homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So is the Ship 'church' in your view?

Or do you agree with Father Gregory that it isn't because it doesn't link belonging with believing?

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to register don't you? Which involves signing up to the 10 commandments - and a certain view of how the net should be used....

To my mind, church involves a belief in the incarnation and resurrection. On the other hand, I don't necessarily think every member has to believe in that... so maybe the SoF is part of the church.

Does it matter?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Father G--

I don't actually disagree with you, I was trying to describe where I think the "Jesus good/Church bad" attitude comes from--the tendency of hierarchies to act as if they own the Church being one factor among many, along with the willingness of laity to buy into that construct. I don't say it always happens, but it's a risk inherent in that sort of structure.

Back in the 1980s, William F. Buckley wrote a column about one of JPII's encyclicals that a lot of American Catholcs were disappointed in (I have no memory of what it was about--probably sex, if it got that much attention). This was about the time of the New Coke fiasco, and Buckley took that as his metaphor, saying that the Pope was giving the faithful Classic Coke doctrine, refusing to bow to market pressures, even if many would have preferred New Coke doctrine. This is not to pick on the RCC, because I know plenty of Catholics who refuse to regard themselves as mere customers (and I don't think JPII thought of them that way). But the fact that an intelligent and theologically sophisticated man like Buckley would not see the grotesqueness of that metaphor, and how that kind of thinking that has permeated Western culture corrodes our ability to see ourselves as members of the Church (or any community) is quite telling.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dwynwen
Shipmate
# 3900

- Posted      Profile for Dwynwen   Email Dwynwen       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that the inordinate amount of time given to interacting with a screen is impeding, if not corroding, our will to communicate face to face in a community.

We are encouraging a generation of desensitised individuals who prefer to be in control of the interaction rather than sensitively reacting in a social group setting in any organisation. Self absorption not awareness of 'the other'and their needs.

I have to say that I have not experienced this in any of the church communities I have belonged to over the years. Fellowship in religious groups is how the Church began. The loving and learning therein is necessary to give meaning to our spiritual journey. I thank God for the spiritual direction I receive and for our caring community who encourage one another in the faith.

I do agree that many are shy of entering the church for whatever reason but they would be the first to protest if their parish church was no longer there.

Peace,
Dwynwen.

Posts: 149 | From: Manchester | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
You have to register don't you? Which involves signing up to the 10 commandments - and a certain view of how the net should be used....

Thinking about this, it occurs to me that perhaps the Ship does illustrate something that might be transferable to 'real life'.

The 10 Cs are not in general related to the content of what goes on here in any way. What we've signed up to are rules that the management's experience tells them are necessary for an online community to function well. There's a historical connection with Christianity that no doubt influences who notices the Ship's existence, which in turn means most people here have some Christian connection.

But in terms of beliefs, it's only the tolerance or otherwise of who happens to be here at any one time that places any limitation on who's allowed on board. Whatever happens here arises out of interpersonal interaction while we're here. That's nothing as far as I can see to do with any belief requirement from the management.

And yet all this stuff, whatever it is that makes the Ship a community, keeps on happenning. Why couldn't real life church, 'Christianity', work the same way?

Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016