homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Preaching the gospel to Roman Catholics (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Preaching the gospel to Roman Catholics
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by IngoB:

quote:
That's actually not a joke. Or rather, it's a historic joke. It was actually said by Voltaire on his deathbed when indeed asked by a priest to renounce Satan: "Now now, dear man, this is not the time to be making enemies." (I assume he said it in French though...)
The version of events I had heard was a candle by Voltaire's bed guttered and then flared up, whereupon the old infidel muttered: "Goodness, the flames already".

In French, naturellement. Oddly enough I have always felt that if I do get to heaven, I will find Voltaire there. Make of that what you will.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Motes and beams, guys. God help us all if we turn our backs on evangelism. The church is for the lost the last and the least. But it sure ain't about doctrinal imperialism. Each of us from within the evangelical framework would do well to recognise these stormtroopers not just as mistaken, but feeding off some of the structural and cultural weaknesses within modern evangelicalism. We're just not used enough to critiquing our own faith structures - and seeing the consequences. And taking some personal responsibility to speak out about the unruly beliefs as well as the unruly children.
Totally agree Barnabas, very well said. [Overused] I've seen the unruly children form what you would call a cult by any definition if they didn't belong to one of mainstream denominations which is ultimately to their detriment as well as the church (in its broadest sense)?
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Celsti
Shipmate
# 4523

- Posted      Profile for Celsti   Email Celsti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:

What do I think about "Catholics"? I think there are a lot of committed catholics who are "saved", and a lot of nominal ones who aren't.

Isn't this where Gordon is coming from? I am well acquainted with a few Catholic people (including some in my family) who call themselves Catholic but aren't sure that God exists and don't have a handle on Jesus either. If everybody leaves them alone because "they're ok", they may never understand Catholicism, let alone have a relationship with God through it. Isn't it a kindness to at least inform them of stuff which the RCC holds to? ("Now, this may come as a shock, but there's this bloke God...")

(Sheesh! You're all so angry!!

Posts: 787 | From: the beyonderland | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dinghy Sailor said:
quote:
think I agree with everything you've said there, DD. Though I'd just like to point out that I thought were were mainly discussing what you reference below:

quote:

Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
First, I would think that any active member of a Christian denomination is likely to be "saved", so why would you assume otherwise and waste your time?

Thing is, as far as I can see it, some on this thread have been saying (to my ears, anyway) that we should assume that anyone is 'saved' whether they're an 'active' member or not. Someone very close to me claims occasionally to be a Catholic, but reacts violently to any mention of "Christians".

Sailor, I agree with you - I think the point I am making is that we should assume that the member of another Christian denomination is saved. Now it may well be that we know that they no longer believe, or have lapsed, or are having problems with their faith; in which case "Secondary Evangelisation" might be appropriate. But to assume that because they are Anglican or Catholic or Calathumpian they are not "Real Christians" [TM] is, I think, the original point of this thread - and it is this which I find objectionable. If you and I believe the same things - "I believe in God the Father almighty, etc" - even though our forms might differ, it strikes me as being hubris to claim that the other "does not know Christ" and therefore is a good target for primary evangelisation.

[ 14. February 2006, 10:48: Message edited by: Callan ]

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Celsti:
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:

What do I think about "Catholics"? I think there are a lot of committed catholics who are "saved", and a lot of nominal ones who aren't.

Isn't this where Gordon is coming from? I am well acquainted with a few Catholic people (including some in my family) who call themselves Catholic but aren't sure that God exists and don't have a handle on Jesus either. If everybody leaves them alone because "they're ok", they may never understand Catholicism, let alone have a relationship with God through it. Isn't it a kindness to at least inform them of stuff which the RCC holds to? ("Now, this may come as a shock, but there's this bloke God...")

(Sheesh! You're all so angry!!

Well, I'm not sure that God exists. That's not joined the "True Christian" requirements has it? It's like those Platinum Credit cards. Every time you think you've got near the qualification they go and change it.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the reason my faith became more central to my life back in my teenage years was because of Christian friends who sometimes talked about their faith and what was happening in their churches. They never once said I wasn't a Christian (though perhaps some of them thought it)and I certainly didn't feel I was being 'evangelised'.

Contrast that with some other friends (one of whom is still a very close friend) who took me to an evangelistic film (the tennis player one, if anyone remembers that?) which was accompanied by a talk and an invitation to come to the front and commit your life to Jesus. I didn't feel any inclination to do that, but I was even more confused when one of the friends who brought me went to the front in tears, and said afterwards she was 'recomitting' her life. The invitation to that event was definitely an attempt to 'save' me, though at least it wasn't accompanied by the 'you're going to hell' arguments I had from my other friend.

If someone says they are a Christian, a churchgoer, a Catholic, a Methodist, whatever ... I will not contradict them or judge the quality of their faith. Thank God - literally - that's His job, not mine. If something I say or do means that someone gets that bit closer to Jesus (which we all need, this side of heaven), then great. (However, that way lies the sin of pride ... it was MY witness that did it!) But I'm not here to tick boxes.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But to assume that because they are Anglican or Catholic or Calathumpian they are not "Real Christians" [TM] is, I think, the original point of this thread

But I'm not sure that what Gordon was doing wasn't trying to evangelise people like the friend I described.

quote:
If you and I believe the same things - "I believe in God the Father almighty, etc" - even though our forms might differ, it strikes me as being hubris
Yes, but the point of my last post was that I'm not at all sure that my friend does believe that, or whether being 'Catholic' wasn't just another way of identifying as Irish.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dinghy sailor:
Someone very close to me claims occasionally to be a Catholic, but reacts violently to any mention of "Christians". But then, he's of Irish descent, living in England, so I suspect the 'catholicism' could be more a cultural identifier than anything else.

[...]

I do reckon that you get more cases like the guy I've described above in Catholicism than in most other denominations, though. At least where I'm at. Again, it could be to do with knowing a fair number of people whose ancestry is Irish, living in the UK.

I've met many people in that situation - dozens probably. A large minority of them end up actively hating the church, though often still thinking of themselves as culturally "catholic". Others, perhaps rather mreo fo them, stay vaguely on the fringers, go along to Mass at Christmas or Easter and occasionally have a chat with the priest.

Our local was practically empty the day the Pope died. Until after mass, when it suddenly became very crowded indeed.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
But to assume that because they are Anglican or Catholic or Calathumpian they are not "Real Christians" [TM] is, I think, the original point of this thread

But I'm not sure that what Gordon was doing wasn't trying to evangelise people like the friend I described.
If Gordon would show his face again we could get an answer, but, having had contact with evangelicals of Gordon's stripe and having read various MM publications, I have trouble seeing it this way dinghy sailor.

The amount of prayers I heard alongg the lines of "May my Catholic friend X come to know Christ" during prayer makes me difficult to see it this way. [I was always tempted to add, "And may the Bishops of Sydney come to know Mary." [Razz] ]

[ 13. February 2006, 22:42: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I know they have a penchant for that sort of thing. But it could be either/both. I live in hope.

(As for Matthias Media, well at least from the UK arm, the Good Book Company or whatever they call themselves now, I've seen some quite good stuff recently. I don't think I'll ever quite recover from having The Blueprint thrown at me when I started asking awkward questions in my first year at uni CU.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Gordon Cheng

a child on sydney harbour
# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
quote:
quote:

If Gordon would show his face again we could get an answer, but, having had contact with evangelicals of Gordon's stripe and having read various MM publications, I have trouble seeing it this way dinghy sailor.
Here's my face Ian: [Two face]

I am still flat out busy. Somehow my employers have cottoned on to how to make me do some real work.

The studies I am working on are not polemical in nature (I am editing them by the way, not writing them). They focus on how we can gain assurance of salvation through the death of Christ alone, something that many Roman Catholics I've known have questions about and even considerable fear—and rightly so, if they have paid attention to the teaching of their denomination. The Bible studies attempt to look at passages that demonstrate how we can be confident about being right with God, so to that extent would be useful for other religiously minded people who are anxious about where they stand before God—Catholic, Orthodox or Sydney Anglican

I mustn't make rash promises about coming back to answer more questions; things are quite busy now. I am appreciating reading this discussion, though.

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Posts: 4392 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gordo that seems a most ameliorative reply. It just comes from a different universe to mine. I don't even have an assurance of the existence of God, let alone an assurance of salvation. So where would you start? [Smile]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey zap.

I don't know if I would start by giving assurance of the existence of God. For me, I just assume it.

As far as I can tell from observation, it takes years of training and education, together with an intelligence of the highest order, to even begin to question the existence of God. Even then you can't be sure that the doubts will stick permanently.

I'm a bit more tabloid in my approach. I assume the average punter (at least in the West) knows that God is there, in most cases vaguely hopes that they are going to be OK, and once past the initial embarrassment of talking religion will be happy to listen to an opinion expressed in a friendly way.

Anyway I think such assurance is ultimately God's to give and ours to receive, rather than ours to generate.

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim   Email Duo Seraphim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Cheng:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The studies I am working on are not polemical in nature (I am editing them by the way, not writing them). They focus on how we can gain assurance of salvation through the death of Christ alone, something that many Roman Catholics I've known have questions about and even considerable fear—and rightly so, if they have paid attention to the teaching of their denomination. The Bible studies attempt to look at passages that demonstrate how we can be confident about being right with God, so to that extent would be useful for other religiously minded people who are anxious about where they stand before God—Catholic, Orthodox or Sydney Anglican

You have proved my point and that of the other posters on this thread. This is about converting Catholics to your own peculiar brand of neo-Calvinism. Apparently we aren't "right with God" so long as we follow the teachings of the Catholic Church. "Considerable fear —and rightly so, if they have paid attention to the teaching of their denomination" indeed - what arrogance! And from someone who has never bothered to engage with what Catholics believe but only with an out-moded view of Catholicism that bears no relationship with reality.

The rest of what I would have to say would only be fit for Hell. Stop wasting your time - I'd have more respect if you used your energies to convert the genuninely irreligious!

--------------------
Embrace the serious whack. It's the Catholic thing to do. IngoB
The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' (Bihar al-anwar xiv, 319)

Posts: 7952 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
This is about converting Catholics to your own peculiar brand of neo-Calvinism. Apparently we aren't "right with God" so long as we follow the teachings of the Catholic Church.

I would qualify this by saying that it depends on what teachings you mean. Most of the key beliefs that the Roman church teaches, I believe.

However, my views on this are no more or less arrogant than identical truth-claims made by the Roman Catholic denomination. In fact, if I could persuade people to read their Bibles, free of comment from either Roman Catholics or Protestants (self included), I would be delighted. Certain important Roman Catholic ideas would be substantiated by this exercise. Others would be thoroughly undercut, much to the spiritual benefit of those who undertook it.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Puppycat:
quote:
You guys don't like to let things like this slip by, do you? Oh well, fair enough, the issues are quite significant. I think on that at least we can agree.
I personally would really like to know what these significant issues are and why we can agree on that fact.
Remember this is where this whole thing started, GC. I understand you are busy, but you keep coming close to articulating what you think are "the issues" or "the teachings" of RC which invite communication of the gospel. Coming close, but not quite getting there. Now Duo has made a call about how she sees what you are saying, and you are half backing away. C'mon mate. Declare yourself.

quote:
I would qualify this by saying that it depends on what teachings you mean
What teachings do you mean, Gordon? If Duo's statements need qualification, which you are saying they do, on what basis?

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However, my views on this are no more or less arrogant than identical truth-claims made by the Roman Catholic denomination.

Agreed. My problem is not that you think that you are 100% (99.9%, if we take into account your humility...) correct and the RCC is only 80% correct. I ask you why you work on those 80%ers when the world is overflowing with 0%ers!

quote:
In fact, if I could persuade people to read their Bibles, free of comment from either Roman Catholics or Protestants (self included), I would be delighted. Certain important Roman Catholic ideas would be substantiated by this exercise. Others would be thoroughly undercut, much to the spiritual benefit of those who undertook it.

Gordon, it has been done. Extensively. And you are entirely correct about the outcome. Plenty of people reading the bible on their own come to interpretations of many issues that differ enormously from the magisterium of the RCC. However, what you are quiet about is that they also come to interpretations which are very different from your opinion. In fact, so varied are the resulting opinions, that we have now 26,000 Protestant denominations and counting. And what you also do not tell us about is why any of that plethora of bible-based opinions should be more valid than any other. Whereas there are good reason for assuming that the magisterium of the RCC is more valid than all those contradictory opinions. For the magisterium never contradicts the bible, but it has conserved the authentic intepretations and customs from the early church to our days.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim   Email Duo Seraphim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In fact, if I could persuade people to read their Bibles, free of comment from either Roman Catholics or Protestants (self included), I would be delighted. Certain important Roman Catholic ideas would be substantiated by this exercise. Others would be thoroughly undercut, much to the spiritual benefit of those who undertook it.

You just don't get it, do you? You certainly don't get the Catholic Church that's for sure. The Magisterium is Word and Tradition, going back to the very start of the Church.

I have no idea what "Roman Catholic ideas" would in your view be "thoroughly undercut" by reading the Bible. I am disturbed that you apparently discount the work and teaching of 2000 years of the Church, saints, theologians in favour of a personal interpretation based on one person's reading of the Bible - apparently bare of any commentary and out of its cultural context too. I do know that I am assuredly not in the theological league of the great Ecumenical Councils or St Teresa of Avila and St Ignatius Loyola to name just two. As Sir Isaac Newton said "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

I'd prefer to read my Bible and to know Tradition. I'd like to stand on the shoulders of those giants to aid my understanding of both.

--------------------
The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' (Bihar al-anwar xiv, 319)

Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

IngoB said it better while I was composing my post. Certainly I have found my understanding of the Magisterium strengthened by reading the Bible, rather than undercut.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you've both said it marvellously. Interestingly, as a would-be bib scholar, I maintain the best biblical scholarship has been steadily coming out of the RC tradition since Vat ii. It began with people like RE Brown of course, but the mantle travels on with scholars like Brendan Byrne, Joseph Fitzmyer, and (I think) Luke Timoth Johnson (though he is married so if Cath then lay cath).

I suspect though that the Moore/Rest of the world divide is so great that there are very few sacra pagina or even Anchor Bib, perhaps even NIB commentaries on Sydney's (metonym, Gordo [Biased] ) shelves.

That then makes Gordo's "I have the bible on my side" a sort of self-perpetuating myth.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

I suspect though that the Moore/Rest of the world divide is so great that there are very few sacra pagina or even Anchor Bib, perhaps even NIB commentaries on Sydney's (metonym, Gordo [Biased] ) shelves.

That then makes Gordo's "I have the bible on my side" a sort of self-perpetuating myth.

All there on the shelves of the Moore College library I assure you, Zapster. And frequently referred to. I've used Brown and Fitzmeyer meself.

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
Remember this is where this whole thing started, GC. I understand you are busy, but you keep coming close to articulating what you think are "the issues" or "the teachings" of RC which invite communication of the gospel. Coming close, but not quite getting there. Now Duo has made a call about how she sees what you are saying, and you are half backing away. C'mon mate. Declare yourself.

Back away, schmack away, DK. Historical Protestantism and Romanism agree on the ecumenical creeds and the significance of Athanasius, Augustine and lots of others. The points of division are well known. The authority of the pope, prayers invoking the aid of Mary and the Saints, the number and nature of the sacraments, purgatory, and a range of others.

The really important issues were articulated when they were anathematized by the Roman church at the Council of Trent. They include such things as the basis of salvation, the nature of the priesthood after Christ, the nature of grace, the nature of faith, the place of good works and merit in the life of the believer, whether we can be assured of our justification or whether we must wait and see for the day of judgment. My view is fairly standard Reformed Calvinist on most of these.

As for Ingo's stuff about 80% agreement being good enough, actually I would say 0% agreement is just fine if we are debating the nature of something like whether fairy floss is best coloured blue, pink, or some combination of the two. But obviously I think these questions are more important or I wouldn't make myself such a pain in the butt by trying to persuade others to my view, or AIUI the Bible's view.

And, I am delighted to make common cause with Roman Catholics on a whole range of issues conciderably more important than fairy floss: the stupidity and blinkeredness of Western secularism, the bankruptcy of much theological liberalism, a range of social and ethical subjects, the possibility of knowing the truth about God. No doubt it's why Ingo and I sometimes manage to get confused with each other on these boards. (Except of course that Ingo is humble, and I am arrogant [Biased] )

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They include such things as the basis of salvation, the nature of the priesthood after Christ, the nature of grace, the nature of faith, the place of good works and merit in the life of the believer, whether we can be assured of our justification or whether we must wait and see for the day of judgment.

You have read the JDDJ, of course?

quote:
My view is fairly standard Reformed Calvinist on most of these.

Of course, Gordon, but don't worry - God will surely be merciful. [Biased]

quote:
As for Ingo's stuff about 80% agreement being good enough, actually I would say 0% agreement is just fine if we are debating the nature of something like whether fairy floss is best coloured blue, pink, or some combination of the two.

You are evading. If you agree that the RC minority is much more likely to be saved thanks to their "80% correct belief" than the unbaptized and unchurched post-Christian majority, then why are you (and Matthias Media) not directing your efforts at the much, much greater spiritual need?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

quote:
quote:
They include such things as the basis of salvation, the nature of the priesthood after Christ, the nature of grace, the nature of faith, the place of good works and merit in the life of the believer, whether we can be assured of our justification or whether we must wait and see for the day of judgment.

You have read the JDDJ, of course?

Benedict XVI had this to say in his Lenten message for 2006:
quote:
We cannot ignore the fact that many mistakes have been made in the course of history by those who claimed to be disciples of Jesus. Very often, when having to address grave problems, they have thought that they should first improve this world and only afterwards turn their minds to the next. The temptation was to believe that, in the face of urgent needs, the first imperative was to change external structures. The consequence, for some, was that Christianity became a kind of moralism, ‘believing’ was replaced with ‘doing’. Rightly, therefore, my Predecessor, Pope John Paul II, of blessed memory, observed: “The temptation today is to reduce Christianity to merely human wisdom, a pseudo-science of well-being. In our heavily secularized world, a ‘gradual secularization of salvation’ has taken place, so that people strive for the good of man, but man who is truncated…We know, however, that Jesus came to bring integral salvation” (Redemptoris Missio, 11).

It is this integral salvation that Lent puts before us, pointing towards the victory of Christ over every evil that oppresses us. In turning to the Divine Master, in being converted to Him, in experiencing His mercy through the Sacrament of Reconciliation, we will discover a “gaze” that searches us profoundly and gives new life to the crowds and to each one of us. It restores trust to those who do not succumb to scepticism, opening up before them the perspective of eternal beatitude.

The really big deal for evangelisation (and may I say it for evangelical thought) lies in engaging with that culture of secular well-being, that it is enough simply to be a "good person", without experiencing the radical inner conversion of the "gaze" of Jesus in all we are and all we do.

Refighting the battles of the Reformation when the other side has moved on seems rather picayune in comparison.

[added a bit]

[ 14. February 2006, 07:23: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunno about any other Catholics, but if someone tried to evangelize me, I'd laugh in their faces. I can recite the Nicene Creed and mean every bit of it. All the rest is details*. Good thing I live on the other side of the world from you, Brother Cheng!

*Details meaning you do your church thing, and I'll do mine. But don't insult me by telling me that you know a better way than mine.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The really big deal for evangelisation (and may I say it for evangelical thought) lies in engaging with that culture of secular well-being, that it is enough simply to be a "good person", without experiencing the radical inner conversion of the "gaze" of Jesus in all we are and all we do.

quote:
I am delighted to make common cause with Roman Catholics on a whole range of issues conciderably more important than fairy floss: the stupidity and blinkeredness of Western secularism, the bankruptcy of much theological liberalism, a range of social and ethical subjects, the possibility of knowing the truth about God.

quote:
If you agree that the RC minority is much more likely to be saved thanks to their "80% correct belief" than the unbaptized and unchurched post-Christian majority, then why are you (and Matthias Media) not directing your efforts at the much, much greater spiritual need?

So you are in fact all in agreement with each other?

And the only remaining question is whether someone who is in fact part of that "post-Christian majority", a participant in the "culture of secular well-being", who thinks that "knowing the truth about God" or "radical inner conversion" is impossible or unimportant, but who happens to be, for family or cultural reasons on the baptismal roll of the Roman church, otherwise peripherally associated to it, or to any other church, ought to be left out of any evangelism?

--------------------
Ken

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

quote:
For the magisterium never contradicts the bible, but it has conserved the authentic intepretations and customs from the early church to our days.

I suppose I'm nto allowed to mention Leo X, Boniface VI, and so on.
Am I?

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
I suppose I'm nto allowed to mention Leo X, Boniface VI, and so on. Am I?

You are most welcome to mention them. If you could point to any way in which they have made the official magisterium contradict the bible...?

ken, perhaps Reformed Calvinists should busy themselves with nominal Reformed Calvinists who have lost their faith, rather than with nominal RCs who have done so? Anyway, you know full well that Gordon neither has the ability nor the intention to pull off such a pinpoint accuracy saving mission to just "lost" RCs.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They focus on how we can gain assurance of salvation through the death of Christ alone,
The Bible studies attempt to look at passages that demonstrate how we can be confident about being right with God, so to that extent would be useful

*wince*

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
So you are in fact all in agreement with each other?

I am astonished and relieved.

I'd best get on with these Bible studies, however, as I'm ever hopeful someone will find them useful.

--------------------

Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

I think you'll find, ken, that IngoB and I are in agreement. Dunno about Gordon.

But you know, we are more than capable of evangelising our own irreligious, without delegating the task to the Reformed Calvinists.

[added a bit]

[ 14. February 2006, 23:49: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd prefer to read my Bible and to know Tradition. I'd like to stand on the shoulders of those giants to aid my understanding of both.

A bog-standard evo response to this would be "what if those giants are wrong?"

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

Or even, if you're in Christ, who needs giants?

Although I do respect 'em. Powerful allies, dangerous enemies. Dangerous friends, even.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So why are you writing / publishing books? Why bother if all are in Christ and thus can live alone with themselves and their Bible? Aren't you possibly leading people away from a perfect relationship with Christ to accepting others' opinions?

Why listen to sermons? Bible studies? Where does this end??? Or is it only Catholic/Orthodox Giants that are suspicious?

quote:
Although I do respect 'em. Powerful allies, dangerous enemies. Dangerous friends, even.

Dangerous friends??? What on earth is this??? These giants have fought many battles for us, against Arius, against Donatus, etc. Are we to wage these wars again? Fight the old heresies again and again?

And all of us, well I'm assuming all of us, read them with open eyes. Just because we have Church Fathers and Theologians and such does not mean we blindly accept everything: many are Saints and yet they are known to have erred in certain teachings.

[ 15. February 2006, 09:33: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Gordon Cheng:
quote:
The Bible studies attempt to look at passages that demonstrate how we can be confident about being right with God, so to that extent would be useful for other religiously minded people who are anxious about where they stand before God—Catholic, Orthodox or Sydney Anglican
My dear Gordo, why on earth would an Orthodox or Catholic Christian be anxious about where they stand before God? [Biased]

(And it's nice to see that "Sydney Anglican" now appears to be a separate denomination from "Anglican". Can we look forward to this arrangement being formalised? [Biased] [Biased] )

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
quote:

So why are you writing / publishing books? Why bother if all are in Christ and thus can live alone with themselves and their Bible? Aren't you possibly leading people away from a perfect relationship with Christ to accepting others' opinions?

Why listen to sermons? Bible studies?

Jolly fine question IC.

Giant friends are not entirely otiose, of course, and very handy in a bunfight. Although I have occasionally suggested around the offices of Matthias Media that we could just publish Bibles with little handwritten notes inside the front cover saying "Well? Go on! Get reading!"

The answer is that God gives teachers to his church to build them up; good and powerful teachers we ought to listen to and respect.

But there is such a thing as a false teacher, and the Bible warns us about them, and by its teaching protects us.

quote:
Where does this end??? Or is it only Catholic/Orthodox Giants that are suspicious?
Don't worry Ian, I suspect everyone. I am an equal opportunity suspecter. [Biased]

quote:
Dangerous friends??? What on earth is this??? These giants have fought many battles for us, against Arius, against Donatus, etc. Are we to wage these wars again? Fight the old heresies again and again?
Well...er...yes.

quote:
And all of us, well I'm assuming all of us, read them with open eyes. Just because we have Church Fathers and Theologians and such does not mean we blindly accept everything: many are Saints and yet they are known to have erred in certain teachings.
*Drops to knees before computer and says "Amen"*

recovers quickly to add: and the only reliable check we have on those errors is Scripture.

[ 15. February 2006, 09:51: Message edited by: Gordon Cheng ]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The answer is that God gives teachers to his church to build them up; good and powerful teachers we ought to listen to and respect.

But there is such a thing as a false teacher, and the Bible warns us about them, and by its teaching protects us.

And how do you tell the difference? On what basis would you for example say that the 'giants' are false teachers but you are a good teacher?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
...recovers quickly to add: and the only reliable check we have on those errors is Scripture.

...as interpreted by whom? - we're going round in epistemological circles here.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

quote:
I think you'll find, ken, that IngoB and I are in agreement. Dunno about Gordon.

But you know, we are more than capable of evangelising our own irreligious, without delegating the task to the Reformed Calvinists.

[added a bit]

"Oi, get off them! They're mine, mine! I'm the only one that's allowed to evangelise those!

--------------------
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

fisher
Shipmate
# 9080

- Posted      Profile for fisher     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite apart from which denomination is best placed to evangelise lapsed Catholics / Christians, many of them will have fallen away from active involvement because they're sick to the back teeth of bickering between different Christian brands. Using ostentatiously evangelical slogans and methods sounds counterproductive to me.

Stepping back a little, if anyone has a spare 25 minutes (okay, it's unlikely), I would thoroughly recommend the second programme in this series. It's a BBC programme by current affairs presenter Edward Stourton about American evangelical missionary tourists spreading an enormously successful message of self-help in a Catholic country left demoralised and religiously apathetic by the political failures of liberation theology. It's excellently balanced and dispassionate, exposing the thorny issues of missionary work amongst a Christian population, and a cultural collision far greater than that involved with Gordon's pamphlets.

--------------------
"Down, down, presumptuous human reason!" But somehow they found out I was not a real bishop at all G. K. Chesterton

Posts: 1327 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

The first programme is rather good. Points out (as I keep on trying to!) that the 19th century missionary effort in Africa wasn't a deliberate part of colonialism, and that most African converts were converted through African missionaries, not Europeans.

--------------------
Ken

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

quote:
and the only reliable check we have on those errors is Scripture.

Unfortunately, most heretics whom the Saints of the past combated were exceedingly well versed in scripture and would have argued scriptural circles around me and you. Satan tempts Jesus by citing scripture, after all. It simply boils down to this then: You believe that you can fend off any heresy just with your own individual understanding of the bible. I think I need all the help I can get from the witness of Saints past and from the ongoing magisterium of the church.

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

I think if you need a magisterium to interpret the word then the first recipients of the NT letters were in deep doo doo. I can just imagine Timothy scratching his head when he received a letter from Paul.

"Holy cow, I don't know whether this is in the canon or not. What do I do now? I wish I had a bishop I could 'phone up. Wait a minute, I'm a bishop. Or am I? This letter says I am (or I think it does, it's so hard to work out), but how do I know if it's really God speaking to me or that rotten Pseudo-Paul playing another one of her nasty pranks? Geez."

But this question of perspicuity of Scripture is probably best worked out, in the context of a discussion on a liberal board, on the basis of case by case, otherwise we're reduced to generalizations about our own position and how it differs from others.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

quote:
But this question of perspicuity of Scripture is probably best worked out, in the context of a discussion on a liberal board, on the basis of case by case, otherwise we're reduced to generalizations about our own position and how it differs from others.

A liberal board??? [Confused] And we're discussion Roman Catholicism here on this thread.

And I don't think your argument about Timothy scratching his head makes much sense. All we have from that time is the Canon of the NT, plus a few extra-biblical books like the Didache. Timothy and friends would've had other discussions and such at the time: they would've (one hopes!) known exactly what was meant, and if not -- they could've asked.

As far as I understand it, when others began questioning interpretations, the Church looked at what it had believed and what had been passed on. Novel interpretations were rejected: "this is what we have always believed." Passed on...living Tradition.

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:

And I don't think your argument about Timothy scratching his head makes much sense. All we have from that time is the Canon of the NT, plus a few extra-biblical books like the Didache. Timothy and friends would've had other discussions and such at the time: they would've (one hopes!) known exactly what was meant, and if not -- they could've asked.

Of course it makes sense. Timothy wasn't carrying around his leather KJV with him, he was in receipt of a letter from Paul and there was no magisterium to ask if it was kosher or not, so to speak. Nor, once he worked out that it was the real deal, was there anyone to tell him what it meant. Paul was not going to be of any use to him, if Timmy couldn't understand what he'd been sent by e-mail a chat to the human author would've just confused him more.

quote:
Satan tempts Jesus by citing scripture, after all.

Interesting example you choose. I'll give you a clue on this one mate. Jesus' interpretation of Deuteronomy and the Psalms was right, and Satan's was wrong.

And do you know I worked this out for myself, the first time I read it, without asking a single other living soul?

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Sorry: I can't see your argument at all Gordon. I'm trying, but it makes no sense to me.

quote:
And do you know I worked this out for myself, the first time I read it, without asking a single other living soul?

[Roll Eyes] : I think most would come to that conclusion.

The problem arises when you get novel teachings like salvation by faith alone or the Eucharist simply being a mere remembrance: who takes charge then? As I understand it, from an Orthodox (and Catholic) view, we take the teachings of the Fathers and Saints who dealt with all this when it arose. Some battles have been fought: why fight them again?

And I also see no evidence whatsoever that Christianity is a "me-and-my-Bible-alone" faith: it always involves God's people, the Church.

[ 17. February 2006, 01:32: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Sorry: I can't see your argument at all Gordon. I'm trying, but it makes no sense to me.

8< snip >8
The problem arises when you get novel teachings

The point is that Timothy had no other interpreter than himself to guide him, and so understood the word of the apostle without any external mediation or interpretation. Indeed on 2 Tim he may not even have been able to ask Paul for the meaning, given that Paul was almost certainly executed soon after he had written it.

And remember that at the time he received it, the only so-called "magisterium" he had access to was the church of which he was part. That church was as full of novel teaching as a schoolgirl's hair is full of lice. Asking for the opinion of the folk there would as like as not elicited the response "Paul said that? Wouldn't believe a word of it. Especially that bit where he says that we're false teachers and don't like to listen to the truth. How can you even be sure Paul wrote that, anyway?"

[ 17. February 2006, 01:43: Message edited by: Gordon Cheng ]

--------------------

Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

quote:
quote:

Of course it makes sense. Timothy wasn't carrying around his leather KJV with him, he was in receipt of a letter from Paul and there was no magisterium to ask if it was kosher or not, so to speak. Nor, once he worked out that it was the real deal, was there anyone to tell him what it meant. Paul was not going to be of any use to him, if Timmy couldn't understand what he'd been sent by e-mail a chat to the human author would've just confused him more.

Huh? I'm sharing Ian C's confusion here. We are back on this old canard of "me and my Bible and my naked, unaided brain".

Of course they had their own brains and also a guide. Timothy and Paul both had Tradition - a living deposit of faith and teaching that came from those who had direct experience of the ministry of Jesus and hence from Jesus himself. How would Timothy (and other members of the early Church) know whether they were getting the straight dope from Paul or not? What might teach them and aid their understanding of what they read and heard said about the Word (revealed in Christ but still being gathered together in its written form at that point) but the Word and by Tradition. In both cases, Timothy's understanding (and that of the rest of the early church) of the Word and their recognition of and assent to true teaching is guided by the Holy Spirit as part of the continuing revelation of God's message to humanity.

Paul's reaction to his conversion experience was to seek out teachers and to learn more about the teachings of Jesus from them. What books of the New Testament did Paul have to read at that stage? None for that part of God's revelation had not yet been written down. His conversion came from God - his understanding of the teachings of Jesus came from those who had heard them and who passed them on to him. From Tradition in other words.

--------------------

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Timothy was in receipt of a personal letter from someone he knew well. That circumstance has precious little to do with the problem of understanding someone-else's correspondence, long ago and far away.

The problem with Solo Scriptura et Ego comes if you want to consider that the Holy Spirit is real and active, and has been amongst his people for a long time. Consideration of Tradition then becomes mandatory, unless you think God is continually pressing the reset button and starting again with you. Of course, some people do think that, but they often end up chopping themselves up in Munster, or drinking funny cordial in the jungle.

There's an interesting thought experiment about the problems of first century reading of proto-scripture here.

[I hope this is on-topic. I have a Life, so couldn't be bothered reading the whole thread...]

[ 17. February 2006, 02:16: Message edited by: AdamPater ]

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Asking for the opinion of the folk there
You see that's where you are stumbling. When they did have problems, it wasn't a free for all like you proddies have. Let's take an example - gentiles. Paul had written and preached about it, but others disagreed. So the Apostles all got together (we call it the Council of Jerusalem - it's right there in your Bible, Book of Acts) and had a big argy-bargy about it. Were led by the Holy Spirit to discern the right answer. Then Peter summed it all up and said how it was going to be.

A bit like it still operates today. Pope (Peter) and Bishops (Apostles) get together, have an argy-bargy, Holy Spirit leads them, Pope sums it all up and away we go! That's what we call the magisterium.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:

Paul's reaction to his conversion experience was to seek out teachers and to learn more about the teachings of Jesus from them. What books of the New Testament did Paul have to read at that stage? None for that part of God's revelation had not yet been written down. His conversion came from God - his understanding of the teachings of Jesus came from those who had heard them and who passed them on to him. From Tradition in other words.

As always you've given me a lot to respond to Duo, but this particular point is simply an error of fact, and quite damaging to your point about Paul.

In this passage from Galatians 1 Paul sets out the actual situation:

quote:
11 For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel. 12 For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. 13 For you have heard of my former life in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God violently and tried to destroy it. 14 And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, 16 was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
As you can see, the only traditions of which Paul was aware were the ones he vociferously rejected. You will also note how careful he is to specifically distance himself from any proto-magisterial authority, in the form of the apostles. He continues the account in Galatians 2, and makes a considerable point out of the fact that it was he who corrected an apostle, not the other way 'round:

[quote] 2:11 But when Cephas [=Peter] came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned.[/ quote]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016