice) last weekend, and the audience was, predictably, full of women. If there were gay guys there, they were travelling below my gaydar. So the presumption that straight men are staying away because of the "ick" factor seems faulty to me. Most straight guys don't want to go to any slow-moving film about a tragic relationship. They only went to "Titanic" for the disaster aspect and special effects.

I don't like slow-moving films about tragic relationships. Remains of the Day is my idea of Hell. I can do about an hour of unfillable yearning and then I want everyone to get together. So that's why I'm not going to see it. I expect it will depress me, because I will want them to be together and happy forever.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
[...] But two homosexual guys, well, are just two guys doing intimate things I don't want to do. What sort of heterosexual fantasy am I supposed to base on that?...

I didn't realize breakback was a porno-movie. Evidence suggests it's an emotional drama.

Oh, that's right. "Gay" is all about sex. I forgot.

--------------------

GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well RuthW at least we agree on Brokeback Mountain [Smile] Again i thought it was a great movie and Ang Lee is a versatile and great director.

--------------------
All you have is right now.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
I don't like slow-moving films about tragic relationships. Remains of the Day is my idea of Hell. I can do about an hour of unfillable yearning and then I want everyone to get together. So that's why I'm not going to see it. I expect it will depress me, because I will want them to be together and happy forever.

My theory of the moment is that this is because you're happily married. I have found that romantic comedy no longer entertains me, because everyone gets to be together and happy forever but me. Whereas tragic/unrequited/unfulfilled love--I'm all over it. I loved "Remains of the Day," both the book and the movie.
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It hasn't opened in Idaho yet, though they're selling advance tickets. And apparently the theater chain in Salt Lake that was going to open it got cold feet. I'm going to go and see how many of the audience are wearing cowboy boots...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about that, Ruth. I'm not happily married or partnered at the moment, and I really can't think of a more hellish two hours than to spend it watching two people moon over each other, regardless of their respective genders. I'd rather pound tent stakes into my eye sockets, really. My current Netflix queue consists of Profit, Family Guy, National Treasure, X-Men, Run Lola Run and Star Wars, because I missed Episodes II and III in the theaters and I want to be well-informed when I slag them off. I struggle daily with keeping Episode II in the queue because one of my (heterosexual) male friends said it was basically a two-hour douche commercial. Fabulous.

Plus I don't go to movies very often -- the last one I sat through was Prisoner of Azkaban, which was what? almost two years ago? Sitting still in the theater for two hours where I can't pause the DVD to take a whiz or get popcorn that doesn't cost $37 an ounce PLUS I am subjected to other people's yakking doesn't really strike me as being worth $10.

It is nice to know my crappy attention span, cheapness and utter loathing for relationship films is easily explained away as some sort of latent homophobia, though. And Sine, if you've been "waiting and waiting" for someone to start a Heaven thread, why didn't you do it? Clearly your "new thread" button isn't broken because, well, here we are. So what is your excuse?

[ 11. January 2006, 04:03: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I don't know about that, Ruth. I'm not happily married or partnered at the moment, and I really can't think of a more hellish two hours than to spend it watching two people moon over each other, regardless of their respective genders. I'd rather pound tent stakes into my eye sockets, really.

I did say it was my "theory of the moment." Clearly that moment has now passed. [Smile]
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hee! I find it interesting, though, that the movies Sine cited as his evidence are movies where things actually happen. Particularly special effects. In all my years here I don't ever remember seeing threads discussing romantic movies of any sort. There my very well have been some, I don't know, but I can't remember them.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

The various incarnations of "Pride and Prejudice" have been discussed pretty thoroughly. But generally you're right, relationship movies haven't been discussed much on the Ship. Discussion of blockbuster movies takes off because so many people see those movies. Movies aimed at smaller audiences are harder to discuss effectively here. "Pride and Prejudice" is the exception, perhaps because Austen-lovers are over-represented on the Ship. And interest in the movies of "Pride and Prejudice" stems mostly from love for the book, which is not at all about people mooning over each other.

[Edit: Originally I said P&P is not about people mooning each other. Just thought I'd share that with everyone who missed it.]

[ 11. January 2006, 04:22: Message edited by: RuthW ]

ReginaShoe
Shipmate
# 4076

- Posted      Profile for ReginaShoe   Author's homepage   Email ReginaShoe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't seen it myself, but I only see maybe a couple of movies a year in the theaters, so give me time to get around to it after the DVD comes out. I'll want to see it then, but my husband probably won't just because he doesn't go for emotional dramas. Plus, he is a big "South Park" fan and would probably get the giggles waiting for the pudding to show up.

However, I mostly had to post on this thread to ask - did anyone catch the "Boondocks" comic strip on the week of Dec. 5th? It's the one where Grandad wants to go off to see a movie, and picks "Brokeback Mountain" because a movie about cowboys has to be manly, right? It was hilarious. Sadly, it is no longer readily available on the "ucomics" web site that features the "Boondocks" strip (you have to register to see farther back than two weeks ago), but one of the strips and some lines can be seen here.

(Shouting in the theater: "GET OFF HIM!")

[ 11. January 2006, 04:45: Message edited by: ReginaShoe ]

--------------------
"If you have any poo, fling it now." - Mason the chimp

Posts: 598 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
quote:
[...] But two homosexual guys, well, are just two guys doing intimate things I don't want to do. What sort of heterosexual fantasy am I supposed to base on that?...

I didn't realize breakback was a porno-movie. Evidence suggests it's an emotional drama.

There are straight and gay sexual acts protrayed. I didn't throw up for any of them.

And one more thing. When my partner came home tonight from work, he handed me the short story in a book saying, "I guess you don't know how much that movie affected me."

"I do now."

"That movie has made me very thankful that we are living now..."

I wonder if the young queans out there that are waiting for the DVD so they can do a stop action on the jumping-off-the-cliff scene are having the same reaction?

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
It hasn't opened in Idaho yet, though they're selling advance tickets. And apparently the theater chain in Salt Lake that was going to open it got cold feet. I'm going to go and see how many of the audience are wearing cowboy boots...

I did wear a pair of cowboy boots and a western-style coat that looked similar to many of the ones worn in the movie.

I decided to be polite and not wear a cowboy hat to a movie theater. Someone might be sitting behind me.

The first time I was ever in Wyoming was in 1963. I was 8.5 years old. That little fact kept running through my mind over and over.

All this while thinking that it really didn't look like Wyoming, but Canada. Us detail-oriented types that once lived only 10 miles from the Wyoming border and frequently visited the then-rector of the parish from which Matthew Shepherd was buried from can be easily distracted.

There. I did it. I brought up Matthew Shepherd. I feel better now.

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

OK, so Sine asks in the OP whether heteros are not going to the movie because gay sex is "icky". Then Sine links to an article in the Miami Herald which elaborates on the point. Then I write quite a bit about how I don't mind seeing gay sex, but that I watch Westerns for easy entertainment and tragic gay cowboy love just ain't. And then I add a P.S. ridiculing the Miami Herald guy's take on men enjoying lesbian sex while mildly mocking my own fantasies.

Then you selectively cite from that P.S. and claim that I have thereby reduced "gay" to sex. Is that fair?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
quote:

OK, so Sine asks in the OP whether heteros are not going to the movie because gay sex is "icky". Then Sine links to an article in the Miami Herald which elaborates on the point. Then I write quite a bit about how I don't mind seeing gay sex, but that I watch Westerns for easy entertainment and tragic gay cowboy love just ain't. And then I add a P.S. ridiculing the Miami Herald guy's take on men enjoying lesbian sex while mildly mocking my own fantasies.

Then you selectively cite from that P.S. and claim that I have thereby reduced "gay" to sex. Is that fair?

(Note to Gort: Be careful with the flippant lines. This is Purgatory. They tend to be more serious here.)

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Walk the Line" is getting rave reviews, too. Do you think all Southerners (or at least, country music fans) should see that? I don't think subject matter necessarily gets people out to the theatres. I think it's just that some folks are movie-goers, and some are not.

I don't go to R-rated movies, period, so that's my main reason. Also, somewhat like Gort, I don't generally go to the gut-wrenching type films. I use movies for entertainment only, so I generally go for comedies or adventures.

I haven't seen Narnia nor King Kong yet, and most movies I do just wait to rent, unless they're "big screen epics".

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:

OK, let me narrow it down a bit:
quote:
From Ingo's relevent post:

But two homosexual guys, well, are just two guys doing intimate things I don't want to do.

Pardon me, but I think there may be more to this movie than just two guys doing intimate things you don't want to do.

[note to Bede: I wasn't being flip]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my answer is easy. I hate movie theatres. I find THEM icky. [Projectile]

last week I went and saw narnia in the theatre, and it was my first true mass-theatre movie since... since... um...

never mind. can't remember.

I do go to a dinner theatre in Anchorage occationally, where they play essentially DVD releases but on a big screen. but it's in a very nice, clean place, and they serve Guinness.

'nuff said.

I plan to see Brokeback Mountain there, a few co-workers and myself are planning on a carpooling lets-go-drink-stout-eat-nachos-and-watch-a-flick trip. last one we did was Hitchhikers.

I dont normally like great DRAMA movies either, but I frankly want to see this one because of the plain old BALLS it took to produce it.

I'm enjoying the few reactions to the movie I've read so far, thank you. as a strait chick, I do want to hear reactions from gay men and lesbians as well. is this movie a stereotyping "nice try" or is it right on, or halfway there, or...?

Comet

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Pardon me, but I think there may be more to this movie than just two guys doing intimate things you don't want to do.

[note to Bede: I wasn't being flip]

Try reading paragraph two and three of my original post, rather than going on about its P.S., which was actually not talking about the movie. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You lot have convinced me that it might be worth catching this film. I wasn't going to bother because it's a cowboy film, and I find all of them intensely dull. (With the excaption of Blazing Saddles of course.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Try reading paragraph two and three of my original post, rather than going on about its P.S., which was actually not talking about the movie. [Disappointed]

quote:
[...] So, well, what about a movie which challenges this archetype? Personally, it doesn't make me feel "icky", it mostly makes me yawn. OK, yeah, there are gay cowboys. OK, yeah, they suffer from prejudice. Thanks, now that you mention it, it's fairly obvious that this is the case. Are you collecting money for Gay Cowboy Affirmative Action, or something? No? You just want to overload my easy entertainment with yet another repeat of a well-known (and yes, worthy) cultural agenda? Well, sorry, I will get my cheap thrills somewhere else...
Good to see you're displaying an interest in worthy cultural agendas here. Not sure how it will qualify as a cheap thrill, however.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not happily married - but I'm with Laura: slow-moving films about tragic relationships are a complete no-no. I want my love stories to end happily, dammit! I sat through Message in a Bottle recently, enjoyed it thoroughly but felt cheated at the end.

If you tell me that Bareback Mountain is a truly great piece of cinema, then I'll probably go and watch it when it arrives at the local arty-worthy cinema which will probably take at least another 6 months, but I'll have to brace myself first.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Good to see you're displaying an interest in worthy cultural agendas here. Not sure how it will qualify as a cheap thrill, however.

Well, it is an interesting coincidence that this is hitting the blogsphere right now. But Dreadnought isn't a cowboy, Safran isn't making movies, I didn't pay for watching them, and could you kindly either lay off or take it you know where? Thanks.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016