homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Grace, Legalism, and Christian Conduct (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Grace, Legalism, and Christian Conduct
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a spin-off from the Rosary thread.

I have been thoroughly confused for years by the faith-and-grace versus works dichotomy. On the one hand I believe that anything that brings us to salvation/reconciliation starts with God. But where do works come in? Are they an automatic out-pouring of the gifts of the Spirit? Are they a loving response to the Love that found us first? Are they part of contrition for our previously sorry selves?

Jesus says that he is the fulfillment of the Law. Paul says he no longer lives under the Law. Yet the NT is full of precepts, admonishments, and rebukes for things done and left undone, seemingly numerous rules and regulations, most reiterating aspects of the Law. It reads like the Law all shined up with a new coat of paint. The only difference is that the Lord God of Israel expected perfection of his chosen nation and would smack them around when they got out of line. Jesus Christ said things that seemed to speak of salvation being connected to works and obeying the Law like:
quote:
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
And:
quote:
"Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it."
Lots and lots of works with plenty of dire warnings that if we don't do them we might not have a place in Heaven.

Even the famous promise in John that by faith we are saved seems to say that acceptance and rejection of God arises from our deeds, not our deeds arising from our relationship with God.
quote:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been carried out in God."
If I was more Biblically knowledgeable I would probably have other more acute examples.

So what do we make of this? It feels like a catch-22. If we do good works or avoid bad conduct because the Bible tells us to, are we treating the NT as the New Law? And is that okay? What if good deeds don't seem to be arising like a fountain from our salvation, if we "try" to make good deeds happen are we just faking it, are they not real good deeds? Does that mean we are the goats who cry "Lord! Lord!" yet aren't up to snuff? Or if we don't live under the Law are we doomed by "For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven"? And if Grace cancels out that hard fate, why did Jesus state he requires such conduct?

[Confused] [Help]

[ 27. February 2006, 22:41: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the "Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification" by the Lutheran World Federation and the Catholic Church is an excellent place to start. Then follow it up with the Catechism on "Grace and Justification." That entire (not so long) chapter is worth your time, it contains unequivcoal statements like "The merit of man before God in the Christian life arises from the fact that God has freely chosen to associate man with the work of his grace."

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

a child on sydney harbour
# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That will be the Roman view Ingo is pointing you towards there.

The biblical view is well summarized here:

quote:
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
What is being taught, I think, is that we are right with God only because of what he has done, not because of anything we have done. We can have complete confidence that we are now with Christ in heaven.

Good works are what we do now that we are in Christ. They have been prepared in advance for us by God, that is, even what good we do has already (in one sense) been done by God.

This working out of what God's grace really means is the basis of boundless joy and assurance for those who trust in Jesus and his death!

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Posts: 4392 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, I'll take a gander at your links tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy and then make my response or ask questions.

Gordon, I'm glad you are joining in because you are the one that has me thinking about it again. You always seem so ardently against "works" in worship and prayer although not in charity and evangelism. It seems like you assume that any kind of frills or self-discipline in worship or prayer are suspect and somehow attempts to earn salvation, while charity and evangelism get a bye. Or am I mistaken? It just seems that the sin of trying too hard for yourself falls mostly on catholic practices (Anglo-Catholic, RC, or Orthodox). Do evangelicals ever try too hard to earn the approval of heaven? I certainly know ones who always stand on the razor's edge about whether their faith is good and correct enough for God. Trying to get the perfect faith become works.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gordon, I am struck yet again by the language barrier between evangelicals and catholics.

quote:
What is being taught, I think, is that we are right with God only because of what he has done, not because of anything we have done. We can have complete confidence that we are now with Christ in heaven.

Good works are what we do now that we are in Christ. They have been prepared in advance for us by God, that is, even what good we do has already (in one sense) been done by God.

No self-respecting c(C)atholic would disagree with this, in that all good and any motivation towards good comes from and is achieved by God. Don't know what you call it, but we call it the work of God's grace producing faith, from which flows the enaction of faith in works. (Which is why I say we create a false dichotomy between faith and works; the two are inseparable, because faith itself is a work infused by the grace of God, it's a verb, not just a noun.)

Although what you say begs the age old question of where our wills come into the picture. Where do we participate in the actual doing of good works if they are done by God? Are we mere automatons through which God does his good works? (Which is a logical conclusion from your - what appears to me to be - passifist stance.)

quote:

This working out of what God's grace really means is the basis of boundless joy and assurance for those who trust in Jesus and his death!

So, 2+2=5...

Let me rephrase that, because your language barks up the wrong tree for me.

This working out of what God's grace really means is the basis of boundless joy in the anticipation of that one-ness with God Jesus in his life, death, resurrection and ascension obtained for us.

I use the word anticipation, because we live in the now and the not yet. This state of being in the now and not yet calls for hope. This is the hope we have of eternal life beholding God as God truly is, face to face.

If an expression of salvation ignores this overarching fact, it is falling short of the whole truth. I feel your "boundless joy and assurance" is like salvation for salvation's sake, with a focus on the one saved (me, you, whoever) and on the moment of salvation. Which is a very individualistic and egotistical view. We can never forget that our ultimate purpose as the Corporate Body of Christ (and therefore as individuals within it who are dearly loved by Christ) is to "glorify God and enjoy him forever." [I aint forgotten my Westminster Shorter Catechism! [Biased] ]

Apart from the arrogance of the doctrine of assurance (in that it ignores the necessary virtue of hope), there is very little that separates your position from that of mainstream catholics. And the rest of us.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
f an expression of salvation ignores this overarching fact, it is falling short of the whole truth. I feel your "boundless joy and assurance" is like salvation for salvation's sake, with a focus on the one saved (me, you, whoever) and on the moment of salvation. Which is a very individualistic and egotistical view. We can never forget that our ultimate purpose as the Corporate Body of Christ (and therefore as individuals within it who are dearly loved by Christ) is to "glorify God and enjoy him forever." [I aint forgotten my Westminster Shorter Catechism! ]
I meant to add after this: We forget in all this salvation stuff that it's not ultimately about us, and how we can be saved, but about God. It's about how God made us for himself, and our hearts will always be restless until they rest in God.
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Salvation through faith vs Salvation through works, a perennial topic. Also see: false dichotomy.

For salvation through works, start off with the premise that "by their fruits shall ye know them" and "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Both hardly unbiblical sentiments and coming from Jesus rather than Paul).

Then works become the symptom and the symbol of salvation (and you get rather fewer "Sunday Morning Christians") because the fruits of the faith are the works.

Step forward a few hundred years. The priests are evaluating the works. Therefore, church-related works are given heavier weight than they perhaps should be. A few corrupt priests are selling "Indulgences" - saying that giving money to the priest is of itself a good work. Also known as the sin of Simony.

Step forward a few more hundred years. Simony is now rampant and accepted as normal. Some honest priest gets fed up and nails a collection of theses to a church door.

At this point, it has been shown that over-emphasis on works leads to the corruption of the priesthood. Therefore the doctrine of "Salvation through faith alone", with the works being the outward manifestation of that faith is formulated. At this point, the doctrine of "Salvation through faith alone" has only trivial differences from the salvation by works as was originally intended.

Step forward to the present day. The Roman Catholic Church has both lost temporal power (meaning that the average priest is much more devout and less interested in power) and responded positively to the Reformation. Salvation by works is therefore more or less back on track - and therefore is not incompatable with the purer notions of Salvation through Faith Alone.

On the other hand, many protestant churches which have much less of a knowledge of history than the RCC (which obviously does not include the Lutherans - see IngoB's link) remember that Salvation through Faith Alone was set up in opposition to Salvation through Works. Some remain on track, seeing the works as a symptom of faith. Some wrongly denigrate works in favour of faith, remembering that there once was a dichotomy, but forgetting the reasons it was seen as such. Some go even further and say that Faith is all that matters - no matter what the works you do. You also get perversions like the "Second Work of Grace" - meaning (and I know that this isn't the only meaning) that after you have received it, you can no longer sin.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Merchant Trader
Shipmate
# 9007

- Posted      Profile for Merchant Trader     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For once I am with IngoB and must admit I find the statement from Gordon that IngoB is giving a Catholic view whilst he is giving a biblical view almost Hellish (in the Ship sense).

IngoB was referencing a joint Lutheran/Catholic statement, fundamentally biblically based and hardly only Catholic by definition.

I too belive that we are saved by Gods' grace i.e. not earnt by works - rather glad that I dont have to rely on the scales. However, although I am saved by faith, only to the extent that faith reults in works is there assurance. The joint statement puts it better !

--------------------
... formerly of Muscovy, Lombardy & the Low Countries; travelling through diverse trading stations in the New and Olde Worlds

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lutherans who signed on to the JDDJ would be interested to know that Gordon considers us "Roman." [Roll Eyes]

The Lutheran point of view is that good works are our loving response to the grace that has been given to us freely, without any merit on our part. Which is more or less what the JDDJ says.

Suppose your Sweet Baboo puts an engagement ring on your finger. That's grace. Now, you can respond to that act of love with indifference; or you can respond with loving/nurturing/helping your Sweet Baboo -- not to earn points, but because you love your Sweet Baboo and just want to show your love. That's the proper place of good works. Now, after you get your Sweet Baboo's ring on your finger you start doubting your Sweet Baboo's intentions -- you keep wondering what quid pro quo you're expected to provide in return for SB's attentions, or you respond to SB only out of a sense of duty or fear that if you stop SB is going to ask for the ring back, or if you start inventing "rules" in your head about what SB expects of you in order to be able to keep your ring...that's legalism.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Cheng:
We can have complete confidence that we are now with Christ in heaven.

Sorry Gordon, this may or may not be going off at a tangent, but can we have complete confidence that we won't reject our faith later in life (apostatize)?

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

phoenix_811
Shipmate
# 4662

- Posted      Profile for phoenix_811   Author's homepage   Email phoenix_811   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Actually, Gordon, the claim you seem to be making here is not "the biblical view" (more on this in a sec), but the Reformed view. Especially when you tack on:

quote:
That last sentence sounds an awful lot like the predestination confidence taught by Calvin. Meanwhile, back to "the biblical view." Biblical scholarship has demonstrated rather convincingly that there are a plethora of views represented in the Bible. (See especially J.D. Dunn Unity and Diversity in the New Testament). To claim any one view as "the biblical view" is rather a red herring in this day and age.

--------------------
"Preach the gospel to the whole world, and if necessary, use words." -St. Francis of Assisi

Posts: 487 | From: the state of confusion | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The biblical view is well summarized here

There is no such thing as "the biblical view". There is "the Roman opinion of what the biblical view is" and "the Gordo opinion of what the biblical view is" and "the gnpcb.org opinion of what the biblical view is" and so on ad nauseam. This facile idea that "well you have your tradition of men, but WE believe the BAH-BULL" is self-serving, reality-denying steer feces. Having it set out so beautifully in two lines is really too too much.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Problem with discussions like this is that somehow they always end up bringing in the issue that if all good works come from God's grace acting on us then the very act of deciding to follow God must be facilitated by God pouring out his grace upon us to allow it.

This leads us on to the rather shaky ground of predestination.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the idea of justification by faith, or justification by grace through faith, hugely problematic. I just don't see how it can be logially coherent or, if it is coherent, how it is consistent with other central parts of Christian doctrine.

Different denominations did, and do, interpret justification differently; but all mainstream denominations (so far as I know) take the view that faith is an expression of being justified (i.e., made just) by God's grace. That is, we don't earn justification by our faith; rather faith is the outworking of the gift of grace.

The problem with this view is that it does not explain how God's grace was manifested in individuals before there was a Jesus Christ to have faith in. It also doesn't explain how people are justified who have never heard the Christian message, and therefore cannot respond by faith in Jesus Christ.

Arguably, these people are not justified -- despite their best efforts they live sinful lives. Arguably God ordains that this should be the case, that some people should be denied justification. This is logically coherent, but I don't see how a benevolent God can show such inequity to his creatures.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
Problem with discussions like this is that somehow they always end up bringing in the issue that if all good works come from God's grace acting on us then the very act of deciding to follow God must be facilitated by God pouring out his grace upon us to allow it.

This leads us on to the rather shaky ground of predestination.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. The Arminian position, as I understand it, is that faith is the result of the gift of grace which can freely be rejected.

So I don't think predestination is necessarily a problem, whether one accepts predestination or not.

It seems to me that even the Arminian position requires that grace can only be given to those who are aware of the Christian message. Otherwise, what would people have faith in?

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by phoenix_811:
quote:

quote:
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Actually, Gordon, the claim you seem to be making here is not "the biblical view" (more on this in a sec), but the Reformed view. Especially when you tack on:

quote:
That last sentence sounds an awful lot like the predestination confidence taught by Calvin. Meanwhile, back to "the biblical view." Biblical scholarship has demonstrated rather convincingly that there are a plethora of views represented in the Bible. (See especially J.D. Dunn Unity and Diversity in the New Testament). To claim any one view as "the biblical view" is rather a red herring in this day and age.

Actually, I think Gordon has affirmed in the past that he is a pretty strong Calvinist so it probably isn't "sounds like" but is- Calvinism, that is.

Okay, as I said, I have no doubts about grace being the base of our salvation. I still am having trouble fitting in all the many requirements that seem to be tacked on that free grace. Not that I have any quarrel with serving the poor, visiting the prisoners, being chaste, being loving but so much of it seems to be in many passages tied to whether one is actually saved or not thus engendering doubts.

Okay, here's a passage that really puts a lot of my confusion in a nutshell:
quote:
Philippians 2:12-13 12Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Now I know that by the context "work out your own salvation" refers mostly to the fact that Paul can't be there to hold the hand of the young church at Phillippi. But it also seems to say salvation isn't necessarily present and they need to work on it. Now I know this is perfectly logical to an Orthodox Christian, but how does it fit for those who believe in a salvation event? When a person says those magic words "I repent and accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior" salvation is not assured? If works don't start happening it didn't "take"? Or, poor you, even if you desire salvation you are not among the Elect- too bad, so sad? Or you are being contrarily smug and sinful in your sense of salvation and therefore dropped the ball and lost you salvation?

As you see still rather [Confused] .

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc, you and I would differ on whether faith is a work or not, as you've already said.

Faith, on my understanding, is a settled attitude of trust. It's not a specifically Christian idea; everyone trusts something, whether their chair, their bus-driver, their internet connection, or their mother. Christian faith is a free gift of God's grace and is different from the other types of faith only because of its object, the Lord Jesus.

However, there is no work whatsoever involved in such faith, at least on my part. Even the will to trust God is only there because God through his Spirit brought me to life in the first place (yes, this is the standard Calvinist position).

Lyda, the verses you highlight from Philippians are another excellent summary of the biblical view of the relationship between works and faith.

I'll keep saying "the" biblical view not because I haven't heard the objections that 'there's no such thing', but because it's a shorthand way of describing my own position in contrast to the positions held by others. The details of particular discussions will show up whether or not the claim that there is a bibilical view is coherent, or not.

The way I reconcile Paul's belief stated elsewhere that salvation is "not by works", but "by grace through faith", and his statement in Phil 1:12-13 that we must "work out" our faith with fear and trembling, is to realize that the faith he's speaking about must express itself in works, or it is not true faith. If the train's engine (faith) moves forward, the attached carriages (works) must follow—although Paul may not have used this analogy [Smile]

Any assurance we might have, however, comes not because we know that God will look at our works together with our faith and freely deem them meritorious (the Roman position—and actually, it contains no assurance, because this would on their view be presumption). It comes because we know that it is indeed God who is at work, as v 13 says. He is both originator and overseer of our faith, and of the work that follows.

Just a few verses earlier, in Philippians 1:6, Paul expresses exactly this confidence when he says:

quote:
1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
I imagine that if we put our trust in the Lord Jesus Christ (and central to having that trust is acknowledging that he is indeed 'Lord', not just some dude with a neat line in fish multiplication) then it ought to flow forth in doing what he commands, which is to "Love one another". I conclude that the person who doesn't love, and/or who apostasizes, demonstrates that they never really had saving faith.

"Work out your salvation with fear and trembling" is one way Paul has of saying "Don't be that person."

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

phoenix_811
Shipmate
# 4662

- Posted      Profile for phoenix_811   Author's homepage   Email phoenix_811   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll keep saying "the" biblical view not because I haven't heard the objections that 'there's no such thing', but because it's a shorthand way of describing my own position in contrast to the positions held by others. The details of particular discussions will show up whether or not the claim that there is a bibilical view is coherent, or not.
Are you saying that other's positions are not biblical then? You could just as well indicate you own view by saying, "In my view" or "In my understanding." Not sure what you mean by the last sentence at all.

--------------------
"Preach the gospel to the whole world, and if necessary, use words." -St. Francis of Assisi

Posts: 487 | From: the state of confusion | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll keep saying "the" biblical view not because I haven't heard the objections that 'there's no such thing', but because it's a shorthand way of describing my own position in contrast to the positions held by others.

Then you'll either have to accept that others will conclude that your arrogating to your own opinions the soubriquet "the biblical view" is the action of an arrogant, pompous twit or you'll sensibly change the description to something like "my view" or, at a pinch, "my view, which I believe is consonant with Sacred Scripture".

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

It's only arrogant to claim that something is "the biblical view" if some kind of merit attaches to having worked out what it is. But my view is that a child is more likely to understand what the Bible is saying than a theologian of many degrees.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
Arguably, these people are not justified -- despite their best efforts they live sinful lives. Arguably God ordains that this should be the case, that some people should be denied justification. This is logically coherent, but I don't see how a benevolent God can show such inequity to his creatures.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

I think the general medium-sized-c catholic* position is that we are supposed to respond to God insofar as we are able to. E.g. at the most basic level everyone is aware of some concept of Good, and since we believe that God=Good, our response to our awareness of good is a kind of response to God.

----
* Private pigeonholing system:
small-c catholic = logically, anyone who recites the line about "one holy catholic and apostolic church" in the Nicene Creed.
Large-C Catholic = Roman Catholic, some of whom object to the qualification "Roman".
Ergo medium-sized-c catholic = people who share many of the beliefs labelled "Catholic" without being in communion with the See of Rome.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Gordon - the definite article is exclusive, no matter how many ""'s you put round it. Your position is either:
  • you're right and everyone else is wrong,
  • your stated position is your interpretation of Scripture, and is open for discussion.
Which is it?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The biblical view is well summarized here

Both "Roman" sources (make that non-Zwinglian/Calvinist, poor Lutherans...) make extensive use of scripture, but hey, if more scripture is what you want, more scripture is what you get: "Scripture Catholic" on Justification.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Gordon - the definite article is exclusive, no matter how many ""'s you put round it. Your position is either:
  • you're right and everyone else is wrong,
  • your stated position is your interpretation of Scripture, and is open for discussion.

Which is it?

Closer to the second. I'm also making the claim that the biblical view is not private property, endlessly under a cloud of doubt and misunderstanding but accessible to the church of God.

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
I'm also making the claim that the biblical view is not private property, endlessly under a cloud of doubt and misunderstanding but accessible to the church of God.

Sorry, this would be less confusing if reworded as

"I'm also making the claim that the biblical view is not private property, endlessly under a cloud of doubt and misunderstanding by others. Rather, the biblical view is accessible to the church of God."

I think Trisagion and Ingo's view would be that the Roman church is the church of God.

I would also say that non-christians are incapable of understanding Scripture unless God by his Spirit makes them able, which means that they are becoming Christians. Probably a bit off OP, though.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
There is no such thing as "the biblical view". There is "the Roman opinion of what the biblical view is" and "the Gordo opinion of what the biblical view is" and "the gnpcb.org opinion of what the biblical view is" and so on ad nauseam.

How very post-modern of you.

[Razz]

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon:
"I'm also making the claim that the biblical view is not private property, endlessly under a cloud of doubt and misunderstanding by others. Rather, the biblical view is accessible to the church of God."

I think Trisagion and Ingo's view would be that the Roman church is the church of God.

Well, whether or not the RCC is the whole of the church of God or only a part of it, historically the vast majority of the Church has not been Calvinist. So if the Biblical view is the view accessible to the Church, then it is rather unlikely that the Biblical view is Calvinism.

Unless of course you're going to define the Church as "Calvinists and no-one else". But that would be a bit circular, now...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly, using "the Biblical view" in relation to your own perspective is at best ignorantly offensive.

But Gordon cannot be unaware of the offense, so one is unfortunately left to the conclusion that it is deliberate.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
So if the Biblical view is the view accessible to the Church, then it is rather unlikely that the Biblical view is Calvinism.

Why?

quote:
Unless of course you're going to define the Church as "Calvinists and no-one else". But that would be a bit circular, now...
No, you will be happy to know that this is not how I define the church. The church is God's saints gathered around the Lord Jesus, at this very moment and on into eternity.

Ham'n'Eggs, I am giving offense yes, but it's not my primary purpose. Even to say it is my intended purpose would be an overstatement. Anyway, if you or others feel sufficiently offended, you can always call me on it and we can discuss it in the appropriate southerly forum (Hell, the Circus, whatever...)

But this is all off OP, so I won't say any more on this tangent.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
quote:
So if the Biblical view is the view accessible to the Church, then it is rather unlikely that the Biblical view is Calvinism.

Why?
The alternative is to say that most of the Church is wrong. But how can the meaning of Scripture be said to be accessible to the Church if most of the Church can't understand it?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Gordon, I have no theoretical objection to calling something the "biblical view." But I don't think that you have demonstrated that justification by faith is the biblical view.

I think that you need to account for Jesus' statements, which appear to contradict justification by faith, before calling it the "biblical view".

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I conclude that the person who doesn't love, and/or who apostasizes, demonstrates that they never really had saving faith.

I've always thought that this aspect of Calvinism illustrates the great difficulty we have in holding to the simple belief that God will save us.

Gordon criticises cCatholicism for leaving the believer in fear and doubt (where perfect love drives out fear) and proclaims that we can have assurance that God will save us by graceously giving us saving faith.

But that saving faith must be evidenced by love, or it is not real! So the thought persists in our heads - is my faith real? What if it is not and I fall? How do I know?

I am told that my faith is real if I love and that people who love evangelise and visit widows. Perhaps if I evangelise and visit widows then I will prove to myself, my church and God that I love and thus that my faith is real.

And back we slide into conditional works-based salvation...

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Bingo! My quandary exactly.

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for clarifying your position, Gordon. I have no desire to start another "its Monday, so Gordo must be in Hell again" thread. [Biased]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today's reading is taken from the gospel of Matthew, chapter 25 verses 31-46

quote:
31When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Gordon, as you can see, Jesus himself explicitely says that the judgement shall take place based upon what individuals actually did - without mentioning what they believed.

In other words, the biblical view as expressed by Jesus of Nazareth, the Son, rather than Saul of Tarsus, is that salvation shall be decided on what was actually done - i.e. Works.

Jesus himself, when outlining the criteria that will be used for the judgement above says nothing about faith.

Why then do you say that The Biblical View™ is that salvation is through faith alone? Clearly there is strong biblical support from Jesus himself that salvation is through works.

If you were to call it the Gordon Cheng view, I don't think anyone would object - but to call it The Biblical View™ is to leave out large and important sections of the bible - and those from Jesus himself rather than Saul of Tarsus.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
I am told that my faith is real if I love and that people who love evangelise and visit widows. Perhaps if I evangelise and visit widows then I will prove to myself, my church and God that I love and thus that my faith is real.

And back we slide into conditional works-based salvation...

There is no way around it. At least no "biblical" way.

I agree with Justinian. This is just one of several similar statements by Jesus. For example:
quote:
"For unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of the heavens.” Matthew 5:20.

“A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36“But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” Matthew 12.35-27

"No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments." Matthew 19.16

At the completion of the age angels will go forth and separate the wicked from out of the midst of the righteous. Matthew 13:49.

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22“Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ Matthew 7.21-23

“If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 9“As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10“If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love. John 15.6-10

“And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last. Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie." Revelation 22.12-15

Justification by faith may be the orthodox view of protestant Christianity, but in my view protestantism has never adequately accounted for these kinds of statements.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

As an aside - Justinian: would you classify the message you are drawing from the passage above (that we will be judged and sent to heaven or hell based on whether we have done enough good deeds in this life) as good news?

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting back to Philippians 2:12, the phrase fear and trembling appears not to have had the same force in Paul's usage as it does in ours.

Here are all the verses in Paul's letters where this phrase is used.

Moreover, I think we are supposed to experience fear and trembling because God is working in us, not because we may end up in hell.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
As an aside - Justinian: would you classify the message you are drawing from the passage above (that we will be judged and sent to heaven or hell based on whether we have done enough good deeds in this life) as good news?

It's certainly good news for the 2/3 of the planet who aren't Christians.

But I wouldn't characterize Jesus' statements as saying we will be judged and sent to heaven or hell based on whether we have done enough good deeds in this life.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's only arrogant to claim that something is "the biblical view" if some kind of merit attaches to having worked out what it is. But my view is that a child is more likely to understand what the Bible is saying than a theologian of many degrees.

I'd be interested to see if you really believe that when, for example, it is applied to the gracious encounter with the divine in liturgy and particularly communion - itself a microcosmic representation of the human-divine encounter in salvation. If a child reaches out her/his hands to receive communion because in his/her encounter with God in biblical teaching, family life and liturgy, then I administer that touch of God to her. She has recognized her need of a touch of God. He reaching out of hands is not a work but a response. Yet I suspect her response wouldn't receive the act of communion because she hasn't shown cerebral understanding of the Lord's Supper and all it does/doesn't entail. It may be a tangent, but I had a furious stand-up row with your boss on this matter once, and it seems to me to lie or close to the heart of the Calvinist/Other Christian divide.

Not clear because I'm rushing - maybe I'll tidy the connections after I get my kid from preschool.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
The alternative is to say that most of the Church is wrong. But how can the meaning of Scripture be said to be accessible to the Church if most of the Church can't understand it?

Most of the churches on earth are right on most things—hence the ecumenical creeds. No churches are right on all things, I suspect. And even Calvin didn't think you needed to be a Calvinist on predestination in order to be a christian (I certainly don't).

The contested area between Romanism and a number of other churches is soteriology. Not a small area, I admit, but you would have to be wiser than Solomon to work out which members of which churches had got it right. One of those wheat and tares things. But this too is a tangent from OP, so I will stop talking about it.

Demas, I think, with respect, that that focus is all wrong. The basis of assurance is not my own good works but God's say-so. If I take him at his word, I gain assurance.

Now my good works (or lack thereof) may well prove that have integrity or, alternatively, that I am the most dreadful hypocrite and am going to get it in the neck come judgement day. But the only basis for assurance I have is the cross of Christ, to which I'm called on to respond by faith issuing in good works.

(In fact I tend to think that my good works reveal that I am simul justus et peccator, simultaneously righteous and sinful)

Preoccupation with my own good works as a means of assurance means that I am looking at the wrong thing—myself rather than Christ.

Freddy, I like what you've said a lot. I take it that one useful function of this thread may indeed be to test whether what I've said is the biblical view. If it's not, I'll have to change my mind and thank people for their help in thinking it through. If it is, I'll have to keep thinking what I'm thinking and thank people for their help in thinking it through.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<snip> Preoccupation with my own good works as a means of assurance means that I am looking at the wrong thing—myself rather than Christ.

(italics added)

Are there people who are preoccupied with something called "works" "as a means of assurance." Whatever "works" are, and I think the word is a "process linguistic" with very little real meaning, I doubt many people are saying to themselves "oh I must feed this poor person / paint this church to ensure I'm saved"(whatever that means).

I would place the work of the servants of God in the same category as "faith" - a knee-jerk response to the encounter with grace. I encounter, therefore I believe therefore I serve, therefore I proclaim therefore I reach out my hands in sacramental encounter blah blah blah ...".

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
<snip> [qb]Preoccupation with my own good works as a means of assurance means that I am looking at the wrong thing—myself rather than Christ.

(italics added)

Are there people who are preoccupied with something called "works" "as a means of assurance."

Hey Zappa. I think Demas was suggesting that there were. In my opinion the later puritans in the 17th century went down this track a little too far.

quote:
originally posted by the Zappa:
Whatever "works" are, and I think the word is a "process linguistic" with very little real meaning

Mate, I don't want to be nasty here, but I think there's an irony going on somewhere in this statement [Biased]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
Today's reading is taken from the gospel of Matthew, chapter 25 verses 31-46

quote:
31When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Gordon, as you can see, Jesus himself explicitely says that the judgement shall take place based upon what individuals actually did - without mentioning what they believed.

In other words, the biblical view as expressed by Jesus of Nazareth, the Son, rather than Saul of Tarsus, is that salvation shall be decided on what was actually done - i.e. Works.

Jesus himself, when outlining the criteria that will be used for the judgement above says nothing about faith.

Why then do you say that The Biblical View™ is that salvation is through faith alone? Clearly there is strong biblical support from Jesus himself that salvation is through works.

If you were to call it the Gordon Cheng view, I don't think anyone would object - but to call it The Biblical View™ is to leave out large and important sections of the bible - and those from Jesus himself rather than Saul of Tarsus.

I'm screwed. [Frown]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
<snip> Mate, I don't want to be nasty here, but I think there's an irony going on somewhere in this statement [Biased]

No nastiness inferred ... I presume you're suggesting that "process linguistic" is a slightly obscure term [Biased] ? It's an attempt to turn into an adjectival phrase the media notion that we can all fall too easily into "process language." Words like "works" and "personal lord and saviour" become vacuous syllables - some might call them "vain repetitions"
[Biased] - when bandied around with out referece to application in the here and now. So, in other words, what the hell is "a work?"

--------------------

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I'm screwed. [Frown]

I guess it can't hurt asking Mary to put in a good word then? [Angel]

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Now my good works (or lack thereof) may well prove that have integrity or, alternatively, that I am the most dreadful hypocrite and am going to get it in the neck come judgement day. But the only basis for assurance I have is the cross of Christ, to which I'm called on to respond by faith issuing in good works.

Do you personally know with complete assurance whether you are the most dreadful hypocrite or whether you have integrity?

If not, then you cannot be 100% sure of your salvation - after all, is it not possible that you may be a hypocrite, deluding yourself, a person without saving faith after all?

Which collapses to the Roman position - I place my trust in Christ and work out my salvation in fear and trembling, with hope but no assurance...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
quote:
I'm screwed. [Frown]

The Virgin praying for the screwed. There's an irony there.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

I agree with Justinian. This is just one of several similar statements by Jesus. For example:
[QUOTE]

8< many excellent statements of our Lord snipped 8<

That's not the half of it! and there are several similar statements in Paul, eg. from 2 Corinthians 5

quote:
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.
and this zinger from John in Revelation 20:

quote:
12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. 13 And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
<italics mine>

I believe it is absolutely true that we will be judged accoring to what we have done. That is why I am so thankful that not only am I judged, but I am completely forgiven for all by trusting in the work of Jesus completed at the cross.

Actually in that last reading from Revelation, there is a clue to just this because of the mention of the "book of life", where (if your name is written) you will certainly be spared from the lake of fire. And how do you get into that book of life? (the $64 question) According to John earlier in Revelation 13:8, this happens before the foundation of the world.

If our names are written in the book of life before the foundation of the world, it follows that our entrance into the Heavenly city can't possibly be because of any decision we've made, or anything we've done, whether good or evil.

What a delightful assurance for a sinner like me!

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
quote:
I'm screwed. [Frown]

If we are to be judged on our deeds then how would that help?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016