homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Is Catholicism Christianity? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Is Catholicism Christianity?
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
"By their fruits shall ye know them."

Yes, indeed! That's a, if not the, bottom line for me, too.

quote:
Are you telling me that the fruits immediately prior to (and, for that matter, immediately following) the Reformation were good?
If looking at the fruits is worthwhile, then looking at all of them is. Why would we confine ourselves to one unhappy small sliver of time as though it were normative? Over two millennia I have no trouble defending the fruits of the Catholic church. They include the foundation of our civilization and the preservation of the written sources of our Greco-Roman heritage. They include magnificent music, architecture, and art. They include monasticism and mysticism. They include great saints. I admire the ideals that these various elements of the Catholic experience uphold. I warm to many devout Roman Catholics whom the church has molded and who personify those ideals.

There is a specific reason I gave the 1500 years I did. It was mentioned by someone else as the difference in time between Rome and the Protestants. It certainly wasn't unqualified evil (neither was it unqualified good). But the fruits of the Catholic Church pre-reformation made the Reformation necessary.

quote:
By contrast, my impression is that Protestant ideals are more superficial, and a number of Protestant sects cultivate personality traits that I find downright repugnant.
What is this monolithic entity "Protestant" of which you speak? If you try and fit The Quakers, The Anglicans and whatever Dr. Dobson's church is under one label, of course you are going to have problems understanding the ideals. (And there are IMO a number of repugnant protestant sects - and Opus Dei (and no, I wasn't informed by Dan Brown...) and at least one extremely harmful part of the catechism - the ban on contraception).

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantpole
Shipmate
# 8401

- Posted      Profile for quantpole   Email quantpole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noneen:
while i don't agree with aologon (excuse spelling!! ), the following statement makes me want to eat the computer in frustration !! [brick wall]

quote:
Why aren't you RC then?
why do people (including those of us christians who are still human, and not perfected [Razz] ) feel like we can't admire the best in those who are different to us, .... why the need to insist people choose sides of a fence !?!?

its one thing to insist that a person choose their position on a particular argument (!) ... but another to insist they choose their church/ faith immediately, simply as part of an on-going argument (discussion !!)

I find it curious that someone who is in a denomination that is essentially protestant should espouse the virtues of Catholicism whilst thinking that the ideals of huge parts of their own tradition are superficial.

(And I'm trying to stop throwing the computer screen out of the window due to all the exclamation marks)

Posts: 885 | From: Leeds | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alogon:
quote:
And Schweitzer moved easily among Catholics,
What a fascinating statement! I'm not sure how it fits into the argument, though. I can't think you mean "Moves easily among Catholics" means "Practically RC already"! For the record, I "move easily among Catholics". [Big Grin]

My own point is - as I'm sure you know - that the best Protestant Christians match the best Catholic and Orthodox Christians because they are good Christians. The worst of all of them make one's flesh creep, and often, interestingly, in denominationally differentiated ways. But - for me, at least - to a remarkably similar degree.

--------------------
The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.
"Lle rhyfedd i falchedd fod/Yw teiau ar y tywod." (Ieuan Brydydd Hir)

Posts: 5433 | From: pOsTmOdErN dYsToPiA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

- Posted      Profile for Psyduck   Author's homepage   Email Psyduck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quantpole:
quote:
I find it curious that someone who is in a denomination that is essentially protestant should espouse the virtues of Catholicism whilst thinking that the ideals of huge parts of their own tradition are superficial.
Weirdly, I don't have a problem with this. I'm a Presbyterian, and I find the best of "another lot" - in thois case Catholicism - vastly more uplifting than the worst of my lot! (I'd hope that was the case with most of us on the Ship!)

--------------------

quantpole
Shipmate
# 8401

- Posted      Profile for quantpole   Email quantpole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree up to a certain point Psyduck, and indeed I think there is much of great worth within Catholicism and Orthodoxy that my own lot can learn from.

Alogon's post seemed to go a bit beyond that though.

Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

I must admit I thought that, too. Maybe further than he thought.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, for some of us we are Catholic, just not Roman Catholic, hence the Anglo-Catholic references he made. The question of whether we are also Protestant depends on the definition of "Protestant" I think.

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you mean catholic, not Catholic? And you're a protestant if you're not either Orthodox or Roman. Fairly simple.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dinghy sailor:
Do you mean catholic, not Catholic? And you're a protestant if you're not either Orthodox or Roman. Fairly simple.

Unless, of course, you're Coptic.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doh! [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psyduck:
Alogon:
quote:
What a fascinating statement! I'm not sure how it fits into the argument, though. I can't think you mean "Moves easily among Catholics" means "Practically RC already"! For the record, I "move easily among Catholics". [Big Grin]

That would be the castors.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, I mean Catholic, not Roman Catholic or (if I am reading you right) small-c catholic. With Apostolic Succession and Sacraments and the lot. If by "Protestant" someone means "not having Apostolic Succession and Sacraments and the lot" then those in my camp don't consider ourselves Protestant in that sense, but if it merely means "not Orthodox or Roman" then that's another matter.

(What do you mean in this case by catholic vs. Catholic? In the sense I am talking about I mean something which is specifically (the Anglo-Catholic understanding of) Anglicanism, Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, but not, say, the non-Sacramental churches. (There was a big debate a while back about the Episcopal-Lutheran concordat, but at very least by "non-sacramental" I mean the groups which make no claims to Apostolic Succession and to supernatural Sacraments, for whom the bread and wine are exclusively symbolic, say.) From our point of view we claim to have the same things the Orthodox and RCs have, and are Catholic in that sense.

David

[ 16. February 2006, 20:52: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Apostolic Succession, like the Sacraments, has an outward and an inward element. The Arians, the Nestorians, the Monophysites etc all can be said to have the outward signs of these things. The important thing is the share in the Apostolic faith and the holyspiritual (do you like the word?) dimension of the Sacraments.
Psyduck

Ship's vacant look
# 2270

Anselmina:
quote:

Originally posted by Psyduck:
Alogon:
quote:

What a fascinating statement! I'm not sure how it fits into the argument, though. I can't think you mean "Moves easily among Catholics" means "Practically RC already"! For the record, I "move easily among Catholics".

That would be the castors.

[Killing me]

"EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!!"

ChastMastr:
quote:
If by "Protestant" someone means "not having Apostolic Succession and Sacraments and the lot"
Er - hang on a second - Protestants have Sacraments too, you know!!! (And we're not actually sure that anybody has the "Apostolic Succession", or that there's one to be had. Though strangely enough, the C of S can trace its orders back to continuity with the mediaeval Ecclesia Scoticana through the Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae. But if that doesn't count, then:
quote:
For his sake we have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that we may gain Christ
and be found in him, not having a righteousness of our own, based on law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith...

[ 17. February 2006, 08:12: Message edited by: Callan ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
The tragedy of the sixteenth century was that the periodic or even constant reformation process this time resulted in large-scale schism, and once that had taken place the inevitable polarisation led to some extremely nasty outcomes.

Let's be fair to the reformers as well though. The tragedy of the sixteenth century was that it's hard to imagine what else but a catastrophic schism followed by the wholesale slaughter of entire people could have shaken the Roman Catholic Church out of its near catatonic state. It was shock therapy, and as far as I can see it was necessary. That's not the issue for me, at all. The issue for me is that frankly, with the reforms from Trent to Vatican II the reformation is by any objective standards over and done with. Mission accomplished, time to return to Mother Church who is once more looking holy and healthy. Yet, there are plenty of "Protestants" still around. I think the Protestatants have protested themselves into a plethora of tight little corners and are now themselves growing increasingly stiff and stale. This is a truly sad irony of history. And unfortunately I don't see what could possibly be used as "shock therapy" to shake the Protestants out of it.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
I have been known to comment that if you scratch an Englishman and you will find some protestant bigotry not too far from the surface (and no, I am not Irish - I do not have a drop of Irish blood in me). This anti-Catholic nonsense is in the blood, and the misconceptions and untruths seem to be passed on with mother's milk to every English child. Just as anti-protestant anti-British nonsense is passed on to every Irish child. And this, I am sure, is replicated in situations throughout the world.

Sadly I think TT is spot on here. I was raised in the Baptist Church which my Calvinist father used to attend. It was so full of anti-Papist bigotry that at the age of 12 I was frightened to walk past a Catholic Church in case some horned devil might jump out of the door and grab me. My wife is an Irish Catholic raised on how the English tried to exterminate the Irish with the famine of the 1840's. We all need mehr licht. As a teenager I jettisoned the nauseating religion of my childhood and I have climbed up the candle as far as Anglo-Catholic. In the not too distant future I may have to leave the Church of England and climb higher. I have no interest in Protestant doctrine.

But the Englishman still comes out sometimes. Who, as TT says is ingrained with anti-Papalism. Mention the Spanish Armada and Drakes's "We have time to finish the game and beat the Spaniards too" and I revel in England's defeat of a Vatican funded invasion force. Ply me with too much Irish whimsey about the sufferings of its people and I counter that England had to protect itself against a long term Popish plot to recapture her. It truly comes with mother's milk.

But by the same token, in my later incarnation I get angry when I read Eamon Duffy's book "The Stripping of the Altars". This book is not without its critics of Duffy's historical analysis, but I accept that devotions to Mary and the saints were endemic to medieval England and were purposely and purposefully destroyed by the reformers with the engine of the state on their side post Henry VIII. So while I am theologically Catholic, English history sometimes brings out the hidden Protestant in me. My wife is full of anti-English niggle. But we laugh about it. It never comes between us.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ChastMastr,
Well, by catholic, I mean the widespread, universal, invisible church. The one I talk about when I say the creeds. Catholic, on the other hand, I see as being shorthand for Roman, which came out of what the church fathers formed when they started shifting from the position of "no salvation outside the church" being true by definition (because the church was made up of all who were saved) to a postion of it meaning "no salvation outside the bishops". It's when the universality became a limiting factor, not a description. I started a thread once questioning what was so great about AS, which you may remember, so you can probably guess that I'm not all that sold on the idea. And as for ACs etc claiming the AS, I'd say that I view that as some protestants getting cold feet and wanting to emulate something which they're not, and if they really wanted to be Catholic they'd cross the Tiber.

I suppose that to put it another way, I view Catholicity (your definition) arising as a sort of excuse to justify Catholicism (my definition). It wasn't needed much anymore once one big church was formed, and then people who aren't Catholic (my definition) decided to rehash the left-behind concept because that way they could get the name 'Catholic' without really being so.

As far as I see it, if you're Anglican, you're a member of a church which has, "Be of good conduct, Master Ridley, and play the man. For today..." in its history, so like it or not, you're protestant.

Ingo, I suppose that's where "semper reformanda" comes in.

Right, I must remember to dig this thread up on Sun/Monday, and see if either of you replied.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by josephine:
quote:

Unless, of course, you're Coptic.
When you're Oriental Orthodox.

--------------------

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim   Email Duo Seraphim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ChastMastr,
Well, by catholic, I mean the widespread, universal, invisible church. The one I talk about when I say the creeds.

We can certainly agree on that one. The Head of the Church as the Body of Christ and also the Haead of the Catholic Church are one and the same - Jesus Christ. "He is present when the Church prays and sings, for he has promised "where two or three are gathered together in my name there am I in the midst of them' (Mt 18: 20)" (Sacrosanctum Concilium, n. 7). We are all members of that one Church by virtue of our baptism and bound by the action of the Holy Spirit.
quote:
Catholic, on the other hand, I see as being shorthand for Roman, which came out of what the church fathers formed when they started shifting from the position of "no salvation outside the church" being true by definition (because the church was made up of all who were saved) to a postion of it meaning "no salvation outside the bishops". It's when the universality became a limiting factor, not a description.
Oh dear - that's a rather er, Protestant way of looking at it. Actually we are all called to be one undivided communion in Christ and that is the Catholic Church's mission and why we have an absolute committment to ecumenism, as the first chapter of the Encyclical Ut Unum Sint explains. The Church of Christ is actually all of the baptised but we are not all in union.
quote:
I started a thread once questioning what was so great about AS, which you may remember, so you can probably guess that I'm not all that sold on the idea. And as for ACs etc claiming the AS, I'd say that I view that as some protestants getting cold feet and wanting to emulate something which they're not, and if they really wanted to be Catholic they'd cross the Tiber.I suppose that to put it another way, I view Catholicity (your definition) arising as a sort of excuse to justify Catholicism (my definition). It wasn't needed much anymore once one big church was formed, and then people who aren't Catholic (my definition) decided to rehash the left-behind concept because that way they could get the name 'Catholic' without really being so.

As far as I see it, if you're Anglican, you're a member of a church which has, "Be of good conduct, Master Ridley, and play the man. For today..." in its history, so like it or not, you're protestant.

The Apostolic Succession could be viewed as being one way of identifying the custodians of Tradition, as I have tried to explain Tradition above.

But yes, we should be in union. In fact we must be in union. In Ut Unum Sint, John Paul II continues:
quote:
[10].In the present situation of the lack of unity among Christians and of the confident quest for full communion, the Catholic faithful are conscious of being deeply challenged by the Lord of the Church. The Second Vatican Council strengthened their commitment with a clear ecclesiological vision, open to all the ecclesial values present among other Christians. The Catholic faithful face the ecumenical question in a spirit of faith.

The Council states that the Church of Christ "subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the Successor of Peter and by the Bishops in communion with him", and at the same time acknowledges that "many elements of sanctification and of truth can be found outside her visible structure. These elements, however, as gifts properly belonging to the Church of Christ, possess an inner dynamism towards Catholic unity".

So "yes, they should be swiming the Tiber" would the flip answer. The real answer ...

quote:
Ingo, I suppose that's where "semper reformanda" comes in.
...is that we should all work together to achieve the union of the sundered Body of Christ.

Which is why I view the topic of this thread as militating against union, why I view jibes about the sins of pre-Reformation Church as somehow invalidating Tradition as offensive because it militates against union.

quote:
The Catholic Church thus affirms that during the two thousand years of her history she has been preserved in unity, with all the means with which God wishes to endow his Church, and this despite the often grave crises which have shaken her, the infidelity of some of her ministers, and the faults into which her members daily fall. The Catholic Church knows that, by virtue of the strength which comes to her from the Spirit, the weaknesses, mediocrity, sins and at times the betrayals of some of her children cannot destroy what God has bestowed on her as part of his plan of grace. Moreover, "the powers of death shall not prevail against it" (Mt 16:18). Even so, the Catholic Church does not forget that many among her members cause God's plan to be discernible only with difficulty. Speaking of the lack of unity among Christians, the Decree on Ecumenism does not ignore the fact that "people of both sides were to blame",13 and acknowledges that responsibility cannot be attributed only to the "other side". By God's grace, however, neither what belongs to the structure of the Church of Christ nor that communion which still exists with the other Churches and Ecclesial Communities has been destroyed.Indeed, the elements of sanctification and truth present in the other Christian Communities, in a degree which varies from one to the other, constitute the objective basis of the communion, albeit imperfect, which exists between them and the Catholic Church.

It really is "semper reformanda" - and we have acknowledged our fault. No doubt members of the Church will slip again. But we are trying.

We have an impaired communion with the other members of the Body of Christ (see also Lumen Gentium.

Focussing on "errors" or claiming that Tradition is invalidated by those errors does not help in perfecting that communion of the Body of Christ and making it whole. The Decree On Ecumenism Unitatis Redintegratioin Vatican II emphasises importance of making "every effort to eliminate words, judgments, and actions which do not respond to the condition of separated brethren with truth and fairness and so make mutual relations between them more difficult".

Reciprocity is vital - when is the blame game going to stop?

[ 17. February 2006, 01:38: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
Embrace the serious whack. It's the Catholic thing to do. IngoB
The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' (Bihar al-anwar xiv, 319)

Posts: 7952 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantpole
Shipmate
# 8401

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
The tragedy of the sixteenth century was that the periodic or even constant reformation process this time resulted in large-scale schism, and once that had taken place the inevitable polarisation led to some extremely nasty outcomes.

Let's be fair to the reformers as well though. The tragedy of the sixteenth century was that it's hard to imagine what else but a catastrophic schism followed by the wholesale slaughter of entire people could have shaken the Roman Catholic Church out of its near catatonic state. It was shock therapy, and as far as I can see it was necessary. That's not the issue for me, at all. The issue for me is that frankly, with the reforms from Trent to Vatican II the reformation is by any objective standards over and done with. Mission accomplished, time to return to Mother Church who is once more looking holy and healthy. Yet, there are plenty of "Protestants" still around. I think the Protestatants have protested themselves into a plethora of tight little corners and are now themselves growing increasingly stiff and stale. This is a truly sad irony of history. And unfortunately I don't see what could possibly be used as "shock therapy" to shake the Protestants out of it.
Who was it who said that reformation wasn't a one off?

Anyway, I'm interested in 'stiff and stale', and 'protested themselves into a corner'. I'm really struggling to understand what this means beyond meaningless rhetoric.

It's probably worth quoting Justinian again, "almost anyone who tries entering this pissing contest between churches is going to lose"

U
Shipmate
# 5930

- Posted      Profile for U   Email U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The direction of this debate, whilst very informative about so many different aspects of Christian history that I don't know about, sort of highlights my point. A very simple request, to love, and a very simple action, forgiving, has been made so very very complex. Would I be wrong in suggesting that many individuals would take a look at the Christian world and describe it as extremely daunting and not have a clue which way to turn?

What would people say is the one basic absolute fundamental of Christianity and all things Christian?

I think it is U (hence my name [Big Grin] ). ie Christianity is all about You. Placing you before me. Being a ewe (no sexism intended, just most flocks of sheep are primarily ewes) in a flock of sheep lead by Jesus, saying eww to all things evil and saying to God "I choose YOU, I love YOU".

--------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U

Today's post brought to you by the letter U because I like U

Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim   Email Duo Seraphim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by U:
The direction of this debate, whilst very informative about so many different aspects of Christian history that I don't know about, sort of highlights my point. A very simple request, to love, and a very simple action, forgiving, has been made so very very complex. Would I be wrong in suggesting that many individuals would take a look at the Christian world and describe it as extremely daunting and not have a clue which way to turn?

What would people say is the one basic absolute fundamental of Christianity and all things Christian?

I think it is U (hence my name [Big Grin] ). ie Christianity is all about You. Placing you before me. Being a ewe (no sexism intended, just most flocks of sheep are primarily ewes) in a flock of sheep lead by Jesus, saying eww to all things evil and saying to God "I choose YOU, I love YOU".

No - Christianity is about loving God first and above all, utterly and completely - and because of your love of God, loving your neighbour as yourself, so that you can deepen your love of God even more ... and so on in a virtuous circle.

How was saying a number of incorrect things about Catholics and the Catholic Church and asking whether we were Christian an expression of that principle?

Have we managed to convince you that we Catholics are Christian? Have you in fact learned something? Or are you going to fudge it by saying that it's all too "daunting". Step up to the mark, U and take some responsibility for the contentious nature of the OP.

--------------------
The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' (Bihar al-anwar xiv, 319)

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

(Note to Psyduck and Dinghy Sailor: I suppose we shall just have to disagree about AS, the notion of "valid" orders and Sacraments, and the Catholic nature of the Anglican churches, but other than rehashing what was said on those AS and related threads I don't know what else to say. I don't see it as "a sort of excuse to justify" anything or I wouldn't be in the church. Surely you don't think we're all as self-deceiving as all that? Can't we just be honestly mistaken?

DS says:
"As far as I see it, if you're Anglican, you're a member of a church which has, "Be of good conduct, Master Ridley, and play the man. For today..." in its history, so like it or not, you're protestant."

And as far as I see it, if you're Anglican, you're a member of a church which has the Apostolic Succession (and the definite validity of the Sacraments which I believe come through that), bishops, priests, and deacons, the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and so on and on, so "like it or not" your church is Catholic. (If I did not believe that, was I would go elsewhere.) But while we disagree about this I am not suggesting that you are being self-deceived or have hidden motives.

Psyduck says:
"we're not actually sure that anybody has the "Apostolic Succession", or that there's one to be had"

Well, you not be sure of it, but that doesn't go for many of us who believe in it, or that the Anglican churches have it as well as Orthdoxy and Rome.

But this disagreement need not mean assuming anyone has bad motives. We can just believe different things and think each other is mistaken without it being that I and those who believe as I do "getting cold feet and wanting to emulate something which they're not" -- I'm sorry, but I believe that's just rude.

David

[ 17. February 2006, 11:23: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely if you're Anglican, you're both Protestant and Catholic - or better still Reformed and Catholic? At least, that's how I understand it...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Surely if you're Anglican, you're both Protestant and Catholic - or better still Reformed and Catholic? At least, that's how I understand it...

And I as well. I only quibble with the term Protestant if it's being meant as not having Apostolic Succession and definitely valid, real-presence-not-just-a-symbol, Sacraments. (The issue of whether the Lutherans do or don't has been another thread -- I'm thinking more of the further end of the Protestant matrix where there is an active disbelief in either AS or in more-than-symbolic, almost "magical" Sacraments or in priests as specifically Sacramental, etc. etc. etc.)

I think Reformed and Catholic is closer to my understanding. But in any case the words are only pointing to concepts and whatever words are used, these are the concepts to which I adhere. And while I know we disagree (I know ken does, for example, though I am often more on the same page with him than many other posters otherwise. Hi ken! [Axe murder] ) I don't think it need be with rancor.

David

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
Christianity is about loving God first and above all, utterly and completely - and because of your love of God, loving your neighbour as yourself, so that you can deepen your love of God even more ... and so on in a virtuous circle.

This works for me, but it's hardly universal. For some people, loving their neighbor is the first step -- or rather being loved by their neighbor, and loving that neighbor in return -- and it's through other people that they discover God. I see absolutely no reason to insist that loving God comes first, especially when in so many people's experience this is simply not the case.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Christianity is about loving God first and above all, utterly and completely - and because of your love of God, loving your neighbour as yourself, so that you can deepen your love of God even more ... and so on in a virtuous circle.

This works for me, but it's hardly universal. For some people, loving their neighbor is the first step -- or rather being loved by their neighbor, and loving that neighbor in return -- and it's through other people that they discover God. I see absolutely no reason to insist that loving God comes first, especially when in so many people's experience this is simply not the case.
Absolutely, RuthW.

But I took DS to mean first, not in the sense of "chronologically prior", but first as in "most importantly".

I may come to God and to my love of God through my love of others without first even feeling I even know God - but the ultimate aim is being loving communion with God, and through that loving communion with the others who love God, for ever. First, "love the Lord your God with all your", etc., and (then) your neighbour as yourself - with "first" here being not "earlier" but "lexically prior"*.

Works for me.

[*With apologies to John Rawls.]

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
But I took DS to mean first, not in the sense of "chronologically prior", but first as in "most importantly".

Duo said:

quote:
... because of your love of God, loving your neighbour as yourself ...
And this causality implies that love of God comes chronologically first. I agree with you, CB, but what you said is not what Duo said.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
I don't know if you understand that the way your post was worded really does come across, at least to me, as saying that if someone really loves Jesus, then they will have no real ties to any family on earth, with the corollary that if someone has real ties to any family on earth then they -- that is, I, and quite a wide range of people including your fellow Shipmates -- must not really love Jesus. Do you understand how that might come across?

quote:
I wish I could just assume blamelessness and speak freely as I would wish for anyone around me because that is what a true christian is, blameless, without sin, forgiven...
How do you mean "blameless" and "without sin" here? Because I don't think many of us here would claim to be actually sinless or assume that others here on Earth are.

I am still hoping you will respond, U, to my questions here. I'm sorry for the tangents re "Is Anglicanism (or Anglo-Catholicism) Big-C Catholic?" but I would like to know your response to these other issues...

David

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I agree with you, CB, but what you said is not what Duo said.

Damn - bang goes my career in international arbitration then!

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
U
Shipmate
# 5930

- Posted      Profile for U   Email U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by U:

No - Christianity is about loving God first and above all, utterly and completely - and because of your love of God, loving your neighbour as yourself, so that you can deepen your love of God even more ... and so on in a virtuous circle.

How was saying a number of incorrect things about Catholics and the Catholic Church and asking whether we were Christian an expression of that principle?

Have we managed to convince you that we Catholics are Christian? Have you in fact learned something? Or are you going to fudge it by saying that it's all too "daunting". Step up to the mark, U and take some responsibility for the contentious nature of the OP.

I fully agree with all points of view expressed on this post and that each individual firmly believes in what they are saying and it is not wrong because noone (as far as I can see) is intentionally lying.

I do not know enough about church history to enter into any details about the ideas expressed about the various histories of various churches. I in no way mean this insultingly, but I don't care to know. In my opinion people are placing far too much stock in themselves, their choices, their insititutions and what they do and not enough stock in Jesus or God. The discussion herein is beyond the realm of the vast majority to enter into and as such is beyond the reach of ordinary individuals to whom Jesus wanted His lessons to be given. Whilst such discussions may have a place in everyday life for those who wish it, it will not help anybody who does not already have an intrinsic knowledge of and interest in the institutions man created to house God rather than vice versa. It is way too complex because man created it not God, and whilst God would do His best to ensure His Word is not lost in the intricacies of the institutions, that will only become harder for normal average everyday individuals to see unless a major simplification occurs. I hope you don't see that as side-stepping because I am not trying to. As I said I do not have the knowledge to argue with you.

Oh, and U in my description is about choosing YOU God, above and beyond all others and from You, through You and in you loving you neighbours and you friends and even you enemies, and coincidence number 234563 in the list is the word tu, Latin for you that connects the cross to the letter and means you, but that's an aside and just part of my personal beliefs as are everything I have said herein.

And Duo, in answer to a question you may or may not be thinking, RC is no worse or better than other churches. I think that given the time and position RC has had, any church would head down the same path RC has. I do however feel that RC is the greatest responsibility to the world to show them Christ and correct any mistakes they are making, because it is from RC that others sprang and RC has the greatest claim over tradition. And despite all the arguments why intercession by friends is not a bad thing, I still think it BETTER to go to Jesus and from Jesus be filled with the Holy Spirit and in that that perform God's will. But these are just my beliefs and as has been said, to each their own [Smile]

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by U:
I fully agree with all points of view expressed on this post and that each individual firmly believes in what they are saying and it is not wrong because noone (as far as I can see) is intentionally lying.

[Confused]

Did you just say that, if someone expresses a point of view, if they believe it and they're not lying, then you agree with them?

That doesn't make sense. If I believe that milk is good for you, and someone else believes that it's bad for you, you can't agree with both of them. You can disagree with both, and you can be agnostic on the subject, but you surely can't believe in both. Unless, of course, you're the White Queen. She could do it easily, before breakfast.

quote:
I do not know enough about church history to enter into any details about the ideas expressed about the various histories of various churches. I in no way mean this insultingly, but I don't care to know.

Then why did you ask a question about the Catholic Church? To ask, then say, "Don't tell me, I don't want to know" -- what's the point of that?

quote:
The discussion herein is beyond the realm of the vast majority to enter into and as such is beyond the reach of ordinary individuals to whom Jesus wanted His lessons to be given.
It might be beyond you, but that doesn't mean it's beyond the reach of other people. Don't project your limitations onto other people. It isn't nice.

quote:
Whilst such discussions may have a place in everyday life for those who wish it, it will not help anybody who does not already have an intrinsic knowledge of and interest in the institutions man created to house God rather than vice versa. It is way too complex because man created it not God, and whilst God would do His best to ensure His Word is not lost in the intricacies of the institutions, that will only become harder for normal average everyday individuals to see unless a major simplification occurs.
Except that the Church was founded by Jesus and is led by the Holy Spirit. So your statement that it's created by man and not by God is just wrong. Do you think God is too simple to do something complex?

quote:
And Duo, in answer to a question you may or may not be thinking, RC is no worse or better than other churches.
Then why on earth did you say this in your OP?
quote:
Viewing the Catholic Church as a whole from my perspective looks like a spiritual equivalent of the ancient Roman Empire that does more to keep people out of Heaven than guide them in.
It seems to me, U, that you owe every Roman Catholic on the ship an apology. Your self-professed ignorance is not an excuse to be rude.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
U
Shipmate
# 5930

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by U:

[Confused]

Did you just say that, if someone expresses a point of view, if they believe it and they're not lying, then you agree with them?

That doesn't make sense. If I believe that milk is good for you, and someone else believes that it's bad for you, you can't agree with both of them. You can disagree with both, and you can be agnostic on the subject, but you surely can't believe in both. Unless, of course, you're the White Queen. She could do it easily, before breakfast.

quote:
I do not know enough about church history to enter into any details about the ideas expressed about the various histories of various churches. I in no way mean this insultingly, but I don't care to know.

Then why did you ask a question about the Catholic Church? To ask, then say, "Don't tell me, I don't want to know" -- what's the point of that?

quote:
The discussion herein is beyond the realm of the vast majority to enter into and as such is beyond the reach of ordinary individuals to whom Jesus wanted His lessons to be given.
It might be beyond you, but that doesn't mean it's beyond the reach of other people. Don't project your limitations onto other people. It isn't nice.

quote:
Whilst such discussions may have a place in everyday life for those who wish it, it will not help anybody who does not already have an intrinsic knowledge of and interest in the institutions man created to house God rather than vice versa. It is way too complex because man created it not God, and whilst God would do His best to ensure His Word is not lost in the intricacies of the institutions, that will only become harder for normal average everyday individuals to see unless a major simplification occurs.
Except that the Church was founded by Jesus and is led by the Holy Spirit. So your statement that it's created by man and not by God is just wrong. Do you think God is too simple to do something complex?

quote:
And Duo, in answer to a question you may or may not be thinking, RC is no worse or better than other churches.
quote:
Viewing the Catholic Church as a whole from my perspective looks like a spiritual equivalent of the ancient Roman Empire that does more to keep people out of Heaven than guide them in.
It seems to me, U, that you owe every Roman Catholic on the ship an apology. Your self-professed ignorance is not an excuse to be rude.

I don't think you understood any of what I wrote but I will accept full blame for not explaining myself well enough. I can however not explain myself any better so I fail. Sorry. No, not sarcastic, not hurtful, just stating a fact and apologising for my shortcoming.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
Originally posted by U:

A very interesting viewpoint. People who believe in a flat earth are not wrong because they are not intentionally lying? People who believe the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are not wrong because they are not intentionally lying?

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Originally posted by U:
I don't think you understood any of what I wrote but I will accept full blame for not explaining myself well enough. I can however not explain myself any better so I fail. Sorry. No, not sarcastic, not hurtful, just stating a fact and apologising for my shortcoming.

No need to apologize for that. Although, if you honestly can't write with any more clarity than you have shown so far, it's possible that you'd enjoy some other part of the Ship more than Purgatory, where being able to explain oneself clearly is expected of all participants.

However, you still haven't apologized for the offensive statements and implications of your OP. May I request again that you do so?

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Well-said, Josephine!!

I'm guessing, U, you have no interest in responding to my query above so I won't bother repeating it. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by U:
And despite all the arguments why intercession by friends is not a bad thing, I still think it BETTER to go to Jesus and from Jesus be filled with the Holy Spirit

It's not an either/or thing. Catholics are allowed to pray to Jesus (and the Holy Spirit, the Father, and the whole Trinity) as well.

Praying to saints isn't a substitute for prayer to God - it is, for some, an aid and an encouragement in prayer. It isn't an obligation, it is a privilege.

You don't have to do it yourself, and if it is a problem for you, then you probably shouldn't (I almost never do). However because you are a Christian, and therefore share in all that Christ is and has done, you have that freedom if you want to exercise it. If you ever feel it would be helpful to you to say something to a fellow Christian who is now with the Lord, you can do so. Some traditions find it helpful.

I'm not entirely convinced by the answers to the 'call no man father' question. Yes, I can see that a strictly literal reading is ruled out (I don't think I break the command by addressing certain classes of judge as 'Master' or 'My Lord', for example), but Jesus did, I assume, mean something by saying this.

I think there is a clear encouragement here to move away from honours and titles in the church. A priest who is concerned for his own status and for the way in which he is addressed probably isn't doing the job he is called to, and if you look hard enough, you can probably find such priests in all denominations. Probably Catholics more than most for the sole reason of their having more opportunity for such abuse to be noticed - but everyone who has tried to dominate their own little workplace, church or household by force of personality is in the same trap.

But on the other hand, we are commanded that we should in humilty esteem others more highly than ourselves, and that means treating them with appropriate, and culturally conditioned, respect. It seems obviously right to me for Christians to grant honour to leaders of the church, in order to honour our Lord, even if it would be wrong for the leaders to insist on any such thing.

We don't use respectful titles much in everyday life, so addressing a priest as "Father" can jar, simply because it is unusual outside particular traditions. I'm sure it becomes familiar soon enough - moving from a school where the teachers were "Mr [whatever]" to one where they were "Sir" felt strange to me for about a week - then it was natural. Addressing a judge as "Master" felt strange exactly once - then it was just another formal title. If I ever move to a church where the priest is "Father" I'll get used to it - and it will be the proper way to show the respect that is due to him as a minister of God, and that I ought to be showing to my priest however he is customarily addressed.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

As an Anglo-Catholic I'd be happy to see myself as reformed and Catholic - the Church is, after all, always in need of reformation. But I'm not happy with the description protestant. I don't think I have a 'protest' to make against the faith shared by my Orthodox and RC brothers and sisters.
Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:

Duo said:

quote:
... because of your love of God, loving your neighbour as yourself ...
And this causality implies that love of God comes chronologically first. I agree with you, CB, but what you said is not what Duo said.

Semantics. Actually Chesterbelloc is right - I adopted the order of priority given by Jesus who gave that "most importantly" status to love of God. But I also believe that we express our love for God by loving our neighbour - so someone who truly loves their neighbour is expressing love for God at the same time, even if they are not yet aware that they are doing so. It's another aspect of "if you did it to the least of my brethren, you did it to me" applied to good deeds as opposed to bad ones.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by U:

One difference between Christianity and many other religions is that we claim that God walked among us at a certain time long ago and made that time a central watershed: things were very different for the human race after these events than before.

What meaning does this fact have to us if we aren't interested in history? If we have no perspective to glimpse the meaning of "under Pontius Pilate" as a point in time, then as far as we can appreciate, all this might as well have happened in some kind of mythical time, as with the claims of other religions. If you said that you don't know much history and are too busy with life, or lack opportunity, to study it, I could understand; but not caring to know seems strange.

quote:
people are placing far too much stock in themselves, their choices, their insititutions and what they do and not enough stock in Jesus or God.

Part of faith in God is participating in the means of grace that He has provided. Only by doing so can I have any confidence that I am worshiping or hearing God. Without the church, how do you know that you are, for example, praying to Jesus rather than to some other supernatural being? Just by using the right name? That would be "praying as the Gentiles do."

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
U
Shipmate
# 5930

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by U:

[Confused]

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
quote:

I thought I did answer ChastMastr, and Josephine, since you seem to have passed judgement on me and are demanding that I apologise I would ask that you please read this with the following in mind "Judge not lest ye be judged". Please also remember that I have not in any way made any intentionally offensive statements about Roman Catholicism, I have always said that I am ASKING, not TELLING. If you choose to read the OP with the view that I am making statements about Roman Catholicism there is nought I can do to change that view except the reminder above. I hope you can see that as people have addressed what I've written I have merely stated the conclusions I have drawn directly related to those statements to ask for any further input.

I will try to eliminate confusion, I will try to address each point made by Josephine individually:

If you believe milk is good for you and you drink it and it keeps you healthy, that is true. If you start to believe that milk is bad for you and it starts making you sick, that also is true. If you then belief it is healthy again and it keeps you well, again it is true. Were you ever wrong? To me, the answer is no. Unless of course you are the White Witch. She would force you to choose one way or another and even if milk was making you sick might force you to drink it anyway on pain of death for disobedience.

I wasn't asking about the Catholic Church, I was asking about Christianity and how it applies to the Catholic Church. You presumed to answer the question from the perspective of the Roman Catholic Church. What's the point of me asking a question if you don't answer it or make up another question and answer that one?

The discussions herein are beyond the reach of most people. I did not say it was beyond the reach of people here. I was drawing a conclusion about the world based on my experience of the people in it. Don't project your limited understanding and view on me, its not nice.

I think that God is loving enough that He would create a church that met the needs of everyone rather a select few. Do you think God is not loving enough to make things very very simple and therefore easy for even the very very young to understand and yet complex enough for adults to retain interest in?

I issued an apology for my lack of clarity as a means of diffusing a situation, though I meant it, you are just as much at fault for failing to put in enough thought to try to see things from where I stand. I think you owe me an apology for trying to force me to believe I am being insulting though it is not intended that way.

I could keep going but its making me sick.

I hope you have a greater understanding about the whole "Judge not lest ye be judged" thing and I realise that using the same parameters you can again judge my judgements of you. Why bother? It can just keep escalating until someone backs down. I pray you can see that I am not trying to be insulting no matter what preconceived notions you have of the nature of this thread.

I never said that RC was worse, I was ASKING. I was stating wrongs as I saw them based on the fundamental truth of Jesus and an intimate knowledge of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and ASKING for input. Do I have to explain every single letter? Is it not enough that I make a blanket statement that I don't mean offense and am sorry if anyone takes it that way because it is definitely not intended that way?

--------------------

U
Shipmate
# 5930

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:
Originally posted by U:
And despite all the arguments why intercession by friends is not a bad thing, I still think it BETTER to go to Jesus and from Jesus be filled with the Holy Spirit

It's not an either/or thing. Catholics are allowed to pray to Jesus (and the Holy Spirit, the Father, and the whole Trinity) as well.

Praying to saints isn't a substitute for prayer to God - it is, for some, an aid and an encouragement in prayer. It isn't an obligation, it is a privilege.

You don't have to do it yourself, and if it is a problem for you, then you probably shouldn't (I almost never do). However because you are a Christian, and therefore share in all that Christ is and has done, you have that freedom if you want to exercise it. If you ever feel it would be helpful to you to say something to a fellow Christian who is now with the Lord, you can do so. Some traditions find it helpful.

I'm not entirely convinced by the answers to the 'call no man father' question. Yes, I can see that a strictly literal reading is ruled out (I don't think I break the command by addressing certain classes of judge as 'Master' or 'My Lord', for example), but Jesus did, I assume, mean something by saying this.

I think there is a clear encouragement here to move away from honours and titles in the church. A priest who is concerned for his own status and for the way in which he is addressed probably isn't doing the job he is called to, and if you look hard enough, you can probably find such priests in all denominations. Probably Catholics more than most for the sole reason of their having more opportunity for such abuse to be noticed - but everyone who has tried to dominate their own little workplace, church or household by force of personality is in the same trap.

But on the other hand, we are commanded that we should in humilty esteem others more highly than ourselves, and that means treating them with appropriate, and culturally conditioned, respect. It seems obviously right to me for Christians to grant honour to leaders of the church, in order to honour our Lord, even if it would be wrong for the leaders to insist on any such thing.

We don't use respectful titles much in everyday life, so addressing a priest as "Father" can jar, simply because it is unusual outside particular traditions. I'm sure it becomes familiar soon enough - moving from a school where the teachers were "Mr [whatever]" to one where they were "Sir" felt strange to me for about a week - then it was natural. Addressing a judge as "Master" felt strange exactly once - then it was just another formal title. If I ever move to a church where the priest is "Father" I'll get used to it - and it will be the proper way to show the respect that is due to him as a minister of God, and that I ought to be showing to my priest however he is customarily addressed.

Thankyou and I agree [Smile]

The main problem that I can see is that the people of the Church themselves made up these titles. Jesus didn't call anyone on earth His Father and asked us not to, He called those who taught His way His Disciples therefore for us to do so doesn't really fit into any of what we know he taught and MIGHT be causing more harm than good...

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Originally posted by U:
I think you owe me an apology for trying to force me to believe I am being insulting though it is not intended that way.

Nope, I'm not going there.

quote:
I pray you can see that I am not trying to be insulting no matter what preconceived notions you have of the nature of this thread.

I never said that RC was worse, I was ASKING. I was stating wrongs as I saw them based on the fundamental truth of Jesus and an intimate knowledge of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and ASKING for input. Do I have to explain every single letter? Is it not enough that I make a blanket statement that I don't mean offense and am sorry if anyone takes it that way because it is definitely not intended that way?

It would help, in a discussion forum, to explain yourself with enough clarity that people know what you meant. If you find that people are taking offense when you don't mean to be offensive, they're probably having problems figuring out what you meant. The way to take care of that problem is not to chastise them for being offended, or complain about having to explain yourself, but to express yourself more clearly.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
Originally posted by U:
I thought I did answer ChastMastr, and Josephine, since you seem to have passed judgement on me and are demanding that I apologise I would ask that you please read this with the following in mind "Judge not lest ye be judged". Please also remember that I have not in any way made any intentionally offensive statements about Roman Catholicism, I have always said that I am ASKING, not TELLING.

No. You are telling us what Catholic beliefs are - and then asking us why Catholics believe them.

quote:
If you choose to read the OP with the view that I am making statements about Roman Catholicism there is nought I can do to change that view except the reminder above.
Shall we see what you actually wrote in your OP?
quote:
There are 3 major Catholic beliefs that I don't understand how fit into the Word?
See emphasis - particularly given that you have two of these three beliefs wrong (and the third is interpretable in different ways).

quote:
First of all, Mary who birthed Jesus. God chose her to be a vessel for His son into this world but in no way did He place her above any other women, the focus was all on His Son, not her. Why then is she so intrinsically a part of so many prayers in Catholicism?
You are telling us that in no way did God place Mary above other women and then asking why. In short, you are telling us something about Christianity that is wrong - wrong based on scripture, wrong based on reason and wrong based on Tradition. And then you are asking why you don't understand.

quote:
Thirdly, it is said that the only way to Heaven according to Catholicism is through the Roman Catholic Church.
Again, you are telling us what Catholics believe. And again you are completely wrong about this. (Unless by "it is said", you mean that "someone told me" - in which case go back to whoever said it and tell them that they lied to you).

In short, you are telling us rubbish and then asking about the rubbish you are telling us.

quote:
I hope you can see that as people have addressed what I've written I have merely stated the conclusions I have drawn directly related to those statements to ask for any further input.
We are reading what you have actually written. This may not have been what you intended to write. (See my quotations above, all taken from your first post on the thread).

quote:
If you believe milk is good for you and you drink it and it keeps you healthy, that is true. If you start to believe that milk is bad for you and it starts making you sick, that also is true. If you then belief it is healthy again and it keeps you well, again it is true. Were you ever wrong?
[Confused]

quote:
I wasn't asking about the Catholic Church, I was asking about Christianity and how it applies to the Catholic Church. You presumed to answer the question from the perspective of the Roman Catholic Church. What's the point of me asking a question if you don't answer it or make up another question and answer that one?
CATHOLICS ARE CHRISTIANS! - therefore by answering from a Catholic (and Orthodox and Anglican and Lutheran and ...) perspective, we were answering your question. Just because the meaning of Christian is wider than you believe doesn't mean that answering from this perspective is invalid. It is your question that got things wrong, not the answers given.

quote:
I think you owe me an apology for trying to force me to believe I am being insulting though it is not intended that way.
You have been repeatedly insulting on this thread. You may not mean to be insulting - but that doesn't mean you weren't. To use an analogy, it is possible to refer to wogs without intending to be insulting - but that doesn't mean that it isn't insult based on ignorance.

quote:
I pray you can see that I am not trying to be insulting no matter what preconceived notions you have of the nature of this thread.
I accept that you are not trying to be insulting. What you are is badly informed and basing many of your assumptions off prejudiced lies.

quote:
I was stating wrongs as I saw them based on the fundamental truth of Jesus and an intimate knowledge of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and ASKING for input.
An intimate enough knowledge to ignore the Virgin Birth and the Magnificat? I suggest you define

quote:
Is it not enough that I make a blanket statement that I don't mean offense and am sorry if anyone takes it that way because it is definitely not intended that way?
I don't mean to be insulting - I just wonder why Jews eat babies. I don't mean to be insulting - I just wonder why all blacks are thick. I don't mean to be insulting - I just don't believe that adoptive parents are real parents. See how not intending to give insult doesn't mean you won't? (And my apologies to anyone insulted by the pernicious lies I used as examples above).

Any time you need to say "I don't mean offence", think carefully before opening your mouth (or putting fingers to keyboard).

--------------------

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

On the other hand self-professed Protestant Anglicans are part of a church that has the Laudians, the Oxford movement, the sub-ritualists and Anglo-papalism as part of its heritage. The point is, surely, that Anglicanism has throughout its history had both catholic and protestant elements, which is what makes it both irritating and itriguing. But any given individual may well be entirely 'protestant' or 'catholic' in terms of belief. Most protestants I know would be very uncomfortable with me being described as a protestant.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by U:
the people of the Church themselves made up these titles. Jesus didn't call anyone on earth His Father and asked us not to, He called those who taught His way His Disciples therefore for us to do so doesn't really fit into any of what we know he taught and MIGHT be causing more harm than good...

Do you think that it's o.k. to call clergy "Pastor" or "Reverend"? Or even "Mister?" Why? These are just as made-up as "Father." Or shouldn't there be clergy at all?

--------------------

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:

We don't use respectful titles much in everyday life, so addressing a priest as "Father" can jar, simply because it is unusual outside particular traditions.

And as a consequence it might become less usual in the church. It is certainly the case that ACs and RCs call priests by their first names more frequently now than a few decades ago. I don't really see a problem with this, it's hardly an issue of faith. On the other hand, given that many people will use a title of me I far prefer 'Father', not least because it is a good deal less suggestive of personal prestige than 'Reverend' and, in school situations, differentiates my role from that of a teacher in a way that 'Mr' doesn't. As an A-C it also makes the point that I claim to be a priest in the same sense as an RC or Orthodox. All of this aside, the claim that the use of the title is forbidden by scripture is obviously nonsense.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by U:
I was stating wrongs as I saw them based on the fundamental truth of Jesus and an intimate knowledge of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and ASKING for input.[/QB]

You'll find that (Roman) Catholic priests, of whom there are many on these boards, are also highly familiar with Jesus and the Evangelists. They might not, perhaps, couch their learning in the immodest terms you've used, but all those years in seminary aren't for nothing. I think you might have to acknowledge a degree of personal interpretation and even prejudice in how you see this 'fundamental truth'.

And as for your claim that you're not trying to be insulting, I'm afraid that being effortlessly insulting is not really any nicer. Could you please try not be insulting? I am a Christian and I call myself a Catholic, although I am not a Roman Catholic and have no intention of becoming so. I find your position ill-considered, and your expression of it insensitively expressed. I add my voice to the others here in asking for a proper apology.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf:
Anglicanism has throughout its history had both catholic and protestant elements,

Since it's U's thread, why don't we let him tell us whether, for now, the Anglican church is Protestant or Catholic. My parish, for instance:

1) Has a shrine to Our Lady before which "Hail Mary" etc. is prayed regularly. (Admittedly, this is rather unusual.)

2) Calls its clergy "Father." (Not at all unusual.)

3) Teaches that Holy Baptism and Holy Communion are "generally necessary to salvation." (Quoting from the historic Book of Common Prayer, hence quite normative.) Baptism = initiation into the catholic church (with or without capital C.) Even the Roman Catholics hold that one can be baptized 'into' the Catholic church without being baptized 'in' a Catholic church.

So, U., is my church Catholic? If it is, well, I'm pleading guilty (as I have all along). If not, well, you admit that Protestants can do and believe this stuff you're asking about, too. It's not distinctively RC.

Have it either way you like.

[ 21. February 2006, 15:19: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
And as for your claim that you're not trying to be insulting, I'm afraid that being effortlessly insulting is not really any nicer. Could you please try not be insulting?
T.

Patience! I remember saying plenty of insulting things about gay people in my closeted days. Maybe U. is a closet Catholic on the verge of opening the door. Being fascinated with the apparently forbidden is a classic symptom. [Biased]

[ 21. February 2006, 15:28: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016